The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Talented Young Midfielder Staying At Newcastle

7:56 am, Saturday, August 15th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 12 Comments

19 year-old Olivier Kemen, who was born in Douala, Cameroon joined the club two years ago from French club Metz and is a very good young player, who is highly regarded at Newcastle.

There has been interest from various clubs in signing the teenager including AC Milan, Monaco, Tottenham and Liverpool.

Olivier Kemen +Newcastle Borussia MonchengladbachstEl

Olivier Kemen – on the bench against Borussia Monchengladbach

But it seems that Steve McClaren will not let him move anywhere this season as he wants to take a closer look at him, and he has already compared the 19 year-old with the combative Cheick Tiote, who has been at the club for five years now since he moved for £3.5M from FC Twente.

In his interviews yesterday Newcastle head coach Steve McClaren talked about the player who turned 19 only last month.

Steve was asked if Olivier’s future lay at Newcastle:

“ “Yes, definitely. He’s a good player.”I like him.” “I call him a young Cheicky, that type of player.”

“He’s come back late because of the France U19s. He’s been in and out of the first team, training with us.”

“But I like him. He’s still only young, and still got a lot to do.”

Olivier seems to have been unsettled a bit over the summer, but he was off with the France U19s, and was able to appear in only one pre-season game for Newcastle, when he came on after 58 minutes in the 2-1 defeat at York City.

Since joining us two years ago Kemen has played 27 times for the U21 team with two goals and three assists.

He’s a very good young player and at some point this season may be sent out on loan, but only after McClaren has taken a good look at him.

Tags: Coaching · Development squad · Newcastle News · Newcastle U21 · Newcastle Youth · Olivier Kemen · Transfer News and Rumours

12 responses so far ↓

• 1 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 15, 2015 at 7:58 AM

Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 15, 2015 at 7:56 AM

For me I think the lines are blurred there between being a supporter of the club and a pride and passion for the region and its history. I love where I am from, and will sing its praises to anyone I meet who is willing to listen. It is the only place in the UK I would want to move back to. But whilst it may give me a deeper understanding of the roots of the club I wouldn’t hold that above a supporter from elsewhere as to why I am a better fan.

In my mind, I’m just fortunate enough to have been born in such a wonderful city and area. So I guess I’m a luckier fan, and had the fortune to live in proximity as well as having a family that as a child indulged my love of the club and sport, and when I got older, lucky I had the means to continue going.

• 2 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 15, 2015 at 8:03 AM

How many people on here have watched Kemen regularly? I’ve seen him a few times, mainly using a stream and the odd occasion when I’ve been back in country. From what I have seen calling him a “young Cheicky type of player” is a huge injustice.

Other than the occasional rash challenge I see very few similarities in the two. Kemen looks far more a box to box midfielder than a holding midfielder who only has to break up play and play it simple.

• 3 jimmysmith // Aug 15, 2015 at 8:13 AM

Better or worse wouldn’t be adaquate words to describe the differences between fans, t think, and I’m not sure anyone is has claimed that. We are all immersed in the club, both it’s past and present differently, and we aren’t a homogenised group. Isn’t that true of all things..That sounds like a bit of a wank, but I’m not sure how else to put it.

• 4 jimmysmith // Aug 15, 2015 at 8:16 AM

posted, but it didn’t appear, because of a naughty word innocuously used. i guess it will appear later in the thread

• 5 will die for the toon army // Aug 15, 2015 at 8:25 AM

NuFc team it we hadnt sold our key players:

• 6 will die for the toon army // Aug 15, 2015 at 8:31 AM

6 – Still here
    5 – not here

• 7 Bobbybee // Aug 15, 2015 at 8:32 AM

Lil, ive watched kemen play for both our academy and u21’s pretty regularly. He might bear a passing resemblance to Tiote from afar, but he’s a better technical footballer. He has still got a lot to do imo, but this milan interest has clearly upped his profile by a canny amount. Another who could benefit from a loan period. Not ready for the PL yet.

• 8 reilly // Aug 15, 2015 at 8:34 AM

ive never understood this argument that beccause im born and bred from newcastle that i have more passion for the club ,than people who arnt.
    what about fans from south of the tyne gateshead/jarrow/ south shields, are they less passionate about the club no there not.
    it dosnt matter where your from.

• 9 hibbit // Aug 15, 2015 at 8:34 AM

i dont get all this crap if your lucky enough to get to games great but the guys who can not get to games for what ever reason is no less a fan ….some of the older ones on here will remember the 10 min flag …10 mins to go the gates were opened as many ran in as left just to catch a glimpse …we are all fans no one has the right to say trere better we all do what we can for the club we love

• 10 Jib // Aug 15, 2015 at 8:35 AM

Bobbybee says he has watched Kemen a lot and thinks the reason the club won’t totally commit is that his first touch is poor.

Those asking about Mehdi Abeid

Fortuna Dusseldorf (Bundesliga 2) and Panathanaikos are both interested in signing him but NUFC is playing hardball over the 12 months left on his contract.

• 11 Moonraker15 // Aug 15, 2015 at 2:24 PM

Believe it or not there are people born and bred in Newcastle who have no interest in football as is the case in other towns and cities.

I was born and bred in Gateshead and never even gave a thought to not being a Newcastle supporter since a boy in the fifties thanks to my family tradition.

It is good that the area gets referred to as Newcastle / Gateshead more now and that at last the south side of the Tyne has attractions that brings people to the area; I’m thinking of the Sage and the Baltic etc.

There are many supporters from further North such as Ashington and we all know the historic ties of that town.

So really it doesn’t matter where you come from but I think as you get older the emotional pull of the area is very strong and there is a fierce pride in this area which transmits to the football club and all we want is a club to be proud of. I have a feeling we are at last moving in the right direction.

• 12 Moonraker15 // Aug 15, 2015 at 2:36 PM

I moved away from the Newcastle area years ago and travel for home and some away games when I can get a ticket.

I have to say I have never had the same emotional commitment to the team in my adopted town although I recognise it in the locals.

It’s something about where I was brought up and all the family history I will never lose that.

There is no feeling like a winning goal for the Toon. That Wijnaldum goal (although not a winner) last week was absolutely fantastic and it was my grandsons very first visit to SJP.The look on his face when that went in was unforgettable!

Howay the Lads!