The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Brilliant Newcastle Youngster Wowing Them At Coventry

8:28 am, Monday, August 17th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 14 Comments

Coventry manager Tony Mowbray has talked about Newcastle’s young striker Adam Armstrong, and how he is inspiring some of his own players with his brilliant play in his first two games on loan, where he has already  scored four goals.

The 18 year-old England U19 striker has been sent out on loan by head coach Steve McClaren until January to get some first team experience, and he has started very well scoring a brace in each of his first two games.

adam armstrong millwall scored seocnd

Adam Armstrong in action on Saturday

The local lad’s  first goal on Saturday at Milwall, when he lobbed the ball over the goalkeeper, was something to see (video is below).

Tony Mowbray is happy he has got the young Geordie star for six months:

“I’m trying not to build him up because he’s 18 years old and he hasn’t done anything in the game yet so he needs to keep his feet on the ground.”

“And yet he’s almost a role model for our young players to see what the next level up is, and how hard they have to work at to become that good.”

“On the training pitch he is so fast, strong and clever with the ball – he’s above the level of our players and it’s good for me.”

“The Maddisons and Lameiras’s can look at him and think ‘Wow – and he can’t get near the Premier League so this is where I have to take my game!’”

“He made his debut at Newcastle United at the age of 16 and I think he’s made 18 first-team appearances so we’ve done really well to get him and I thank Steve McClaren for allowing that to happen.”

“Obviously they’ve bought a £15M center-forward and they’ve got lots of talent up front so I’m just happy he’s with us.”

“He’s a great lad who works as hard as all the others. On the training pitch he’s just an 18-year-old boy not a Premier Division star.”

“The good thing for me and the coaches is that he listens, tries to do what you ask him. When a coach comes up with a game plan and the players make it happen then you’ve got a chance.”

Adam has so far made 19 first team appearances for Newcastle, and made his debut only five weeks after he had turned 17 against Fulham in March of last year.

He’s currently played for all the England Youth sides from U16 through U19 and made 27 appearances so far for England at the various youth levels.

It would be great if Adam can keep up his good form and keep scoring goals for Coventry, and maybe help them  in a promotion push.

Here’s some video of his goals on Saturday at Milwall.

Tags: Adam Armstrong · Loan Moves · Newcastle News · Newcastle Youth · Premier League

14 responses so far ↓

• 1 beermonkey // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:31 AM

championship for him in jan till the end of the season and see if he keeps scoring

• 2 Ron Knee // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:31 AM

I think there’s a big difference between what he says in public and what he says behind the scenes. I also think he has more influence than Pardew/Carver. Isn’t he pals with Carr?

I’m hoping he can get Charmless to act intelligently for once – but I’m not holding my breath!

PS Ca$hley out!

• 3 JamesToon // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:40 AM

Soccer sauce and GFN france both saying that Thauvin is a done deal. Happy with this as he’s a good set piece taker and more of a direct winger than cabella (who i hope is given a chance)

Soccer sauce also said that we’ve opened talks with psv over Jetro Willems

• 4 Jail for Ashley // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:40 AM

I wonder how much we’ll get for him !

• 5 JamesToon // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:42 AM

Le Provence say we will turn our attention to Abdennour after Thauvin however there will be some serious financial hurdles.

• 6 Ron Knee // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:42 AM

I wonder if McClaren wants Thauvin!

• 7 sparky55 // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:47 AM

My worry is we’re still pursuing Thauvin when we don’t really need him, which in my book means he’s coming in because someone else is going…and IMO that person going is Sissoko and the club know it’ll have to be a good signing to replace or there’ll be hell on (not that that’ll worry Ashley like!)…

Think is we’ll get 16-17million for Sissoko which means we’ll have the cash to buy an other CB with the change from buying Thauvin and that’ll be the window done.

• 8 Ron Knee // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:48 AM

La Provence said his contribution to yesterday’s match was “insipid”. Worrying.

• 9 ilovetoon8788 // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:50 AM

We don’t need thauvin. I think he’s a poorer player than our already useless cabella. I don’t mind him as long as money is available to strengthen our defence which we so badly need.

• 10 JamesToon // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:53 AM

I think Thauvin could easily replace Obertan. He has great set piece ability which we’ve been lacking and also incredible pace and skill. Maybe McClaren will be able to get the best out of him

• 11 JamesToon // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:54 AM

But we need Cabella as de Jong will mostly likely be injured a lot of the time in the AMC position

• 12 beermonkey // Aug 17, 2015 at 8:56 AM

we have perez wijnaldum dejong that can play amc no10 role we don’t need cabella
    we need some width

• 13 Jib // Aug 17, 2015 at 9:00 AM

It’a announced!!

• 14 The overrated Frenchman // Aug 17, 2015 at 9:01 AM

Willems is about two foot tall. Exactly what we need in defence. And Thauvin now to join Cabella in the squad for a combined cost of about £20 million, so it seems. Happy days.

previous post: McClaren Explains The Kind Of Player Mitrovic Is