The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Big Challenge This Season For Tim Krul

10:04 pm, Tuesday, August 18th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 57 Comments

The two Nottingham Forest players, goalkeeper Karl Darlow and center-back Jamaal Lascelles, who joined us this summer after singing on at Newcastle a year ago played quite a bit in pre-season.

But only Karl Darlow has landed up on the bench but there’s still time for Jamaal to improve on Tyneside, and hopefully be fighting soon for a first team place – that’s why Newcastle signed him.

karl darlow

Karl Darlow arriving at training on first day

Karl Darlow has played 111 times for Nottingham Forest and Jamaal has 62 game for them so they are both well experienced in the Championship.

Karl played for the Newcastle U21 side last night in the 1-1 draw with Blackburn Rovers and he’s earned rave reviews from U21 development manager Peter Beardsley.

This is what Peter said about Karl after the game on the Newcastle web-site:

“Karl was brilliant, from the moment he knew he was playing, right until the moment he left the dressing room after the match.”

“He’s a good leader and has plenty of experience from playing in the Championship – that’s why I made him captain, and he was excellent.”

Steve McClaren was there to watch the game last night, and it was the debut of 19 year-old striker Ivan Toney and he had a decent game but we think he may be sent out on loan to gain more first team experience.

steve mcclaren at ivan toney debut u21

Steve McClaren at the U21 game last night
Looks like Lee Charnley was also there next to Steve

It looks like Karl currently is the number two goalkeeper behind Tim Krul and ahead of Rob Elliot, and he will no doubt be pushing Tim Krul hard for a first team place.

Karl is already an accomplished goalkeeper and obviously now we know he’s also a first class professional with leadership qualities.

Tim will have to be on his toes this season to keep his place in the Newcastle nets, after he was uncharacteristically out of form under John Carver last season.

Tags: Ivan Toney · Karl Darlow · Newcastle News · Rob Elliot · Tim Krul

57 responses so far ↓

• 1 SUTTY1978 // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:06 PM

Our toon, the point was that earlier people were extolling the virtues of buying Thauvin based on his awesome set piece delivery. A talent which lead to a couple of assists last season from hundreds of set pieces. Was just making a sarcastic point that if thats what we wanted we could just recall Fergie from his loan. Sure he could manage a couple of assists from a season full of set pieces

• 2 Tsunki // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:08 PM

Ashley Out!

• 3 ronaldo aarons // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:09 PM

Our toon
    I’m not a stat kind of guy but cabella had 21 starts last year and 10 sub appearances. He scored only one goal and set up 2. Assists only bettered by janmaat and colback, on par with Sissoko, ameobi and tiote. It’s interesting seeing as Sissoko had almost twice as many more minutes as cabella.

I’m not defending or slating him btw. For me though, what he lacks is for the premier league is that burst of pace. That explosiveness from the off that allows you to beat players. Without that I don’t think the majority of wingers or attacking mids would be successful in the epl.

I posted this on the last article before I noticed this new one.

• 4 Tsunki // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:10 PM

Doesn’t matter how good he is. How many set pieces have we made this year?

• 5 WWSBRD // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:10 PM

I bloody hope so Krul has stagnated since Harper left

• 6 Jail for Ashley // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:10 PM

Why always second ?

• 7 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:11 PM

Yo/Ibiza…I am nor holding my breath either!

…at least we can all count on the club stating “mistakes were made” and then tells us in the summer that we shouldn’t dwell on the past and look the future 😉

*They crack me up sometimes!

• 8 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:11 PM

*nor = not

• 9 Ibizatoon // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:12 PM

Tsunki…Now, when you say “year”, can you clarify that any further?

Calendar year? Footballing year (not a Newcastle one, that’s also a calendar year)?

Either way, my answer is…not as many as we’ll get this “year”, whatever that may actually mean.

• 10 Ibizatoon // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:13 PM

Jesper…They’re pretty unfortunate to keep having all these new mistakes happen to them.

Oh well, as long as they keep learning!

• 11 Our Toon // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:14 PM

Let’s say hypothetically we don’t buy thauvin and keep Cabella….We would still be spending 5m on Cabella this season as part of his add ons to montpellier. I like all others want another CB but chances are thauvin or not that CB isn’t coming in, especially with Colo signing a new deal.

• 12 Jail for Ashley // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:14 PM

He has stagnated when put as a last line of defence that has conceded an average of 61 goals a season, his display against Spurs and his call up to the WC semi finalists must surely show he is not that bad.

• 13 Tsunki // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:15 PM

Because I’m waiting for you to do your job, Jail.

• 14 WWSBRD // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:16 PM

Yeah the club will have another load of excuses but hopefully McClaren wont be the new happy mouth piece though and potentially the football will be better to watch

• 15 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:17 PM

Ibiza…yeah! At least the don’t pile all the trouble on themselves!

• 16 Our Toon // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:18 PM

What them stats don’t tell you for Sissoko is how many goals came from him breaking through midfield going past players are committing players. If Cabella did the same I’d be here advocating he stay. Prime example being Chelsea at home for Cisse’s tap in 2nd goal. Sissoko didn’t get the assist but he committed the players for Thame ball to roll into Cisse’s path.

Can you think of many Cabella moments like that which led to goals? I can think of plenty of occasions when we’d break and Cabella got the ball, instead of passing it and keeping momentum going he’d do a pointless stepover try taking someone on….failing and return back to where he started thus assisting the opposition to reorganise

• 17 Llort muw // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:18 PM

No, my evil plan has been foiled… Lol.

But seriously, my name is a joke, nothing more. 😀

• 18 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:19 PM

Yo…the last part gives me comfort, but I am not holding my breath on the mouth piece thing!

…as of now he seems to speak from the same textbook as Pardew!

• 19 Ibizatoon // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:19 PM

Jesper…That would be frustrating.

Yo…Talking of club mouthpieces, has Charnley uudated his comments about not leaving all the talking to the HC, as they had done with Pardew?

Is the answer matchday programmes, NUFC TV and the fans forum?

• 20 WWSBRD // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:22 PM

Our Toon
    Would we? Why? I dont know the ins and outs of the deal that brought Cabella here and I imagine u dont either. As for that 5 mill drop in the ocean comes to mind considering the financial power of our club

I cant think of anything he is better at now than he was 3 years ago. The defense in front of him is crap but the keeper behind him is worse, if he has some competition maybe he will try to improve himself instead of being comfortable with where he is

• 21 Our Toon // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:22 PM

Does anyone think Janmaat is sitting at home and having a little chuckle to himself because he doesn’t have to face Memphis on Saturday?

Seems he took the cowards option to me

• 22 Jib // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:23 PM

This would seem to be what has happened.

The Toon were going to sign Joel Matip this weekend.
    However Matija Nastasic snapped his achilles tendon (sound familiar) on Sunday playing against Werder Bremen and Benedikt Howedes also has a long term injury.
    Alexander Schutt , Matip’s very influential agent has tentatively agreed to Schalkes proposal that Joel’s transfer be delayed until the next window however Schutt has been tasked with getting a tall CB on loan for 6 months for NUFC .
    If nothing seems to be happening next week Charnley will look elswhere which would be a shame for Matip because apparently he really wants the move.

• 23 toonicle // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:23 PM

Our Toon- Exactly my thought on Cabella as well. All he did was lose possession.

• 24 WWSBRD // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:24 PM

Yeah am not holding my breath either but McClaren is in a better position than Pardew was so u never know

Hey mate we have a shiny new NUFC 24/7 video every week now is that not communication enough?

• 25 Jail for Ashley // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:27 PM

If you’re uncle had a fanny she’d be called Bobbina !

• 26 AncientC // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:27 PM

Last season the top 3 problems were: (imo)

1. Leaky defence.
    2. Isolated striker.
    3. Inability to play a passing game.

As far as I can tell, only problem 3 has been worked on.

Signing 1 defender as a punt from a foreign league is not a foolproof methodology…. neither is carrying on with an isolated striker.

All eggs are in the formation it would seem.

• 27 Our Toon // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:27 PM

As part of the Cabella deal we apparently agreed to 5m of add ons based on appearances. A deal reported to be 12m including the add ons. Now we’ve paid the 7m upfront, if we keep the PSK (pointless stepover king) then play him a certain amount of games he automatically costs us an additional 5m.

Which is why I say in all reality thauvin is costing us 4.8m or maybe less. If Cabella signs for OM he’ll cost 5.8m, add his 5m add on which we’ll avoid and 2m for his loan fee or 3m whichever it is then in all reality thauvin comes cheap!!

• 28 ronaldo aarons // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:28 PM

Our toon
    That’s why I’m not a stat person. But no I can’t recall specific instances but what I can recall is at the start of the season before he got dropped the first time he did actually create a fair few chances which were not put away. A lot of people tend to forget this but I don’t because I didn’t want him dropped and felt he got gradually worse as the season went on.

• 29 Tsunki // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:29 PM

I think Cabella was a bit short changed by a lousy midfield personally. Getting Thauvin in won’t be like a new signing. More like a positional swap. I think it’s more to do with the Thauvin deal being long in the making, and Cabella being unhappy just oils the wheels.

• 30 ShirebrookToon // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:30 PM

Where is that info from?

• 31 Jail for Ashley // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:31 PM

Competition for places is something I hope “The board” addresses

• 32 WWSBRD // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:33 PM

Our Toon
    …so is it a set amount per game? Or lump sum? If its a lump sum is it in one installment or set amount after 10 games, then 20 games and so on ans so forth until the 5 mill is recouped? Is it all domestic appearances or is there some based on international appearances? And how many games is it before we pay this 5 mill? Have we already paid some of it?

All in all though I dont care either way, club finances are the club accountants job rather than mine….personally I couldnt care less how much the club spend

• 33 WWSBRD // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:33 PM

Haha I can be a dick at times cant I haha

• 34 WWSBRD // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:35 PM

Yeah well this Cabella Thauvin deals makes me think competition is still going to be the elephant in the room

• 35 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:36 PM

Pardew/Carver have never had a decent defence and the head coach took the blame for the brunt of it from most on here regardless of Ashley’s policies.

The squad has always been shockingly unbalanced but the coach has always took the rap because of MA policies.

Honestly, if we keep all our players this window I cannot grumble about MA. If we sell I will shout from the rooftops though.

By the look of it surpassing 50 mil.

3 youngsters brought in also with:

Colo is staying people need to get over this. He is here for atleast this season right or wrong he is our most experienced and you need that in this league especially with a newcomer like Mbemba coming in alongside him.

A defender coming in who can cover LB and RB with no sales amd outgoings and the window would be a success for me. I won’t be upset though if defensive cover isn’t brought in this window as that will be the priority for the next, Colo will have to be replaced at some point and soon. At the minute we are only 2 games in though. It could be recitified as early as January.

I can’t grumble at the minute but I will if we weaken the squad before Sept 1st without replacements brought in.

But, 50 mil is decent so far. And our midfield and forward line look sound to me.

• 36 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:37 PM

Ibiza…the minutes they released seems to indicate Charmless didn’t even utter a word!

…do we know for sure he can speak?

• 37 AncientC // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:38 PM

Is it just a coincidence that the club are signing/selling so many players listed with one agency?

• 38 ronaldo aarons // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:40 PM

Montpellier owner has started talking again!! This time he stays cabella leaving proves he is not stupid and when comparing him and thauvin says There isn’t even a competition… He (Cabella) is on another level and has a better attitude as well

• 39 Jail for Ashley // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:41 PM

I’ve seen those hideous photos of a person listed as Charnley fawning next to his paymaster but nobody knows if he actually exists as a footballing entity ?

• 40 Sazzer // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:42 PM

Interesting regarding Matip.

• 41 geordie157 // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:51 PM

Armstrong scores again, Coventry top of league 1.

Woodman produces an excellent display to earn a 0-0 draw with pompey.

• 42 Tsunki // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:54 PM

I dunno what I’m looking forward to most – Thauvin taking two weeks to get announced, guessing how badly we will be humped by manure, or the next Charlie Austin article. Definitely the Austin article now I think about it.

• 43 Offkey // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:54 PM

Ancientc – think your probably thinking back to those mooted ‘financial’ deals for players that undermined kk. To be fair, I understand the logic, keep the agents happy and they may well be able to persuade there clients nufc is a good move……may very well be some sort of link……on the other hand, could be they are just big agents with a lot of decent players on the books….however, we have also been linked with a number of those e.g. pato, alderwieild etc.

• 44 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:00 PM

Ancient C,

Carr is well in with that agency then!

• 45 Our Toon // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:01 PM

Ahahaha good questions, apparently it’s 1 lump sum after reaching a certain amount of league games.

• 46 welshgeordie9 // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:01 PM

What’s the latest on Charlie Austin, have we signed him yet.

• 47 Munster Mag // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:07 PM

Jail i dont know what the problem is. I make a point that i think carr is overrated but this connects with moaners or something? When does carr carry the can?? When do we realise that most of his recommendations dont turn into good signings? I suppose it was pardews fault that cabella didnt cut the mustard. That mbiwa didnt suit england. That santon could not defend.
    As for charnley , he has done well this summer and i dont think we appreciate the hassles of signing a bloke like mitrovic

• 48 WWSBRD // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:18 PM

Our Toon
    Haha what can I say am a curious type

I would be surprised if it was as straight forward as that mate seems far too easy for NUFC to wriggle out of if its just ’30 games and u get 5 mill extra’ but either way 5 mill is nothing in in the BPL

• 49 Mister Tuff // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:41 PM

Moanster – you may be covering your ears and eyes but King Percy was involved in the transfers.
    A quote from Carr –
    ““However, Alan is different. No matter how hectic his schedule is he will find time to go to watch a player who I have recommended. That’s a great commitment.”
    So yes we can blame King Percy for his part in the transfers.

• 50 Our Toon // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:43 PM

I’m not sure the full ins and outs of it but it’s apparently based on league games played. Either way it’s an additional 5m on a dud who did nothing last season

• 51 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:44 PM

Unsure about that, as Pardew never got what he wanted at this club. He shouted many times for what he did want but they never arrived.

Hung out to dry and given what he didn’t need springs to mind.

• 52 Our Toon // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:50 PM

I’ll start giving Carr some stick when we start signing most of his NO.1 targets and not the no.5 to no.10 targets like Riviere, Gouffran etc.

I don’t understand why you struggle to comprehend the notion that his no.1 to no.3 targets are out of our financial reach….like Ayew on a free, we couldn’t afford him or the 5.7m signing on fee.

I bet for every player you put forward as a dud, somewhere along the line they’ve come in because we’ve missed our main targets

• 53 Jail for Ashley // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:50 PM

There seem to be loads of affordable links, whether or not they Carrs recommendations remains to be seen, surely in a normal footballing environment it should be the manager who takes the can, or in our case the owner who will only put up the dosh for players who will or might turn a profit !

• 54 jimmysmith // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:50 PM

We have a defence that is good going forward and playing the ball out of defence, but poor when exposed. Colo cops it, but Haidarra and Janmaat if anything are worse. I think the plan is essentially a simple one, attack and score more than the opposition, because that is the strength of this group of players. Of course, it can get ugly if the opposition actually is better at attacking than we are, and come out of the blocks hard and fast.

• 55 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 19, 2015 at 12:25 AM

I don’t think Janmaat falls into the bad bracket just yet. All footballers have nightmare games. After two games seems a little harsh, this lad played in the world cup last summer and did well and for us last season also.

Haidara, well this lad has never shone for me and I think he has a fair way to go to be considered a Premier League starter. An upgrade would be brilliant.

Colo has to remain I think atleast for this season to help bed Mbemba in, Taylor will be missing and Williamson a deffo no. Bringing two CB’s in with no Prem experience is a huge gamble so I understand the need to keep Colo on for atleast another year. Lascelles is not ready yet.

An upgrade on Haidara now and I’d be happy, especially if he can cover both sides.

I can’t knock that midfield and forward line at the minute. Thauvin can cover both flanks and with Aarons and Perez on the bench it’s looking OK.

Obviously if Cisse and Sissoko leave that won’t look as strong.

• 56 jimmysmith // Aug 19, 2015 at 12:36 AM

Yeah, I think Janmaat is extremely good going forward, but soberingly poor when isolated and being run at by a top winger. I think the Dutch tactics at the World Cup were a reflection of this.

• 57 remember69 // Aug 19, 2015 at 1:31 AM