The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

NBCSN Win Huge Six Year Deal To Cover PL Games In America

9:10 pm, Tuesday, August 11th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 41 Comments

NBC have won the battle to broadcast the Premier League games until 2022, after finalizing a six-year contract extension of its current deal, which started with the 2013-2014 season and was due to finish at the end of this season.

NBC Sports has been excellent in the way they have covered the games over here and every single Premier League played is available either via TV or on a PC, lap-top, tablet or phone.

nbcsn logo

It’s been a huge success since they started two years ago, and now they have the games for another seven years.

The average viewership last season was an average of 479,000 per game which was a record and higher than the previous season of 438,000 viewers per game.

However, in NBC’s first season they advertised heavily two years ago, and the average in their first season was 114% higher than when the games were broadcast on FOX Sports, ESPN and ESPN2 during the coverage of the 2012-2013 season.

At that time former Newcastle full back Warren Barton was the chief analyst on Fox Sports,  and he’s still on there and a great ambassador for Newcastle United – last season Fox Sports had the Champions League games.

Some other facts from Forbes magazine – in the two years they have broadcast the games – MBCSN have broadcast 12 of the 15 most-watched Premier League matches in the history of US Television, 7 of which came last season – one of them had to be Newcastle surely?

The deal is a big win for NBC as it beat out some immense  competition from ESPN and Fox Sports.

It’s a big loss for ESPN who advertise themselves as the world-wide leader in sports – and have for many many decades – but if you haven’t got the most popular league of the most popular game  in the world that claim gets rather difficult to to make.

A delighted Mark Lazarus, NBC Sports Group Chairman had this to say:

“We are excited to continue our tremendous partnership with the Premier League, and we look forward to presenting the world’s finest soccer league to Americans for many years to come,”

“As sports fans, there’s nothing better than waking up on a weekend morning to live and relevant events and we at NBC Sports are thrilled to continue to be this outlet for the fast-growing Premier League fan base.”

“With today’s six?year extension, we are thrilled that the Premier League will be part of our family on all of our platforms through the year 2022. And that includes this current season, which, as you know, just launched this weekend, seven seasons with the Premier League.”

“You do the math, that’s an additional 2,280 matches over the next six years plus hours of other related content, shoulder programming, original content, library programming, which we have used extensively and will continue to use. We will continue to innovate with this product.”

“It gives us nine months of weekend, morning and early afternoon programming that has become synonymous with NBC Sports, and built what we believe is a real destination for our growing fan base in the U.S.”

“We worked through the weekend to try to secure the deal. We took nothing for granted, but I spent a very anxious Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday until dialogue became clear that we were going to have the ability to negotiate to conclusion.”

Do you think NBCSN are pleased they won the deal?

Premier League Chairman Richard Scudamore had this to say:

“NBC Sports has done a fantastic job broadcasting the Barclays Premier League for the last two seasons and we are extremely pleased that they have invested in our US rights for seasons 2016-17 to 2021-2022.”

“Outstanding production, expert analysis, and wide audience reach have all been beyond expectations.”

This will be great news for the Newcastle fans in the US because it essentially means we can watch every single Premier League game that Newcastle play over the next seven years.

Who could ask for more?

Just think how many victories we will have in that time – a massive number!

Comment welcome.

Note: 18 year-old Harvey Fitzpatrick is a Newcastle fan and an avid reader of this site – and he is fundraising for cancer research as part of the Macmillan’s ‘Brave the Shave’ campaign they are currently running.

On 18th of August Harvey will be shaving his hair off in support of the cancer fund drive – please see if you can support Harvey by donating on his Brave the Shave site.

Tags: Financials · Newcastle News · Other News · TV coverage · TV Schedule

41 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jail for Ashley // Aug 11, 2015 at 9:13 PM

Ashley Out!

• 2 Jib // Aug 11, 2015 at 9:16 PM

One of the reasons NBC has won .
    Their internet security is far superior ,which should cut down on freestreams and increase EPL revenue.

• 3 Ian Toon // Aug 11, 2015 at 9:16 PM

Jib- How are Brighton and Lewis Dunk doing at Southend?

• 4 cyprus // Aug 11, 2015 at 9:16 PM

Yeah, yeah, yeah, ‘super’ and all that. How much is the deal worth? How much of it goes to NUFC?

We still need three players… maybe next January…

• 5 Ibizatoon // Aug 11, 2015 at 9:16 PM

I came as soon as I heard Ed. Fantastic news 🙂

I’m wondering whether things can get any better than this.

7 year deal. Maybe Llambias had his hands in this?

• 6 BandB // Aug 11, 2015 at 9:17 PM

Hello Ibizatoon

Just getting it on the record….

• 7 Jail for Ashley // Aug 11, 2015 at 9:18 PM

Tequila is good value because he recognised defensive weaknesses two years ago ??? Every blogger worth his salt recognised it after every 4+ hiding ffs.

• 8 dok - the horrid colonial // Aug 11, 2015 at 9:18 PM

one small victory for us horrid colonials to get up at 6am and watch the toon 🙂

• 9 Ibizatoon // Aug 11, 2015 at 9:19 PM

Cyprus…it’s not always about the money. Has Mike not taught you anything?

It’s all good having the cart, but you have got to have the horse to. Or was it wheels?

• 10 Graeme // Aug 11, 2015 at 9:19 PM

At last – we are linked with a Danish Power House of a defender – hopefully we can pull this one over the line!!!

• 11 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 11, 2015 at 9:20 PM

Jib that’s crap I watched two games at the weekend on NBCSN streams

• 12 Jib // Aug 11, 2015 at 9:21 PM

• 13 Ibizatoon // Aug 11, 2015 at 9:21 PM

BandB.. Hello there. What are we getting on the record? Should I be worried?

Dok… We know all about your labour of love. Having to wake up early and having to start drinking earlier. Our hearts bleed for you

• 14 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 11, 2015 at 9:23 PM

so Dunk not playing? interesting

• 15 Jail for Ashley // Aug 11, 2015 at 9:23 PM

Can’t see it happening, Collo is there to save money until Lascelles etc come good.

• 16 Jib // Aug 11, 2015 at 9:23 PM

Barca 4 Sevilla 4 !!!!!!!

• 17 brklyngeordie // Aug 11, 2015 at 9:23 PM

I am happy they got the deal must say all my years watching PL NBC def has the best coverage of it and best thing is all games are aired live and no additional cost which quite amazing in this day in age this is a good day for the fans

• 18 Ibizatoon // Aug 11, 2015 at 9:24 PM

It’s quite heart warming to see some things never change.

Jib providing links and being accused of talking cr@p. It’s the small things in life.

• 19 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 11, 2015 at 9:24 PM

4-4 omg

• 20 Jib // Aug 11, 2015 at 9:24 PM

I don’t think Dunk is playing
    However it is the Capital Cup

• 21 Average_Contents // Aug 11, 2015 at 9:25 PM

It’s pretty decent game coverage and even better when you’ve got the add-on on your Android box (once connected to a vpn and a screen lock is setup 😀

Happy days.

Jib talking shite as per. I’ve had it since last season for free you know nowt knobend.

• 22 BandB // Aug 11, 2015 at 9:26 PM

I don’t really want to talk to you Ibiza because I am bad for you.

As you’ll learn yourself one day 🙂

• 23 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 11, 2015 at 9:26 PM

No Austin wasn’t risked

• 24 Ibizatoon // Aug 11, 2015 at 9:27 PM

Jail… I thought Colo was here because he wanted to be here, the manager wanted him to be here and his team wanted to be here.

All those stories of wanting back to Argentina are a myth. All hail our curly haired captain.

• 25 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 11, 2015 at 9:28 PM

AC thanks for that titbit of information, I shall do the same with my android box 🙂

• 26 Average_Contents // Aug 11, 2015 at 9:28 PM

Take a chancel

You beat me to it.

Although I’m not entirely surprised that someone else noticed jib/jeff talking bollox as it happens on a regular basis.

• 27 Jib // Aug 11, 2015 at 9:29 PM

It certainly is NOT crap
    NBC never bothered their arses cos they didn’t have exclusivity.
    The situation changes as from now

• 28 Ibizatoon // Aug 11, 2015 at 9:30 PM

BandB..No doubt, but what’s life without a risk or two?

Honestly, a smiley? 😉

Average…Has Dinah blown her horn yet?

• 29 Ibizatoon // Aug 11, 2015 at 9:32 PM

Typical, AC leading people astray. Watch out chancel, he lives in Liverpool after all…

• 30 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 11, 2015 at 9:32 PM

I am watching a cracking HD stream of the Barca match via a Canadian channel called TSN only trouble is David Pleat is commentating 🙁

• 31 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 11, 2015 at 9:33 PM

Ibiza my dad’s a scouser 🙂

• 32 Ibizatoon // Aug 11, 2015 at 9:34 PM

Chancel…Some people can’t catch a break mate 🙂

• 33 BandB // Aug 11, 2015 at 9:34 PM

Cobs will be got on if you associate with me.

Ball-breaking attempts to effect even a tiny bit of change will be sneered at as attention seeking.

You’ll be punished. Again.

Hope you stick around.

YOU really have been missed.

• 34 Jib // Aug 11, 2015 at 9:36 PM

XBMC which became Kodi was removed from Amazon Appstore last month because of massive security issues

• 35 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 11, 2015 at 9:37 PM

I’ve had this android TV box for two years now with Kodi and never had a problem 🙂

• 36 lochinvar // Aug 11, 2015 at 9:38 PM

Jannik Vestergaaard at 6’6″ sounds just the man – he must be about the same height as two of our other CB’s joined together. Two for the price of one – will suit Ashleys purse !
    Imagine when he jumps that’s 7 foot of defender – that would have stopped their second goal on Saturday no problem.

• 37 Average_Contents // Aug 11, 2015 at 9:39 PM

Take a chancel

Your welcome.

Piece of piss to do, just make sure you set the stream quality slightly below the recommended threshold as it irons out any issues with lagging. If unsure check out vdubt on YouTube as his tutorials are pretty decent mate.

Oh Ibizatoon, when will you ever learn.

You can’t just pop on whenever you feel like it then pop off then pop back on again.

It must be cleared through the appropriate channels first, then vetted for negatives then and only then may you continue on your journey towards blog enlightenment. In other words, make sure you ask master multiple if you’re allowed 😉

Welcome back. Hope you enjoyed your holidays and had an easy ride, kids can be stressful even when we’re supposed to be relaxing. Hard work.

• 38 Ibizatoon // Aug 11, 2015 at 9:41 PM

BandB… Punishments? Now I’m intrigued.

Perhaps you are bad for me after all.

Still scratching my head at that one honestly. If this is a new era, a time where mistakes have been recognised and addressed, weren’t the people who were unhappy before at least a little justified?

I’m sure we all wanted the same thing. Still, bring it on. Black and white till I die. Don’t fancy a splintered arse again.

• 39 BandB // Aug 11, 2015 at 9:42 PM

Thanks AC,

Good to see you back too.

• 40 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 11, 2015 at 9:44 PM

Nice to see you back BandB haven’t seen you since I came out of hospital, hope you are well

• 41 Ibizatoon // Aug 11, 2015 at 9:44 PM

AC…Not only can I, but I do. You’re just going to have to deal with it.

A new thread, how exciting

previous post: This Is Why Sir Bobby Robson Was So Great