The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Losing Interest In Top Transfer Target

10:14 pm, Thursday, August 13th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 62 Comments

There’s only about two and a half weeks left in the summer transfer window so not much longer to go to see exactly what squad we end up with at Newcastle in September.

The Charlie Austin affair has dragged on as the soap opera of the summer, and now we hear that QPR are offering Charlie a new contract, but we wonder if he’ll be happy staying at QPR,  who may not get straight back to the Premier League this time around.

Charlie Austin +Charlton+Athletic+v+Queens+lrLNrpMl4Cxl

Charlie Austin in action last Saturday at Charlton

In fact we would be very surprised if they did get promoted next May, and just over a year ago they were lucky to beat Derby County with that last minute goal by Bobby Zamora, after they had gone down to 10 men and were being outplayed late in the game.

Newcastle were certainly keen on Charlie early in the summer, but as the weeks and even months have passed by,  and we have Aleksandar Mitrovic on board, and Papiss Cisse looks like he’s back to near his best – maybe we don’t need another striker?

That’s especially true if Steve McClaren continues to play a 4-2-3-1 formation that has only one striker up front and allows players like Wijnaldum, Sissoko and de Jong to get chances to score.

And we still have the very impressive Rolando Aarons who has shown he can both create goals and score goals.

So goal scoring doesn’t look like the extreme difficulty it was in the second half of last season.

But when you look at the betting on which club Charlie will join this summer Newcastle are still the favorites.

Whether it’s accurate or not, Newcastle could be losing a little bit of interest in wanting to pay out £15M for a 26 year-old striker.

Not when we already have Papiss Cisse, Aleksandar Mitrovic and also young Ayoze Perez, who scored some great goals for us last season, and he has to be given sufficient playing time to continue his massive improvement at the club.

So it’s looking like Newcastle are losing interest in Austin – but that could also simply be a ruse to get QPR to accept less than the £15M they are after for their top striker.

We’ll know which of the two scenarios is true come September 1st – maybe.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Swansea?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Newcastle News · Recruitment · Scouting Network · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

62 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // Aug 13, 2015 at 10:15 PM

Ashley Out!

• 2 Jib // Aug 13, 2015 at 10:15 PM

How rude you lot are !!!
    WELCOME Mr South Africa

• 3 Tsunki // Aug 13, 2015 at 10:16 PM

Leeds struggling to keep Donny at bay.

• 4 Jib // Aug 13, 2015 at 10:16 PM

A Charlie Austin article
    Blessed relief

• 5 Jib // Aug 13, 2015 at 10:18 PM

This match is going to pens
    The draw won’t be until close to midnight at this rate

• 6 Tsunki // Aug 13, 2015 at 10:20 PM

Ed tell me you didn’t just peg this one on to be the all night article!

• 7 JackButler // Aug 13, 2015 at 10:20 PM

I think Austin is a good player and would be a great addition to the squad but………………………..if anyone thinks Ashley will sanction signing a player with 12 months left on his contract for £15 million they are stark raving mad!!!

There is a very good reason why he is still at QPR

• 8 Jib // Aug 13, 2015 at 10:20 PM

Did you see Uwe Roslers comment
    “Ve Chermans alvays practice ze penalties”

• 9 welshgeordie9 // Aug 13, 2015 at 10:21 PM

Ffs, not this again, we don’t need any forwards or midfielders, replace willamson with another centre back and possibly another right back and that would be the best transfer window in years.

• 10 Jib // Aug 13, 2015 at 10:22 PM

This rain is awful for goalies this could take some time

• 11 Jib // Aug 13, 2015 at 10:24 PM

Sam Byram misses

• 12 Jib // Aug 13, 2015 at 10:26 PM

Leeds centre forward sends his into orbit Ha ha ha
    Donny are through

• 13 Belfast // Aug 13, 2015 at 10:26 PM

These Austin articles should come with free anti depressants.

• 14 Jib // Aug 13, 2015 at 10:28 PM

They do
    The best anti depressant on the market

• 15 Jib // Aug 13, 2015 at 10:29 PM

Remember NUFC are number 13 in the draw

• 16 Mister Tuff // Aug 13, 2015 at 10:33 PM

Hisss, hisssss,sssssss,sssssssss.

Ah I see Ian Toon is back on the blog.
    Ian Toon come on explain your claim that I am plotting to get Blackley banned.
    Come on explain yourself – or declare you just made it up.

• 17 welshgeordie9 // Aug 13, 2015 at 10:34 PM

Number 13 oh great, unlucky for some so that means either away to.

Man Utd
    Man City
    Or even worse

• 18 beermonkey // Aug 13, 2015 at 10:39 PM

is the draw on tv

• 19 Jib // Aug 13, 2015 at 10:41 PM

Round 2 Capital Cup Monday 24 August
    Newcastle v Northampton Town

• 20 deeps // Aug 13, 2015 at 10:42 PM

Great.. Ivan toney gonna destroy his former club

• 21 switch365 // Aug 13, 2015 at 10:42 PM

Monaco want to sign Kemen.
    Time for Charnley to offer him as part of a deal for Abdennour.

• 22 Graeme // Aug 13, 2015 at 10:43 PM

Tsunki, from previous. ANY for of communication towards the fans is fine by me – far better than it has been in years, even if it is quite false in delivery, it is better than the ZERO we used to get!!

• 23 Jib // Aug 13, 2015 at 10:44 PM

Welshie it couldn’t have happened
    The draw was seeded to keep Prem clubs a apart

• 24 jane // Aug 13, 2015 at 10:45 PM

will be interesting to see how strong the team that plays Northampton will be since we are targeting the cups.

• 25 Graeme // Aug 13, 2015 at 10:46 PM

Good news Jib – with a full squad out, we might just make it through to next round lol

• 26 Jib // Aug 13, 2015 at 10:47 PM

I don’t use Twattter but NUFC have been complimented for their improved communications through that medium eg about injured players etc.

• 27 2_goal_tino // Aug 13, 2015 at 10:47 PM

Well that couldn’t have been a much easier draw…

Really dislike having seedings in a cup competition…I know it is to try and increase the appeal of the lesser of the domestic cups by keeping the big teams in longer but it just seems ridiculous.

• 28 jane // Aug 13, 2015 at 10:48 PM

and those teams weren’t in the draw

• 29 Graeme // Aug 13, 2015 at 10:48 PM

Jib, I dont use it either, but have to admit to having an account lol

• 30 Jib // Aug 13, 2015 at 10:54 PM

I guess there will be something in young Ivan’s transfer docs that prevents him playing against NT this season.

• 31 Graeme // Aug 13, 2015 at 10:56 PM

Jib, not sure you can do that with a permanant transfer, although you can with a loan. There could well be a “Gentlemans” agreement, but where would you find one at NUFC??

• 32 2_goal_tino // Aug 13, 2015 at 11:07 PM

Right, this is my predicted lineup for the Northampton game a full two weeks early…

• 33 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 13, 2015 at 11:10 PM

Evening all,
    Nice to see my hometown go out of Cup lol, Byram and Wood’s pens were atrocious.

so we have Northampton? could be fun 🙂

• 34 bettyswallocks // Aug 13, 2015 at 11:13 PM

I haven’t seen much of Kemen but If these top clubs ARE after him he must have something. If so why have we not given him a chance.

• 35 jimmysmith // Aug 13, 2015 at 11:15 PM

“The club wanted me to be a part of the ‘new’ Newcastle United that they are building.” This is the message consistently coming out of the club, and I don’t think theres any reason not to believe them. The club has always been fairly clear about where its at. Top ten and little interest in the Cups, to now top eight and competing in the Cups. It’s not a massive leap, and not that ambitious either, for a club our size. I’m comfortable with that level of ambition, though still critical of the length of time its taken to get back there.

• 36 tooned in // Aug 13, 2015 at 11:16 PM

Can we have a ‘close’ box for Austin spam!!!

• 37 Graeme // Aug 13, 2015 at 11:23 PM

Not even “AddBlocker” gets rid of Charlie spam mate lol

• 38 Jib // Aug 13, 2015 at 11:23 PM

Kemen caught various clubs eyes playing for France U19’s which is totally removed in some aspects from the hurly burly of League footy.
    According to Bobbybee who says he’s seen him a lot , his first touch is awful.
    He’s probably getting away with stuff at junior international level that he wouldn’t in a run of the mill English club match.

• 39 Jib // Aug 13, 2015 at 11:26 PM

What ! one match into the season – your’e ‘avin a giraffe

• 40 jane // Aug 13, 2015 at 11:37 PM

Newcastle have played 7 competitive matches against Northampton, 6 league matches between 1963 and 1966 and a third round FA cup match in 1987 which they won 2-1, here is the team for that match nearly 30 years ago!

21st Jan seems late for 3rd round I guess the match was postponed due to bad weather.

Northampton were in division 4 that season.

• 41 jimmysmith // Aug 13, 2015 at 11:45 PM

“one match into the season” Its not based on that pal, as was made pretty clear in the previous post. They may fail, though they shouldn’t, its a more than achievable goal, but I believe they intend to try, for a long list of reasons, including that they’ve come out publicly and said it, they’ve never overplayed their ambitions in the past, its in the owners and SD’s interests, fan power dictates they need to, they are developing the squad and coaching staff, etc,etc.

• 42 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 14, 2015 at 12:15 AM

Your point that “The ‘real world’ is actually a stratified customer base …” That gets to the heart of what I’m saying.

Many people these days are increasingly customer minded, I accept that. Society is moving that way in general. However, most Geordies (at least I find) don’t view their support as that of customers. It’s not the zeitgeist on Tyneside in relation to NUFC IMO.

Foreign and somevgoreign based fans may be different and certainly many comments on here suggest many have a customer focused approach. Nothing wrong with that and it’s understandable. But it’s different and as such it will dictate their opinions differently.

Of course, some Geordies will choose Man Utd to support. Others will come to NUFC in the good times and drift away in the bad times. Not everyone gets the local pride aspect.

But the locals who do support NUFC do so not because they have picked their team but because it’s their home town club that represents the region they’re proud of. They can’t pick a club like many on here have. The club picks them. They have no choice. The club for them has a different, important dimension that runs deeper than success on the field and competing at the top.

There’s a large core of NUFC fans who don’t see themselves in any way as customers. Above all else, above customers, they see themselves as lifetime supporters by virtue of their birth. They love their club no matter who owns it and will support the team no matter what division they’re in or how bad they play. They can’t take their allegiances elsewhere like an ordinary customer and don’t believe they should have to.

These fans would baulk at the wish of certain customers that the club be relegated. They can’t understand how anyone would argue for that. Indeed, it is this sort of thinking that I cannot understand and that provoked my comments in the first place. I’m trying to explain my visceral feeling and that of others like me. So, whilst customers may call for boycotts, the best (IMO) supporters would scarcely contemplate it at any time, but especially not in the final games of a relegation battle.

Yes the world is changing. But don’t be too hasty in writing off a large section of the support who look at the big questions such as boycotts and the wish for relegation not from the point of view of customers, but from that of local people who are proud of the area and who love the club not for the football and any success on the field, but because, more than anything else, it represents their home town and is an expression of the pride they have in it.

• 43 Mister Tuff // Aug 14, 2015 at 12:27 AM

Blackley – I note you have not commented upon my declaration that I had nothing to do with you being banned in the past, if indeed you were banned. And that you have not commented upon the allegation that I am plotting to have you banned.

• 44 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 14, 2015 at 12:47 AM

A good post of yours on the previous thread. I enjoyed it. Probably because I agree with it.

I don’t mind banter and piss take, sarcasm and satire. But many people do mind it, even when it’s not directed at them and even when they can skip it.

Many people are much more sensitive than I am and get quite upset when there’s arguments going on. I think you’ve got to be mindful of such people because there comes a point when they get sick and tired of the bickering. I’m at the point myself with two or three posters where it’s just tedious in the extreme so I’m getting to know how others must feel.

As this is an open forum, you have to learn what the majority wants from it and to consider their enjoyment of it. If there was a little ante chamber where you could go and have it out, it’d be ideal. The trouble is I’d end up spending more time scrapping, as I have done, than talking football and reading people’s opinions and news, as I’d prefer to do.

• 45 Sliema // Aug 14, 2015 at 1:01 AM

I’m a supporter according to your own specifications and I do understand your point about the extra level of importance the club holds to us being born into it and it’s surrounding area. It’s in us and we indeed have no choice about that.

I am not a customer, however I definitely wanted the boycotts. There is no point blindly supporting our relegation battles which have been a direct result of shoddy penny pinching business tactics by a man who certainly is not a supporter.

Under most circumstances I would never boycott the club, I still travel from Malta back home a few times a year for the bigger games. But by supporting the club without protesting against MA you’re actually not supporting us at all.

The speech by the fat man at the end of the season and the subsequent transfers would not have happened if we hadn’t kicked up the fuss we did. I’ll take the plaudits and you can reminisce how you’re the only true fan around.

• 46 2_goal_tino // Aug 14, 2015 at 1:14 AM

Blackley- I had the exact same sentiments during the run-in last season in regards to not boycotting… the response from the majority on here was that I clearly wasn’t a fan from the region and that it was all well and good criticising the boycott if it didn’t influence my viewing of the games… The problem with all of that was I’ve had a season ticket since the age of 5 and was born in the RVI. My view was that for most local supporters there is nothing that will get in the way of them attending the game. Whilst I know a few people who have boycotted or not renewed their season tickets but I would say the vast majority of the fanbase who attend games are of the same thinking… “Detest the owner, support the players, love the club.”

• 47 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 14, 2015 at 1:58 AM

Tuff @43
    You’ve never asked me to comment. I have not commented, not only because I’m not interested but also because I don’t wish to get dragged into your petty arguments with other posters and then get accused by you of being vexatious. I said I would duck out earlier but have gone on to take a week’s blogspace in one day.

However, as you’re asking … I have an idea, based on one or two comments, of who has complained about me. The fact is though I’m not interested and have struggled to remember.

I don’t think I’ve merited a ban or censure at any time. I’ve not gone out to offend anyone and I don’t consider my views to be offensive. People may vehemently disagree with them; my views may may be controversial; but they’re honestly held and permissable in a free society. Satirising armchair fans, for example, in order to make a serious point is light hearted and not unreasonable.

The problem has been my constant arguments with you, arguments that stem from the way you continually deride people, not just me. I had the same problem with Ciaran, who is similar to you: deliberately aggravational and often insulting IMO.

You keep accusing Ian and JIB of all sorts. You may be right. But all I see is them being highly restrained in the face of strong provocation. I don’t know why you feel the need to deal with their opinions by continually insulting them and assassinating their characters every day. They’re just giving opinions.

I understand, according to you, they have said some strange and disparaging things about you and Jail, but there comes a time to move on. Deal with their opinions if you disagree with what they’re saying. Unfortunately, you appear to enjoy a ruck very much more than talking football. I’ve heard and forgotten the accusations that you say they’ve made. Most people will be like me and give no credence to allegations that are not supported.

Why does the blog need to run and re-run the whole doppelganger saga every day and forever more? If JIB was Jeff, he’s moved on. He’s now JIB and he’s changed. We’re all blog personae anyway. In the real world most bloggers wouldn’t dare hurl the insults they do; they’re keyboard warriors.

Why make accusations about someone when you’ve got no hard evidence? I’ve got no evidence that you’ve called for me to be banned and I don’t suspect that you have. What I do know is that your mate Expat has called me a liar without a scrap of evidence other than I told the truth but that the truth I spoke just happened to be the exact same words, according to him, of some commentator he’d heard in Australia. That means, in his world, I lied about being a season ticket holder. You couldn’t make it up.

If JIB or Ian have made spurious allegations about you, state your case two, three, four, five times and have it out. But there comes a point when you have to drop it for the sake of the blog. People will make their own judgments about whether Expat was right to call me a liar. It’s all there in black and white for everyone to see forevermore. Just like our argument over King Percy. You keep crowing about how you put me down and taught me a lesson, but it’s there for all to see if anyone was remotely interested; perhaps someone in a hundred years doing a google search for a thesis.

Best thing to do is to state your piece, let it drop and let others decide. Bring on the morning and let’s stop the rucking.

• 48 Mister Tuff // Aug 14, 2015 at 2:07 AM

Blackley – thanks you for your reply – not exactly the way I see things – but nevertheless thank you for responding.

• 49 Magpie Season // Aug 14, 2015 at 2:50 AM

Soldado gone.

How are Spurs so effectively selling all their deadwood players? We should take note from them.

I bet they could sell Mike Williamson for 10 million pounds if he was on their books.

• 50 jazzyp // Aug 14, 2015 at 5:22 AM

Good post. Can we please just stop dragging up the past and constant sniping.
    It doesn’t do the blog any favors,or your good self’s for that matter

• 51 will die for the toon army // Aug 14, 2015 at 5:36 AM

I dont think we have to change too much jst a few players. Keep Colo, Colback and Wijnaldum to start then u sub them with Mbemba, Anita and Cabella in the second half.

• 52 bobby mango // Aug 14, 2015 at 6:23 AM

Finally the penny drops. Now please no more stories about Austin

• 53 Santon03 // Aug 14, 2015 at 6:57 AM

I’ll be happy even if we get a draw vs swans, it will be a bonus if we could get a win. They are a good team, very hard to beat especially at home.
    Hopefully big improvement at LB area because it will be against Ayew. I hope to see Aarons and Perez, but I don’t know where to fit them since Obertan, Wijnaldum, Anita, Sissoko did very good job last game.
    Probably :

• 54 hibbit // Aug 14, 2015 at 7:16 AM

i said last week that our first 8 games would test most prem clubs still think 8 points from those 8 games would be a good start

• 55 firebug666 // Aug 14, 2015 at 7:29 AM

If our players settle well and start creating an understanding with each other early on then we could have a few surprise results.

As things stand at the moment; and although we do look a better team, I don’t think we will get anything from the Swans game, especially if we tire again in the last 15 – 20 minutes.

6 to 8 points from the first 8 games would be a satisfactory start, given what this team was, and what it is trying to become.

With a couple of shock results and rising confidence who know what we could achieve.

• 56 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Aug 14, 2015 at 7:30 AM

I always mark up my Sunday Sun fixture card before the season starts . I have them down to get 6 points – Draws against Southampton, Swansea and West Ham and a Win against Watford – anything extra would be a bonus.
    From after the Man City game till Boxing Day is time for the TOON to make hay

• 57 Santon03 // Aug 14, 2015 at 7:38 AM

I can’t wait for Sunderland and Palace game.
    I hope we trashed them.

• 58 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 14, 2015 at 7:45 AM

6 points out of a 24 point possible…where does that leave us after the first 8 games?

…bottom half? …close to midtable?

Either way it sounds about right; always hard to tell seeing as anything can happen it football. A win against Swans can change everything….and so can a defeat.

• 59 Jail for Ashley // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:10 AM

Excellent post.

• 60 robmefirst // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:53 AM

I’m sure QPR will want him to sign before the close of the transfer window. Otherwise they know they’ll get nothing, and he’ll know he isn’t going to the Euros.

Hope Austin can show some bravery, turn down the contract. His value should drop then to about 8 – 10 million. Then Charnley swoops in with his shaved pip, lands a massive headbutt on Uncle Les, and signs young Charlie

• 61 mactoon // Aug 14, 2015 at 11:35 AM

losing a little bit of interest ? As far as I can tell we (possibly) made one enquiry, were told the price was £15 million and haven’t made any enquiry since, that’s not much of an interest at all!

• 62 Big Archie // Aug 14, 2015 at 7:29 PM

OK – so we know we have not enquired about him. We haven’t made an offer, and QPR say they have heard nothing from us.

What about this suggests “losing” interest.

Surely – NEVER were interested would be more apt?

previous post: Captain Opens Up – We Want Fans To Be Proud Of The Team