Big Challenge This Season For Tim Krul

The two Nottingham Forest players, goalkeeper Karl Darlow and center-back Jamaal Lascelles, who joined us this summer after singing on at Newcastle a year ago played quite a bit in pre-season.

But only Karl Darlow has landed up on the bench but there’s still time for Jamaal to improve on Tyneside, and hopefully be fighting soon for a first team place – that’s why Newcastle signed him.

karl darlow

Karl Darlow arriving at training on first day

Karl Darlow has played 111 times for Nottingham Forest and Jamaal has 62 game for them so they are both well experienced in the Championship.

Karl played for the Newcastle U21 side last night in the 1-1 draw with Blackburn Rovers and he’s earned rave reviews from U21 development manager Peter Beardsley.

This is what Peter said about Karl after the game on the Newcastle web-site:

“Karl was brilliant, from the moment he knew he was playing, right until the moment he left the dressing room after the match.”

“He’s a good leader and has plenty of experience from playing in the Championship – that’s why I made him captain, and he was excellent.”

Steve McClaren was there to watch the game last night, and it was the debut of 19 year-old striker Ivan Toney and he had a decent game but we think he may be sent out on loan to gain more first team experience.

steve mcclaren at ivan toney debut u21

Steve McClaren at the U21 game last night
Looks like Lee Charnley was also there next to Steve

It looks like Karl currently is the number two goalkeeper behind Tim Krul and ahead of Rob Elliot, and he will no doubt be pushing Tim Krul hard for a first team place.

Karl is already an accomplished goalkeeper and obviously now we know he’s also a first class professional with leadership qualities.

Tim will have to be on his toes this season to keep his place in the Newcastle nets, after he was uncharacteristically out of form under John Carver last season.

• SUTTY1978

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:06 PM

Repost

Our toon, the point was that earlier people were extolling the virtues of buying Thauvin based on his awesome set piece delivery. A talent which lead to a couple of assists last season from hundreds of set pieces. Was just making a sarcastic point that if thats what we wanted we could just recall Fergie from his loan. Sure he could manage a couple of assists from a season full of set pieces

• Tsunki

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:08 PM

Ashley Out!

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:09 PM

Our toon
    I’m not a stat kind of guy but cabella had 21 starts last year and 10 sub appearances. He scored only one goal and set up 2. Assists only bettered by janmaat and colback, on par with Sissoko, ameobi and tiote. It’s interesting seeing as Sissoko had almost twice as many more minutes as cabella.

I’m not defending or slating him btw. For me though, what he lacks is for the premier league is that burst of pace. That explosiveness from the off that allows you to beat players. Without that I don’t think the majority of wingers or attacking mids would be successful in the epl.

I posted this on the last article before I noticed this new one.

• Tsunki

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:10 PM

Doesn’t matter how good he is. How many set pieces have we made this year?

• WWSBRD

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:10 PM

I bloody hope so Krul has stagnated since Harper left

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:10 PM

Tsunki,
    Why always second ?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:11 PM

Yo/Ibiza…I am nor holding my breath either!

…at least we can all count on the club stating “mistakes were made” and then tells us in the summer that we shouldn’t dwell on the past and look the future 😉

*They crack me up sometimes!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:11 PM

*nor = not

• Ibizatoon

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:12 PM

Tsunki…Now, when you say “year”, can you clarify that any further?

Calendar year? Footballing year (not a Newcastle one, that’s also a calendar year)?

Either way, my answer is…not as many as we’ll get this “year”, whatever that may actually mean.

• Ibizatoon

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:13 PM

Jesper…They’re pretty unfortunate to keep having all these new mistakes happen to them.

Oh well, as long as they keep learning!

• Our Toon

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:14 PM

Sutty

Let’s say hypothetically we don’t buy thauvin and keep Cabella….We would still be spending 5m on Cabella this season as part of his add ons to montpellier. I like all others want another CB but chances are thauvin or not that CB isn’t coming in, especially with Colo signing a new deal.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:14 PM

WW…,
    He has stagnated when put as a last line of defence that has conceded an average of 61 goals a season, his display against Spurs and his call up to the WC semi finalists must surely show he is not that bad.

• Tsunki

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:15 PM

Because I’m waiting for you to do your job, Jail.

• WWSBRD

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:16 PM

jesper
    Yeah the club will have another load of excuses but hopefully McClaren wont be the new happy mouth piece though and potentially the football will be better to watch

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:17 PM

Ibiza…yeah! At least the don’t pile all the trouble on themselves!

• Our Toon

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:18 PM

Ronaldo

What them stats don’t tell you for Sissoko is how many goals came from him breaking through midfield going past players are committing players. If Cabella did the same I’d be here advocating he stay. Prime example being Chelsea at home for Cisse’s tap in 2nd goal. Sissoko didn’t get the assist but he committed the players for Thame ball to roll into Cisse’s path.

Can you think of many Cabella moments like that which led to goals? I can think of plenty of occasions when we’d break and Cabella got the ball, instead of passing it and keeping momentum going he’d do a pointless stepover try taking someone on….failing and return back to where he started thus assisting the opposition to reorganise

• Llort muw

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:18 PM

Clinath

No, my evil plan has been foiled… Lol.

But seriously, my name is a joke, nothing more. 😀

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:19 PM

Yo…the last part gives me comfort, but I am not holding my breath on the mouth piece thing!

…as of now he seems to speak from the same textbook as Pardew!

• Ibizatoon

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:19 PM

Jesper…That would be frustrating.

Yo…Talking of club mouthpieces, has Charnley uudated his comments about not leaving all the talking to the HC, as they had done with Pardew?

Is the answer matchday programmes, NUFC TV and the fans forum?

• WWSBRD

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:22 PM

Our Toon
    Would we? Why? I dont know the ins and outs of the deal that brought Cabella here and I imagine u dont either. As for that 5 mill drop in the ocean comes to mind considering the financial power of our club

JfA
    I cant think of anything he is better at now than he was 3 years ago. The defense in front of him is crap but the keeper behind him is worse, if he has some competition maybe he will try to improve himself instead of being comfortable with where he is

• Our Toon

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:22 PM

Does anyone think Janmaat is sitting at home and having a little chuckle to himself because he doesn’t have to face Memphis on Saturday?

Seems he took the cowards option to me

• Jib

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:23 PM

This would seem to be what has happened.

The Toon were going to sign Joel Matip this weekend.
    However Matija Nastasic snapped his achilles tendon (sound familiar) on Sunday playing against Werder Bremen and Benedikt Howedes also has a long term injury.
    Alexander Schutt , Matip’s very influential agent has tentatively agreed to Schalkes proposal that Joel’s transfer be delayed until the next window however Schutt has been tasked with getting a tall CB on loan for 6 months for NUFC .
    If nothing seems to be happening next week Charnley will look elswhere which would be a shame for Matip because apparently he really wants the move.

• toonicle

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:23 PM

Our Toon- Exactly my thought on Cabella as well. All he did was lose possession.

• WWSBRD

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:24 PM

jesper
    Yeah am not holding my breath either but McClaren is in a better position than Pardew was so u never know

Ibiza
    Hey mate we have a shiny new NUFC 24/7 video every week now is that not communication enough?

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:27 PM

Jeff,
    If you’re uncle had a fanny she’d be called Bobbina !

• AncientC

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:27 PM

Last season the top 3 problems were: (imo)

1. Leaky defence.
    2. Isolated striker.
    3. Inability to play a passing game.

As far as I can tell, only problem 3 has been worked on.

Signing 1 defender as a punt from a foreign league is not a foolproof methodology…. neither is carrying on with an isolated striker.

All eggs are in the 4.2.3.1 formation it would seem.

• Our Toon

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:27 PM

Wwsbrd

As part of the Cabella deal we apparently agreed to 5m of add ons based on appearances. A deal reported to be 12m including the add ons. Now we’ve paid the 7m upfront, if we keep the PSK (pointless stepover king) then play him a certain amount of games he automatically costs us an additional 5m.

Which is why I say in all reality thauvin is costing us 4.8m or maybe less. If Cabella signs for OM he’ll cost 5.8m, add his 5m add on which we’ll avoid and 2m for his loan fee or 3m whichever it is then in all reality thauvin comes cheap!!

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:28 PM

Our toon
    That’s why I’m not a stat person. But no I can’t recall specific instances but what I can recall is at the start of the season before he got dropped the first time he did actually create a fair few chances which were not put away. A lot of people tend to forget this but I don’t because I didn’t want him dropped and felt he got gradually worse as the season went on.

• Tsunki

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:29 PM

I think Cabella was a bit short changed by a lousy midfield personally. Getting Thauvin in won’t be like a new signing. More like a positional swap. I think it’s more to do with the Thauvin deal being long in the making, and Cabella being unhappy just oils the wheels.

• ShirebrookToon

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:30 PM

Jib

Where is that info from?

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:31 PM

WW…,
    Competition for places is something I hope “The board” addresses

• WWSBRD

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:33 PM

Our Toon
    …so is it a set amount per game? Or lump sum? If its a lump sum is it in one installment or set amount after 10 games, then 20 games and so on ans so forth until the 5 mill is recouped? Is it all domestic appearances or is there some based on international appearances? And how many games is it before we pay this 5 mill? Have we already paid some of it?

All in all though I dont care either way, club finances are the club accountants job rather than mine….personally I couldnt care less how much the club spend

• WWSBRD

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:33 PM

Haha I can be a dick at times cant I haha

• WWSBRD

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:35 PM

JfA
    Yeah well this Cabella Thauvin deals makes me think competition is still going to be the elephant in the room

• Toon-Prodigy

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:36 PM

Pardew/Carver have never had a decent defence and the head coach took the blame for the brunt of it from most on here regardless of Ashley’s policies.

The squad has always been shockingly unbalanced but the coach has always took the rap because of MA policies.

Honestly, if we keep all our players this window I cannot grumble about MA. If we sell I will shout from the rooftops though.

Mbemba
    Wijnaldum
    Mitrovic
    Thauvin

By the look of it surpassing 50 mil.

3 youngsters brought in also with:

Darlow
    Lascelles
    Toney

Colo is staying people need to get over this. He is here for atleast this season right or wrong he is our most experienced and you need that in this league especially with a newcomer like Mbemba coming in alongside him.

A defender coming in who can cover LB and RB with no sales amd outgoings and the window would be a success for me. I won’t be upset though if defensive cover isn’t brought in this window as that will be the priority for the next, Colo will have to be replaced at some point and soon. At the minute we are only 2 games in though. It could be recitified as early as January.

I can’t grumble at the minute but I will if we weaken the squad before Sept 1st without replacements brought in.

But, 50 mil is decent so far. And our midfield and forward line look sound to me.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:37 PM

Ibiza…the minutes they released seems to indicate Charmless didn’t even utter a word!

…do we know for sure he can speak?

• AncientC

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:38 PM

Is it just a coincidence that the club are signing/selling so many players listed with one agency?

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:40 PM

Montpellier owner has started talking again!! This time he stays cabella leaving proves he is not stupid and when comparing him and thauvin says There isn’t even a competition… He (Cabella) is on another level and has a better attitude as well

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:41 PM

Jæsper,
    I’ve seen those hideous photos of a person listed as Charnley fawning next to his paymaster but nobody knows if he actually exists as a footballing entity ?

• Sazzer