The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

McClaren – This Player Will Be A Big Asset To Newcastle

11:49 pm, Tuesday, August 18th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 13 Comments

Steve McClaren has talked about Newcastle’s number 10 – Siem de Jong – who had his first season on Tyneside ravaged by some serious injuries, almost one after the other.

He had a badly torn thigh muscle he suffered last September, and then we had just about recovered from that,  he suffered his second collapsed lung in 18 months.

siem de jong gatehead

Siem de Jong – playing at Gateshead

That was corrected by surgery and should not happen again, but the year he had out has made it difficult for Siem to recover his sharpness in pre-season, but it’s coming back slowly but surely.

And Siem didn’t make the starting eleven at Southampton, although he did come on as a substitute in the second half, but then he wasn’t taken to Swansea because he damaged a shin in training last week.

Steve McClaren has talked about Newcastle’s number 10 today:

“Because of the injuries he had last season, and the start, and the pre-season he’s had – he did terrifically well and hadn’t missed a day’s training before his latest setback.”

“He’s worked hard – I think Siem has found that year out catching up with him, shall we say.”

“He’s going to take a while getting to the right tempo and the right level, but we can see it every day, that he’s improving, getting better and he can see that, too.”

“But, yeah, at the present moment he’s fighting to get into the team.” “They all need to be patient.”

“Believe you me, the 1-11 I kind of ignore. I’ve always said that the most important people in a squad are the 11-18 and sometimes 18-23.”

“That’s because they are the ones, like against Southampton, who have got to come on and win you the game, or draw it, or make sure you secure the game.”

“Everybody is as important and everybody has to be patient – and everybody knows that in a tough Premier League, everybody will play games and everybody will play their part – Everybody.”

“Of course Siem can make a big difference.” “He can assist and he can score and that’s a big weapon to have, those two things.”

“He’s going to be a big asset for us.” “I remember when he came here, I remember thinking what a good signing that was.”

“He’s yet to light the place up, but that’s purely because of injuries.” “He’s just building up to get that chance.”

Siem de Jong is on his way back, and after the season Siem had to endure last season, it’s not all that surprising that Siem is taking longer than most in getting his sharpness back.

But it will return and that will be great for the Dutch International and also good for Newcastle when it happens – sooner rather than later hopefully.

What do you think?

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Premier League · Siem de Jong

13 responses so far ↓

• 1 Thump // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:51 PM

“Eh, they’re starting anyway, who cares?”

• 2 jimmysmith // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:53 PM

We have a defence that is good going forward and playing the ball out of defence, but poor when exposed. Colo cops it, but Haidarra and Janmaat if anything are worse. I think the plan is essentially a simple one, attack and score more than the opposition, because that is the strength of this group of players and why we are still bolstering the attack, because of course, as we saw on Saturday it can get ugly if the opposition actually is better at attacking than we are, and come out of the blocks hard and fast.

• 3 Jail for Ashley // Aug 19, 2015 at 12:03 AM

I’m not sure if catchy, Rotonda or Mag52 will agree with this, but Steve Mclaren is a sacked Championship manager who didn’t want to know us. But we hate cockneys so that’s why we wanted a Schteve !

• 4 jimmysmith // Aug 19, 2015 at 12:07 AM

………and press as a unit defensively, to protect the back four, that will concede when exposed. A work in progress I guess. Ha!

• 5 Mister Tuff // Aug 19, 2015 at 12:07 AM

Toon P – it is a matter of record – a quote from the Carr interview. Carr clearly says king Percy went to watch his recommendations. So we could probably assume King Percy vetted the signings.
    Now whether King Percy wanted to chase players costing 2-3 times as much and was not allowed due to the financial limits is a completely different story.

• 6 Our Toon // Aug 19, 2015 at 12:15 AM

Makes you wonder even more about pardew and some of his daft selections. Especially the playing of players out of position. I wonder when he saw Santon play as a DM.

• 7 Mister Tuff // Aug 19, 2015 at 12:18 AM

Wally is now saying that everybody in the SQUAD will get a game. Not sure about that – I agree with changing things around a bit – but using the WHOLE squad – Not sure about that. I suppose all the squad should be available to fill in – but our squad – I don’t think so.

• 8 Tsunki // Aug 19, 2015 at 12:23 AM

Course the whole squad will get a fine. We have the cup rounds to bow out of meekly, dont we?

• 9 Mister Tuff // Aug 19, 2015 at 12:32 AM

Our Toon – I certainly think that probably Percy was not allowed to get top notch players and the ones scouted and selected were not the ones at the top of the list -due to the financial limitations ordered by Tubbs.
    I think they are all complicit – but Tubbs was the architect along with Owl Heed.

• 10 Mister Tuff // Aug 19, 2015 at 12:37 AM

I think one of the revellations of the week was from Steve Stone basically saying we did not have a dead ball specialist for a couple of years and nothing was done about it.
    The corner routine was the same every game. They did not try anything new.
    Noticed Palace tried to mix it a bit at the weekend. Cannot remember who took the corner but it was floated out to Cabaye for the volley – worked but the shot was blocked.

• 11 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 19, 2015 at 12:44 AM

I don’t think Janmaat falls into the bad bracket just yet. All footballers have nightmare games. After two games seems a little harsh, this lad played in the world cup last summer and did well and for us last season also.

Haidara, well this lad has never shone for me and I think he has a fair way to go to be considered a Premier League starter. An upgrade would be brilliant.

Colo has to remain I think atleast for this season to help bed Mbemba in, Taylor will be missing and Williamson a deffo no. Bringing two CB’s in with no Prem experience is a huge gamble so I understand the need to keep Colo on for atleast another year. Lascelles is not ready yet.

An upgrade on Haidara now and I’d be happy, especially if he can cover both sides.

I can’t knock that midfield and forward line at the minute. Thauvin can cover both flanks and with Aarons and Perez on the bench it’s looking OK.

Obviously if Cisse and Sissoko leave that won’t look as strong.

On Pardew, he clearly wanted players in to replace outgoings which never arrived. I don’t believe for a second he wanted Anita when he was signed. It’s common knowledge as far as i’v read that he never had the last say, whether he liked the players or not. The policy has been to buy for re-sale value.

John Carver and Steve Stone spoke at the weekend on goals on Sunday and mentioned they looked on the wall at the list of squad players and simply said it was not good enough. I totally agree. Sure, they could put out an 11 but once injuries creep in that was it. The quality was never there and it was the same with Pardew also with the cover in positions. The bench was woeful the second half of last season aswell.

Im not deflecting all blame, im just saying MA policies caused more problems than any of the coaches at the club. For the last 4 years the playing staff and coaches have been hung out to dry, it would of been a miracle to me to see any progression on the footballing side.

None of them had a hope in hell of succeeding.

Im going to turn over for the night enjoy lads.

• 12 Sliema // Aug 19, 2015 at 12:44 AM

Palace’s setpieces have been a lot better than ours since Pardew jumped ship. He can’t have been to blame entirely, you wonder what the setup really is at our club, which of the backroom staff was most influential from a coaching standpoint… probably was Carver with hindsight.

Players still recovering from the poor coaching we’ve had for years? Can they even recover? I argue that some probably cannot, have peaked already or have been ‘pardewed’ lol. The game is so competitive at this level that a few years worth of poor coaching is going to be hard to undo.

• 13 jimmysmith // Aug 19, 2015 at 12:51 AM

TP, I think Janmaat is extremely good going forward, but soberingly poor when isolated and being run at by a top winger, and I think the Dutch tactics at the World Cup were a reflection of this. I don’t view our defenders negatively particularly, just trying to recognise their strengths and weaknesses.

previous post: Big Challenge This Season For Tim Krul