Mike Ashley has reiterated to Steve McClaren last week, that he is continuing to take a back seat on transfers, and the owner has left it to the Newcastle Board – run by Managing Director Lee Charnley – to take the initiative on all transfers this summer.
And guess what – it seems to be working very well thank you.
Mike Ashley – on May 24 the – hands off approach from now on?
If you listen to what Mike Ashley said before our 2-0 win against West Ham, not only was he shocked that it was possible we could be relegated again – but he said he wasn’t involved in selecting the new head coach – and he would leave that to what he called the Football Board.
Shortly after we saved ourselves with that great win against the Hammers, a new Newcastle Board of Directors was announced – Lee Charnley, Bob Moncur, Graham Carr and Steve McClaren – and Mike wasn’t on it.
It seems the Board get on very well, and have done well to get three excellent players into the club this summer.
So it seems that Mike Ashley taking a back seat in football matters is working, and we’d be very surprised if he changed the low-key position he is now in at Newcastle.
Mike’s job is to give Lee Charnley the money every transfer window to spend, and then trust the money will be well spent by decisions made by the Board.
£35M has been spent so far and most fans would agree that Gini Wijnaldum, Alexander Mitrovic and Chancel Mbemba are worth the money Liverpool paid Aston Villa for Christian Benteke.
Newcastle are still in the market for a striker, a winger and another defender this month, and Steve McClaren in his press conference today said the club was still actively looking to bring players in before September 1st.
Here’s what Steve said today:
“I met the owner last week.” “He reiterated that he’s taking a back seat. Lee’s taking charge. We’re working well together.”
“He’s saying that’s my job to tell him ‘we need this, we need that to improve the squad’, and we’re communicating a lot with Chief Scout Graham Carr.”
“We’ve done that every week. We’ve been patient. We’ve got three in.” “Will there be any more? I do not know.” “Are we pursuing? Are we looking? Of course.”
“We’re always looking to improve our team and our squad. I can’t tell you anything concrete at this stage.” “As you know, things happen in the next two weeks.”
“Again, I couldn’t tell you anything where other people are.” “We have what we have. There are no inquiries. We’ve got the squad, and we’ve needed that squad in the games we’ve had.”
“We’re taking 18 or 19 to Swansea. We’re leaving a couple behind, and obviously they’re going to be disappointed. This is football. The players are being professional.”
“I think the next two weeks, as always – you say you can’t wait for it to finish and close and everybody settle down – but that’s only if you get the right players.”
“There’s still a lot of things that can happen.”
Newcastle will also have to get some players sold or at least sent out on loan so the wage bill isn’t too much – and it will be up to the Board to do that.
But the way things are working under the new Newcastle Board appears from the outside like it’s working, and we should stick with the procedures and policies now in place for transfers into and out of the club.
Football people – Bob Moncur, Steve McClaren and Graham Carr specifically – are the men making the real decisions, and that’s the way it should be.