Newcastle Reported Bid For Charlie Austin

With only two weeks left in the transfer window it looks like the interest in Charlie Austin of QPR has picked up and Director of Football and former Newcastle striker Les Ferdinand has said the London club have received two bids for Charlie.

But neither has reached the £15M that QPR want and they were not accepted, although Ferdinand says the bids weren’t turned down – which is a strange comment.

austin against charlton

Charlie Austin – in action this season for QPR

It’s thought that one of them was from Newcastle United, and we are still favorites with the bookies to sign Charlie, and currently at 11/8 with SkyBet.

This is what Ferdinand has told BBC London:

“When you look at what Christian Benteke went for, I don’t think we’re pricing him out the market. Ferdinand claims QPR have received ‘two firm bids’ from clubs but not at their level.”

“I wouldn’t say they’ve been turned down – we spoke to the clubs but they have not met our valuation.” “It is not a foregone conclusion that he will go.”

“The rumors won’t stop until the transfer window closes.”

Not sure what Les means by saying we wouldn’t say we have turned them down.

Maybe they haven’t turned them down so if a bigger bid doesn’t come they will accept one of them that has already been made.

24 year-old Christian Benteke left Aston Villa to move to Liverpool for a whopping £34M, and it seems another case where the Reds have grossly overpaid for a player, and we’ll not even mention the £28M they also paid for Brazilian midfielder Roberto Firmino.

The other club interested in Austin are West Ham,  and there is another report in London today that they have made a bid for the 26 year-old.

This is the saga of the summer, but with two weeks left – this will come to an end soon.

That will come as a relief to a lot of our readers.

🙂

• Belfast

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:30 PM

Phew I was getting withdrawal symptoms.

• Belfast

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:31 PM

I think he’ll go to Leicester in the final hours of the window.

• Belfast

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:32 PM

Just letting everybody down gently. Cmon chin up !!

• Ibizatoon

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:33 PM

Ed….I guess it’s a case of, its not our valuation, we’ll leave them on the table in case a better offer comes in.

My guess is he will move, but later in the window. That is assuming buying clubs wait until then before moving on to other targets.

• Mister Tuff

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:33 PM

They are obviously hoping for a higher bid. Who blinks first.

• Belfast

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:33 PM

Everybody is so excited about this article they’ve all went home.

• Ibizatoon

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:34 PM

Sorry Belfast. Didn’t realise you had this space reserved.

• Our Toon

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:34 PM

Nufc 11

Michael Dawson is in his 30s mate, we should stay well clear

• Belfast

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:34 PM

Oh a few undesireables have entered now….

• Ibizatoon

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:36 PM

OurToon…Don’t pay attention to Belfast. I’m sure someone finds you desirable.

• bettyswallocks

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:36 PM

Ryder does an article in the chron saying we have ended our interest in Austin, then 5 mins later Ed says we’ve put a bid in. WTF I mean really WTF.

• Toon-Prodigy

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:37 PM

The chronny have just reported we have ended our interest?

Could be to call there bluff I suppose.

Here is the article

• Ibizatoon

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:37 PM

betty…It’s a puzzler. Ed and Lee are my two, go to, sources for the latest credible transfer news.

What’s the world coming to?

• bettyswallocks

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:38 PM

Breaking News …… Austin is still a QPR player.

• bettyswallocks

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:39 PM

Ibiza….. I think it’s still touch and go as to who will sign him.

• Mag_jack

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:40 PM

If this ‘eventually’ happens cisse must be on his way

• Toon-Prodigy

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:40 PM

Like Ferdy says it will go on until the end of the window.

Then they will just accept who has bid the most. It won’t be 15 mil.

• Ian Toon

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:40 PM

Ashley missed out on the re- sale profit on us not signing Bonny as one example . This guy could well double in transfer value in a couple of seasons – he’s only 26. Why pay £5 million for someone else who has not played at the same level and any potential profit is highly questionable ?
    It might not matter to the majority of our fans but provided you trust your scout/ coach then I am surprised Ashley has not changed Carr’s modus operandi .

• bettyswallocks

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:41 PM

Better if it was Steve Austin, the he could be dismantled and everyone have a piece.

• Belfast

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:42 PM

Leicester in the last few hours of the window, because it’s the only deal on the table.

Leicester was always his number one choice and so on and so on.

Ends…..

• Ibizatoon

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:43 PM

betty…Austin? For sure. Race is wide open from where i’m sitting.

I’m not too fussed on him either way. Would never turn my nose up at a 10+ goal striker (want to say 15+, but can’t be bothered to check my stats 🙂 ). Still, I’m holding out for defensive players to judge how I feel about this window. It’s been a huge problem and for me to even beginn to think things are changing, I want to see that addressed. It’s glaringly obvious to pretty much everyone and their mothers.

• JAMSHA

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:43 PM

Boycott Eds Blog till the transfer window gets over…for misleading Headline

• Ibizatoon

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:45 PM

Ian…The issue is for every Bony, there is an Obertan. Wait a sec, we’re still holding out on wor Gabby, aren’t we? He’ll come good, this is his season.

In that case, as you were.

• Ibizatoon

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:46 PM

Jamsha…Good shout. You get us started, the rest of us will follow 🙂

• Toon-Prodigy

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:46 PM

I think he really wants to come here or West ham, not Leicester. Maybe Spurs also.

Even if we offer 10 over their 12 I still think they will have to accept it because of The destination he prefers. Doubt he will join Leicester.

• Big Archie

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:47 PM

So what makes you think that Newcastle have bid Ed? You make no mention of that whatsoever.

• DaraghL

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:49 PM

Who? Is this a new link? 😉

Imagine if we actually did sign Thauvin, Abdenaour and Austin in one day…I would need to call in sick from the shock.

• jayphoto

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:49 PM

not entirely sure NUFC ever had an interest?
    Newcastle are a club agents like to name drop when negotiating transfers and contracts as we have the resources to pay transfers and higher wages.
    Naïve of Ferdinand to compare Austin to Benteke though. Numerous differences. Benteke had 4 years on his contract for 1 and has the strength to create something on his own. Played well in an awful villa team. Is 2-3 years younger than Austin too.
    Austin relied on service, hes more of a poacher. He’s also failed 2 medicals, one on his knee and one on his shoulder which gives concerns. With 1 year left on his contract I think QPR do well to get 12m for Austin.

• JAMSHA

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:51 PM

Ibizatoon

realy..i was like exicted an then i see no quotes no prof we have bid …ed has done this many time lol

• jayphoto

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:52 PM

Can see Austin signing for Spurs. True they’ve signed Berahino and N’jie but along with Kane that still only gives them 3 strikers. Reckon they’ll want to go into a season with 4. Failing that, West Ham desperately need a striker. Can’t see Austin moving this far north. 15 Years ago in the keegan years then maybe, but realistically he’d be no worse off joining west ham than Newcastle with where the clubs are atm.

• bettyswallocks

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:55 PM

I think Austin will either sign for us or West Ham or Leicester or Tottenham or Bournmouth or Sunderland or Watford or Norwich. I don’t think any of the top 4 are in for him , but you never know, they may be playing their cards late.

There of course always the possibility that he could sign a new contract at QPR or even just stay there and see out his contract. Who knows?

• Belfast

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:55 PM

Haha Ed and his misleading headlines ?

There was an article on another blog criticizing Ed a few weeks ago about his misleading headlines or “Ed lines” as they called them. I defended him and he’s threw me under the bus regularly from this incident. 🙂

• Belfast

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:56 PM

I’m saying nothing in future lol

• Our Toon

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:57 PM

Ibiza

Ahahaha yeah I’m sure some does find me desirable.

No thanks on Austin, 15m on a player who’s out of contract at the end of the season is desperation, we only play 1 upfront.

• nufc 11

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:59 PM

And Lascelles is in his 20’s I know who id rather have in my squad. We have 2 Cb no that dont know how to head the ball. Dawson maybe in his 30’s but he knows how to defend and can organise a back 4 unlike others we have that think their midfielders of some sort.

• Ibizatoon

Aug 17, 2015 at 4:01 PM

Belfast…Still whoring yourself around other blogs? Sick individual that you are.

“Ed Lines” gave me a chuckle.

Jamsha…It’s got to the stage where I’m surprised if an article does have any quotes in it.

What’s more surprising to me is when people are surprised by Ed’s “Ed Lines” and subsequent content. If people still get caught by his headline then I’m not sure they can be helped 🙂

• Toon-Prodigy

Aug 17, 2015 at 4:02 PM

Austin won’t stay at QPR. If I was him i’d reject the contract offer. For his well being he needs to be in the Prem and for the Euro’s next year.

NUFC need to make a decent offer, we will get him for 8-10 on the last day. QPR will have to let him go to the club he wants to. If he gets over 15 goals next season his value will double.

• bettyswallocks

Aug 17, 2015 at 4:02 PM

Ed ……. Please can you do 2 polls. One on whether or not people think we will sign Austin . And one on how much we think is a realistic valuation for him. Many Thanks.

• Ibizatoon

Aug 17, 2015 at 4:05 PM

betty…A third poll, if I may? To find out how many people would like the Austin stories and polls to stop?

• Belfast

Aug 17, 2015 at 4:07 PM

Our toon I was talking about Ibiza. You’re desirable and he’s undesirable.

Ibiza yep plenty of “Ed lines” from that incident. Even articles with dead blokes tweeting transfer news. 🙂

1 2 3 7