The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Will He Stay Or Will He Go?

9:23 am, Monday, August 10th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 180 Comments

Head coach Steve McClaren had a long meeting before the game with owner Mike Ashley yesterday, and the owner was in his white shirt in the Directors box for the first game of the season, and thankfully Newcastle’s performance was a distinct improvement on the play earlier this year.

We have to think the meeting was about the transfer situation with the transfer window closing three weeks today.

papiss cisse celebrates

Papiss Cisse scored just before half time yesterday

There were some good displays yesterday, but we still need three players brought in before September 1st – but whether that will happen we don’t know.

And there will need to be some players sold too, so there’s still work to do in this transfer window.

We would have thought Cheick Tiote would be his way, but he came on yesterday for the injured Vurnon Anita, and looked a little rusty with his first game since early January, but we think he will stay.

Mike Williamson didn’t even make the bench yesterday after playing in most of the pre-season games,  and it looks like Mike will be sold – to a Premier League or Championship side.

And if we bring in another striker – which seems likely – it looks like Papiss Cisse will be sold,  but he wants to  stay and has said he has no team lined up to join.

This is what Papiss – who scored just before half time yesterday – had to say in the Chronicle:

“I have a contract at Newcastle United. I need to be professional every time I play. I don’t have a team to leave to.”

“I am a Newcastle player. I try to work hard in every game I get.” “I try to forget about last season because it was very, very hard for me,”

“Sometimes I take something back. I stay strong. I always do my best. I enjoy this moment.” “I had injuries and I was in and out the team. I always keep my smile, though.”

“I stay happy because I knew one day I’d come back ready.”

By September 1st we could see Mike Williamson and Papiss Cisse move on, and other players who could leave the club permanently or on loan include Rob Elliot, Sylvain Marveaux, Gael Bigirimana, Mehdi Abeid, Haris Vuckic and Yoan Gouffran.

Shane Ferguson has joined Milwall on a three-month loan deal, and he was a second half substitute in Milwall’s 2-1 win at Shrewsbury on Saturday.

Milwall were relegated from the Championship last season.

Tags: Loan Moves · Management · Papiss Cisse · Premier League · Shane Ferguson · Transfer News and Rumours

180 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jib // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:25 AM

Didn’t know Ed was a Clash fan

• 2 Jib // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:28 AM

I can see a time not too far down the line when Big Al will start and Papiss or Manu Riviere will be the impact subs

• 3 catchy in norway // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:30 AM

while we may not have won the game, I for one was very impressed with how the team was set up and how they went about the game, even obertan had one of his better games, and the main positive for me is that this a brand new way of playing, new players in key positions, I feel we can only get better from this, I think we had 2 very good shouts for pens, all in all very happy

• 4 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:30 AM

150expatmag // Aug 10, 2015 at 5:54 AM

I have to laugh at idiots like Blackley and Brownlie who expect instant success.

Old Blackley has to laugh at you, Expat. I don’t expect instant success. I just say what I see. It wasn’t instant success. It was a very good game and a decent performance. Some players were outstanding. Others were average or worse.

As for me lying about McClaren, when I was 25 yards away and you were in Melbourne, you couldn’t make it up. I don’t even know what you’re saying isn’t true. What are you disputing? Makro and Costco were in the stands, which is good to see. They came down and Makro was berating Colback for not getting his head up and spraying it wide.

Anyone at SJP and not on the other side of the world who can vouch for what I’m saying?

• 5 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:32 AM

nut meg,
    Yeah, there seems to be plans to bring more in if we can. A leader of the line is key, and some more width – Obertan did okay yesterday by all accounts, but in reality if he is getting starts, then it shows we have a weakness there.

• 6 nut meg // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:33 AM

It was mentioned on the post match interview with SM that he had a long meeting with MA yesterday before the game. I’m hoping it was about our much needed reinforcements for our defence. Now that would put a spring in my step!!

• 7 Jail for Ashley // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:34 AM

I saw the camera pan in on Mclaren as he angrily put the phone down on someone, I’d love to think it was on the odious looking Lee Churnley after he told him what substitution to make.

• 8 Jail for Ashley // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:36 AM

I don’t know why Aarons isn’t getting a start, Obertan got an assist which will mask how poor he is.

• 9 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:38 AM

It does seem odd that Aarons isn’t starting ahead of Obertan. It can’t be based on talent, so maybe he is just being eased in to protect against injuries.

• 10 Laurent Robert 32 // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:38 AM

It was an enjoyable game where we attempted to go forward as a team, and massively noticeable was the difference in coaching already, even down to Krul’s distribution.

The centre halves would split either side of our box to look to receive the ball, that didn’t happen under the last set of dinosaurs coaching the team. Even when warming up, you could see the drills involved 5 or 6 one-touch passes on the edge of the before the ball the ball would come in.

During the game you could see that the team had better shape in relation to each other – not like before when everyone hung back and left Cisse massively isolated, generally sitting back hoping two or three could randomly score from a break.

The passing up until the last 15-20mins was generally improved in the way they moved with each other, and there looked to be a genuine will to push forward as a team without leaving massive gaps because of sitting back.

It was a lot more balanced, and it was a relief, if anything, to see us attempt to do something like this. Already proving that coaching was clueless with the last lot. Why? Because all these noticeable aspects of patterns of play were put into action with a matter of weeks of SM and his team being here. Yet Pinocchio and his dummies couldn’t improve these little matters over the course of years.

There is a long way to go with development, but seeing an improvement already playing as a team again was great to see. I don’t mind us committing bodies forward at all. It was far more balanced in attacking areas.

Oh, and great pace and cross from Obertan who I thought had a decent game. I really hope that they can work on his confidence, he has some very good attributes. Confidence and anxiety can crush many a player, regardless of their ability to perform a fundamental task.

I hope we can continue to develop as a team.

Mitrovic is a solid unit, not surprised he ‘likes contact’ in games. We laughed at his 10 second booking or whatever it was.

• 11 Our Toon // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:39 AM

I think I may have watched a different game to most others yesterday. Anita was poor, yes he dropped in with the defence and offered the short pass into him. Was always available for the pass amd retained possession but every time he passed forward he gave it away. Sideways passing he was fine, he couldn’t control Mane at all who he lost time after time. On the ball he was ok, without the ball he was lost, couldn’t track runners, outbattled and out muscled!!

• 12 Our Toon // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:43 AM

I said yesterday that the 2 worst players on the pitch both got assists for us, the cross from obertan was excellent no doubting that but he did very little else in the entire game. Haidara got an assist but the clown allowed tadic to use his stronger foot to cross for the equaliser.

• 13 Marty-Toon // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:49 AM

One huge plus was Gouffran not being near the first team selection.
    Tiote understandably wasn’t up to speed and barely touched the ball,strange to put him in and compromise the points at stake.
    Colback did well but slows us down,I’m glad Anita is in there with him as he gets the ball moving a lot quicker.
    Don’t think Tiote and Colback is a good mix as they both like to play the ball across and backwards.
    Impressed in pre season again and yesterday with Obertan,hopefully it’s a injury free year for him,he’s been more direct and gives us a great outlet.
    Sissoko had several good runs and broke up play,he also made a couple of good chances.
    Would like to see Ayoze getting a chance too as he showed good movement last year

• 14 Slank // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:54 AM

Jail @ 8

I believe Obertan had the nod over Aarons because he is better at defensive duties. Against the Germans it was Aarons who lost the ball and then fouled the player and then got in the way of Saylor.

However, Aarons is still better going forward than Obertan.

• 15 Toonfan8 // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:55 AM

how come that Mane has most his chances after Anita was injured if he couldnt keep him out? He keept him out better than Tiote or Colback

• 16 nut meg // Aug 10, 2015 at 9:59 AM

I know there’s a few people on here who watch the Dutch league so can anybody comment on the defending side of Jetro Willems game? He’s been talked about on here a lot, I have seen a few clips but they were mainly about his excellant attacking play.

• 17 John Tudor // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:00 AM

more like rotheram for mike

• 18 jayphoto // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:02 AM

Saw enough yesterday to be optimistic! Southampton are a very good, settled side who were 2 weeks ahead of us when it comes to competitive games!
    Pros- Sissoko looked interested. Anita looked dynamic! Mitro looked nuts!
    Thought Mbemba and Colo had the makings of a partnership! Both slightly off the pace for fitness so can only get better.
    Gini will be a superstar! Don’t know how he wasn’t picked up by a champions league team! Don’t care! Thrilled we have him!
    First time in a year Obertan has shown his pace and gone to the byline rather than cutting in!
    No long balls!
    No gouffran or Williamson!

Cons- cisse doesn’t have the control to play possession football. His first touch is awful. Most of his goals are first time shots, it’s probably because he rarely gets a chance to take a second touch. Not entirely sure some of his goals arent just lucky bad attempts to control the ball.
    Cons- not sure Krul has great control of his area! Could have done better for both goals with his positioning.
    De Jong and Tiote looked way off the pace. Not surprisingly given their injury problems. Both are 2 of our better players but need to work hard now to get fit! U21 games a must for both.
    Haidara offers little at LB! Dummett probably the better option but could do with a LB with experience. We were linked with Ashley Cole on a year loan in july, someone like that would help!

• 19 Slank // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:04 AM

There were many positive things than negatives yesterday. Of the few negatives:

Tiote: He looked very rusty, not surprising really as he has hardly featured in pre-season. Hopefully more training and practice games will address that.

De Jong: He looked slow, painfully so. Unlike Tiote he has featured in the pre-season games so it’s a concern if this is his normal tempo.

Mitrovic: He needs a good talking to about being tough without it bringing to the attention of the officials.

• 20 jayphoto // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:04 AM

Also yesterday mcClaren had genuine options off the bench! Add cabella and dummett to that soon! Great to see!

• 21 tooned in // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:06 AM

Re Aarons not getting on – I think a combination of Anita injury and Wini having worked so hard and Cissee not having 80mins in his legs yet lead to subs being made – if Anita had stayed fit I think he would have come on for OB1 ?

• 22 Our Toon // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:06 AM

Toon fan

Mane had as you put it most of his chances late on because Southampton were fitter than us and rallied late on. In terms of conditioning and match sharpness they are miles ahead of us, don’t forget for the first goal we conceded it was Mane who ran with the ball unchallenged across our midfield to pass it wide for Soares to cross for them to score. Mane got in time after time when Anita was on the pitch but it took Mbemba to bail him out.

• 23 deeps // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:07 AM

Gotta keep in mind that Colo and Mbemba didn’t play in pre season.. So they will take Time to get used to each other.. And also Southampton had played a few more competitive games than us (Europe) hence were more fitter than us too..
    Mc should stick with the same team vs swansea.. If any changes then maybe Aarons for Obertan

• 24 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:09 AM

Whatever happens in transfer market they cannot let Cisse go until they have bought someone who has premiership pedigree – as we will not have a proven goalcorer.
    As for Mitrovic – jury’s out looks a bit of a bull in a chin a shop yes he will get stuck in challenge for everything but will he get the goals.
    PS – anyone else seen the images of Mbemba turning up at the game in his tuxcdo and dickie bow tie and – looked dapper!

• 25 Laurent Robert 32 // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:10 AM

Still need more players of the quality which we’ve just brought in though, we’re understocked in relation to the ones we’ve let go. Wish Ben Arfa was still here. I’ve watched the You Tube vids of him playing for Nice. Skipping past people for fun, joy to watch. Scapegoat of the century.

• 26 Our Toon // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:11 AM

It was Cisse who chased the clearance and played the ball over the top for obertan to cross a corker right on Wijnaldum’s head. Cisse also crossed the ball for Colo in the 1st half which was pushed away by yoshida’s hand but defo not a pen. It was cisse who took a touch to shift it and then shot straight at the keeper and it was Cisse who took a massive horrible touch in the box but still got a corner.

• 27 Jail for Ashley // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:13 AM

There seemed to be more a fresh optimism about the place yesterday, how have they been allowed to get away with a policy that frowned upon success for three years now. It is beyond me how Beardsley and Moncur fronted a regime which we suspected did not want to win a cup and has later been confirmed, we’ve basically been ripped off since finishing fifth.

• 28 Our Toon // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:14 AM

Laurent Robert

I watched the Nice game against Monaco, Arfa looked trim and did well, he even played Right Back when Nice had a player sent off for 10 mins. He was tracking back at times but he was also walking back at times. Mainly though he operated behind the striker

• 29 Our Toon // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:18 AM

For me the priority now has to be to get a Left Back. I can’t think of many good ones for our level. The mackems have a decent LB but he got ripped by Mahrez repeatedly. Any ideas anyone?

Not Ashley Cole

• 30 Toonfan8 // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:19 AM

Our Toon
    Mane had two great chances when Anita was off, and you talked that Anita couldnt done forward pass, who passed it to Sissoko when we break them, but that time Sissoko decided to play wrong pass…

• 31 NUFC_LEAZES END // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:20 AM

I’m optimistic now that I saw our fist prem game with mc’claren and how we’d be going about our prem games this season.
    I think the new goalkeeper coach needs to work on kruls distribution because it’s ridiculous how many times the opposition get chances to punish us for it.
    I think Taylor would be a better option than colo next to mbemba at CB but with colo being captain I can’t see mc’claren dropping him.
    Haidara is too predictable on the ball and doesn’t close down the winger quick enough for my liking.
    Cisse goes missing all the time and I think Perez would be my option to start instead of cisse next game .
    Apart from them players I think we played very well yesterday, nice patient passing working the ball from the back instead of hoofing it all the time, so that was a nice breath of fresh air.
    Mitrovic seems like a proper mental case aswell just hope he’s more Diego Costa than balotelli.

• 32 expatmag // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:21 AM

I dont believe you. You quoted word for word what the commentator said. It was the same commentator whether it be in England or Australia.

• 33 nut meg // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:28 AM

For the guys that are questioning why Aarons didn’t start didn’t SM say he was going to ease him gently ? I think everyone in the squad will be getting a fair bit of game time so I wouldn’t worry too much…rotation keeps players fresh & on their toes.

• 34 Our Toon // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:28 AM

Toon fan

You’ve picked out 1 occasion when Anita got a forward pass right, I also remember him trying to find obertan but putting it straight onto Tadic’s head instead and losing the ball, passing it straight to Wanyama at least 3 times. When Krul saved a shot from Soares the ball lopped out in the air, Anita mistimed his jump when no one was around the ball bounced in the box they picked it up and Janmaat closed the player for Anita to get his foot in.

It’s the 1st game though and as I’ve said they are miles ahead of us in terms of match sharpness. By game 7 or 8 you will be saying get Anita out until then enjoy his limited impact and we will reconvene after the 8th game to see if your opinion has changed

• 35 Our Toon // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:30 AM

Looped not lopped

• 36 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:34 AM

I haven’t a clue what words you’re talking about. I didn’t see any tv until motd2 late at night. What did the commentators say? Have I said the exact same thing? If so, so what? We both saw the same thing. We share the English language. Why am I lying?

• 37 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:36 AM

Anita was untidy in his passing. Also, he was often marking Pelle. It was a no contest.

• 38 Jib // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:37 AM

Our Toon
    Lucas Digne from PSG
    Being courted by Roma and Liverpool
    I’d love to scupper the Reds

• 39 WWSBRD // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:39 AM

HBA a scapegoat? Nar he’s just a moody Frenchmen who would disappear for the majority of games

• 40 martoon // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:39 AM

JFA @7 – It was probably a PPI call – “how many times, don’t phone me at work!” 😀

• 41 hibbit // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:45 AM

based on yesterdays game we need a leader in that back 4 and a LB no one controls the line no one taking responsibility in short we dont have a captain and it shows …i honestly dont think haidara /oberton pairing works i know both got assists but just covering the cracks

• 42 jeraziah // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:48 AM

Tancredi Palmeri

Newcastle have bid 19m€ for Inter’s Shaqiri, who anyway has reached an agreement on personal terms with Stoke, that offered 17m€

• 43 gaz 44 // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:51 AM

Does anyone know if collocini slipped it into toonbrothers Mrs, I’m not his fan but his hatred for this guy must be more than footballing reasons

• 44 nut meg // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:51 AM

I agree & that’s why I’ve asked the guys who watch the Dutch league if they can comment on Jetro Willems defensive capabilities. SM had a long meeting with MA before the game yesterday.I really hope it was about our desperate need for defenders.

• 45 corkypants // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:52 AM

positives for me from southampton

Anita’s performance
    how we kept possession
    gini debut goal

krul not coming to collect or punch crosses into the box and his distribution

haidaras in ability to block crosses

tiotes sideways passes and generaly loosing possession

• 46 Lindisfarne // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:54 AM

Lets get it right Dr Ed, we have not only played very poorly since the beginning of 2015 but since the turn of 2014, with I think a six week positive blip. Yesterday was an impressive and improving performance that still showed signs of old frailties, but without the usual collapse when going down despite having most of the possession.

Got to wonder about the lower than expected stat for time on the ball, but the training does seem to be generating better passing and more dynamic play going forward. The loss of energy I can put up with for the benefit of a more cohesive game plan that promises to bring success and adaptibilty to players coming in.

• 47 nut meg // Aug 10, 2015 at 10:57 AM

NO ESCAPE F……..

• 48 the broons // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:03 AM

just saying people who actually watched the game would have known that the whole team stood off them for the second goal and thats how it came about!

Haidaira yes should have squeezed him out but he is massively being made the scapegoat becuase 1. it came from that side the cross. and 2. hes always one of the scapegoats along with anita and obertan.

• 49 Jib // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:05 AM

Raphaël Guerreiro.
    Layvin Kurzawa

• 50 WWSBRD // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:05 AM

I actually think Obertan did alright yesterday, better when on the right but him and Haidara worked well going forward on the left but I do think he was at fault for the cross coming in for the second (though Janmatt was pathetic in losing out to Long)

• 51 davis_toons // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:08 AM

A talented player that have come in at a wrong time…wasted in the hand of a wrong manager and coaches.

• 52 the broons // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:11 AM

Thank you for at least giving an opinion that is not compromised of anything other than what you saw yesterday.

I would much rather hear your view on the game yesterday (which I actually agree with 100%) than hear the usual down and out toon supporters that decide come match day no matter their performance obertan must have done rubbish again because he is rubbish.

Yes Aarons should have started ahead of him but obertan did well and I hope mcclaren told him so too, that boy needs confidence more than anything else.

• 53 jazzyp // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:15 AM

Bad defending has cost Newcastle again Haidara at Left back was found wanting on a number of occasions the toon fans have been saying all close season we need a left back and another central defender the sooner this is sorted the better we have dropped 2 points today and where lucky to hold on for the draw.
    I know Obertan put in a super cross for Wini , but the guy is pants. He does exactly the same as what Gutti used to. Holds the ball up with his back to a player then passes it back….the guy offers nothing.
    Hadaira……Always thought he would make the cut but was absolutely shocking yesterday.His passing, Defensive duties, His crossing, Tactical play, You name it he was bad.
    Tiote…..Anyone at the game would have noticed how much pudding he is carrying and looked way off the pace. Was a cracking player in his day but just doesn’t looked bothered about the toon no more

• 54 will die for the toon army // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:15 AM

Shaqiri pliz b true or am jst day dreaming. We might never get that chance. Sell Goufrann. But that puts Aarons way below the pecking order.
    RM: Sissoko, Perez, Obertan
    LM: Shaqiri, Cabella, Aarons.

It will kill his development or we send him on loan with an option to bring him back in case of emergency.

Attack of:
    Thats good.

• 55 Noel Worst // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:16 AM

Are the whingers anywhere to be seen? This blog is intolerable at times. A group of them now think they sound smart and knowledgeable by moving their attention to grumbling about SDJ because he’s only scored 1 goal in 156 mins and didn’t come on and be the hero yesterday (nobody did or could in a team that was flagging badly).

I suppose if Wijnaldum doesn’t score in his next match he isn’t good enough either, if having a goal after 2 matches is deemed not good enough now.

• 56 the broons // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:16 AM

ben arfas the centuries biggest case of what could’ve been.
    However he will always remain fondly in my newcastle united memoir for the moments of brilliance and entertainment he treated us too. I wish him the best of luck i really do.

• 57 the broons // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:19 AM

noel west

You’re probs right with this lot. And once a payer is deemed bad remember that hes bad for eternity and can never become good ever again because thats how football works *wink* *wink*

• 58 WWSBRD // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:19 AM

Obertan does get a hard go of it from fans, same with Williamson and now it seems Haidara is in the frame to be public enemy no 1 this season but hey thats what NUFC fans do

On Aarons I actually 50 50 on whether he should of started yesterday he was very good in preseason but as McClaren has stated he is going to be introduced slowly and carefully so starting first game goes against that, I think if Anita had stayed fit he would of come on

• 59 jazzyp // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:19 AM

Noel worst
    SDJ only came on for the last ten mins and hardly touched the ball. I don’t see how anyone can slag a player off when he has done nothing wrong.

• 60 Munster Mag // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:20 AM

Observations from Munster Mag:

1. Not sure why people are raving about Mbemba – he was not convincing in the air. However he is much better than the useless and overrated Mbiwa.
    2. I worry that Steve is going to put his trust in him and Colo . That will not work in the air defensively.
    3. So why has Steve now essentially committed to playing Colo all the time by making him captain – Steve’s first serious error IMO
    4. The Dutch lad isnt great defensively either. Very much to blame for one goal and looks a better player on the ball than defensively. This defence will undermine our whole season if not sorted.
    5. Gini – what a player we have here
    6. I would still have loved to sign Cabaye 🙁
    7. Anita will have a great season for us.
    8. I dont think De jong is going to make it. I am worried that his body is just not strong enough. If so, this will represent a bad mistake by the scouting team.
    9. We look miles better already than last season.
    10. Mitrovic wont do a lot if we dont get our wingers sorted – Obertan is just not good enough. He has the football brain of a shoe.
    11. I’d like to see Colo play as a sweeper , alternating between being behind two marking centre backs, and stepping out to be a DM. It might allow our attacking fullbacks some proper licence to go forward, as they are not great defensively. It would also allow us to buy another decent centre back.

Thoughts ?

• 61 davis_toons // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:20 AM

Played such an influential game for his new club

A club that we can’t even dream of winning against.

Lot of damage have been done to him comparing to Obertan.

Bringing too much spotlight to himself have also caused him but maybe that’s how he should be.

• 62 JP...from The Rock // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:22 AM

HBA was my favourite player since Shearer. He was really badly managed by Pardew that quite shockingly used him as a scapegoat publically for no reason. Such a shame and such a talent. He did want to do it all himself at times on the pitch but what a talent and he could hav ebeen immense under McClaren now. I will forever hate Pardew for his treatment on him even though it was him that made the deal permanent.

I wish him all the best in the future and thank him for the memories.

• 63 jazzyp // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:26 AM

Another thing I picked up on yesterday while at the match was Tim Krull’s distribution .
    During warm up his kicking both from hand and off the floor was with pin point accuracy to darlow on the half way line. Yet during the match it was pretty wayward yet again.

• 64 WWSBRD // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:31 AM

HBA offered some good moments and was a bit of fun to watch but he doesnt have the attitude to become what his natural talents could make him

I am long over him leaving

• 65 jazzyp // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:31 AM

Sky Sports News HQ ?@SSN401 · 60 mins60 minutes ago
    BREAKING: Xherdan Shaqiri is on his way to St James Park to discuss personal terms after #NUFC had a €19m bid accepted by Inter Milan #SSNHQ

just picked this up off a website…..Wow if true

• 66 the broons // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:31 AM

Good point on Aarons which is exactly what my dad says to is actually.

• 67 jazzyp // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:33 AM

scratch that its bull lol

• 68 Blofal // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:34 AM

McClaren said on BBC radio that Aarons was great but inconsistent throughout the pre-season.

I’m guessing McClaren has a game plan and the younger players like Perez and Aarons may not be disciplined enough yet to be relied upon as starters.

I think Obertan played very well although he is a right sided player and was playing left last night. He was also excellent last season before he got injured as finally he had a few starts and gained some confidence. If he can string it together it gives us options.

• 69 Oldgit1 // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:34 AM

To all you Colo knockers including Toonbrother.

Every team needs experience, you cannot rely on youth in the defence. Macaren has stated that a good defender is one who is 25yrs of age and over. That’s why I can’t understand the buying of Mbamba however, I would prefer Colo as his mentor than Taylor or Williamson.

Are Chelsea supporters calling for terry to be dropped. He is older and slower than our Colo.

I believe it is necessary to keep Colo whilst the team is in transition, leave the guy alone. I hate to see supporters calling our players we are united or should be.

Btw. Am I the only one that saw the potential in Anita. Liked the player from day one and felt he was used badly by the previous regime. This guy will be a very good player for mcclaran and our team.

• 70 BandB // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:35 AM

Colo and Mbemba have had next to no “minutes” in pre-season, so I was surprised to see them start, especially together.
    Otherwise the team was exactly as I expected, and is a fair reflection of where we are now.
    Obertan is going to play until someone else comes in or Aarons makes a solid case that after last season he can now cope with the rigours of being a regular.
    It is odd to see so many voicing doubts over SDJ so soon. Not so very long ago it was heresy to suggest he might not be an automatic starter. I expect both he and Cabella to have to prove they can displace others from the team.

Two things stood out for me. One is that Wijnaldum may be by some distance the best player we have signed in a long time. His lung busting run to meet Obertan’s cross was almost enough to make you cry, so rare has been that determination in our players in recent years.
    The other was that a cross into our box is still tantamount to a penalty. It needs sorting out.
    I hope we can bring another player with 10 goals in them into the team.
    And I agree with JP about Pardew. I wish he was still here and I would like to imagine McClaren does too.

• 71 JP...from The Rock // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:35 AM

Jazzyp – that would be amazing! Is it really a Skysports source?

• 72 BandB // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:36 AM

I wish Ben Arfa was still here.
    Not Pardew.

• 73 Noel Worst // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:36 AM

Me neither, but there are a bunch that think up these fanciful angles and think it will make them seem visionary, like they can see something others can’t.

• 74 JP...from The Rock // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:36 AM

Jaazyp – it’s bull?!? Damn it man don’t build hopes up like that for nowt!

• 75 Ron Knee // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:37 AM

Did he really mean to say that:

Sunderland coach Robbie Stockdale branded new signing Yann M’Vila “daft” after he sent off playing for the club’s U21s on Sunday.

The former France international head-butted Canaries striker Jamar Loza.

“It’s his first game back and he wants to make an impression,” Stockdale told the Sunderland Echo.

• 76 will die for the toon army // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:40 AM

Shaqiri yessssssss!!!!!!!

• 77 jazzyp // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:41 AM

I did say it was bull mate sorry. I just went with the Sky sports moniker and thought legit !!

As I said mate unless I was day dreaming for the last ten minutes plus overtime for the Anita injury, SDJ hardly touched the ball. So how can you slate a player who didn’t get a chance to do anything and in a team that had run its self into the ground

• 78 Noel Worst // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:42 AM

Yup, a lot see the game in a fixed black & white hue. “He’s terrible, not even a footballer, how does he play in PL? He’s too slow for the PL….” *yawn yawn yawn* ad infinitum.

• 79 Mister Tuff // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:42 AM

Overall, for me, a pleasing aspect yesterday was that Wally and his team are streets ahead of King Percy and his team. I would argue errors were playing Obertron and bringing on a totally unfit/not match ready Mr T.
    So now that that game is out the way, it should be apparent to them what our deficiences are – hopefully they will rectify them. But for me a better start than I had anticipated.

• 80 Jail for Ashley // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:43 AM

You forgot to mention that anyone who wanted rid of Pardew was a short sighted ar$e hole !

• 81 WWSBRD // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:43 AM

U are all going to be very upset when Shaqiri signs for Stoke later today arent u

• 82 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:44 AM

Xherdan Shaqiri is on his way to St James Park to discuss personal terms.

If that’s true then BLOODY ELL
    one of the standout players at last World Cup

• 83 Jib // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:44 AM

Italian site called the front page
    €19million we have leapfrogged Stoke
    $ year contract

• 84 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:44 AM

I think everyone should declare before commenting whether they went to the match or followed a ball around the pitch through a tv window.

So far SDJ has not shown he’s got anything. He came on yesterday for 10 minutes and wasn’t prepared to get a sweat on. That’s not writing someone off or moaning. It’s simply telling it how it is.

• 85 Noel Worst // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:44 AM

It’s a fake SSN account, guys. Please equip yourself with healthy skepticism and an enquiring eye.

• 86 hibbit // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:44 AM

mr broon not sure what you mean by watch the game but from my seat in the milburn stand the oberton/haidara partnership wasn’t working not sure were your coming from about anita most people of the opion he had a good game

• 87 Noel Worst // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:46 AM

I don’t listen to those types that use the phrase “telling it how it is.”, sorry chum!

• 88 calvinzolamakongo // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:47 AM

Anyone that was at the game will know SDJ should of had a penalty last min after being pulled down in box he has great movement i think our attacking unit broke down when socks went central and left no options on the right thats why 3 times mbemba just played a 30 yrd ball to mit coz there was no options down the right

• 89 JamesToon // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:52 AM

I will jizz myself if the Shaqiri rumour is true

• 90 Jib // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:54 AM

Should have said 4 year contract

• 91 WWSBRD // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:55 AM

We dont give 4 year contracts and we arent signing him…plus why would we out bid Stoke at this point we just need to match the offer and talk to him

• 92 expatmag // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:55 AM

You said you have a season ticket. You made a big carry on a few weeks ago even offering to meet people to show them the said ticket which we all actually found quite comical.

A few threads back, you mentioned McLaren losing jus cool

• 93 jazzyp // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:56 AM

I was at the game thankyou and could have sworn I saw SDJ getting a sweat on by running through on goal and was denied by what looked like a penalty…. But hey what do we know

• 94 calvinzolamakongo // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:59 AM

Init jazzyp

• 95 expatmag // Aug 10, 2015 at 11:59 AM

Blackley (cont.)

You said McLaren lost his cool with Colback because he wouldnt switch play.

These were the exact (and I mean exact) words used by the commentators during the game.

I reckon you were watching it on tv and not live, as you said.

• 96 Jib // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:01 PM

Blackley I have no axe to grind with you.
    However you are living proof that possession of Season Ticket doesn’t make you an expert.
    Many moons ago I had an ST in the Popular Stand (it was the time of that guy that worked in the Gulf giving that Arabic ululating cry throughout the game).
    Next to me were 3 farmers from the Alnwick area ST holders who came into the Town every other Saturday and while their wives were shopping went to the match.
    What the 3 of them knew about footy could be written on the back of a postage stamp.
    The comments they came out with were at times jaw dropping.
    You remind me a bit of them.

• 97 lochinvar // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:03 PM

Google Translation of the Italian web site:
    Stoke leapfrogged the Swiss striker moved to Newcastle . Sounding the news Sky Sports UK . Although the player was at the Britannia Stadium to follow the match from Stoke lost against Liverpool , it seems that the Magpies have accepted the request of Inter to pay all 19 million for the Swiss card .
    Xherdan Shaqiri would be directed to St. James ‘ Park to discuss the contract is expected to have a duration of four years .

Maybe he was on his way north and stopped off to watch a Prem game ?
    Maybe Liverpool have cash to splash ?
    Maybe Everton who were rumoured to be interested but unlikely
    Maybe Mark Hughes indicted that Stoke would like him to sign but didn’t sound too convincing

World Class player – new signings already in at Newcastle – 52,000 fans,

Its not over until the fat lady sings – all for about £13.5m

• 98 will die for the toon army // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:04 PM

Shaqiri story is fake it had got me excited.

• 99 JDdubai // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:04 PM

Its been about a month+ since stoke’s offer was accepted, if we were really interested we would have sorted it out by now.

Maybe his agent wanted a few more grand so played hardball and pretended we were still a possibility.

Cant see it happening, he’ll be announced at stoke today.

• 100 WWSBRD // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:06 PM

Shaqiri is at Stoke having a medical apparently

• 101 will die for the toon army // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:07 PM

Wat happened to soccer sauce.

• 102 will die for the toon army // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:08 PM

May b Shaqiri gave us a cold shoulder.

• 103 lochinvar // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:09 PM

Graham McGarry
    BBC Radio Stoke Sport
    Posted at 09:57
    Stoke boss Mark Hughes is quietly confident of securing the signing of long-term target Xherdan Shaqiri.

Xherdan Shaqiri.

Swiss international forward was at the Britannia Stadium on Sunday yesterday to watch the 1-0 defeat by Liverpool.

An agreement has been reached with Inter Milan, but Stoke still have to persuade the 23-year-old to sign.

“We are still in discussions to bring in a top-class player,” said Hughes. “If we can do it I think we will have had a good window.”

Note – ” still have to persuade the 23 year old too sign” and thats from the Radio Stoke publicity machine

I thinks he’s or his Agent are doing the rounds to see what’s on offer

If Everton get £30m for Stones that might be an outside possibility for him but who would want to play for a City;s second team /

We shall see…

• 104 Laurent Robert 32 // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:09 PM

Our Toon, good that Hatem played well against Monaco. I have the Nice fixtures saved on my phone to watch if I can this year.

• 105 one fine day // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:10 PM

That thought has crossed my mind on many occasions 🙂
    Wonder if all his kids have a kind of side show bob look about them .
    I am not colo biggest fan either but that’s purely based on things such as he was constantly trying to engineer a move away with his father when we needed him badly and there so many better options we should be signing now but to physically hate a player because he isn’t good enough just seems a step away from reality.
    Saying that I thought Dennis wise was always an out and out c@@t and he has never been anywhere near my missus 🙂

• 106 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:11 PM

Last post on soccer sauce was Saturday and it said we are still gonna sign Austin

• 107 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:12 PM

• 108 Sir Braveheart // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:12 PM

I didn’t see the game in full so came on here to read the comments and determine who played well. So far I’ve established that:

Anita had a great game except for the fact that he was the worst player on the pitch apart from Obertan, who was rubbish but played well. Haidara is excellent going forward but poor attacking whilst simultaneously being a dreadful yet competant defender.

Collback saved us a point despite being abaent all game. Their two goals were the fault of Colo, Mbemba, Jaanmat, the tea lady and John Carver. Cisse couldn’t hit a barn door from two paces but gets into great positions and is invaluable to us.

Wini was outstanding. Thats about all everyone agrees on.

• 109 jazzyp // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:13 PM

Hadaira was the worst player on the pitch yesterday by far. Does that mean he is deemed not good enough ?
    Siem de jong has gone through a rough time with injuries. And personally I hope he has finally come through the worst of it. The lad is a damn fine player and hopefully he can come good for us.
    what I am saying is give the guy a break and give him a chance before writing him off after 10 mins.
    cast your mind back to pre season last summer and the blog was raving about him. Maybe the collapsed lung has taken its toll who knows but give him a fair chance for crying out loud !!

• 110 Tsunki // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:13 PM

Leave go of the ‘ better fan’ thing for crying out loud that’s getting old. Loads of us here have had ST’s but as Jeff said I’ve had blokes sat around me muttering the most cringeingly embarrassing, stupid, inane rubbish, the type that thought their disposable income gave them the right to expert knowledge. No such thing as a ‘ better fan’ there’s just more valued customers.

Now where was I? Oh yes – the long term critique of yesterday’s game. What a waste of time. SM has taken over a team in ruins, crap players, all demotivated, injuries, lack of fitness – he’s slightly patched it up during a summer window encompassing a tour he needed like a hole in the head, and he’s pushed a makeshift side onto the pitch that has barely played together let alone had a competitive run. To say we were honours even in itself is a credit to the man for cobbling that result. I’m glad for him we didn’t lose or the real nuggets would have been out in force on the blog.

Let’s just take this as it is, a tentative step forward while patching up is in progress. Writing off players at this stage is just pathetic.

• 111 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:15 PM

You now look completely ridiculous again. I make the point that Makro was going mad with Colback for not switching play – on more than one occasion for your information. I sit in the 1892 bar. Do you know where that is? It’s behind Makro. I could see him berating Colback. Because I said this and used the same or similar words as your commentators who keep you informed, I never went to the game and I’m lying. You really are a sad individual.

• 112 WWSBRD // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:16 PM

I dont think Haidara was the worst player on the pitch at all

• 113 Moonraker15 // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:18 PM

HBA was my favourite player he is brilliant. Whatever is said about Pardew and he is a total knob (there’s nothing worse than a Cockney knob), he ruined Hatems’ career at Newcastle through bad man management and the way he treated Jonas was a disgrace.

He should appreciate that his spell at Newcastle saved his dwindling career next time he starts slagging off Ashley. He would’ve been sacked by most owners and would be applying for division 2 jobs.

• 114 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:19 PM

This blog has gone from the boycott blog to the don’t say anything negative blog. Incredible.

It really does hit a raw nerve to say that you get a different view of the game when you’re there than when you watch on tv. I watch away games on tv too. I respect the opinions of our away fans who see something completely different to me. They’re best placed to comment.

• 115 WWSBRD // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:20 PM

Tbf mate u thinking ur opinion means more because u were at the game isnt showing u in a good light

• 116 Noel Worst // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:21 PM

About covers it! Accurate summary.

• 117 jazzyp // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:21 PM

Sir braveheart

Im a big fan of Hadaira mate but the lad just didn’t show up yesterday.He was all over the place defensively and tactically constantly making schoolboy errors.
    Obertan although an excellent cross offers nothing
    Tiote looked more like porky the pig than the Mr T of old
    Wini the wonder horse looks an awesome talent
    Sissoko had a good game and looked focused again.

I still say we lack a player with flair who can unlock a defence as the ball was often played side ways.
    But was impressed by how we played with purpose yesterday rather than hoof ball

• 118 Mister Tuff // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:22 PM

From what I can gather at the moment there is a good chance that Jib and Blackley are farmers from the Alnwick area.

• 119 jazzyp // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:22 PM

who you going for then bud ??

• 120 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:23 PM

Of course many fans who go to the match have a few jars and their views are compromised. I know what it’s like. I’ve done it before. You get a warped view of the game. Same happens if you drink watching tv. Sorry if I’ve hit another raw nerve among drinkers.

• 121 lesh // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:23 PM

If it’s any comfort, Haidara features in the Guardian’s team of the weekend.

Or maybe the Guardian (Louise Taylor wrote the match report) got it wrong?

• 122 doofa the loofa // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:24 PM

Bnb.. busted you lying scum bag.. 😉

• 123 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:25 PM

It just makes sense that you see a game of football. All 22 0layers at the same time for 90 mins. Tv is vompletely different. I’ve been in both sides.

• 124 The Newcastle Armchair // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:27 PM

Lol. Used to live up Alnwick.

By god do they think they know football.

• 125 WWSBRD // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:28 PM

Id say all the Southampton back 4 (particularly their RB) were worse than him, Janmatt was no better than Haidara for me, Obertan the same and Tiote was far too slow (though thats to be expected)

Did he really? Haha not sure Id go that far but must of been a bad weekend for LBs

• 126 JAMSHA // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:30 PM

Xherdan Shaqiri is having a medical at Stoke City ahead of a proposed move from Inter Milan, according to Sky sources.

• 127 WWSBRD // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:31 PM

From the same token at the match u only see it from one point of view and u can only see things once

• 128 Sav // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:34 PM

I don’t mind ‘split CBs’ when Krul is kicking out. Its when the oppo no.9 is standing on the penalty spot it bothers me.

• 129 spaghetti bandit // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:35 PM

Tancredi palmeri is an Italian journalist who works on the sky network over there and writes for gazetto della sport its not jus some kid in his room who has jus wrote summit for a frisk,, coukd hopefully have a bit truth in it also means we could still splash th coin on the rite quality players

• 130 TheToonKing // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:36 PM

I think this Shaqiri story is bull. I can’t find that tweet mentioned on here in SkySports stream and he already was at Stoke yesterday and had the medical.

I think we lost out on this one.

• 131 Jib // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:36 PM

It aint over until Mr Tuf…… sorry the Fat Lady , sings.

• 132 spaghetti bandit // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:36 PM

We all seen him at th stoke Liverpool game yesterday so obviously hes there but he’s already turned his nose up at them once,, Stoke have loads of wingers aswell we definitely need another winger

• 133 Magpie Season // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:39 PM

“Looks like Mike Williamson will be sold”

– Ed.

Proof that god does exist.

• 134 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:40 PM

Hey up, Ober gains a spine?

• 135 Magpie Season // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:40 PM

Anyone see Darren Lehman at the Stoke game as well.
    Can’t believe that fat bastard went.

• 136 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:42 PM

I think theres more to the shaqiri story than meets the eye, we have supposedly bid more than Stoke

• 137 Tsunki // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:43 PM

Well like many on here I’ve been to many matches and sat all over the ground and of course I’ve watched many to matches. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. I’d say those who have been to games and have watched tv games have an advantage in that they can relate the mood of the crowd, off camera antics, banter etc, but in the end, you don’t need to turn up in person to judge whether a player is good or bad, or whether the tactics were right or wrong.

• 138 WWSBRD // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:44 PM

I dont think he would be having/had a medical at Stoke if he were signing for NUFC though…unless Stoke are very accommodating to us

• 139 lochinvar // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:45 PM

Jamsha – we all need to need to read the wording carefully… he has supposedly “HAS passed a medical” …but then again ” But the club (Stoke) is unable to announce his signing”

If he decides for Stoke then thats his decision, but if better offers have been lodged with Inter / Bayern then it might be complicated

Wonder who’s Play Station he’s having a go on ?

STOKE City have agreed personal terms with Inter Milan winger Xherdan Shaqiri and the Swiss international has passed a medical.

But the club is unable to announce his signing – believed to be in the region of £12m – because Everton and Newcastle have not backed off from the deal themselves.
    Shaqiri appears to favour Stoke after attending yesterday’s 1-0 home defeat to Liverpool and subsequently sewing up loose ends over his condition and personal terms.

But the deal is still in limbo for now because Inter Milan are, in effect, not the only selling club.

Bayern Munich, who let Shaqiri join Inter in January with strings attached, also have a vested interest in his sale and could yet influence the final outcome.

The club’s hierarchy remains frustrated, but still hopeful of eventually pulling off the headline signing they have been pursuing all summer.

Read more:
    Follow us: @SentinelStaffs on Twitter | sentinelstaffs on Facebook

• 140 Magpie Season // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:45 PM

As most have mentioned that was the strongest bench I have seen for us in a long time.

How long that is the case, be it injuries or transfers, I just hope we have a consistent starting 11. I think by 10 games we should figure out our first 11.

Still doubts over (assuming same formation):
    1st choice:
    Wide Midfielders
    1 holding midfielder

Rest I think team picks itself.

• 141 Jib // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:47 PM

I was going to say earlier that Obertan did quite a canny interview on NUFCtv
    His English is good and he’s not the thicko his appearance suggests.
    His game when the oppo have the ball still needs a lot of work.

• 142 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:47 PM

Lochinvar, thank you for illustrating my point 🙂

• 143 WWSBRD // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:50 PM

More likely Shaqiri’s agent it pulling names from a hat in order to get Stoke to pay more for him

• 144 spaghetti bandit // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:52 PM

Modric was spotted at our training ground and we all know happened there,, a personally don’t see him signing for us but players have been due to sign for a club then changed their minds hundreds of times

• 145 lochinvar // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:55 PM

BREAKING NEWS from Sky at noon

According to the Stoke news he had already passed his medical ?
    Must have a dodgy knee if he needs two medicals !

If not Shaqiri then NUFC have other plans afoot….

• 146 lochinvar // Aug 10, 2015 at 12:59 PM

The Newcastle Armchair @ 124
    You’re right about that lot from Alnwick
    They saw various Harry Potters up there and thought he was a Stoke player as well

• 147 jazzyp // Aug 10, 2015 at 1:13 PM

Stoke have already agreed a fee

• 148 Mister Tuff // Aug 10, 2015 at 1:16 PM

I’ve got a mate who fancies going into farming.
    Jib/Blackley – can either of you recommend a good tractor that is well made.

• 149 lochinvar // Aug 10, 2015 at 1:19 PM

Chronicle ( 3 minutes after Sky reported Shaqri having his medical at Stoke )
    Newcastle United have been linked to Xherdan Shaqiri, despite the Inter Milan winger reportedly set to sign for Stoke City for €17m (£12m).

beIN Sports correspondent Tancredi Palmeri, said on Twitter that the Magpies have bid €19m (£13.4m) for Shaqiri, despite the player having already agreed personal terms with Stoke.

Palmeri also posted that Everton have bid €17m (£12m) for the Swiss international.

• 150 Toonfan8 // Aug 10, 2015 at 1:29 PM

Is this Shaqiri rumour true?

• 151 Munster Mag // Aug 10, 2015 at 1:36 PM

FFS lads he’s going to Stoke, give it up will ye ? Can anyone else see my concerns re Mbemba and Colo together – either would do well with a bigger man, but it seems that Steve has decided they will be together, end of story – by making Colo the captain. So we can now assume that we will NOT be buying the experienced centre back that they club has needed for the last few years 🙁

• 152 Ketsbaia9 // Aug 10, 2015 at 1:38 PM

We need Shaqiri, Van Dijk, Zarate and Kongolo/Kolorov

• 153 Ketsbaia9 // Aug 10, 2015 at 1:39 PM

Loic Remy was at an Arsenal match, but he signed for Chelsea. It doesn’t mean Shaqiri will definitely sign for them. Shaqiri would transform us.

• 154 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 10, 2015 at 1:40 PM

• 155 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 10, 2015 at 1:42 PM

No one picked up on the fact Diego rolan has been left out of Bordeaux last 2 games, move close? #nufc

• 156 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 10, 2015 at 1:42 PM

MailOnline Sport ?@MailSport · 3 mins3 minutes ago
    BREAKING: Joey Barton having West Ham medical

• 157 expatmag // Aug 10, 2015 at 1:47 PM

Nothing mad about me. I can spot a village idiot a mile off and you top the list……by a country mile.

• 158 Sliema // Aug 10, 2015 at 1:51 PM

Anyone know where I can watch motd online without a vpn? I have a paid for vpn which I usually use but just changed banks and haven’t set it up yet. Cheers

• 159 JP...from The Rock // Aug 10, 2015 at 1:52 PM

Shaquiri would be a huge improvement from Obertan. Though tbf Obertan did have his best game for us yesterday.

• 160 lochinvar // Aug 10, 2015 at 1:56 PM

Stoke worried about not signing Shaqiri so are rumoured to be trying to poach Joey Barton from West Ham…… not that I attach any truth to that story

• 161 John Tudor // Aug 10, 2015 at 1:56 PM

defenders who can defend more of a must

• 162 Our Toon // Aug 10, 2015 at 1:56 PM

Rolan has just returned to training because he was at the Copa America. Same with Sanchez and Aguero etc

• 163 will die for the toon army // Aug 10, 2015 at 2:02 PM

If we signed Shaqiri,
    1. He wld improve our team by 2 positions
    2. I wld trust whatever Mike said on the last day.

• 164 Novocastrian66 // Aug 10, 2015 at 2:03 PM

Munster; agree with you on both counts. We struggled to deal with the long ball to Pelle with him winning virtually every ball. Other teams with big centire forwards will not doubt seek to exploit this weakness. We need more defensively.

• 165 lochinvar // Aug 10, 2015 at 2:05 PM

If West Ham pay a reasonable amount to QPR for Joey Barton then that might help them justify to themselves a lower
    and more realistic price for Austin ?

Still waiting for our ” surprise” signing – suppose if we got Shaqiri at this late stage does that count ?

• 166 JamesToon // Aug 10, 2015 at 2:07 PM

Agree kets, remember when we all thought we had Rémy in the bag then qpr came and got him from under our noses?

I wanted Zárate before he went to West Ham, really underrated player

• 167 lochinvar // Aug 10, 2015 at 2:10 PM

Roy Hodgson was at Stoke yesterday as well as Shaqiri
    Maybe he’s Stoke’s target !

• 168 Our Toon // Aug 10, 2015 at 2:11 PM

Shakiri has gone lads move on, if we were interested he’d have been here instead of Stoke yesterday.

• 169 jazzyp // Aug 10, 2015 at 2:12 PM

I was sat abt 10 seats away from Lee clark yesterday,, May be he is our surprise signing !!

• 170 martoon // Aug 10, 2015 at 2:15 PM

Lochinvar – I’m pretty sure Barton was released by QPR so no transfer fee required!

• 171 John Tudor // Aug 10, 2015 at 2:15 PM

i was sat close to mcclaren and boy does he fart

• 172 Ian Toon // Aug 10, 2015 at 2:16 PM

Tsunki @137. – have to disagree. You can’t see the movement off the ball and are greatly influenced by others assessment and reading of situations. I enjoyed your journey around The Championship but this penance is plain daft.
    Seeing and experiencing SJP in the opening game of a new season is something special. It was when I first went as a five year old to watch a newly formed Premier League and I thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience upon returning for an infrequent visit yesterday.
    It’s always been as part of a passionate community with a shared goal.
    Whilst watching football on television is only watching a game. However when you visit a ground, you experience a game and everything that goes with it. The atmosphere, noise, the mingled colours and football rivalr, hostility and the sheer competitive air of representing your community team.
    Going to SJP and sensing all the anticipation of a new season is always special even in those dog days of Carver on the final day; which fortunately weren’t our final days in the PL. Whilst other priorities exclude much live support I still experience the same satisfaction when I can. AND you can too.

• 173 martoon // Aug 10, 2015 at 2:20 PM

Incidentally I’ve sent the prediction results to Ed and he said he will publish them. I imagine he will probably wait for a slow news day 😉

• 174 nut meg // Aug 10, 2015 at 2:20 PM

Not just big CFs , Aguero & Suarez for starters also. Every manager in the PL knows how bad our defence is.They all know they have every chance of scoring goals against us.

• 175 will die for the toon army // Aug 10, 2015 at 2:22 PM

I think Shaqiri is a Stoke player.

• 176 Essex Geordie Bill // Aug 10, 2015 at 2:22 PM

For my two pennorth

I reckon Krull should have saved both of their goals, he was completely flat-footed for the second one. I thought we now had a top GK coach in place of Woodman!!

I thought Haidara had a good game considering he was expected to be doubling up as a left winger.

And I never ever want to hear again the excuse by Mr McClaren that the lads were tired after 75 minutes!!

Shouldn’t even be on the pitch if they aren’t in a fit enough condition to last the whole match plus any extra time.

Apart from the fact it sounds pathetic, if I was an opposing manager I’d be thinking oh good we’ll wait till they are worn out, poor things.

By the way whilst I was watching some MLS game it was mentioned that Spurs played an All Star select eleven pre season. We were playing reserve teams, even more pathetic, no wonder our lot aren’t ‘Match-Fit’

• 177 Ian Toon // Aug 10, 2015 at 2:22 PM

Expatmag- So much for you keeping a low profile after shouting the odds on an Aussie victory in the Ashes. Social media are having a field day – I particularly liked the picture of Rolf Harris and the caption ” One Aussie who won’t be out before lunch”.
    Oh happy days.

• 178 JP...from The Rock // Aug 10, 2015 at 2:37 PM

Can’t believe Stoke F-ing Stoke!.. will be able to snatch up Shaqiri to a long term contract! We need to disrupt those negotiations and take him away from them ASAP!

• 179 lochinvar // Aug 10, 2015 at 2:47 PM

Martoon – Joey Barton
    no discount on Austin then !

• 180 davis_toons // Aug 10, 2015 at 3:54 PM

I like how McClaren and Ian Cathro way of training. Maybe is a Spanish mix way..and they are serious about it.

With the Right Leader, we can build a team. A good team.

previous post: It’s Neck And Neck For Our Man of the Match