The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Florin Thauvin Touches Down In Newcastle – Medical Tomorrow

9:23 pm, Tuesday, August 18th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 67 Comments

Florian Thauvin was expected to fly into Newcastle today – we just didn’t know what time he would arrive – but it seems he touched down this afternoon,  and he will have his medical tomorrow, after terms have been agreed between the two clubs and compensation has been agreed with the player himself.

Since his medical could take place tomorrow morning, there’s even a chance that his signing could be announced tomorrow by Newcastle, maybe late in the day.

Florian Thauvin _2852494

Florian Thauvin – landed at Newcastle before 7:00 pm

Here’s what Keith Downie of Sky Sports has tweeted:

Remy Cabella is also in Marseille ready for his medical tomorrow, so the deal could even be announced jointly by the two clubs.

Remy Cabella will go on a season long deal to Marseille as part of the deal, and then the French club can buy him for £8M or €8M (£5.6M) – depending on which reports you believe.

We are still hoping that Newcastle can bring in a top defender before the window slams shut on Monday night 31st August.

If the fee is indeed £13M as Keith says, it looks like Newcastle raised their price from £12M by £1M and in addition threw in a season long loan deal for Cabella, and that seems to have made the deal finally agreeable to Marseille.

Tags: Newcastle News · Recruitment · Remy Cabella · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

67 responses so far ↓

• 1 SUTTY1978 // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:27 PM

Think of virtually any winger you like from France or Holland and you could buy them for less than we are paying for this useless turd.

• 2 Llort muw // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:27 PM

Oh, thought there had been some changes… My bad.

However it does seen like McClaren is having an impact on there futures considering Woodman and Armstrong getting loan deals.

• 3 ronaldo aarons // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:28 PM

I didn’t say I believed it, I was just getting the point across that the report says it will be the last big money deal and fans can’t help get a little nervous with our clubs track record of leaving areas of the team exposed.

• 4 jazzyp // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:28 PM

Get French Football ?@GFN_France · 1m1 minute ago
    Rémy Cabella’s day is over. The player will return to Marseille’s training centre tomorrow to finalise the deal, according to BeIN Sports.

I for one will give Thauvin a chance to shine for the toon. We can keep banging on about him having a crap season as muchas we wont . but the fact of the matter is he will soon be a Nufc player. And should be given a chance as much as any new signing, rather than writing him off before he has even kicked a ball for us

• 5 Llort muw // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:29 PM

Damn, are you like this with every signing? Give him a chance.

• 6 Novocastrian66 // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:29 PM

We need to sort out our leaky defence. I hope we have a plan for this. We look as though we’re going to concede every time the opposition attacks, or is It just me panicking.

• 7 Llort muw // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:30 PM

Oh ok no worries mate. 🙂

• 8 WWSBRD // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:30 PM

Not as far as am aware I have seen no new coaches being dropped in for the youth team, nothing new other than the first team set up from whats been announced

Loan deals? Well Armstrong was heading out on loan last season until Cisse was suspended and Woodman is only out on loan because his dad left

• 9 ronaldo aarons // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:30 PM

If we were buying a winger, I personally would have went for narsingh.

• 10 Our Toon // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:30 PM

Thierry Henry was shocking in Italy he was a failure. Diego Forlan was shocking at man utd but went on to great things and was in the top 5 or 10 strikers for some time. Veron class in Italy shit at man utd. Di maria pants at man utd. Kaka was immense in Italy and failed big time at Madrid. Ibrahimovic failed at Barca but has been a success everywhere else.

Bottom line Cabella needed to be replaced Andre Ayew has already surpassed Cabella’s contribution to the entirety of last season in only 2 games for Swansea! !

• 11 Our Toon // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:32 PM

Cabella did well in France so it makes sense he goes where he played well, thauvin didn’t have a good time last season but h’s shown he can do it in France so rightly he comes in to replace the pointless stepover king

• 12 jazzyp // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:32 PM

Did you expect Mitrovic-Wini-Mbemba-Thauvin at a cost of over 50 mill to be spent in the transfer window ??
    The transfer window isn’t closed yet mate, There is still time for defenders to be brought in

• 13 ronaldo aarons // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:32 PM

But signing all these attacking players won’t be any good if we can’t defend for toffee.

• 14 Laurent Robert 32 // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:34 PM

I’m disappointed that Cabella is going so quickly, especially since we’ve got a new coaching setup in. I’d have liked to see what he can do without being coached by complete imbeciles.

Hope Thauvin does a great job though.

• 15 SUTTY1978 // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:36 PM

Llort, no been very happy with the other three. I can see what they add to the team and can see their future potential.
    Question to all, if you were given €17m and could sign any player for the toon, who would it be?
    I’m guessing no one would choose Thauvin.

• 16 geordieboy83 // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:36 PM

Re post sorry

The other thing is I think by no more big money signings they mean 10 mil plus. Cb’s beneath that price are very available
    Curtis Davies
    Lewis dunk

To name a few so not all hope is gone just yet

• 17 toonicle // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:37 PM

Optimistic about this move, won’t miss Cabella at all.

• 18 WWSBRD // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:38 PM

Personally I would of been much happier signing Thauvin if Cabella wasnt leaving for me we arent adding any extra quality and we arent adding competition. We are still going to need a winger even if he signs

• 19 ronaldo aarons // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:38 PM

Not really no, so it’s really a nice surprise but also, signings such as these should have been made in previous windows rather than letting the squad stagnate and weakening it with sales. I’m a believer in adding 1-2 players each season rather than making big changes in one go. And I’m not saying we won’t make another signing lol, I was just trying to make a point with why fans are criticising the signing of thauvin.

• 20 Llort muw // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:40 PM

Ok I don’t know why I thought there were changes.

How do you know Woodman went on loan because his dad left? That’s a big claim. You have evidence?

• 21 SUTTY1978 // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:42 PM

Llort, Woodman Snr and junior left on virtually the same day and are less than 30 miles apart in terms of clubs, probably living together down there

• 22 jazzyp // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:43 PM

Past is past bud. We all know the despairing transfer windows we have had to endure in the past. But hopefully this a bright new future and something to be embraced.
    In my wildest dreams did I ever envisage The fat controller blowing this amount of cash in one window.
    As some have pointed out, I bet a lot of clubs at present would love to be spending what we are

• 23 Krul To Be Kind // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:44 PM

Another goal for Wee Arma tonight! 5 in 3, not bad for an 18 yo

• 24 WWSBRD // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:44 PM

I wouldnt say its a big claim, they practically left together and the location of both parties points to them being together down south. It’ll be the reason Woody didnt leave with the rest when Carver left because his sons future was involved

• 25 JamesToon // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:44 PM

I’m happy with the Thauvin signing and sort of content if we’re getting £8m back for Cabella.

I hope everyone backs him and mcclarens decisions to the hill.

Don’t think anyone in June expected us to splash out £50m on Mbemba, Wijnaldum, Thauvin and Mitrovic

• 26 TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:45 PM

i think cabella got a bad rap. He was the only creative player on a crap side. Pardew/carvers plan was the same thing they did to HBA. Put all pressure on one person to beat multiple defenders and score while the other 10 guys track back for defense. I think most people forget how many assists he SHOULD have had, if we had anyone to finish not name Perez

• 27 Harley // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:45 PM

I wasn’t that bothered about this when it was first rumoured but now it’s happening I’m strangely excited.
    Could be just the spark we need.

• 28 TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:46 PM

it would have been fair to see what he could have dome with some real talent on the pitch.

• 29 toon kk // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:46 PM

you don’t seem to like the thought of Thauvin coming, what’s your main reason? Is it because he’s not a defender?

• 30 Jail for Ashley // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:46 PM

James Toon,
    Van Dijk is the type of player we’d maybe go after before Celtic bought him, we would not have paid 8/10M for Tiote if Celtic had already paid 4M and had the bargain.

• 31 Our Toon // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:47 PM

I keep reading the proper coaching set up in regards to Cabella, still you have to show some sort of quality over an entire season to back that claim up. He showed absolutely nothing, a cracking goal against Hull was his highlight.

He missed plenty of sitter, Villa away being one of the worst along with Southampton at home!!

• 32 SUTTY1978 // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:49 PM

There was a left footed winger playing for Millwall tonight, put in a cracking set piece for their late equaliser, maybe we should sign him, didnt quite catch his name, Shane something, Ferguson perhaps. Sure he would cost a lot less than Thauvin. I think we may have scouted him in the past.

• 33 Krul To Be Kind // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:49 PM

Celtic buying his replacement from Croatia for 4m which makes sense he’s going but I think it’s soton he’s off to

• 34 ronaldo aarons // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:49 PM

Yeah you’re right but I personally can’t help be a bit cautious, you know the saying about a leopard never changes it’s spots. Plus it will take more than one window to convince me they have changed. It does help though with the quality of players they have gone for.

• 35 toonicle // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:49 PM

Taco- If Cabella we’re being used centrally as a No. 10 or something then we would miss his creativity maybe, but he was supposed to be brought in as a winger and is 3rd/4th choice CAM at best. I don’t want a player trying to be too creative on the RW as he was with his silly step overs, losing the ball and allowing for a break down the right flank. Someone with pace and a cross is what’s needed there and didn’t have much of either.

• 36 WWSBRD // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:49 PM

TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa
    I agree with ur sentiment, I also think Cabella was very muc mismanaged early doors and never got the chance to get himself settled. He was dropped far too easily when he struggled and when he played well he was still in our very poor team playing a style of football that didnt help his cause

A real shame to lose him imo

• 37 Mister Tuff // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:49 PM

I think if Thauvin is a flop we could legitimately blame Carr. We were after him several years ago so the only common denominator between then and now is Carr.
    But let’s see how he does.

• 38 Llort muw // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:50 PM

Yeah that makes sense.

Armstrong looking good on loan, exactly what he needed because people were starting to doubt him on his first team appearences for the toon. Glad he is showing what he can do albeit at a lower level.

• 39 Our Toon // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:50 PM

I’d be happy if Cabella could beat 1 player never mind 10. As for only creative player, he finished on par or below Sammy, Obertan, Gouffran ,Colback for assists. He scored the same amount of goals as Williamson

• 40 Ibizatoon // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:51 PM

Moonraker (from previous)…Firstly, I would like to say it doesn’t and shouldn’t matter whether you were critical before or not. Some things change, some don’t.

However, you said:

“I don’t understand how anyone can be negative about our signings! You have to be happy moaning to be negative now.”

You said you “don’t understand” and then want on to claim that someone “has to be happy moaning to be negative now”.

You haven’t answered my question. If you don’t understand, how can you know what the person “has to” anything?

Player recruitment at this stage looks good. Still needs work. You seem convinced that work will take place, fair play to you. I hope so, but we’ll wait and see.

A few more signings was really at the bottom of my list of gripes with the club. I’m still waiting to see this new NUFC, a club that tries, one that we can all be proud of.

I do hope you will excuse me for waiting to see what unfolds before becoming delerious with excitement.

I am eager to see what our new coaching team can do mind. Not so much McClaren. But the team as a whole would appear to be greatly improved.

• 41 Jail for Ashley // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:52 PM

Got to be happy a better player than Øbertan is coming in, but surely there are other areas to address, if we spent on that quality LB, CB and RB cover everyone would be satisfied, surely Thauvin isn’t being brought in on a business deal, that can’t happen in this new era of optimism?

• 42 Our Toon // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:53 PM

Did they have defenders playing in that game because we could get them as well….sarcasm

Don’t get your point about Ferguson mate.

• 43 anthc // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:53 PM

I’m pleased we’re spending money and 50 mill is a lot of dosh however, let’s not forget the money we’ve made from transfers. I bet the net spend is still very little in comparison to the rest of the league. Also as someone pointed out earlier it’s not just about how much you spend but how you spend it. We need a cb or two and a full back. I’m sure arrons could do a job when given the chance.

• 44 AncientC // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:53 PM

This signing looks like a double down on the formation.

For the amount of times we have seen this formation not work, it is bothersome.

The 3 behind the striker will look impressive on paper, but the rest?

• 45 jimiley // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:55 PM

The entertainers are back. Shit defence so they score 4 and a great attack and we score 5. Cisse hat-trick and Colo graps a couple. Top 6.

• 46 clinath@ed // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:56 PM

llort muw……wum troll backwards. Very clever, says a lot on so many levels.

• 47 WWSBRD // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:57 PM

It makes sense in my head anyway as to why Woody stuck around longer and why younger Woodman went out on loan to a place very clsoe to Woody

Armstrong is doing well long may it continue, I will hold off on getting too excited by him though until he gets a shot in the PL with us

• 48 toon kk // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:57 PM

People are forgetting just how easy Cabella was knocked off the ball, he certainly had skills but I don’t think he’s cut out for the premier league, let’s hope Thauvin is.

• 49 Ibizatoon // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:58 PM

Jimiley…”Cisse hat-trick and Colo graps a couple.”

Is that a season total prediction? Still think you’re being generous with Colo.

• 50 sweendog // Aug 18, 2015 at 9:59 PM

hopefully the next ginola, gotta think positive

• 51 Mister Tuff // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:01 PM

Could it be that this new era of optimism is the same as Wallys’ Bwave New World.

Mr Tubbs……………………………..OOT
    Bwave New World………………….IN
    Bwave soldiers……………………….IN

• 52 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:03 PM

So when does that CB and forward touch down in Newcastle???

• 53 JamesToon // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:03 PM

may be the same formation as used in previous years however its a completely new system and for the first few months we will still see signs of last season however its gonna take time to gel and get used to the new system.

We were very good with overlapping play against saints and they struggled to contain it and we produced loads of crosses but no end product, as there was no mitrovic in the box most of the match, for some reason we just reverted back to last season against swansea, sat off and gave them way too much respect and time on the ball.

• 54 SUTTY1978 // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:04 PM

Our toon, the point was that earlier people were extolling the virtues of buying Thauvin based on his awesome set piece delivery. A talent which lead to a couple of assists last season from hundreds of set pieces. Was just making a sarcastic point that if thats what we wanted we could just recall Fergie from his loan. Sure he could manage a couple of assists from a season full of set pieces

• 55 Ibizatoon // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:05 PM

Jesper…Any minute now. Don’t look away!

Was that them? I blinked.

• 56 WWSBRD // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:06 PM

Next summer Id imagine

• 57 ronaldo aarons // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:07 PM

Our toon
    I’m not a stat kind of guy but cabella had 21 starts last year and 10 sub appearances. He scored only one goal and set up 2. Assists only bettered by janmaat and colback, on par with Sissoko, ameobi and tiote. It’s interesting seeing as Sissoko had almost twice as many more minutes as cabella..

I’m not defending or slating him btw. For me though, what he lacks is for the premier league is that burst of pace. That explosiveness from the off that allows you to beat players.

• 58 magpiesi // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:07 PM

Cabella Played best as a no 10 two seasons ago before joining us.

Over the years Newcastle have bought various players who perform well but once they get here play a different position.

Thauvin is a faster player who can cross and is left footed he played mostly on rw last season and didn’t do to well but the year before on the left was great.

After thauvin a rb then we have two players for each position then next windows we can up grade bit by bit or maybe this window if willo/Goufran/ and co leave.

• 59 Jail for Ashley // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:09 PM

If you’re about, I wasn’t having a go at your very valid opinion, although I disagree with it on Carrs signings/recommendations , it was on yours and Malta Mags moaning about moaners, you must realise that.

• 60 Llort muw // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:09 PM

No, my evil plan has been foiled… Lol.

My name is just a joke, nothing more. 😀

• 61 AncientC // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:10 PM

Alex Ferguson neglected certain areas of his teams for years but seemed to get away with it by overpowering his flanks… I would liked to have believed that McClaren (having worked at Man Utd) was up to some kind of similar masterstroke on limited resources, but Thauvin appears to be a player the club have been chasing for years.

I could be wrong, but I believe the signing of Thauvin has as much to do with McClaren as the signing of Xisco did with Keegan.

• 62 JamesToon // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:17 PM

I think Thauvin was very much McClaren AND carr’s signing, they’re both best mates, and it was clear against Swansea that Cisse/Mitrovic didn’t get enough service from midfield.

That should be our main focus of play under McClaren, overloading the flanks, clear that we tried it against saints as we produced more crosses that game than any other team, and it worked (sort of) against saints but didn’t do it anywhere near enough against Swansea but hopefully we can improve on it further in the future and gel to the system

• 63 lochinvar // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:19 PM

If Van Dijk was to end up at Southampton then that would be a missed opportunity for the apparent reason of keeping Colo happy.
    But that’s not the point as Colo is a diminishing return and certainly can’t play all the League and Cup games nor can he keep up with the new breed of pacey attackers that are around other clubs. I don’t know if the so called sweeper role is in McLarens thinking but a physically dominant and effective CB is needed at least to rotate over many games in the season.

• 64 Jib // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:22 PM

This would seem to be what has happened.

The Toon were going to sign Joel Matip this weekend.
    However Matija Nastasic snapped his achilles tendon (sound familiar) on Sunday playing against Werder Bremen and Benedikt Howedes also has a long term injury.
    Alexander Schutt , Matip’s very influential agent has tentatively agreed to Schalkes proposal that Joel’s transfer be delayed until the next window however Schutt has been tasked with getting a tall CB on loan for 6 months for NUFC .
    If nothing seems to be happening next week Charnley will look elswhere which would be a shame for Matip because apparently he really wants the move.

• 65 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:27 PM

Pardew/Carver have never had a decent defence and the head coach took the blame for the brunt of it from most on here regardless of Ashley’s policies.

The squad has always been shockingly unbalanced but the coach has always took the rap because of MA policies.

Honestly, if we keep all our players this window I cannot grumble about MA. If we sell I will shout from the rooftops though.

By the look of it surpassing 50 mil.

3 youngsters brought in also with:

Colo is staying people need to get over this. He is here for atleast this season right or wrong he is our most experienced and you need that in this league especially with a newcomer like Mbemba coming in alongside him.

A defender coming in who can cover LB and RB with no sales amd outgoings and the window would be a success for me. I won’t be upset though if defensive cover isn’t brought in this window as that will be the priority for the next, Colo will have to be replaced at some point and soon. At the minute we are only 2 games in though. It could be recitified as early as January.

I can’t grumble at the minute but I will if we weaken the squad before Sept 1st without replacements brought in.

But, 50 mil is decent so far. And our midfield and forward line look sound to me.

• 66 OneAlanShearer // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:56 PM

Mbemba saylor Colo Haidara

Sissoko tiote colback Wijnaldum thauvin

The starting xi I’d go with versus man u.

• 67 lordy_geordie // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:32 PM

I for one will give him a chance. The great Shevchenko was a complete flop at Chelsea not to mention Torres as well.

previous post: Newcastle Begin Task Of Moving Players Out