The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

These Dutch Masters Can Terrorize Defenses This Season

8:51 am, Friday, August 14th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 19 Comments

It was really difficult last season for Siem de Jong,  who suffered a severe torn thigh muscle in September, and then when he was finally recovering from that,  he suffered a collapsed lung last February, for which he received immediate surgery, and he was finally getting to some kind of fitness towards the end of the season.

But nobody would have wished that horrific set of injuries on any new player at the club, and along with Newcastle’s terrible fall down the league in the second half of last season, it must have been a very difficult first season for the Dutch International and former Ajax captain.

siem de jong

Siem de Jong – difficult first season

But things are now much better and Siem has been fit since pre-season began,  although Steve McClaren is taking his time in giving Siem playing time, which is good because we don’t want him to break down again.

Currently Gini Wijnaldum is playing in the number 10 role,  and he’s also a very good player but the two Dutchman should be able to play together in the same starting eleven.

Here’s what Siem has said today:

“I feel strong – I just need to play games.” “It’s been a long while since I’ve played games. It’s just getting games in.”

“Of course, I’ve trained a lot, especially in the first half of last season when I had the injury.”
“I came back stronger and got the other injury.”

“That drained a lot of energy out of me – I lost a lot of weight.” “It was hard to recover, and I think I did well.”

“Just before the end of the season I was getting stronger, but I just wasn’t strong enough to play the whole game.”

“I didn’t think it was wise to play too much at the end of the season.” “It was important to get a new pre-season in. I’m getting stronger every day.”

“Mentally, it was a tough season as well,”  “I’m glad that I’m back on the pitch training again and playing.”

“The more you play and train, the stronger you get. Also, mentally it helps to be back with the team. That’s good.”

“It’s a long season, and hopefully we can have a good start.”

Those are good words from Siem, who is a leader both on and off the pitch, and it will be good to have him involved in the first team, and it helps that Steve McClaren knows all about the player from his time in Holland with FC Twente.

McClaren has talked about Siem today:

“Siem was my nightmare when I worked in the Netherlands.” “The time he was at Ajax, he was, along with Christian Eriksen (at Tottenham now), the best player in the Eredivisie.”

“They’re two quality players.” “People are probably are wondering ‘can they play in the same team?’. ”  “Gini can play in any position around the midfield area.”

Gini and Siem are two very good players, and good players can always play together.

There’s no doubt they can both play for Newcastle in the starting line-up – the only question is which positions they will play in.

But Gini, as Steve says,  can play any position including as a box-to-box midfielder,  which we have never had since Yohan Cabaye left the club in January of last year.

To have two Dutch Masters in the same team cannot be bad, and both can also score goals – so our midfield is going to be strong this season – and they can both score goals too.

Sounds good to us.

Tags: Coaching · Georginio Wijnaldum · Injuries · Newcastle News · Pre-season · Premier League · Siem de Jong

19 responses so far ↓

• 1 Yorkshire Magpie // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:54 AM

Laurent Robert 32 didn’t we sign 7 players last summer? its not that we haven’t signed anyone its more that the quality of signings has not been up to the level needed

• 2 lochinvar // Aug 14, 2015 at 8:57 AM

Northampton in the League Cup?
    Load of Cobblers if you ask me

• 3 toonbrother // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:00 AM

unfortunately colocinni will terrorize our defence this season

• 4 toonbrother // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:02 AM

we have always had a great offence, last season we had cabella, sissoko, ayoze and cisse.
    This season we have one of the best offences in the league
    Gigi, Dejong, Mitro, cisse, Sissoko, Cabella, Arrons….
    Very few teams can boast of such firepower

However if Colo continues to play, we will continue to FAIL!
    I will be proven correct as usual, just watch

• 5 Jail for Ashley // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:02 AM

toonbotherer, have you taken me up on your bet

• 6 Llort muw // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:02 AM

ToonBrother

And your views will continue to terrorize the blog.

• 7 toonbrother // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:04 AM

I am happy to donate £100 to a charity of choice if we win a game in which colocinni plays 90 mins
    I will donate through just giving.

• 8 Jail for Ashley // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:06 AM

Ok, i will too, but you have to send the receipt to Ed as confirmation!

• 9 Jail for Ashley // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:07 AM

And give him permission to tell me he’s received it.

• 10 jazzyp // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:08 AM

Toonbrother

I got a letter from your mate yesterday telling us what the future holds for the toon……Did you get one from your bezzie mate ??

• 11 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:09 AM

Toonbrother

You said “we wont win if colo is in the STARTING LINE UP”. You are back tracking and changing the bet!

• 12 corkypants // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:10 AM

Seriously hope that Siem De Jong stays fit and gets decent game time he was a genius in holland similar to Dennis Bergkamp!!!!!

• 13 toonbrother // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:15 AM

Justgiving lets you record your name anyway so you’ll clearly see the donation came from Toonbrother
    Also this wager only applies to the first 5 games otherwise it is not symmetrical.

Anyone taking me up on the bet must donate £100 to a charity of my choice if we have not won a league game after 5 games with colocinni in the first 11

• 14 Santon03 // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:20 AM

looks like someone has his/her love rejected by Colo

• 15 will die for the toon army // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:23 AM

It’s going to take De Jong a long time to get back to his best.

Offessively we are ok.

With Gini, De Jong, Cabella, Sissoko, Cisse, Mitrovic, Aarons, Perez.
    Those guys are one of the best in EPL.

Its the defence am afraid of.
    Colo, Mbemba,Anita,Colback, Tiote, Dumett, Jannmatt.
    Good players but not quality dont compete in one of the best.

• 16 robmefirst // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:26 AM

Lascelles needs to step up as well. As CB, Colo, Mbemba, Taylor and Lascelles should be fine this season.

• 17 expatmag // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:29 AM

Blackley

I see your comments to TUFF a couple of threads ago regarding me calling you a liar.

First of all, I fail to see the need for you to involve me in your disagreements with TUFF. He is his own man and doesnt need me to support him in showing yourself as a numpty. You do a damn good job of that on your own.

Secondly, it could have been any number of posters who got you supposedly banned. At the time, you were annoying most people on this blog with your ridiculous attitude. Ed did us all a favour for a few days. Pity it wasnt longer. It was noticeable that your involvement in posts on your “return” was limited and very formal, trying to get people on your side. I see that you gave once again reverted to baiting the likes of TUFF into a row. It wont work.

Thirdly, Australia might be on the other side of the world but we are not a third world nation. I am able to watch EVERY Newcastle fame live here via your own SKYSPORTS channels. During the game against Southampton, the British commentators said word for word what you said on the blog and yet you tell everyone you are a season ticket holder and subsequently better qualified as a fan than some expat geordie like me who is only able to support their team through the media. What a load of codswallup!!!!!!! You are indeed a liar and a complete charlatan.

Finally, I will be making one of my rare trips to Newcastle between 18th Sep and 3rd Oct. U will ve attending the Watford and Chelsea games at SJP. Furthermore, I will be meeting TUFF for a couple if beers or coffees in your case. I would like to meet you at the venue of your choice and we can gave a further civilised discussion on the matter……AUSTRALIAN STYLE. Bring your season ticket along fir inspection as well.

• 18 The overrated Frenchman // Aug 14, 2015 at 9:35 AM

Are you going to glass him Expat?

• 19 Sav // Aug 14, 2015 at 11:06 AM

Seen more of Wijnaldum than I have of de Jong. Right now, I’d rather have Perez or Aarons playing for us. Everyone says de Jong’s a leader, a goalscorer, a brilliant player. Less hype please, that was in the Dutch league. Lets see it in action. Then we’ll know.

previous post: Newcastle Get Good Draw In League Cup