Florin Thauvin Touches Down In Newcastle – Medical Tomorrow

Florian Thauvin was expected to fly into Newcastle today – we just didn’t know what time he would arrive – but it seems he touched down this afternoon,  and he will have his medical tomorrow, after terms have been agreed between the two clubs and compensation has been agreed with the player himself.

Since his medical could take place tomorrow morning, there’s even a chance that his signing could be announced tomorrow by Newcastle, maybe late in the day.

Florian Thauvin _2852494

Florian Thauvin – landed at Newcastle before 7:00 pm

Here’s what Keith Downie of Sky Sports has tweeted:

Remy Cabella is also in Marseille ready for his medical tomorrow, so the deal could even be announced jointly by the two clubs.

Remy Cabella will go on a season long deal to Marseille as part of the deal, and then the French club can buy him for £8M or €8M (£5.6M) – depending on which reports you believe.

We are still hoping that Newcastle can bring in a top defender before the window slams shut on Monday night 31st August.

If the fee is indeed £13M as Keith says, it looks like Newcastle raised their price from £12M by £1M and in addition threw in a season long loan deal for Cabella, and that seems to have made the deal finally agreeable to Marseille.

• SUTTY1978

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:27 PM

Think of virtually any winger you like from France or Holland and you could buy them for less than we are paying for this useless turd.

• Llort muw

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:27 PM

WWSBRD

Oh, thought there had been some changes… My bad.

However it does seen like McClaren is having an impact on there futures considering Woodman and Armstrong getting loan deals.

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:28 PM

Llort
    I didn’t say I believed it, I was just getting the point across that the report says it will be the last big money deal and fans can’t help get a little nervous with our clubs track record of leaving areas of the team exposed.

• jazzyp

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:28 PM

Get French Football ?@GFN_France · 1m1 minute ago
    Rémy Cabella’s day is over. The player will return to Marseille’s training centre tomorrow to finalise the deal, according to BeIN Sports.

I for one will give Thauvin a chance to shine for the toon. We can keep banging on about him having a crap season as muchas we wont . but the fact of the matter is he will soon be a Nufc player. And should be given a chance as much as any new signing, rather than writing him off before he has even kicked a ball for us

• Llort muw

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:29 PM

Sutty

Damn, are you like this with every signing? Give him a chance.

• Novocastrian66

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:29 PM

We need to sort out our leaky defence. I hope we have a plan for this. We look as though we’re going to concede every time the opposition attacks, or is It just me panicking.

• Llort muw

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:30 PM

Ronaldo

Oh ok no worries mate. 🙂

• WWSBRD

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:30 PM

Llort
    Not as far as am aware I have seen no new coaches being dropped in for the youth team, nothing new other than the first team set up from whats been announced

Loan deals? Well Armstrong was heading out on loan last season until Cisse was suspended and Woodman is only out on loan because his dad left

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:30 PM

If we were buying a winger, I personally would have went for narsingh.

• Our Toon

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:30 PM

Thierry Henry was shocking in Italy he was a failure. Diego Forlan was shocking at man utd but went on to great things and was in the top 5 or 10 strikers for some time. Veron class in Italy shit at man utd. Di maria pants at man utd. Kaka was immense in Italy and failed big time at Madrid. Ibrahimovic failed at Barca but has been a success everywhere else.

Bottom line Cabella needed to be replaced Andre Ayew has already surpassed Cabella’s contribution to the entirety of last season in only 2 games for Swansea! !

• Our Toon

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:32 PM

Cabella did well in France so it makes sense he goes where he played well, thauvin didn’t have a good time last season but h’s shown he can do it in France so rightly he comes in to replace the pointless stepover king

• jazzyp

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:32 PM

Ronaldo

Did you expect Mitrovic-Wini-Mbemba-Thauvin at a cost of over 50 mill to be spent in the transfer window ??
    The transfer window isn’t closed yet mate, There is still time for defenders to be brought in

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:32 PM

But signing all these attacking players won’t be any good if we can’t defend for toffee.

• Laurent Robert 32

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:34 PM

I’m disappointed that Cabella is going so quickly, especially since we’ve got a new coaching setup in. I’d have liked to see what he can do without being coached by complete imbeciles.

Hope Thauvin does a great job though.

• SUTTY1978

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:36 PM

Llort, no been very happy with the other three. I can see what they add to the team and can see their future potential.
    Question to all, if you were given €17m and could sign any player for the toon, who would it be?
    I’m guessing no one would choose Thauvin.

• geordieboy83

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:36 PM

Re post sorry

The other thing is I think by no more big money signings they mean 10 mil plus. Cb’s beneath that price are very available
    Curtis Davies
    Lewis dunk
    Veltman
    Vestegaard

To name a few so not all hope is gone just yet

• toonicle

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:37 PM

Optimistic about this move, won’t miss Cabella at all.

• WWSBRD

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:38 PM

Personally I would of been much happier signing Thauvin if Cabella wasnt leaving for me we arent adding any extra quality and we arent adding competition. We are still going to need a winger even if he signs

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:38 PM

Jazzy
    Not really no, so it’s really a nice surprise but also, signings such as these should have been made in previous windows rather than letting the squad stagnate and weakening it with sales. I’m a believer in adding 1-2 players each season rather than making big changes in one go. And I’m not saying we won’t make another signing lol, I was just trying to make a point with why fans are criticising the signing of thauvin.

• Llort muw

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:40 PM

WWSBRD

Ok I don’t know why I thought there were changes.

How do you know Woodman went on loan because his dad left? That’s a big claim. You have evidence?

• SUTTY1978

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:42 PM

Llort, Woodman Snr and junior left on virtually the same day and are less than 30 miles apart in terms of clubs, probably living together down there

• jazzyp

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:43 PM

Ronaldo

Past is past bud. We all know the despairing transfer windows we have had to endure in the past. But hopefully this a bright new future and something to be embraced.
    In my wildest dreams did I ever envisage The fat controller blowing this amount of cash in one window.
    As some have pointed out, I bet a lot of clubs at present would love to be spending what we are

• Krul To Be Kind

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:44 PM

Another goal for Wee Arma tonight! 5 in 3, not bad for an 18 yo

• WWSBRD

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:44 PM

Llort
    I wouldnt say its a big claim, they practically left together and the location of both parties points to them being together down south. It’ll be the reason Woody didnt leave with the rest when Carver left because his sons future was involved

• JamesToon

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:44 PM

I’m happy with the Thauvin signing and sort of content if we’re getting £8m back for Cabella.

I hope everyone backs him and mcclarens decisions to the hill.

Don’t think anyone in June expected us to splash out £50m on Mbemba, Wijnaldum, Thauvin and Mitrovic

• TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:45 PM

i think cabella got a bad rap. He was the only creative player on a crap side. Pardew/carvers plan was the same thing they did to HBA. Put all pressure on one person to beat multiple defenders and score while the other 10 guys track back for defense. I think most people forget how many assists he SHOULD have had, if we had anyone to finish not name Perez

• Harley

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:45 PM

I wasn’t that bothered about this when it was first rumoured but now it’s happening I’m strangely excited.
    Could be just the spark we need.

• TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:46 PM

it would have been fair to see what he could have dome with some real talent on the pitch.

• toon kk

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:46 PM

Sutty
    you don’t seem to like the thought of Thauvin coming, what’s your main reason? Is it because he’s not a defender?

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:46 PM

James Toon,
    Van Dijk is the type of player we’d maybe go after before Celtic bought him, we would not have paid 8/10M for Tiote if Celtic had already paid 4M and had the bargain.

• Our Toon

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:47 PM

I keep reading the proper coaching set up in regards to Cabella, still you have to show some sort of quality over an entire season to back that claim up. He showed absolutely nothing, a cracking goal against Hull was his highlight.

He missed plenty of sitter, Villa away being one of the worst along with Southampton at home!!

• SUTTY1978

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:49 PM

There was a left footed winger playing for Millwall tonight, put in a cracking set piece for their late equaliser, maybe we should sign him, didnt quite catch his name, Shane something, Ferguson perhaps. Sure he would cost a lot less than Thauvin. I think we may have scouted him in the past.

• Krul To Be Kind

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:49 PM

Celtic buying his replacement from Croatia for 4m which makes sense he’s going but I think it’s soton he’s off to

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:49 PM

Jazzy
    Yeah you’re right but I personally can’t help be a bit cautious, you know the saying about a leopard never changes it’s spots. Plus it will take more than one window to convince me they have changed. It does help though with the quality of players they have gone for.

• toonicle

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:49 PM

Taco- If Cabella we’re being used centrally as a No. 10 or something then we would miss his creativity maybe, but he was supposed to be brought in as a winger and is 3rd/4th choice CAM at best. I don’t want a player trying to be too creative on the RW as he was with his silly step overs, losing the ball and allowing for a break down the right flank. Someone with pace and a cross is what’s needed there and didn’t have much of either.

• WWSBRD

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:49 PM

TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa
    I agree with ur sentiment, I also think Cabella was very muc mismanaged early doors and never got the chance to get himself settled. He was dropped far too easily when he struggled and when he played well he was still in our very poor team playing a style of football that didnt help his cause

A real shame to lose him imo

• Mister Tuff

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:49 PM

I think if Thauvin is a flop we could legitimately blame Carr. We were after him several years ago so the only common denominator between then and now is Carr.
    But let’s see how he does.

• Llort muw

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:50 PM

WWSBRD

Yeah that makes sense.

————————————-

Armstrong looking good on loan, exactly what he needed because people were starting to doubt him on his first team appearences for the toon. Glad he is showing what he can do albeit at a lower level.

• Our Toon

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:50 PM

Taco

I’d be happy if Cabella could beat 1 player never mind 10. As for only creative player, he finished on par or below Sammy, Obertan, Gouffran ,Colback for assists. He scored the same amount of goals as Williamson

• Ibizatoon

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:51 PM

Moonraker (from previous)…Firstly, I would like to say it doesn’t and shouldn’t matter whether you were critical before or not. Some things change, some don’t.

However, you said:

“I don’t understand how anyone can be negative about our signings! You have to be happy moaning to be negative now.”

You said you “don’t understand” and then want on to claim that someone “has to be happy moaning to be negative now”.

You haven’t answered my question. If you don’t understand, how can you know what the person “has to” anything?

Player recruitment at this stage looks good. Still needs work. You seem convinced that work will take place, fair play to you. I hope so, but we’ll wait and see.

A few more signings was really at the bottom of my list of gripes with the club. I’m still waiting to see this new NUFC, a club that tries, one that we can all be proud of.

I do hope you will excuse me for waiting to see what unfolds before becoming delerious with excitement.

I am eager to see what our new coaching team can do mind. Not so much McClaren. But the team as a whole would appear to be greatly improved.