The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Could Be Signing The Wrong Players

3:41 pm, Sunday, August 16th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 199 Comments

Newcastle are said to be close to signing long term target Florian Thauvin from Marseilles, and it’s  for a fee that will be between £12M and £15M.

And with two weeks and a day left in the summer transfer window, we could be hearing that Newcastle will finally sign Charlie Austin of QPR, for a fee again somewhere between £12M and £15M.

florian thauvin

Florian Thauvin – signing this week?

But after two games played this season,  the Newcastle defense still seems to be our main weakness, and it has been for three seasons in which we have conceded a mammoth 190 goals in the Premier League.

We have conceded four goals in the first two league games with games at Manchester United and at home to Arsenal next up on the fixture list.

We wonder how many goals we will have let in after for games played?

As well as center-back being a weakness we also believe we could do with another top full-back coming in – on the left hand side.

While Massadio Haidara and Paul Dummett are decent left backs and may be improving,  it’s an area we can improve on, and we still don’t know why Davide Santon was allowed to leave the club on the final day of the transfer window in January.

So we would like to see a center-back and a full back brought in before September, but with Steve McClaren having decided Fab Coloccini is his captain, we doubt Steve will bring in another top center-back – but we do have hopes we can get a top full back in – and we need one.

Charlie Austin scored for QPR in their 2-2 draw yesterday, and he scored after 56 minutes and the London side were unlucky in that Cardiff equalized in stoppage time through Malone.

Sammy Ameobi, who said last week his target was to score 20 goals this season, came on for the final 8 minutes.

Charlie had this to say after the game when asked by Sky Sports if he would be transferred before September 1st:

“I don’t know to be honest. Like I’ve said the whole way through, I’m here to play and I’ll leave that to my agent and the owners of the football club and whatever they decide will be.”

“I’m focused on the job in hand. Every player wants to play in the Premier League and I would be lying if I said I didn’t want to be there, but I’ve got to work hard while I’m at QPR and try my best.”

Charlie is being extremely professional in what must be a difficult time for him because of the uncertainty.

It looks like we may sign a winger and a striker and maybe a full-back in the next couple of weeks.

But what we really seem to need is a center-back and a full back, based on our strengths and weaknesses of the first two league games, and also over the last three seasons.

What do you think?

Tags: Newcastle News · Recruitment · Scouting Network · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

199 responses so far ↓

• 1 jazzyp // Aug 16, 2015 at 3:43 PM

We all on here, at the matches can see the problems that continue to hold Nufc Back. So I would say by now 100% SM and his staff have pointed this out to the powers that be.
    we have a couple of weeks mate to see if the playing staff will be added to. Which will be a good indicator of where the apparent new regime we are under are going.

• 2 Tsunki // Aug 16, 2015 at 3:46 PM

Jazzyp – agree with the sentiments about such things taking time but there is a little snag in that the Premier League has it’s own timetable and will be sticking with it. I don’t expect there to be any leeway given to us as we shout ‘ wait for me!’. Poor Steve hasn’t got the luxury of time and he knows it. Three Windows or not, if the improvements don’t come quick enough we will likely find ourselves aspiring to be Norwich, Bournemouth or watford.

• 3 jazzyp // Aug 16, 2015 at 3:48 PM

Thauvin is currently playing for Marseille at this moment in time.
    I would have thought if a transfer was imminent surely he would have been pulled from the game today.
    I would hope we are prepared to pay this sort of fee to bring in a defender of note, as I don’t see Thauvin a necessity.

• 4 Tsunki // Aug 16, 2015 at 3:48 PM

I’m glad that Ed at least managed to give Charlie Austin a mention though

• 5 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 16, 2015 at 3:51 PM

A top strike partnership will hide a mutitude of sins.

Dummett and Janmaat can play CB, arguably their best positions. We don’t need cover for Janmaat and Haidara at full back; we need upgrades.

• 6 Tsunki // Aug 16, 2015 at 3:51 PM

Do on that morose note ( credits Ian Toon) I wonder just when is it that we should be expecting the brave new team that competes for titles or cups or better than average results to turn up? What’s the threshold? Should we be waiting until we’re 19 th in February before we start seeing the green shoots of recovery?

• 7 9 // Aug 16, 2015 at 3:51 PM

Repeat from previous thread: quiz time (only 2 questions)
    1 Who is the only Premier League team to have already conceded 3 headed goals this season?
    2 Which part of the team would any sensible person suggest we should improve our squad by transfer this month?
    Over to you, chaps.

• 8 jazzyp // Aug 16, 2015 at 3:53 PM

I agree before you know it we are mid season in a relegation battle. And catch up is the order of the day.
    but unless SM has the tools at hand mate nothing will change which is my point.
    Mashley has started the ball rolling in the right direction, Which in itself is a feet of optimism to behold. And as I said a few posts ago…….at the end of this transfer window will be a good indicator on how much he wants to “Bolt the Cart on”

• 9 Bambams // Aug 16, 2015 at 3:54 PM

Couldn’t agree more.
    We can all see the problem so no doubt Mac has.

In relation to Ed post re signing another winger and striker, this strongly suggests we already know who we are going to get to play CB and why we are looking at other areas.
    Which player fits most
    Height 6’4″
    In last year of contract (cheaper)
    Dutch (seem to be favourable atm)
    Within our pay scales
    Correct age
    Other clubs have targeted him but he hasn’t signed

Ehm….Van Dijk

I genuinely believe that he is who we are looking at and/or have already agreed deal

Time will tell

• 10 Ron Knee // Aug 16, 2015 at 3:54 PM

Wrong question. Which player (preferably mid-field!) is available with good sell-on potential?

• 11 Jib // Aug 16, 2015 at 3:55 PM

My research reveals

There has been 2 written questions relating to Wonga

No.202726 -26June2014

No.203476 -1July 2014

and one Early Day Motion

Could you please tell me the Act of Parliament

that restrained the shady practices of Wonga ?

Also in which court of law did Keegan’s claim against NUFC take place ?

thanking you in anticipation.

your friend Jib

• 12 Tsunki // Aug 16, 2015 at 3:55 PM

Blackley sorry but you’ve just taken two steps back. When you can’t get the ball far enough forward and with any accuracy to the top strike team, and the opposition is steamrollering our midfield and taking pot shots at our open goal, how do you see the multitude of sins being covered? We’ve got a completely hapless midfield and a disintegrating defence and you’re saying ‘ Bring on more Strikers!’ joke, right?

• 13 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 16, 2015 at 3:56 PM

A quality goalkeeper wouldn’t go amiss either. Bloggers are increasingly waking up to this.

• 14 Bambams // Aug 16, 2015 at 3:57 PM

I ain’t sure about this Thauvin. ..

True I have not seen him play and I have looked at as many DennisWiseTUBE videos as possible.

Just don’t see that spark, would of rather went for shaqiri

• 15 jazzyp // Aug 16, 2015 at 3:57 PM

On the second question to all and sundry the top priority is to bring in quality defenders. Willems would be an excellent addition as would Raphael at LB.
    A player who has been touted everywhere by his agent is Abdennour, and yet is still unsigned. I believe an offer of 17 mill was quoted as been offered.
    Hopefully mate this is still on the table

• 16 Marty-Toon // Aug 16, 2015 at 4:01 PM

Could Wijnaldum be used in Cabaye’s role?
    Lying deeper where Colback is,picking up the ball and spraying it around.
    Hopefully de Jong gets up to speed and they can get some game time together.

• 17 lesh // Aug 16, 2015 at 4:02 PM

I would’ve thought that strengthening our woeful defence would take priority veer yet another winger.

If the opposition don’t score, we don’t lose…. Or have I missed something?

• 18 9 // Aug 16, 2015 at 4:03 PM

Cheers, I like you answer very much, but you have ignored the one adjective in my second Q!

• 19 Rotonda heights // Aug 16, 2015 at 4:04 PM

it was really scary comparing our team to swansea and how few of our players would get selected out of both squads.

After initially been impressed with carr I’m finding his selections becoming more and more bizarre.

Anyone of Van Dijk, Veltman, Matip, Dunk, Abdennour etc plus a top LB and a covering RB were absolute priorities, no ifs or buts.

No sign of any of them but still we’re linked to enfant terrible Thauvin, while we still have Cabella who’s done nothing to date.

Something is very wrong in the state of denmark.

For every cabaye, tiote, kemen, there’s an ever growing list of unshiftable cheap mediocity like riviere, obertan, gouffran etc.

Things have improved. That said, i would be an improvement on carver. 3 decent signings yes, better coaching yes. Requisite number of signings and in the right positions is still a fail, as is the perseverance with an all too underwhelming captain.

• 20 Noel Worst // Aug 16, 2015 at 4:06 PM

Could get Van Dijk and Michael Dawson for £12m.

Why can’t the fans run the club!?

• 21 welshgeordie9 // Aug 16, 2015 at 4:06 PM

Watching man city against chealsea, hope it’s a good game.

Who’s going to win this one guys.

• 22 Ron Knee // Aug 16, 2015 at 4:07 PM

Should have read the small print!

• 23 jazzyp // Aug 16, 2015 at 4:09 PM

Noel worst

If only mate…..If only

• 24 BeeGuy // Aug 16, 2015 at 4:10 PM

Swansea coach Monk wants two capable players at each position. NUFC have one decent CB of the four needed by a “small” club. NUFC have the two back-up DM’s on the pitch, with none better unless Titote revives. NUFC might have 3 capable full backs. Hard to say about what is upfront as the ball never goes there for any length of time.

• 25 jazzyp // Aug 16, 2015 at 4:10 PM

man city looking the brighter side at the moment. always fancy Chelski to sneak it tho

• 26 Sheikh MagToon // Aug 16, 2015 at 4:11 PM

What has happened to Lascelles? Training with England last season, now behind Williamson in the pecking order. We need to get him playing or send him out on loan again as he’s taking up space in the squad. McLaren must know him from his time at Forest.

• 27 Tsunki // Aug 16, 2015 at 4:12 PM

Jeff – you are correct, in my ardent haste to pound home my unfounded view of Wonga being less than reputable, I overstepped the mark, exaggerated if you like. I should of course have mentioned that they were merely investigated for Fraud after concerns brought up by the head of the Law Society, resulting in the independent body FCA restricting their practises to even more fair ones if that could be possible! Of course the FCA only say, in their words ” We are accountable to the Treasury – which is responsible for the UK’s financial system – and Parliament.” so no Act of Law no. Just legal force.

And you’re also correct in that ‘ court ‘ is such a misused word – perhaps I carelessly picked up such a claim from the likes of here –

it’s probably understandable because tribunals can be likened to courts, as they are also adjudicated and legally enforcing hearings.

Having these points clarified puts mike in such a better light I’m sure all will agree. I could look up the ruling where it was pointed out that Ashley and/ or his cohorts actually lied, but it will take all day on my phone, but it’s out there and I defer to your unequalled Googling skills to go find it yourself.
    I suggest now would be an opportune time to extinguish the fuse on that stick of dynamite.

• 28 Tsunki // Aug 16, 2015 at 4:17 PM

..and I hope I satisfied your anticipation Jeff. Reciprocally I also found great refreshment from reaffirming that you are indeed the same creepy snidey little snot gobbler hawking over others to see if you can catch them out. BEEP BEEP!

• 29 welshgeordie9 // Aug 16, 2015 at 4:18 PM

Man City look very good at the moment.

• 30 JackButler // Aug 16, 2015 at 4:19 PM

Seriously can’t understand why we are after players like Thauvin?

The flaws with our squad are obvious to anyone and everyone and yet we seem to be after everyone other than the players we actually need. Every manager talks about building from the back and our back line as the same today as it has been for the past fifteen years which is very poor bordering on downright pathetic.

Thauvin, for those who don’t know, at £12 million is overvalued by about £8 million and would be as useful as signing another Willo or Colo

• 31 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 16, 2015 at 4:21 PM

Carr gets a fairly easy ride on this blog. Let’s hope he’s got Mitrovic right. I’ve only seen a few minutes of him, so haven’t worked him out. Surely he’s our main man now? But what type of player is he? Would he benefit from Austin or Cisse? Mitrovic himself has said he’d welcome Austin here. That’s an unusual thing to say for someone who’s just arrived.

Wijnaldum and Sissoko were class in midfield in the first game. Anita and Colback were decent. If the hype about Aarons is to be believed, we’ve got a very decent winger too.

The blog got carried away on a wave of optmism in the first game, and I was called a negger for not getting swept up in it. There now appears to be a reality check following yesterday’s defeat.

I can’t hear a horse come galloping, and never expected it. Whilst I’m happy with what I’ve seen of the new lads, I want to see Austin, two upgrades at full back and a top GK. That should be enough to set us up for the season and not worry about relegation.

What worries me most at the moment is our new manager’s faith in old curly locks. Cant believe so many bloggers back him and berate Toonbrother.

• 32 JackButler // Aug 16, 2015 at 4:25 PM

Thauvin for 12 million?

van Dyjk for £10 million and £2 million for a Young understudy for Jaanmatt?

Hmmmmmm………………..wonder what’s the right thing to do???????

• 33 jazzyp // Aug 16, 2015 at 4:27 PM

Bring Ba back !!

• 34 Tsunki // Aug 16, 2015 at 4:28 PM

Blackley – previously I was a proponent if Carr being our go-to for all talent but I’m inclined to agree he’s far too empowered for our good. Also if he’s given the remit of getting players he thinks Mac needs and not the other way round, I’m afraid that we will continue with asking SM to keep bashing square pegs into round holes ad nauseam. I’m not sure about the boards fitness for purpose of this is why we’re trying to flood our midfield with oddballs and ignoring the glaringly obvious hole in defence. Oh. And Toonbrother was always destined to be right, given enough time. And that time us indeed fast approaching, perhaps as you say already upon us.

• 35 Tsunki // Aug 16, 2015 at 4:30 PM

Oh and Blackley, history in the making, I also agree about the required incoming. Even Austin even if it’s just to give fresh legs to all those cruddy Austin articles 🙂

• 36 sing in the corner // Aug 16, 2015 at 4:31 PM

I’m hoping thats just a stutter you’ve got!

• 37 Tsunki // Aug 16, 2015 at 4:32 PM

Jazzyp – but we’re not as good a team as when we had him last time mate. I bet if he came back now he’d be struggling too.

• 38 jazzyp // Aug 16, 2015 at 4:32 PM

I was hoping a certain Poster would respond…..Time yet lol !!

• 39 JackButler // Aug 16, 2015 at 4:33 PM

Saw it.

Ignored it.

• 40 welshgeordie9 // Aug 16, 2015 at 4:33 PM

Good goal by city, outstanding in this first half.

• 41 Tsunki // Aug 16, 2015 at 4:34 PM

Jeff I’ve gotta go, leave your reply so I can swipe my rear with it later. In the meantime why don’t you use your searching powers to find a faster browser, you’re taking too much time to come up with a retort. 😉

• 42 jazzyp // Aug 16, 2015 at 4:34 PM

Good point. A sad fact for Nufc but true nether the less

• 43 JackButler // Aug 16, 2015 at 4:34 PM

For a big guy, who loves to put himself about and bully players, Costa goes down like a little girl having a tantrum

• 44 lochinvar // Aug 16, 2015 at 4:36 PM

Looks like Moanrinio’s got a headache. Better send for the Doctor.

• 45 sing in the corner // Aug 16, 2015 at 4:37 PM

Aye, make sure ye put 3rd Oct down in your diary. Cringeing at the prospect of playing Man City away the way they’re going at the minute.

• 46 AndyMac // Aug 16, 2015 at 4:37 PM

Here you go Tsunki. It was a Premier league tribunal sitting to discuss KK’s construvtive dismissal claim.

• 47 AndyMac // Aug 16, 2015 at 4:41 PM

As for signing the wrong players, the overriding policy of this club is to buy young, preferably cheap, with options for selling on at a profit, hence Gini, Mitrovic, Mbemba and Toney.

Austin is probably not in that same category as far as the skinflint billionaire is concerned ?

• 48 Jib // Aug 16, 2015 at 4:46 PM

Nice bang in the bugle for Cahill

• 49 JackButler // Aug 16, 2015 at 4:48 PM

Nice to see Chelsea players being kicked around for once seeings as they do it to everyone every single game

• 50 Jib // Aug 16, 2015 at 4:48 PM

Jose does not look a happy bunny

• 51 Jib // Aug 16, 2015 at 4:49 PM

I forecast a red card for Costa 2nd half – he’s raging

• 52 JackButler // Aug 16, 2015 at 4:49 PM

He’s never happy unless his side are winning, but they are being played off the park today

• 53 lochinvar // Aug 16, 2015 at 4:53 PM

Costa looking for a punch up in the tunnel – he might get that red card before the second half even starts !
    Would be so so so funny if the wheels come off at Chelski
    What odds Moanrinio is the first Prem Manager to get sacked this season ?

• 54 toon kk // Aug 16, 2015 at 4:54 PM

There’s some poor scouting going on at Newcastle compared to other clubs in and around us, we’ve forgotten pace and power for years. We can’t create f all.

• 55 Sir Braveheart // Aug 16, 2015 at 4:56 PM

I love watching people on here blowing up because Eds linking us to Thauvin, a player in a position we don’t need.

We’ve been linked to 300 players this window, we bought 4. Has no one learned not to trust rumours?

• 56 9 // Aug 16, 2015 at 4:59 PM

Sorry, guys, more Qs after the first half MCv Chelski:
    1 Mitrovic = Costa minus the goals (I know, I know, too early/ unfair….just saying)
    2 What does the supremely successful manager see in Willian?
    3 Is the undoubted world-class Mr Hazard actiually in Manchester at the minute?
    4 Whatver happened to Fabregas?

• 57 JackButler // Aug 16, 2015 at 4:59 PM

Sir Braveheart

The difference with Thauvin and the 300 other players we’ve been linked with is that we have bid for Thauvin, in fact, we have had several bids for for the lad turned down over the past 18 months, so there is truth to this story unlike the vast majority of the other links

• 58 Big Pappa Cissé // Aug 16, 2015 at 4:59 PM

The problem is we aren’t signing players in the right positions .

We ended the game against Swansea with the same CB pairing that we had in the Championship FFS .

Is it to much to ask for some new defenders so I don’t go into every game scared we will get hammered ? .

Collo, Willo & Taylor should be nowhere near the first 11 IMO, and Haidara looks like he will be added to that list if he keeps his poor performances up .

• 59 Jib // Aug 16, 2015 at 5:01 PM

You could see Jose thinking
    “Shit unless we get a goal from somewhere we are on the same points as the Toon !”

• 60 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Aug 16, 2015 at 5:04 PM

@Toon KK

Its funny but Pardew was crying out for pace , height and power for years and never got it bought for him !

Was never Pardews greatest fan but he had a point we have signed far too many lightweights even our powerful players like Sissoko dont get properly stuck in despite being built like a proper beast

Its going to be a long season with many lessons getting learned every week

We are always going to look like conceding goals so every team will know they have a chance and go for us which means we will be under intense pressure

Does anyone worry when Mclaren says he thinks the squad is great he actually means it? I mean our team on paper is miles better than the likes of Derby , Twente and Forrest who he managed last he may just have an ego thinking that he can get the best out of them ?

• 61 JackButler // Aug 16, 2015 at 5:04 PM

There’s something up with Chelsea, they are no where near what you’d expect from them and you have to think that the whole “Doctor gate” was a ruse to deflect from the poor performance against Swansea.

Seeing Jose fall on his face would be one of the great joys life can throw your way every now and then 🙂

• 62 Jib // Aug 16, 2015 at 5:06 PM

Terry subbed
    End of an era ?

• 63 WWSBRD // Aug 16, 2015 at 5:07 PM

Why did people expect that we would completely remodel our back line without losing anyone first?

LB we have Dummitt and Haidara
    CB we have Colo, Saylor, Willo, Lascelles and Mbemba
    RB we have Janmaat

Nothing is happening here until we get shot of someone just it might be a weakness but if the numbers are there its going to get ignored becuase thats how the club works under Ashley

• 64 JackButler // Aug 16, 2015 at 5:11 PM

That’s the problem mate, we know we have to lose at least two from our current back line to make room and free up wages etc etc etc………….but we don’t seem to be doing anything about that.

Colo being offered a new contract, Willo being priced out of a move to both Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday, you have to ask are we even looking to improve our defence or is SM happy to go into the season with what we have?

• 65 Big Pappa Cissé // Aug 16, 2015 at 5:16 PM

A well run club would have had at least two CB’s and possibly a left back before the season started so they could play with each other, however over here at NUFC we bring in one defender a week before the season starts and cross our fingers .

Hopeless .

• 66 WWSBRD // Aug 16, 2015 at 5:17 PM

Mate from Hoots onwards our manager hasn’t been happy with our defense u reckon McClaren is suddenly please with it?

Pards partially got his way in the for of Haidara who was highly thought of then got destroyed by a thug and has struggled since and MYM who he didnt want (and the club only bought because they thought Colo was on his way imo)

As for getting rid of them Willo is getting touted about but who is really going to want him at the price we will sell at? Saylor is pretty much locked here because who is going to buy him? And the club wont take the hit on wages for a season

• 67 lesh // Aug 16, 2015 at 5:19 PM

Sorry to sound like a wet blanket, but if there’s a deal done for Van Dijk, where is he then and why?

• 68 JackButler // Aug 16, 2015 at 5:27 PM

I don’t think SM is happy with it but that’s why I don’t understand why we are doing nothing to address it.

With Colo either SM was happy to retain him or the club have gone over his head and offered him a new deal, either way that is a worry as he’s no where near good enough and they are pricing Willo out of a move away which will hurt us long term. Saylors only chance at the club should come in the form of a squad player while if the young lad in from Forrest isn’t ready he needs to go out on loan.

The whole back four is a complete mess and has been for years and until it is completely overhauled results are not going to improve much.

I just hope that behind the scenes they are working around the clock to do something to out right what are glaring issues

• 69 Jib // Aug 16, 2015 at 5:27 PM

I was under the impression that Virgil van Dijk was on his way to Soton

• 70 9 // Aug 16, 2015 at 5:27 PM

Jib @59
    True, but at least our centre halves haven’t conceded 3 headed goals (ALREADY!!)

• 71 WWSBRD // Aug 16, 2015 at 5:35 PM

Cant magic up a place to send them though mate amd the management clearly think they should be getting money for losing them

Am alright with Colo staying he has suffered from his partnerships mainly but he still a good defender reads the game well and has a lot of experience to impart, should he be starting every game? No but just because he is old is he finished? No every player has their weaknesses its about solving them with their partner and I still think him with Mbemba will be a good partnership

We know what the club is like and how it is ran, I really dont get why people are were expecting so much more. I dont think the club are working all that much behind the scenes to sort out the defense atm

• 72 AndyMac // Aug 16, 2015 at 5:40 PM

Note that Citeh’s ground capacity of 54k at the Etihad today, 2k more than SJP

• 73 Noel Worst // Aug 16, 2015 at 5:41 PM

What’s happened to Ivanovic? Torrid start to the season for him.

Can’t wait for Jose to unravel this season, probably end up in a loony bin.

• 74 Noel Worst // Aug 16, 2015 at 5:44 PM

Watching other matches, St James Park is a comparitive morgue to a lot of atmospheres presently.

• 75 AndyMac // Aug 16, 2015 at 5:44 PM

Jose would have to section himself as nobody else is qualified as far as he’s concerned 😉

• 76 9 // Aug 16, 2015 at 5:44 PM

…………..and Sterling, HOW much?

• 77 toon kk // Aug 16, 2015 at 5:44 PM

Let’s get one thing straight, Stevie Mc will be under similar restrictions to Pards, he’ll have to be very careful what he says, he’ll have to agree with things he doesn’t actually agree with and won’t be able to pick any player he likes. Resale value will always come first.
    We’re in for a long hard season through stupidity and ignorance.

• 78 Jib // Aug 16, 2015 at 5:44 PM

According to the Italian press this Sunday

Thauvin is a done deal.

• 79 Jib // Aug 16, 2015 at 5:45 PM

He plays for us according to this

• 80 AndyMac // Aug 16, 2015 at 5:46 PM

“Watching other matches, St James Park is a comparitive morgue to a lot of atmospheres presently”

Thats because they’ve generally got summat to shout about ! The noise at Leicester was pretty good

• 81 JackButler // Aug 16, 2015 at 5:47 PM

It come to a point where the club have to bite the bullet otherwise we will be left with Willo rotting in the reserves so surely it would be better to take negotiate with the likes of Leeds or Wednesday to get him off the books while bringing in some revenue even if it’s not the amount they want to allow the club to progress.

I’m not against Colo staying by any means, though I do question the decision in him retaining the armband.

What gets me is if we do pay £12 million for Thauvin then that type of money could have a far bigger impact on results if it were spent in the right areas. We still only have a single right back at the club and will now see a midfielder covering for Jaanmatt while he serves his ban..

The ability to get deals done is still under question and something has to give if we are to progress as a club

• 82 Jib // Aug 16, 2015 at 5:48 PM

Above Chelsea on goal difference

• 83 9 // Aug 16, 2015 at 5:49 PM

I admire your faith in our current centre half pairing. How many headed goals do you reckin it is fair to concede, on average? Would one and a half per game suit?

• 84 JackButler // Aug 16, 2015 at 5:49 PM

Chelsea being made to look very ordinary right now

• 85 Ron Knee // Aug 16, 2015 at 5:51 PM

The Curse of Carneiro.

• 86 Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund // Aug 16, 2015 at 5:52 PM

Get a damn CM playmaker

• 87 AndyMac // Aug 16, 2015 at 5:52 PM

Looks like a regurgitation of another article as its almost word for word.

and yup we’ve moved up a place to 15th thanks to Jose and his merry men 😉

• 88 Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund // Aug 16, 2015 at 5:55 PM

That doesn’t say anything about a done deal. States ‘nearing the arrival of’. No more information than any other article in the last couple of days.

• 89 WWSBRD // Aug 16, 2015 at 5:56 PM

Difference in our view is mate u are looking at it as a football club am looking at it like a business….which do u think will win out with our owner ship?

And the club arent trying to progress bud they are aiming to hit mid table and stick

Ur judging a CB partnership on around 130mins played together? And 1 of those headers Mbemba was playing RB not CB.

Tell me do u think Mitrovic will never score for us and get at best a yellow a game? Wini will get a goal and then not show up to the next game?

Early days is what am saying

• 90 Graeme // Aug 16, 2015 at 5:57 PM

Oh well – on the bright side – we are currently above Chelski in the table!!!

• 91 doofa the loofa // Aug 16, 2015 at 5:57 PM

Ahead of the champs.. cant be bad.. thanks mike.. 🙂

• 92 JackButler // Aug 16, 2015 at 5:59 PM

Maybe I’m taking Ashley at his word, maybe my desire to see our club move in the right direction has overtaken what I hope would happen and what will more than likely happen.

Guess we’ll have to wait and see 🙁

• 93 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 16, 2015 at 5:59 PM

Like Colo, Ivanovic is past it.

• 94 will die for the toon army // Aug 16, 2015 at 6:00 PM

I wld be happy with one more CB for competition. Abdennour for £15m.

• 95 9 // Aug 16, 2015 at 6:02 PM

Yup, I’m judging our centre half partnership on their current performance. You got a better method?

Of course I’m judging Mitrovic way, way too early_ I really, really hope I’m on here apologising for this at some future date. Still…….only saying.

• 96 JamesToon // Aug 16, 2015 at 6:03 PM

Finish off the window with Thauvin, Guerreiro/Willems, Van Dijk, Byram and I’m sure we’ll all be happy.

People say they are seeing signs from last season and are therefor having a panic attack and going mental at McClaren. OF COURSE WE’RE GONNA SEE SIGNS OF LAST SEASON!!!! BE PATIENT NOTHING WILL BE FIXED OVERNIGHT!!! oh and…ITS ONLY 2 FCKING GAMES

• 97 WWSBRD // Aug 16, 2015 at 6:04 PM

Oh mate taking Ashley at his word? I will have a bottle of whiskey waiting for u bud, the grass may not be greener on my side of the fence but my word its more peaceful

• 98 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 16, 2015 at 6:05 PM

Why did Carr scout Lascelles? Surely this lad should be challenging for a place? Either that or he’s another Carr dud.

• 99 sparky55 // Aug 16, 2015 at 6:10 PM

Really don’t get the Thauvin thing…it’s a huge amount of money (in our terms) for a player who plays in a position we already have three of and not proven in the premiership…just the poncey french league which is full of lightweights and spineless tw@ts.

All of you that have been supporting Colo must surely now see the writing is on the wall with that aging muppet and the decision to extend his contract and keep him at the club has got go down as an even worse decision than bringing in shefki Kuqi.

Colo acts like s striker when he’s defending our own 18 yard box…whenever a ball is whipped into our box he runs into space and leaves the opposing strikers with more space than they ever get in the premiership.

Colo is proper pants and needs to be retired and then we’ll stand some sort of chance of keeping a clean sheet.

Keeping a clean sheet wasn’t so important when we had shearer and all his partners over the years at the other end…but we’ve only got Cisse and 2 premiership rookies now so clean sheets are imperitive so why not forget Thauvin and buy 2 decent defenders for god’s sake!

• 100 lochinvar // Aug 16, 2015 at 6:12 PM

Role reversal and a new track from Moanrinio:
    Him: Oh doctor, I’m in trouble.
    Her: Well, goodness gracious me.
    Him: : For every time Arsene Wenger
    Is standing next to me.
    Her: Mmm?
    Him: A flush comes to my face
    And my pulse begins to race,
    It goes boom boody-boom boody-boom boody-boom
    Boody-boom boody-boom boody-boom-boom-boom,
    Her: Oh!
    Him: Boom boody-boom boody-boom boody-boom
    Her: Well, goodness gracious me.

• 101 WWSBRD // Aug 16, 2015 at 6:13 PM

Well mate am glad ur not a scout is all am saying, or a manager the team sheet ripped apart and thrown away after every loss?

Cahill, Terry and Zouma all on the transfer list for ya mate? Haha maybe am being over the top but Id argue its to push my point.

All am saying a game and a half a partnership does not make…specially when they likely struggle to communicate currently

• 102 sparky55 // Aug 16, 2015 at 6:13 PM

Byram’s going nowhere, dick van dyke is going to Southampton, Willems is crocked but there are plenty of good defenders out there if we’re prepared to spend the money

• 103 toon kk // Aug 16, 2015 at 6:13 PM

I’m sure nearly every fan with out spending ridiculous amounts of money given the opportunity could put a better squad together than ours, there’s been a lot of money wasted on the wrong type of players at Newcastle for a long time. We’re in a mess and it will take more than three signings to overcome.

• 104 9 // Aug 16, 2015 at 6:14 PM

Sparky @99
    Careful, lad, this sounds suspiciously like common sense: not sure how some on here will react to that!

• 105 sparky55 // Aug 16, 2015 at 6:17 PM

fcuk it…you’re right…I’ll take the dog for a walk

• 106 9 // Aug 16, 2015 at 6:18 PM

“a game and a half a partnership does not make” – I entirely agree with you, mate. Does it tell us anything at all (3 headed goals in 2 matches….)? If we are not judging on performance then what, pray, are we judging on? Future potential (Colo, really?)
    Over to you.

• 107 lochinvar // Aug 16, 2015 at 6:22 PM

No second card for Man City Kompany in identical foul to Janmaat
    So the Refs are not influenced by where they are, who the player is or the importance of the money with the top clubs….. Mmmm
    Come on FA sort it !

• 108 9 // Aug 16, 2015 at 6:28 PM

Didn’t see Kompany incidents, but nobody can deny the justice of Janmatt’s sending off (I realise this doesn’t address your issue of consistency).
    ps For how long has this Montero been unplayable, as he clearly seems to be right now?

• 109 lochinvar // Aug 16, 2015 at 6:28 PM

Souness on Sky reckons Mourinio subs John Terry to make point to Abranovic that he wants more players and a new CB
    Not a bad idea Stevey is it ?

• 110 JAMSHA // Aug 16, 2015 at 6:32 PM

Thauvin DeJa Vu

• 111 doofa the loofa // Aug 16, 2015 at 6:33 PM

Common sense out….

• 112 lochinvar // Aug 16, 2015 at 6:34 PM

9 are you Seven of Nine or just Nine ?
    Anyway we agree – no problem with Janmaat getting the card but having just watched the City game you wonder if the Refs work to the same set of rules. Let’s see what happens at Old Trafford and the a Emirates in future games against all clubs … Sort of think I know the answer

• 113 Transfer Sage // Aug 16, 2015 at 6:40 PM

Well what I have seen from the two opening games doesn’t encourage me but also doesn’t fill me with dread, could be worse but could be a lot better.

As for another CB I can’t see it, we have 5 on the books now so even if willo goes I doubt we’ll buy another this window. Extending Colo’s contract before giving him a 5/6 month run to prove himself for the new manager seems very strange to me given his poor form during his time here .

We could see a defensive improvement from the team playing better as a unit and working together more but I doubt we will given the shambolic nature of how they perform at the back individually.

Not see. Much of thauvin but wish we had gone for shaqiri, proven in top European competition as a very capable player who can turn a game on his own.

In order of preference Id now like to see a CB, right winger and cebtre forward but can’t inagine we’ll sign the defender.

• 114 Novocastrian66 // Aug 16, 2015 at 6:41 PM

9; no other ref would have done what Jones did yesterday. This has been proven somewhat by both of today’s matches. I’m not defending Janmatt here He shouldn’t have gave the ref a chance. However I still say his sending off was harsh.

• 115 stan anderson // Aug 16, 2015 at 6:44 PM

Just imagine if we had the Mancs squad at St.James,s.
    You would not get a sniff of a ticket.
    How lucky those fans are to be able to watch such good footballers.
    Just makes my blood boil to think we have the slug owning our club.
    So envious of Mancs.when ilook at what we have in our team.
    Ashley OOT

• 116 Novocastrian66 // Aug 16, 2015 at 6:45 PM

Collo was given a new contract because Palace were sniffing. Fact. We obviously do not have any centre halfs on hold waiting to come in a such, as we would not have offered him a new deal.

• 117 sparky55 // Aug 16, 2015 at 6:49 PM

Novo…makes a lot of sense that…but let’s hope you’re wrong

• 118 Ron Knee // Aug 16, 2015 at 6:50 PM

If we must import from France I’d rather see Rolan than Thauvin. Paired with Mitrovic, they’d make a good attacking duo.

• 119 Bambams // Aug 16, 2015 at 6:52 PM

The difference between the two teams from this season compared to last is not great in terms of players, more or less the same bar Mbemba and Wini.

But had we gone down to 10 men with Pards or Charva at the helm I genuinely believe we would of conceded at least 4 goals .

We have been patient for 45 years, 6 months won’t make the hurt any worse.

Mind you if after this window and the following two more (as suggested by management we are going to be actively recruiting) have not made ‘significant ‘ progress in out team……

Well I am not going to incite further rants on here.

Ash last chance saloon

• 120 9 // Aug 16, 2015 at 6:53 PM

I totally agree, the signs are management think we have all the centre halfs we need.

Current results suggest otherwise, unfortunately. Ho hum.

• 121 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 16, 2015 at 6:55 PM

Evening TS mate 🙂

…I think the Colo deal was in order to keep him at the club or otherwise he would be gone!

You’re right that might mean the club don’t want to buy another CB, and if that’s the case then they haven’t really learned anything…which is quite sad actually!

• 122 Novocastrian66 // Aug 16, 2015 at 6:56 PM

Doesn’t say much for Lascelles when Iron Mike is on the bench ahead of him.

• 123 Ron Knee // Aug 16, 2015 at 7:01 PM

It’s beyond belief they’d want to keep him!

• 124 9 // Aug 16, 2015 at 7:10 PM

Say all you like about Willo, he can head a ball.

3 headed goals in 2 games……………

• 125 9 // Aug 16, 2015 at 7:12 PM

(ducks under parapet)

• 126 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Aug 16, 2015 at 7:21 PM

Well if I was Van Gaal next Saturday I would be playing Fellaini and Rooney up front with Depay and Young on the wings and totally bombarding us with crosses into the box but at the same time if I was Mclaren I would be doing the same with Mitrovic and Perez up front with Aarons and Gini on the wings

• 127 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 16, 2015 at 7:25 PM

Ron…I think the worry was he would leave this window. I don’t mind keeping him only next season. – it’s Willo and Saylor I want gone 🙂

• 128 nufc 11 // Aug 16, 2015 at 7:27 PM

Look at Micah Richards performance against Manchester utd he had disire commitment and balls you need that to be a good pl player. Out frn an obvious few non British players don’t want or not willing to do the dirty side of being a pl cb Colo is the worst culprit and mbeama will only pick up bad habits playing with him. I for one would have a whole team of British players in my bk 4. Colo haidara janmatt were all midfielders growing up the were never defenders and it shows they think and act like midfielders pretending to be denfenders.

• 129 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 16, 2015 at 7:28 PM

*until next season

• 130 Ron Knee // Aug 16, 2015 at 7:36 PM

His leadership qualities and commitment will be greatly missed when he finally goes!

• 131 overtheline // Aug 16, 2015 at 7:36 PM

Agree that Palace sniffing around forced the club’s hand. So Pardew’s put one over on us again. And as noted above by Jesper and others it means the club were not actively looking for either a replacement or an additional CB upgrade. That is seriously depressing. At this stage of his career Colocinni will deteriorate and not mature.

Repeat – we need three quality players and of those – two classy defcnders and not just young players with promise and a good sell on value. If Dunk is good enough then get him in. Otherwise – spend the money on Abdennour or someone in that class. There’s any number of decent CBs we’ve been associated with – and who have on pitch leadership qualities unlike Colo – and we certainly need quality and not learner FB cover too. Shifting Mbemba outside is not an alternative for having a dedicated FB. We need him as CB.

• 132 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 16, 2015 at 7:40 PM

nufc 11…Xenophobia is a nasty thing mate!

• 133 Tsunki // Aug 16, 2015 at 7:40 PM

Btw andymac cheers I couldn’t place where the report was. Jeffs just a tick that gets dug in sometimes.

• 134 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 16, 2015 at 7:44 PM

Ron…it’s sad how much we need another CB and it not being the main priority by the club!

…that and a forward (preferably one who can play out wide)

And then SM need to stop playing 4-2-3-1. Where’s the 4-3-3 we were promised?

• 135 Tsunki // Aug 16, 2015 at 7:44 PM

I’m not a Colophile by any means but it’s lack of fitness and a lack of familiarity with Mbemba that’s the issue here. It should get better.

• 136 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 16, 2015 at 7:47 PM

Tsunki…it’s the same this blog lack ay times…hope it gets better to 😉 lol

• 137 Tsunki // Aug 16, 2015 at 7:48 PM

I hasten to add better but not great. Still need more defensive cover ofc.

• 138 jasper // Aug 16, 2015 at 7:55 PM

As Bambams seems be offline I’ll suggest on his behalf that it is most likely that van Dijk will not move until Celtic know for certain whether or not they are going through to the CL group stage. The final preliminary round is completed on the 28th.
    The will probably sell then come what may because even if they qualify they know that they won’t get any further.

• 139 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 16, 2015 at 7:55 PM

When something like this is happening and you don’t speak up it just makes you complicit and a opportunist and it makes us fans look like fools.

Ppl like you, Pards and Carver have to go. This should be standard practice at the club.

You got to admire a coach who leaves for the right reasons…

• 140 mickalfas // Aug 16, 2015 at 8:13 PM

Can SM get the combover out of his eyes and sort the defence out
    £12m for another French tw*t,better off selling all the shite from France what we have now,and investing in the defence and a shit hot DM
    Charnley needs a slap!!
    Ashley OUT!!

• 141 Munster Mag // Aug 16, 2015 at 8:15 PM

Rotunda i have been making same point for 2 yrs. Carr is huuuugely overrated. If steve cant see that colo as captain, on the pitch all the time, isnt an error then we may be in trouble. Mbemba will improve but i have a feeling that he is all pace and rash tackles and lacks calm intelligence in twrms of his defending

• 142 jazzyp // Aug 16, 2015 at 8:15 PM

Just listened to Mourinho’s comment’s after the match and I think I can say he is already turning into the biggest C@ck of the season already.
    the man is so far up his own orifice it makes Penfold’s arse licking of Ashley look tame

• 143 Toon fm Exeter // Aug 16, 2015 at 8:16 PM

My first toon game was sept 18th 1965 we beat burnley 3-2 seen us win the fairs cup in 69 but have not seen us win a domestic trophy, probably won’t see one, we have never had a decent defence let alone a good one in all the time I have followed the toon. Why we persist in playing the dross that we have now is unbelievable , it’s not rocket science and everyone knows our weakness is we have second rate defenders who cannot defend and can not work together as a unit.instead of wasting money on rubbish wingers we should be spending money on a beast of a centre half who can defend unless one comes in shortly we will be fighting relegation again

• 144 overtheline // Aug 16, 2015 at 8:27 PM

The Hoops are still saying they haven’t accepted any offer for Van Dijk which confirms your view.. We need to be sensible here and get a serious offer accepted and all the precontract stuff sorted. He would be a genuine upgrade to a poor quality defence. Exchange Dunk for Williamson sure, but Virgil is a real talent. If Colo is capable of playing sweeper in front of the back 4 , as some have suggested, then he has a purpose – otherwise he’s competing for his place. Our current defence will pin us down two or three places above the relegation zone with their current rate of leakiness.

• 145 Jail for Ashley // Aug 16, 2015 at 8:28 PM

I see Andy Mac is posting, I can’t argue with what he says but I would find it very difficult to think I was posting under his name ?

• 146 Bambams // Aug 16, 2015 at 8:28 PM

Cheers for that fella, I could not have put it better .

• 147 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Aug 16, 2015 at 8:31 PM

I really worry Colo has too much say at the club it almost seems like we dont want to sign any players who will take his place or provide competition?

• 148 jazzyp // Aug 16, 2015 at 8:40 PM

Bunga party

You may be right there mate. Look at the transfer of Facunda last summer that was Colo’s recommendation.
    a cracking player he turned out to be for us…..Not !!

• 149 jane // Aug 16, 2015 at 8:50 PM

the CB situation is not as big a problem as many are making out. the problems are multi-faceted, there seems to be too much focus on one thing. our CBs are probably adequate if the team as a whole was better.

• 150 AndyMac // Aug 16, 2015 at 8:51 PM

Jail for Ashley // Aug 16, 2015 at 8:28 PM

I cannot disagree with you eith JFA. In two/three years time Fatman’ll be the Carson Yeung of the Premier league 😉

• 151 Ian Toon // Aug 16, 2015 at 9:06 PM

Toon fm Exeter @143
    Welcome. You mentioned the Fairs Cup victory in 1969 which was the last thing NUFC won. My father had a number of football programmes of the times and period you mentioned. Paul Joannou the NUFC official historian used to have a column in the match day programme which looked back at more successful times.
    We seemed to have a number of home International defenders on our books around the period you started watching. From the names of people blogging on here you will find a good number that will have shared experiences of better times for our football club.
    The following you will doubtless recall.
    Alwyn ( Ollie) Burton Wales
    Frank Clark England England
    John Craggs England England
    Dave Craig Northern Ireland
    Ron Guthrie England
    John McNamee Scotland
    Bobby Moncur Scotland
    NUFC ?

• 152 hibbit // Aug 16, 2015 at 9:14 PM

jane stick to knitting pet you know nowt about football are you having a moment jib or should i say jeffery

• 153 gazzaforever // Aug 16, 2015 at 9:14 PM

Are you out of your mind Thauvin is an average player. Meanwhile Ben Arfa is back in business, playing his best football with Nice. He s so good that everybody want him back in the national team. Just check what he did yesterday, he was on fire.

• 154 overtheline // Aug 16, 2015 at 9:15 PM

It’s the defence which is the major problem. You might add the DM – but our back four is not adequate and hasn’t been for years. The proof is in the goals against over the entire period since we got promoted.

• 155 cyprus // Aug 16, 2015 at 9:16 PM

Watched two teams today which made me envious. Still, watched two more which are about ourlevel:)

• 156 cyprus // Aug 16, 2015 at 9:20 PM

HBA is the only player who would have walked into the entertainers team. Dinosaurs like AP and Bruce couldn’t handle him. AP preferred Overtan!!!!!

• 157 Jib // Aug 16, 2015 at 9:21 PM

As a guideline , most situations at the club are nowhere as big a probem as the regular whingers make out.
    No doubt there’ll be the same types on Chelsea and Sunderland blogs crying that their footballing world is coming to an end.

• 158 nufc786 // Aug 16, 2015 at 9:29 PM

?Hatem Ben Arfa? Pre-Season ? OGC Nice ? 2015/16 ? HD

no video yet of HBA against Troyes

• 159 Ravostag // Aug 16, 2015 at 9:31 PM

Why oh why do we not wake up to the fact that we only have one centre half who is good enough???? We need at least 2 more and a full back but we seem obsessed with signing wingers, strikers and midfielders?? Even a blind man can see were we are going wrong. We have no pace at the back and no one who can head a ball, simple.

• 160 Mag52 // Aug 16, 2015 at 9:38 PM

Bunga Party.

I think you might well have hit the mark in suggesting that a decent CD would provide competition for Colo as a regular starter, so he’s objecting to the idea.
    Surely a board consisting of Moncur, Carr and McClaren ( forget Charnley) have a wealth of football experience, enough to be aware that it’s the defence that needs strengthening before we spend any money left in the kitty on a winger. Every blogger and his dog on here can see that after all.
    Colo’s trips home each January are not something any player could get away with are they ? I wonder if he’s acquired some behind the scenes influence.

• 161 Offkey // Aug 16, 2015 at 9:38 PM

I know everyone talking about height but I am pretty sure Williamson was often out jumped but shorter players. Our 6,1 cb was beaten by a 5,9 ayew. I would suggest it’s more about positioning, don’t get me wrong a tall lad who can leap and has positional sense would be ideal, but surely you only need two of three to be decent in the air.

• 162 Ravostag // Aug 16, 2015 at 9:39 PM

As an exiled Toon supporter who has to watch Mansfield Town, I went to Notts Clownty on Friday night and saw us murder them 2-0. Our two big lads at the back, 6ft 4 plus won every high ball (mind u Jon Stead was playing up front for Clownty). My point is those two lads were so committed that it made the hairs on your back of your neck stand up! Collo, Willo etc could have learned a few things and that was Div 2, Its all about desire, commitment and effort, something our back four is lacking.

• 163 Offkey // Aug 16, 2015 at 9:40 PM

OK, accepted that if he is two foot tall and has great positioning and a massive leap he still may not be that good in the air 🙂

• 164 Offkey // Aug 16, 2015 at 9:43 PM

Is there that much of a difference between 6,1 and 6,4. I am the former and every bigger fella I meet is generally not greatly athletic…….but I don’t hang with pro footballers…….thank goodness

• 165 Offkey // Aug 16, 2015 at 9:44 PM

Please don’t say 3 inches

• 166 Jail for Ashley // Aug 16, 2015 at 9:46 PM

Andy Mac,

• 167 OneAlanShearer // Aug 16, 2015 at 9:47 PM

So I recent seasons marseille have used thauvin centrally, on the wing and as a number 10 without huge success. I hope Graham Carr is right about him but deal is allegedly 17 million euros plus cabella on loan with a view to buy. The one thing I saw of him is he looked good at dribbling passed players reminded me very slightly in that respect of Edin hazard. He seems about potential but at the price quoted it’s risky. For that price I’d go for Nathan Redmond personally.

• 168 Laurent Robert 32 // Aug 16, 2015 at 9:49 PM

Gazza and Cyprus, well said. The scapegoating of Hatem being some sort obese Anti-Christ should be considered a crime against football for the dinosaurs who tried to brainwash the public.

Glad to see he’s started really well at Nice, entertaining the public with his brilliant style of play.

I’m still gutted that I can no longer witness his dribbling ability at our club, nevermind in an team which attempts to play with a positive attacking philosophy.

• 169 Toon fm Exeter // Aug 16, 2015 at 9:49 PM

Ian toon @151
    I remember them mcnamee was a clump of a centre half who took no prisoners Ollie burton would probably be sent off every 4th game if he played today, mind we always had good full backs in those days

• 170 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Aug 16, 2015 at 9:50 PM

I worry about getting Thauvin that it will be a disaster we need wingers who also like to get stuck in Swansea’s wide guys have great ability but they press the defence not allowing you out and also offer cover to the fullback

• 171 jimmysmith // Aug 16, 2015 at 9:50 PM

It’s certainly precarious though. We know that the group is fragile mentally, is full of untested and young players, and has a new coach who has some spectacular failures on his resume. Even so, you’d still think it was most likely to finish eighth to tenth, where its collective transfer value and wage bill suggest it will, and toward the better end of a fairly uninspiring and large group of moderate sides, and possibly do it with some style, and possibly even further surprise, if the attacking talent the club appears to have plays up to expectation.

• 172 gazzaforever // Aug 16, 2015 at 9:52 PM

• 173 TorqToon // Aug 16, 2015 at 9:55 PM

So it appears we might be coming to life again in this window. Fingers crossed. I’m not panicking yet, it’s still very early days. But we HAVE added quality to the side that’s for sure. If I could pick, I’d have a winger, full back (prefer one who could play either side) and a CB. But that’s just me being greedy!

• 174 overtheline // Aug 16, 2015 at 10:01 PM

Greedy to avoid a relegation scrap ?
    I’d say your pick is pretty much the minimum required to strengthen the squad – and if we are aiming for top 8 then that’s a different story.

• 175 Average_Contents // Aug 16, 2015 at 10:02 PM

Yes, I can see why people who comment about our defence and specifically the cb’s being the same as our championship season would be heralded as whingers.

Move on, nothing to see here, everything’s great. We don’t need new defenders. Why would we? It’s not like we concede goals for fun is it.

Give over you odious little spunktrumpet.

• 176 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Aug 16, 2015 at 10:08 PM

Funny thing is…

We still need him now even though he is slower but he STILL creates a shit load….

Plenty of videos of him doing magic at Nice.

Good luck to him.

• 177 jimmysmith // Aug 16, 2015 at 10:09 PM

I think Wijnaldum will soon be moved back, to compete for one of two positions along with Tiote, Colback and Anita, and opening up the attacking mid slot to be battled over by De Jong, Cabella and Peres. That would appear to encourage far greater competition.

• 178 Belfast // Aug 16, 2015 at 10:13 PM

Was looking at our starting 11 and comparing it to theirs earlier. Pretty confident if given the opportunity Gary Monk wouldn’t have picked any of our players in his starting 11.

That’s where we’re at. 🙂

• 179 jimmysmith // Aug 16, 2015 at 10:16 PM

…..and if they do sign Thauvin and Austin you might then assume that the club really is looking to score more goals as a basic tactic. To play on the front foot, and relieve the pressure the defence has too often been subjected too.

• 180 Nufc-83 // Aug 16, 2015 at 10:17 PM

A lot of sources saying thauvin deal done with cabella going the other way on loan with view to permanent deal.

• 181 Belfast // Aug 16, 2015 at 10:17 PM

The only debatable one for me personally would be Wini or Shelvey but Monk would pick Shelvey all day long.

• 182 OneAlanShearer // Aug 16, 2015 at 10:18 PM

IF we ate signing him as a right winger he does actually look like the player we need. I suspect sissoko is away if he is.

• 183 Belfast // Aug 16, 2015 at 10:20 PM

Probably the most pointless deal ever.

Like for like.

• 184 OneAlanShearer // Aug 16, 2015 at 10:22 PM

Jimmy agreed it does look we going for the best form of defence is attack. To be fair we need to do bloody something that’s for sure. I hope we keep investing as waiting for the next window is not the answer. That will see us in a relegation battle as it stands. If the finally buy enough to be competitive it will be a huge relief.

• 185 Belfast // Aug 16, 2015 at 10:22 PM

I’d rather give Cabella another chance to be honest or sign Redmond, Philips or Gray from Birmingham.

• 186 overtheline // Aug 16, 2015 at 10:24 PM

Season GF/GA
    2010-11 56/57
    2011-12 56/51
    2012-13 45/68
    2013-14 43/59
    2014-15 40/63

Aye right, Toon defence is top class, nae problem – just total exaggeration by whingers.

Only 6 clubs (including us in our 5th finish season) who have finished as the top eight in the last 5 seasons have conceded 50 or more goals (Liverpool scored 101 when they let in 50).

• 187 JamesToon // Aug 16, 2015 at 10:25 PM

I’d be more than happy to sign Thauvin HOWEVER Cabella should be given another chance the lad has ability and could show his best in our system under SM. would be very disappointed to see him go. We need strength in depth not buy to replace. Thauvin is a good winger with good control and skills and is actually a set piece taker

• 188 Nufc-83 // Aug 16, 2015 at 10:25 PM

From what I have seen if thauvin which is very little he looks replica of cabella with someone who is lightweight good technique but not blistering pace. Weird deal this.

As suggested would much rather go with a proven out and out winger such as Redmond.

• 189 OneAlanShearer // Aug 16, 2015 at 10:26 PM

Belfast – I don’t think it’s like for like thauvin has the ability to thread a pass through and go passed people. Cabella needs far more space and time and doesn’t have that passing in his game. Both light weight but I think thauvin could just make it. Cabella won’t in this league.

• 190 Jib // Aug 16, 2015 at 10:30 PM

Thauvin for Cabella certainly isn’t like for like.
    Thauvin’s close control and dribbling skills are truly breathtaking.
    I think we probably took RC last season as a poor mans Thauvin , hoping he might click and it failed spectacularly – merde se produit.

• 191 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 16, 2015 at 10:30 PM

Cabella and Thauvin are not like for like

Cabella is more of a number 10 player where as Thauvin is an out and out winger

• 192 Offkey // Aug 16, 2015 at 10:32 PM

No to left footers on the right wing please unless he can put in decent balls with his right foot.

• 193 jane // Aug 16, 2015 at 10:34 PM

Season GF/GA
    2010-11 56/57
    2011-12 56/51
    2012-13 45/68
    2013-14 43/59
    2014-15 40/63

GF looks as if it could do with strengthening.

• 194 Offkey // Aug 16, 2015 at 10:40 PM

Jane – yes, we all agree….defence, attack, midfeild and gk all need strengthening…….it’s just most defence is priority…..can’t argue with that personally.

• 195 Offkey // Aug 16, 2015 at 10:41 PM

Most think*

• 196 beermonkey // Aug 16, 2015 at 10:44 PM

I don’t think it would be a bad idea cabella going the other way if we can bring in a winger that cross the ball into the box
    we have perez dejong wini that can play the no10 role

• 197 AndyMac // Aug 16, 2015 at 11:07 PM

Jail for Ashley // Aug 16, 2015 at 9:46 PM
    “Andy Mac, Not sure how closely you follow the blog, but Jib/jeff has açcused you/me of posting under different aliases, I’m sure you could prove different !”

Dont even wanna try JFA. We’re here for the long term the Jib/jeff’s of this world come and go 😉

Keep the 5-1aith !

• 198 Sav // Aug 16, 2015 at 11:54 PM

If you had 15 million of Mashley’s money to spend, would you be spending it on a petulant, lightweight, French right winger?
    Errrr, no.
    A tested CB , 6’4″, who isn’t afraid to receive the ball or stand his ground would be the first thing you would want.
    Given that we already have Mitrovic, if they are determined to buy another striker and to sell Cisse, Berahino looks a better foil for the Serb or offers something different for similar money to Austin. I think Perez would also be an excellent foil as he works his socks off and has a great touch and instinct. More promising no.10 than de Jong and he has surely earned a shot at it.

• 199 benjohnsen // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:48 AM

The reason Newcastle has let in four goals in two games is not only due to a weak defence it is also due to the fact that Newcastle all over the pitch seem still not 100%. I think McClaren had a point with pre season schedule. Players arriving midway through. Not exactly ideal. Will not judge this team before it has gone 15 games at least. You can still see that there are lack of relation between players.

previous post: First Man Of The Match Award For This Player