Will He Stay Or Will He Go?

Head coach Steve McClaren had a long meeting before the game with owner Mike Ashley yesterday, and the owner was in his white shirt in the Directors box for the first game of the season, and thankfully Newcastle’s performance was a distinct improvement on the play earlier this year.

We have to think the meeting was about the transfer situation with the transfer window closing three weeks today.

papiss cisse celebrates

Papiss Cisse scored just before half time yesterday

There were some good displays yesterday, but we still need three players brought in before September 1st – but whether that will happen we don’t know.

And there will need to be some players sold too, so there’s still work to do in this transfer window.

We would have thought Cheick Tiote would be his way, but he came on yesterday for the injured Vurnon Anita, and looked a little rusty with his first game since early January, but we think he will stay.

Mike Williamson didn’t even make the bench yesterday after playing in most of the pre-season games,  and it looks like Mike will be sold – to a Premier League or Championship side.

And if we bring in another striker – which seems likely – it looks like Papiss Cisse will be sold,  but he wants to  stay and has said he has no team lined up to join.

This is what Papiss – who scored just before half time yesterday – had to say in the Chronicle:

“I have a contract at Newcastle United. I need to be professional every time I play. I don’t have a team to leave to.”

“I am a Newcastle player. I try to work hard in every game I get.” “I try to forget about last season because it was very, very hard for me,”

“Sometimes I take something back. I stay strong. I always do my best. I enjoy this moment.” “I had injuries and I was in and out the team. I always keep my smile, though.”

“I stay happy because I knew one day I’d come back ready.”

By September 1st we could see Mike Williamson and Papiss Cisse move on, and other players who could leave the club permanently or on loan include Rob Elliot, Sylvain Marveaux, Gael Bigirimana, Mehdi Abeid, Haris Vuckic and Yoan Gouffran.

Shane Ferguson has joined Milwall on a three-month loan deal, and he was a second half substitute in Milwall’s 2-1 win at Shrewsbury on Saturday.

Milwall were relegated from the Championship last season.

• Jib

Aug 10, 2015 at 9:25 AM

Didn’t know Ed was a Clash fan

• Jib

Aug 10, 2015 at 9:28 AM

I can see a time not too far down the line when Big Al will start and Papiss or Manu Riviere will be the impact subs

• catchy in norway

Aug 10, 2015 at 9:30 AM

while we may not have won the game, I for one was very impressed with how the team was set up and how they went about the game, even obertan had one of his better games, and the main positive for me is that this a brand new way of playing, new players in key positions, I feel we can only get better from this, I think we had 2 very good shouts for pens, all in all very happy

• Blackley and Brownlie

Aug 10, 2015 at 9:30 AM

150expatmag // Aug 10, 2015 at 5:54 AM

I have to laugh at idiots like Blackley and Brownlie who expect instant success.

Old Blackley has to laugh at you, Expat. I don’t expect instant success. I just say what I see. It wasn’t instant success. It was a very good game and a decent performance. Some players were outstanding. Others were average or worse.

As for me lying about McClaren, when I was 25 yards away and you were in Melbourne, you couldn’t make it up. I don’t even know what you’re saying isn’t true. What are you disputing? Makro and Costco were in the stands, which is good to see. They came down and Makro was berating Colback for not getting his head up and spraying it wide.

Anyone at SJP and not on the other side of the world who can vouch for what I’m saying?

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 10, 2015 at 9:32 AM

nut meg,
    Yeah, there seems to be plans to bring more in if we can. A leader of the line is key, and some more width – Obertan did okay yesterday by all accounts, but in reality if he is getting starts, then it shows we have a weakness there.

• nut meg

Aug 10, 2015 at 9:33 AM

repost
    Lilo
    It was mentioned on the post match interview with SM that he had a long meeting with MA yesterday before the game. I’m hoping it was about our much needed reinforcements for our defence. Now that would put a spring in my step!!

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 10, 2015 at 9:34 AM

I saw the camera pan in on Mclaren as he angrily put the phone down on someone, I’d love to think it was on the odious looking Lee Churnley after he told him what substitution to make.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 10, 2015 at 9:36 AM

Lilongwe,
    I don’t know why Aarons isn’t getting a start, Obertan got an assist which will mask how poor he is.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 10, 2015 at 9:38 AM

Jail,
    It does seem odd that Aarons isn’t starting ahead of Obertan. It can’t be based on talent, so maybe he is just being eased in to protect against injuries.

• Laurent Robert 32

Aug 10, 2015 at 9:38 AM

It was an enjoyable game where we attempted to go forward as a team, and massively noticeable was the difference in coaching already, even down to Krul’s distribution.

The centre halves would split either side of our box to look to receive the ball, that didn’t happen under the last set of dinosaurs coaching the team. Even when warming up, you could see the drills involved 5 or 6 one-touch passes on the edge of the before the ball the ball would come in.

During the game you could see that the team had better shape in relation to each other – not like before when everyone hung back and left Cisse massively isolated, generally sitting back hoping two or three could randomly score from a break.

The passing up until the last 15-20mins was generally improved in the way they moved with each other, and there looked to be a genuine will to push forward as a team without leaving massive gaps because of sitting back.

It was a lot more balanced, and it was a relief, if anything, to see us attempt to do something like this. Already proving that coaching was clueless with the last lot. Why? Because all these noticeable aspects of patterns of play were put into action with a matter of weeks of SM and his team being here. Yet Pinocchio and his dummies couldn’t improve these little matters over the course of years.

There is a long way to go with development, but seeing an improvement already playing as a team again was great to see. I don’t mind us committing bodies forward at all. It was far more balanced in attacking areas.

Oh, and great pace and cross from Obertan who I thought had a decent game. I really hope that they can work on his confidence, he has some very good attributes. Confidence and anxiety can crush many a player, regardless of their ability to perform a fundamental task.

I hope we can continue to develop as a team.

Mitrovic is a solid unit, not surprised he ‘likes contact’ in games. We laughed at his 10 second booking or whatever it was.

• Our Toon

Aug 10, 2015 at 9:39 AM

I think I may have watched a different game to most others yesterday. Anita was poor, yes he dropped in with the defence and offered the short pass into him. Was always available for the pass amd retained possession but every time he passed forward he gave it away. Sideways passing he was fine, he couldn’t control Mane at all who he lost time after time. On the ball he was ok, without the ball he was lost, couldn’t track runners, outbattled and out muscled!!

• Our Toon

Aug 10, 2015 at 9:43 AM

Jail

I said yesterday that the 2 worst players on the pitch both got assists for us, the cross from obertan was excellent no doubting that but he did very little else in the entire game. Haidara got an assist but the clown allowed tadic to use his stronger foot to cross for the equaliser.

• Marty-Toon

Aug 10, 2015 at 9:49 AM

One huge plus was Gouffran not being near the first team selection.
    Tiote understandably wasn’t up to speed and barely touched the ball,strange to put him in and compromise the points at stake.
    Colback did well but slows us down,I’m glad Anita is in there with him as he gets the ball moving a lot quicker.
    Don’t think Tiote and Colback is a good mix as they both like to play the ball across and backwards.
    Impressed in pre season again and yesterday with Obertan,hopefully it’s a injury free year for him,he’s been more direct and gives us a great outlet.
    Sissoko had several good runs and broke up play,he also made a couple of good chances.
    Would like to see Ayoze getting a chance too as he showed good movement last year

• Slank

Aug 10, 2015 at 9:54 AM

Jail @ 8

I believe Obertan had the nod over Aarons because he is better at defensive duties. Against the Germans it was Aarons who lost the ball and then fouled the player and then got in the way of Saylor.

However, Aarons is still better going forward than Obertan.

• Toonfan8

Aug 10, 2015 at 9:55 AM

OurToon
    how come that Mane has most his chances after Anita was injured if he couldnt keep him out? He keept him out better than Tiote or Colback

• nut meg

Aug 10, 2015 at 9:59 AM

I know there’s a few people on here who watch the Dutch league so can anybody comment on the defending side of Jetro Willems game? He’s been talked about on here a lot, I have seen a few clips but they were mainly about his excellant attacking play.

• John Tudor

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:00 AM

more like rotheram for mike

• jayphoto

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:02 AM

Saw enough yesterday to be optimistic! Southampton are a very good, settled side who were 2 weeks ahead of us when it comes to competitive games!
    Pros- Sissoko looked interested. Anita looked dynamic! Mitro looked nuts!
    Thought Mbemba and Colo had the makings of a partnership! Both slightly off the pace for fitness so can only get better.
    Gini will be a superstar! Don’t know how he wasn’t picked up by a champions league team! Don’t care! Thrilled we have him!
    First time in a year Obertan has shown his pace and gone to the byline rather than cutting in!
    No long balls!
    No gouffran or Williamson!

Cons- cisse doesn’t have the control to play possession football. His first touch is awful. Most of his goals are first time shots, it’s probably because he rarely gets a chance to take a second touch. Not entirely sure some of his goals arent just lucky bad attempts to control the ball.
    Cons- not sure Krul has great control of his area! Could have done better for both goals with his positioning.
    De Jong and Tiote looked way off the pace. Not surprisingly given their injury problems. Both are 2 of our better players but need to work hard now to get fit! U21 games a must for both.
    Haidara offers little at LB! Dummett probably the better option but could do with a LB with experience. We were linked with Ashley Cole on a year loan in july, someone like that would help!

• Slank

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:04 AM

There were many positive things than negatives yesterday. Of the few negatives:

Tiote: He looked very rusty, not surprising really as he has hardly featured in pre-season. Hopefully more training and practice games will address that.

De Jong: He looked slow, painfully so. Unlike Tiote he has featured in the pre-season games so it’s a concern if this is his normal tempo.

Mitrovic: He needs a good talking to about being tough without it bringing to the attention of the officials.

• jayphoto

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:04 AM

Also yesterday mcClaren had genuine options off the bench! Add cabella and dummett to that soon! Great to see!

• tooned in

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:06 AM

Re Aarons not getting on – I think a combination of Anita injury and Wini having worked so hard and Cissee not having 80mins in his legs yet lead to subs being made – if Anita had stayed fit I think he would have come on for OB1 ?

• Our Toon

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:06 AM

Toon fan

Mane had as you put it most of his chances late on because Southampton were fitter than us and rallied late on. In terms of conditioning and match sharpness they are miles ahead of us, don’t forget for the first goal we conceded it was Mane who ran with the ball unchallenged across our midfield to pass it wide for Soares to cross for them to score. Mane got in time after time when Anita was on the pitch but it took Mbemba to bail him out.

• deeps

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:07 AM

Gotta keep in mind that Colo and Mbemba didn’t play in pre season.. So they will take Time to get used to each other.. And also Southampton had played a few more competitive games than us (Europe) hence were more fitter than us too..
    Mc should stick with the same team vs swansea.. If any changes then maybe Aarons for Obertan

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:09 AM

Whatever happens in transfer market they cannot let Cisse go until they have bought someone who has premiership pedigree – as we will not have a proven goalcorer.
    As for Mitrovic – jury’s out looks a bit of a bull in a chin a shop yes he will get stuck in challenge for everything but will he get the goals.
    PS – anyone else seen the images of Mbemba turning up at the game in his tuxcdo and dickie bow tie and – looked dapper!

• Laurent Robert 32

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:10 AM

Still need more players of the quality which we’ve just brought in though, we’re understocked in relation to the ones we’ve let go. Wish Ben Arfa was still here. I’ve watched the You Tube vids of him playing for Nice. Skipping past people for fun, joy to watch. Scapegoat of the century.

• Our Toon

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:11 AM

Jay

It was Cisse who chased the clearance and played the ball over the top for obertan to cross a corker right on Wijnaldum’s head. Cisse also crossed the ball for Colo in the 1st half which was pushed away by yoshida’s hand but defo not a pen. It was cisse who took a touch to shift it and then shot straight at the keeper and it was Cisse who took a massive horrible touch in the box but still got a corner.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:13 AM

There seemed to be more a fresh optimism about the place yesterday, how have they been allowed to get away with a policy that frowned upon success for three years now. It is beyond me how Beardsley and Moncur fronted a regime which we suspected did not want to win a cup and has later been confirmed, we’ve basically been ripped off since finishing fifth.

• Our Toon

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:14 AM

Laurent Robert

I watched the Nice game against Monaco, Arfa looked trim and did well, he even played Right Back when Nice had a player sent off for 10 mins. He was tracking back at times but he was also walking back at times. Mainly though he operated behind the striker

• Our Toon

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:18 AM

For me the priority now has to be to get a Left Back. I can’t think of many good ones for our level. The mackems have a decent LB but he got ripped by Mahrez repeatedly. Any ideas anyone?

Not Ashley Cole

• Toonfan8

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:19 AM

Our Toon
    Mane had two great chances when Anita was off, and you talked that Anita couldnt done forward pass, who passed it to Sissoko when we break them, but that time Sissoko decided to play wrong pass…

• NUFC_LEAZES END

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:20 AM

I’m optimistic now that I saw our fist prem game with mc’claren and how we’d be going about our prem games this season.
    I think the new goalkeeper coach needs to work on kruls distribution because it’s ridiculous how many times the opposition get chances to punish us for it.
    I think Taylor would be a better option than colo next to mbemba at CB but with colo being captain I can’t see mc’claren dropping him.
    Haidara is too predictable on the ball and doesn’t close down the winger quick enough for my liking.
    Cisse goes missing all the time and I think Perez would be my option to start instead of cisse next game .
    Apart from them players I think we played very well yesterday, nice patient passing working the ball from the back instead of hoofing it all the time, so that was a nice breath of fresh air.
    Mitrovic seems like a proper mental case aswell just hope he’s more Diego Costa than balotelli.

• expatmag

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:21 AM

Blackley

I dont believe you. You quoted word for word what the commentator said. It was the same commentator whether it be in England or Australia.

• nut meg

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:28 AM

For the guys that are questioning why Aarons didn’t start didn’t SM say he was going to ease him gently ? I think everyone in the squad will be getting a fair bit of game time so I wouldn’t worry too much…rotation keeps players fresh & on their toes.

• Our Toon

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:28 AM

Toon fan

You’ve picked out 1 occasion when Anita got a forward pass right, I also remember him trying to find obertan but putting it straight onto Tadic’s head instead and losing the ball, passing it straight to Wanyama at least 3 times. When Krul saved a shot from Soares the ball lopped out in the air, Anita mistimed his jump when no one was around the ball bounced in the box they picked it up and Janmaat closed the player for Anita to get his foot in.

It’s the 1st game though and as I’ve said they are miles ahead of us in terms of match sharpness. By game 7 or 8 you will be saying get Anita out until then enjoy his limited impact and we will reconvene after the 8th game to see if your opinion has changed

• Our Toon

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:30 AM

Looped not lopped

• Blackley and Brownlie

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:34 AM

Expatmag
    I haven’t a clue what words you’re talking about. I didn’t see any tv until motd2 late at night. What did the commentators say? Have I said the exact same thing? If so, so what? We both saw the same thing. We share the English language. Why am I lying?

• Blackley and Brownlie

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:36 AM

Ourtoon
    Anita was untidy in his passing. Also, he was often marking Pelle. It was a no contest.

• Jib

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:37 AM

Our Toon
    Lucas Digne from PSG
    Being courted by Roma and Liverpool
    I’d love to scupper the Reds

• WWSBRD

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:39 AM

HBA a scapegoat? Nar he’s just a moody Frenchmen who would disappear for the majority of games

• martoon

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:39 AM

JFA @7 – It was probably a PPI call – “how many times, don’t phone me at work!” 😀

1 2 3 5