There’s a report in the Mirror today that the paper is calling an exclusive. that Newcastle will be signing long term target Florian Thauvin of Marseilles this coming week.
But after watching the 2-0 defeat at Swansea on Saturday afternoon, Newcastle’s defense is sill the big weakness, and we need to bring reinforcements in over the next couple of weeks.
Florian Thauvin – coming to Newcastle?
The Mirror report says nothing particularly new, other than they understand Newcastle are very close to getting a deal with Marseilles to sign the player, who we have been after for a few years now.
If previous news is to be believed then Newcastle have had a bid of £12M turned down by his club, and Marseilles want £15M.
The Mirror is reporting that Thauvin wants to join Newcastle, and that has helped in Newcastle’s pursuit of the player.
We assume a deal can be struck at a price somewhere between £12M and £15M, and the deal is said to be done this coming week.
There will be doubts among Newcastle fans after today’s failings in the first half at Swansea where again we conceded far too easily, and there was indiscipline in the side with Daryl Janmaat being sent off for two yellow cards in the 41st minute.
It brought back memories of John Carver’s short but disastrous reign on Tyneside this year, and that’s not good.
But it would be wrong to over-react to one game – and it’s only our second game of the season.
The fact the team we drew 2-2 with last week – Southampton – were beaten 3-0 at home by Everton didn’t help things either.
We all have to wait until we get a lot more games played, before we can see how good the team is that Steve McClaren is trying to build.
But one thing is clear, we need more players brought in before September 1st.