The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Is This Newcastle’s Best Team For Swansea?

4:10 pm, Friday, August 14th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 247 Comments

We would be very surprised if Steve McClaren doesn’t start the same team tomorrow that started against Southampton that did quite well last Sunday until the last 15 minutes when we seemed to tire, and also didn’t help ourselves  by giving the ball away too much.

Those are two areas Steve McClaren will be looking for an improvement in tomorrow at the Liberty Stadium.

Vurnon Anita +Newcastle+United+v+West+Ham+United+TIcUk_tsl3Yl

Vurnon Anita – in action last Sunday

Players pushing for a start include Aleksandar Mitrovic, Siem de Jong and Rolando Aarons, but the team last week played well and will be given another chance tomorrow.

This is what we think the team will be in a 4-2-3-1 formation:

Janmaat Coloccini (c) Mbemba Haidara
Colback Anita
Sissoko Wijnaldum Obertan
Subs: Darlow Taylor Tiote de Jong Aarons Mitrovic Perez

That’s assuming Anita is fit again and he’s been in training since Wednesday so he should be OK.

If we bring in another striker before September, wonder if MccLren will switch to a 4-4-2 formation?

What would your team be for tomorrow?

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Swansea?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Match Preview · Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League · Press Conference

247 responses so far ↓

• 1 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 14, 2015 at 4:13 PM

I always cringe when I hear our manager odder the words “I am happy with what I’ve got” ?

• 2 TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa // Aug 14, 2015 at 4:14 PM

the answer is NO

this looks like another 2-2 tie. Haidara is a liability no defense. Really hope perez, SDJ or arrons start over ober. WOuld love to see colt 45 instead of cisse. He goes silent for most of the game. His goal was the first time he touched the ball and he WAS very lucky to get that oppurtunity

• 3 dneville // Aug 14, 2015 at 4:16 PM

Janmaat Coloccini (c) Mbemba Haidara
    Colback Anita
    Sissoko SDJ Wijnaldum
    Subs: Darlow Taylor Tiote Obertan Aarons Mitrovic Perez

• 4 wynsleap // Aug 14, 2015 at 4:25 PM

That’s quite a bench you’ve got there Ed.
    Would have Aarons and Mitrovich in the team though.
    We still look short of a bit of wing class like Thauvin, Konoplyanka or Janusaj and certainly need a dominating tall, aggressive central defender who can consistently clear high balls coming into the box.
    Hope we don’t have to wait until NEXT summers window however.

• 5 DaraghL // Aug 14, 2015 at 4:27 PM

Is the fighting over? Can I come out now?

Somebody stated on the last post that Pelle’s goal was a good goal and would not have been defended against most teams. To be honest I would agree with this. Shane is also great for his leap and getting a head on goal…did it against England 😉

The fact that both goals were headers immediately leads to the height question. I think the real reason for the first goal was communication. Colo and Mbemba had never played together before, Colo was attracted to the ball and should have been called back by Mbemba. Mbemba was then caught in two minds between Pelle and Rodriguez coming in late. Again this is Janmaat who should give him the call.

That sort of situation is easily resolved and the more you play with somebody the more natural it gets. I think they just need time. Hopefully should see an improvement this week.

• 6 colwell // Aug 14, 2015 at 4:28 PM

Mitrovic needs to start this one, we need his presence in the box at both ends. He came on last week when we had started to play poor so had nothing to feed on.

• 7 colwell // Aug 14, 2015 at 4:31 PM

The height thing is a problem at Cb, Gomis won a lot against Terry and Cahill last week who are both stronger in the air then Colo and Mbemba. Guarantee Swansea will score a header tomorrow.

• 8 DaraghL // Aug 14, 2015 at 4:32 PM

I would go wtih the same 11 if fit. Think we should use Aarons as an impact player for now.

Depending on how the game is going I would like to see Aarons, Perez and Mitrovic get some game time second half.

• 9 toon kk // Aug 14, 2015 at 4:37 PM

Mitrovic will be one to watch, he needs to keep a cool head or he’ll be collecting a record for the most cards picked up in one season. Maybe Tiote could give him some advice! !!!

• 10 Kebabacus // Aug 14, 2015 at 4:41 PM

—-Yan – Steve – LaBamba – Anita

Ssssoko – Winny – DeJong – Aarons

Great bench, no Willo or Goof, pack the midfield and whack Mitrovic on around 60 minutes to scare the crops out of them. Toon win 3-2.

• 11 Bobbybee // Aug 14, 2015 at 4:45 PM

Well, I’ve gone for another 2-2 on my super6, which may well be a recurring scoreline for us this season. We have goals in us, both on the pitch and from the bench, but we also have defensive problems. I know a lot won’t agree, but I would play Willo ahead of Collo until we find another tall centre back. In games when we’ve played against Carroll for example, Willo has never let him score if I’m not mistaken? Tomorrow it’s Gomis, we need somebody to match his height and to jump with him at least. After watching Collo last week, I can’t see Willo doing any worse – which says more about Collo than Willo really. Horses for courses. Mbemba can cover any speed threat through the middle, but with both goals last week coming from headers, like it or not – and I’m not exactly ecstatic about it – Willo offers better ariel cover.

• 12 Mister Tuff // Aug 14, 2015 at 4:49 PM

I’ll be surprised if Mitrovich starts and would expect him to come on later to grab a goal. If he does start Wally will have to be 100% satisfied that he isn’t going to do something daft and get sent off. Potential good battle with Ashley Williams and possible flashpoint.

• 13 toonicle // Aug 14, 2015 at 4:51 PM

Drop Anita for Sissoko, Obertan is no good on the left so move him back to the right and bring Aarons in. Haidara is going to get killed by Ayew tomorrow

• 14 martoon // Aug 14, 2015 at 4:53 PM

Is it safe to come out now, has the bitch fest finished?
    On topic I’m hoping Swansea won’t play as well as last week and underestimate us. You have to say a draw would be a decent result.

• 15 Bobbybee // Aug 14, 2015 at 4:55 PM

Martoon, what have I missed?

• 16 martoon // Aug 14, 2015 at 4:57 PM

Toonicle – hopefully our coaches will have watched their game last week and been practicing doubling up on their wingers etc. to try and nullify that threat – I say hopefully 🙂

• 17 IrishMagpie // Aug 14, 2015 at 5:01 PM

I have us down for a draw in this one and I think it would be a really good result. I don’t see any changes being made to the lineup unless Anita isn’t fully recovered. Why change anything after a positive result last week?

Obertan got an assist and that’s what he’s there to do so it makes no sense to drop him, it sends out a bad message to the squad. If you do what you’re supposed to, you keep your place. People need to realise this is not fantasy football and most managers don’t chop and change every week.

• 18 martoon // Aug 14, 2015 at 5:01 PM

Bobbybee a lot of handbag throwing between Tuff, expat and Iantoon, b & b. They’re going to meet up to look at b & b’s season ticket and kiss and make up 🙂

• 19 sparky55 // Aug 14, 2015 at 5:03 PM

Same 11 eh?

Not sure myself…IMO the only two positions with any flexibility in them is Obertan and Cisse…the rest pretty much pick themselves unless he changes the set-up

McClaren has openly stated Obertan was only in the team to stop Coates from storming forward. The interesting thing about Obertan is his perceived threat…not his actual ability. Because he’s so quick defenders don’t like to go past him because once they’re out of position and Obertan gets in behind the lines he is classed as a threat even though his end product 9 times out 10 is absolutely pants.

Coates was brought off at half time and the game was then dead on Obertans wing because he posed no threat whatsoever…APART FROM HIS ONE CROSS LEADING TO OUR 2ND GOAL!!!!

My problem with Obertan is he has no confidence…he doesn’t show himself and doesn’t demand the ball…he almost reluctantly accepts thinking “why have you given it to me.”

He’s only happy running past people but as soon as he has to cross the ball doubt springs to mind and cuts back inside or checks and passes back…it’s a real shame but he’s just got no confidence unlike Gillespie who would run and cross all day long.

I don’y think Swansea play with a marauding full back so I think Obertans influence on the game will be reduced so possibly Aarons or SDJ out there.

I don’t think Mitrovic will start but Cisse starting at this stage of the season serves two purposes…

1.) He’s in the shop Window to be sold in this transfer window

2.) Mitrovic is not match fit yet

I think Mitrovic and Perez and Armour and Rivi are enough cover for the front position TBH…I don’t think Cisse is worth keeping now. I think we’d get 6-7 million for him and get 60k a week off the wages so I think he’ll go

I don’t think Tiote will want to stay after 3 games of not starting either.

• 20 jazzyp // Aug 14, 2015 at 5:05 PM

Hope your not trying to stir things up again….hehehe

• 21 martoon // Aug 14, 2015 at 5:13 PM

Jazzyp – not at all just giving a succinct summary for Bobby.

• 22 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 14, 2015 at 5:17 PM

Shearer and DraghL
    I said after the game that the Pelle goal would beat the best defenders. However, it is worrying to see your captain go AWOL. You’re right. I said that too when people were blaming Mbemba.

Colo drifts towards the ball and leaves his man. Mbemba then gets caught in two minds for a split second.

Yes communication by Mbemba would have helped. Something like “Hoy curly locks. Where the f*** do you think you’re going now, you useless tw@t”.

• 23 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 14, 2015 at 5:23 PM

I urged everyone to watch Colo for that first goal again. Certainly, every budding centre back should. Why? Because it shows exactly what not to do. The cross would have ended up on the far side if there wasn’t a player in the middle to redirect it. It could just as easily have reached Colo’s man and ended in the net without the need for an outstanding leap. Typical Colo. AWOL.

• 24 Rotonda heights // Aug 14, 2015 at 5:24 PM

by all means drop obertan for aarons or perez, but why on earth drop anita, he’s going to be crucial for us this season playing in his proper position. we stunk when anita went off for tiote.

• 25 Jib // Aug 14, 2015 at 5:26 PM

The Guardians Opinion

• 26 Rotonda heights // Aug 14, 2015 at 5:27 PM

sm and co have done a lot of good things but keeping colo will only work if he’s played a s a sweeper in a back 3 with wing backs, ie behind a tall CB..? and a fast CB (MBemba)

• 27 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 14, 2015 at 5:27 PM

Obertan had a decent game. He does sometimes. Other times he’s poor and frustrating. Perhaps Makro and Costco can get the best out of him consistently.

• 28 Bobbybee // Aug 14, 2015 at 5:28 PM

Martoon, I’ve just been back a couple of pages, see what ya mean. 🙂 Gonna be a tough match tomorrow marra, I’ve gone 2-2 again, but would love to be proven wrong – in our favour! I’d seriously play Willo tomorrow, just to offer some height at the back. Gomis is a big booger and needs somebody as tall marking him. Not that I rate Willo – god forbid – but we look wide open once the crosses are allowed to come in. Mbemba can jump, but he’ll need a step ladder against Gomis and Collo just looked awful last week. What say you?

• 29 Thump // Aug 14, 2015 at 5:29 PM

Definitely not.

• 30 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 14, 2015 at 5:30 PM

Anita is becoming the new darling on here. Not many had a good word for him last season.

• 31 Ibizatoon // Aug 14, 2015 at 5:30 PM

Rotonda…One on my hopes for this season is that it’ll finally be clear to most what a, not only tidy player, but important player Anita is /could be for the team.

When he’s had runs in the past he’s been really good. Often picking up MOTM awards in the process, but shortly after is forgotten, as it’s the small things he does.

Big season ahead for the little man.

Blackley…”“Hoy curly locks. Where the f*** do you think you’re going now, you useless tw@t” Certainly gave me a smile. From what I understand he speaks next to no English, but that phrase should certainly be high on the priority list to learn.

• 32 JackButler // Aug 14, 2015 at 5:32 PM

Don’t see any reason to change the side that started last week but I’d love to see Aarons figure at some point – gonna be a tough game that’s for sure

• 33 will die for the toon army // Aug 14, 2015 at 5:36 PM

Our Archilles heel is our team doctor or medical staff if he does his work we will b ok. Our squad is good for top 12.
    Teams in ranking:
    16. Everton
    17. Sunderland
    18. Norwich
    19. Bournemouth
    20. Watford

• 34 Belfast // Aug 14, 2015 at 5:36 PM

Any eleven including Obertan is not our best team.

• 35 croftus5678 // Aug 14, 2015 at 5:37 PM

i’m one of ober’s biggest critics he’s never been good enough and yes i understand he’s had the odd good game here and there but he’s never been a player you can depend on !

that said i think he deserves to start next game >.< the reason being i was calling hell outa pards for dropping in form players and even though i dont like to admit it ober was def one of our better players last game which i must praise him as there was a fair few of our lads who had a good game !

maybe macca gets the best out of him ? i doubt it but unless its tried we will never know.

• 36 Jib // Aug 14, 2015 at 5:37 PM

Colo gives a 5 minute interview on NUFCtv , his English is fine , certainly better than your Spanish , where do you live again ?

• 37 sparky55 // Aug 14, 2015 at 5:38 PM

I’ve always liked Anita but far too footbally for Pardew’s hoof ball style of play so became ineffective.

I’m delighted SM is playing to the strengths of the players bought in instead of Carr scouting good footballers and Pardew playing hoof ball therefore nullifying their footballing ability

• 38 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 14, 2015 at 5:38 PM

I upset someone last night with an analogy involving blood children and adopted children. On reflection it wasn’t my finest moment. I apologise for any offence caused.

• 39 Ibizatoon // Aug 14, 2015 at 5:41 PM

Jib….I see some on the blog appear to be attempting not to bicker and take swipes at one another.

Do you want to have a read of my post again and then try once more before I respond?

• 40 croftus5678 // Aug 14, 2015 at 5:43 PM

krul must start
    hairdyer must start
    mbemba must start
    janmaat must start
    anita must start
    colback must start
    tiote must start
    sissoko must start
    siem must start
    wijnaldum must start
    rolando must start
    cisse must start
    mitrovic must start

can we have 13 players on the pitch with 1 cb ? i’m sure alex fergusson would have gotten away with it !

• 41 JackButler // Aug 14, 2015 at 5:44 PM

I take it from reading some of the comments that the blog has been a war zone today – perhaps a Charlie Austin thread would calm things down

• 42 Ibizatoon // Aug 14, 2015 at 5:44 PM

Blackley…I did see that comment on the adopted children and did feel the urge to comment further today, but refrained.

It was pretty clumsy and imo, misguided. Thanks for that post however. We all f*** up, even with the best of intentions.

• 43 Bobbybee // Aug 14, 2015 at 5:45 PM

Croftus, Fergie got away with a lot of things – selling Pardew Obertan for one!!!! 😉

• 44 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 14, 2015 at 5:46 PM

The guy next to me hates Anita. He calls him Vernon Troy (I worked out he means Verne Troyer). I agree with him on most things but not this. Anita’s sloppy at times and needs to be more careful, but he puts in a decent shift every time and only rarely drops a clanger.

• 45 Ibizatoon // Aug 14, 2015 at 5:46 PM

JB…Has there not been one? Perhaps we should take it upon ourselves to keep the comments alive and kicking with Austin updates?

This just in, Charlie Austin rumoured to have had a sip of his drink. It went down the wrong way and he coughed. It is believed this will not derail any potential move, with NUFC in pole position to sign the striker from QPR.

• 46 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 14, 2015 at 5:47 PM

My God it’s a good thing Jail and I are not talking…and I thought we were bad 😉

• 47 Jib // Aug 14, 2015 at 5:47 PM

I’ve read your post again

You sneer at NUFC’s club captain for his lack of English (which is a lie)

You have never been near Tyneside in your life.

You are an expat leech in Spain living off them and tourists and not even bothering to learn even a smidgeon of their language .
    I’ve met dozens like you , beneath contempt.

Whatever made you pick an NUFC site to spout your crap on is beyond me.

• 48 Bobbybee // Aug 14, 2015 at 5:49 PM

Ibiza, he coughed? That might have damaged his shoulder even more, you know. Another million off – kerching! 🙂

• 49 sparky55 // Aug 14, 2015 at 5:49 PM

pardon my ignorance and I might wish I’d used google rather than write this but who the fcuk is Verne Troyer???

• 50 Bobbybee // Aug 14, 2015 at 5:51 PM

Jib, I think he meant Mbemba couldn’t speak english yet, not collo, if that helps. 🙂

• 51 toonbrother // Aug 14, 2015 at 5:51 PM

Best team
    ………………..Anita…Jacky Boy

ABC: anybody but colo

• 52 bettyswallocks // Aug 14, 2015 at 5:52 PM

I can’t believe people are calling for Williamson to be reinstated. He has been criticised for his lack of footballing ability and rightly so , now people are saying we need him due to his height. How very fickle.

• 53 sparky55 // Aug 14, 2015 at 5:53 PM

hahahaha pmsl…just googled verne troyer…very funny b&b

• 54 Belfast // Aug 14, 2015 at 5:54 PM

He speaks terrible English according to Skunki. A bad source of information.

• 55 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 14, 2015 at 5:55 PM

That drink of Austin’s. I’ve heard it was Yorkshire brew. There’s now speculation that Charnley served it up.

• 56 Ibizatoon // Aug 14, 2015 at 5:55 PM

Thanks Bobby. If you could put that up on Google Jib might take it on board.

Jib…The sun is shining. That comment is full off complete rubbish, in fact, not one fact in the whole thing. But hey, no pasa nada.

Bobby…2 comments in one post for you…lucky you 🙂 It’s worth looking in to. Might be signs of a serial cougher. We’d do best to avoid being stuck with that!

• 57 Noel Worst // Aug 14, 2015 at 5:56 PM

That will be the team. 2-2 Obertan to score!

• 58 Ibizatoon // Aug 14, 2015 at 5:58 PM

Blackley…Surely that can’t just be speculation. What else could Charnley have done in the scenario?

Oh dear, now I’m really going to be in trouble with my anti NUFC ways…

Sorry Penfold – you’re the best really!

• 59 AMEOBI // Aug 14, 2015 at 5:58 PM

Any update on Ed’s cancer treatment?

Hope you’re doing just fine, appreciate your time and effort running this blog. Cheers

• 60 Jib // Aug 14, 2015 at 5:58 PM

Thanks Bobby for trying to help
    You should think of applying for a job with the UN 🙂
    Ibizaknob’s post wasn’t exactly the clearest piece of English I’ve ever read and he’s still a blot on the blog

• 61 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 14, 2015 at 5:59 PM

The guy next to me is something else like. Without fail, and right on the half hour, no matter what is happening, he gets up to go inside with his flask of coffee.

• 62 JackButler // Aug 14, 2015 at 6:00 PM

Without a doubt an Austin thread will be along soon enough poor old Ed will have withdrawals other wise

• 63 NUFC FOR SALE // Aug 14, 2015 at 6:01 PM

Why the hell would you drop Obertan??????

He played really well against S’hampton, set up one of the goals.

His pace frightens the life out of defenders.

If he gets back to the form he was showing before he got that injury last season (when he was our best player by far for several games) he will be a shoe in to start every game.

• 64 Ibizatoon // Aug 14, 2015 at 6:02 PM

Phew…I’m glad we managed to clear that one up.

• 65 Bobbybee // Aug 14, 2015 at 6:03 PM

Betty, g’day to you. My point was that right now, there’s little to chose between Collo and Willo. Both decidedly average. Willo at least offers a challenge to Gomis. My concern is that, like last week, we do really well, only to concede headed goals that could be avoided. I have said previously that Wixllo plays better with anybody other than Collo, for whatever reason, and maybe it might – only might – be worth trying him with Mbemba. Mbemba can cover him speedwise, whilst he can jump with Gomis and at worst, put him off. He has always, to be fair to him, had the likes of Carroll in his pocket in games, and he’s more of a threat than Gomis in the air. Just really looking for a way of negating the threat Gomis offers in the air. Horses for courses. Carthorses granted, but still horses! 🙂

• 66 geordiesteve520 // Aug 14, 2015 at 6:03 PM

Anyone else think Villa may have pulled off signing of the summer in Adama Traore?

• 67 Bobbybee // Aug 14, 2015 at 6:04 PM

Wixllo? New signing? Willo I mean 🙂

• 68 Rotonda heights // Aug 14, 2015 at 6:06 PM

no way sm will drop his captain

• 69 hibbit // Aug 14, 2015 at 6:07 PM

jib our captain only speakes fluent english when it suits him

• 70 Rotonda heights // Aug 14, 2015 at 6:08 PM

ibiza speaks well of you though

• 71 Jib // Aug 14, 2015 at 6:09 PM

You cannot play “Missing In Action” Obertan on a wing facing Ayew .
    They have Montero on the other side so you cannot play him there.
    You cannot play Obertan.

• 72 Goofy // Aug 14, 2015 at 6:10 PM

Bobbybee.. I don’t get the Williamson wins everything in the air, he doesn’t, half of time he’s climbing all over the attackers with elbows and knees flailing all over the place, i’m surprised he hasn’t given away more pens, he is a complete shambles of a defender, he’s slow, clumsy, thick, he just had no awareness about whats going on around him then panics and hoofs the ball either out for a throw or lands at the opposing teams feet, sorry but i hope he never plays for the Toon again.

• 73 Bobbybee // Aug 14, 2015 at 6:11 PM

Ibiza, serial cougher? Ebola carrier must be taken into consideration when buying. Another million off – kerching! Getting better by the minute. Glad to be of help – an argument based on a misunderstanding is just wasted effort innit? 🙂

• 74 AMEOBI // Aug 14, 2015 at 6:13 PM

If you’re speaking about defensive cover as a winger then it’s obertan who starts. There’s no better option for this game..

• 75 LGFUAD21 // Aug 14, 2015 at 6:15 PM

Managers have to act like they are happy with what they have. If they have to work with it the worst thing they can do is tell the whole world that the players are shit.

Mcclaren has to play diplomat to the media. Of course he wants better players. But he can’t say that without pi55ing off his squad.

I think tomorrow is a tough call.
    Swansea can beat anyone on their day.
    We will be underestimated given our recent form.
    We are unknown with the changes to the coaching.

There’s nothing to say we won’t be pleasantly surprised and come out with a win. Southampton have looked good all pre season but we dominated them for large parts of the game and less match fitness.

Those moaning about emulating Swansea?

Why. See past the stature of Swansea and they have succeeded where so many fail in consolidating in the prem and bundling from that in a sustainable way.
    That’s what we should be doing. Building a club on a good coaching platform to keep improving incrementally.

• 76 Ibizatoon // Aug 14, 2015 at 6:15 PM

Bobbybee…That is true, when it’s based on a misunderstanding, when it’s based on a desire to have said arguement for the sake of it, it’s even more of a waste of effort. But still, about this Austin – the guy is falling apart. I’d offer £3m max. Spare parts for the rest of the team.

• 77 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 14, 2015 at 6:15 PM

An Austin thread that happens to mention how bad Carver was last season?

We believe that if Austin does come North he will develop his career so much better under the coaching of Steve McClaren than ever he would under the hapless John Carver, who was probably the worst head coach in the history of the Newcastle club.

• 78 Jib // Aug 14, 2015 at 6:16 PM

Gouffran is a better option !!!!!

• 79 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 14, 2015 at 6:18 PM

my god has WW3 broken out in here today,

Ibiza I could have sworn you meant Mbemba didn’t speak English!

• 80 bettyswallocks // Aug 14, 2015 at 6:19 PM

Bobby….. I thought McClaren is supposed to prefer speed and skill in his defence ,and defenders who are comfortable enough on the ball to play it out of defence.

We have to start somewhere with this new policy and I agree the CB s lack height but to get rid of that donkey has to be a positive.

• 81 Bobbybee // Aug 14, 2015 at 6:19 PM

Goofy, THAT’s what these pages are all about matey! Differing opinions. 🙂 Don’t get me wrong, I’m no closet Willo fan, but just jumping alongside a player prevents them getting a clear header. In an ideal world, we’d have a new CB in place once the winsdow shuts, but until then, we’re wide open to crosses – as Sunday highlighted all too clearly. I don’t WANT Willo in the team, I just don’t see any viable alternative to dangerous crosses.

• 82 hibbit // Aug 14, 2015 at 6:20 PM

can someone tell me what oberton brings to the party i just dont get what you see in this guy i realise we don’t have much choice but he’s not a prem footballer

• 83 Ibizatoon // Aug 14, 2015 at 6:24 PM

For instance, are there no parts from Austin which could benefit either Willo or Squidward?

Chancel…Most likely because that is who I was talking about, you can read English and weren’t looking for an argument. Still, we all make mistakes, some more than others.

• 84 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 14, 2015 at 6:25 PM

Fair point Ibiza mate

• 85 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 14, 2015 at 6:27 PM

When I heard Ashley talking about bolting the horse to the cart, I was sure that meant we’d have no further need of a donkey.

• 86 Bobbybee // Aug 14, 2015 at 6:31 PM

Betty, agree mate, but defenders’ first job is to defend. I’m genuinely concerned with the lack of height – ffs, why else would I even suggest Willo – which cost us points on Sunday. Highlights the need to buy a big commanding CB asap, if nothing else. If we concede silly headed goals again this weekend, I’m not sure where it leaves us. I must stress, I don’t want Willo in the team, but until we sign somebody else, this conceding headers is going to cost us points. Anyway, it was more to get football back on the agenda really. 🙂

• 87 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 14, 2015 at 6:31 PM

Hibbit @82
    No. It would be easier for me to explain the double split experiment of quantum physics, if that would be any help to you.

• 88 Harley // Aug 14, 2015 at 6:37 PM

I’m a bit gobsmacked we didn’t sign ayew. It felt like a no brainer, free, not crazy wages, young, experienced international, fast, explosive, goal scorer.
    Yet we get linked with thauvin at 12m. Puzzling.

• 89 Bobbybee // Aug 14, 2015 at 6:38 PM

Ibiza, three sounds better than where we started for sure! Dunno if you remember Billy’s Boots from some comic back in the day, but maybe if Obertan wore Austins feet, his shooting might improve. If you don’t go back that far, Billy’s Boots were possessed by some great old footballer, and when Billy wore them, he played like him. Might work lmao!

• 90 bettyswallocks // Aug 14, 2015 at 6:39 PM

Bobby….. I think Chancel s athleticism and superior coordination will make up for his lack of height. He s got a great leap in him so let’s see how he copes. He comes with a good reputation at CB. He’ll need time to settle in to the PL, but like I said we’ve got to start making changes. Williamson is not pleasing to the eye in anything he does.

• 91 hibbit // Aug 14, 2015 at 6:39 PM

blackley…… i already know the equation for that i want the formula for oberton being classed as a footballer thats what has me beat

• 92 Bobbybee // Aug 14, 2015 at 6:43 PM

Harley, I might well be wrong, but I believe Ayew went to Swansea because he was free and wanted to join up with somebody he knows well there? I believe reading something like that somewhere when it happened. Can’t remember who it is though. Not much help, but maybe someone else can fill in the blanks.

• 93 Bobbybee // Aug 14, 2015 at 6:49 PM

Betty, it’s not Mbemba that worries me. I’ve seen him jump and it’s impressive enough for me, but he can only mark one man to be fair. It was just something I thought worth discussing tbh. Ideally Willo will never play again, but Collo’s contribution scared me to death last week. If he’s the answer going forward, I’m at a loss as to what exactly is the question. Let’s hope it was just rustiness!

• 94 Harley // Aug 14, 2015 at 6:50 PM

I’d never heard that. Maybe explains why he chose there over a lot of bigger clubs.

• 95 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 14, 2015 at 6:52 PM

Quick qiestion…Baines is out injured who should I pick for defense? 🙂

• 96 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 14, 2015 at 6:53 PM

…fantasy football that is (imagine Belfast read this 😉 )

• 97 Bobbybee // Aug 14, 2015 at 6:55 PM

Harley, I didn’t get it either matey, but I’m 98% sure there was some personal reason for him choosing Swansea from what I read somewhere. I’m not sure he even considered any other club, which struck me as bizarre. I’m sure somebody on here knows the full spec on it.

• 98 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 14, 2015 at 6:59 PM

• 99 Belfast // Aug 14, 2015 at 7:00 PM

Chelsea left back with the funny name

• 100 Belfast // Aug 14, 2015 at 7:02 PM

• 101 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 14, 2015 at 7:05 PM

The scousers will take some stick if it turns out it was them who tried to burgle Cilla’s house. Shocking.

• 102 Tsunki // Aug 14, 2015 at 7:09 PM

Hmm I got baines and I also have azpilicueta buuuut they’re playing Citeh next. Might not be a good day for him.

• 103 Bobbybee // Aug 14, 2015 at 7:11 PM

Belfast, my thoughts too, just couldn’t remember his name either 🙂

• 104 Tsunki // Aug 14, 2015 at 7:13 PM

Blackley saw your reply the other night and without wanting to reheat yesterday’s leftovers. I see your point. From the perspective that fans from faraway have no right to ridicule or berate those who attend matches, or the idea that we should be relegated for the purposes of some weird catharsis, I agree – the point can be made to boycott, but the choice is the individuals.

• 105 Bobbybee // Aug 14, 2015 at 7:13 PM

Belfast, Norwich’s left back will do surely – bearing in mind who they’re playing. 🙂

• 106 Jail for Ashley // Aug 14, 2015 at 7:16 PM

Wow, Ibiza being abused, the price paid for having a non neutral opinion, welcome to my world !

• 107 JAMSHA // Aug 14, 2015 at 7:16 PM

get sisucko off an play perez insted,,sisucko has 1 good game in every 6 games

• 108 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 14, 2015 at 7:16 PM

One thing that would help is to make sure we don’t give away silly free kicks near our box. It cost us dear too many times. Drove me bonkers. Why wantonly concede there when you know you can’t defend crosses?

• 109 Tsunki // Aug 14, 2015 at 7:16 PM

OK, what did I miss?

• 110 Jail for Ashley // Aug 14, 2015 at 7:17 PM

I hope that if we win tomorrow, Ed doesn’t class it as a famous victory, unless of course it’s 9-0.

• 111 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 14, 2015 at 7:23 PM

Belfast…Can I have two Chelski defenders?

• 112 Bobbybee // Aug 14, 2015 at 7:24 PM

B&B, very true my friend. We do have that tendancy to shoot wor-sen in the foot needlessly in that area. The ideal solution would be to stop any crosses coming in – period – but how likely is that?

• 113 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 14, 2015 at 7:27 PM

I’ll go with Kompany!

• 114 Tsunki // Aug 14, 2015 at 7:27 PM

So Ibiza has come in for some hammer eh? We can’t say I’m surprised it was always coming . Sitting on the fence is a dangerous thing long – term. Just ask any empty bean tin.

• 115 Tsunki // Aug 14, 2015 at 7:29 PM

Jesper – Kompany was my Cap last week, wini was VC. Mucho pointso ha ha

• 116 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 14, 2015 at 7:33 PM

Tsunki…I picked the worse kind of team as always 😀 lol

…only one Newcastle player though

• 117 Ian Toon // Aug 14, 2015 at 7:37 PM

Belfast –
    I posted earlier with a 2-2 forecast. What is of concern is our defence against a very pacy Swansea. Watching the Chelsea game their front three of Montero, Gomis and Ayew caused Chelsea’s back four real problems. We missed out on Ayew – although you never really know how interested we were. Ivanovic is usually dominant but Montero caused him all sorts of problems and Gomis got behind Terry and Cahill surprisingly easily. Early season form can be misleading though. Haïdara- I have reservations about him defensively but he does have pace and along with Mbemba should combat the challenge. Post match reviews that I have read have focussed on the game being mainly won and lost on the flanks. Mainly because our goals against Southampton came from wide positions, with Obertan justifying his selection. Swansea caught Chelsea on the counterattack But they will be wary of us catching them in a similar way- Macca saw Obertan’s selection as being tactical and he could well do tomorrow.

• 118 Shadow_Shearer // Aug 14, 2015 at 7:38 PM

Somebody please explain to me, why would you start obertan when you can start perez!?!?!?!?!?

Also mitrovic must be given game time to get fit. If colo can be given game time, why can mitrovic???

• 119 Jib // Aug 14, 2015 at 7:42 PM

AV versus ManU
    Good stream

• 120 Bobbybee // Aug 14, 2015 at 7:44 PM

Football calling and I’m never able to resist the call. Be good to each other. 🙂

• 121 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 14, 2015 at 7:46 PM

You were talking last night about my sort of attitude dividing the fan base. What gets forgotten is where it started. Foreign based fans who don’t attend advocating boycotts and insulting local fans for giving Ashley money.

I’m pleased that some fans have commented that they know exactly what I mean about the local pride aspect. I get the impression that some bloggers from afar think its a figment of my imagination and is meant to be elitist. It’s not.

I’m all for foreign fans supporting the club. There’s a very good piece on Toonsy’s blog about support in the US, which is great news. All I’m saying is don’t suppose we’re all the same. The club means different things to different people.

Some people like Welshie support the Toon as their second club. Does that make him a valid fan? Yes in my book. But he doesn’t half get some stick on here for it as if he or someone similar is not legitimate. He has chosen to support Newcastle. He’s a fan of the club just like everybody else and entitled to voice an opinion.

All I’m saying is: don’t join a club from afar and then tell the locals they’re wrong when you’re not a local. Everyone has different cultures and just because an Aftican, American, Asian etc becomes a Newcastle fan doesn’t mean he becomes a Geordie and understands what the club is about. They will have their own culture that I don’t understand and even if I moved abroad for 20 years, I might never understand it.

In short, I don’t like anyone slagging off loyal fans, the Toon army foot soldiers, and I will speak up for them.

• 122 colwell // Aug 14, 2015 at 7:47 PM

Hate the fact i’m a little jealous of Villa’s new look team so much power and pace all over the pitch, Sherwood has had a very good window.

• 123 Jail for Ashley // Aug 14, 2015 at 7:48 PM

What is your opinion on contemporary art and the disposable wealth of the nouveau rich.

• 124 Jail for Ashley // Aug 14, 2015 at 7:51 PM

welsh gets stick because he’s a troll.

• 125 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 14, 2015 at 7:53 PM

I know very little about rugby and cant follow the rules. But it drives me mad when I watch a hard fought match of toil and guts, balanced on a knife edge, only to see a player deliberately put his hand somewhere he shouldn’t and concede a penalty within easy kicking distance. Game over. What’s that all about?

• 126 welshgeordie9 // Aug 14, 2015 at 7:55 PM

Haven’t argued with anyone on here for a long time keeping myself to myself and then you starts the stirring, jail without shadow of a doubt, you are a first class muppet.

• 127 Munster Mag // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:02 PM

Rotunda stop nicking my coloplast sweeper idea!

• 128 dok - the horrid colonial // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:03 PM

im only reposting this for one reason:

‘Foreign based fans who don’t attend advocating boycotts and insulting local fans for giving Ashley money’.

never once did I give any supporter living there any insults, in fact, my whole response was, I have no say, I am NOT there… I can truly understand both sides of the argument… wanting better from ownership, and still supporting the club you grew up with.

my only issue is that if one is not from there, he is no less a fan, than one who is across the street… its actually harder to be able to watch stateside, but with the advent of the rights on nbcsports, it has made it easier…

I will end this post by being humble, and apologizing for any offence you may have taken, but i do wish you to understand, supporters are everywhere, not just tyneside, and are just as loyal…

• 129 Llort muw // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:04 PM

The nerve of some people ey? 🙂

• 130 colwell // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:04 PM

I can not understand why we didn’t try and sign Ayew and Richards for free? Ayew brilliant winger who assists and scores, Richards powerful and quick 2 perfect signings? And just in our price range.

• 131 Noel Worst // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:05 PM

Grumpy old boys brigade – OUT!

• 132 welshgeordie9 // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:07 PM

We should have signed Richards always rated him when he was at Man City.

• 133 Jib // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:07 PM

In the original internet sense of the word you and I , ARE trolls.
    Not Nordic devils that hide under bridges like that fool Tuffty thinks .
    When I was a kid I used to poach the lakes at Cragside near Rothbury . We used spinners called Meps which involved casting far and slowly reeling in hoping for a bite , that type of fishing was called trolling.
    That’s what you and do kidda , we post stuff hoping for a bite (response)
    The negative shyte that goes with modern trolls trying to stir things up has kind of muddied the waters with the bad connotations but if you are an old time blogger Troll is not an insult.

• 134 Ron Knee // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:08 PM

The first 20 mins of this match are not very good.

• 135 Jail for Ashley // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:09 PM

Do you mean we as in that little family club in Glamorgan ?

• 136 welshgeordie9 // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:09 PM

Anyone on here going to the Liberty stadium, i will buy you a pint.

• 137 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:09 PM

I use Welshie as an example. You can be a fan of two clubs and have your preference. As a local, he probably had no choice about Swansea and he chose NUFC as a second club. Does that mean he’s not a NUFC fan? That seemed to be the opinion on here. I didn’t take him as a troll.

He’s not been around lately. Perhaps he’s now chosen a different second team to follow?

That Welsh sheep business was a bit odd. Some prankster pretending to be a few different people on here, including me at one stage. I’d love to know who that was. I take it you reckon that was Welsh. It was funny for a while.

• 138 Ian Toon // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:10 PM

Welsh – The real test comes tomorrow around 4.50 pm. I don’t see how you can personally win! Because if you do you’ll lose on here and vice versa. If you follow my drift.

• 139 Llort muw // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:11 PM

Jail stop being a tool.

• 140 Jib // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:12 PM

Is it me or are Manu playing hoofball ?

• 141 Ian Toon // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:14 PM

Good composure.

• 142 Jib // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:14 PM

That’s me shot down in flames
    Januzaj from great midfield play Hahaha

• 143 JackButler // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:14 PM

a three way conversation with yourslef – interesting

• 144 welshgeordie9 // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:15 PM

Swans might be a small club jail, but since they have been in the premier league they have outclassed, outperformed every club. Kicked they backsides in other words.

• 145 welshgeordie9 // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:16 PM

Ian Toon

I know what you are saying mate.

• 146 Llort muw // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:18 PM

Don’t get too cocky, yes, i agree Swans play a lot of teams off the park… But not really against the big teams, that’s why they normally finish around 8th. But given there past that is a really good achievement to consistently get top 10 football league position. If I was a Swansea fan I would be excited.

• 147 welshgeordie9 // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:18 PM

Blackley and Brownlie

I can sure you that wasn’t me, some clown trying to be funny.

• 148 will die for the toon army // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:19 PM

Was thinking abt the Academy products of recent 25yrs and below who have failed and suceeded at recent yrs.
    Soderberg, Kadar, Amstrong, Street, Bigi, Newton, Campbell, Kazenga, JJ Hooper, Richardson, Donaldson.

What really happenede to the kids? That’s really a Championship side.

• 149 welshgeordie9 // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:22 PM

Llort muw

Not getting cocky mate I’m just saying.

• 150 Ibizatoon // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:23 PM

Jail…Hardly the first time. Likely not to be the last.

Tsunki…Still with the fence? Been a little while now mate. Moving on however, why on Earth would you start this discussion again? I mean seriously?

Blackley…Forget everything else for just one second. Just concentrate on locals, those who shouldn’t be told what to do. Even those very fans didn’t agree on the issue. It has nothing to do with overseas fans, or fans who have never been to SJP. It’s never been the issue, yet you insist on trying to make it so.

You may well not want to hear it from someone who doesn’t fit your criteria of being a higher grade fan, but the content wasn’t an issue of origin or location.

I do agree, and always have, that it is of course each individuals choice. That doesn’t however mean we shouldn’t be able to discuss the merits of either side, no matter your own background. That’s just ridiculous and goes against everything I believe in. How do you progress if you don’t discuss and listen to differing opinions…even if those opinions come from non-locals?

For what it’s worth, I fought the opposite side of this arguement a few years back on this very blog.

• 151 lochinvar // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:24 PM

A few comments about Obertan.
    You would think that other teams and coaches will have noted how he damaged Southampton. That’s good. For once the opposition will be thinking about the positive approach of Newcastle and will have to be more cautious which puts them into negative frame of mind. If we can use that to get ahead away from home we have control of the game.
    Positive thinking.

• 152 welshgeordie9 // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:26 PM

How can you say swans haven’t beaten the big sides, swans done the double over Man Utd last season and i think arsenal as well, when swans won the league cup against Bradford they beaten Liverpool and Chelsea.

• 153 will die for the toon army // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:29 PM

I dont think am impressed with Aston Villa and Manure yet.

• 154 cestriasteve // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:30 PM

Shadow Shearer,

Perez doesn’t have the perceived defensive support to cover the full back, I say perceived as I actually don’t think Obertan is that good at defensive duties but he’s a big muscular lad in the way that Perez isn’t. I think Steve McClean is very much in the mould of Pardew in that he likes his wingers to be able to defend.
    This does throw up a few issues, why our interest in Thauvin? What’s he going to do with Cabella and Aarons, are they going to be used only as part time impact players?

• 155 Llort muw // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:33 PM

Ok welsh chill out, I said that I agree that Swansea are a really good team. Yes they did the double over Manure for like the first time in there history which is great. But if they beat so many of the big teams last season how come they finished 8th? Or wherever they finished lol.

• 156 dok - the horrid colonial // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:33 PM

if im allowed an opinion…

it would have been far easier to have become a manure fan, or a Chelsea and arsenal one, its closer to my friends in London, and I would’ve been more welcomed I imagine… however, when I saw my 1st match of NUFC, I was hooked, the crowds, the singing, the passion of the fanbase, as well as the team itself….

but it seems since im a second tier supporter, im not a Geordie, I cant have any sort of opinion, and that’s why I will take my leave, and rarely post anymore…

• 157 spaghetti bandit // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:36 PM

Obertan gets the nod because his pace makes the opposition drop deeper to accommodate it also to occupy attacking full backs,, mclaren pretty much said as much mentioning how cedric soares got hacked off at half time..

• 158 Llort muw // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:36 PM

Don’t be daft Dok! If you truly love this club then who in the right mind has the right to tell you different? your opinion is just as valid as everyone else’s. 🙂

• 159 Llort muw // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:37 PM

I would imagine Aarons could do even more then Obertan, hope he gets his chance soon!

• 160 JackButler // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:37 PM

Your opinion is as relevant as anyone’s on here, do not allow the narcissistic opinion of one person make you think otherwise

• 161 spaghetti bandit // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:38 PM

Fullbacks are scared too attack incase they lose possession knowing they won’t catch him,, doesn’t matter half the time though coz he normally runs infront of tha ball..

• 162 Ian Toon // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:38 PM

Spaghetti- Spot on.

• 163 overtheline // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:39 PM

Never a truer word spoken in jest.
    Yes Jib/Jeff you are a troll in every sense of the word…

You might not have got this, but a troll, self confessed as you are, is not a complimentary term…whether orc-like and under a bridge or orc-like and commenting on a web blog.

• 164 davis_toons // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:40 PM
    I cant believe that some are still arguing two goals were the fault of Colo.

You should start watching the game at 0.02
    0.06s: Soton player carry the ball downwards ..seeing Colo right go.
    0.07s: Pass out wide right..
    0.07+s: Haidara signal to Colo to HIS MARKED MAN as he is about to get forward to close down the Wide Soton Man.
    0.08s: Colo follow in and close Soton player down
    0.0.8+s: Mbemba signal out to Janmaat to Watch out the 2 Soton guys behind him.

0.09: Meanwhile Colo was busy tussling with a Soton player which he was ask to Marked by Haidara.

10s: A deep cross comes in Haidara couldn’t reach in time to block it.

Clearly at the back was 3 ON 3.
    With 3 Newcastle defenders Marking 3 Soton Attackers.

11s: Upon knowing the Cross was Deep it will bend pass him and dropping towards Janmaat and Mbemba..
    (He knows his role of covering is over)

12s: He runs towards the Goal protect Anything.

12s: The ball comes down.. Both Mbemba and Soton Jumps..(before Mbemba head could reach the ball its was already headed downwards goal) Mbemba positioning was marginally off.

1) Clearly Mbemba was out jumped and position was slightly off.
    2) Krul was beaten near pole.

If the Soton player whom was Marked by Colo scored. This Curly hair monster would be at fault.

But It is clear that it was 3 on 3.

(1 Newcastle player infront of 1 Soton player) x 3

• 165 Ron Knee // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:40 PM

Troll Wum or Wum Troll
    Have you re-renamed yourself recently? Idle curiosity!

• 166 spaghetti bandit // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:41 PM

So do I,, still think obertan will get tha nod tomorrow though..

• 167 doofa the loofa // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:42 PM

Bnb out…
    Second tier supporters in….
    Bolt that horse on mike..

• 168 Jail for Ashley // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:42 PM

Llort muw,
    First time poster long time reader by any chance ?

• 169 spaghetti bandit // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:43 PM

I’m with Davis on this on,, I wrote something pretty similar on an earlier thread..

• 170 Ian Toon // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:44 PM

Perez and Aarons can be used as impact subs at this stage of the season.

• 171 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:46 PM

Dok @128
    Slagging off the locals from abroad and telling fans of 30, 40, 50 years how they are wrong for not supporting boycotts and how they are not helping the club got right up my nose. Some would even have had us relegated to satisfy their hatred of the owner. Even worse when it then transpires that some of them are youngsters who’ve never even been to SJP.

If some fans decide they’ve had enough and don’t want to renew season tickets while Ashley is here, that’s their choice and I respect it. I’m not going to criticise them, even though I don’t feel the same way.

I don’t recall who it was I was responding to at the time; there were quite a few. I have not linked your continual insults towards me back to then. I have just ignored them. I have to say it’s odd that I was under the ban threat for apparently not observing house rules, whilst others continue to insult and abuse people for months on end without any fear of sanction.

I note the boycotters are claiming Ashley ‘s apparent change of heart is down to them. They may be right but I don’t think so. The boycotts weren’t supported by the vast majority. The threat of relegation and loss of the lucre was the reason for the recent spend. Even Ashleys detractors say hes only motivated by money. It seems they want to argue it both ways. You just had to see Ashley and Charney ‘s relief on the last day to know they wouldn’t want to put themselves through that again.

They thought they knew the risk. King Percy told them and us of his European ambitions, even though many fans on this blog and elsewhere warned of relegation. The rest is history. King Percy was given leave to go and the risk has been re-appraised.

• 172 Jail for Ashley // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:47 PM

I hope we don’t sell Tiote, even if it’s for 10M, unless of course it’s immediately invested in a better player, how many deadline day deals have we seen now, not one that’s made us happy !

• 173 Jib // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:48 PM

Genuine question
    I don’t know where in the States you are from but how do you think folk on a Cowboy NFL blog (if such a thing exists ) would react to a Brit who had never been to Dallas criticising Jerry Jones or commenting on their players and coach ?

• 174 Ian Toon // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:50 PM

Blackley- Quit whilst your ahead.

• 175 Llort muw // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:51 PM

I’m a long time reader folks, thought the name would be figured out quickly lol.

I thought it fit in with what has been going on since this blog started.

• 176 Jail for Ashley // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:51 PM

Of course you would think that the fan unrest had nothing to do with this brave new Nufc, but you were vehemently against change as there was nothing wrong !

• 177 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:52 PM

Are you saying the experienced club captain Colo was simply following the rookie Haidara’s instructions and that’s why he left his man in the box?

I’m not saying the goal was Colo’s fault, but on another day, it would have been his man who would have put it in with an easy header, because, as is typical, Colo went AWOL.

• 178 WWSBRD // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:53 PM

Can McClaren not use his Man Utd connections to bring us Januzaj?

• 179 Ron Knee // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:53 PM

Are you American, by any chance? (I noticed ‘fit’ and not ‘fitted’.)

• 180 Jail for Ashley // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:54 PM

Wum troll,
    I thought you were from Llanfairpwllgwyngyll.

• 181 Ian Toon // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:55 PM

Sum troll- So it is rocket science!

• 182 Llort muw // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:56 PM

I’m not American lol. Just bad English from me I suppose. Sorry. ‘Fitted’ makes more sense.

• 183 Llort muw // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:57 PM

Lol, is that a punt at Welshie? I’m from England mate. 🙂

• 184 WWSBRD // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:58 PM

When do we play Man Utd? Soon isnt it?

• 185 Turks Head // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:59 PM

Just sitting here waiting for the next Charlie Austin article.

• 186 Ian Toon // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:59 PM

he was going to Sunderland on loan – pulled in the last few days.

• 187 Llort muw // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:00 PM

Next Saturday mate, it’s on BT sport if you’ve got it!

• 188 spaghetti bandit // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:00 PM

We play man utd nxt Saturday early ko on BT

• 189 dok - the horrid colonial // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:01 PM

please tell me when I “slagged off the locals”? for the love of god, please do not confuse me with Ciaran… I stated I believe everyone has their own decision to make, and I never told anyone to do otherwise.. is this, you are right,… I recall talking to BandB about her choice to give up her ST, I said that had to have been one of the toughest decisions to ever make,..

all I know, is this.. I support this club, like I support my teams here… sad that I even said I humbly apologized for any offence taken, was not the way to handle it, but when continually harped about your “superiority” to fans abroad, well, that is a shame… maybe instead of turning up your nose, teach overseas fans what it means to be a supporter, welcome them, instead of acting like a snob perhaps? again, I do apologize for reacting to snide comments, that is on my head…

for the record, I never once asked to ban you, its a blog, in fact only once have I emailed Ed, and it was in response to a certain poster using homosexual epithets at me… feel free to ask Ed….

anyway, not that it matters, ill still support my club, with or without this blog…

• 190 WWSBRD // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:03 PM

Cracking because they dont look up to all that much currently, we might be able to get something from them before Memphis hits the ground properly and Bastion regains full fitness

• 191 Ibizatoon // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:03 PM

Did the fan unrest make Ashley change his ways? Who knows for sure. It’d probably be fair to say it was a combination of things (assuming he’s changed his ways of course…).

Not sure what his interview was about though, other than to get fans back onside.

I do think, if nothing else, the boycotts showed a lot of people that, if wanted, the fans CAN do something. That for me was worthwhile.

The fans have needed some sort of spark. Whatever it was, is, I don’t really care. I just cannot stand seeing an abused and downbeaten fan base, which is how it seemed to me.

Blackley…One thing before I go. Your statement “to satisfy their hatred of the owner” is just your opinion. It’s not based on fact. You’re completely wrong. You may not understand or agree, fair enough, but try not to assert things you don’t understand. It just complicates things.

Can we all move on again now? Tsunki worked his magic. It’ll only end in tears.

• 192 Jib // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:03 PM

Llort muw
    You seriously telling me folk haven’t worked out your name is Troll wum backwards

• 193 JackButler // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:04 PM

Still not sold on Januzaj, looks great one game and well below average the next

• 194 dok - the horrid colonial // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:05 PM

before jumping on top of me as well, read above, from what others have said, I do believe I am allowed to have an opinion…my god, its like a witchhunt here… “if youre not from here, your opinion, your support is worth absolutely nothing”…

• 195 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:05 PM

Swansea will get found out this season

• 196 dok - the horrid colonial // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:06 PM

you’ve got my email, hit me up, id still like to stay on contact with you

• 197 Llort muw // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:06 PM

I had no idea lol.

• 198 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:07 PM

I thought that looked like Welsh words, lol

• 199 WWSBRD // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:07 PM

Tbf mate he is about 12 years old and had the weight of all Man Utd fans thrust on his shoulders, thats quite some pressure. Id have him with us no problem certainly in a permanent transfer

• 200 WWSBRD // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:08 PM

Atleast he is honest about being a troll

Fingers crossed on Swansea being found out bud

• 201 davis_toons // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:08 PM

My thoughts …
    Mbemba was careless. I believe he was nervous and wanted to keep himself calm and compose and as usual he went for the high ball but didn’t expect that Soton fellow to Jump so freaking high.

The next moment he is awake…Its their 1st start together and they will understand more as they play along. We should hope for that to happen… been a long time now.

Stop worrying about players that are starting its the players that are bought in at a certain cost that is not starting…

• 202 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:08 PM

Yes, I’ve argued against Ashley ‘s detractors in the interests of balance and what I consider to be realism. Yes, I’ve questioned the validity of a lot of what’s been thrown at him. But that doesn’t mean I haven’t been highly critical too.

You seem to want it both ways. On the one hand Ashley is only in it for the money and doesn’t give a damn about anything else, especially not the fans. On the other hand, it was the fans who forced his hand not the prospect of losing £100m of revenue per season indefinitely. I think it’s obvious what the motivational factor is.

By the way, I’m still waiting to see the horse for the cart. A lot of people are getting carried away with recent changes. I knew a few signings and a little bit of pre-season optimism would keep the fans happy for a while. At one time the blog was all about boycotts to get rid of Ashley. You can’t even put a rein on the optimism now without being damned as a negger.

• 203 cestriasteve // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:09 PM

Ian Toon,

I hope so and I also want to see if Cabella is any better in the No.10 position behind Mitro. As much as I’m a big De Jong supporter, we need to see him making an impact in the coming months. Cabella played his best games there apparently.

• 204 cyprus // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:10 PM

I and others have been trying for years to analyse, examine, disect my team’s performance and you, Dennis Twice, put what I’m trying to say, precisely and succinctly every time. Hats off mate, this one’s for you:

Attack toon attack attack!

• 205 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:11 PM

Was Memphis taking a rugby league conversion?

• 206 Ibizatoon // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:11 PM

Dok…Likewise. Don’t be a stranger on here though. Just put it (the blog – Nobody start getting twitchy) in a place that works for you.

Now take your Yank ass and go watch some “football” 😉

• 207 JackButler // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:12 PM

there’s raw talent there, no doubt about that, but what that develops into is anyones guess.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d take him as we are short on bodies and he does have something about him but what that is I don’t know 🙂

• 208 BandB // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:12 PM

It really is pretty loathsome to see the people who a slyly making common cause with the Ashley diehards trying to bitch-slap Ibizatoon off the blog.
    Ibiza is getting it in the neck for some for crossing the floor. As usual is the ones who bitch but don’t have the guts to commit doing most of the smartarse stuff.
    Ibiza. The support network is all on the optimists side. The cynics are generally lone wolves you can’t trust as far as you can kick. They will co-operate for an easy kill, if there is something in it for them. usually with a view to dragging off the corpse behind your back.
    They are not generous people.

• 209 Llort muw // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:13 PM

I’m not a troll lol. I’m a long time reader! The name is a joke guys :/

• 210 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:14 PM

Watching Memphis playing makes me feel we signed the right Dutchman in Gini

• 211 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:16 PM

Dok @189
    I think you’ve picked me up wrong. I’m not accusing you of anything other than throwing vile insults at me. I didn’t know why. I just didn’t respond to them because I don’t need to.

I’m not questioning your support for the club or your fanship. I’m explaining the reasons I made the comments I did because they have led you to dislike me. I’ve not said you made the comments. I can’t even recall who I was debating with, what if anything you said to me or what I said to you.

• 212 WWSBRD // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:16 PM

Be fun watching him develop in black and white like haha but am sure the Man Utd lot would say the same, I suppose you could argue Aarons has that development spot for us but hey ho

Kemen out the door yet? Or are we still hopeful of him staying in our reserves?

• 213 WWSBRD // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:18 PM

…ur not from Burnley are u?

Just u wait

• 214 spaghetti bandit // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:18 PM

chill pal your post is as valid as anyone’s,, we’re all here for tha same reason,, discussing tha team we love,, for the record I think it’s quality ppl from all over the world decide to support tha team where I’m from and tht get too know about tha passion of the geordies and how we are the best fans in the land for all different types of reasons.. Pretty much how I buzz off newcastle this yr getting voted the number one city to visit this yr in th guardians newspaper poll,, I think too many of our supporters see ppl who aren’t from here like we view man u fans as in they’re from everywhere but manchester and not knowing enough or anything about th club but jus for the fact alone out of all the teams to call your own you choose the biggest ever let down under achieving club going n share our yearly pain is canny sound and commendable ha..

• 215 Ibizatoon // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:19 PM

BandB…Thank you for saying something…but be careful…I might be bad for your rep.

The internet, what a place! Hopefully catch you on here soon.

• 216 welshgeordie9 // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:20 PM

Swansea will get found out, so you keep saying, chelsea aka the champions couldn’t do it so what does that say about the rest of the teams.

• 217 JackButler // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:20 PM

His arrival could put Aarons chances back and no one wants that.

Kemen is a real strange one as everyone seems to wants him as he’s regarded as a real tallent (not seen anything of him myself) but if he’s such a tallent why is he coming to the end of his deal with us? Have the club dropped the ball yet again? Or does the lad want something thats not realistic?

• 218 WWSBRD // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:21 PM

Oh are we finally rallying against Ibiza?! What a day to be alive! But where was my invite? I got no pitch folk delivery service

• 219 BandB // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:22 PM

My rep Ibizatoon?

Oh yeah, I lose sleep over my blog rep.

• 220 spaghetti bandit // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:23 PM

My thoughts exactly

• 221 Llort muw // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:23 PM

Why Burnley out of everywhere? Haha. So random. I’m from Blackburn, you were kinda close I guess.

• 222 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:23 PM

Ibiza @191
    It is my opinion that many fans wanted boycotts and relegation to satisfy their hatred of the owner and to get rid of him. You say I shouldnt make assumptions. You assume I am targetting you and only you. I am not. How can you know that many fans were not so motivated?

• 223 JackButler // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:24 PM

having not been on here until late in the day and not catching up with previous threads, have you gone and upset the “Hollier than thou league”?

• 224 Ibizatoon // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:25 PM

Yo…Pitchforks! Do you know what, the boycotts had a serious lack of them for my liking.

Anyway, I am going for real now. Pending a quick refresh of course.

Pizza awaits. Have a good night one and all. Well most of you. Well, some of you are alright I guess. Actually….oh look, there’s the doorbell.

• 225 dok - the horrid colonial // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:25 PM

bygones be bygones perhaps… I do apologize for the insults, if you can do the same, for the holier than thou attitude?

thanks, means a lot to me… looking forward to going in march to SJP, be the best trip of my life methinks… hopefully, ill fit in haha

• 226 WWSBRD // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:26 PM

Hmm if we brought in someone amazing I wouldnt mind Aarons dropping down the pecking order if am honest haha

If Kemen is as good as everyone thinks it really goes against the Ashley model if we lose him for next to nothing so am not sure that he actually is that good BUT much like u I dont often watch our reserves and the French under 19s so who the hell knows what he is like….no doubt someone on here will be an avid fan and explain he is the next Pirlo then we will never hear about Kemen again

• 227 BandB // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:26 PM

Why do you think being targeted by you is something to be dreaded?
    I have all the right blog enemies and Mike has all the wrong blog friends.

• 228 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:27 PM

I agree with Spaghetti @214 except I don’t think too many of our supporters are skeptical of fans from abroad. For the reasons Spaghetti says, I think we welcome them.

• 229 JackButler // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:28 PM

Maybe he has that “Potential” thingy, you know the same one that Aarons has more of than Sterling who has still to reach his 😉

• 230 welshgeordie9 // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:29 PM

Who’s your blog enemies, it can’t be me you are my hero.

• 231 WWSBRD // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:29 PM

Ah its not worth explaining bud, lets just say Ive been hurt before

Haha enjoy ur paella pizza u lil Spanish loving magpie u!

• 232 WWSBRD // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:30 PM

Haha oh I do love the Aarons has more potentail that Sterling thing, football opinions are a wonderful thing

• 233 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:31 PM

BandB @227
    I like you as a poster. But by god you don’t half lose me off at times. You see things deep in the under currents that I don’t see. I’m often stumped as to how to respond.

• 234 spaghetti bandit // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:31 PM

No worries,, who we playing when ya over in March,, really hope you see tha cathedral on the hill the same way I do,, hope we’re flying high pushing for a european spot aswell..

• 235 JackButler // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:34 PM

Well, LVG has spent over £200 million at Man Utd and to say theu look average would be an understatement

• 236 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:35 PM

I have no problem in apologising if I come across with a holier than thou attitude. I don’t mean to come across that way. I don’t believe I’ve got one although I’m sure some people will never be convinced. I know I get picked up wrong, but many people do on here. It’s the nature of the medium.

• 237 Ron Knee // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:36 PM

Two ho-hum performances from Manure to earn them 6 points!

• 238 Ibizatoon // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:36 PM

Damn you quick refresh…

BandB…Don’t we all? Take care.

Blackley….Each and every one I spoke with shared the view. I discussed the issue with quite a few people too. I agree not all though, so I should give some leeway with my comment. I didn’t assume you were targetting me, but I was part of the collective you are targetting.

I’d say there are few who, if Ashley really changed things, would not get past what went before. The truth is they do just want what is best for the club. Is the bad feeling deeply ingrained? I’ll speak for me, yes. I’ve found the last period of time under Ashley completely unnecessary. There has been no need for it. That I do have a big issue with, but have no problem with second chances. They have to be sincere though. As always, time will tell. As of today, I’m not convinced. Some improvements though, which are of course always welcome.

I did just re-read your comment before submitting. Of course we wanted rid of Ashley, not exactly a hard one to figure out. It wasn’t about satisfying a hatred though, as you suggest. It’s to get Ashley out, as we didn’t believe him to be good for our club. Please change it around Mike, wouldn’t that just be grand?

• 239 Llort muw // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:39 PM

Oh you on about that Burnley kid? I won’t bother you if it’s personal.

• 240 WWSBRD // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:39 PM

LVG is stealing a living there, Moyes must be spitting everytime he sees how Man Utd are these days

• 241 WWSBRD // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:42 PM

Haha I was joking really bud but aye that Burnley kid lied on here and I just dont get the lying thing…much like I dont really get the troll thing. So if u are either likelihood is we wont get on but time will tell

• 242 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:44 PM

BTW I can’t imagine I’d ever associate anyone with Ciaran.

• 243 JackButler // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:45 PM

I know he’s done well in the past but a can’t understand why they went after him!!!

Of the potential list of replacements for Moyes LVG wouldn’t make it into my top 10, maybe it was because they believed they had to bring in a name the fans would get behind? Who know’s. All I know it will be fun to watch them fail again, personally I hope Arsenal win the league and that Jose throws a paddy and storms off into the sunset

• 244 Ian Toon // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:45 PM

Jack – I agree. But that said they have got 6 points and winning breeds confidence. They look a lot stronger defensively with Smalling looking a different player.

• 245 WWSBRD // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:45 PM

Aww I miss Ciaran

• 246 davis_toons // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:52 PM
    Great Video …nice analysis.

• 247 dannitoon // Aug 15, 2015 at 7:13 AM