Newcastle In Bid For Talented English Teenager

There’s a report in the Mai today that Newcastle have made an offer for 18 year-old Barnsley defender Mason Holgate, who had a trial at Manchester United this summer.

While Newcastle and Everton are said to be interested, it looks like Bournemouth could be close to doing a deal for £1M for the teenager.

mason holgate barnelsy

Mason Holgate 18 year-old Barnsley defender

In fact the report in the Mail says Newcastle have already made an offer for the young defender,  so we can only assume that Bournemouth may have put in a better bid.

In the next three weeks Newcastle want to sign more players for the future like Ivan Toney, the 19 year-old striker we signed form Northampton last week.

Holgate played 22 times last season with one goal for Barnsley, and he seems to be a little bit like Leeds United’s Sam Byram, who we are also interested in.

Holgate plays right-back but he can also play in different positions on the right hand side of the field, but according to the report in the Mail it’s looking like Bournemouth may win the race for the teenager.

Holgate was born in Doncaster, South Yorkshire and joined Barnsley at the age of nine back in 2005.

The 6ft tall youngster made his League One debut for Barnsley only last December, when he played the whole game in the 1–1 draw against his home town club Doncaster.

Even though Bournemouth are in talks to sign the player, it’s still possible that Newcastle could move in and be successful in signing the teenager.

If Newcastle do manage to sign Holgate, we could well send him out on loan for the season, even allowing him to remain at the Oakwell club.

Steve McClaren is still deciding whether Ivan Toney should be sent out on loan or whether he will stay as part of Peter Beardsley’s Development squad at Newcastle.

It’s important we sign some of these top youngsters for the future, and we noticed that 18 year-old central midfielder Dele Alli,  made his debut for Tottenham on Saturday.

Spurs signed him in January for £5M, when they beat us to the MK Dons youngster, after we had been the favorites to sign him.

We seem to have done nothing right in January.

🙁

The 6ft 2ins teenager came on in the second half at Old Trafford in the 1-0 loss, so he must have impressed in pre-season training.

• Tsunki

Aug 12, 2015 at 9:30 AM

Ashley Out!

• Bambams

Aug 12, 2015 at 9:32 AM

At £1m……

Worth a punt.

Don’t know much about the lad.

• John Tudor

Aug 12, 2015 at 9:33 AM

where’s the top centre back and the breathtaking star we are going to sign

• John Tudor

Aug 12, 2015 at 9:33 AM

sergio ramos

• Rotonda heights

Aug 12, 2015 at 9:34 AM

Munster

You are spot on re – Colo only playing as a sweeper. I think behind MBemba and 1 tall CB and playing 2 wing backs Colo could be a revelation as a sweeper.

We were so much better to watch on Sunday but it’s obvious to a blind man that we will still be susceptible in the air with just Colo and MBemba, with Haidara seemingly unable to prevent crosses coming in and Janmatt unable to get off the ground.

On thing we do now have is serious pace with sissoko, wijnaldum, Obertan, mbemba and aarons.

• toon kk

Aug 12, 2015 at 9:38 AM

And so the regime continues, we need first team players now. We have the perfect opportunity to push on but we’d rather take a chance on a kid from the lower leagues, with potential sell on value. Our squad has loads of them and not one is good enough to push us forward.

• Tsunki

Aug 12, 2015 at 9:38 AM

Another one to snap up and put in the bargain bin in Pedro’ s Purgatory

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 12, 2015 at 9:38 AM

Jazzy…morning mate!

If Soton had bid that much then they can have him. The SPL is about the same standard as the Danish Superleague and I wouldn’t pay that much for the league’s standard defender.

I believe Liverpool paid half of that for Agger back then and he was younger.

It’s a huge gamble. But we do need another CB 🙂

• The overrated Frenchman

Aug 12, 2015 at 9:41 AM

I’d like to see Tomey go out on loan. I’d like to see all our youngsters with potential go out on loan. I don’t have faith in Beardsley and the other youth coaches. How many players who took the pitch on Sunday came through our development program?

• jazzyp

Aug 12, 2015 at 9:47 AM

Jesper

Good morning buddy

Do you know much about Jannik Vestergaard we are linked with ??

• jazzyp

Aug 12, 2015 at 9:50 AM

Newcastle and Sunderland are all targeting a move for Tottenham winger Andros Townsend, but reports suggest he wants to stay at Spurs.

It is thought that if the North London club receive a bid of £12m for the England international then they will sell, and the Premier League trio are all keen to sign the 24-year-old to boost their attacking options.
    Looks like its going to be a busy day on the rumour mill !!

• ShirebrookToon

Aug 12, 2015 at 9:51 AM

oh i do love a good rumour!

• LewSpi v2.0

Aug 12, 2015 at 9:52 AM

Jesper

The Scottish league may be a lower standard but have you seen him play recently? He’s twice the player of most players there. Saw a clip of him last week taking players on on the left wing, he’s a CB!

Too good for that league and would make the step up. 6 foot 4, Dutch and left footed too, get him next to Chancel.

• Our Toon

Aug 12, 2015 at 9:55 AM

Think 1st team signings are done for this window unless someone leaves.

• Graeme

Aug 12, 2015 at 9:55 AM

• jazzyp

Aug 12, 2015 at 9:56 AM

Morning Shirebrook

Did ya get up for the game mate ??
    God damn road works on the A1 put some time on the journey.

• jazzyp

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:01 AM

Get French Football ?@GFN_France ·
    Nicolas N’Koulou asks to leave Marseille & has agreed personal terms with Lyon who are offering OM €9m http://goo.gl/A3gYTz

well that’s another CB gone off the list. Villa have enquired about Abdnenour as well. Now that would be a kick in the teeth

• DaraghL

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:03 AM

Please tell me were not in for Townsend…I’d 100% rather play Obertan. Townsend is a one trick pony who was found out. If he was any use he would be starting for Spurs.

• ShirebrookToon

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:07 AM

Morning Jazzy mate

No didnt go to the game mate. Going to the Arsenal game at end of month with a mate from work

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:07 AM

I’ll bet toonbotherer £100 to be paid to the SBR foundation with the receipt sent to Ed that we will win a game with Collo in the starting line up.

• Our Toon

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:07 AM

Daragh

Obertan wouldn’t even make the bench for Spurs reserve team

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:08 AM

Greame

That lad looks awsome, but we might struggle to prise him out of Bremens cold, dead hands.

Rotonda

I still think Colo could be good if played in front of the back four. With mbemba and a tall cb behind him, i think we’d be tough to break down.

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:12 AM

The fbs can still push forward at times, and colo can drop back into your suggested sweeper role for spells if the fbs want to stay more advanced for a bit

• will die for the toon army

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:13 AM

Thank God the season began. No transfer news but I look up to the weekend to see my team play.

Watever happens next? IN THE BOARD I TRUST. They will do the right thing.

• DaraghL

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:13 AM

Our Toon –

You might be right!

It baffles me that Townsend is still getting an England call up. He is not good enough to play for a side in the top 10.

If we are going to buy a winger I’d want it to be an improvement on what we have. Given that I wouldn’t class him as an improvement on our current wingers shows how much of a waste I think he is.

• DaraghL

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:17 AM

Jail –

I hope he does agree to either of our bets as he has been running that line multiple times.

I really, really hope with every evil bone in my body that the first win of the season is something ridiculous like 5-4 and Colo was at fault for the 4 we concede. Would make the win even sweeter.

• jazzyp

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:17 AM

Marccacus

Would you sacrifice Anita or Colback to play Colo in the team if that’s your preferred team set up.
    I know he has little game time pre season but he played no different to last season

• John Tudor

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:22 AM

colback full back janmatt cb colo dmf in front of cb

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:23 AM

Jazzy

I’m not sure because the system would have to change a little bit. I dont think he was any better or worse than the rest of the back four on sunday to be honest. I just think it’s worth looking at at some point.

• Whumpie

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:27 AM

While I realise it’s important to keep bringing in the “ones for the future” it’s hard to get excited at the moment while the centre-back situation remains unsolved.

But, with my rose-tinted specs on, there are two things giving me a wee bit of hope:
    1. I don’t believe Maclaren would have renewed Colo if he hadn’t seen good evidence to suggest he’s got another good season in him.
    2. Mbemba looked good straight out of the blocks, despite “no minutes” with Colo, and Colo clearly being a long way off match fit. My fears about him being a Boumsong are partially allayed.

But even so: the gap in ability down to the 2nd choices: Taylor, Willo and now Lascelles – is just too big, and we know Colo won’t play 38 games.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:28 AM

will die,
    I can’t begin to fathom your level of stupidity!

• Whumpie

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:28 AM

On the subject of defenders, this was a good read: http://cominghomenewcastle.sbnation.com/2015/8/12/9130659/newcastle-united-nufc-review-massadio-haidara

I must admit, I saw Hairdryer do some good stuff on Sunday… along with the bad. Overall, I think the stick he’s had has been well over the top.

• Whumpie

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:30 AM

Will Die: While I’m not in the game of hurling insults (Jail for Ashley – WTF??) I am a bit stunned by the statement “in the board I trust” – and in CAPITALS??

What has this board ever done to gain trust? I could list the opposite here, but we’d crash the server.

This board has a HUGE distance to go before it deserves anything more than cynicism, distrust and a firm attitude of “prove it”.

• jazzyp

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:31 AM

Marccasus

I agree it was the back four that was the problem again sunday, But Mbemba has hardly had any game time to. he was left out of most pre season games because of the transfer to us.
    Yet he was head and shoulders above Colo. Looked positive in bringing the ball out,Made some cracking tackles in the first half especially.
    Personally mate on form would sooner have Colback and Especially Anita who I thought had a good game, and looks like he is starting to show his true promise

• Copenhagen Toon

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:33 AM

Regarding the Jannik Vestergaard link:

I’ve been reading Ed’s blog for many years, and been a fan for more than 20 years.

Being from DK I’ve seen Jannik Vestergaard quite a lot, and this guy could be a coming star.

To me , he is the top talent in Danish football, and I would love to see him in a Newcastle shirt asap! If Mbemba is worth 8M, I would definately not be afraid to pay the same or more for Jannik.

He has great positional sense, is hard tackling, has plenty of skill and does not look like Hightower (at all) when he’s on the ball. Add to that his height, and I think he’s a great match for the Toon!

Extremely excited about this, but have a feeling it’s only a media fairytale because we need a high CB – Fingers crossed!

It would push me into buying a new toon shirt though..

• jimmysmith

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:36 AM

Yeah, I wonder if we might not see this at some stage

…………………………Krul
    ………………..Taylor……Mbemba.
    …janmaat…………Collo…………….Haidarra
    …………………………C.olback
    …………………Wijnaldum
    …..Sissoko……………………….Obertan
    …………………….Mitrovic..

• toon kk

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:36 AM

I might be wrong but I can’t see any more 1st team signings in this window, maybe a couple of kids with potential sell on value, there’s still a regime at the club after all, its how MA works.
    He got a big fright last season. Had we’d finished mid table there’s no way he’d have spent over 30mil.
    At least we can be more optimistic this season, a few quality signings snd finally seeing the back of Pards and Carver is a great start.

• Whumpie

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:38 AM

Copenhagen Toon – Jannik Vestergaard is EXACTLY the kind of player I’d like to see here. I’d happily see the transfer kitty shut if we could get him in first.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:41 AM

Whumpie,
    I simply cannot guage a level of stupidity from 1-10 of somebody who types in capital letters that he trusts in a board that has been the polar opposite of anywhere near trustworthy.

• Graeme

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:42 AM

Jimmy @ 36 – would you really have Taylor as “Last Resort” in front of Krull? He would top the “Own Goal” League in a matter of weeks!!!

1 2 3 5