Is This Newcastle’s Best Team For Swansea?

We would be very surprised if Steve McClaren doesn’t start the same team tomorrow that started against Southampton that did quite well last Sunday until the last 15 minutes when we seemed to tire, and also didn’t help ourselves  by giving the ball away too much.

Those are two areas Steve McClaren will be looking for an improvement in tomorrow at the Liberty Stadium.

Vurnon Anita +Newcastle+United+v+West+Ham+United+TIcUk_tsl3Yl

Vurnon Anita – in action last Sunday

Players pushing for a start include Aleksandar Mitrovic, Siem de Jong and Rolando Aarons, but the team last week played well and will be given another chance tomorrow.

This is what we think the team will be in a 4-2-3-1 formation:

Krul
Janmaat Coloccini (c) Mbemba Haidara
Colback Anita
Sissoko Wijnaldum Obertan
Cisse
Subs: Darlow Taylor Tiote de Jong Aarons Mitrovic Perez

That’s assuming Anita is fit again and he’s been in training since Wednesday so he should be OK.

If we bring in another striker before September, wonder if MccLren will switch to a 4-4-2 formation?

What would your team be for tomorrow?

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Swansea?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 14, 2015 at 4:13 PM

I always cringe when I hear our manager odder the words “I am happy with what I’ve got” ?

• TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa

Aug 14, 2015 at 4:14 PM

the answer is NO

this looks like another 2-2 tie. Haidara is a liability no defense. Really hope perez, SDJ or arrons start over ober. WOuld love to see colt 45 instead of cisse. He goes silent for most of the game. His goal was the first time he touched the ball and he WAS very lucky to get that oppurtunity

• dneville

Aug 14, 2015 at 4:16 PM

Krul
    Janmaat Coloccini (c) Mbemba Haidara
    Colback Anita
    Sissoko SDJ Wijnaldum
    Cisse
    Subs: Darlow Taylor Tiote Obertan Aarons Mitrovic Perez

• wynsleap

Aug 14, 2015 at 4:25 PM

That’s quite a bench you’ve got there Ed.
    Would have Aarons and Mitrovich in the team though.
    We still look short of a bit of wing class like Thauvin, Konoplyanka or Janusaj and certainly need a dominating tall, aggressive central defender who can consistently clear high balls coming into the box.
    Hope we don’t have to wait until NEXT summers window however.

• DaraghL

Aug 14, 2015 at 4:27 PM

Is the fighting over? Can I come out now?

Somebody stated on the last post that Pelle’s goal was a good goal and would not have been defended against most teams. To be honest I would agree with this. Shane is also great for his leap and getting a head on goal…did it against England 😉

The fact that both goals were headers immediately leads to the height question. I think the real reason for the first goal was communication. Colo and Mbemba had never played together before, Colo was attracted to the ball and should have been called back by Mbemba. Mbemba was then caught in two minds between Pelle and Rodriguez coming in late. Again this is Janmaat who should give him the call.

That sort of situation is easily resolved and the more you play with somebody the more natural it gets. I think they just need time. Hopefully should see an improvement this week.

• colwell

Aug 14, 2015 at 4:28 PM

Mitrovic needs to start this one, we need his presence in the box at both ends. He came on last week when we had started to play poor so had nothing to feed on.

• colwell

Aug 14, 2015 at 4:31 PM

The height thing is a problem at Cb, Gomis won a lot against Terry and Cahill last week who are both stronger in the air then Colo and Mbemba. Guarantee Swansea will score a header tomorrow.

• DaraghL

Aug 14, 2015 at 4:32 PM

I would go wtih the same 11 if fit. Think we should use Aarons as an impact player for now.

Depending on how the game is going I would like to see Aarons, Perez and Mitrovic get some game time second half.

• toon kk

Aug 14, 2015 at 4:37 PM

Mitrovic will be one to watch, he needs to keep a cool head or he’ll be collecting a record for the most cards picked up in one season. Maybe Tiote could give him some advice! !!!

• Kebabacus

Aug 14, 2015 at 4:41 PM

——————–Krul

—-Yan – Steve – LaBamba – Anita

——————–Colo

Ssssoko – Winny – DeJong – Aarons

——————–Cisse

Great bench, no Willo or Goof, pack the midfield and whack Mitrovic on around 60 minutes to scare the crops out of them. Toon win 3-2.

• Bobbybee

Aug 14, 2015 at 4:45 PM

Well, I’ve gone for another 2-2 on my super6, which may well be a recurring scoreline for us this season. We have goals in us, both on the pitch and from the bench, but we also have defensive problems. I know a lot won’t agree, but I would play Willo ahead of Collo until we find another tall centre back. In games when we’ve played against Carroll for example, Willo has never let him score if I’m not mistaken? Tomorrow it’s Gomis, we need somebody to match his height and to jump with him at least. After watching Collo last week, I can’t see Willo doing any worse – which says more about Collo than Willo really. Horses for courses. Mbemba can cover any speed threat through the middle, but with both goals last week coming from headers, like it or not – and I’m not exactly ecstatic about it – Willo offers better ariel cover.

• Mister Tuff

Aug 14, 2015 at 4:49 PM

I’ll be surprised if Mitrovich starts and would expect him to come on later to grab a goal. If he does start Wally will have to be 100% satisfied that he isn’t going to do something daft and get sent off. Potential good battle with Ashley Williams and possible flashpoint.

• toonicle

Aug 14, 2015 at 4:51 PM

Drop Anita for Sissoko, Obertan is no good on the left so move him back to the right and bring Aarons in. Haidara is going to get killed by Ayew tomorrow

• martoon

Aug 14, 2015 at 4:53 PM

Is it safe to come out now, has the bitch fest finished?
    On topic I’m hoping Swansea won’t play as well as last week and underestimate us. You have to say a draw would be a decent result.

• Bobbybee

Aug 14, 2015 at 4:55 PM

Martoon, what have I missed?

• martoon

Aug 14, 2015 at 4:57 PM

Toonicle – hopefully our coaches will have watched their game last week and been practicing doubling up on their wingers etc. to try and nullify that threat – I say hopefully 🙂

• IrishMagpie

Aug 14, 2015 at 5:01 PM

I have us down for a draw in this one and I think it would be a really good result. I don’t see any changes being made to the lineup unless Anita isn’t fully recovered. Why change anything after a positive result last week?

Obertan got an assist and that’s what he’s there to do so it makes no sense to drop him, it sends out a bad message to the squad. If you do what you’re supposed to, you keep your place. People need to realise this is not fantasy football and most managers don’t chop and change every week.

• martoon

Aug 14, 2015 at 5:01 PM

Bobbybee a lot of handbag throwing between Tuff, expat and Iantoon, b & b. They’re going to meet up to look at b & b’s season ticket and kiss and make up 🙂

• sparky55

Aug 14, 2015 at 5:03 PM

Same 11 eh?

Not sure myself…IMO the only two positions with any flexibility in them is Obertan and Cisse…the rest pretty much pick themselves unless he changes the set-up

McClaren has openly stated Obertan was only in the team to stop Coates from storming forward. The interesting thing about Obertan is his perceived threat…not his actual ability. Because he’s so quick defenders don’t like to go past him because once they’re out of position and Obertan gets in behind the lines he is classed as a threat even though his end product 9 times out 10 is absolutely pants.

Coates was brought off at half time and the game was then dead on Obertans wing because he posed no threat whatsoever…APART FROM HIS ONE CROSS LEADING TO OUR 2ND GOAL!!!!

My problem with Obertan is he has no confidence…he doesn’t show himself and doesn’t demand the ball…he almost reluctantly accepts thinking “why have you given it to me.”

He’s only happy running past people but as soon as he has to cross the ball doubt springs to mind and cuts back inside or checks and passes back…it’s a real shame but he’s just got no confidence unlike Gillespie who would run and cross all day long.

I don’y think Swansea play with a marauding full back so I think Obertans influence on the game will be reduced so possibly Aarons or SDJ out there.

I don’t think Mitrovic will start but Cisse starting at this stage of the season serves two purposes…

1.) He’s in the shop Window to be sold in this transfer window

2.) Mitrovic is not match fit yet

I think Mitrovic and Perez and Armour and Rivi are enough cover for the front position TBH…I don’t think Cisse is worth keeping now. I think we’d get 6-7 million for him and get 60k a week off the wages so I think he’ll go

I don’t think Tiote will want to stay after 3 games of not starting either.

• jazzyp

Aug 14, 2015 at 5:05 PM

Martoon

Hope your not trying to stir things up again….hehehe

• martoon

Aug 14, 2015 at 5:13 PM

Jazzyp – not at all just giving a succinct summary for Bobby.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Aug 14, 2015 at 5:17 PM

Shearer and DraghL
    I said after the game that the Pelle goal would beat the best defenders. However, it is worrying to see your captain go AWOL. You’re right. I said that too when people were blaming Mbemba.

Colo drifts towards the ball and leaves his man. Mbemba then gets caught in two minds for a split second.

Yes communication by Mbemba would have helped. Something like “Hoy curly locks. Where the f*** do you think you’re going now, you useless tw@t”.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Aug 14, 2015 at 5:23 PM

I urged everyone to watch Colo for that first goal again. Certainly, every budding centre back should. Why? Because it shows exactly what not to do. The cross would have ended up on the far side if there wasn’t a player in the middle to redirect it. It could just as easily have reached Colo’s man and ended in the net without the need for an outstanding leap. Typical Colo. AWOL.

• Rotonda heights

Aug 14, 2015 at 5:24 PM

toonicle

by all means drop obertan for aarons or perez, but why on earth drop anita, he’s going to be crucial for us this season playing in his proper position. we stunk when anita went off for tiote.

• Jib

Aug 14, 2015 at 5:26 PM

• Rotonda heights

Aug 14, 2015 at 5:27 PM

sm and co have done a lot of good things but keeping colo will only work if he’s played a s a sweeper in a back 3 with wing backs, ie behind a tall CB..? and a fast CB (MBemba)

• Blackley and Brownlie

Aug 14, 2015 at 5:27 PM

Obertan had a decent game. He does sometimes. Other times he’s poor and frustrating. Perhaps Makro and Costco can get the best out of him consistently.

• Bobbybee

Aug 14, 2015 at 5:28 PM

Martoon, I’ve just been back a couple of pages, see what ya mean. 🙂 Gonna be a tough match tomorrow marra, I’ve gone 2-2 again, but would love to be proven wrong – in our favour! I’d seriously play Willo tomorrow, just to offer some height at the back. Gomis is a big booger and needs somebody as tall marking him. Not that I rate Willo – god forbid – but we look wide open once the crosses are allowed to come in. Mbemba can jump, but he’ll need a step ladder against Gomis and Collo just looked awful last week. What say you?

• Thump

Aug 14, 2015 at 5:29 PM

“Obertan”

Definitely not.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Aug 14, 2015 at 5:30 PM

Anita is becoming the new darling on here. Not many had a good word for him last season.

• Ibizatoon

Aug 14, 2015 at 5:30 PM

Rotonda…One on my hopes for this season is that it’ll finally be clear to most what a, not only tidy player, but important player Anita is /could be for the team.

When he’s had runs in the past he’s been really good. Often picking up MOTM awards in the process, but shortly after is forgotten, as it’s the small things he does.

Big season ahead for the little man.

Blackley…”“Hoy curly locks. Where the f*** do you think you’re going now, you useless tw@t” Certainly gave me a smile. From what I understand he speaks next to no English, but that phrase should certainly be high on the priority list to learn.

• JackButler

Aug 14, 2015 at 5:32 PM

Don’t see any reason to change the side that started last week but I’d love to see Aarons figure at some point – gonna be a tough game that’s for sure

• will die for the toon army

Aug 14, 2015 at 5:36 PM

Our Archilles heel is our team doctor or medical staff if he does his work we will b ok. Our squad is good for top 12.
    Teams in ranking:
    17. Sunderland
    18. Norwich
    19. Bournemouth
    20. Watford

• Belfast

Aug 14, 2015 at 5:36 PM

Any eleven including Obertan is not our best team.

• croftus5678

Aug 14, 2015 at 5:37 PM

i’m one of ober’s biggest critics he’s never been good enough and yes i understand he’s had the odd good game here and there but he’s never been a player you can depend on !

that said i think he deserves to start next game >.< the reason being i was calling hell outa pards for dropping in form players and even though i dont like to admit it ober was def one of our better players last game which i must praise him as there was a fair few of our lads who had a good game !

maybe macca gets the best out of him ? i doubt it but unless its tried we will never know.

• Jib

Aug 14, 2015 at 5:37 PM

Ibiza
    Colo gives a 5 minute interview on NUFCtv , his English is fine , certainly better than your Spanish , where do you live again ?

• sparky55

Aug 14, 2015 at 5:38 PM

I’ve always liked Anita but far too footbally for Pardew’s hoof ball style of play so became ineffective.

I’m delighted SM is playing to the strengths of the players bought in instead of Carr scouting good footballers and Pardew playing hoof ball therefore nullifying their footballing ability

• Blackley and Brownlie

Aug 14, 2015 at 5:38 PM

I upset someone last night with an analogy involving blood children and adopted children. On reflection it wasn’t my finest moment. I apologise for any offence caused.

• Ibizatoon

Aug 14, 2015 at 5:41 PM

Jib….I see some on the blog appear to be attempting not to bicker and take swipes at one another.

Do you want to have a read of my post again and then try once more before I respond?

• croftus5678

sissoko must start
    siem must start
    wijnaldum must start
    rolando must start
    cisse must start
    mitrovic must start

can we have 13 players on the pitch with 1 cb ? i’m sure alex fergusson would have gotten away with it !

1 2 3 7