The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Charnley’s In Charge – Owner Not Involved – Things Going Well

11:56 pm, Friday, August 14th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 55 Comments

Mike Ashley has reiterated to Steve McClaren last week, that he is continuing to take a back seat on transfers, and the owner has left it to the Newcastle Board – run by Managing Director Lee Charnley – to take the initiative on all transfers this summer.

And guess what – it seems to be working very well thank you.

Mike Ashley Sky Sports West Ham Match May 2015

Mike Ashley – on May 24 the – hands off approach from now on?

If you listen to what Mike Ashley said before our 2-0 win against West Ham, not only was he shocked that it was possible we could be relegated again – but he said he wasn’t involved in selecting the new head coach – and he would leave that to what he called the Football Board.

Shortly after we saved ourselves with that great win against the Hammers, a new Newcastle Board of Directors was announced – Lee Charnley, Bob Moncur, Graham Carr and Steve McClaren – and Mike wasn’t on it.

It seems the Board get on very well, and have done well to get three excellent players into the club this summer.

So it seems that Mike Ashley taking a back seat in football matters is working, and we’d be very surprised if he changed the low-key position he is now in at Newcastle.

Mike’s job is to give Lee Charnley the money every transfer window to spend, and then trust the money will be well spent by decisions made by the Board.

£35M has been spent so far and most fans would agree that Gini Wijnaldum, Alexander Mitrovic and Chancel Mbemba are worth the money Liverpool paid Aston Villa for Christian Benteke.

Newcastle are still in the market for a striker, a winger and another defender this month, and Steve McClaren in his press conference today said the club was still actively looking to bring players in before September 1st.

Here’s what Steve said today:

“I met the owner last week.” “He reiterated that he’s taking a back seat. Lee’s taking charge. We’re working well together.”

“He’s saying that’s my job to tell him ‘we need this, we need that to improve the squad’, and we’re communicating a lot with Chief Scout Graham Carr.”

“We’ve done that every week. We’ve been patient. We’ve got three in.” “Will there be any more? I do not know.” “Are we pursuing? Are we looking? Of course.”

“We’re always looking to improve our team and our squad. I can’t tell you anything concrete at this stage.” “As you know, things happen in the next two weeks.”

“Again, I couldn’t tell you anything where other people are.” “We have what we have. There are no inquiries. We’ve got the squad, and we’ve needed that squad in the games we’ve had.”

“We’re taking 18 or 19 to Swansea. We’re leaving a couple behind, and obviously they’re going to be disappointed. This is football. The players are being professional.”

“I think the next two weeks, as always – you say you can’t wait for it to finish and close and everybody settle down – but that’s only if you get the right players.”

“There’s still a lot of things that can happen.”

Newcastle will also have to get some players sold or at least sent out on loan so the wage bill isn’t too much – and it will be up to the Board to do that.

But the way things are working under the new Newcastle Board appears from the outside  like it’s working, and we should stick with the procedures and policies now in place for transfers into and out of the club.

Football people – Bob Moncur, Steve McClaren and Graham Carr specifically – are the men making the real decisions, and that’s the way it should be.

Tags: Newcastle News · Recruitment · Scouting Network · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

55 responses so far ↓

• 1 stan anderson // Aug 15, 2015 at 12:03 AM

BOLLOX

• 2 jimmysmith // Aug 15, 2015 at 12:04 AM

I agree. Last season was a perfect storm, that hit a decent group of players, and this group is better. I expect us to do well. Eighth and a decent run in the cups are achievable and realistic targets.

• 3 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 15, 2015 at 12:04 AM

Ibiza
    My message is simple. Please don’t anyone criticise or abuse the hard core support, the Toon Army, those who won’t boycott. They are the club. To be fair to you, I think you realised early that to do so was counter-productive.

• 4 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 15, 2015 at 12:05 AM

Jimmy
    Ever the optimist.

• 5 Belfast // Aug 15, 2015 at 12:07 AM

Blackley everytime you write a big long post Ed writes a new article hahaha

• 6 Belfast // Aug 15, 2015 at 12:12 AM

I will be looking for the 40 points first and foremost before thinking of anything else lol

The current mob finishing top 8 and McClaren deserves a medal.

• 7 NewcastleMole // Aug 15, 2015 at 12:14 AM

Lee Charnley has always been the one calling the shots since he took his position. It would be interesting to one day find out all the players which slipped though the net because he wouldn’t pay an extra few bob here n there.

To avoid another season of struggling a Centre back is a Priority signing.

• 8 stan anderson // Aug 15, 2015 at 12:16 AM

I repeat BOLLOX and you buying it.
    Shame on you all.
    Buy your tickets .
    I wont.

• 9 Belfast // Aug 15, 2015 at 12:17 AM

Think Coloccini signing a new deal means no new centre back to be honest.

Would still like to see us re-sign Enrique from Liverpool.

• 10 Charlietoon // Aug 15, 2015 at 12:21 AM

Give Aarons some game time this week

• 11 jimmysmith // Aug 15, 2015 at 12:21 AM

Ha! by nature not really. I think a considered pessimism is the more sensible world view, but there’s plenty enough of that, and worse on here, without me adding to it. I’d love it if my optimistic self were to be proved right, and I think its definitely on the cards. But really, eighth and a cup run should hardly be an outlandish hope for a club like ours.

• 12 swemag // Aug 15, 2015 at 12:29 AM

Blackley,

Good post. Also somewhat informative for us who are not in the region or from the region.

Obviously a blog like this one all users being anonymous one could expect a certain tone, or even abuse. Still, like the odd idiot at work who writes angry emails, I wonder if people on here understand how they come across.

Much like you I have little interest in measuring my black and white d**k. However, I would never compare myself to anybody who was born there, whos grandmother supports the club diehard, who went to St James’ the first time when they were 5, it is a completely different relationship.

Not sure where I am going with this, in short, good post.

• 13 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 15, 2015 at 1:02 AM

Swemag
    Thank you. I’m wearing my tin hat. I strongly suspect not everyone’s going to agree with me. It’s great to hear the scandanavian accents in the town.

• 14 Blofal // Aug 15, 2015 at 1:05 AM

I think Charnley is learning on the job. This season we appear to be heading in the right direction in terms of transfers and back room structure but I’ll reserve judgement.

It seems the club was still operating on Llambias’ “purple players” philosophy up until now. That was a complete disaster. McClaren seems to be bringing some practical football knowledge to the board.

• 15 Toon fm Exeter // Aug 15, 2015 at 1:11 AM

Do I not like that owner

• 16 Blofal // Aug 15, 2015 at 1:13 AM

Anyone else here feel that Perez’s game time might be severely limited this season??

I can see him playing in the cups but I’m a bit worried he won’t get the chance to kick on. I would prefer him out on loan than on the bench.

It appears to me that he is a third choice striker behind Cisse and Mitrovic. He is also a third choice attacking midfielder behind Gini and De Jong. And on the wing he is competing with Sissoko, Obertan, Aarons and Cabella.

• 17 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 15, 2015 at 2:42 AM

Cisse and Sissoko to leave..

Retain them and we mean biz

• 18 Our Toon // Aug 15, 2015 at 2:45 AM

3 first team signings, 4 first team departures since January. A manager who comes out and says we are working on new signings but I’m happy with the squad I have. Close your eyes forget the new faces like mcclaren etc….its the same message. McClaren talking like pardew when it comes to the squad. Talking up utter dross like Obertan.

3 1st team signings so far is the absolute bare minimum requirement and something which was coming even before Ashley spoke. Time is running out, not long until we get the new message of “the right players” bs thrown in our faces

• 19 Our Toon // Aug 15, 2015 at 2:49 AM

As for Charnley he can’t even take a shit without getting permission from MA. Is anyone daft enough to think a tea boy has so much control and responsibility and Ashley would be comfortable with it.

• 20 Derek // Aug 15, 2015 at 3:16 AM

Blofal,

I also think Perez is going to get less game time than he should which is unfortunate. I’d much prefer Perez to be playing instead of Obertan. However, I think Aarons should also be given his chance starting on the left and is better suited to playing on the left being left-footed.

I think Perez could become a great RW, but McLaren’s comment about building a team around Sissoko makes me think he locked him into starting regularly on the right. However, I’d prefer to see Sissoko sold to make room and extra funds to improve our defense. That would allow Perez (Cabella backup/sub) on RW and Aarons (Obertan backup/sub) on LW, while having either Cisse or Mitrovic as the target striker in the box.

• 21 Bobbybee // Aug 15, 2015 at 3:17 AM

B&B. I get where you’re coming from mate, and a lot of it is generational, is the conclusion I’ve reached. Our generation – I presume yours too; I’m 58 – have seen so much worse at Newcastle that this is just another day in the life of NUFC. I hasten to add, not all of our generation. Those of us who’ve travelled to crap places and stood getting piss wet through in the Gallowgate along with just 10k others, when times were rough, take serious offence to being told we ain’t proper fans. Do not question my loyalty to NUFC. I have proved it thousands of times. I don’t care who owns the club. Have any owners put in more than took out? It’s about the eleven men on the pitch, representing my club, my city, my area. Pure and simple, how it was meant to be. I was there for the club when it was at its lowest ever ebb – this ain’t it, believe me – and I’ll be there till I die. All I ask is that people respect that view, because it ain’t for changing. If I need to explain that passion, I’m wasting my breath. Others choose to boycott. I’m not even going to explain why I think it’s flawed – It’s your choice and your money, dead simple. I respect that. It doesn’t affect me, so why should I care? That’s your life, not mine. A bit of mutual respect and we can all get on.

• 22 Mister Tuff // Aug 15, 2015 at 3:54 AM

Bobbybee – I ‘ve got a slightly different twist on this subject. I first started going in 1965, been drenched, frozen etc etc. Used to go to the reserves as well. so I’ve spent plenty of time and money over the years at SJP – I chose not to go now.
    I was born in Wallsend, within sight of the Tyne – I love Newcastle and the North East and I love the club.I’ll challenge anyone -including folk on here who slag off the area.
    Over the years I’ve been to hundreds of matches. Should there be a distinction between a supporter/fan like me versus some young sprog who has lets say just started going to home and away matches over the last couple of years.
    I really do not think there should be – all fans just the same.
    I have no interest really in other clubs – I get the only one club argument, passion of the area etc – but still couldn’t care if a Toon supporter comes from Tyneside or Timbuktu still a Toon supporter/fan.

• 23 Mister Tuff // Aug 15, 2015 at 3:54 AM

at that away to the pit.

• 24 Bobbybee // Aug 15, 2015 at 4:08 AM

Mr tuff. Where, in my post, do I even mention fans from other places? Why would I care where toon fans come from? One of the most loyal fans i know is from Keighley. I don’t see the point having any relation to my post. Unless you can enlighten me further, there’s not a lot I can say

• 25 toonbrother // Aug 15, 2015 at 5:19 AM

“Season going well” after one game?
    one home draw?
    Really?

• 26 will die for the toon army // Aug 15, 2015 at 5:46 AM

We are all toon fans and supporters. I never discrimination any fan from any country we r all the same and suffer the same passion and pain.
    U find NUFC fans all over the world even in the poorest countries and he is wearing his NUFC shirt that really brought tears to my eyes wen I was in Burundi. We sat and talked and guy was so passionate and well informed for a country not well developed. If I disrespect such a man am stupid.
    Am not Geordie but jst had a trip wen I was I little boy with crazy football father to England and guess as he went to watch his beloved Arsenal back in my hotel room. I watched Nufc and on his returned and all I wtd was a shirt with Shearerz name on the back.

I have passed thru e passion and pain and I love my NUFC. Every one contributes to NUFC thru buying merchandise Pay tv Links or season tickets that is done all over e world.

I have seen and read worse than what I see now at NUFC. I might b young but I have seen worse so guys who complain are either spoilt brats or lack patience. Always give some In charge a chance. Thats wat am doing.

• 27 will die for the toon army // Aug 15, 2015 at 5:52 AM

For the season I have no confidence in the team to even make it a top 8. So to control my expectations I watch game per game. Enjoy that monent and move on.

Perez is a winger played better there. Obertan shld b given his chance.

Some bloggers here make me sick but wen u r in a family like we r here we will have to fight but have to stick together.

• 28 BandB // Aug 15, 2015 at 6:13 AM

Blacklie,

I really have no interest in who does and doesn’t think the boycotts “worked”, just as I think your sorting of fans by label….mudbloods, muggles, purebloods…is equally tiresome and silly.

On the subject of abuse, I objected to the use by one or two of the unacceptable word “scabs” to denigrate fans who continued attending. It was never about that.

Those most obsessively plugging away with the line that the boycotts and protests had no impact are of course those who were most vitriolic in opposing them at the time.

To misquote Mandy Rice Davies: “Well, they would say that, wouldn’t they?”

• 29 BandB // Aug 15, 2015 at 6:36 AM

Sorry…it’s Blackley isn’t it?
    No jibe intended.

• 30 Ian Toon // Aug 15, 2015 at 6:41 AM

@54 above – This illustrates the Dirty Tricks that I referred to earlier:-

117Ian Toon // Aug 14, 2015 at 7:37 PM

Belfast –
    I posted earlier with a 2-2 forecast. What is of concern is our defence against a very pacy Swansea. Watching the Chelsea game their front three of Montero, Gomis and Ayew caused Chelsea’s back four real problems. We missed out on Ayew – although you never really know how interested we were. Ivanovic is usually dominant but Montero caused him all sorts of problems and Gomis got behind Terry and Cahill surprisingly easily. Early season form can be misleading though. Haïdara- I have reservations about him defensively but he does have pace and along with Mbemba should combat the challenge. Post match reviews that I have read have focussed on the game being mainly won and lost on the flanks. Mainly because our goals against Southampton came from wide positions, with Obertan justifying his selection. Swansea caught Chelsea on the counterattack But they will be wary of us catching them in a similar way- Macca saw Obertan’s selection as being tactical and he could well do so tomorrow.

• 31 will die for the toon army // Aug 15, 2015 at 7:01 AM

Ian Toon
    We are both good going forward. Defensively they are also vurnarable. Williams is pass it. Taylor not that good. So I think we can also hurt them. On our good day. We really missed clear cut chances. That still worries me.
    Cisse (2) and Wijnaldum (1). Our attack is ok

• 32 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 15, 2015 at 7:05 AM

Ian,
    If Montero is on form, then he can be a handful, but one of the biggest problems for him last year was his inconsistency, let’s face it if he performed consistently he wouldn’t be at Swansea.

On last week, Obertan may have been a tactical decision, McClaren said as much, but he is equally as culpable for their first goal, if not more so then any other player.

He is the player that should have been with Soares, instead he had chased the ball and left space for Soares. This in turn pulled the rest of our defence out of position – Haidara having to push across, then Colo has to move to close the space. Everyone ends up not where they would ideally be, and Pelle punishes that. It all started with Obertan.

It is why an organiser and leader should be paramount, and far more important than the ‘beast of a centre half’ that is mentioned on here. If he is both, great, but leader and organiser is crucial.

I’d expect McClaren to start with the same lineup as last week, whether that is right or wrong, I’m not sure as I didn’t get to see the full game, just highlights and then reading what people have said and various analysis sites on the game. I’m looking forward to it today, although I think we are facing an uphill battle, they looked good last week against a poor and out of sorts Chelsea.

Keen to see how both Sissoko and Obertan do, praise came for both last week on here, so it will be interesting to see how they get on as I am not overly convinced by either in a possession based style. Janmaat was poor by all accounts, the Long goal, plus he and Sissoko had the worst two pass completions of all our outfield players last week. Pass completions doesn’t tell you everything, but if the new style is ball retention then it is a worry. I hope we see an improvement there, and I hope Sissoko can back up the hype of last week!

• 33 Ian Toon // Aug 15, 2015 at 7:09 AM

Lilongwe- interesting read. Let’s hope for a good performance and a continuation of our unbeaten run-Lol.
    Catch you later.

• 34 check the toastie // Aug 15, 2015 at 7:09 AM

Not wrong with Janmaat he’s a super player, will own Montero today. However Hagiwara could seal his fête today by getting tortured. Left hand side needs strengthening, new full back and Aarons is the way forward.

• 35 jimmysmith // Aug 15, 2015 at 7:11 AM

All fans are not the same. Ibizatoon, as an example, ernest and good bloke notwithstanding, and which he may well be, was born down south, lives in Spain, and has never been to a match at St James’. He’s got some ground to make up on a lifetime diehard fan. That’s obvious enough.

• 36 check the toastie // Aug 15, 2015 at 7:13 AM

Hate this autocorrect on here. Reckon we will be really lucky to get a draw, but you never know, set pieces are a nightmare for us currently.

Three things to see today
    Krul stuck on his line
    Collocini not winning any headers
    Cisse’s hold up play letting the whole team down

All three need sorting quickly.

• 37 nut meg // Aug 15, 2015 at 7:14 AM

Off topic but so what.
    I would just like to say well done to Spaghetti & Blackley for agreeing to meet up with Dok from the US of A. Dok will be making his first ever visit to the cathedral on the hill so lets hope one or two more can join up with them & make him welcome and to give him & his wife an experience so good it’ll remain with them forever.Make it good guys,you know you can.

• 38 check the toastie // Aug 15, 2015 at 7:14 AM

This fan discussion thing is utter drivel and very boring..

• 39 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 15, 2015 at 7:20 AM

Check,
    Yeah, Janmaat is good. He had an off day last week, but he is better offensively then defensively. It depends which Montero turns up, but it promises to be a good battle.

Haidara against Ayew will be interesting as well. Ayew will have to worry about Haidara getting forward as well. You have to expect that Ayew will get the better of that battle, but I don’t expect that alone to be the deciding factor in this match.

• 40 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 15, 2015 at 7:26 AM

Guardian says that Roma have terminated Ashley Cole’s contract. Wages would probably be a sticking point, but he would give experience and know how to a back line, which could help if bringing in a young defender to partner Chancel.

• 41 Mag52 // Aug 15, 2015 at 7:30 AM

Jimmy.

Sorry Jimmy, but in my book you can be a lifetime, die hard fan without having the good fortune to live close enough to SJP to pop in there every other week.

• 42 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 15, 2015 at 7:38 AM

The fan debate is nonsense. We all have the clubs best interest at heart, although many of us view what that is/how to achieve it differently. Whether you have been to 0, 1, 100, 1000 matches doesn’t really make much difference.

99.9% of those who come on this site do so out of a passion and love for Newcastle United. If they didn’t why would people spend their time discussing the ins and outs, having the same debates day in day out if they aren’t fans? Whether they live in, Oz, Africa, South America, mainland Europe, Walker, doesn’t really matter. We have one common bond, and I don’t understand the need or reasoning behind picking it apart to prove otherwise.

Look at Man U, and the famously labelled Prawn sandwich brigade. People who turn up for a match cause it is the new fashionable thing to do. Does it make them better fans then the ones who can’t afford the prices at Old Trafford anymore?

• 43 jimmysmith // Aug 15, 2015 at 7:44 AM

True enough, and that is a fair description of me, but fans do have different levels of loyalty, dedication and awareness, and those that are born in the region and attend through thick and thin are a breed apart I think and do have a formidable perspective. I remember watching a video last year produced by Ashley Out in support of a boycott,, and the ones that really struck a chord were those that had been going the longest, Obviously though there would be a range of views among all levels of support.

• 44 Belfast // Aug 15, 2015 at 7:44 AM

Where’s the dirty tricks in that Ian?

I’m going for a defeat myself 2-0 Swansea are a good side.

• 45 will die for the toon army // Aug 15, 2015 at 7:51 AM

Lillongwe

U are on point.

• 46 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 15, 2015 at 7:56 AM

Jimmy,
    For me I think the lines are blurred there between being a supporter of the club and a pride and passion for the region and its history. I love where I am from, and will sing its praises to anyone I meet who is willing to listen. It is the only place in the UK I would want to move back to. But whilst it may give me a deeper understanding of the roots of the club I wouldn’t hold that above a supporter from elsewhere as to why I am a better fan.

In my mind, I’m just lucky to have been fortunate to have been born in such a wonderful city and area. So I guess I’m a luckier fan, and had the fortune to live in proximity as well as having a family that as a child indulged my love of the club and sport, and when I got older, the means to continue going.

• 47 will die for the toon army // Aug 15, 2015 at 7:57 AM

43jimmysmith

They r some old supporters who were against the protests. It shows that during the boycotts still there were some fans at e stadium. So it was like 5000 to 8000 fans that were angry and ready to boycott.

We all love NUFC and If it was close to home. I will b a season ticket holder. I follow my club, I buy marchedise though the club. Am a member of the club and o do the best I can pay my money thru the Club. If that ain’t loyalty then wat is?

• 48 will die for the toon army // Aug 15, 2015 at 8:03 AM

Watching our game with Swansea at 2013/14 season at Liberty dont remember e score.

• 49 jimmysmith // Aug 15, 2015 at 8:20 AM

We are all fans certainly.

• 50 hibbit // Aug 15, 2015 at 8:33 AM

i dont get all this crap if your lucky enough to get to games great but the guys who can not get to games for what ever reason is no less a fan ….some of the older ones on here will remember the 10 min flag …10 mins to go the gates were opened as many ran in as left just to catch a glimpse …we are all fans no one has the right to say trere better we all do what we can for the club we love

• 51 BandB // Aug 15, 2015 at 8:39 AM

The aim of the “better fans” is not just “I’m a better fan than you.”
    It’s. “I’m a better fan than you and therefore my opinion is vastly superior to your opinion.”

• 52 jimmysmith // Aug 15, 2015 at 8:50 AM

Some opinions are better than others, and awareness and experience generally informs the better ones.

• 53 BandB // Aug 15, 2015 at 8:58 AM

And blinkered wishful thinking posing as wisdom informs all the worst ones.

• 54 jimmysmith // Aug 15, 2015 at 9:00 AM

horrendous liberty taken as usual

• 55 BandB // Aug 15, 2015 at 9:07 AM

Not referring to you jimmy.

You may recall this time last season many “better fans” had convinced themselves we had just purchased a top eight side at minimum.
    Some of us nasty, no nothing, don’t-go-to-games fans suggested we might actually struggle to avoid relegation.
    Rose-tinted spectacles may be fine for people who want to blow their own trumpets as alpha-supporters. But it puts no points on the board, and therefore leaves their claim that “loyalty” equates to a superior opinion rather in tatters.

previous post: He’s Newcastle’s Surprise Player Of Pre-Season