The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

He’s Newcastle’s Surprise Player Of Pre-Season

9:41 pm, Friday, August 14th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 72 Comments

Gabby Obertan signed for us four years ago from Manchester United and last summer it looked like he would leave the club – but he didn’t because he was one of the stars in pre-season and he had good season up to when he was injured against Liverpool on November 1st, and was out for some months.

And the same is happening this season, and Gabby has been on form and let’s face it – he brilliantly set up Newcastle’s second goal  – when he hit a perfect right wing cross on the run and Gini Wijnaldum headed home in magnificent style for his first ever goal for Newcastle.

gabby obertan soutmaton first game

Gabby Obertan in action on Sunday
This was  taken just before he crossed for Wijnaldum to head home

In Steve McClaren’s press conference,  the Newcastle head coach was very matter of fact but positive too, and he was asked about Gabby – and was told he has had an up and down relationship with Newcastle fans over the last four years.

Here’s how Steve answered that question:

“I don’t think it was a big call. “He had done well in pre-season and it was more tactical. We played Gabby in a wide position and he was effective there.”

“He nullified the Southampton right-back Soares, getting forward, so he did a job last week, not just defensively but in attacking, too. He created the second goal and that’s what he is capable of.”

“When I see him in training and the games in pre-season at times, he is a terrific talent – so quick and so strong, and a Premier League player.”

“So it wasn’t a big call,  it was something we had to do.”

There’s nothing we would like better than if Gabriel Obertan keeps fit and keeps his place in the Newcastle side, because if that happens he will have earned it.

There’s no doubt the 26 year-old has talent and that’s why Sir Alex Ferguson signed him for the Red Devils in 2009 from Bordeaux.

The challenge for Gabby and for Steve McClaren as his coach is for Obertan to become more consistent – and certainly it’s like a year ago all over again, with Gabby being Newcastle’s surprise player.

As we’ve said before, we’d love the Frenchman to have a great season – we are not invested  in any Newcastle player not doing well.

And the crowd were very good to Obertan on Sunday, and gave him applause when he made some good plays – they are always very fair the Geordie fans.

We want Newcastle to be successful, and we hope all our players do well this season – and then the team will do well.

That’s true for Gabriel Obertan, who’s currently a Newcastle starter – on merit.

Howay The Lads!!

Tags: Coaching · Gabriel Obertan · Georginio Wijnaldum · Newcastle News

72 responses so far ↓

• 1 JackButler // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:47 PM

Don’t think he’s a surprise so far as he’s always been capable of having two or three decent games, what would be a surprise is if he was able to perform for an entire season

• 2 WWSBRD // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:49 PM

JB
    From the previous thread

Big name and was available plus is quite a short term manager but really I dont see how Moyes was any worse over all. As for winning the league oh no I am team Jose all the way

• 3 WWSBRD // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:50 PM

As for this Obertan is starting again then

• 4 dok - the horrid colonial // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:50 PM

spaghetti,

ive made plans to come over for 19 march, gotta go to the derby….

• 5 toonicle // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:51 PM

JB- Exactly. He’s got the pace and strength to be exactly what we need on the right, just needs to finally bring some consistency to his game. That RW spot is his for the taking if he can string a couple good games together.

• 6 davis_toons // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:53 PM

Great Video..nice analysis.
    (repost)

• 7 Jib // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:54 PM

Dok you going to Ireland for St Paddy’s ?
    Dublin is mad

• 8 JackButler // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:54 PM

WWSBRD

I no fan of Jose mate, he’s the media’s sweetheart and gets away with murder with some of his outlandish comments, comments that any other manager would be slaughtered for, plus the way his players conduct themselves on the pitch is simply wrong.

I hope Wenger wins the league, always loved how his sides play the game and the way he’s determind to use the youth set up before transfer market is very, very rare these days

• 9 will die for the toon army // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:55 PM

I always knew or thought my team was a top 8 team and cld punch above its weight with the top 5 but last season gave me the shock of my life.

Now I watch all games so scared thinking that we r going to lose. I feel like am supporting a bottom 3 team. Cant b able to win a game. F@ck u Pardew and Carver for ruining my club.

• 10 JackButler // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:56 PM

toonicle

Sissoko has the right side locked down imo, Obertan is fighting it out with Aarons for a place in the team

• 11 toon kk // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:57 PM

People call Obertan, we know he’s not the most technically gifted player but he has something we need and that’s pace.

• 12 spaghetti bandit // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:58 PM

Dok
    The voodoo will hopefully stop at 5 with us beating them in October then again in March,, what a game,, you will be blown away,, I’ve only ever been to 2 derby’s,, the 3-2 at home with emres free kick and th unbelievable 5-1 on Halloween on a Sunday,, best games I’ve ever been,, th 5-1 though something else,, work was a killer on th Monday,, West Ham away Xmas 2005 owens hattrick probably my third..

• 13 Ashton // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:59 PM

You are all idiots.

Obertan must start on the RW on Saturday. He would be imperative for us tactically ie stopping Swansea’s best and most dangerous player; Montero.

Obertan is very decent for these sort of situations and we used him against Bale with good success as well few years ago. His primary job against Swansea must be; mitigating Montero.

Most of you are very ignorant when it comes to tactics. Obertan is a great weapon for us. He is a crucial outlet and was one of our best players last week.

But like I said already, you are all really really stupid.

• 14 Sir Eric // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:59 PM

Surprise player of the season?

Howay man we’ve only gone and played one match!

• 15 Jib // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:59 PM

My neighbours lurcher has pace but like Obertan has no idea what footy is.

• 16 colwell // Aug 14, 2015 at 10:00 PM

Obertan is pretty quick he’s not what you would call rapid though. The RB that Saints brought on last week caught him up enough times. Aarons is the better option same speed (maybe quicker) but has a much better delivery and scores more he can do the same job better???

• 17 juan // Aug 14, 2015 at 10:00 PM

cracking headline “NEWCASTLES PLAYER OF THE SEASON” i must have watched a different game on sunday .. the only thing he done was cross the ball for the goal.. the rest of the game he was his usual self…

• 18 will die for the toon army // Aug 14, 2015 at 10:00 PM

Man City Chelski and Arsenal have a team that has played together for two years or more.

Liverpool and Manure are jst building one. Spurs good players no consistence.

• 19 Jail for Ashley // Aug 14, 2015 at 10:00 PM

wdft
    I will say it again without caring who I upset, what level of stupidity do you possess to think that it was Alan Pardew and his assistant that were responsible for the mess our club has been in for the last eight years !

• 20 Jib // Aug 14, 2015 at 10:01 PM

Ashton
    really really
    or
    really really really

• 21 WWSBRD // Aug 14, 2015 at 10:02 PM

JB
    Oh no I adore Jose, best manager in the world for me. Not sure what u mean by how his lads conduct themselves on the pitch though? As for the media though I think he has them wrapped around his little finger and he knows exactly how everything will play out with them

In a fair world Wenger would win the league but its not a fair world and I dont think Arsenal will win the league under Wenger again…I think he holds the club back because of how much power he has there and he doesnt want to evolve with football. Fantastic manager no doubt but football is moving on and he isnt

• 22 spaghetti bandit // Aug 14, 2015 at 10:02 PM

I was also at the 5-0 v man utd but was jus abit to young too remember it properly,, pretty gutted bowt tht unless tht would have too be top 3

• 23 WWSBRD // Aug 14, 2015 at 10:04 PM

Ashton
    How to make friends and influence people eh

• 24 Llort muw // Aug 14, 2015 at 10:05 PM

Don’t worry WWSBRD, I’m no troll. The name was a joke because I’m not creative. Why’d you think it has taken me so long to start posting? I didn’t know what to put. Lol. 🙂

• 25 will die for the toon army // Aug 14, 2015 at 10:06 PM

Jail

We had the players that cld make us at least a top 10 side that plays with Enthusiasm. That is Pardew’s job not Ashely’s.

I cant compete the players we had to those of Swansea or Stoke. On paper our players were better and had either come as prospects or cup winners.

• 26 AndyMac // Aug 14, 2015 at 10:08 PM

“what would be a surprise is if he was able to perform for an entire season”

or maybe two games on the trot ?

7 assists and 3 goals in four years isnt PL standard

• 27 WWSBRD // Aug 14, 2015 at 10:09 PM

Llort
    Didnt know what to put? Howay that’s easy there’s only 2 things u can put on here 1. Ashley in! or 2. Ashley out!

The 3rd Ashley shake it all about is so rare I no longer consider it an option

• 28 2_goal_tino // Aug 14, 2015 at 10:09 PM

This article is nothing more than shameless clickbait!!!

• 29 switch365 // Aug 14, 2015 at 10:13 PM

Obertan is great … when he doesn’t think!

When he tries to think about things, he loses the ball or leaves it behind and inevitably ends up lunging in to get it back.
    He has extremely good pace, in an ideal world he’ll work on nothing but running with the ball at top speed and crossing, in training.

With Gini and Mitro footage showing them eating up crosses all day long, getting Squidward to bang in crosses a dozen times per game is just the ticket.

• 30 Llort muw // Aug 14, 2015 at 10:13 PM

AndyMac

Not a truer word was said that day.

• 31 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 14, 2015 at 10:13 PM

Ashton
    LMAO. Love your style.

• 32 Llort muw // Aug 14, 2015 at 10:14 PM

WWSBRD

Lol, would I get slated if I said which group I belong in? :/

• 33 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 14, 2015 at 10:15 PM

Hibbit
    See Makro’s comments above. Not quite quantum physics but it’s an explanation of sorts.

• 34 check the toastie // Aug 14, 2015 at 10:17 PM

Was at game last week and Obertan did canny, worked hard and once tiote sissoko and de Jong decided running was beyond them in the last twenty minutes he was our only hope with Haidara of getting the ball up the pitch. Some proper divs who hate players who give a lot on here.

Tiote and McLaren for putting him on the pitch are to blame for us folding last week.

• 35 WWSBRD // Aug 14, 2015 at 10:18 PM

Llort
    Probably but thats half the fun, so come on out of the closet u come!

• 36 SUTTY1978 // Aug 14, 2015 at 10:21 PM

McLaren talks nearly as much guff as Pardew. In what way did he nullify their right back? Apart from the cross he was woeful both going forward and defending. Aarons would have torn up that left hand side. How he can prefer obertans experience over Aarons undeniable quality is a mystery.
    He’ll do the same to Aarons as he did to Will Hughes, turned him from a £10m player into a championship chugger

• 37 Mister Tuff // Aug 14, 2015 at 10:22 PM

After Wallys words of praise there seems to be quite a few jumping on the “Obertans a good player bandwagon”.
    Don’t see it myself – does Wally really mean it?
    Stil vivid in my mind was when there was that carry on about Sterling moving from Liverpool. The news channels used a clip of him scoring against us to illustrate their stories. Included was Obertron jogging back and half heartedly poking a foot in – quiet embarassing really – and then Sterling scored immediately afterwards.
    I doubt he does anything like the defensive job that is suggested. Poor poor player whose days must be numbered.

• 38 dok - the horrid colonial // Aug 14, 2015 at 10:23 PM

spaghetti,

plan on a pint with me and the wife then 🙂

• 39 Llort muw // Aug 14, 2015 at 10:23 PM

WWSBRD

Ok, I’m in the Ashley out group. Not done enough in 8 years for 1 good transfer window to discredit that.

• 40 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 14, 2015 at 10:28 PM

Spanish super cup 66 mins played

Althetic Bilbao 4 Barca 0

• 41 jimmysmith // Aug 14, 2015 at 10:29 PM

Players can only be judged fairly after a run of games. Obertan did well when we finished fifth, and did well when he played consistently last season until injured. When he’s played occasionally, or off the bench, he’s struggled to impress, which is a problem for all players who are trying to break into a side. He’s awkward looking, mechanical, more an athlete than a footballer, which makes him harder to admire, but still has real abilities, most notably pace, which is the hardest thing to defend against.

• 42 Jail for Ashley // Aug 14, 2015 at 10:29 PM

wdft,
    This argument has gone on far too long and has been proved and admitted by those running the club. Ashley and his cronies hired and continued to hire Pardew and he’d still be here if he hadn’t of walked.

• 43 dok - the horrid colonial // Aug 14, 2015 at 10:29 PM

blacklie,

id also like to buy you a pint before my 1st match, as a gesture of good will, and hear your take as well…

honestly, not being sarcastic…

• 44 spaghetti bandit // Aug 14, 2015 at 10:32 PM

Dok,,
    Definitely could meet you in the town for sure..hopefully after a big win..

• 45 WWSBRD // Aug 14, 2015 at 10:35 PM

Llort
    Well we are in the same camp then bud

• 46 Belfast // Aug 14, 2015 at 10:36 PM

Jail for Ashley
    August 14, 2015
    Belfast,
    What is your opinion on contemporary art and the disposable wealth of the nouveau rich.

Can I phone a friend?

• 47 Jib // Aug 14, 2015 at 10:37 PM

Got to love this

• 48 dok - the horrid colonial // Aug 14, 2015 at 10:37 PM

spaghetti,

you tell me what pub and ill be there… I know we are staying close to SJP, told the wife I wanna see it from the hotel window… shell get lucky that nite haha

• 49 Llort muw // Aug 14, 2015 at 10:37 PM

WWSBRD

Phew, first person entering conversation with me and I thought I had already blown it lol. Glad we share the same views!!

• 50 dok - the horrid colonial // Aug 14, 2015 at 10:38 PM

well glad I don’t need to worry about Belfast calling me then 🙂

• 51 spaghetti bandit // Aug 14, 2015 at 10:42 PM

Take a chancel
    Turned over at half time seen your post n realised I’d missed 3 goals,, same as other nite went to bed 4-1 up thinking they’d walked th super cup,, also only game Ive ever left early and I had a season ticket for 2 yrs roeder allerdyce (Sheffieldutd caned us) era was arsenal 4 all wasn’t even half time a left was on around 60 mins got into shearers bar jus about in time for Bartons first pen ha

• 52 WWSBRD // Aug 14, 2015 at 10:44 PM

Llort
    Haha am the sort that will talk to anyone bud regardless of opinions, its more how they are that put me off rather than there opinions

• 53 Jib // Aug 14, 2015 at 10:45 PM

SUTTY1978
    You need to pause for a sec or two and think.
    Steve can hardly come out and say —
    “As well as being the ugliest tw@t I’ve ever laid eyes on , he cannot play for toffee”

He’s trying to get some spon for him ffs !!!

• 54 Jail for Ashley // Aug 14, 2015 at 10:45 PM

Creepy Toon // Aug 14, 2015 at 7:37 PM

Belfast –
    I posted earlier with a 2-2 forecast. What is of concern is our defence against a very pacy Swansea. Watching the Chelsea game their front three of Montero, Gomis and Ayew caused Chelsea’s back four real problems. We missed out on Ayew – although you never really know how interested we were. Ivanovic is usually dominant but Montero caused him all sorts of problems and Gomis got behind Terry and Cahill surprisingly easily. Early season form can be misleading though. Haïdara- I have reservations about him defensively but he does have pace and along with Mbemba should combat the challenge. Post match reviews that I have read have focussed on the game being mainly won and lost on the flanks. Mainly because our goals against Southampton came from wide positions, with Obertan justifying his selection. Swansea caught Chelsea on the counterattack But they will be wary of us catching them in a similar way- Macca saw Obertan’s selection as being tactical and he could well do tomorrow.

You must have definitely phoned a friend for that one !

• 55 spaghetti bandit // Aug 14, 2015 at 10:48 PM

Dok
    Am off to kip mate got early start for graft in the morning but al deffo keep in touch over here n what have you n if ya but don’t worry they’res plenty drinking establishments to choose from..

• 56 jane // Aug 14, 2015 at 10:51 PM

“What is your opinion on ….the disposable wealth of the nouveau rich”

is this a reference to Mike Ashley? that explains a lot.

• 57 LGFUAD21 // Aug 14, 2015 at 10:58 PM

I think obertan was our second best player on the pitch against soton.

He’ll put in a motm

• 58 Noel Worst // Aug 14, 2015 at 11:01 PM

Just done a little fact checking out of curiosity and to potentially bust the Obertan is worst footballer to ever step foot on a pitch myth, which is a frequent bleat of the herd on here.

3,251 mins played
    36 games
    8 assists – 1 every 406 mins
    3 goals – 1 every 1,083 mins

So, in total since he has been here he hasn’t even played a full league season worth of matches and has 8 assists and 4 goals.

Sissoko:

7,768 mins played
    86 matches
    11 goals – 1 every 706 mins
    11 assists – 1 every 706 mins

As I’ve said, think Obertan suffers from reverse Halo Effect, an easy target for ridicule. Not saying he’s been great for us, but he isn’t terrible and maybe just maybe McClaren and Black can bring out the best in him consistently.

• 59 jane // Aug 14, 2015 at 11:05 PM

nice work Noel if Obertan was cool he would be loved.

• 60 Jib // Aug 14, 2015 at 11:09 PM

Noel Worst
    He is god awful.

• 61 jane // Aug 14, 2015 at 11:09 PM

wonder who our best CBs are based on goals conceded per minutes on the pitch. might be interesting.

• 62 jane // Aug 14, 2015 at 11:14 PM

“He is god awful.”

who cares if he is lucky

• 63 Jib // Aug 14, 2015 at 11:18 PM

Welcome to the bleating herd – Jane

• 64 jane // Aug 14, 2015 at 11:23 PM

“you are very ignorant when it comes to tactics” 🙂

• 65 jane // Aug 14, 2015 at 11:38 PM

Cisse scored both goals in the 2-2 draw at Swansea last season with assists from Obertan and Sammy Ameobi.

• 66 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 14, 2015 at 11:43 PM

Ibiza, you say,

“Forget everything else for just one second. Just concentrate on locals, those who shouldn’t be told what to do. Even those very fans didn’t agree on the issue. It has nothing to do with overseas fans, or fans who have never been to SJP. It’s never been the issue, yet you insist on trying to make it so.”

Some locals here support Man Utd and other teams. They don’t get the local pride thing. Some locals love the club and follow its fortunes avidly but rarely, if ever, go to a game; my dear aunty for one.
    And some locals support the club but dip in and out. Of course, there are some locals who want Ashley out so badly, they will support boycotts. Most fans respect their views. I do. It’s their choice.

But the majority, as has been demonstrated by the figures (even BandB’s figures), did not and will not support boycotts. Why? Because many locals have such a pride in the black and white shirt representing their home town, that results on the field and “TV success” come secondary. If it wasn’t for these fans over the years there wouldn’t even be a club.

I seriously doubt that most foreign fans actually appreciate this mindset. I’m not sure how they would. They are solely concerned with the team that they love doing well and for them the priority is success on the field.

At the end of the day, they “chose” to support NUFC. Like the Catalans and Barca, many of the locals here feel NUFC is a proud birthright. Foreign fans havevtheir own birthrights and the things they’re proud of.

I’ve no doubt that some of them who have chosen the club to support would be gutted to see its demise, but do they have as much at stake? They certainly don’t have the local pride aspect, which is the primary motivation of many of the locals. It’s what makes the club such a special club. It’s not unique. There are other clubs like it across the world but it’s by no means commonplace.

Certainly, I don’t hear in the real world any locals abusing die hard NUFC supporters for choosing to follow the club no matter who is the owner. In fact, for the core supporters, following the team has always been at the heart of the club and has always been considered more important than who owns it or what success it has achieved. The locals, even those who support boycotts, understand that and in my experience respect it. Only on here have I come across fans criticising those hard core supporters with such invective, calling them “idiots” and worse for giving Ashley money.

Certain foreign based fans are one step removed and just don’t get it. How could they? I thought this even before I knew that you, one of the main organisers, had never even been to SJP. Of course, Geordies welcome foreign support. But everyone needs to be careful that wherever they go in the world, they don’t offend the local culture because they are ignorant of it.

This also goes to explain why I say those fans who support the club home and away are better fans than I will ever be. It is more their club than mine. This has got nothing to do with superior fan rankings. I’m not bothered about comparing the size of my black and white dick. It’s about the heart and soul of the club. Something that many fans on here rightly accuse Mike Ashley of not having a clue about.

• 67 jane // Aug 14, 2015 at 11:46 PM

the starting line up in the match at Swansea last season included
    Mike Williamson
    Paul Dummett
    Gabriel Obertan
    Cheik Tiote
    Yoan Gouffran

and the subs that came on included Emmanuel Riviere and Sammy Ameobi.

imagine if McClaren played these tomorrow there would be uproar.

• 68 jimmysmith // Aug 14, 2015 at 11:50 PM

Another possibility in trying to understand the apparent mystery of why
    Obertan might be prefered to more obviously appealing others like Perez, Aarons and Cabella, is perhaps experience and also willingness and capacity to play to instruction, which is very difficult to gauge as a casual observer. Aarons and Cabella are more maverick, and come into their own in the final third, Perez appears a genuinely better all-round player, but with far less experience in and around this league and is physically far less imposing. It might just be that Obertan is better overall at doing the job he’s tactically been given.

• 69 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 14, 2015 at 11:52 PM

Dok @43
    Yes for sure. Please let me know when you’re in town.

It might not seem like it when I get picked up wrong, but I do love foreign based fans.

• 70 Charlietoon // Aug 14, 2015 at 11:57 PM

For his assist I actually thought here we go again Obertan crossing into an empty box and the Gini came storming in. I hope he does not stop Aarons starting though.

• 71 jane // Aug 15, 2015 at 12:00 AM

Blackley and Brownlie I don’t know how much difference it makes if you live local or far away I just think some people have a very strong personal dislike of Mike Ashley so much so that it colours their whole view. I think when a person gets to that stage it is very difficult for them to change their view. I think it is better for themselves and others for people like that to walk away than continually be negative. and then come back when a new owner they like takes over! simples!

• 72 Ian Toon // Aug 15, 2015 at 6:38 AM

@54 above – This illustrates the Dirty Tricks that I referred to earlier:-

117Ian Toon // Aug 14, 2015 at 7:37 PM

Belfast –
    I posted earlier with a 2-2 forecast. What is of concern is our defence against a very pacy Swansea. Watching the Chelsea game their front three of Montero, Gomis and Ayew caused Chelsea’s back four real problems. We missed out on Ayew – although you never really know how interested we were. Ivanovic is usually dominant but Montero caused him all sorts of problems and Gomis got behind Terry and Cahill surprisingly easily. Early season form can be misleading though. Haïdara- I have reservations about him defensively but he does have pace and along with Mbemba should combat the challenge. Post match reviews that I have read have focussed on the game being mainly won and lost on the flanks. Mainly because our goals against Southampton came from wide positions, with Obertan justifying his selection. Swansea caught Chelsea on the counterattack But they will be wary of us catching them in a similar way- Macca saw Obertan’s selection as being tactical and he could well do so tomorrow.

previous post: Is This Newcastle’s Best Team For Swansea?

next post: Charnley’s In Charge – Owner Not Involved – Things Going Well