Newcastle Could Be Signing The Wrong Players

Newcastle are said to be close to signing long term target Florian Thauvin from Marseilles, and it’s  for a fee that will be between £12M and £15M.

And with two weeks and a day left in the summer transfer window, we could be hearing that Newcastle will finally sign Charlie Austin of QPR, for a fee again somewhere between £12M and £15M.

florian thauvin

Florian Thauvin – signing this week?

But after two games played this season,  the Newcastle defense still seems to be our main weakness, and it has been for three seasons in which we have conceded a mammoth 190 goals in the Premier League.

We have conceded four goals in the first two league games with games at Manchester United and at home to Arsenal next up on the fixture list.

We wonder how many goals we will have let in after for games played?

As well as center-back being a weakness we also believe we could do with another top full-back coming in – on the left hand side.

While Massadio Haidara and Paul Dummett are decent left backs and may be improving,  it’s an area we can improve on, and we still don’t know why Davide Santon was allowed to leave the club on the final day of the transfer window in January.

So we would like to see a center-back and a full back brought in before September, but with Steve McClaren having decided Fab Coloccini is his captain, we doubt Steve will bring in another top center-back – but we do have hopes we can get a top full back in – and we need one.

Charlie Austin scored for QPR in their 2-2 draw yesterday, and he scored after 56 minutes and the London side were unlucky in that Cardiff equalized in stoppage time through Malone.

Sammy Ameobi, who said last week his target was to score 20 goals this season, came on for the final 8 minutes.

Charlie had this to say after the game when asked by Sky Sports if he would be transferred before September 1st:

“I don’t know to be honest. Like I’ve said the whole way through, I’m here to play and I’ll leave that to my agent and the owners of the football club and whatever they decide will be.”

“I’m focused on the job in hand. Every player wants to play in the Premier League and I would be lying if I said I didn’t want to be there, but I’ve got to work hard while I’m at QPR and try my best.”

Charlie is being extremely professional in what must be a difficult time for him because of the uncertainty.

It looks like we may sign a winger and a striker and maybe a full-back in the next couple of weeks.

But what we really seem to need is a center-back and a full back, based on our strengths and weaknesses of the first two league games, and also over the last three seasons.

What do you think?

• jazzyp

Aug 16, 2015 at 3:43 PM

Bambams

We all on here, at the matches can see the problems that continue to hold Nufc Back. So I would say by now 100% SM and his staff have pointed this out to the powers that be.
    we have a couple of weeks mate to see if the playing staff will be added to. Which will be a good indicator of where the apparent new regime we are under are going.

• Tsunki

Aug 16, 2015 at 3:46 PM

Jazzyp – agree with the sentiments about such things taking time but there is a little snag in that the Premier League has it’s own timetable and will be sticking with it. I don’t expect there to be any leeway given to us as we shout ‘ wait for me!’. Poor Steve hasn’t got the luxury of time and he knows it. Three Windows or not, if the improvements don’t come quick enough we will likely find ourselves aspiring to be Norwich, Bournemouth or watford.

• jazzyp

Aug 16, 2015 at 3:48 PM

Edd

Thauvin is currently playing for Marseille at this moment in time.
    I would have thought if a transfer was imminent surely he would have been pulled from the game today.
    I would hope we are prepared to pay this sort of fee to bring in a defender of note, as I don’t see Thauvin a necessity.

• Tsunki

Aug 16, 2015 at 3:48 PM

I’m glad that Ed at least managed to give Charlie Austin a mention though

• Blackley and Brownlie

Aug 16, 2015 at 3:51 PM

A top strike partnership will hide a mutitude of sins.

Dummett and Janmaat can play CB, arguably their best positions. We don’t need cover for Janmaat and Haidara at full back; we need upgrades.

• Tsunki

Aug 16, 2015 at 3:51 PM

Do on that morose note ( credits Ian Toon) I wonder just when is it that we should be expecting the brave new team that competes for titles or cups or better than average results to turn up? What’s the threshold? Should we be waiting until we’re 19 th in February before we start seeing the green shoots of recovery?

• 9

Aug 16, 2015 at 3:51 PM

Repeat from previous thread: quiz time (only 2 questions)
    1 Who is the only Premier League team to have already conceded 3 headed goals this season?
    2 Which part of the team would any sensible person suggest we should improve our squad by transfer this month?
    Over to you, chaps.

• jazzyp

Aug 16, 2015 at 3:53 PM

Tsunki

I agree before you know it we are mid season in a relegation battle. And catch up is the order of the day.
    but unless SM has the tools at hand mate nothing will change which is my point.
    Mashley has started the ball rolling in the right direction, Which in itself is a feet of optimism to behold. And as I said a few posts ago…….at the end of this transfer window will be a good indicator on how much he wants to “Bolt the Cart on”

• Bambams

Aug 16, 2015 at 3:54 PM

Jazzyp
    Couldn’t agree more.
    We can all see the problem so no doubt Mac has.

In relation to Ed post re signing another winger and striker, this strongly suggests we already know who we are going to get to play CB and why we are looking at other areas.
    Which player fits most
    Height 6’4″
    In last year of contract (cheaper)
    Dutch (seem to be favourable atm)
    Within our pay scales
    Correct age
    Other clubs have targeted him but he hasn’t signed

Ehm….Van Dijk

I genuinely believe that he is who we are looking at and/or have already agreed deal

Time will tell

• Ron Knee

Aug 16, 2015 at 3:54 PM

Wrong question. Which player (preferably mid-field!) is available with good sell-on potential?

• Jib

Aug 16, 2015 at 3:55 PM

Tsunki

My research reveals

There has been 2 written questions relating to Wonga

No.202726 -26June2014

No.203476 -1July 2014

and one Early Day Motion

Could you please tell me the Act of Parliament

that restrained the shady practices of Wonga ?

Also in which court of law did Keegan’s claim against NUFC take place ?

thanking you in anticipation.

your friend Jib

• Tsunki

Aug 16, 2015 at 3:55 PM

Blackley sorry but you’ve just taken two steps back. When you can’t get the ball far enough forward and with any accuracy to the top strike team, and the opposition is steamrollering our midfield and taking pot shots at our open goal, how do you see the multitude of sins being covered? We’ve got a completely hapless midfield and a disintegrating defence and you’re saying ‘ Bring on more Strikers!’ joke, right?

• Blackley and Brownlie

Aug 16, 2015 at 3:56 PM

A quality goalkeeper wouldn’t go amiss either. Bloggers are increasingly waking up to this.

• Bambams

Aug 16, 2015 at 3:57 PM

I ain’t sure about this Thauvin. ..

True I have not seen him play and I have looked at as many DennisWiseTUBE videos as possible.

Just don’t see that spark, would of rather went for shaqiri

Imo

• jazzyp

Aug 16, 2015 at 3:57 PM

On the second question to all and sundry the top priority is to bring in quality defenders. Willems would be an excellent addition as would Raphael at LB.
    A player who has been touted everywhere by his agent is Abdennour, and yet is still unsigned. I believe an offer of 17 mill was quoted as been offered.
    Hopefully mate this is still on the table

• Marty-Toon

Aug 16, 2015 at 4:01 PM

Could Wijnaldum be used in Cabaye’s role?
    Lying deeper where Colback is,picking up the ball and spraying it around.
    Hopefully de Jong gets up to speed and they can get some game time together.

• lesh

Aug 16, 2015 at 4:02 PM

I would’ve thought that strengthening our woeful defence would take priority veer yet another winger.

If the opposition don’t score, we don’t lose…. Or have I missed something?

• 9

Aug 16, 2015 at 4:03 PM

Ron@10
    Cheers, I like you answer very much, but you have ignored the one adjective in my second Q!

• Rotonda heights

Aug 16, 2015 at 4:04 PM

it was really scary comparing our team to swansea and how few of our players would get selected out of both squads.

After initially been impressed with carr I’m finding his selections becoming more and more bizarre.

Anyone of Van Dijk, Veltman, Matip, Dunk, Abdennour etc plus a top LB and a covering RB were absolute priorities, no ifs or buts.

No sign of any of them but still we’re linked to enfant terrible Thauvin, while we still have Cabella who’s done nothing to date.

Something is very wrong in the state of denmark.

For every cabaye, tiote, kemen, there’s an ever growing list of unshiftable cheap mediocity like riviere, obertan, gouffran etc.

Things have improved. That said, i would be an improvement on carver. 3 decent signings yes, better coaching yes. Requisite number of signings and in the right positions is still a fail, as is the perseverance with an all too underwhelming captain.

• Noel Worst

Aug 16, 2015 at 4:06 PM

Could get Van Dijk and Michael Dawson for £12m.

Why can’t the fans run the club!?

• welshgeordie9

Aug 16, 2015 at 4:06 PM

Watching man city against chealsea, hope it’s a good game.

Who’s going to win this one guys.

• Ron Knee

Aug 16, 2015 at 4:07 PM

Should have read the small print!

• jazzyp

Aug 16, 2015 at 4:09 PM

Noel worst

If only mate…..If only

• BeeGuy

Aug 16, 2015 at 4:10 PM

Swansea coach Monk wants two capable players at each position. NUFC have one decent CB of the four needed by a “small” club. NUFC have the two back-up DM’s on the pitch, with none better unless Titote revives. NUFC might have 3 capable full backs. Hard to say about what is upfront as the ball never goes there for any length of time.

• jazzyp

Aug 16, 2015 at 4:10 PM

Welshie

man city looking the brighter side at the moment. always fancy Chelski to sneak it tho

• Sheikh MagToon

Aug 16, 2015 at 4:11 PM

What has happened to Lascelles? Training with England last season, now behind Williamson in the pecking order. We need to get him playing or send him out on loan again as he’s taking up space in the squad. McLaren must know him from his time at Forest.

• Tsunki

Aug 16, 2015 at 4:12 PM

Jeff – you are correct, in my ardent haste to pound home my unfounded view of Wonga being less than reputable, I overstepped the mark, exaggerated if you like. I should of course have mentioned that they were merely investigated for Fraud after concerns brought up by the head of the Law Society, resulting in the independent body FCA restricting their practises to even more fair ones if that could be possible! Of course the FCA only say, in their words ” We are accountable to the Treasury – which is responsible for the UK’s financial system – and Parliament.” so no Act of Law no. Just legal force.

And you’re also correct in that ‘ court ‘ is such a misused word – perhaps I carelessly picked up such a claim from the likes of here –

it’s probably understandable because tribunals can be likened to courts, as they are also adjudicated and legally enforcing hearings.

Having these points clarified puts mike in such a better light I’m sure all will agree. I could look up the ruling where it was pointed out that Ashley and/ or his cohorts actually lied, but it will take all day on my phone, but it’s out there and I defer to your unequalled Googling skills to go find it yourself.
    I suggest now would be an opportune time to extinguish the fuse on that stick of dynamite.

• Tsunki

Aug 16, 2015 at 4:17 PM

..and I hope I satisfied your anticipation Jeff. Reciprocally I also found great refreshment from reaffirming that you are indeed the same creepy snidey little snot gobbler hawking over others to see if you can catch them out. BEEP BEEP!

• welshgeordie9

Aug 16, 2015 at 4:18 PM

jazzpyp

Man City look very good at the moment.

• JackButler

Aug 16, 2015 at 4:19 PM

Seriously can’t understand why we are after players like Thauvin?

The flaws with our squad are obvious to anyone and everyone and yet we seem to be after everyone other than the players we actually need. Every manager talks about building from the back and our back line as the same today as it has been for the past fifteen years which is very poor bordering on downright pathetic.

Thauvin, for those who don’t know, at £12 million is overvalued by about £8 million and would be as useful as signing another Willo or Colo

• Blackley and Brownlie

Aug 16, 2015 at 4:21 PM

Tsunki
    Carr gets a fairly easy ride on this blog. Let’s hope he’s got Mitrovic right. I’ve only seen a few minutes of him, so haven’t worked him out. Surely he’s our main man now? But what type of player is he? Would he benefit from Austin or Cisse? Mitrovic himself has said he’d welcome Austin here. That’s an unusual thing to say for someone who’s just arrived.

Wijnaldum and Sissoko were class in midfield in the first game. Anita and Colback were decent. If the hype about Aarons is to be believed, we’ve got a very decent winger too.

The blog got carried away on a wave of optmism in the first game, and I was called a negger for not getting swept up in it. There now appears to be a reality check following yesterday’s defeat.

I can’t hear a horse come galloping, and never expected it. Whilst I’m happy with what I’ve seen of the new lads, I want to see Austin, two upgrades at full back and a top GK. That should be enough to set us up for the season and not worry about relegation.

What worries me most at the moment is our new manager’s faith in old curly locks. Cant believe so many bloggers back him and berate Toonbrother.

• JackButler

Aug 16, 2015 at 4:25 PM

Thauvin for 12 million?

Or

van Dyjk for £10 million and £2 million for a Young understudy for Jaanmatt?

Hmmmmmm………………..wonder what’s the right thing to do???????

• jazzyp

Aug 16, 2015 at 4:27 PM

Bring Ba back !!

• Tsunki

Aug 16, 2015 at 4:28 PM

Blackley – previously I was a proponent if Carr being our go-to for all talent but I’m inclined to agree he’s far too empowered for our good. Also if he’s given the remit of getting players he thinks Mac needs and not the other way round, I’m afraid that we will continue with asking SM to keep bashing square pegs into round holes ad nauseam. I’m not sure about the boards fitness for purpose of this is why we’re trying to flood our midfield with oddballs and ignoring the glaringly obvious hole in defence. Oh. And Toonbrother was always destined to be right, given enough time. And that time us indeed fast approaching, perhaps as you say already upon us.

• Tsunki

Aug 16, 2015 at 4:30 PM

Oh and Blackley, history in the making, I also agree about the required incoming. Even Austin even if it’s just to give fresh legs to all those cruddy Austin articles 🙂

• sing in the corner

Aug 16, 2015 at 4:31 PM

Jazzy

I’m hoping thats just a stutter you’ve got!

• Tsunki

Aug 16, 2015 at 4:32 PM

Jazzyp – but we’re not as good a team as when we had him last time mate. I bet if he came back now he’d be struggling too.

• jazzyp

Aug 16, 2015 at 4:32 PM

Sing

I was hoping a certain Poster would respond…..Time yet lol !!

• JackButler

Aug 16, 2015 at 4:33 PM

Jazzy

Saw it.

Ignored it.

🙂

• welshgeordie9

Aug 16, 2015 at 4:33 PM

Good goal by city, outstanding in this first half.

1 2 3 5