The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle In Bid For Talented English Teenager

9:28 am, Wednesday, August 12th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 167 Comments

There’s a report in the Mai today that Newcastle have made an offer for 18 year-old Barnsley defender Mason Holgate, who had a trial at Manchester United this summer.

While Newcastle and Everton are said to be interested, it looks like Bournemouth could be close to doing a deal for £1M for the teenager.

mason holgate barnelsy

Mason Holgate 18 year-old Barnsley defender

In fact the report in the Mail says Newcastle have already made an offer for the young defender,  so we can only assume that Bournemouth may have put in a better bid.

In the next three weeks Newcastle want to sign more players for the future like Ivan Toney, the 19 year-old striker we signed form Northampton last week.

Holgate played 22 times last season with one goal for Barnsley, and he seems to be a little bit like Leeds United’s Sam Byram, who we are also interested in.

Holgate plays right-back but he can also play in different positions on the right hand side of the field, but according to the report in the Mail it’s looking like Bournemouth may win the race for the teenager.

Holgate was born in Doncaster, South Yorkshire and joined Barnsley at the age of nine back in 2005.

The 6ft tall youngster made his League One debut for Barnsley only last December, when he played the whole game in the 1–1 draw against his home town club Doncaster.

Even though Bournemouth are in talks to sign the player, it’s still possible that Newcastle could move in and be successful in signing the teenager.

If Newcastle do manage to sign Holgate, we could well send him out on loan for the season, even allowing him to remain at the Oakwell club.

Steve McClaren is still deciding whether Ivan Toney should be sent out on loan or whether he will stay as part of Peter Beardsley’s Development squad at Newcastle.

It’s important we sign some of these top youngsters for the future, and we noticed that 18 year-old central midfielder Dele Alli,  made his debut for Tottenham on Saturday.

Spurs signed him in January for £5M, when they beat us to the MK Dons youngster, after we had been the favorites to sign him.

We seem to have done nothing right in January.

🙁

The 6ft 2ins teenager came on in the second half at Old Trafford in the 1-0 loss, so he must have impressed in pre-season training.

Tags: Newcastle News · Recruitment · Scouting Network · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

167 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // Aug 12, 2015 at 9:30 AM

Ashley Out!

• 2 Bambams // Aug 12, 2015 at 9:32 AM

At £1m……

Worth a punt.

Don’t know much about the lad.

• 3 John Tudor // Aug 12, 2015 at 9:33 AM

where’s the top centre back and the breathtaking star we are going to sign

• 4 John Tudor // Aug 12, 2015 at 9:33 AM

sergio ramos

• 5 Rotonda heights // Aug 12, 2015 at 9:34 AM

Munster

You are spot on re – Colo only playing as a sweeper. I think behind MBemba and 1 tall CB and playing 2 wing backs Colo could be a revelation as a sweeper.

We were so much better to watch on Sunday but it’s obvious to a blind man that we will still be susceptible in the air with just Colo and MBemba, with Haidara seemingly unable to prevent crosses coming in and Janmatt unable to get off the ground.

On thing we do now have is serious pace with sissoko, wijnaldum, Obertan, mbemba and aarons.

• 6 toon kk // Aug 12, 2015 at 9:38 AM

And so the regime continues, we need first team players now. We have the perfect opportunity to push on but we’d rather take a chance on a kid from the lower leagues, with potential sell on value. Our squad has loads of them and not one is good enough to push us forward.

• 7 Tsunki // Aug 12, 2015 at 9:38 AM

Another one to snap up and put in the bargain bin in Pedro’ s Purgatory

• 8 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 12, 2015 at 9:38 AM

Jazzy…morning mate!

If Soton had bid that much then they can have him. The SPL is about the same standard as the Danish Superleague and I wouldn’t pay that much for the league’s standard defender.

I believe Liverpool paid half of that for Agger back then and he was younger.

It’s a huge gamble. But we do need another CB 🙂

• 9 The overrated Frenchman // Aug 12, 2015 at 9:41 AM

I’d like to see Tomey go out on loan. I’d like to see all our youngsters with potential go out on loan. I don’t have faith in Beardsley and the other youth coaches. How many players who took the pitch on Sunday came through our development program?

• 10 jazzyp // Aug 12, 2015 at 9:47 AM

Jesper

Good morning buddy

Do you know much about Jannik Vestergaard we are linked with ??

• 11 jazzyp // Aug 12, 2015 at 9:50 AM

Newcastle and Sunderland are all targeting a move for Tottenham winger Andros Townsend, but reports suggest he wants to stay at Spurs.

It is thought that if the North London club receive a bid of £12m for the England international then they will sell, and the Premier League trio are all keen to sign the 24-year-old to boost their attacking options.
    Looks like its going to be a busy day on the rumour mill !!

• 12 ShirebrookToon // Aug 12, 2015 at 9:51 AM

oh i do love a good rumour!

• 13 LewSpi v2.0 // Aug 12, 2015 at 9:52 AM

Jesper

The Scottish league may be a lower standard but have you seen him play recently? He’s twice the player of most players there. Saw a clip of him last week taking players on on the left wing, he’s a CB!

Too good for that league and would make the step up. 6 foot 4, Dutch and left footed too, get him next to Chancel.

• 14 Our Toon // Aug 12, 2015 at 9:55 AM

Think 1st team signings are done for this window unless someone leaves.

• 15 Graeme // Aug 12, 2015 at 9:55 AM

JT @ 3 Your “power house” Defender???

• 16 jazzyp // Aug 12, 2015 at 9:56 AM

Morning Shirebrook

Did ya get up for the game mate ??
    God damn road works on the A1 put some time on the journey.

• 17 jazzyp // Aug 12, 2015 at 10:01 AM

Get French Football ?@GFN_France ·
    Nicolas N’Koulou asks to leave Marseille & has agreed personal terms with Lyon who are offering OM €9m http://goo.gl/A3gYTz

well that’s another CB gone off the list. Villa have enquired about Abdnenour as well. Now that would be a kick in the teeth

• 18 DaraghL // Aug 12, 2015 at 10:03 AM

Please tell me were not in for Townsend…I’d 100% rather play Obertan. Townsend is a one trick pony who was found out. If he was any use he would be starting for Spurs.

• 19 ShirebrookToon // Aug 12, 2015 at 10:07 AM

Morning Jazzy mate

No didnt go to the game mate. Going to the Arsenal game at end of month with a mate from work

• 20 Jail for Ashley // Aug 12, 2015 at 10:07 AM

I’ll bet toonbotherer £100 to be paid to the SBR foundation with the receipt sent to Ed that we will win a game with Collo in the starting line up.

• 21 Our Toon // Aug 12, 2015 at 10:07 AM

Daragh

Obertan wouldn’t even make the bench for Spurs reserve team

• 22 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 12, 2015 at 10:08 AM

Greame

That lad looks awsome, but we might struggle to prise him out of Bremens cold, dead hands.

Rotonda

I still think Colo could be good if played in front of the back four. With mbemba and a tall cb behind him, i think we’d be tough to break down.

• 23 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 12, 2015 at 10:12 AM

The fbs can still push forward at times, and colo can drop back into your suggested sweeper role for spells if the fbs want to stay more advanced for a bit

• 24 will die for the toon army // Aug 12, 2015 at 10:13 AM

Thank God the season began. No transfer news but I look up to the weekend to see my team play.

Watever happens next? IN THE BOARD I TRUST. They will do the right thing.

• 25 DaraghL // Aug 12, 2015 at 10:13 AM

Our Toon –

You might be right!

It baffles me that Townsend is still getting an England call up. He is not good enough to play for a side in the top 10.

If we are going to buy a winger I’d want it to be an improvement on what we have. Given that I wouldn’t class him as an improvement on our current wingers shows how much of a waste I think he is.

• 26 DaraghL // Aug 12, 2015 at 10:17 AM

Jail –

I hope he does agree to either of our bets as he has been running that line multiple times.

I really, really hope with every evil bone in my body that the first win of the season is something ridiculous like 5-4 and Colo was at fault for the 4 we concede. Would make the win even sweeter.

• 27 jazzyp // Aug 12, 2015 at 10:17 AM

Marccacus

Would you sacrifice Anita or Colback to play Colo in the team if that’s your preferred team set up.
    I know he has little game time pre season but he played no different to last season

• 28 John Tudor // Aug 12, 2015 at 10:22 AM

colback full back janmatt cb colo dmf in front of cb

• 29 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 12, 2015 at 10:23 AM

Jazzy

I’m not sure because the system would have to change a little bit. I dont think he was any better or worse than the rest of the back four on sunday to be honest. I just think it’s worth looking at at some point.

• 30 Whumpie // Aug 12, 2015 at 10:27 AM

While I realise it’s important to keep bringing in the “ones for the future” it’s hard to get excited at the moment while the centre-back situation remains unsolved.

But, with my rose-tinted specs on, there are two things giving me a wee bit of hope:
    1. I don’t believe Maclaren would have renewed Colo if he hadn’t seen good evidence to suggest he’s got another good season in him.
    2. Mbemba looked good straight out of the blocks, despite “no minutes” with Colo, and Colo clearly being a long way off match fit. My fears about him being a Boumsong are partially allayed.

But even so: the gap in ability down to the 2nd choices: Taylor, Willo and now Lascelles – is just too big, and we know Colo won’t play 38 games.

• 31 Jail for Ashley // Aug 12, 2015 at 10:28 AM

will die,
    I can’t begin to fathom your level of stupidity!

• 32 Whumpie // Aug 12, 2015 at 10:28 AM

On the subject of defenders, this was a good read: http://cominghomenewcastle.sbnation.com/2015/8/12/9130659/newcastle-united-nufc-review-massadio-haidara

I must admit, I saw Hairdryer do some good stuff on Sunday… along with the bad. Overall, I think the stick he’s had has been well over the top.

• 33 Whumpie // Aug 12, 2015 at 10:30 AM

Will Die: While I’m not in the game of hurling insults (Jail for Ashley – WTF??) I am a bit stunned by the statement “in the board I trust” – and in CAPITALS??

What has this board ever done to gain trust? I could list the opposite here, but we’d crash the server.

This board has a HUGE distance to go before it deserves anything more than cynicism, distrust and a firm attitude of “prove it”.

• 34 jazzyp // Aug 12, 2015 at 10:31 AM

Marccasus

I agree it was the back four that was the problem again sunday, But Mbemba has hardly had any game time to. he was left out of most pre season games because of the transfer to us.
    Yet he was head and shoulders above Colo. Looked positive in bringing the ball out,Made some cracking tackles in the first half especially.
    Personally mate on form would sooner have Colback and Especially Anita who I thought had a good game, and looks like he is starting to show his true promise

• 35 Copenhagen Toon // Aug 12, 2015 at 10:33 AM

Regarding the Jannik Vestergaard link:

I’ve been reading Ed’s blog for many years, and been a fan for more than 20 years.

Being from DK I’ve seen Jannik Vestergaard quite a lot, and this guy could be a coming star.

To me , he is the top talent in Danish football, and I would love to see him in a Newcastle shirt asap! If Mbemba is worth 8M, I would definately not be afraid to pay the same or more for Jannik.

He has great positional sense, is hard tackling, has plenty of skill and does not look like Hightower (at all) when he’s on the ball. Add to that his height, and I think he’s a great match for the Toon!

Extremely excited about this, but have a feeling it’s only a media fairytale because we need a high CB – Fingers crossed!

It would push me into buying a new toon shirt though..

• 36 jimmysmith // Aug 12, 2015 at 10:36 AM

Yeah, I wonder if we might not see this at some stage

…………………………Krul
    ………………..Taylor……Mbemba.
    …janmaat…………Collo…………….Haidarra
    …………………………C.olback
    …………………Wijnaldum
    …..Sissoko……………………….Obertan
    …………………….Mitrovic..

• 37 toon kk // Aug 12, 2015 at 10:36 AM

I might be wrong but I can’t see any more 1st team signings in this window, maybe a couple of kids with potential sell on value, there’s still a regime at the club after all, its how MA works.
    He got a big fright last season. Had we’d finished mid table there’s no way he’d have spent over 30mil.
    At least we can be more optimistic this season, a few quality signings snd finally seeing the back of Pards and Carver is a great start.

• 38 Whumpie // Aug 12, 2015 at 10:38 AM

Copenhagen Toon – Jannik Vestergaard is EXACTLY the kind of player I’d like to see here. I’d happily see the transfer kitty shut if we could get him in first.

• 39 Jail for Ashley // Aug 12, 2015 at 10:41 AM

Whumpie,
    I simply cannot guage a level of stupidity from 1-10 of somebody who types in capital letters that he trusts in a board that has been the polar opposite of anywhere near trustworthy.

• 40 Graeme // Aug 12, 2015 at 10:42 AM

Jimmy @ 36 – would you really have Taylor as “Last Resort” in front of Krull? He would top the “Own Goal” League in a matter of weeks!!!

• 41 Whumpie // Aug 12, 2015 at 10:43 AM

toon kk: sadly, I think you’re right – which to me means we’ll be waiting for at least another year to know whether Ashley’s little ‘pep’ speech was anything more than a ticket sales ad. At the moment they’ve just about done enough to get us back up to Ashley’s favourite position: mid-table.

While I’d love to believe him about new ambitions, I have a lot more reasons to distrust him.

Besides – did anyone else notice that he didn’t actually say he was going to try to win anything? He just said he wouldn’t sell until we did, right? So if we never do and stay mid-table indefinitely… he’s still laughing all the way to the bank, at our expense.

Jeez, when did I become such a cynic??

(Oh, yes… over the past 7 years….)

• 42 Whumpie // Aug 12, 2015 at 10:44 AM

Jail: that’s much better put.

• 43 Our Toon // Aug 12, 2015 at 10:45 AM

Whumpie

Interesting read that article, I blasted Haidara and my opinion hasn’t changed. I watched the game back as well and either Haidara is a little dense or he just doesn’t pay attention to detail. I say that because time after time he kept showing Tadic onto his stronger foot.

Forget the cross which led to the 2nd goal, he showed tadic onto his right foot once in 90 mins, in the 1st half he sowed tadic onto his left foot and he had a shot which whistled wide, Haidara not only let him cut inside he also stood off him and let shoot.

• 44 Whumpie // Aug 12, 2015 at 10:46 AM

Graeme – Taylor wouldn’t stay on the pitch long enough to top any table; that’s his problem! He’s always on a mission to do something that either gets him banned or crocked.

I find him the most frustrating player in the squad. So much ability, but the brain of a duck. What the feck makes him think cheating and pissing about wins him any fans? He’s like a 12-year-old trying to show off to the bigger kids!

• 45 Whumpie // Aug 12, 2015 at 10:47 AM

… and he didn’t close down quick enough to stop that cross, either.

• 46 Our Toon // Aug 12, 2015 at 10:51 AM

This window was always on the cards after what had quite simply been neglect of improving for 2 years prior. We have done the bare minimum in terms of requirements to the squad.

Same old story, prices paid have increased slightly….probably to do with more money from tv deal. If you look at other teams amd how much they’ve spent on players in terms of fees then 12 / 14m is standard price!!

• 47 Our Toon // Aug 12, 2015 at 10:53 AM

Not sure if anyone got to watch Villa at the weekend but apparently Richards had a solid game at CB and Gestede cost less than Riviere

I’d have taken both in heartbeat

• 48 toon kk // Aug 12, 2015 at 10:54 AM

Our toon
    I’ve never been a big fan of Haidara, you’d think he wasn’t switched on sometimes.
    Colo is sometimes frightened he gets hit /hurt by the ball also.
    Maybe Stevie can sort them ooout!

• 49 jimmysmith // Aug 12, 2015 at 10:59 AM

I think Taylor is good, but nfortunately both injury prone and also inclined towards poor decision making in the first few games back from a spell out. Takes him a few games to settle before getting up to speed and then gets injured again, or so it seems. Even so, id have him in ahead of Willo, Lascelles or Dummet if height is going to be a problem at the back.

• 50 lordy_geordie // Aug 12, 2015 at 11:06 AM

Coventry want another striker, I would love Toney to go there. Him and Arma could be their pairing, good chance to see our future.

• 51 Our Toon // Aug 12, 2015 at 11:06 AM

Toon KK

Haidara had some horrible 1st touches of the ball….youngsters in the park have a better 1st touch. Tadic showed a new side to Haidara, tadic is a clever player but not one who’s forever looking to get in behind. Now against Swansea it’ll be a whole new challenge for him. Wingers that’ll run at him and will be very direct.

I have to say if Montero is fit then I also fear for Janmaat

• 52 Rotonda heights // Aug 12, 2015 at 11:08 AM

jimmy

i liked your team up until you mentioned saylor.

Saylor is not good. you couldn’t have put it better
    ” inclined towards poor decision making”

• 53 bladeuser // Aug 12, 2015 at 11:10 AM

WILLDIE
    get out of ahsleys arse u crawling little lamb
    ASHLEY OUT

• 54 cestriasteve // Aug 12, 2015 at 11:18 AM

Can anybody offer an explanation as to why we seemed to be a different team when Anita went off. I was at the game but haven’t watched it back but we definitely seemed to loose something when the little fella was stretched off. Was it simply Southampton stepping up a gear when Shane Long came on, was it Cheike not being match fit? I like Anita, I think he plays the simple ball well, doesn’t give the ball away too much ( despite that howler early on in the 1st half) and I think he links up well from defence to mid field but I didn’t see him being that influential on Sunday but we did look a different team when he came off.

• 55 cestriasteve // Aug 12, 2015 at 11:21 AM

Our Toon,

Have to agree there I think he was awful with his first touch and he always has a habit of knocking it just too far and then stretches himself to get a second touch. Can you imagine him and Obertan versus Stoke and Liverpool, my word!!!

• 56 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 12, 2015 at 11:25 AM

Liverpool looked appaling on Sunday

• 57 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 12, 2015 at 11:26 AM

We didn’t move for Shaqiri

• 58 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 12, 2015 at 11:26 AM

Toonbrother
    Makro and Costco aren’t daft. I’m surprised they’ve kept Colo, but they’ll quickly see what a liability he is. You just need to watch his movement for Southampton’s first goal to see what he’s all about. AWOL. That suddenly throws Mbemba. Bang. Goal. Makro was quick to mention Dummett in an early interview and I reckon he sees him as his insurance policy if we get no one in. There’s still loads of water to run under the bridge before the winfow shuts. Enough time for Colo to drop us in it a few more times.

And anyone who thinks Saylor is the answer … the lad looks the part then has a brain fart that gets himself sent off or gives away a penalty. It doesn’t stop him loving himself mind.

• 59 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 12, 2015 at 11:36 AM

Tiote and de Jong came on. Tiote’s not fit and de Jong doesn’t break sweat at the best of times. Of course he doesn’t need to bust a gut. I’m told he’s not that type of player. He shows class in other ways. You’ve got to be a special player just to coast around. A Toure or a Pirlo. I’m still waiting to see what de Jong offers. He’s been out a long time so I’ll give him some time yet – starting in the reserves.

• 60 jimmysmith // Aug 12, 2015 at 11:38 AM

Well, I’d rather slot Gary Cahill in alongside Mbemba, if Colo were played as a DM, but I’m pretty sure we’re restricted to what we actually have on the books.

• 61 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 12, 2015 at 11:39 AM

I said it before the season started. We need another top striker, a left back and a centre back to bolt the horse to the cart. Otherwise we’re stuck in the long grass in the next field but one.

• 62 Jail for Ashley // Aug 12, 2015 at 11:41 AM

A board that has had us in three very real relegation battles, that has criminally admitted it had no intention of winning anything and deliberately derailed a team that had a slight chance of success, a board that had no intention whatsoever of replacing the dire football merchant Alan Pardew, to place your undying trust in a set up like that I’d give a stupidity level of 2 with 1 being clinically brain dead.

• 63 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 12, 2015 at 11:41 AM

Can’t say enough about how impressed I was with Wijnaldum on the day. Looked a class act from the off. I read a good few on here raving about him but I’ve heard all those things before about players only for them to disappoint. Not this guy.

• 64 Jail for Ashley // Aug 12, 2015 at 11:43 AM

I’d love to say I thought Wijnaldum had a great debut but I was at the match so I’m not qualified to say that.

• 65 Whumpie // Aug 12, 2015 at 11:43 AM

Taylor’s attitude bewilders me. He plays ‘jack-the-lad’ with diving, fouling and crap like that from the 1980s – badly. And he seems to do it not because he thinks it’ll win matches, but as if he’s on some desperate mission to get a slap on the back from the lads for being what he sees as a hard-nut… but what everyone sees as just a twat.
    Who, ever, has given him the validation of that kind of mindset? WTF makes him think it’s something to aspire to?
    Bloody annoying; he showed clearly while captaining the England U21s that he has the ability – but it goes out of the window as soon as he sees an opportunity to cock around.

• 66 Whumpie // Aug 12, 2015 at 11:45 AM

Here here on Wijnaldum. Showed every sign of being the real deal.

• 67 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 12, 2015 at 11:45 AM

Jazzy…Copenhagen Toon beat me to the punch. I would just like to add that Jannik is still a diamond in the rough. No Danish defender has ever been sold for £8M 😉

LewSpi…I haven’t been watching Dijk much in the SPL. I have seen him a few times in the CL. It’s difficult to form an opinion based on that, but I have my reservations when it comes to players from the SPL especially at that price!

I might be wrong…but then again I might be right?

• 68 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 12, 2015 at 11:51 AM

Jail
    If you watched tv, you’d be better informed than if you watched a crappy livestream; and if you watched a crappy livestream, you’d be better informed than if you listened to a radio show. Of course, the place to be best informed is at the match in a good seat on the halfway line. Ask Makro and Costco why they chose those seats. People stand a better chance of making good judgments, the better they are informed.

• 69 Our Toon // Aug 12, 2015 at 11:51 AM

Cestriasteve

Anita did ok but Southampton stepped it up when he went off, think Rodriguez looked a little of the pace for them and Long gave them more of a threat. Fitness told in the end, both De Jong and Mitrovic barely had a kick.

I think we thought we can defend the 2-1 lead, wheb that didn’t work we had nothing left in the tank to win the game and we’re fortunate to hold on. Mane missed some serious chances, Mbemba took one off Pelle’s head

• 70 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 12, 2015 at 11:54 AM

Whumpie
    That’s how I see Taylor. A talent wasted by a ridiculous mindset that he’s picked up from god knows where.

• 71 lochinvar // Aug 12, 2015 at 11:56 AM

STV reports and De Telegraaf, (in Dutch) on Van Dijk.
    Suggest that if we don’t want another Shaqiri type episode then Van de Chanley and Van de McLaren put on their orange suits and do the business !

Celtic’s matches against Malmo in the Champions League play-offs already carry huge significance but they could prove to be among Virgil van Dijk’s last for the club.
    The Dutch defender has been linked with moves to just about every top-flight English club during his time in Scotland but Southampton look to be following up their interest.
    Reports today from Holland are claiming that Van Dijk will get a big-money move as soon as Celtic’s European fate is known.

Van Dijk close to sealing Southampton switch
    Ronald Koeman looks set to get his man, but not until after Celtic’s tie with Malmo (De Telegraaf, in Dutch)

• 72 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 12, 2015 at 11:58 AM

Jail
    There’s no better place when commenting on a football match than to be at one.

• 73 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 12, 2015 at 11:59 AM

I’ve yet to find one anyway

• 74 Ibizatoon // Aug 12, 2015 at 12:00 PM

Blackley…What that doesn’t allow for however is that some people just don’t have a clue, no matter where they are.

• 75 Tsunki // Aug 12, 2015 at 12:03 PM

Who Hell Makro and Costco? What fun I miss there?

Whumpie it’s worse than that mate, from the wind milling at the Gallowgate when he runs onto the pitch to the horsing around constantly and having laughs with the referee and opposing players all the time, he’s an airhead. But having said that, on his day, when he quits play acting and being the team buffoon, he can be a very good, very brave CB. And he’s still decent in the air, not many defenders,at the club can say that.

• 76 Whumpie // Aug 12, 2015 at 12:07 PM

Tsunki – that’s why I find him so infuriating. When he drops the jack-the-knob act he’s pretty good.

• 77 Our Toon // Aug 12, 2015 at 12:18 PM

Even after sitting head on to the halfway line “the best way to see” apparently isn’t it strange how they watch countless videos over and over and over again….maybe just seeing it in real time isn’t as good as you make it out to be!!

• 78 Jib // Aug 12, 2015 at 12:22 PM

Blackley and Jail giving each other high fives , I’ve seen it all now.
    Talk about the unholy alliance.
    Jeepers

• 79 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 12, 2015 at 12:25 PM

Owen thinks we will surprise

• 80 Jail for Ashley // Aug 12, 2015 at 12:26 PM

Once again without the use of Google, jeff has misread a situation. If only Google knew EVERYTHING!

• 81 WWSBRD // Aug 12, 2015 at 12:28 PM

Oh lord this ‘viewing’ the game debate still going on?

Lets move it on to the Makro and Costco thing

• 82 Tsunki // Aug 12, 2015 at 12:30 PM

I think it’s best if you have a dronecam……

• 83 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 12, 2015 at 12:32 PM

I must say I like a bit of friendly banter as much as the next person but the amount of rucking and backbiting on here astounds me. We all come to this blog because we all have something in common and that is we Support Newcastle United but why do we have all this in fighting? we all have are opinions and that’s all well and good but you shouldn’t be expected to have someones opinion shoved down your throat and singled out if you do not agree. Opinions are subjective no ones opinions are right or wrong.

• 84 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 12, 2015 at 12:33 PM

WWSBRD aren’t Makro and Costco Wholesalers?

• 85 Mag52 // Aug 12, 2015 at 12:40 PM

Ashley Out !
    Bloggers calling others ‘stupid’ Out !
    With reference to Will Die’s support for the board, am I not right in thinking that Ashley has removed himself from the board ?
    While I feel it is a lot too soon to say they have my support, I can see where Will Die is coming from.

• 86 Ian Toon // Aug 12, 2015 at 12:42 PM

Ibizatoon @73- I am with you. But what happened to the fence sitter. That’s rather a barbed comment almost tribalistic. Are you part of Macca’s “Brave new world”.
    Just passing through you’ll be pleased to know.

• 87 jimmysmith // Aug 12, 2015 at 12:44 PM

“Newcastle will surprise and finish top ten.” Hardly sticking your neck out Michael.We’d have done that last season under Pardew if he hadn’t bailed out, and without Mbemba,Mitrvic and Wijnaldum. If we finish seventh it won’t come as a surprise. I’m not even convinced Liverpool and Spurs are nailed on to finish above us.

• 88 Tsunki // Aug 12, 2015 at 12:50 PM

TFL you can shove that conciliatory talk sunshine ha ha. Yeah it’s sad but despite being ‘ fellow ‘ Toon fans, there are some old and thorny issues regarding split personas, the suspicious backers of the Ashley regime. and of course the old chestnut of being a better fan if you actually live near Newcastle, have a huge disposable income and are selfish enough to put family second to the club and your personal gratification. Oops said too much there…. 😉

• 89 Ian Toon // Aug 12, 2015 at 12:51 PM

Chancel- A lot of bloggers can’t distinguish between a difference of opinion and rank personal abuse ; without any fear of retribution. It’s a form of bullying which Ed is monitoring. The lunatic fringe – every club has them. It appears, particularly at night in the form of violent mood swings. It was suggested to me that it was drink induced or whatever but I maintain that it’s more likely to be after a long session of playing Football Manager.

• 90 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 12, 2015 at 12:52 PM

Well said Tsunki 🙂

• 91 Tsunki // Aug 12, 2015 at 12:53 PM

Well done Ian. That helped.

• 92 Ian Toon // Aug 12, 2015 at 12:54 PM

Chancel – Has Bobbybee been on recently?

• 93 Thump // Aug 12, 2015 at 12:55 PM

@Chancel: It started around the time Keegan left, worsened in the Championship, and it’s pretty much leveled out since. Had you have seen this blog when I started posting here (2008ish) it was a very different place. Maybe it’s just the new batch coming through, maybe we’re more opinionated, but as far as I can tell (given that it’s mirrored across a few blogs), the fans are divided on a lot of subjects and it started with Ashley.

But if anybody asks you, blame it on Welshy.

• 94 Tsunki // Aug 12, 2015 at 12:57 PM

Mood swings and drink- induced? Is that your theory Ian?

• 95 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 12, 2015 at 1:03 PM

IanToon
    No I haven’t seen bobbybee for a while

Thump
    I’ve been reading this blog since about 2010 and posting since 2011 but been a regular poster since becoming ill last year. I’ve seen some characters come and go but lately for me its been terrible. Jeff/Jib encapsulates that.

• 96 Tsunki // Aug 12, 2015 at 1:03 PM

I think many of the petty differences we’ve become embroiled in ( not excluding myself here) all start with the most innocent of comments. In a realm where there is no body language, knowing look or laughter, even the most skilled blogger can type something in all innocence and another will take it completely the wrong way, or a little too personally. After that it’s all downhill. I think if many of the rivals here had met personally before all this they’d probably get on like a house on fire. Just a theory. You have to put it into perspective, I don’t have any personal issues with anyone on the blog. I just occasionally take issue with a nickname with a paragraph attached to it 😀

• 97 Tsunki // Aug 12, 2015 at 1:05 PM

Aye TFL it only takes one fly to ruin the custard.

• 98 Ian Toon // Aug 12, 2015 at 1:07 PM

Tsunki- your not the only one who can do sarcasm. Brave bloggers hiding behind avatars. What motivates this? Is it frustration, jealousy or simply inanity.
    Personally I think it’s frustration and basic insecurity that are the main causes. Bloggers unhappy with their lot or their situation. Simply trying to compensate by exaggerating their own achievements or by attempting to put others down. In the real world you would spot the phoney straight away- well I would!

• 99 Jail for Ashley // Aug 12, 2015 at 1:07 PM

Thorny issues, call it differing opinions if you wish, personally I think it is stupid to type in capital letters that you trust in a board responsible for the things I posted above, which incidently only scratch the surface of what other idiocies they have performed to lose our trust.

• 100 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 12, 2015 at 1:07 PM

hahaha Tsunki

You are right, you are one of the few bloggers I get on with really well, same as Bobbybee, G2, Belfast etc, sorry if I’ve left anyone out no offence.
    I imagine you’d be a great laugh over a pint or 6

• 101 Tsunki // Aug 12, 2015 at 1:08 PM

Thumps right though, the blog has deteriorated badly during Ashleys tenure. And specifically it’s the divide over his motives and ambition that have derailed the blog mostly. I think the majority of fans find defending Ashley after the years up to the infamous ‘ Video of Intent’ to be particularly distasteful and suspicion arousing.

• 102 dok - the horrid colonial // Aug 12, 2015 at 1:08 PM

‘I am willing to bet a £100 we dont win a single while colocinni is in the starting line up
    any takers’

toonbother, im in…. shake on it?

• 103 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 12, 2015 at 1:10 PM

72% of NUFC fans would take Barton back

• 104 Tsunki // Aug 12, 2015 at 1:10 PM

Ha ha TFL you are correct I am quite a fun drunk, not morose at all. 🙂 I somehow become more sel-effacing too which goes contrary to the norm 🙂

• 105 Thump // Aug 12, 2015 at 1:10 PM

@Chancel: Oh absolutely, I think the usual suspects are just vitriolic by nature. With those people tends to come a hint of racism (won’t name names, but I’m sure everybody knows who I’m talking about) which speaks to their character in general.

What was your username pre-Chancel?

• 106 Tsunki // Aug 12, 2015 at 1:11 PM

Dok – betting suspended mate, sorry.

• 107 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 12, 2015 at 1:12 PM

Thump I was TFL mate

• 108 Jib // Aug 12, 2015 at 1:12 PM

Jail
    This board , wasn’t THAT board , so your point is irrelevent.
    Looking back and harking on about past mistakes like a naggy wife just weakens your anti Club stance

• 109 BandB // Aug 12, 2015 at 1:15 PM

I think there have been and will be no more improved bids.
    Our bids are on the table.
    It’s “take it or leave it” time.
    The club is likely happy with its business, though will be open to reconsider if the “right deal” presents itself.
    Whether the “right deal” will bear any relation to the weaknesses in the current squad is another matter.
    There. A simple, inoffensive statement of NUFC-related opinion on a football blog.
    Absolutely guaranteed to boil someone’s p*ss.

• 110 Jail for Ashley // Aug 12, 2015 at 1:15 PM

jeff,
    Potato potato

• 111 John Tudor // Aug 12, 2015 at 1:15 PM

dear me anti club stance is what it called now
    bollocks i thought it was realism

• 112 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 12, 2015 at 1:16 PM

I see your point BandB, the offence is in the eye of the beholder

• 113 Ian Toon // Aug 12, 2015 at 1:18 PM

Tsunki- Surely it depends whether your looking to be offended. We are living in such an age.
    I personally find jib a good blogger who is very well informed. He like Belfast is a good source of information and an amusing character. I think it would help if bloggers took the whole thing a little less seriously. You go of script and sometimes are funny. That was a lame attempt to be funny. Far too much drawing of conclusions and being judgmental – live and let live but don’t be abusive.
    There are some who come on simply to have a ruck- mindless morons are not entertaining amusing or enlightening.

• 114 Tsunki // Aug 12, 2015 at 1:19 PM

Ian @ 97 proving Tsunki @95.

• 115 Jib // Aug 12, 2015 at 1:22 PM

This article says that while lots of clubs are sniffing around Abdennour
    Barcelona Roma Inetr Valencia Tottenham Wolfsburg
    Amazingly The Toon are the only ones to have tabled a concrete offer of €17 million which isn’t too far from Monacos valuation at 20

• 116 Tsunki // Aug 12, 2015 at 1:24 PM

Ian, I’ve obviously brought your urine to beyond the acceptable 100 degree C threshold recently. And I don’t know which of my attempts at humour you are taking exception to. But if you don’t want to be my control lab rat I suggest you get that haemhorroid cushion out. And that was a lighthearted jab. No more.

• 117 Jib // Aug 12, 2015 at 1:28 PM

While this article says Jannik Westergaarde would have been a reasonable buy at his original price for a young pretty much untested CB but Bremen have gotten greedy and cooled NUFC interest

• 118 Tsunki // Aug 12, 2015 at 1:28 PM

Oh and Ian, you’re wrong – belfast is definitely not a source of information ( holding my sides here they don’t ‘ all ache) and it’s Google you’re referring to. They don’t call it Jib afaik. Jeff would be fine if he didn’t misread situations and try catching people out with his search engine fault-finder.

• 119 Tsunki // Aug 12, 2015 at 1:30 PM

BandB – I take exception to your mindless rant and everything you stand for! Whatever it or that is. What was the question again?

• 120 John Tudor // Aug 12, 2015 at 1:31 PM

note to self
    ignore the inane ramblings of well everyone knows who

• 121 Jib // Aug 12, 2015 at 1:33 PM

I think the two links I just posted bear out BandB’s point perfectly.
    We are a cash on the barrelhead club
    We have our opinion on the value of players and will not deviate
    A good example is Wijnaldum
    McClaren told the board that PSV’s valuation was fair and thus we paid it

• 122 Tsunki // Aug 12, 2015 at 1:33 PM

I’m offended JT. I thought we were friends 🙂

• 123 Tsunki // Aug 12, 2015 at 1:35 PM

Jeff I hope you’re right and SM has the influence to mark players he wants, who knows maybe the is a defender deal or two under the covers.

• 124 John Tudor // Aug 12, 2015 at 1:35 PM

not you the bi polar dude

• 125 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 12, 2015 at 1:38 PM

Which one JT there are a few?

• 126 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 12, 2015 at 1:40 PM

Thinking of a multiple persona on here reminds me of Victor/Victoria lol

• 127 Ian Toon // Aug 12, 2015 at 1:44 PM

Tsunki- Build me up buttercup. There’s a difference between criticism and abuse- we can all be judgmental. Maybe it’s an age thing but I take ill mannered behaviour as far worse than a lot of what I see as trivial issues with all due respect. I have found in my relatively young existence that if you show respect to pretty much anyone you’ll get it back in return. I realise this is old hat for a blog!
    On Belfast – he is a constant character perceived from a blog – you know what your getting. I like people like that because you don’t have to concern oneself with sensibilities. Like a kindergarten/ school/ university friend you haven’t seen for years but you instantly carry on as when you last met.
    For what it’s worth as my grandfather and father always said- just get on with it. This is a football blog for heavens sake!

• 128 John Tudor // Aug 12, 2015 at 1:44 PM

bloggers blogging to themselves

• 129 John Tudor // Aug 12, 2015 at 1:46 PM

à deux

• 130 Mister Tuff // Aug 12, 2015 at 1:50 PM

what’s this Macca’s bwave new world all about. I’ve never heard such a load of poncey crap.

• 131 Thump // Aug 12, 2015 at 1:55 PM

@Chancel: Ah right, didn’t know you’d been posting that regularly tbh. That said, I have an awful head for names anyway.

How goes the recovery?

• 132 Jib // Aug 12, 2015 at 1:55 PM

adieu – farewell
    á deux – together
    which did you mean ?

• 133 jazzyp // Aug 12, 2015 at 1:55 PM

Jib

Was there not talk of Abdennour wanting to come to the prem as well not long back.
    A good start to the season and if we can stay around the top 7-8 might attract the better players we are linked with. Trouble is we have a tough few games coming up !!

• 134 John Tudor // Aug 12, 2015 at 1:57 PM

its written as the post was durr
    bi polar surely you saw that or are you starting ww3

• 135 John Tudor // Aug 12, 2015 at 1:58 PM

was it directed at you if not decline to comment

• 136 Jib // Aug 12, 2015 at 1:59 PM

Mr Tuff
    I don’t believe you
    I think your world is full of poncey crap
    Go on admit it
    You’re a hairdresser aren’t you ?
    What do you call yourself ?
    The bald barber
    Hirsute was us
    The egg and I

• 137 Jib // Aug 12, 2015 at 2:03 PM

jazzyp
    Abdennour has one of those agents who changes with the wind

In June he was saying his client loves the PL.

Today he’s saying Serie A is the place to be.

All the agent has done is seriously ticked off Monaco

Time is on our side.

• 138 Mister Tuff // Aug 12, 2015 at 2:04 PM

jibberish – don’t know how a lauded lecturer in Modern European History like yourself – I recall you bragging about it, has the time to post on here. I mean don’t you have lectures to prepare or examination papers to mark?
    What seats of education have you taught at.
    Come to think of it – seems like a tall story.

• 139 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 12, 2015 at 2:05 PM

Thump
    Bloody hard mate its a real struggle but I’ll get there mate

• 140 Jib // Aug 12, 2015 at 2:08 PM

Tuffty
    A story from your own imaginings.

• 141 Pottsclock // Aug 12, 2015 at 2:09 PM

Brighton signing a new centre-back…could Dunk be moving? A very good player, albeit with no premiership experience…

• 142 Tsunki // Aug 12, 2015 at 2:11 PM

Ian I’m over it.

• 143 Jib // Aug 12, 2015 at 2:12 PM

Mr Tuff
    On a more serious note for a moment
    I don’t think SM can believe his luck
    I think he played Obertan to put him in the shop window.
    Then Gabby goes and flukes a cross like that.
    He may be used as a makeweight in a further bid for Thauvin

• 144 catchy in norway // Aug 12, 2015 at 2:14 PM

Its nice to see so many on here have changed there tune on SM, not many wanted him, I have been wanting him since the start of last season, he is a very good coach, and i am glad we have him

what a breath of fresh air it was on Sunday, to see us play football again as a team, wow, makes me wonder what so many saw/sore in Pardew as a coach, and why so many wanted to keep him. McClaren been at the club only months, only been working with the players for a few weeks really and wow, there is a world of difference in so many aspects of we played on Sunday, even if we come out of our first 8 games with only a few points, I know that by the end of the season we will be that much better as a team.

im sticking to my top 6 prediction 🙂

• 145 John Tudor // Aug 12, 2015 at 2:16 PM

you cant tell me macca believes his defence is good
    is the man blind or intoxicated
    get some fresh faces in ugly ones

• 146 catchy in norway // Aug 12, 2015 at 2:22 PM

JT

I think SM thinks the defence is good, it OC could be better, but player wise I think he thinks its not so bad, we will not concede as many goals from the fact we play higher up the pitch, and we try and keep the ball more, with time better understanding between players.

give this team a few weeks to get up to pace, we will be ok

• 147 dok - the horrid colonial // Aug 12, 2015 at 2:28 PM

dammit tsunki… I had plans for the free money from our resident colo-lover 🙂

• 148 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 12, 2015 at 2:52 PM

Ibiza
    Using your judgment with the information you’ve got is another thing. I was only talking about being better olaced to comment. Some people on here call others knackers for their opinions. I think it’s because they’re limited and spend more time slagging off posters than contributing on football. It’s not very often that anyone is demonstrably wrong when voicing an opinion. But sometimes they are. Even the best of them. “You’ll never win anything with kids” or words to that effect. We might see if anyone can be shown to be right or wrong on Colo. But whatever the result, your dick’s the same size.

• 149 Essex Geordie Bill // Aug 12, 2015 at 2:58 PM

I really don’t see why the club keep buying promising young players as most of the time they don’t step up to the first team as regulars. How many actually have?

Personally I’d rather see them follow the ‘big clubs’ example and invest in older experienced players, say 28/29 + They might not have the same potential re-sale value but could be a better asset in terms of success on the field.

• 150 catchy in norway // Aug 12, 2015 at 3:08 PM

Blackley and Brownlie

for a few years, I got made o be the villain on here because of my opinion on both p45 and obertan, Ibiza also joined in on this, but at least he took some time out to ask why I had the opinion I had, he never agreed with it, but most of the others just joined in because they seem to have very little knowledge off football and wanted to be in the popular crowd.

to this day I think a lot of what I read on here is written by people who have no clue about football.

mind you that also goes for a lot of ex pros that are pundits, most are out of touch with reality and seem to be given air time or paper space simply because they played the game.

most of them think that because a player cost 50 million, the team he plays in is a better team because of his value, last season I kept hearing how much Man u had spent on Di Maria, and the team was a strong team when in reality, the team was a weaker team when he was in it, and if there keeper hadn’t of had the season he did have , Man U would have been much lower 6/7/8.

anyway, I think this blog has lots of bullies on it,

• 151 cyprus // Aug 12, 2015 at 3:12 PM

In the cold light of day: And my CL football prediction is the most optimistic of the blog.

On another day, an unlucky one, we could’ve conceded a few. Instead of 2-1 it could’ve been 1-2 in that minute…

Just saying Steve, that 40% improvement will be needed.

• 152 clinath@ed // Aug 12, 2015 at 3:20 PM

Catchy…..agreed with everything there mate.

• 153 Jib // Aug 12, 2015 at 3:24 PM

Jose Enrique says he has been frozen out at Liverpool – along with Mario Balotelli and Fabio Borini.
    The former Newcastle United defender feels “alienated”, having not been involved in the club’s pre-season preparations along with Balotelli and ex-Sunderland forward Borini.

Boo Hoo what a shame.

Sometimes a little bit of Schadenfreude is good for the soul.

• 154 catchy in norway // Aug 12, 2015 at 3:26 PM

Cyprus

I think there was 2 stone cold pens in there for us, the guys had there hand out at the side of them and not down by their sides,

I think for 75 mins we were in a good game, there fitness was at a higher level due to them being back training a few weeks earlier than us

• 155 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 12, 2015 at 3:27 PM

Catchy @149
    Good that I’m not the only one who sees it.

• 156 Sazzer // Aug 12, 2015 at 3:28 PM

Vestergaard was one of the better players in the U21 tourney.

Rudiger, Van Dijk, Sule, Vestergaard, Dunk and Van Beek could all be the ballplaying centerback with height that we need.

I excluded Veltman, Umitti, Nkoulou and so on since they are similar to Colo and Mbemba and african players like Abdennour and Matip. And hard to get like Rugani.

• 157 Jib // Aug 12, 2015 at 3:32 PM

catchy in norway
    If we’d had the sort of ref who gave penalties for those dodgy handballs , he would have been the sort to have given Mitro a red card.
    Swings and roundabouts

• 158 catchy in norway // Aug 12, 2015 at 3:38 PM

clinath@ed & Blackley and Brownlie

• 159 catchy in norway // Aug 12, 2015 at 3:43 PM

Jib

and what would have been wrong with that, in your world 2 wrongs may make a right, but in mine it dosnt,

they should have been 2 pens in my book, and if he had of been sent off, we could have had no argument, he put a stupid tackle in on the guy who was going nowhere on the touchline in his own half, but for me a yellow was the right card. so I think he got it right.

if its wrong its wrong, that’s what he is paid for

• 160 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 12, 2015 at 4:14 PM

I didn’t think we deserved any pens having seen it on tv. I’d be annoyed if we’d had any like that awarded against us. The Mitrovic tackle was no more than a yellow. The ref had a good game.

• 161 doofa the loofa // Aug 12, 2015 at 4:21 PM

Has joey signed yet??

• 162 Jib // Aug 12, 2015 at 4:23 PM

in your world 2 wrongs may make a right, but in mine it dosnt,
    Same old Catchy
    Sighs

• 163 doofa the loofa // Aug 12, 2015 at 4:29 PM

Bnb.. having seen it on tv!!
    Honesty is always the best policy. 😉 imho haha

• 164 beermonkey // Aug 12, 2015 at 4:32 PM

chancel

are u around

• 165 Sazzer // Aug 12, 2015 at 4:43 PM

Amartey & Holgate seem to be the type of link you get when a player is close to another club and #NUFC scouted them one time and moved on.

Amartey looks closest to Leicester, Holgate closest to Everton and Vestergaard closest to Newcastle.

• 166 Ibizatoon // Aug 12, 2015 at 4:50 PM

Blackley…If that’s all your trying to say, I think you have. On many occassions. It’s just this particular debate has stretched on a bit now. It’s getting a bit like your it’s only young fans who’ve never been to SJP comments regarding the protests. There is no rhyme of reason to the opinions, they are just that, opinions.

As for your last comment. I don’t know, after a really good result it might be possible to stretch out a little bit more.

Catchy…I never tried to make you out to be a villain. For what it’s worth, I don’t think anyone else did either. People offered a differing opinion and found yours to be far too extreme and OTT. We’ve been down this road before, you know how to throw around the odd insult yourself too. Surely it’s time to stop playing the victim?

Ian…The time you spend on here is really of no concern to me. I thought you knew that already.

I’m a little confused by your comment though. Are you saying my comment @73 was “rather barbed”, “almost tribalistic”?

If so, how so? 🙂

I was happy on the fence whilst I waited for further evidence. As you know, I hd a lot of faith in the regime for a good long while, which was made to look naive in the extreme. I just adapt to the information I have available to me.

Do tell me about this brave new world though. Is it better than this one? 🙂

• 167 Moonraker15 // Aug 12, 2015 at 4:56 PM

Cestriasteve
    I was at the game and when Anita went off it coincided with Southampton stepping up the pace to get an equaliser, Tiote was gasping for breath after 5 minutes and we tired and sat back. De Jong should have dropped back but he hardly got a touch whereas Wijnaldum had been box to box.

They were obviously fitter having had more proper games and they pushed on and had men forward in our box. With hindsight we should have gone to one up front (Mitrovic) and we probably would have won it.

If you want one reason I think it was fitness combined with they Had to attack and they have quality.

previous post: Some Of This Slowly Seeping Back At Newcastle