Thauvin In Newcastle Tomorrow For Medical And Six Year Deal

There are reports in France that Marseilles winger Florian Thauvin has been given permission to travel to Newcastle tomorrow morning, after terms have finally been agreed between Newcastle and Marseilles for his transfer.

Those terms are £12M (€17M) and include Remy Cabella going for a season long loan to Marseilles, with the French club having an option to buy the French International, who had a tough time of it on Tyneside last season.

Florian THAUVIN -8688

Florian Thauvin – to sign six year deal

We had hoped Remy Cabella would be given more time at Newcastle to prove himself, but it doesn’t look like that will happen.

The French reports say that Florian will be offered a six year deal, and will discuss terms with the club, but usually when players fly in for the medical,  everything has usually been agreed to beforehand – so basically he will come in for a medical before signing along the dotted line.

The wages offered are said to be around €3M a year – which is £2.1M/year – around £40K/week – good money if you can get it.

Newcastle have been after the French U21 International since he was at Bastia before he moved to Lille in January, 2013,  and Graham Carr has tracked him all this time, and it looks like his efforts will come to fruition tomorrow.

It seems that Steve McClaren was also keen on getting Florin to Newcastle, and we tried a few times earlier in the summer, but at that time head coach Marcelo Bielsa blocked the move.

However with Bielsa having resigned last weekend,  it has left the door open for Newcastle to get their man.

Other terms of the agreement being reported are that Marseilles have the option to buy Remy Cabella for €8M – around £5.6M – presumably if the French International does well on loan.

Other news in London tonight are that Newcastle are having second thoughts on Charlie Austin, and they are still not willing to pay out the £15M for the 26 year-old striker, but surely we need defenders brought in before September rather than another striker?

But this deal for Thauvin will be a good one as far as Newcastle fans are concerned, and the lad is a gifted player and hopefully he can settle in quickly at Newcastle.

We’d be a lot happier if a top defender comes through the door in the next two weeks,  and we have been linked today with Monaco’s Aymen Abdennour, who would be a great buy if we can get him.

• 9

Aug 17, 2015 at 10:29 PM

Can’t express any opinion about Thauvin, as I’m completely ignorant about him, but I do know we will never miss Mr Cabella, because I have seen him. He has talent but is useless in our League. Bye- bye, good result for NUFC.

• Toon-Prodigy

Aug 17, 2015 at 10:32 PM

Hopefully he will be ready for Old Trafford, is there any news on Sissoko’s injury?

• overtheline

Aug 17, 2015 at 10:35 PM

will Cabella going the other way for a year’s wages and 8 mill euros be a break even on his inwards fee from Montpelier or are we losing on this like we did on Santon ?

• elpaso_geordie

Aug 17, 2015 at 10:36 PM

why spend the money on Thauvin when we have Aarons, we are going to lose this kid as he doesn’t play he wont sign a new contract. We are gonna waste a huge potential talent that if given games ala sterling could be worth Sterling type money in the next few years.
    We finally look to spend money and we don’t seem to know what position is priority – I bloody do so how does McLaren et al not .
    Mike will do this once only and if we get this wrong we are royally fu*ked
    p.s. Colocicini contract was another big mistake

• JamesToon

Aug 17, 2015 at 10:38 PM

Bournemouth set an example on how to play against a big team and make your fans proud tonight. Need to press man united high up the pitch and attack them, lose 3-0 I don’t care as long as we play to win not play to not get beat

• 9

Aug 17, 2015 at 10:39 PM

over@3
    Santon would be quite useful in our squad. January2015 was the absolute disaster of all our owner’s actions. Let’s hope for better!

• 9

Aug 17, 2015 at 10:42 PM

Man U are no great shakes. Unfortunately, neither are we. I’m not at all worried by the opposition, I’m worried by us (3 headed goals in 2 matches WTF)

• 9

Aug 17, 2015 at 10:44 PM

(night night) no point talking to myself

• andrewsneill

Aug 17, 2015 at 10:45 PM

£5.6m seems a ridiculously low fee for Cabella. I’d rather keep him and see what SM can do with him in our new passing style for that kind of money

• Offkey

Aug 17, 2015 at 10:45 PM

Elpaso – in the absence of any real knowledge of this fella my 2 worries are

1. He will be used as an inverted winger and will not do a decent cross with his right foot.
    2. He will be played on the left and stunt Aarons development.

9 – on mitrovic, I honestly think its a young lad trying to hard with limited time, start him, if he f’s up he can only blame himself.

On hba, I am one of the hba lovers I am afraid, would have kept him myself. I genuinely believe that its about the people around him. I have some ‘issues’ where many would say that I am unmanageable in a work environment, doesn’t mean I am bad at my job……in fact I am better than most of my colleugues because of my ‘issues’……managers don’t like me though 🙂

• jimmysmith

Aug 17, 2015 at 10:56 PM

Thauvin will be good in theory. That ostensibly gives us a genuine talent on the left, if he is the real McCoy, and also a great young understudy in Aarons, who if he’s good enough will unseat him, and certainly will get to play regardless. They won’t restrict a genuine talent.

• Offkey

Aug 17, 2015 at 11:02 PM

Jimmy – a lot of faith there mate, the talent of obertan seems to be restricting his playing time a the moment

• jimmysmith

Aug 17, 2015 at 11:07 PM

It’s early doors, both in the season and the young mans career, which looks like it could be a special one. You’d have to have little faith in McClaren to think he’d hold the player back for short term gain.

• Polarboy

Aug 17, 2015 at 11:12 PM

Only last week Wenger was saying that he regretted playing Wilshere so often when he was younger because he thinks it might have have led to his appalling injury record. Point is that McClaren has a name for bringing through young players so we should probably wait and judge him after more than 2 games.

• Offkey

Aug 17, 2015 at 11:13 PM

Jimmy – yeah I understand, mcclaren stated it would take 2-3 months to be starting……Hopefully to try and get more out of the chap…….but obertan 🙂

• BandB

Aug 17, 2015 at 11:20 PM

I have changed my mind on signing Thauvin simply because Obertan is likely to play on the left until someone else is brought in.
    I think McClaren might have been more inclined to go with Aarons if Dummett was fit. Aarons needs to be slowly introduced into the team and not expected to be ready to play every week now. He could easily break down if asked to do too much.

• OneAlanShearer

Aug 17, 2015 at 11:20 PM

Just a thought but people keep saying we don’t need forwards…what if they intend to let cisse and sissoko leave. What if aarons doesn’t intend to sign a new contract. Plus our goals for last season was almost as bad as our goals against. We have an unbalanced side and a striker who needs crosses into him so they are addressing the imbalance. Yes we need defenders but we also need to improve up front.

• jimmysmith

Aug 17, 2015 at 11:21 PM

Yeah, ha, that’s more difficult to fathom, at face value. Ive put forward a few theories, and they have been given short shrift on here. Ha!

• Tsunki

Aug 17, 2015 at 11:25 PM

Can’t say I care much for these haircuts were buying in. Is Carr trying to assemble a coconut shy?

• Offkey

Aug 17, 2015 at 11:33 PM

Tsunki – how did you guess my issue was my hair cut.

Polar and bandb – accepted on the injury/burn out front, but can’t help thinking that if you’re good enough you’re old enough……..just hoping it’s the right call and doesn’t lead us to losing him…..especially if he is good enough, would be a real shame…..but a double edge sword, play him more interest, don’t play him he looks elsewhere

• Brian Pinas

Aug 17, 2015 at 11:40 PM

He looks like a serial killer.

• BandB

Aug 17, 2015 at 11:41 PM

Offkey,

I hope that if Thauvin comes in, Aarons will move above Obertan in the pecking order, and so will still get his chances to gain strength and experience. I think he will be great. But right now, he isn’t. We need to buy some goals and crosses as much as we need another centre back.

• Tsunki

Aug 17, 2015 at 11:46 PM

Well we know that SM has few options if his first pick is Colback, Obertan, the fairweather Sissoko….

• Toon-Prodigy

Aug 17, 2015 at 11:48 PM

It’s all about competition for places, players having to up their games.

I wish it was 2 weeks time so all the ins and outs were done and we can assess the squad properly. It will be no good if all that has changed is like for like without building or strengthening the squad as a whole.

Thauvin is just a replacement for Cabella in the squad by the look of it.

But im atleast pleased we are trying in the market right now and are active. It’s the players out i’ll be monitoring the most over the next couple of weeks.

• toon kk

Aug 17, 2015 at 11:50 PM

Has Thauvin left school yet? He looks very young and rather unhappy! !!!

• Offkey

Aug 17, 2015 at 11:50 PM

Bandb – can’t dispute that, also crosses are needed and I am hoping that mitrovic is the man to bang them in, even don’t mind the idea of a cisse mitrovic partnership if crosses are flying in……could see lot of goals……at both ends.

Brian pinas – insightful……but amusing

• Tsunki

Aug 17, 2015 at 11:51 PM

I don’t know who is at the core of this gutless streak we have in the club at the moment, maybe it’s Colo, maybe Sissoko, maybe Cisse, but there are a few characters Steve needs to shake out to cut the rot out of this side. We play in mood swings, a decent fighting spirit one week, a slack jawed idle loafing jaunt the next.

• Tsunki

Aug 17, 2015 at 11:52 PM

Toon kk funny you should say that, it’s sort of how I imagine Ketsy looks. 🙂

• Offkey

Aug 17, 2015 at 11:56 PM

Brian pinas – checked the blog your blue name is linked to, if it’s yours well done for not overtly advertising…….keep posting and I will check it out when I see your name

• jimmysmith

Aug 17, 2015 at 11:57 PM

“a slack jawed idle loafing jaunt”, excellent.

I’ll commit that one to memory and pass it off as my own.

• Shadow_Shearer

Aug 17, 2015 at 11:59 PM

There won’t be alot lost on cabella if we get £5.6 million. We paid 8 million for him. From what I’ve seen cabella has mainly been played on the wings which is not his natural position, so there maybe some method to the madness!

• toon kk

Aug 18, 2015 at 12:01 AM

Tsunki
    your right there’s some sort of spanner in the works, we are capable of being a decent side but for what ever reason there’s something or someone who’s spoiling the party! !!!

• JP...from The Rock

Aug 18, 2015 at 12:04 AM

I think we will flog Obertan now. I see this guy as his replacement not Aarons. Its a pity McClaren didn’t get to work with Cabella as I still think he could have made it. Maybe Cabella gets injured out on loan and they dont take the option to buy and he comes to us, who knows. But Thauvin looks like a talent and better than Cabella even though his Fifa 15 stats don’t think the same as I do (they rate Cabella better).

Carr has rarely got a long scouted target wrong and this guys name has been doing the rounds for ages now, so I think he will be a hit for us.

• Tsunki

Aug 18, 2015 at 12:05 AM

Jimmy I’ve often said all my material is open source, except I don’t even need the credit ha ha. Or the Blame, as we like to call it sometimes 🙂

You know, I’m going to take a controversial stand and say Cabella may have been given a raw deal. When he first same in against Man Citeh I thought ‘Ey up, we’ve got something here, but I think he’s suffered from being a bit isolated by a collectively hapless midfield. He’s a fish out of water in a side where close passing is like asking your team mate if he would care for a dose of herpes. If we had any shape or gumption in midfield, which I haven’t seen since Jonas and Anita had that spark against a fairly chronic west ham, he’d fare a lot better, and maybe he’d be able to keep that Gallic chin up instead of being a cheese consuming capitulation expert.

• Toon-Prodigy

Aug 18, 2015 at 12:07 AM

Im pretty excited about Arrons and Thauvin battling it out for the front left spot. He can also bring competition for the front right also if Sissoko is staying. Plenty competition in the middle of the park already.

The quality is suspect in defence but there is competion in all but RB but there is young Sterry who seems to be doing ok, think he scored tonight for the under 21s.

If everyone stays here apart from the obvious who should be leaving, Obertan, Gouffran, Williamson, then there isn’t much left to do for the squad really in my view apart from an upgrade and competion in defence.

• Sazzer

Aug 18, 2015 at 12:08 AM

Shadow_Shearer
    What Palace paid for Pardew will cover most of it.

• lukes26

Aug 18, 2015 at 12:15 AM

Brian

I was just about to post the same thing!!

He looks like someone I would just absolutely hate

• Shadow_Shearer

Aug 18, 2015 at 12:25 AM

Just watched a little bit of this guy on YouTube, ofcourse u can’t take alot from couple of clips on YouTube, but he reminds me a tiny touch of Di Maria. Only a tiny touch.
    My understanding was SM wants wingers who can defend aswel, he doesn’t look like he can. However he is fast, skillful, direct & unafraid to take on players. In other words, better than cabella.

• Mister Tuff

Aug 18, 2015 at 12:27 AM

A good result at the weekend was the Arsenal victory over Palace. Wiped the smile from King Percys’ juju lipped jellied eel scoffing gob. Tremendous result.

• blacksmith

Aug 18, 2015 at 12:30 AM

Thauvin seems just OK to me. A slower, smaller but, perhaps, more effective Obertan. He doesn’t particularly excite me. He seems more geared to scoring than assisting.

I see him playing as part of an attacking triumvirate with Aarons and Mitro.

Aarons will be gently re-introduced with the refurbished Obertan (and Gouffran) providing cover.

Pitty to see another prospect leave before making a real impact. Cabella seemed to lack the physical attributes to be effective in the Premier League. Him moving on is perhaps the best solution but it leaves one to wonder about what could have been. I hope it doesn’t discourage others from joining.