The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Reported Bid For Charlie Austin

3:27 pm, Monday, August 17th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 244 Comments

With only two weeks left in the transfer window it looks like the interest in Charlie Austin of QPR has picked up and Director of Football and former Newcastle striker Les Ferdinand has said the London club have received two bids for Charlie.

But neither has reached the £15M that QPR want and they were not accepted, although Ferdinand says the bids weren’t turned down – which is a strange comment.

austin against charlton

Charlie Austin – in action this season for QPR

It’s thought that one of them was from Newcastle United, and we are still favorites with the bookies to sign Charlie, and currently at 11/8 with SkyBet.

This is what Ferdinand has told BBC London:

“When you look at what Christian Benteke went for, I don’t think we’re pricing him out the market. Ferdinand claims QPR have received ‘two firm bids’ from clubs but not at their level.”

“I wouldn’t say they’ve been turned down – we spoke to the clubs but they have not met our valuation.” “It is not a foregone conclusion that he will go.”

“The rumors won’t stop until the transfer window closes.”

Not sure what Les means by saying we wouldn’t say we have turned them down.

Maybe they haven’t turned them down so if a bigger bid doesn’t come they will accept one of them that has already been made.

24 year-old Christian Benteke left Aston Villa to move to Liverpool for a whopping £34M, and it seems another case where the Reds have grossly overpaid for a player, and we’ll not even mention the £28M they also paid for Brazilian midfielder Roberto Firmino.

The other club interested in Austin are West Ham,  and there is another report in London today that they have made a bid for the 26 year-old.

This is the saga of the summer, but with two weeks left – this will come to an end soon.

That will come as a relief to a lot of our readers.

Tags: Newcastle News · Recruitment · Scouting Network · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

244 responses so far ↓

• 1 Belfast // Aug 17, 2015 at 3:30 PM

Phew I was getting withdrawal symptoms.

• 2 Belfast // Aug 17, 2015 at 3:31 PM

I think he’ll go to Leicester in the final hours of the window.

• 3 Belfast // Aug 17, 2015 at 3:32 PM

Just letting everybody down gently. Cmon chin up !!

• 4 Ibizatoon // Aug 17, 2015 at 3:33 PM

Ed….I guess it’s a case of, its not our valuation, we’ll leave them on the table in case a better offer comes in.

My guess is he will move, but later in the window. That is assuming buying clubs wait until then before moving on to other targets.

• 5 Mister Tuff // Aug 17, 2015 at 3:33 PM

They are obviously hoping for a higher bid. Who blinks first.

• 6 Belfast // Aug 17, 2015 at 3:33 PM

Everybody is so excited about this article they’ve all went home.

• 7 Ibizatoon // Aug 17, 2015 at 3:34 PM

Sorry Belfast. Didn’t realise you had this space reserved.

• 8 Our Toon // Aug 17, 2015 at 3:34 PM

Nufc 11

Michael Dawson is in his 30s mate, we should stay well clear

• 9 Belfast // Aug 17, 2015 at 3:34 PM

Oh a few undesireables have entered now….

• 10 Ibizatoon // Aug 17, 2015 at 3:36 PM

OurToon…Don’t pay attention to Belfast. I’m sure someone finds you desirable.

• 11 bettyswallocks // Aug 17, 2015 at 3:36 PM

Ryder does an article in the chron saying we have ended our interest in Austin, then 5 mins later Ed says we’ve put a bid in. WTF I mean really WTF.

• 12 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 17, 2015 at 3:37 PM

The chronny have just reported we have ended our interest?

Could be to call there bluff I suppose.

Here is the article

• 13 Ibizatoon // Aug 17, 2015 at 3:37 PM

betty…It’s a puzzler. Ed and Lee are my two, go to, sources for the latest credible transfer news.

What’s the world coming to?

• 14 bettyswallocks // Aug 17, 2015 at 3:38 PM

Breaking News …… Austin is still a QPR player.

• 15 bettyswallocks // Aug 17, 2015 at 3:39 PM

Ibiza….. I think it’s still touch and go as to who will sign him.

• 16 Mag_jack // Aug 17, 2015 at 3:40 PM

If this ‘eventually’ happens cisse must be on his way

• 17 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 17, 2015 at 3:40 PM

Like Ferdy says it will go on until the end of the window.

Then they will just accept who has bid the most. It won’t be 15 mil.

• 18 Ian Toon // Aug 17, 2015 at 3:40 PM

Ashley missed out on the re- sale profit on us not signing Bonny as one example . This guy could well double in transfer value in a couple of seasons – he’s only 26. Why pay £5 million for someone else who has not played at the same level and any potential profit is highly questionable ?
    It might not matter to the majority of our fans but provided you trust your scout/ coach then I am surprised Ashley has not changed Carr’s modus operandi .

• 19 bettyswallocks // Aug 17, 2015 at 3:41 PM

Better if it was Steve Austin, the he could be dismantled and everyone have a piece.

• 20 Belfast // Aug 17, 2015 at 3:42 PM

Leicester in the last few hours of the window, because it’s the only deal on the table.

Leicester was always his number one choice and so on and so on.

• 21 Ibizatoon // Aug 17, 2015 at 3:43 PM

betty…Austin? For sure. Race is wide open from where i’m sitting.

I’m not too fussed on him either way. Would never turn my nose up at a 10+ goal striker (want to say 15+, but can’t be bothered to check my stats 🙂 ). Still, I’m holding out for defensive players to judge how I feel about this window. It’s been a huge problem and for me to even beginn to think things are changing, I want to see that addressed. It’s glaringly obvious to pretty much everyone and their mothers.

• 22 JAMSHA // Aug 17, 2015 at 3:43 PM

Boycott Eds Blog till the transfer window gets over…for misleading Headline

• 23 Ibizatoon // Aug 17, 2015 at 3:45 PM

Ian…The issue is for every Bony, there is an Obertan. Wait a sec, we’re still holding out on wor Gabby, aren’t we? He’ll come good, this is his season.

In that case, as you were.

• 24 Ibizatoon // Aug 17, 2015 at 3:46 PM

Jamsha…Good shout. You get us started, the rest of us will follow 🙂

• 25 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 17, 2015 at 3:46 PM

I think he really wants to come here or West ham, not Leicester. Maybe Spurs also.

Even if we offer 10 over their 12 I still think they will have to accept it because of The destination he prefers. Doubt he will join Leicester.

• 26 Big Archie // Aug 17, 2015 at 3:47 PM

So what makes you think that Newcastle have bid Ed? You make no mention of that whatsoever.

• 27 DaraghL // Aug 17, 2015 at 3:49 PM

Who? Is this a new link? 😉

Imagine if we actually did sign Thauvin, Abdenaour and Austin in one day…I would need to call in sick from the shock.

• 28 jayphoto // Aug 17, 2015 at 3:49 PM

not entirely sure NUFC ever had an interest?
    Newcastle are a club agents like to name drop when negotiating transfers and contracts as we have the resources to pay transfers and higher wages.
    Naïve of Ferdinand to compare Austin to Benteke though. Numerous differences. Benteke had 4 years on his contract for 1 and has the strength to create something on his own. Played well in an awful villa team. Is 2-3 years younger than Austin too.
    Austin relied on service, hes more of a poacher. He’s also failed 2 medicals, one on his knee and one on his shoulder which gives concerns. With 1 year left on his contract I think QPR do well to get 12m for Austin.

• 29 JAMSHA // Aug 17, 2015 at 3:51 PM

realy..i was like exicted an then i see no quotes no prof we have bid …ed has done this many time lol

• 30 jayphoto // Aug 17, 2015 at 3:52 PM

Can see Austin signing for Spurs. True they’ve signed Berahino and N’jie but along with Kane that still only gives them 3 strikers. Reckon they’ll want to go into a season with 4. Failing that, West Ham desperately need a striker. Can’t see Austin moving this far north. 15 Years ago in the keegan years then maybe, but realistically he’d be no worse off joining west ham than Newcastle with where the clubs are atm.

• 31 bettyswallocks // Aug 17, 2015 at 3:55 PM

I think Austin will either sign for us or West Ham or Leicester or Tottenham or Bournmouth or Sunderland or Watford or Norwich. I don’t think any of the top 4 are in for him , but you never know, they may be playing their cards late.

There of course always the possibility that he could sign a new contract at QPR or even just stay there and see out his contract. Who knows?

• 32 Belfast // Aug 17, 2015 at 3:55 PM

Haha Ed and his misleading headlines ?

There was an article on another blog criticizing Ed a few weeks ago about his misleading headlines or “Ed lines” as they called them. I defended him and he’s threw me under the bus regularly from this incident. 🙂

• 33 Belfast // Aug 17, 2015 at 3:56 PM

I’m saying nothing in future lol

• 34 Our Toon // Aug 17, 2015 at 3:57 PM

Ahahaha yeah I’m sure some does find me desirable.

No thanks on Austin, 15m on a player who’s out of contract at the end of the season is desperation, we only play 1 upfront.

• 35 nufc 11 // Aug 17, 2015 at 3:59 PM

And Lascelles is in his 20’s I know who id rather have in my squad. We have 2 Cb no that dont know how to head the ball. Dawson maybe in his 30’s but he knows how to defend and can organise a back 4 unlike others we have that think their midfielders of some sort.

• 36 Ibizatoon // Aug 17, 2015 at 4:01 PM

Belfast…Still whoring yourself around other blogs? Sick individual that you are.

“Ed Lines” gave me a chuckle.

Jamsha…It’s got to the stage where I’m surprised if an article does have any quotes in it.

What’s more surprising to me is when people are surprised by Ed’s “Ed Lines” and subsequent content. If people still get caught by his headline then I’m not sure they can be helped 🙂

• 37 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 17, 2015 at 4:02 PM

Austin won’t stay at QPR. If I was him i’d reject the contract offer. For his well being he needs to be in the Prem and for the Euro’s next year.

NUFC need to make a decent offer, we will get him for 8-10 on the last day. QPR will have to let him go to the club he wants to. If he gets over 15 goals next season his value will double.

• 38 bettyswallocks // Aug 17, 2015 at 4:02 PM

Ed ……. Please can you do 2 polls. One on whether or not people think we will sign Austin . And one on how much we think is a realistic valuation for him. Many Thanks.

• 39 Ibizatoon // Aug 17, 2015 at 4:05 PM

betty…A third poll, if I may? To find out how many people would like the Austin stories and polls to stop?

• 40 Belfast // Aug 17, 2015 at 4:07 PM

Our toon I was talking about Ibiza. You’re desirable and he’s undesirable.

Ibiza yep plenty of “Ed lines” from that incident. Even articles with dead blokes tweeting transfer news. 🙂

• 41 Mister Tuff // Aug 17, 2015 at 4:08 PM

I see Vuckic has revealed that he is to leave after Wally told him he does not feature in his plans.
    On the converse he must have told Obertron that he does feature in his plans.

No doubt in my mind that Vuckic is a much better footballer than Obertron.
    For me it is a worrying sign.

• 42 Tsunki // Aug 17, 2015 at 4:09 PM

Phew! My Austin levels were dipping seriously. Nearly went HypoAustemic.

• 43 jayphoto // Aug 17, 2015 at 4:09 PM

Sick of all this Austin speculation.
    Roll on January transfer window when we can get back to commenting on Andy Carroll articles….

• 44 Tsunki // Aug 17, 2015 at 4:09 PM

Is it safe to be here now? I won’t mention anything to do with perimeter security….

• 45 JP...from The Rock // Aug 17, 2015 at 4:11 PM

Ed another misleading headline. You are assuming that we have bid ofr him. No where does it say we have bid for Austin. The two clubs can perfectly be West Ham and Spurs as two good examples!

• 46 bettyswallocks // Aug 17, 2015 at 4:14 PM

Tuff….. Tend to agree that Vuckic hasn’t had a fair crack as oppose to Obertron that we’ve repeatedly tried in the hope he might find a consistent end product.

• 47 Belfast // Aug 17, 2015 at 4:15 PM

JP…from The Rock // Aug 17, 2015 at 4:11 PM

“Ed lines”

• 48 TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa // Aug 17, 2015 at 4:16 PM

Austing OUT
    Arma The Srrong IN

why are we chasing down austin when 1> we DONT NEED A STRIKER uless cisses is going. Being that he has been starting i dont see that happening
    2> we need a CB,LB, RB

• 49 Belfast // Aug 17, 2015 at 4:20 PM

Tsunki // Aug 17, 2015 at 4:09 PM

This works for me when my Austin levels are running low.

• 50 JackButler // Aug 17, 2015 at 4:21 PM

£15 million with only one year left on his contract?

It would be madness for anyone to pay anywhere near that amount for him

• 51 Ibizatoon // Aug 17, 2015 at 4:21 PM

Belfast…At last you’ve just come out and said it. You’re looking for someone desirable. Perhaps a footy blog isn’t the place though, you know what I mean?

Not that I want to get in the way of a potential romance. OurToon, if you feel like being a “Belfasts Toon”, you crack on mate.

Tsunki…Not sure you’re the one to be asking that question. Is it safe? Are you feeling mischevious?

• 52 Our Toon // Aug 17, 2015 at 4:21 PM

Nufc 11

Dawson can’t be thay good at organising the defence they got relegated didn’t they? Laschelles is young but from what I saw in the preseason the lad probably won’t make it at this level, he struggled last season in the championship…..needs a loan move. Dawson has 1 year left in him 2 max at the highest level if he isn’t already past it!!

Belfast – ahahaha, I know it was ibiza having a laugh

• 53 Graeme // Aug 17, 2015 at 4:27 PM

Where’s our Dominant CB??

• 54 Sazzer // Aug 17, 2015 at 4:28 PM

Dawson arrival meant Hull City got relegated instead of us.

• 55 JackButler // Aug 17, 2015 at 4:30 PM

Our dominant CB is already here, he has long curly hair, a dodgy attitude, just signed a new contract and is probably shacked up with someone other than his wife – didn’t you know, it’s gonna be the deal of the summer 🙂

• 56 Graeme // Aug 17, 2015 at 4:35 PM

Jack – I did say “Dominant” mate!!!

That rules Collo out under the “Trade Descriptions Act” I think!!!

• 57 JP...from The Rock // Aug 17, 2015 at 4:40 PM

Here you go Ed this one is just for you!…

• 58 JackButler // Aug 17, 2015 at 4:43 PM

Sorry mate, confused “dominant” with “docile” – it was an easy mistake to make 🙂

• 59 JackButler // Aug 17, 2015 at 4:50 PM

It’s easy to see why so many clubs do the majority of the transfer business overseas when you look at the type of money being asked for “homegrown” players.

I know that this type of player is at a premium, but when you look at the type of quality you can get from abroad for half the price or less, it’s ridiculous.

We signed Cabaye, Tiote and HBA for less than what QPR are demanding for. Player with one year left on his contract.

• 60 Rotonda heights // Aug 17, 2015 at 4:51 PM

i don’t think dawson exactly organised Hull’s defence!!!

• 61 matt11_25 // Aug 17, 2015 at 4:53 PM

Couple of thoughts/speculation on the Thauvin-Remy deal…

1. Thauvin performed badly at the weekend – but is he tryin to force a deal?

2. Remy going the other way – perhaps there is a clause where NUFC would have to pay Montpellier more if he has a certain # of starts/appearances.

Remember the best defense is a good offense.

• 62 Our Toon // Aug 17, 2015 at 4:56 PM

Tim Sherwood came out and said he’d love to buy British players but they are way overpriced. The continent offers better value for money!! He’s right, 15m for a man who relied heavily on Zamora for his goals is a joke

• 63 hibbit // Aug 17, 2015 at 4:57 PM

matt 11……..not with corners or dead balls and that’s what we can’t defend against

• 64 Ibizatoon // Aug 17, 2015 at 4:58 PM

matt11…I’ve always been of the thinking that the best form of defense is one that can defend.

Joking aside. I think something is lost when thinking of the “best form of defense is offense” and thinking about Keegans entertainers (I do note you never mentioned Keegan). It wasn’t a case of the defense being simply unable to defend, but that they were part of the attack.

That’s not the same as what we have here. The defense is simply sub-standard and needs reinforcement or it’ll be the same old story.

• 65 JackButler // Aug 17, 2015 at 4:58 PM

Find it ridiculous that Carr is trying to rectify one mistake i.e. Cabella, buy making an even bigger one in replacing him with Thauvin!!!

The lad was voted in the “Worst 11 in French Football” last season but we are will to shell out £12 million.

Carr’s star is starting to fall it seems

• 66 JackButler // Aug 17, 2015 at 5:00 PM

Our toon.

It’s no wonder the national side is suffering when players are being priced out of moves.

If Austin was French and playing in France he’d be available for three or four million at most, but because he’s English they want fifteen million!!!

It’s madness

• 67 Ibizatoon // Aug 17, 2015 at 5:00 PM

JB…It may seem that way, but you’re forgetting we now have a super coaching team. They’re even sorting out Obertan. No longer will be known as a team who ruins players, but a team that saves and fixes players.

• 68 JackButler // Aug 17, 2015 at 5:02 PM

Does that mean that Colo and Willo will now start to perform like quality players???

SM may be a good coach, but a miracle worker he’s not

• 69 JP...from The Rock // Aug 17, 2015 at 5:07 PM

I would like Thauvin here but not at the expense of Cabella. If Cabella is to go out on loan then i just hope its NOT with option to buy as has been stated by the media.

• 70 Ibizatoon // Aug 17, 2015 at 5:08 PM

JB…Why else would Colo get a contract extension? Come on, look at the big picture.

We no longer need to do things the old way, Ashley said so. Brace yourself for good furtune, perhaps even miracles.

Hallelujah and blessings for all your loved ones.

“We’ve got miracle workers, on our bench” (to the tune of “He’s got the whole World in his hands”)

• 71 Jib // Aug 17, 2015 at 5:09 PM

I just sit at the feet of Ibiza and worship.
    It is so indulgent of him to reward us mere Geordies with the pearls of his wondrous footy knowledge.
    Thankyou Ibiza oh generous one , thankyou , (wipes away a tear )

• 72 JackButler // Aug 17, 2015 at 5:10 PM

Everything is sunshine and roses now then!!!

Well praise the Lord and all praise the one true saviour Micheal Ashley 🙂

• 73 Jib // Aug 17, 2015 at 5:14 PM

Stick it up the dippers

• 74 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 17, 2015 at 5:14 PM

Few reports West Ham are close to securing Austin. Seems the Chronicle could be right that we have dropped interest.

I know there is people on here that don’t fancy him but I see this as a huge opportunity missed to replace the ageing Cisse and make a bit of money now from his sale.

• 75 JamesToon // Aug 17, 2015 at 5:14 PM

Apparently £5.7m buy out clause at the end of the loan. Big financial loss surely Ashley will not be happy with this.
    Keep Cabella ffs he is perfect with our new system playing football on the deck no hoofball anymore

• 76 Ibizatoon // Aug 17, 2015 at 5:15 PM

Jib…Don’t get too close please.

JB…Sort your a’s and e’s out please, this is Michael Ashley we’re talking about.

• 77 JackButler // Aug 17, 2015 at 5:18 PM

Austin would be a great signing but we have far bigger issues with the squad that need addressing like sorting out the defence for one, shipping out the alarming amount of deadwood we have.

That £15 million would get us van Dyjk and an understudy for Jaanmatt who is still the only right back at the club.

Deals for Austin and Thauvin would be sheer madness given the amount of glaring errors with the current squad

• 78 Belfast // Aug 17, 2015 at 5:24 PM

Does Bournemouth have a dipper Jib?

According to Sky Sources we haven’t even bid for Thauvin yet but we’re interested.

• 79 Graeme // Aug 17, 2015 at 5:27 PM

Jack – add a proper LB in there as well and we will be a far stronger team, thats for sure.
    If they want to add frills and whistles like Thauvin, they can do it in January!!!

• 80 Bambams // Aug 17, 2015 at 5:27 PM

It’s all just rumours again.

Once upon a time you could speak to one of the Newcastle coaches or scouts and they would give you the heads up about who they were signing. The last heads up we got was when Pards came – we didn’t believe him. Nowadays the only time they know is when they come into the training ground.

We have been linked with over 100 players, signed four. Speaks volumes

• 81 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 17, 2015 at 5:28 PM

I don’t think Austin will go for 15 mil. I think QPR will have to let him go to the highest bidder.

Aye, we have problems at the back but personally I think we have always had these problems, it’s a height issue for me. It’s not new and I don’t think it will be addressed. Mbemba can jump and I hope he can rectify the problem. Colo getting a new contract seems they are content. I hope they secure a full back to replace Haidara but again I can see Dummett playing there when fit.

• 82 Our Toon // Aug 17, 2015 at 5:28 PM

The HG quota has done nothing but create more problems, all its doing is over inflating the prices of British players sure a stupid rule.

As for Thauvin I’m actually happy if he comes in, Cabella is utter shite. I know some hold hope for him but come seriously people, last season he did less than Sammy, Obertan, Obertan and Aarons….that’s how productive he was. The lads probably doing stepovers in his living room right now with no one around.

Thierry Henry was once regarded a dud in Italy, failed at Juve. Was voted as one of the worst signings, moved to Arsenal and it was all change!!

• 83 Our Toon // Aug 17, 2015 at 5:29 PM

We should want Liverpool to beat Bournemouth, could be the difference at the end of the season whether we stay up or not

• 84 Laurent Robert 32 // Aug 17, 2015 at 5:32 PM

Our Toon, I’d just been thinking of Henry at Juve and Arsenal as well.

• 85 Offkey // Aug 17, 2015 at 5:32 PM

Belfast – surely our preferred media partners know what’s going on 🙂

• 86 Jib // Aug 17, 2015 at 5:32 PM

Our Toon
    Bad start , good finish.
    Europe nailed on.
    Put yer hoose on it.
    Yore Uncle Jib told you first

• 87 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 17, 2015 at 5:33 PM

“The lads probably doing stepovers in his living room right now with no one around.”

Love it.

• 88 Offkey // Aug 17, 2015 at 5:33 PM

Ourtoon – please don’t tell me we have another obertan

• 89 Offkey // Aug 17, 2015 at 5:35 PM

Uncle jib – pleased to see you get around a bit

• 90 JackButler // Aug 17, 2015 at 5:35 PM

Our toon

Buying the likes of Thauvin is like trying to put the roof on before you’ve built the foundation for a house not to mention the fact that he’s no different or better than Cabella.

All managers build from the back but our back line will only continue to leak goals for fun. The easiest way for us to progress as a team is to build off a solid base and start to try to concede less

• 91 GeordieTwo // Aug 17, 2015 at 5:38 PM

All right lads. So we’ve had a slightly disappointing start to the season. So we can’t seem to get Austin in. So we haven’t brought in that big CB we need. But at least the next few matches are against weak sides……Oh, wait……

• 92 Munster Mag // Aug 17, 2015 at 5:39 PM

Totally agree Jack. In Carr we trust ? My arse. Old man with very few really astute purchases.

• 93 Jib // Aug 17, 2015 at 5:41 PM

Munster Mag
    My new Doctor is from Limerick
    What a lovely young fella !
    Are all folk from Limerick nice ?

• 94 Transfer Sage // Aug 17, 2015 at 5:41 PM

Jack butler

I haven’t seen thauvin so cannot judge but a few players made that worst 11 who weren’t that bad according to a couple of mates who watch french football.

I agree we need to build from the back though, we have enough forward options at the minute anyway, well a lot more quality than we have at the back.

As the saying goes…strikers win you games, defenders win you leagues.

You need to able to be solid as even the best strikers won’t score you 3/4 goals every game, you need a solid foundation to grind out the tough 0-0 or 1-0 games when everything up top isn’t clicking.

• 95 GeordieTwo // Aug 17, 2015 at 5:41 PM

Let the rejoicing begin! We are now a top 14 side!!!

• 96 GeordieTwo // Aug 17, 2015 at 5:41 PM

Once we rise above 15th that is……

• 97 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 17, 2015 at 5:44 PM

Here is a decent little article on why we could be moving for Thauvin..

There is some football logic in it if true..

• 98 GeordieTwo // Aug 17, 2015 at 5:44 PM

I’m predicting we will be dominant in at least 1 match this season! No really lads….It’s going to happen. A 2-0 win somewhere along the way. I guarantee it….Harrumph. That’s for all you naysayers oot there.

• 99 Offkey // Aug 17, 2015 at 5:45 PM

Is thauvin, marvin martin in disguise……..I knew we would get him!

• 100 GeordieTwo // Aug 17, 2015 at 5:45 PM

Flavius Thorius! We need a Roman centurion in the squad!

• 101 JackButler // Aug 17, 2015 at 5:46 PM

Thauvin had a very poor season and has a questionable attitude by all account, but he’s not the worst player in the world by any means and perhaps its the amount being touted that I find crazy but it does seem that Carr has a liking for a certain type of player, players that don’t carry much physical presence but are technically good.

We need pace and power in our squad but only after the defence has been sorted as even if we managed to score three or four every game it will count for nothing when we concede five or six (exaggerated I know, but you get the point)

• 102 Belfast // Aug 17, 2015 at 5:46 PM

Sky where bang on with the Winaldjum deal offkey. The usual yarn spinners suspects had bids accepted and in town for medicals long before he showed up.

Sky said we where in talks but hadn’t bid yet.

• 103 Transfer Sage // Aug 17, 2015 at 5:47 PM

I was always of the belief carr was a good scout (nothing more, a 50% return on players is good as a standard) but I am now thinking he had a bit of a purple path in getting 3/4 players right in a row.

I also thought maybe it was due to money so we were signing a player 5/6th on his list but we’ve spent decent money on a few who can’t cut it.

It could also be down to management so I simply dont know.

Either way, he is not a miracle worker, just a reasonable scout. Nearly all players from abroad are a gamble as you don’t know how they will settle in the league and in the country with their personal lives.

• 104 GeordieTwo // Aug 17, 2015 at 5:47 PM

I hope they let Flavius bring his short stabbing sword on the pitch. 😯

• 105 GeordieTwo // Aug 17, 2015 at 5:49 PM

Steve seems to be developing a tic above one eye already. It took several months for that to happen to Percy. Hmmmm.

• 106 Offkey // Aug 17, 2015 at 5:50 PM

Belfast – only mucking about mate……had a few beers on the beech and am wum-in it up with the best of them…….jib

• 107 GeordieTwo // Aug 17, 2015 at 5:51 PM

I hope the lads put their battle thongs on for the next match. Like those Spartan lads in 300….

• 108 GeordieTwo // Aug 17, 2015 at 5:53 PM

Colo has at least 5 more years of good football in him. In the Australian leagues that is…..He can join Viduka if he’s still playing.

• 109 Transfer Sage // Aug 17, 2015 at 5:54 PM

Yeh I agree, Carr does seem to like technical players but none seem suited to the league the way a hazard or silva are, able to use their balance and core/body strength to shield the ball effectively and not get bullied out of the game.

For me the defence is key, a prem league CB with experience is required, somebody ready to lead.

In hindsight somebody like Micah Richards would have been worth a gamble as he can play both CB and RB. But at the time I wasn’t keen myself due to his injury record.

• 110 The Newcastle Armchair // Aug 17, 2015 at 5:55 PM

Rumours flying that we’re swapping Gouffy+cash for Diego Rolan… Gouffy been snapped today at NCL airport with his girlfriend and daughter

• 111 JackButler // Aug 17, 2015 at 5:56 PM

To be fair to Carr he is working with a massive amount of restrictions that have forced him to work with a very small pool. But it’s the lack of pace and power that worries me as we are playing on one of the quickest and most physical leagues in the world and he seems to like signing lightweights who are easily forced out of games

• 112 Our Toon // Aug 17, 2015 at 5:56 PM

No scout gets every single recommendation right, every club had many failures. Look at the ones that got away as well rather than the ones that are here

• 113 Shearer.Milburn // Aug 17, 2015 at 5:57 PM

ARTICLE “Newcastle put in bid for Charlie Austin”

REALITY… absolutely no evidence to suggest we have made a bid…

Really good bit of reporting there ED.

• 114 LGFUAD21 // Aug 17, 2015 at 6:00 PM

I thought the same. Carr was scouting good players but they were buying his 5 or 6th choice.

The money in the Thauvin deal astounds me. That’s a hell of a lot to buy what looks like a like for like with cabella in terms of ability that has a worse record. I’d rather have picked up tom ince for the lower fee. Seems just as big a gamble. Tom once now has another good year of championship experience and never really had a chance at hull (started 2 or 3 games I think) he was bough in anticipation for Europa then loaned as they didn’t qualify v

Is there something we don’t know about cabella like his attitude or personal problems.

• 115 Our Toon // Aug 17, 2015 at 6:00 PM

Agreed building from the back, but it doesn’t mean we can’t look at other areas as well. We have Obertan on the wing at the minute good grief we need upgrades in alot of areas.

• 116 lochinvar // Aug 17, 2015 at 6:01 PM

Newcastle putting in bids for Austin, Thauvin Abdenaour ,Van Dijk and Rolan and Janik Vestergaard. Have I missed anyone ? das Boot ?
    Should go for Dr. Carnerio as well as she’ll be needed to treat the fans for shock if we sign that lot. Doubt there would be too many complaints like.

• 117 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 17, 2015 at 6:06 PM

• 118 JackButler // Aug 17, 2015 at 6:06 PM

Our toon

We need to upgrade most of the squad but that’s not realistic under Ashley so we have to address the biggest issues first.

I’d love to see the likes of Obertan and Cabella moved on and replaced with better players more suited to this league and how we play but only after the defence has been sorted.

Even if you go back to KK’s time our back four was poor and it’s never really been addressed. How many times do we have to flirt with relegation before the likes are Colo, Willo and Saylor are recognised as not being anywhere near good enough?

I would have gladly passed up on Gini and Mitrovic in order to bring in a quality CB and right back cover

• 119 lochinvar // Aug 17, 2015 at 6:07 PM

Zlatan Ibrahimovic could be on his way out of PSG after the French champions told the striker he can leave this summer, according to the Daily Mail.The Swedish star, 34, could be available for a cut price fee as he has less than a year left on his contract at the PSG.

Is Austin the smoke screen for our super surprise much promised signing then.
    Or maybe its Harry Kane realising that Life is so much better up north.

• 120 Our Toon // Aug 17, 2015 at 6:10 PM

Harry Kane, 2 goals in his last 18 competitive games for both spurs and England u21s. Overrated lad who had 4 good months

• 121 Transfer Sage // Aug 17, 2015 at 6:11 PM

It’s hard to say, I’ve read so many sports people’s autobiographies and they have mentioned so many different personal problems which simply weren’t present at the time…you’d never know. With moving countries and having to uproot families so often it’s surprising there aren’t a lot more problems really.

As for Carr…he has made plenty of mistakes and as Jack says seems not buy pace and power (with a couple of exceptions, Sissoko being one).

But look at other clubs who’ve bought recently and had flops with a higher budget and higher profile players.

Falcao, Di Maria, Cuadrado, liverpool have had quite a few too. It can’t be easy, so many things to consider.

What it seems we need though is a wider network, more people working in Spain, Germany and Italy as well as the traditionally cheaper to buy from leagues like France and Holland.

• 122 Jib // Aug 17, 2015 at 6:11 PM

Daily Mail 4 days ago

• 123 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 17, 2015 at 6:13 PM

• 124 Our Toon // Aug 17, 2015 at 6:14 PM

Sooner or later the defence will be sorted as willo and saylor contracts are up for renewal, I’d be over the moon with another CB but we’ve pissed about again this summer and not bought players in quick enough to gel in pre season

• 125 Our Toon // Aug 17, 2015 at 6:16 PM

I’d be looking at the south american market some seriously good talent there

• 126 JackButler // Aug 17, 2015 at 6:17 PM

Our toon

I thought the same with Colo but then he was given an new deal and retained the armband

Whoever can figure out what’s happening behind the walls of SJP is a far better man than me

• 127 Ian Toon // Aug 17, 2015 at 6:22 PM

Carr’s finest moment was securing the signing of Cabaye in the Summer of 2011. He had to virtually take out a season ticket at Lille where Cabaye had played from academy football in France. His signing transformed the team.
    Aside from Debuchy, in profit on the sale to Arsenal there is little to commend Carr for – or am I missing something! As I see it there have been more turkeys than winners. All of which the question remains does Carr receive a prototype of a footballer that the Manager/ coach wants to fit into the jig saw of a team he is looking to construct to play in the Premier League.
    I have quite honestly in no small measure assessed managers on their transfer dealings and tactical awareness.
    Macca is an experienced manager but he has worked in Europe where others frequently decide the composition of squads.
    We have needed defensive quality and cover since the summer of 2012 just what’s going on?

• 128 beermonkey // Aug 17, 2015 at 6:24 PM

any more on that goofy rumour

• 129 will die for the toon army // Aug 17, 2015 at 6:25 PM

Last summer big signings were flop;
    De Jong, Cabella and Rivere. They are the reasons we didnt perform coz they were bought as starters then we had to use the same old boll@x.

Charnelyz signings looked good but failed.

Janmatt, Colback, De Jong, Perez, Rivere.

Missed out on Toby Alderwield and Lazacatte.

• 130 Transfer Sage // Aug 17, 2015 at 6:31 PM

Our toon

Yeh there is good talent on South America but we have tighter work permits for footballers than a few other counties like italy and spain so it’s hard to get the lads who aren’t established internationals.

• 131 matt11_25 // Aug 17, 2015 at 6:35 PM

demba ba, remy, ayoze, sissoko, hba, santon, perch, CISSE, to name a few that contributed to say the least

• 132 bettyswallocks // Aug 17, 2015 at 6:35 PM

Apparently we are now interested in buying Austin with a view to using him in a part exchange deal for a CB.

• 133 BandB // Aug 17, 2015 at 6:38 PM

What worries me, even more than the defensive situation, is that I can’t yet see any evidence of any new strategy taking shape.
    I fear that the players McClaren considers settled in their positions are Colocinni, Colback, Sissoko and Cisse.
    Apart from Colback, who looked lost to me on Saturday, there are doubts hanging not just over the suitability and effectiveness of these players within their roles in this formation, but also their commitment.
    I really hope we sign Thauvin and Rolan and play 4-3-3, which would mean far more players in their natural positions, Wijnaldum could then play box to box, which is clearly his game.
    Rolan has goals and assists. He can also play as a striker.
    It sounds like the Thauvin deal could go some way to paying for itself with no great loss in Cabella.
    If we have to part with Sissoko and/or Cisse to “balance the books,” I wouldn’t care.
    They have made it perfectly clear want to be elsewhere.
    It provides more opportunities for Aarons and Perez to develop before they start going backwards.
    It doesn’t help our defence at all that Sissoko, Obertan and Cisse only help out when they can be @rsed.
    Two weeks to go, and at our snails pace, it’s hard to see us doing the necessary juggling.

• 134 Graeme // Aug 17, 2015 at 6:38 PM

Betty – I heard he was simply going to play as a CB this season, doubling up at LB when needed!!! Variety is the name of the game!!!

• 135 bills-son // Aug 17, 2015 at 6:39 PM

We are woefully short of aggressive physical players in all positions and it was clear from his early games that Cabella was another lightweight who would struggle in the Prem.

An aggressive CB, a fit Tiote and a controlled but still physical Mitrovic would make a heck of a difference to us – especially away from home.

Far, far too often we have been pushovers against the Prems physical teams and not good enough to outplay the likes of Swansea and Southampton.

Leicester are a prime example of what can be achieved by teams outside of the top four who have the aggression to go with decent skill levels.

• 136 will die for the toon army // Aug 17, 2015 at 6:45 PM

Austin is a no Go except if we r going to let Cisse go.
    I can see why we need to sign Thauvin if Mitrovic is going to start. Aarons was never this season. He has to learn.

Abdennour and Thauvin good for me. Our CBs have no competition.

• 137 bettyswallocks // Aug 17, 2015 at 6:48 PM

Bills…….. I don’t think it’s Mc s intention to go for big strong klunkers with no speed or skill. The modern approach with fast flowing football seems to be his idea.

• 138 reilly // Aug 17, 2015 at 6:49 PM

beermonkey,there was a pic doing the rounds today of goofy and his family at newcastle airport the day.

• 139 reilly // Aug 17, 2015 at 6:51 PM
    here it is

• 140 Sazzer // Aug 17, 2015 at 6:55 PM

We are losing less money on Cabella than Palace paid for Pardew.

It’s not the end of the world.

Ribery at Marseille 78 games 14 goals and 14 assist.
    Thauvin at Marseille 80 games 15 goals and 13 assists.

• 141 Ian Toon // Aug 17, 2015 at 6:57 PM

bills- I agree . What I described as lacking in spirit was in fact a lack of aggressive intent. It reminded me of playing for a boys team against a man’s. Even the Janmaat incidents were pretty feeble.
    Tiote the warrior, is way short of required fitness but he at his rampaging best would provide some energy and physicality sadly lacking.
    Mitrovic looks a certain starter against ManU- Cisse seems to be just going through the motions which as has been suggested looks as if he’s seeking pastures new. I can see a case for wheeling and dealing before the market closes. The problem is that those we want rid of others don’t want to buy.

• 142 Transfer Sage // Aug 17, 2015 at 7:05 PM

It’s not about a bit clunker with no skill.

It’s about technical players with power and pace also, look at the top examples, messi and ronaldo. Rarely get shoved around and bullied in games, amazing technical ability coupled with power and pace.

The best players in recent times on our league are the same.

Rooney, Shearer (in his pomp), suarez, aguero, bale, hazard, van persie (with strength), Henry.

They were all technically very good but have strength and pace.

Even lads like david silva use pace, balance and good body strength to either shake off attackers or to buy free kicks.

• 143 Ian Toon // Aug 17, 2015 at 7:21 PM

Eden Hazard

• 144 ronjohno // Aug 17, 2015 at 7:22 PM

wish to hell he would just sign for somebody and get it all over with.
    sick to death…………..

• 145 Thump // Aug 17, 2015 at 7:24 PM

@reilly: That’s the short stay car park, mate.

• 146 Jail for Ashley // Aug 17, 2015 at 7:26 PM

I simply can’t fathom how Carr can be blamed when players like Riverie are his fifth or sixth on the pecking order. There’s a pretty long list of affordable targets that have done ok elsewhere after we have failed to stump up the cash.

• 147 9 // Aug 17, 2015 at 7:26 PM

Mitrovic? Starting a game? Are you having a laugh? We don’t need to be down to 10 men again.

• 148 Ian Toon // Aug 17, 2015 at 7:31 PM

9- It’s got to happen – his Cameo appearance suggested going forward we might win a few balls in both boxes. Macca needs to appoint a minder until he calms down. He lasted a little longer on his second appearance before being booked.

• 149 Mister Tuff // Aug 17, 2015 at 7:36 PM

Just been checking out the photo on Twitter of Gouffran at the airport. He was accompanied apparently by his girlfriend and his small daughter.
    It would seem that that Twitter site has a load of bounders and cads posting and certainly some ungentlemanly fellows posting. They seemed more interested in the ladies posterior than what Gouffran was doing at the airport. Indeed, one of the posters stated he would like to smack her buttocks. What’s all that about.

• 150 Rotonda heights // Aug 17, 2015 at 7:44 PM

Apart from obviously being aesthetically far more pleasing than derek wright, eva carneiro has much better injury treating results. eva would be a great signing.

• 151 lesh // Aug 17, 2015 at 7:45 PM

Our Toon

When I think of Harry Kane, my thoughts turn to one Alan Shoulder.

Joined us from Blyth, had a helluva first season, scoring quite a few times. But,by the second half of that first season, defenders new how to deal with him. He’d been found out.

Are folk suggesting that Harry Kane’s bubble might have burst already?

Another comes to mind to be in line to suffer the same fate – Raheem Sterling anyone?

• 152 Jib // Aug 17, 2015 at 7:46 PM

Is it Goofy ?

• 153 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Aug 17, 2015 at 7:47 PM

still get the chills when I see him.

• 154 The Newcastle Armchair // Aug 17, 2015 at 7:52 PM

Mister Tuff

Nothing wrong with a bit of softcore porn

• 155 The Newcastle Armchair // Aug 17, 2015 at 7:54 PM

Harry Kane is Michu is Zaki is Gyan is Zarate…

Need I explain more?

• 156 Jib // Aug 17, 2015 at 7:55 PM

Gooffy has no hand luggage and doesn’t look dressed for a flight . I think he’s seeing the missus and bairn off .

• 157 JamesToon // Aug 17, 2015 at 7:56 PM

Thauvin flying to Tyneside tomorrow apparently

• 158 JackButler // Aug 17, 2015 at 7:56 PM

Agree that Carr is signing players that fit into a criteria that will ultimately see Ashley profit from future sales, but he is still signing players that physically struggle to find their feet in this league, whether or not he would sign players with power and pace if he was given a free reign is up for debate, but surely the first thing you look for in a player is someone who can stand up to the rigours of the EPL?

He’s had as many hits as misses and I think everyone would love to see what he could do if he had fewer restrictions placed on him.

• 159 9 // Aug 17, 2015 at 7:57 PM

I sincerely wish the lad all the best, and hope he turns out to be a star. But, on what we’ve seen, he hasn’t got a brain and can’t be let loose until something changes. His tiny record is almost unbelievably idiotic. Only saying what I see.

• 160 Laurent Robert 32 // Aug 17, 2015 at 7:59 PM

Gorgonzola, right on.

• 161 Jib // Aug 17, 2015 at 7:59 PM

Please please please do it you Cherries.
    I’d love to see the expression on w@nker Carragher’s face if Bournemouth pulled it off .

• 162 bettyswallocks // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:00 PM

Transfer…….. That was what I meant to say. Skill and strength are better than aggression and strength which is what Bills Son is advocating.

I much prefer technically gifted players with a low centre of gravity a la Aguero and Messi as opposed to big strong lumps.

• 163 welshgeordie9 // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:02 PM

come on Bournemouth make my night.

• 164 beermonkey // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:02 PM

I did think she had a bit of junk in the trunk

• 165 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:03 PM

If we sign Abdenour I would admit that Ashley has turned a corner.
    If we don’t sign him or a CB of his quality or greater. Nothing has been done really.

Thauvin looks stronger on the ball that Cabella, I don’t believe Cabella should go really. He really wasn’t given time to settle. Very stop start kind of games.

Players need a long series of games. I somehow fear that McLaren might do the same with the likes of Mitro and the likes. New players should play.

Obertan is a sub at best, Aarons should play, so should Perez.

At manure I would start with Mitro to ad a bit of strength up front.

Prediction 3:0 loss.

• 166 The Newcastle Armchair // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:05 PM

Lads, Mrs Gouffrans bottom is what all girls want these days. It’s the future.

If you think she had junk in the trunk, you may be in for a long 20+ years if you are a straight male

• 167 Jib // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:07 PM

Oh dear the top six have the refs sorted

• 168 Mister Tuff // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:07 PM

Armchair – clearly some undesirable types on that Twitter site – clearly not as friendly, understanding and welcoming as our blog.

• 169 Moonraker15 // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:07 PM

Ben Arfa his a genius. I hate Pardew for obvious reasons but mainly for not handling him properly. Imagine having that on your cv . ” I got rid of Ben Arfa cos he was difficult” . Of course he was you numpty.

• 170 Noel Worst // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:08 PM

Love how folks are now trying to put a positive spin on this prospective Thauvin signing.

Crap player
    big fee for us
    Losing a better player

Worst transfer in recent history if it happens.

• 171 Jib // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:08 PM

If that goal had been at the other end it would have stood

• 172 Ian Toon // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:09 PM

Welsh – Do you follow cricket?

• 173 JackButler // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:10 PM

Not that I’m defending Pardew, but every manager that HBA played under failed to handle him, he is just one of many players that will loom back on his career and wonder “What if”!!! As he had all the talent in the world but lacked the mentality to utilise it

• 174 welshgeordie9 // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:11 PM

Totally agree with you there mate, should have stood to be honest, nothing wrong with that challenge.

• 175 Ron Knee // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:12 PM

Compare our craven attitude at Swansea with Bournemouth’s approach tonight.

• 176 JamesToon // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:12 PM

Bournemouth outplaying Liverpool at the moment. Another team that is building their team around their philosophy. Buy players with pace and skill that go with their playing style

• 177 Jib // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:12 PM

It’s the usual for the Lpool Bmouth game

• 178 welshgeordie9 // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:14 PM

No i don’t bother watching cricket mate, there’s more action watching Tom and Jerry.

• 179 JamesToon // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:14 PM

The way Bournemouth are playing is how we need to play against man united, press high, and attack. Keep possession, if there’s no short pass options, make sure there are runners in behind to play the long pass

• 180 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:15 PM

• 181 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:15 PM

You see this is the thing. I think most managers would have a fallout with L. Robert too.

He NEVER tracked back.
    Was super Lazy.
    Bad tackler.

But if leave him to do to what he knows best he was a belter. And so was HBA. He should have been pardoned, and not Pardewed.

Forever and ever to keep him happy. He won us games and changed the complexion of the game in an instant and that was ENOUGH reason to have him.

We might not see a better player than that in a NUFC shirt.
    I still rate him, and I have a major soft spot for him. I hope he does good in Nice and resurrects his career, many have done just that and were older than him.

I would have him back in a heartbeat.

• 182 Ian Toon // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:18 PM

Welsh- That was a conversation stopper…..
    So you don’t know or have heard of Aneurin (Nye) Donald ?

• 183 Jib // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:18 PM

Ron Knee
    Not quite the same .
    Eddie Howe played for them for 11years and has managed them (except for one year at Burnley) for 7 years.

• 184 bettyswallocks // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:19 PM

Thauvin Out!

• 185 JackButler // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:23 PM

HBA was a luxury player and his type are quickly disappearing from the modern game as all players are expected to be as effective defending for the team as attacking, just look at Mata, Jose sold him because he didn’t work hard enough for the team. HBA has taken an almost mythical standing on this blog but the reality was that although he did give us dazzling performances he was also capable of going missing from games and contributing nothing.

People blame Pardew for not being able to handle him but none of his managers have been able to handle him as he was a maverick in every sense of the word, how long did it take before he blew up at Hull?

• 186 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:23 PM

Speaking of the great one:

my eyes water….

• 187 welshgeordie9 // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:23 PM

Ian Toon

Never heard of him, how’s that then.

• 188 toon kk // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:24 PM

You’ve got to have pace and skill in present premier league football, its our downfall, our static style with poor pass capabilities will be exposed by even newly promoted clubs.

• 189 WWSBRD // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:25 PM

Oh hell did I set off another HBA chat earlier that’s still going? I can only apologise

• 190 JackButler // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:28 PM

No way should that goal stand under the new rules

• 191 ShirebrookToon // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:34 PM

Is this thauvin kid any good because I’ve never seen him play

• 192 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:35 PM

True however, we are not in the position to chose quality like that.
    Remember we nearly got relegated.

I think if SBR was in charge bet your bottom dollar he would be here.
    We still have attitude within the team, look at Sissoko.

And another thing for a player to be able to do what you say he must track back do the miracle dance, he would also cost a damn lot more as he is a more complete player. We have this issue now, we have players that track back but they are just bad players that have 10% ability of HBA.

• 193 bettyswallocks // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:35 PM

This refs having a mare.

• 194 JamesToon // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:36 PM

Toon kk

Hopefully Thauvin can add some pace and skill

• 195 lochinvar // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:36 PM

Jack Butler
    You are so right – that’s a shocking decision especially under the new rules and one that favours Liverpool. Courtinio clearly was offside and then attempted to play the ball in front of the Bournemouth keeper.
    Still Sissoko’ s goal against City ( before the new ruling ) was disallowed so who are we to complain.
    Wonder when we will see TMO’s in football ?

• 196 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:37 PM

toon kk

I agree with you 100% more than anything you need serious pace. And good passing. I would say those two outweigh lots of other qualities because you will by default end up creating chances.

• 197 TheToonKing // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:39 PM

@ShirebrookToon his good, but not quite incredibly good. has the potential though to be.

Also has a bit of Ben Arfa crazyness in him and likes the physicality.

Will be interesting to see him and Mitro , we might have another Bowyer – Dyer 😀

• 198 ShirebrookToon // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:45 PM

Toon the king

Cheers mate. mitro needs to calm down a bit lol

• 199 JackButler // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:46 PM

I like the lad but I simply don’t see him as this mythical genius that some seem to see him as, we’ve had far better and effective players that created more and more consistently than him.

I’ve been lucky enough to see some of the best and most creative players in the shirt over the past few decades and HBA will always go down as a good player that never achieved anything like he was capable of because of a poor attitude

• 200 JackButler // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:47 PM

The decision is even more shocking when you look at a perfectly goal being ruled out just minutes before

• 201 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:49 PM

You may be right, but in the time he was with us he has achieved quite a bit. He has scored some tremendous goals that we are yet to see from our side as of late.

He is no God but for sure he is one of the best that has played for us.
    Right this minute who is on his level at NUFC? I can’t think of anybody yet truth be told.

But believe you me I pray for the day we get to see another player like that at our club.

• 202 toon kk // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:51 PM

Bournemouth down 1-0 but at the start of the game when they used there pace and played on the attack they pinned Liverpool back, then after going a goal down they turned into our style of play and can hardly get out there own half.

• 203 JackButler // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:54 PM

You are right that we are currently bereft of any real creativity and the type of player that can get the crowd off their feet as soon as they have the ball and that’s a sad indictment of the current set up, but then again we were spoiled rotten under KK and SBR 🙂

• 204 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:56 PM

You see what I am getting at. Still better to have the likes of him.
    Will SDJ ever play like ever ?

• 205 Noel Worst // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:56 PM

Put it this way. Ben Arfa is far superior to anything Thauvin will ever amount to.

Has nowt to his game. I’ll perhaps give him the accolade of being a slightly above average set-piece taker, maybe.

• 206 firebug666 // Aug 17, 2015 at 9:02 PM

Newcastle United attacking midfielder Remy Cabella has suggested on social networking site Twitter that he will be back in action this week.

The 25-year-old has yet to feature in a competitive game for the Magpies this season, having suffered a thigh injury earlier this summer.

The France international, though, has said that he hopes to be back on the pitch this week, as Newcastle chase their first victory of the 2015-16 Premier League campaign.

@RemyCabella are you injured and when will you be back on the pitch. We need you.

— Yogi Man (@ManAboutKew) August 15, 2015
    This week

— Remy Cabella (@RemyCabella) August 15, 2015
    Cabella has been on the books of Premier League outfit Newcastle since the summer of 2014, when he joined them from Ligue 1 side Montpellier.

The Frenchman showed glimpses of his talent last season, scoring one goal and creating 37 chances in 31 league matches.

According to French news outlet RMC, Newcastle are willing to send Cabella on a season-long loan deal to Marseille in order to sign Florian Thauvin from the Ligue 1 outfit.

Whether that move comes to fruition or not remains to be seen, but for now Newcastle fans should be excited that Cabella is edging closer to full fitness.

• 207 toon kk // Aug 17, 2015 at 9:02 PM

What’s Thauvin actually like? I haven’t seen him play much, been watching some clips on you tube, but they only pick out the best bits. But he does look skillful, if a little light weight.

• 208 firebug666 // Aug 17, 2015 at 9:05 PM

Reports on Monday morning in the vast majority of the French press suggested a deal was close to be completed between Newcastle and Marseille for the transfer of young star Florian Thauvin.

The 21-year-old will reportedly go to the North of England for a fee of around €17m + €3m in bonuses, which equals to around £14m in total.

Not all is lost for Marseille, though, who are supposed to pick up Rémy Cabella on loan as part of the deal, with RMC claiming the insertion of an option to buy the attacking midfielder for €8m.

On Monday evening, La Provence, Marseille’s local newspaper, report that Thauvin is scheduled to fly to England tomorrow ahead of a medical with Newcastle ahead of his move.

The medical is said to be on Wednesday, with the young winger expected to sign a six-year contract with Newcastle, earning around €3m/year.

Thauvin’s departure would mean yet another first-team starter leaving the French club this summer following the departures of Imbula, Gignac, Ayew, Payet, Fanni and Morel.

Marseille have found themselves struggling since the season started, with two losses in two games against Caen and Reims.

• 209 JackButler // Aug 17, 2015 at 9:06 PM

It is hard to find gems when you are shopping in the bargain bin, usually when you do find one it has a flaw in it

As for SDJ?

The guy is made of glass it seems, I’d love to see what he can do with a run of games under his belt but if that day ever comes is under serious question right now and given our lack of creativity it become all the more frustrating when the one player who could possibly offer that is the one player that’s never fit to kick a ball

• 210 Rotonda heights // Aug 17, 2015 at 9:09 PM

thanks for the memories, what a player LR was

• 211 JackButler // Aug 17, 2015 at 9:10 PM

Toon KK

From what I’ve seen of the lad he’s no different to Cabella and was shocking last season where he was voted in the worst 11 in France, so the amount being touted for his transfer is madness imo especially when you look at the obvious problems with our squad..

Can Dyjk and a understudy for Jaanmatt would have a far bigger impact on the squad as we don’t need another lightweight step over king

• 212 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Aug 17, 2015 at 9:14 PM

I actually think we should look at loaning SDJ out for a few months to get his fitness up possibly give him to Coventry first so he builds up an understanding with Armstrong

As he looks miles off the pace and if he is going to be constantly injured then its not going to be easy to step up to premiership level

• 213 toon kk // Aug 17, 2015 at 9:15 PM

your right about SDJ been made of glass.
    I do think he’s a skilled player, but his strengths are wasted when we play pacey teams. He just isn’t allowed the time to play his game. I suppose a few of our squad are similar.

• 214 lochinvar // Aug 17, 2015 at 9:16 PM

Bet Bournemouth are wishing this had been introduced at Anfield tonight.

Television referees will use Hawk-Eye technology to help them make key decisions at the Rugby World Cup.
    It will supplement the existing Television Match Official (TMO) system following successful trials.
    The technology will also be available to medical staff to help assess potential head injuries from impacts.
    “It has clear benefits for the match officials, medical teams and fans around the world,” said World Rugby chief executive Brett Gosper.
    “Central to our sport is the integrity of player welfare and the match official decision-making process.”
    TMOs will now have access to simultaneous multiple angle replays in real-time and slow motion, along with a zoom-function, to help them make decisions.

• 215 lochinvar // Aug 17, 2015 at 9:18 PM

Jack Butler – missed the Bournemouth (?) disallowed goal but will try to catch it later. Presumably it’ll still be offside.

• 216 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Aug 17, 2015 at 9:20 PM

Pleasure Rotonda…

Here is another one…

Tinooo Tinnnooo Tiinooooo

• 217 the broons // Aug 17, 2015 at 9:21 PM

Lee Charnley bunga party

Was that comment sarcasm?

• 218 toon kk // Aug 17, 2015 at 9:26 PM

Thauvin even looks like Cabella, very similar type of player I would i would of thought.
    We need someone like Zaha , he’s part of Pardews success at Pallace, the type of player that has actually pushed there squad above ours

• 219 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Aug 17, 2015 at 9:30 PM

@the broons

Ha ha yeah maybe Coventry is a bit of a step down but I just worry how he is going to get up to speed in the premiership especially if Cisse plays thats 2 passengers who cant or wont press for the ball , added to having Sissoko and Obertan not trying for the ball and thats a lot of pressure on our defence because we wont press for the ball back

• 220 Toon fm Exeter // Aug 17, 2015 at 9:35 PM

It just seems to me after only two games that every team seems fitter than we do and they all have more desire than us. I know we are not world beaters but we could at least put the effort in.

• 221 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 17, 2015 at 9:36 PM

Jamie Sterry scores for U21’s in a 1-1 draw

• 222 JackButler // Aug 17, 2015 at 9:37 PM

Tony Mowbry “Newcastle must have an amazing strike force if this young lad can’t get in their side” regarding Armstrong

• 223 toon22 // Aug 17, 2015 at 9:39 PM

Its funny how refs,especially at the start and over chrimbo seem to help shape how the seasons going to unfold.
    Just as the fixtures are chosen at random(lol) i think the league wants certain teams to have certain seasons.
    Just like WWE aint it.

• 224 toon kk // Aug 17, 2015 at 9:43 PM

Toon fm exetor
    exactly, I often think we are capable of so much more, but look unfit and as if we just can’t be bothered, we seem to have the mentality “we can’t beat them so why bother trying”.

• 225 Novocastrian66 // Aug 17, 2015 at 9:46 PM

Football is blighted by substandard or corrupt officials. The game needs cleaning up. It should embrace technology and find a process to make sure the right decisions are made.

• 226 toon22 // Aug 17, 2015 at 9:54 PM

They wont ever want video refs as it means they cant shape the parts of the season they usually do.
    Rememmber they sell the rights world wide as its such an exciting league,they seem to want to ensure it stays exciting.
    The top 6 teams are the gravy for the tv rights world wide.
    We have all seen over the years just how some teams get away with murder while others get punnished into oblivion(toon fans have seen plenty of it)

• 227 matt11_25 // Aug 17, 2015 at 9:54 PM

@jib that pic looked like gouff to me and having seen it (aka seen those gray pants), whatever happens to him I no longer feel any pity,

• 228 toon22 // Aug 17, 2015 at 9:57 PM

My prediction for the Manu game is Mitro sent off and a 4:0 defeat.
    Every single ref decision will go there way.
    It seems the league want us in that bottom group of 5 by the end of the season so we can join the “whos going down” fun the world wide tv audience seems to enjoy.

• 229 matt11_25 // Aug 17, 2015 at 9:58 PM

Also, saw mention it’s a short stay lot, probably dropping the fam off (luggage quantity seems to back that up as well)

• 230 cestriasteve // Aug 17, 2015 at 9:59 PM

On Cabella, I said before we signed him I didn’t think he was good enough for the EPL and we are actually playing him out of position. I reckon Thauvin will be absolutely amazing for the toon. Pace, potentially strong, vision and passing.

Great signing but that’s just my opinion.

• 231 Offkey // Aug 17, 2015 at 10:01 PM

How many reds did mitrovic get in Belgium, if not that many is there league violent, refs lenient……or much a do about nothing

• 232 the broons // Aug 17, 2015 at 10:02 PM

Lee Charnley

I don’t see how going out on loan would benefit us though? Armstrong needed goals and thats exactly what hes getting at coventry.

Yeah De jong needs fitness but he could get that gradually in the under 21’s and on the rraining pitch and at his own pace too. On loan where he would be playing in a quite aggressive league where he is more likely to take a knock.

• 233 LGFUAD21 // Aug 17, 2015 at 10:07 PM

He’s had 1 red at partizan and 8 yellows his whole career according to whoscored.

From what little I’ve seen the Belgium league isn’t especially aggressive. Slightly more than France but certainly not more than the premier league v

• 234 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 17, 2015 at 10:08 PM

In Mitro’s professional career he has been sent off 3 times

once in the Europa League in 12/13 season
    twice in the Jupiler league in 13/14 season

• 235 LGFUAD21 // Aug 17, 2015 at 10:09 PM

I still think cabella could come good but I never thought he was a great prospect. He was good in France and had a few outstanding games but he never convinced. A lot of his play looked sketchy and lucky.

I always wanted Grenier to replace Cabaye

• 236 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 17, 2015 at 10:10 PM

Im buzzin Thauvin is coming in. A proper winger who can operate on both flanks. I can’t knock anything that would be an upgrade on Obertan.

I still think Cisse and Sissoko are off though.

• 237 jimmysmith // Aug 17, 2015 at 10:11 PM

I guess Thauvin is Obertans replacement and seen as the solution to the problem of the left wing, considering McClaren seems to think Aarons isn’t ready. The club appears to be quite ruthless when it gets the opportunity to move in the transfer market. Gouffran, Cabella, Willo and others look finished, and if I was Obertan, Cisse or Saylor, I wouldn’t be feeling too secure either, despite figuring.

• 238 elpaso_geordie // Aug 17, 2015 at 10:18 PM

why spend the money on Thauvin when we have Aarons, we are going to lose this kid as he doesn’t play he wont sign a new contract. We are gonna waste a huge potential talent that if given games ala sterling could be worth Sterling type money in the next few years.
    We finally look to spend money and we don’t seem to know what position is priority – I bloody do so how does McLaren et al not .
    Mike will do this once only and if we get this wrong we are royally fu*ked
    p.s. Colocicini contract was another big mistake

• 239 9 // Aug 17, 2015 at 10:18 PM

Gorgonzola et al re HBA
    The lad had a lot of talent. In his last season he was perfectly useless. As he consistently lost the ball 90% of the time, he struck me as the opposition’s midfield ball-winner. No manager on this earth could continue to play him in that sort of form – an extra man for the opposition! Yes, I saw his fabulous efforts for us ( I was at Fulham for his amazing goal, e.g.)but overall he is a dead loss and will never be seen as anything else in future. What a shame.

• 240 jimmysmith // Aug 17, 2015 at 10:20 PM

I don’t think Sissoko is going, unless he’s agitating, or the really big offer comes in. I think he’s nailed on to start on the right, as he does for France.

• 241 Offkey // Aug 17, 2015 at 10:21 PM

Cheers for the responses, although he may look slightly suspect I guess there is not a great risk…….mitrovic to start!

• 242 9 // Aug 17, 2015 at 10:22 PM

Sadly, we’ve bought some pups: Goofy, Cabella (who does have talent) and the hapless Riveire. But Mr Carr has plenty of credit to offset these losers.

• 243 9 // Aug 17, 2015 at 10:24 PM

Offkey @241
    Please see either
    a) previous posts, or
    b) common sense. What has the idiotic lad done TWICE in two opportunities?

• 244 jimmysmith // Aug 17, 2015 at 10:26 PM

I think the Collocini extension will be seen by far fewer as an error if we get Abdennour. Along with Mbemba, that’s an impressive first choice three CB’s.

previous post: Newcastle After World-Class Defender – To Push Spending To £60M