The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Three Players Newcastle Want – Who We Really Need This Month

4:38 pm, Wednesday, August 12th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 24 Comments

There are less than three weeks to go in the transfer window, and Newcastle will attempt to bring in some first team players as well as some younger players who will become part of Peter Beardsley’s Development squad, before the end of the month.

But it seems that any deals Newcastle will make have to be on the club’s terms, which  means that if QPR continue to want £15M for their striker Charlie Austin, he will not be coming to Newcastle.

raphael Guerreiro

Raphael Guerreiro – Lorient left-back

Steve McClaren keeps insisting that they have to be the right players and that it’s not worth bringing somebody in just for the sake of it, and that’s sensible enough.

Last summer we seemed to bring in Facundo Ferreyra out of nowhere – when we were short of strikers –  and we hadn’t even checked him out, and that didn’t work out too well – in fact it was another disastrous loan signing for us.

Newcastle do want another striker in, so if we can do a decent deal for Bordeaux striker Diego Rolan – that could happen.

But we are not all that short of strikers if we keep Papiss Cisse, even if Riviere is injured,  because we always have the option of playing Siem de Jong up front as an out-and-out striker – and he knows where the goal is.

And Ayoze Perez will need some playing time this season to continue his excellent development from last season, and of course we have Aleksandar Mitrovic who seems full of goals.

We hope he’s full of goals.

So if we don’t get another striker in, and we keep Cisse, we are still in pretty good shape.

We also need a defender and it looks like we are interested in 21 year-old Sam Byram of Leeds, who has entered into further negotiations for a new contract at Leeds, and we have also been linked with Raphael Guerreiro, the 21 year-old Portuguese International, who plays for Lorient in France.

Raphael is a left back and maybe Steve McClaren thinks we could be stronger in that position,  although he still has to see Paul Dummett in action this season.

It does look like Newcastle will try to sign a full back before September 1st, and at this stage we’d be surprised if we bring in another center-back, even though we have been linked with 6ft 6ins tall Danish center-back Jannik Vestergaard of Werder Bremen.

Newcastle really do need to bring in another good defender this month, and one who can immediately become a starter,  so that will also help increase the competition for the back four places.

If we bring in a top left back – or even better – a top full back who can play on either side – then our starting back four could be Janmaat, Coloccini, Mbemba and the new signing – maybe Guerreiro – and that would be an improvement over the last three seasons.

The third player Newcastle seem to be after is a winger,  and Florian Thauvin seems to our top target.

We are supposed to have bid £12M for him but had that offer turned down by Marseilles, who are said to want £15M.

That’s a lot of money for a very good player, but he hasn’t yet made the full French team – so £15M would probably be overpaying for the 22 year-old Frenchman.

We were really surprised Newcastle didn’t go after Inter-Milan winger Xherdan Shaqiri, who signed on at Stoke for £12M – which is not a bad price for such a good player, who is so very experienced.

Xherdan would have been an exciting signing for Newcastle fans, but the news is we weren’t interested in him – which is surprising.

It would be good to get another winger in,  but we do have players like Remy Cabella and Rolando Aarons who are not first team regulars at the moment and pushing for a starting place,  so while another winger would be good – it wouldn’t be a disaster if we didn’t get one in this month.

As long as Papiss Cisse stays we don’t have to buy another striker either.

But we do need to bring in a top full-back to fix the poor defense we have had over the last three seasons, when we have conceded a massive 190 goals in the Premier League.

With a defender seeming to be the minimum requirement,  it would also be good to bring in a couple of top young players for Peter Beardsley’s Development squad.

Then we can see how we do through the end of the year, and see who is available in January.

What do you think?

Tags: Newcastle News · Recruitment · Scouting Network · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

24 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jib // Aug 12, 2015 at 4:45 PM

Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 12, 2015 at 4:14 PM
    I didn’t think we deserved any pens having seen it on tv.

Ha ha ha

Credit to Doofa Loofa

• 2 Bambams // Aug 12, 2015 at 4:45 PM

Big thread Ed

CB is a worry, however I agree we need the right player.
    I have shouted Van Dijk but it might be we are not after him. As long as they have a target that will be able to play alongside Mbemba 6ft 4 plus would help.

Wingers…..Not sure
    Left back….Haidara is young, Dummet can play. Let’s see in January
    Striker….If Cisse can score and mitrovic scores we also have a few others who can chip in now. Would of liked Shaqiri.

Hope they know what they are doing this time !

• 3 Belfast // Aug 12, 2015 at 4:46 PM

Austin claxon!

• 4 cyprus // Aug 12, 2015 at 4:46 PM

Catchy, fair point regarding pens. I wasn’t aware NUFC was entitled to those 🙂

Still. I too enjoyed the game, I wrote while we were losing that we’d win, if you check back. But the collapse in the last 20′ reminded me too much of last year is all I was saying.

Given those last minutes, a defeat would not have been too unfair.

I expect more. It was only the first game. A world of improvement on Pards.

• 5 toon kk // Aug 12, 2015 at 4:51 PM

We all know what we need, but I think our transfer business is over for this window. Mash has done enough to keep us up and hopefully maintain a mid table status. Quality player’s linked with us will be purely speculation.

• 6 Rotonda heights // Aug 12, 2015 at 4:52 PM

from last thread. I don’t agree. Previously the coaching has been of an appallingly low standard. I don’t believe that is the case now, maybe beardsley and watson apart.

I agree calling a ” development” squad coached by beardsley is an oxymoron, but it will now be overseen by cathro etc.

Also signing 28/29/30 year olds usually means someone looking for a big last pay day.

• 7 Ibizatoon // Aug 12, 2015 at 4:53 PM

Got caught out there…Repost (not because it’s that worthwhile, but it took long enough to type)….

Ibizatoon // Aug 12, 2015 at 4:50 PM

Blackley…If that’s all your trying to say, I think you have. On many occassions. It’s just this particular debate has stretched on a bit now. It’s getting a bit like your it’s only young fans who’ve never been to SJP comments regarding the protests. There is no rhyme of reason to the opinions, they are just that, opinions.

As for your last comment. I don’t know, after a really good result it might be possible to stretch out a little bit more.

Catchy…I never tried to make you out to be a villain. For what it’s worth, I don’t think anyone else did either. People offered a differing opinion and found yours to be far too extreme and OTT. We’ve been down this road before, you know how to throw around the odd insult yourself too. Surely it’s time to stop playing the victim?

Pardew has moved on, surely we can too.

Ian…The time you spend on here is really of no concern to me. I thought you knew that already.

I’m a little confused by your comment though. Are you saying my comment @73 was “rather barbed”, “almost tribalistic”?

If so, how so? 🙂

I was happy on the fence whilst I waited for further evidence. As you know, I hd a lot of faith in the regime for a good long while, which was made to look naive in the extreme. I just adapt to the information I have available to me.

Do tell me about this brave new world though. Is it better than this one? 🙂

• 8 Rotonda heights // Aug 12, 2015 at 4:55 PM

come on credit where it’s due. we’ve signed quality and are now playing a style which will hopefully show previous flops in a better light

• 9 hibbit // Aug 12, 2015 at 4:58 PM

my wish list for this window WILLEMS first team lb VAN DIJIK first team cb BYRAM rb cover happy to go with the rest of the squad and see were we are in january

• 10 hibbit // Aug 12, 2015 at 5:02 PM

rotona…hopeful 1/2 of the flops may come good under the new system /coaches would be nice

• 11 Ibizatoon // Aug 12, 2015 at 5:07 PM

hibbit…Aren’t the flops 1/2? Wouldn’t 1/2 of the flops be a 1/4?

What the flip flop is going on here?!?

• 12 toon kk // Aug 12, 2015 at 5:08 PM

I am not complaining mate, yeah pleased with our signings, just hope Mit keeps a calm head and doesn’t win an award for the most red cards.!!!!!
    I just don’t think we’ll get the reinforcements we require.
    There’s still a regime at the club, that won’t change.

• 13 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 12, 2015 at 5:10 PM

I’ve just come back on matey

• 14 hibbit // Aug 12, 2015 at 5:12 PM

ibizatoon ….think the sun has got to ya ……noticed ya rambling a bit today………LOL

• 15 lochinvar // Aug 12, 2015 at 5:12 PM

ED says:
    It does look like Newcastle will try to sign a full back before September 1st, and at this stage we’d be surprised if we bring in another center-back, even though we have been linked with 6ft 6ins tall Danish center-back Jannik Vestergaard of Werder Bremen.

Have we not been linked with Van Dijk then, because Southampton are now. That’s the missing link.

Wingers and LB/RB cover seem to be in abundance so just a matter of how many and when !

And the “Surprise signing ” – is that Colo ? Hope not – as he may have a sweeper role to play – but with Mwemba and Van Dijk behind him. That would be interesting – even promising

• 16 Mister Tuff // Aug 12, 2015 at 5:12 PM

Theres about 18 days left for this window -so there is time to get additional players. I don’t think anyone knows how much is left in the pot. If funds are short I do not know why Mr Tubbs could “advance” money to the club now -and then have it paid back from next years TV money.
    Otherwise we are going to be in a situation where the qualities and skills of our best players are wasted potentially for another season. I really don’t think we’ll be getting any duffers signed so a low risk of money being wasted. also the club does not spend wildly so a quick injection of cash could solve most of our positional problems.
    Some of the players we need shot of have a low or zero re-sale value.

• 17 Jib // Aug 12, 2015 at 5:14 PM

The attack on Beardsley is petty and worse , ill informed.
    His appointment as development manager in 2011 was done because of the FA’s change in rules governing academies.
    Everyone knows he is no more or less than a forward coach for the young’uns and god knows you’d be hard pushed to find anyone who knows more about forward play than Pedro.
    One example Arma knocking them in for fun at Coventry , there are many more.
    Supposed supporters having a pop at club icons without knowing the score leaves a bad taste.

• 18 toonicle // Aug 12, 2015 at 5:14 PM

Vestergaard would be fantastic, finally give us some useful height unlike Willo, and if paired with a fast ball playing CB like Mbemba we would be in a great position. LB needs work though, Willems for me would be a better buy and would fit into the team quicker considering all the dutch players now.

• 19 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 12, 2015 at 5:18 PM

I honestly think our youth system needs a shake up I don’t think Beardo is the right man for the job

• 20 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 12, 2015 at 5:20 PM

JIb and Doofa
    You should read my posts – all of them. I said at the start that I get home and watch the bits that you can’t see close up. My point is that the more information you have, from being at the match or watching tv, the better able you are to make an informed judgment. The best place to be by far to comment on a football game is at the game. Then at home on tv. All without a drink. Even better if you can combine match and tv. I don’t know why so many are sensitive about this or why Ibiza has to go into an indepth analysis of a person’s psychology over almost every poster he disagrees with.

I have some posters opinions I agree with. And I have some posters’ opinions I disagree with. Then I have some posters’ opinions, those of people who call others “knackers” at every opportunity, which I find suspect. These people, only a handful, spend more time putting people down and bigging themselves up and when they occasionally comment on football, you wonder if they’ve ever played the game.

• 21 Ibizatoon // Aug 12, 2015 at 5:34 PM

hibbit…You’ve only noticed that today? You should pay attention more 🙂

• 22 lesh // Aug 12, 2015 at 6:32 PM

Eighteen days of the window left and as the hours tick by, the prices of targets rise as the prices of those we’re trying to move out,fall.

• 23 AngusMitchell // Aug 12, 2015 at 7:19 PM

I think we should focus on getting a decent Left-Back. Willems flew in to see Winaljdum play against the Saints. I say, if he want to come, why don’t we move in and seal that one?

• 24 Sav // Aug 13, 2015 at 11:02 AM

The elementary goals conceded on Sunday need a CB who can win basic headers. A full back can’t prevent corners or frees coming in. Haidara is still learning but he’s not the real problem. 2 CBs under 6 foot tall is the problem.

previous post: Newcastle In Bid For Talented English Teenager