The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Captain Opens Up – We Want Fans To Be Proud Of The Team

9:48 pm, Thursday, August 13th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 15 Comments

Fabricio Coloccini has sent a letter out to fans by email today, and he talks at some length about why has stayed at Newcastle and how he had more than one offer to leave Tyneside for another club.

But much like in his recent interviews,  he has said he was proud that the new head coach Steve McClaren not only wanted him to stay at Newcastle,  but also wanted him to continue with the captaincy, which he was just delighted to do.

Fabricio Coloccini Newcastle vs Southampton+TU3-xyYqnWpl

Fabricio Coloccini – in action last Sunday

Colo has also said that Steve McClaren was a big reason that he wanted to stay on Tyneside.

Certainly from what Steve McClaren has said the two of them seem to see eye to eye on a number of things and after the first few days of training Steve has said you could quickly tell who one of the best players was – and that was Coloccini.

This is some of what Colo has sent out in his email:

“With a new head coach, new staff, new players, young players with ambition and new ideas, we are looking forward. It is good for the atmosphere in the changing room and we are excited to know what will happen this season.”

“The head coach was a big part of me staying here. He wanted me here to be part of the squad. The club wanted me to be a part of the ‘new’ Newcastle United that they are building. I am proud of that because I’m very happy here.”

“There has been a lot of speculation about my future in the summer but from the first time I met the club to talk, I said to them my first choice was here at Newcastle United. It’s true there were a few offers to the club.”

“I don’t speak too much with the press so maybe it confuses things and people can say things about my future.” But my future is here. I have been here seven years and I feel a part of this club and a part of this city.”

“I know there was speculation about the captaincy also. The head coach has made the choice for me to wear the armband again and it’s fantastic news for me. If he said he thinks someone else is better, that’s no problem. We have to think of the team. It is part of football.”

“But captaining the team is a very important responsibility and is very special for me. I came here to another country and didn’t know the language. Everything was new. But everyone here – and you, the fans – made me feel part of the family here and I am proud to be a part of it still.”

“Against Southampton, we did many things well as a team. We worked together against a good team and I think it was a good day for us. We want to keep going and to learn the things we need to develop and improve.”

“Now we go to Swansea looking to win. Swansea playing well is not something new. They have done that for a few seasons. It will be tough for us there but we have a lot of things in our head that we want to do this season and to achieve them, we have to get points away. We have to fight for that.”

“Every season, there are new expectations and new dreams. We know we start from zero and I hope for you, for the players and for the staff – for the whole club – that we can have a good season and can make you proud of our team.”

Steve McClaren is doing a lot of the right things at Newcastle, and one of them that is very important is the communication to the fans.

They are the life blood of the club and he knows that very well – and even though Colo tends to be the quiet type, we have a feeling we will hear from Coloccini periodically – even if it is only by email.

It’s very hard to over-communicate – especially at a club as great as Newcastle – when the fans want to know every single thing about what’s going on.

The game at Swansea is going to be very tough for us, but we hope to see an improvement from last Sunday, and one of those improvement areas is to have the team go 100% for all 90 minutes.

It should be a very good game between what looks to be two sides intent on playing good football and attacking the opposition.

You cannot ask for much more than that.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Swansea?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Note: Alex Wannop is fund raising for a local Newcastle Charity called Tiny Lives, who support the Special Care Baby Unit at the Newcastle RVI.

Alex’s son Isaac was born by emergency C-section at the hospital, and the doctors by their skill and efforts saved his son’s life.

Please see if you can help Alex in raising money by donating to his just giving page for what is a very worthwhile cause.

Tags: Captain · Coaching · Fabricio Coloccini · Newcastle News · Premier League

15 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // Aug 13, 2015 at 9:51 PM

Ashley Out!

• 2 Tsunki // Aug 13, 2015 at 9:53 PM

It began :-

Dear Toonbrother,

He must have got one of these emails ha ha I bet he snapped his tablet like a hobnob when he saw that!

• 3 JackButler // Aug 13, 2015 at 9:53 PM

Comunication from the quiet man!!!

The cynic in me…………………….ah who am I trying to kid?

• 4 Tsunki // Aug 13, 2015 at 9:56 PM

Blackley – yes we will have to disagree, because your elitist view of the ‘better fan’ owes more to the romantic notion of the hardworking man whose sole glimmer of respite from his labours is to follow his home town team around the bleachers of the country on sixpenny tickets and ten bob coach whip rounds. The ‘real world’ is actually a stratified customer base consisting in some quarters the wealthy and lonely/self satisfying supporter who pays hundreds of pounds per week or more to go to every game, enjoying the camaraderie and drinking sessions of like minded individuals, then the season ticket holder who just manages to afford the time and money to catch home games, away ones being out of the question in consideration of his ‘real world’ responsibilities ( my category until finances dictated otherwise) ; and all the way to the overseas fan who loves this club for no other reason that it is there, buys the shirts, pays the sports tv subscription, and dreams of one day seeing his team in the flesh. Every one is a ‘real fan’ and bring in a better position by birth or accident or sheer economics does not make anyone a better fan than another. The reality the supported needs the supporter, in whatever fashion it is supplied, to the best of their ability. Your nauseating notion of rank and superiority among fans is not only shoddy but divisive, which of course is anathema to the idea of a ‘United’ fan base.

• 5 Graeme // Aug 13, 2015 at 10:00 PM

For a bloke who is very rarely heard to utter a single word in English, he writes very eloquently. Or is it another memo slipped out with his name on it!!??

• 6 Tsunki // Aug 13, 2015 at 10:04 PM

Graeme after all this time he can hardly speak a word of English believe me, never mind get into grammar and composition.

Still it proves beyond doubt that the club do take on board the impact of social media and the wider blogosphere.

• 7 bettyswallocks // Aug 13, 2015 at 10:04 PM

Blackley……”…. @186 on previous thread. I think that was sincere and from the heart. I enjoyed reading it.

I think all of us on this blog have to enjoy each other’s company as fellow lovers ( not just supporters) of NUFC.
    If there is a conflict of opinion , a bit of banter that goes OTT, a bit of p..s taking or winding up of a fellow blogger that gets out of hand then so what.
    We all share the same love so as long as we don’t offend each other to the point of creating misery then let’s not get too bogged down with being over polite.

If we were all in a bar discussing all things NUFC then political correctness wouldn’t t be top of the agenda. So let’s all enjoy the new era and lighten up.

• 8 Ian Toon // Aug 13, 2015 at 10:07 PM

Tsunki- Well expressed.

• 9 Ron Knee // Aug 13, 2015 at 10:09 PM

Tsunki
    His English isn’t so bad – intermediate level, probably – but his accent is quite strong.

• 10 Jib // Aug 13, 2015 at 10:11 PM

How rude you lot are !!!
    WELCOME Mr South Africa

• 11 Tsunki // Aug 13, 2015 at 10:14 PM

Ron yeah he’s a sight better than he was four years ago, but he only got shot of his interpreter about 18 months ago, shows you the progress he hasn’t made 😐 I suppose Jonas didn’t help as he was always way better, but I’d be more convinced if he had a recent track record of speaking on camera, interviews and the like. Doesn’t have to be fluent, just sincere.

• 12 Tsunki // Aug 13, 2015 at 10:15 PM

Aye Jeff you’re right, welcome aboard the loony train South Africa!

• 13 davis_toons // Aug 14, 2015 at 7:34 AM

@3 ..”We all know he didn’t write this letter but at the same time it is nice to see an effort is being made by the club”

Your opinion does not represent us or me at lease.

• 14 davis_toons // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:08 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtSkMt56838 (2011/ 2012)

I just hope some do think that this is some kind of understandable English language. (its only some extracts thou)

Signing Off
    ToMyBelovedFans

Fabricio.

• 15 davis_toons // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:09 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBEfVM-KTjI (2015)

previous post: Poll: Can Newcastle Win At Swansea?

next post: Newcastle Losing Interest In Top Transfer Target