The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

This Is Why Sir Bobby Robson Was So Great

4:13 pm, Tuesday, August 11th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 107 Comments

There’s a good illustration today of just how good Sir Bobby Robson was with his players,  and if any coach could get the best out of what he had available, it was Sir Bobby Robson.

Former Newcastle midfielder Jermaine Jenas is now an analyst for BBC Sport, and in his column for Yahoo Sport today, he has opened the door on when he signed for Newcastle United back in early February of 2002, and he was  thrown in at the deep end by the manager, for his debut against Sunderland – at Sunderland.

jermaine jenas

Jermaine Jenas while at Newcastle

You could see that at Ipswich where Sir Bobby initially managed for 13 years, and he had Ipswich in the top six in the old Division One more times than not, even though he had precious little money to spend.

The real definition of coaching is what you can get out of the players at your disposal.

This is some of what Jenas has said today about his exploits at Newcastle:

“The chances I was given at a young age by Forest and Newcastle hugely influenced my career. In my head I felt like I was going in a certain direction, and any young player will feel the same way.”

“They’ll feel loved by their club and that they’re on a track that will ultimately lead to the first team.” “But if you get to 21 and realise you’re still classed as a ‘kid’, that’s weird.”

“I was playing for England by the time I was 19 and it all stemmed from the fact that Bobby Robson put his head on the block for me”  “I was made captain of Nottingham Forest at 17 and then I moved to Newcastle at 18 for £5M – massive money at the time.”

“But my first two weeks on Tyneside were a nightmare. I was nervous, and I was rubbish in training. I remember thinking: ‘What have I done? I’m just not the player I was at Forest.”

“Then on the Thursday before the Tyne-Wear derby Sir Bobby Robson came to me and said: ‘You’re playing on Sunday by the way.’”  “I was shocked.”

“There’s no bigger game at Newcastle. But the minute I played that game, those two weeks of training were irrelevant.” “We won 1-0, I performed well and that earned me the full respect of my teammates.”

“Coming out the other side of that match gave me so much confidence. I felt like I’d passed my hardest test, especially mentally.”

We remember that game against Sunderland well, and not only was Jenas good in that game – he was the best player on the field. and so cool and composed for such a white-hot atmosphere.

And when you consider he was just 18 – he obviously seemed to have the temperament of somebody who could become a big player in the future – and the Geordie fans took to him immediately.

nicos dabizas scores300

Nicos Dabizas after scoring winner – February 26th, 2002 at Sunderland

We won by a goal from Nicos Dabizas midway through the second half – Shay Given had a blinder – and Newcastle climbed back to second place in the Premiership – those were days alright.

It didn’t quite work out for him at Newcastle, and when Graeme Souness was in charge Jermaine was moved to Tottenham for £7M in the summer of 2005.

That’s when he made that famous quote that playing for Newcastle was like being in a  goldfish bowl.

There is significant pressure on players at Newcastle, because that’s all the City and Geordies think about – football – and yes it’s a religion on Tyneside.

Always has been always will be.

Jenas is now retired even though he’s  only 32, so he never did reach the great potential he showed while he was at Nottingham Forest and Newcastle United – but nevertheless he still had a very good career.

But Jenas does seem to have a new career ahead of him in the media – he’s a sensible lad and as we have seen in his column today – he’s certainly willing to tell the truth about things.

That’s good.

Note: 18 year-old Harvey Fitzpatrick is a Newcastle fan and an avid reader of this site – and he is fundraising for cancer research as part of the Macmillan’s ‘Brave the Shave’ campaign they are currently running.

On 18th of August Harvey will be shaving his hair off in support of the cancer fund drive – please see if you can support Harvey by donating on his Brave the Shave site.

Tags: Coaching · Media · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

107 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // Aug 11, 2015 at 4:15 PM

Ashley Out!

• 2 Noel Worst // Aug 11, 2015 at 4:15 PM

Eva Carneiro being sacked by Chelsea? Sign her up!

• 3 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 11, 2015 at 4:27 PM

Haidara best passer for Newcastle on sunday with 48

• 4 Thump // Aug 11, 2015 at 4:31 PM

Shame he wasn’t the best defender, Chancel.

• 5 croftus5678 // Aug 11, 2015 at 4:35 PM

@3 chancel + @4 thump

great crosser of a ball and has the speed with the right coaching in defence like you say he could be a great player as he’s still very young and tbh imo currently our best lb.

• 6 martoon // Aug 11, 2015 at 4:37 PM

Noel Worst – I’ve really lost a lot of respect for Jose typical self centred prat. When everything is going well quite happy to take the plaudits but when going badly
    blame everyone but yourself!!!! A bit like Pardew when I come to think about it 🙂

• 7 Jib // Aug 11, 2015 at 4:48 PM

Martoon
    Just thinking the same
    Picking on staff who don’t have the same opportunity as him to defend themselves , shows a total lack of class.
    Both he and Terry in their reaction to Courtois red card showed what knobs they are

• 8 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 11, 2015 at 4:55 PM

MArtoon you are right of late he has come across as a self centred arsehole who thinks he’s better than everyone else, very Pardewesc you are right

• 9 martoon // Aug 11, 2015 at 4:55 PM

Jib – I cannot believe they appealed it. On the replay it was clear cut a red card offence. How is it only 1 game? He should have got at least two for a wasted appeal!

• 10 swisstone // Aug 11, 2015 at 4:58 PM

Ed, not related to this story as you’re on one of your rapid story surges.

In reference to an earlier post, I think its about time you stopped dropping these digs in about how disasterous Carver was.

The bloke is a die hard geordie who got the chance at his dream job, any of us in his position would have took it. He may have been out of his depth but it was never deliberate, his best wasn’t good enough and he has paid the price for it now.

Let it go and move on.

• 11 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 11, 2015 at 4:59 PM

Shaqiri signs for stoke

• 12 Jib // Aug 11, 2015 at 5:00 PM

Martoon
    There was some discussion about him being in line with the last defender , benefit of the doubt as regards severity I guess.

• 13 Tsunki // Aug 11, 2015 at 5:05 PM

Haidara rates high in PL stats too. You have to love stats. They don’t tell you anything more than what you want your extract from them. Having said that, I rate Haidara and think with a run he’ll come good, like many others in the side actually. Even now he’s an upgrade on Dummett.

• 14 JDdubai // Aug 11, 2015 at 5:05 PM

Really interesting to see how Shaqiri does, should be a superstar in the PL.

• 15 Jib // Aug 11, 2015 at 5:18 PM

Pardew is getting shot of Dwight Gayle – that is a strange one.

• 16 Belfast // Aug 11, 2015 at 5:19 PM

Jib I don’t actually see what Terry done wrong? He was trying to keep his goalkeeper on the pitch? That’s his job he’s the captain.

• 17 Mr Funk // Aug 11, 2015 at 5:20 PM

Raphael Guerreiro

Could he be an alternative to Thauvin as he did play left wing for more games last season than left back.

• 18 Tsunki // Aug 11, 2015 at 5:21 PM

‘Es bin fitted up for the Brentwood Tickle, mate. ‘swot ‘appens when you get the shooters ‘aht.

• 19 Rotonda heights // Aug 11, 2015 at 5:22 PM

would love eva carneiro here. chelsea were bottom of the injury table last season. And to be honest Eva is far better image than Derek wright who helped us finish top.

• 20 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 11, 2015 at 5:25 PM

Shaqiri to Stoke so that means we’ll have more Thauvin stories now!!

• 21 WWSBRD // Aug 11, 2015 at 5:25 PM

martoon/Chancel
    Jose has everyone talking about him and the medical staff rather than their very very below par performance against Swansea

I think Jose knows exactly what he’s doing always does

• 22 Rotonda heights // Aug 11, 2015 at 5:26 PM

swisstone

carver was a narcissistic, classless oaf who offered his own fans outside on more than one occasion. As far removed from SBR in terms of a humble human being and coach as you could get.

• 23 Ian Toon // Aug 11, 2015 at 5:44 PM

As an Opta analyst you type in the minutiae of every televised game. You would earn pitiful sums of money but to watch football. Mind, given that you would have to log every single event in endless detail- long pass, weight on the ball, origin of the ball, where the ball lands. In all Opta collects several hundred categories. Having seen their operation at close quarters it really is lies lies and statistics for me.
    I don’t need anyone to tell me that Dummett is better defensively and Haidara offensively.

• 24 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 11, 2015 at 5:46 PM

• 25 Ian Toon // Aug 11, 2015 at 5:54 PM

Rotonda- So it’s not because she’s not bad looking but you admire her professionalism .
    What about the East Fife supporters who shouted get your —- out for the lads at the female physio.

• 26 Ian Toon // Aug 11, 2015 at 5:57 PM

Belfast – We don’t know what Terry actually said but it did seem a bit harsh to be booked merely for fulfilling the role of Captain.

• 27 Ian Toon // Aug 11, 2015 at 6:05 PM

Rotonda – Derek Wright he’s been our physio for as long as I’ve been supporting the toon. I can’t remember him not being our physio he’s just got bigger over the years. Around 5 years ago he was nearly involved in a collision with a metro train – I think he tried to drive through a red light and barely made it!
    Interesting character not sure how good a physio he is!

• 28 sweendog // Aug 11, 2015 at 6:05 PM

and now for the next rumour we’re now linked with vestegaard

• 29 sweendog // Aug 11, 2015 at 6:07 PM

here’s the link

• 30 Jib // Aug 11, 2015 at 6:14 PM

Derek Wright has been at the Toon since 1984
    He joined in KK’s last year as a player
    cctv footage of his near miss

• 31 Ian Toon // Aug 11, 2015 at 6:18 PM

Jib- When he does retire he will not be remembered for being a physio!

• 32 Jib // Aug 11, 2015 at 6:22 PM

Vestergaard 6’7″ – 23 years old – fits the profile
    But Werder Bremen only bought him in January and he has played every game since.
    Seems a bit early to be changing clubs

• 33 Our Toon // Aug 11, 2015 at 6:22 PM

Mourinho is being very clever, taking the pressure off his misfiring team and laying the blame elsewhere, the difference between him and pardew is that he can back the talk up.

• 34 Jib // Aug 11, 2015 at 6:26 PM

When I played Rugby we used the NUFC physio he had a practise on Whitley Road
    Racking me brains to remember his name
    1st name Harry – I think

• 35 davis_toons // Aug 11, 2015 at 6:27 PM

Mourinho target player is good. (LB)

• 36 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 11, 2015 at 6:29 PM

Remember Ian Liversedge from the 80’s

• 37 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 11, 2015 at 6:30 PM

he was physio

• 38 Ian Toon // Aug 11, 2015 at 6:30 PM

Jib- Lewis Dunk Brighton CB. They are at Southend tonight and Fulham are one of a few clubs apparently planning on watching him.
    We were supposed to have an interest I read somewhere.

• 39 Jib // Aug 11, 2015 at 6:33 PM

Ian
    I don’t think (if he has any say in it ) Chris Hughton will sell him .He’s the club leader and would make the transition to EPL easy but he’s young and with CB’s time is on their side

• 40 Jib // Aug 11, 2015 at 6:37 PM

Yeovil Town v QPR tonight also
    Be interesting to see if they risk CA in an away game

• 41 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 11, 2015 at 6:38 PM

So that’s why we signed Chancel Mbemba, Mike Ashley is a sly sod

• 42 Ian Toon // Aug 11, 2015 at 6:40 PM

He might appeal to Ashley on the grounds of young with strong prospect on inflated re- sale value. Maybe throw in a selection from Gouffy, Williamson or Taylor.

• 43 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 11, 2015 at 6:40 PM

Jib can’t see why not, QPR were away to Charlton on Saturday and CA played

• 44 toon kk // Aug 11, 2015 at 6:45 PM

I have become to think our transfer business is over as far as incoming player’s go.
    MA budget will be well and truly spent.

• 45 TorqToon // Aug 11, 2015 at 6:45 PM

Evening gents. Are we all well? Still no signs of more players coming in I see. I’m hoping SMC still has a few surprises up his sleeve before the window closes.

• 46 Jib // Aug 11, 2015 at 6:46 PM

Cracking link for tonight’s game Barca v Sevilla

• 47 Jib // Aug 11, 2015 at 6:47 PM

Leeds
    I forgot that – doh

• 48 Jib // Aug 11, 2015 at 7:09 PM

If you are watching the Eurosupercup watch the Sevilla No. 3 6′ 4″ 29 years old .
    Adil Rami – Sevilla bought him from Milan on July 1st for less tha £2million !!!!!

• 49 Ian Toon // Aug 11, 2015 at 7:13 PM

• 50 Ketsbaia9 // Aug 11, 2015 at 7:19 PM

I really like the look of Raphael Guerriero. If we signed him, Thauvin, Van Dijk and Rolan, we’d have the perfect squad. It’d be good enough to clinch a top 3 spot.

Thauvin, Sissoko, Cabella, Marveaux, Guerriero and Aarons is enough for those positions. Guerriero will primarily be a left back but will fit into left wing when needed.

• 51 jayphoto // Aug 11, 2015 at 7:20 PM

Think mcClaren is just trying to keep obertans confidence high! Fair play he knew cedric soares! Doubt pardew or carver would have had a clue about his game

• 52 Jib // Aug 11, 2015 at 7:25 PM

Sorry to piss on folks chips
    But Raphael Guerriero is nailed on to replace Lucas Digne at PSG
    And before you ask , Digne is off to Liverpool or Roma

• 53 jazzyp // Aug 11, 2015 at 7:27 PM

Torqtoon
    Wow how the devil are you sir.long time no see… What you been up to mate

• 54 nearly // Aug 11, 2015 at 7:36 PM

ian toon @27

he is a top bloke and quality physio any pro who has been treated by him will tell ya that

• 55 BandB // Aug 11, 2015 at 7:38 PM

Having met Obertan I can tell you there is nothing wrong with his confidence apart from that much of it is ill-founded.
    He would be the first to tell you he had never had a bad game for anybody and that his career has been dogged by a series of inexplicable substitutions.

• 56 Ian Toon // Aug 11, 2015 at 7:40 PM

nearly- Good to hear. Thanks.

• 57 Jib // Aug 11, 2015 at 7:42 PM

Bunch of kids singing Lennon’s Imagine
    Quite moving

• 58 Jib // Aug 11, 2015 at 7:47 PM

Ter Stegen injured 1st minute

• 59 Jib // Aug 11, 2015 at 7:48 PM

GOAL TO SEVILLA

• 60 the broons // Aug 11, 2015 at 7:50 PM

Jib

Banega the kid that we were linked with according to ed, what a lovely placed freekick aswell.

• 61 Jib // Aug 11, 2015 at 7:53 PM

MESSI GOAL BACK
    Thats 23 career goals against Sevilla for Messi

• 62 the broons // Aug 11, 2015 at 7:53 PM

krikey you’re quick!

Aye was probably even better.

• 63 Jib // Aug 11, 2015 at 8:00 PM

Messi again ffs

• 64 Ian Toon // Aug 11, 2015 at 8:01 PM

BandB – hiya and good to see your back. What was it you endorsed earlier? ” Macca’s brave new world” We just don’t know what Macca has in mind for Obertan – maybe Macca doesn’t yet know either and he’s still assessing the squad before window closes:

– Give him a run of games
    – Use him tactically on an occasional basis
    – Use him in a part exchange deal before the window closes.
    – Acknowledge that he’s out of his depth at this level and let his contract run off.
    Many have questioned whether Pardew and Carver got the best out of the squad. Obertan is by your own admission somewhat of an enigma. I am happy to wait and see what transpires.
    Welcome back

• 65 the broons // Aug 11, 2015 at 8:02 PM

in before jib…. oops miliseconds late again.

• 66 the broons // Aug 11, 2015 at 8:03 PM

I wonder if Jib has wow messi hattrick pretyped so he can beat his last record.

• 67 Jib // Aug 11, 2015 at 8:07 PM

wow messi hattrick
    Whoops
    It went off in me hand

• 68 the broons // Aug 11, 2015 at 8:08 PM

not the first thing thats went off prematurely in your hand today is it

• 69 voodoo85 // Aug 11, 2015 at 8:11 PM

See Barca are in hoops as opposed to stripes – wonder what would be said if Toon done that lol

• 70 lochinvar // Aug 11, 2015 at 8:12 PM

Chelsea team doctor Eva Carneiro has been banned by Jose Mourinho from sitting on the bench on matchdays, according to Sky sources. And is banished to the Club Training Ground.

What sort of odious little man would do such a thing to protect his own ego ?

• 71 voodoo85 // Aug 11, 2015 at 8:13 PM

Suarez 3-1….offside

• 72 Jail for Ashley // Aug 11, 2015 at 8:13 PM

Absolutely sweet fa if we were playing in the European Super Cup voodoo

• 73 Jib // Aug 11, 2015 at 8:13 PM

the broons
    not the first thing thats went off prematurely in your hand today is it
    True
    BandB is back 😎

• 74 the broons // Aug 11, 2015 at 8:14 PM

vodoo

If toon had half the success barca have had over the years I couldn’t give 2 monkeys what strip they put us in.

• 75 the broons // Aug 11, 2015 at 8:15 PM

haha well said jail,
    Basically what I have just commented.

• 76 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Aug 11, 2015 at 8:16 PM

Any more rumours? Are we linked with anybody?

• 77 Jib // Aug 11, 2015 at 8:16 PM

Mourinho had a fair point but he should have kept it in-house.
    He certainly learn classless crap like that off SBR.

• 78 geordie157 // Aug 11, 2015 at 8:17 PM

What a load of rubbish on tonight,decided to watch Dundee Utd vs Dundee to see how good John Souttar is.

• 79 BandB // Aug 11, 2015 at 8:19 PM

Ian

I see you have invited both Ibiza and I back. Is this to your Brave New World?

I haven’t been hiding. I have been on holiday, but have been happy to see the blog able to function while there was no football to fence with.

As I said a while ago, those who crow from the hen house during the close season usually spend the season itself hiding in the dog-house.

I don’t want to bring the mood down.

It does strike me Ian, reading the blog over the past month, that those demanding people be “positive” because “the problems have all been fixed” are largely the same people who have spent the past three years demanding that people be “positive” because nothing was broken.

• 80 the broons // Aug 11, 2015 at 8:20 PM

geordie157

Well the best players in the world are on show on bt sport whatever tickles your fancy.

• 81 Jib // Aug 11, 2015 at 8:21 PM

gorgonzola
    There’s this one

I guess from your name you won’t need a translation

• 82 TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa // Aug 11, 2015 at 8:24 PM

jayphoto @59
    great point, did anyone think pardouche or carvedouche actually planed countermeasures for the other team? practice to them meant doing the same stupid drills. Its nice to see a coach actually scout the other team.

• 83 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Aug 11, 2015 at 8:24 PM

heheh Jib,

no not Italian, but close enough 😉

we really do need a class CB… :-/

• 84 Jib // Aug 11, 2015 at 8:25 PM

I must add Tuttomercato were the first site to break Janmaats transfer last Summer

• 85 Jail for Ashley // Aug 11, 2015 at 8:26 PM

Gorgonzola is Serbian would somebody called Edam automatically be able to read Dutch or a baby named Cheddar have the ability to read English ?

• 86 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 11, 2015 at 8:27 PM

Jib apparently we are ahead of PSG

• 87 colwell // Aug 11, 2015 at 8:28 PM

One day I hope we can have as good a team as Stoke do. They’ll have a field day against us Shaqiri, Bojan supplying Diouf and Crouch maybe if Colo gets on Mbemba’s shoulders we might win 1 header.

What the fcuk happend to us?, we are playing much better but the same problems from last year are still here and no closer to being fixed, how the fcuk can all of us see it but the powers that be can’t?

• 88 Jib // Aug 11, 2015 at 8:29 PM

C’mon I’m waiting

• 89 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Aug 11, 2015 at 8:30 PM

Jail 🙂

hahahah good one. Lads I must say I am still in disbelief we haven’t got our CB sorted. And this Austin story is getting very tired. With Sdj and Mitro we do really need an extra winger too, I just don’t see where it will come from.

• 90 Jib // Aug 11, 2015 at 8:30 PM

Jail
    I bet a baby named Cheddar would be Gorge eous
    I’ll get me coat

• 91 Jail for Ashley // Aug 11, 2015 at 8:31 PM

Colwell,
    I was quite upbeat about Sundays performance, I think we’re all disappointed that Collo is still there with only Mbemba in an area we are woefully short in but they have a couple of weeks to put that right.

• 92 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Aug 11, 2015 at 8:32 PM

colwell

I hear your. I must say its disbelief. We do have pedigree but with the penny pincher in charge we won’t challenge for anything I am afraid but gather interest by other clubs.

Why is Willo still on Newcastle? etc etc etc

• 93 Jib // Aug 11, 2015 at 8:37 PM

It must be that time of evening

• 94 Ketsbaia9 // Aug 11, 2015 at 8:39 PM

Would be delighted if we get Rafael Guerriero

• 95 Ketsbaia9 // Aug 11, 2015 at 8:41 PM

Great signing because he can also operate on the left wing.

• 96 Ian Toon // Aug 11, 2015 at 8:46 PM

BandB – What are you getting at- this is a football blog. It’s for supporters/ fans of NUFC who are personalities in their own right. They have various characteristics which distinguish them but the common denominator ( one would assume) is that they want the football club to blossom and flourish.
    We are at the very first stage of what the optimists see as Macca’s brave new world. Depending on ones personality this so called new beginning can be viewed in a number of ways. Even the most optimistic amongst us would be hard pushed to suggest all the problems have been resolved.
    Based upon Sunday’s game we are likely to be playing more attractive football in a pass and move manner which we hope will prove successful. I can’t personally influence the likely outcome but I am inclined by nature to adopt a positive outlook. It’s better for ones demeanour and enjoyment. This is a football blog.

• 97 BandB // Aug 11, 2015 at 8:50 PM

Ian

I have seen you write “this is a football blog” numerous times in recent weeks as if you had stumbled on some debate-silencing spell.
    You are, as always, an amusing fellow.

• 98 OneAlanShearer // Aug 11, 2015 at 8:50 PM

He looks like a winger to me although prefers to shoot rather than cross or pass.

• 99 TorqToon // Aug 11, 2015 at 8:55 PM

Evening Jazzy! I’m very well my friend. How are you? Still blogging which is good to see. I read everyday but only post occasionally now. Nice to see some familiar names are still on here. We’ve lost a few over the past few seasons.

• 100 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 11, 2015 at 8:55 PM

Finally after downloading the new acestream engine I’ve got it working and just in time for Suarez’s goal

• 101 Ian Toon // Aug 11, 2015 at 8:56 PM

I always try to do my best.

• 102 BandB // Aug 11, 2015 at 8:57 PM

Don’t be modest Torq.

Tell us who’s top of your list of posters who the blog badly misses.

Before I do.

• 103 Ian Toon // Aug 11, 2015 at 9:00 PM

BandB – I am surprised your still reading.

• 104 Ian Toon // Aug 11, 2015 at 9:07 PM

Torq- don’t let her intimidate you. Of the older bloggers Tequila is missed because he is knowledgeable on football and identified defensive weaknesses a few seasons ago which remain to this day.
    Bills is another who has a good and practical understanding of football and NUFC. Transfer Sage, Tads and Balance who are equally good value.

• 105 Novocastrian66 // Aug 11, 2015 at 9:08 PM

If you thought NUFC’s treatment of Jonas was bad, have a look at this.

• 106 Ian Toon // Aug 11, 2015 at 9:11 PM

Jib- How are Brighton and Lewis Dunk doing at Southend?

• 107 Graeme // Aug 11, 2015 at 9:18 PM

At last – we are linked with a Danish powerhouse defender. This could be a man we really need!!!

previous post: Newcastle Turn To Alternative Strikers If Austin Price Still £15M

next post: NBCSN Win Huge Six Year Deal To Cover PL Games In America