The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Big Signing This Week – But Newcastle’s Weakness Remains

2:06 pm, Tuesday, August 18th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 103 Comments

It looks like Newcastle will be able to sign Florian Thauvin from Marseille today, with Remy Cabella going the other way – but initially on a loan deal, and there are reports that both players are traveling to their new clubs today to complete the deals.

Florian is a good player,  and it’s thought he will fit into Newcastle’s system better than Cabella, and in any case Graham Carr has been trying to get him to the club for three years now – so that may happen in the next day or two.

florian thauvin

Florian Thauvin – coming soon

If the reports in the local papers are accurate,  then this will be the last of Newcastle’s big money deals this summer but there may be smaller deals – probably to unload some players.

Haris Vuckic, Gael Bigirimana, Sylvain Marveaux, Mehdi Abeid, Rob Elliot, Yoan Gouffran and Mike Williamson are some of the players who may leave Newcastle before September, either permanently or on loan.

Newcastle will have paid out around £46M gross on four top players in Gini Wijnaldum, Aleksandar Mitrovic, Chancel Mbemba and Florian Thauvin, so Mike Ashley has invested heavily in the team this summer – as he said he would in late May.

We have brought in three defenders – Chancel Mbemba and both Jamaal Lascelles and Karl Darlow from their season loan deals to Nottingham Forest.

Jamaal does not look ready for the first team yet, and it will take some time for him to be ready.

So the Newcastle defense will still be the big weakness, and that’s even showing through in the first two games of the season when we have conceded four goals, and it could have been more.

There was news yesterday that Newcastle were after Monaco central defender Aymen Abdennour, and he would be a great signing for us.

However, the local papers are reporting that as far as big buys go this summer – that’s it with Thauvin  – so our defense will still be our weakness.

That’s unless Steve McClaren and Ian Cathro can sort out the back four,  and have them playing a lot better than they have performed in the first two games.

We would have been very happy if another top center-back had been brought in,  and along with the other four senior players plus Ivan Toney – it would have been an almost perfect summer transfer window for us.

But we have concerns the defense has still not been fixed.

What do you think?

Tags: Newcastle News · Recruitment · Scouting Network · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

103 responses so far ↓

• 1 Our Toon // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:09 PM

Shock horror if this is true….bare minimum to keep the masses happy

• 2 The Newcastle Armchair // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:13 PM

I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again

Mashers doesn’t buy defenders as they hardly ever get a resale value.

• 3 cyprus // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:14 PM

If this guy is a bit of a Hazard mixed with HBA, we’re in luck. Come on Carr, remember the T;shirt?

OK, Steve, over to you now. Accommodate this player, Perez, Aarons, Sissoko, Colb, Mitro in the team and you don’t got to do nothing; sit back and take the glory!

• 4 jayphoto // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:14 PM

If no one leaves I can’t see them paying out for anyone after Thauvin!
    Got a sneaky feeling they might bring Ashley Cole in on a free for 2 years… Not the quickest anymore but an upgrade on what we’ve got and most importantly a winning mentality!

• 5 Llort muw // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:15 PM

Damn, bobby I take it you don’t like being in debates?

• 6 Offkey // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:17 PM

Lgfaud21- I don’t think mcclaren has ever said sissoko should play centrally. If you listen to that interview he gives where he was asked the question, he answers 26th out saying where but implies it’s the right wing…….. that’s what I took from it…..I will listen again but I thought mc misunderstood the bloke…….

• 7 Ian Toon // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:17 PM

146Ian Toon // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:16 PM

Bobbybee- I don’t want to get into the whole “Ashley thing” as I just see it as potentially being divisive. Neither do I want to get into the fan/ supporter : watching on TV etc. On opinions clearly someone who watches as a supporter is better able to assess the qualities of an individual player, formations , tactics etc or managers/ coaches/ scouts would not have to be bother about travelling to a Stadium as they could simply watch it on TV etc. Hence I welcome your football related opinions as someone of obvious experience of following the toon.

Incidentally, from my experience don’t get sidelined into silly debates on such issues as opinions: judgement. In my opinion, your judgement of Armstrong is based upon having watched him on a number of ocassions and judging him to be a future PL star. It is also your opinion. In my opinion some opinions are worth more than others – Carr’s judgment having carried out his scouting of a player, is also a definitive view. You get every Tom, Dick and Harry stating an opinion most of whom haven’t seen him play. Likewise with players we’ve been linked with – still hoping that Macca’s comment about a signing that nobody has linked us with has legs.

• 8 ShirebrookToon // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:17 PM

What is it that thauvin has that cabella doesn’t as I’m confused as they are the same type of player are they not? :/

• 9 Offkey // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:18 PM

26th out = without

Really starting to love auto correct

• 10 jayphoto // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:19 PM

@Ian Toon – club would do well to find a player not yet linked with us! Been crazy how many players have been linked this summer!

• 11 dannitoon // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:21 PM

£46m is not a great investment.. we were £60m behind teams like saints stoke swansea spurs before this window.. the way I see it we still are…. our team needed £75-100m spent. FFS we’d spent nowt for 7 seasons. ..

• 12 Toonfan8 // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:22 PM

what about young Albert Rusnak, he was grow up in Man City academy and now plays for Groningen. Dutch fans compare him to Robben, seems exciting prospect. Cracking right foot…

• 13 Ian Toon // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:22 PM

Jay- the Monaco CB would make for a perfect window.

• 14 jayphoto // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:24 PM

@Shirebrook – they are really quite different! Thauvin is a great deal quicker than Cabella. Much better striker of the ball too. He’s also a bit more physical, harder to knock off the ball.
    He also is an out an out winger whereas Cabella prefers more central. He’s far more direct than Cabella too. I’m a big fan to be honest. He’s got a lot more energy and high work rate too.
    Thauvin has been likened to Ribery but for me he’s more similar to Nasri when he played at Arsenal.
    Cabella in france was actually more of a playmaker with everything Montpellier did going through him. Would have a lot of passes and a lot of touches. Thauvin isn’t really that kind of player, his first thought his direct and head to goal.

• 15 Toonfan8 // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:24 PM

• 16 Ian Toon // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:25 PM

Haven’t we got enough Dutch players now. How about a few English with PL experience. Tomkins of West Ham if we can’t get the above.

• 17 croftus5678 // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:25 PM

thauvin is not a bad signing tbh he’s a huge improvement on siissoko/obertan as a winger and adds a hell of a lot of movement off the ball as well as his other abilities.

yes we need a cb as priority but thats not thauvins fault as he will push us up the table and impove our quality.

• 18 Jib // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:25 PM

Both Layvin Kurzawa and Aymen Abdennour have been left out of Monaco’s squad to face Valencia in the CL on Wednesday night.
    I wouldn’t be surprised if the Toon gets them both , a CB and attacking left back together.

• 19 Offkey // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:26 PM

Ian toon – your just a boring snake in the grass

• 20 Ian Toon // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:26 PM

jay – I was. Maybe he was looking for a move but his form has tailed off of late.

• 21 Sazzer // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:27 PM

Thauvin is he’s more like Bale than Hazard in the way he plays.

• 22 Offkey // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:27 PM

I agree with offkey…..whoops

• 23 sweendog // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:28 PM

good signin, we could do with a decent winger. Still think we need a CB, LB and striker.

• 24 ShirebrookToon // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:29 PM

Thanks for that mate as YouTube isn’t very useful when it comes to the ins and outs of a player.

• 25 TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:30 PM

In: Bostn, austin, rolan
    Out: colo, wilo Saylo

Defenders? we dont need no stinkin defenders

• 26 jayphoto // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:31 PM

@Jib- to leave them out of champions league games suggests they have interest from teams wanting to to play them in champions league??
    I’d put money on Abdennour signing for Barca in a similar way Turan has maybe staying in france till jan on loan.
    Kurzawa’s price is too much for a left back. He’s being heavily linked with Man City and Man utd too…
    Reckon we’ll sign Ashley Cole and use dummett as a CB letting mike Williamson go.
    To be fair a window of Mitrovic, Gini, Thauvin, Mbemba and Cole with only willo leaving would be a better window than I’d anticipate

• 27 Our Toon // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:31 PM

Tomkins? As in the WH lad? Jesus let’s just kept willo instead

• 28 ShirebrookToon // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:32 PM

@ jib

Aren’t Liverpool looking to sign kurzawa?

• 29 Ian Toon // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:32 PM

Ibizatoon – Back by Popular Demand. – just my opinion but I preferred the old happy chappy who played the ball but inevitably ultimately sat on the fence. You seem to have taken on the persona of someone in a permanent state of metamorphosis. In my opinion/ judgment (LOL) I elected you as the conductor of the orchestra- you turned the job down and it’s been all downhill ever since.

• 30 Our Toon // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:33 PM

Ashley Cole….Surely he’d ask for to much money in wages

• 31 Offkey // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:34 PM

@29 my point exactly

• 32 Ian Toon // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:35 PM

Off key – if I didn’t know who you are !!

• 33 Tsunki // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:35 PM

Ian mentioned ‘fence’ not me! I’m getting out of here. 🙂

• 34 jayphoto // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:35 PM

@Shirebrook – I like Thauvin. He’s a get the crowd to their feet kind of player though last season he didn’t play well. Personally put this down to Bielsas tactics and methods. Either way he’s a damnsite better than what we currently have out wide. Price mentioned looks a bit high… but guessing they are paying for potential. Doesn’t surprise me he’ll leave france. The press have been savage to him the last season! If we sign him it’s almost reminiscent of the circumstances we signed ginola under

• 35 TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:36 PM

THE ONLY way the thuavin moves makes any sense, is if its the first of a couple of moves and fatty is really splashing the cash. However, it wouldnt be the first time this genius trust made moves that make no sense.

• 36 jayphoto // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:36 PM

@ourtoon – I think Cole just wants to play now? he took less money to go Roma than he would have got in England and went for footballing reasons.
    Press seem to have it as a straight race between us and everton to sign him

• 37 Ian Toon // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:38 PM

Offkey- you would doubtless have expressed it so much better.

• 38 Ian Toon // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:40 PM

Tsunami/ Tsunki- bandwagon jumping !!

• 39 Offkey // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:40 PM

Yes, I would have

• 40 ShirebrookToon // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:40 PM

Well I hope he provides the much needed crosses into the box for mitro/cisse to the get on the end of.

Wiki already have him down as a Newcastle United player lol

• 41 Bobbybee // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:43 PM

Llort muw, ha ha! Yes, clearly i hate to debate, hence my long posts. I LOVE IT mate, it why I come on here. I doubt I’ll ever agree with everybody, or what would be the point? Let’s say I have strongly held views, built up over many years of following my team through thin, thin, and thinner.

Ian, agreed mate. Football is all about opinions and everybody’s is valid. A constructive argument can only be based on what you know and have experienced, not what somebody else may have told you. That’s why I refer everybody to Arma’s vids. Take a look before condemning him a failure ffs. I don’t go to every U18’s or U21’s, but I go to enough to form an opinion independently from anybody elses viewpoint. Everything in football is subjective anyway – nobody’s right or wrong, it’s just opinions. Carr has turned up some proper gems, but he won’t get it right every time and it’s bordering on ludicrous to expect him to – nobody’s perfect.

• 42 Graeme // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:51 PM

A delegation from NUFC in Marseille to bring Thauven back to NUFC

Here is more info on the player!!

• 43 north_country_boy // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:59 PM

I still think Van Dijk will be on his way next week regardless of whether Celtic get through or not, think there’s an agreement already in place as there’s not been much in the way of rumours about him all summer apart from Soton just recently which I find strange unless a few people are already aware of a deal in the offing – hopefully somewhere not much further south than Glasgow! We definitely need another CH before the end of the window

• 44 nightfa11 // Aug 18, 2015 at 3:06 PM

this is crazy..we really need to start selling.. 13 midfielders + thauvin.. fighting for 4 places..we must sell 4,5,6 of them..

colback, winjaldum, sissoko, anita, SDJ, goufrann, obertan, marveaux, aarons, cabella, vuckic, abeid, tiote + thauvin

expensive way to destroy morale..

• 45 Jib // Aug 18, 2015 at 3:13 PM

Ideally you want each position triplicated which makes 12 needed (remember anita and colback are tidy full backs as well) so only a couple surplus – Obertan clearly and a.n.other .

• 46 hibbit // Aug 18, 2015 at 3:17 PM

nightfa 11…….you can only sell if someone wants to buy…… we are trying to shift so much crap its impossible to find a buyer

• 47 anthc // Aug 18, 2015 at 3:19 PM

I’d rather have that monaco defender and give cabella another crack tbh. The French all raved about thauvin a year or two back but he was anonymous last season with no big teams coming in for him. I think he’s overrated which is why we expected too much from cabella who was billed as being a better player. Another broken record here but get some bloody defenders! As for the midfield tiote sdj obertan marveaux abeid vuckic and gouffran can all go for me.

• 48 bobby mango // Aug 18, 2015 at 3:21 PM

Do we really trust Carr still?
    Can name me failures than successes since Cabaye.

Like others know Thauvin has to be as well as better defenders otherwise it’s another case of but addressing the important areas

• 49 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Aug 18, 2015 at 3:21 PM

Looks like Abeid is on his way now think its a bit of a mistake selling him because Anita , Colback and Tiote will be out injured at some point and to be honest he could potentially be better than all of them

• 50 Bobbybee // Aug 18, 2015 at 3:21 PM

I have to admit to my surprise – nay, concern – over the defence issue. I don’t follow the logic of a weak defence, but I’m still hoping we will address the problem – if not now, then in January. Not sure I follow the defenders aren’t a resalable asset either, looking at what some defenders have sold for. I am, at this moment, completely baffled by the board not bringing in a top defender. I just hope they know the consequences – which is why I’m baffled. Because they must know? Regardless of how far we might have slipped beind, I think £50m is still a substantial fund for one window, although it could have been spent more wisely imo.

• 51 hibbit // Aug 18, 2015 at 3:28 PM

lee…..thats one of the big failings of nufc so many playes with so called potenial but nobody actually doing it

• 52 toonicle // Aug 18, 2015 at 3:30 PM

We need a LB that can fill in on the right as well and I’ll be happy.

• 53 toon kk // Aug 18, 2015 at 3:33 PM

I’m can’t really pass judgement on Thauvin yet, I’ve never really watched him play. Is he fast? He looks just like Cabella on what I have seen, possibly like for like?
    A great player abroad won’t necessarily be in the premier league. So fingers crossed.

• 54 lesh // Aug 18, 2015 at 3:34 PM

Our Toon

With respect but £46m hardly a bare minimum.

However, if the report about no more big signings coming in are true, there’s something seriously wrong at the club.

Everybody and their mother can see that we need at two signings for the defence and either can’t see that or believes he can make a fist of what he’s got available to him or, Charnley’s taking no notice of requests for defensive resources.

• 55 Graeme // Aug 18, 2015 at 3:34 PM

toon kk

• 56 lesh // Aug 18, 2015 at 3:36 PM

The last para of my previous post refers to McClaren.

• 57 toon kk // Aug 18, 2015 at 3:37 PM

There’s better player’s in the championship than we’ve scouted in the past. In Carr I don’t trust tbh.

• 58 croftus5678 // Aug 18, 2015 at 3:44 PM

@53 toon

yes he’s fairly fast and has a decent jump and can head a ball ! he will bring free kick accuracy and a hell of a lot of movement and can defend a little better than cabella but its not his strength.

a huge talent in the makings however !!! ofc like many many players who are hyped he’s inconsistant.

he can play anywhere up front or through midfield and wing positions (wing is his best position imo or part of a front 3) so imo i’d say he’s more of a get the job done type of player rather than cabella’s entertainment and tricks for the fun of it even if there is no need for it.

imo if true he will be a very good signing and def a huge improvement for the wings and with his adaptability he will be invaluable to the squad.

• 59 Offkey // Aug 18, 2015 at 3:48 PM

At a time when the club was at a low point in the premier league, people had to find something to belive in, Carr was that person……at least for me. I think it is completely valid that he is questioned, no one at the club should get a free pass from players to owner. …….but he seems to have and it can’t continue……just hope his picks start to really perform

• 60 toon kk // Aug 18, 2015 at 3:49 PM

Thauvin certainly looks like a quality player going off those clips, any quality player is very welcome. Let’s just hope that the board notice our defence needs sorting, they seem to be over looking the problem.

• 61 hibbit // Aug 18, 2015 at 3:50 PM

crofts sounds good but is he what we need is this what Mc is asking for or what Mc is been given i don’t get there priorities

• 62 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Aug 18, 2015 at 3:50 PM

Does anyone think that McClaren has had any input to our recent signings or is it as Pardew – here’s the players you work with them.

• 63 bettyswallocks // Aug 18, 2015 at 3:52 PM

We have to regroup now to face Manure on Sat. I think we would have a good chance of the win if we could get Austin in before then. Has anyone heard anything about it today? It all seems to have gone quiet.

• 64 Big Pappa Cissé // Aug 18, 2015 at 3:52 PM

Slightly bittersweet about this deal as I think Cabella could have made it at NUFC if he toughened up a bit, was played in his natural position and stopped trying a skill immediately after receiving the ball .

But on the bright side we are getting a natural winger as his replacement and he looks similar to HBA which is a good thing provided he can be more consistent .

Still extremely worried our next signing after conceding 4 goals in two games is another attacking option but I can only hope the Abdennour rumours are true. Bring in him and Willems and I will be over the moon .

—Sissoko—————De Jong—————-Thuavin—

• 65 Jib // Aug 18, 2015 at 3:55 PM

According to the German press the Toon has not given up on Joel Matip who only has 10 months left on his contract and is being somewhat coy with Schalke.

• 66 LGFUAD21 // Aug 18, 2015 at 3:55 PM

I don’t think we’ve spent bare minimum. I just think we haven’t bought smartly.

I’m so happy we got gini. But we could’ve used that money on a CB.

I don’t think we’ve addressed the squad issue but I can’t be angree at the amount spent. Just how it has been spent. Especially if we are loosing cabella for Thauvin. Even if Thauvin can adapt he’s got a big task protecting the back four while also creating enough goals to our score.

• 67 Graeme // Aug 18, 2015 at 3:56 PM

toon KK – They are patching up Collo as we speak, load him up with horse pills and just watch him go!!!

We have needed a pair of quality CB’s for at least 3 years – we have signed one young, good one – now I think we will “make-do” with what we have. A big mistake, IMO, maybe they will sort it in January!!!

• 68 Tsunki // Aug 18, 2015 at 3:58 PM

Ian – there was a BANDWAGON? And I was NOT INFORMED?????

• 69 Tsunki // Aug 18, 2015 at 4:01 PM

Where did Ibiza go? He was here a moment ago.

On Cabella, I read somewhere that his conduct off pitch was not all it could be? Before anyone picks up a spear or a pitchfork or one of those flaming torch thingies you sometimes get when you organise an angry mob, that’s just something I read, and that he wanted away, not necessarily that the club wanted to get rid.

• 70 Sliema // Aug 18, 2015 at 4:04 PM

We would all probably be reasonably happy with this deal if it wasn’t for the obvious defensive issues. He’s a promising winger and hes replacing someone who wasnt a promising winger,we need a winger!

I wonder if Ashley thinks it’ll be entertaining to have games full of goals, wants to go back to the keegan era? Buying lots of attackers is a start, but trusting your defense to the same personal who’ve relentlessly proven their ineptitude to you is not going to work.

• 71 lochinvar // Aug 18, 2015 at 4:08 PM

If he’s signed will Thuavin go straight into the team against Man Ure ?

• 72 Mister Tuff // Aug 18, 2015 at 4:09 PM

hibbit – ref Carrs remit – I was describing the previously published arrangements not the current set up.

• 73 Bobbybee // Aug 18, 2015 at 4:09 PM

This defence issue is crazy. We need defenders. Wtf is going on? I am the eternal optimist, but even I can see the problems with not strengthening at the back. Macca must be aware of the situation, so I’m still holding out hope he will address it sooner rather than later, but time is running out this window. I’m going to try and hold back until the window closes but I am getting concerned now. It’s been a good window if Thauvin joins, it’s just that a defender would make it even better… imo anyway. 🙂

• 74 Sliema // Aug 18, 2015 at 4:10 PM

We need a winger cause we just bought a bulky CF btw. How would Shearer have faired without the service he had from the wings? We have socks who can’t really cross a ball, Obertan who admittedly has shown he can cross, but only once in 4 years.

• 75 JamesToon // Aug 18, 2015 at 4:10 PM

Newcastle officials in marseille to tie up deal for thauvin and escort him to tyneside this afternoon

• 76 toon kk // Aug 18, 2015 at 4:11 PM

they might be in a situation where they have to address our defence we could be at the wrong end of the table. We’ve had so many flaws in our squad for so long, we can’t create, no cutting edge in front of goal, can’t defend and lack pace. Lack of the correct signings and penny pinching has really taken its toll.
    But its all been down to MA buy to sell regime, but with his lack of knowledge players were actually going down in value.

• 77 Our Toon // Aug 18, 2015 at 4:14 PM

LGFUAD and lesh

We could spend 200m on 4 players and I’d still say it’s the bare minimum because it’s not what we spend but it’s what we bring in that’s important. I believe that we needed a minimum of 6 first team players. 1 cb, RB cover or lb requires.

46m may sound like alot but take into account departures since January seeing as we didn’t strengthen:

Santon: 2.5m or 3m
    Pardew: 3m or 4m
    Yanga: 5.7m or 6m

There’s 11.2m minimum or 13m maximum. We’ve bought 3 with a 4th on his way but haven’t addressed the real problems in the team. I look at other teams and the players they’ve bought in not the amount they’ve spent….its why I say we’ve done the bare minimum

• 78 Tsunki // Aug 18, 2015 at 4:15 PM

If we’re going with track record versus glowing optimism, I reckon it’s a good bet that there will be panic buying of a defender or two in Jan when we’re nestling nicely in 15 th. That is just assuming that the ironmonger has been unavailable or there is a steel strike so there aren’t any bolts. Or the horse has gone lame. Or there’s a wheel off the cart.

• 79 ilovetoon8788 // Aug 18, 2015 at 4:15 PM

Thauvin looks quality in youtube. But, obertan can also look world class. So not buying too much into the clips.

I prefer to believe the French league fans on the net where some say Thauvin was one of the worst and disappointing player in the league last season.

• 80 Sliema // Aug 18, 2015 at 4:15 PM

Toon kk

Who would you keep out of our current side? And who would you move on?

I agree with the flaws you’ve pointed out, I couldn’t agree more tbh, the lack of movement for me is a big one, players stand still or dally about in front of their man, not much creative freedom being allowed or shown.

Also the negative set up, sitting so deep with defenders and holding mids who just don’t have the presence or ability to compete at this level.

Bad attitudes everywhere you look. We fielded one English player the other week. Not making a judgement but throwing it out there, we seem to have a lot of fairys.

• 81 ilovetoon8788 // Aug 18, 2015 at 4:16 PM

We don’t need thauvin or Austin. We need defenders badly. If we shore up our defence the rest of our players will have confidence and freedom to play their natural game.

Right now our players look so fearful.

• 82 hibbit // Aug 18, 2015 at 4:16 PM

i got that mr tuff but you were implying that others weren’t up to speed when in fact it was you

• 83 Tsunki // Aug 18, 2015 at 4:16 PM

Remember, we’re still under the ” pound for pound value” remit. No easy way of distancing ourselves from that.

• 84 Our Toon // Aug 18, 2015 at 4:17 PM

We could have spent that amount and bought in Micah Richards on a free!! Then I’d say it’s been a good window

• 85 hibbit // Aug 18, 2015 at 4:18 PM

bobby its the one thing everybody agrees on

• 86 Tsunki // Aug 18, 2015 at 4:18 PM

Ilovetoon – Aaahhh but we DO need Austin. In fact we really need an Austin article right now to relieve the tension. 🙂

• 87 Tsunki // Aug 18, 2015 at 4:20 PM

Carr – ” but he’s on A FREE, Mikey!”
    MA – “I don’t care I’m not paying THOSE wages!”

• 88 JackButler // Aug 18, 2015 at 4:20 PM

I think Carr’s reputation could take another severe kick in the nuts with this one as he’s trying to fix an mistake (Cabella) by replacing him with exactly the same type of player.

• 89 Our Toon // Aug 18, 2015 at 4:21 PM

French fans will rate Cabella very highly but fans of the prem will say he’s a dud. Prem fans will rate Henry very highly amd Juve fans will say he was shite.

• 90 Mister Tuff // Aug 18, 2015 at 4:22 PM

Whilst this is primarily a football blog and should remain as such -I cannot see a problem with from time to time if it is quiet on thefootball front to discuss something else that may crop up. Cannot see a problem with that at all.
    Plenty of folk may raise a subject on the blog or seek help/advice – what’s the problem with that. The latest one off the top of my head was yesterday or the day before when there was a discussion about streaming boxes/XBMC boxes. Advice was posted and nobody made any comments at all about the exchanges between posters.
    However, it would seem to me that when certain posters are involved in a topic it always attracts the attention and adverse comments by (a) certain poster(s).
    Clearly there is no constant complaint about the issue/topic but more about having a snipe/dig. Very duplicitous if you ask me.

• 91 Bobbybee // Aug 18, 2015 at 4:26 PM

Hibbett, at last! We all agree. Does that make me less of a dick head or more? 🙂

• 92 hibbit // Aug 18, 2015 at 4:27 PM

dont have a clue if this move for thauvin will work out but one thing that must be said is he is more like arrons then cabella

• 93 Sazzer // Aug 18, 2015 at 4:28 PM

A lot of things happening in the CB market at the moment.

Mangala staying at Man City means that Valencia going to be looking in our market for a Otamendi replacement with more money than us. So no suprise if they steal Abdennour.

Also no suprise that Roma was prepared to offload Mbiwa to get Rudiger.

• 94 croftus5678 // Aug 18, 2015 at 4:28 PM

@61 hibbit

i’ve no idea about macca wanting him but i couldnt see any manager in his position turning him down tbh !

i agree with you our priority should be a cb and as people can work on many deals at the same time and not just one deal at a time i really do hope and have been working on a cb target !

i also think a goalkeeper that comes out for the ball to catch and punch the ball away from the 6/18yard box would improve our defence by a huge amount and a leftback who can stop people crossing would also cut goals conceeded bye half even if no cb was signed

• 95 bettyswallocks // Aug 18, 2015 at 4:29 PM

Austin will thrive on good quality crosses from a pacey winger.

• 96 hibbit // Aug 18, 2015 at 4:31 PM

bobby no mate it just makes you as daft as us we all have the same love we all want the best for are love we just all have different ideas on how to get it

• 97 JackButler // Aug 18, 2015 at 4:31 PM

Can someone please explain to me how our board, consisting of McClaren, Charnley, Carr and Moncur, can sit around a table and come to a decision that with the current state of our squad what we really need is an overrated, out of form, lightweight winger?

Surely these four footballing geniuses can see that what we need to is address the reason we concede goals for fun!

Am I reading this whole situation wrong or are the four tops actually happy with that back four???

• 98 Munster Mag // Aug 18, 2015 at 4:32 PM

Our Toon, I think Thauvin is more what we need now than Cabella. Cabella wasnt really fast enough to play wide all the time. As I said, I feel we really overrate Carr and this is another case in point.

• 99 Our Toon // Aug 18, 2015 at 4:36 PM

Cabella was never a wide player or a winger in France. I’m no advocate of Carr but isn’t it the manager who chose to play him as a winger/wide player rather than in the no10 role?

Cabella was scouted though playing in the no 10 role!!

• 100 Bobbybee // Aug 18, 2015 at 4:37 PM

Hibbit, agreed mate. The thing is, we can debate all day, but Ashley does what Ashley wants to do regardless of how we feel. Now, if you want to call him a dick head, I’ll back you 100% 🙂

• 101 Graeme // Aug 18, 2015 at 4:39 PM

It may even have some truth about it – we can but hope!!

• 102 Munster Mag // Aug 18, 2015 at 5:56 PM

Our Toon, he wasnt strong enough pysically or mentally to play 10 in england. He was a bad buy. Carr gets the horn for small skillful players. he should have bought Pardew the fast tough players he wanted and we would be mid table or a bit wose. Bored mind you. !

• 103 bigiffius // Aug 18, 2015 at 6:37 PM

You’ve very much americanised the word ‘Defence’ into ‘Defense’

previous post: Newcastle To Move On From Swansea Hammering