The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle To Move On From Swansea Hammering

10:07 am, Tuesday, August 18th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 148 Comments

After the game on Saturday at the Liberty Stadium, it was disappointing to come away with a 2-0 defeat, but in truth we were very lucky to get away with that scoreline.

It could (should?) have been a  much bigger defeat after Daryl Janmaat was sent off after 41 minutes for two yellows cards for fouls against the star of the game – Ecuadorian left-winger Jefferson Montero.

Daryl Janmaat fouls Jefferson Montero+Swansea+City+v+Newcastle+United+vyJRN-3o43Bl

Daryl Janmaat chops down Montero – again

The game was too much like the games we had under John Carver, where the players seemed frustrated and undisciplined (and outplayed), and at least Daryl Janmaat on Saturday lost his head and once we were down to 10 men the game was essentially over.

And the other big negative on Saturday was that Moussa Sissoko had to come off at half time with a groin injury, and we are yet to know just how bad that injury is.

Moussa has looked very good in pre-season.

Steven Taylor came on in the second half and Chancel Mbemba, who was our Man of the Match,  went to right back – and that could well be what happens when we play at Old Trafford on Saturday, in the early kick-off game.

This is what Steven has said today:

“We are trying hard to get our first win of the season and there is no shortage of confidence from the players.”

“We went to Swansea believing we could win the game and had a game plan to do it but unfortunately Swansea played better than us – we have to accept that and take it on the chin.”

“All we can do is move on and we have a massive week ahead of us, it is important we get down to the training ground, get grafting and look forward to the Manchester United game.”

“Old Trafford is a great place to play and hopefully it can inspire us to do something pretty special.”

It was the proverbial bad day at the office for Newcastle and before Daryl was sent off we did look like we were getting back into the game.

What Newcastle must show now is a lot more fortitude at Old Trafford on Saturday, and we’ll see if we can compete – which we didn’t do at the Liberty Stadium last Saturday.

Swansea were just too good for us.

What do you think?

Tags: Coaching · Daryl Janmaat · Man of the Match · Newcastle News · Steven Taylor

148 responses so far ↓

• 1 Munster Mag // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:21 AM

Re Carr choices , why can we always say that its Ashleys fault ?? How many gem signings has he made that have been brilliant for us or have seriously jumped in value? Of course, the coaching and Ashleys budget comes into this too, but why is Carr blameless? Why is it that ” In Carr we trust ” . Because of Cabaye ? Tiote ? Who’s fault s it that Cabella looks like a failiure. Pardews?? Santon was a bad buy – terrible defender. Mbiwa wasnt suitable to english football. I just think we have invested far too much faith in Carr. Maybe I’m being harsh because the club has problems all over, but he is help us as a gem at the club and i am no longer certain why ???

• 2 Bobbybee // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:25 AM

It’s far too early to be making judgement yet. Two games into a season? Nothing will happen overnight, it’s going to take time. Unless anybody truly believes we’ll finish ahead of Chelsea, or that Liecester will stay top? The window’s still open and nobody knows what that holds yet. It might take a good few games yet for things to settle down, or we might discover we will get relegated, but either way, nobody knows from just two games where we’ll finish. I believe we have the quality to be comfortable this season, then push on next – but that’s just one man’s opinion. 🙂

• 3 firebug666 // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:33 AM

Munster Mag

I’m not saying he is blameless, nor a great scout, But that he has a very difficult job.

I would think that being on the board (a mistake imo) would allow him to think bigger and better players, and maybe to an extent that has happened, but he is still restricted.

You are right when you say the club has problems all over, for me Charnley is totally out of his depth as MD, Carr and McClaren should not be on the board of directors (penny pinching to save employing proper directors) and even with a few new faces nothing seems to have changed on the pitch, as a collective they should all be gotten rid of. As individuals they are all useless, and as a collective they are a disaster.

But then this is NUFC after all.

• 4 nufc 11 // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:34 AM

Would def agree, Carr should be blamed, Lascelles looks no where ready for the 1st team. Boyatta at city went to Celtic for 1.5million never even came into nufc thinking, you can bet carr was consultated in Colos new deal too why he got it I will never understand, Austin seems a no brainer not happening bcoz of 3 million difference in valuation? 12 million for the new HBA (I mean train wreck, Thauvin) Is he one of the right ones that super Mac keeps talking up, Willo still at the club, Taylor still at the club why havent they been moved on? too busy or not trying to sign austin is it? Buying from abroad doesnt always work home grown players are availible Philips, Austin, Dawson, you can just hear them saying wel wait until Jan window and then the usual aftermat.

• 5 hibbit // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:34 AM

bobby the back 4 is still a big problem no rb cover no first team lb cb’s who cannot defend dead ball situations next 2weeks could define the season who comes in who goes out

• 6 BandB // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:35 AM

Judgements that we may finish down the table again are just that….judgements.
    Just like your judgement (also made after just two games) that we have the quality to be comfortable this season is a judgement.
    Can you explain the difference that warrants you making this same point over and over again?

• 7 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:37 AM

Two issues need to be taken first BEFORE we can even look like we are playing…

1. Pace and crossing
    (as Cisse and Mitro are not do it all themselves shearer type of players but finishers for me and put that ball near Mitro’s head he will score)
    2. Defence.

None of them are touched truth be told.

• 8 Munster Mag // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:40 AM

Bobby, I was more optimistic before Swansea. I expected to lose by two goals but wanted to see more from the team. Instead we saw the same old crap. It doesnt augur well for Steve if he cant get guys like Cisse and Sissoko and Janmaat to perform. If he cant motivate then early in his reign, when will he ? It was a poor decision to commit so strongly to Colo, and not ensure that funds were spent on a decent centre back. There seems to have been no instant impact from Steve , just an improvement in style and training , apart from possibly Wijnaldom who is a class act. In other words, if we had lost 4-2 to Swansea, with motivated players i would have been happy. Even Pardew managed 4-4 against Arsenal and 3-1 home to Liverpool I think ? The bollock.

• 9 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:41 AM

In serious defence of Carr,

sorry to say we HAVE been linked with great players but we don’t think their evaluation is fair. And if we wanted to get Austin we should have. What is 2-3 million more for a player if we want him, same goes for Ayew, Aaubayang, Gomis, whoever else there was.

All should have been here and we would be of better quality lets not kid here.

• 10 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:42 AM

Munster Mag

“Bobby, I was more optimistic before Swansea. I expected to lose by two goals but wanted to see more from the team. Instead we saw the same old crap.”

And THAT was the issue, I saw the game too it was horrific. I would rather lose 4:1 and play well in the game and we where not even close could have been 4:0 easy.

• 11 Magpie Season // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:43 AM

I really don’t like the Thauvin/Cabella exchange deal that is supposed to happen. Another case where we have not given players with lots of potential (& resale value) a chance.

Looking at Thauvin, he looks the same frail/fragile type as does Cabella. Also, Cabella had a far, far better season in Ligue 1 than Thauvin did, which is why the former had gotten called up for the world cup squad.

A 7 mil loss & all we are left with is another “what could have been.”

• 12 JamesToon // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:43 AM

Really hope we don’t lose Cabella, but Thauvin could give Mitrovic the service he needs

• 13 Jib // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:44 AM

You would appear to be saying only the neggers should be allowed to repeat their shyte over and over again ad nauseum .

• 14 Munster Mag // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:45 AM

In Carr we trust ….well I hope that he doesnt get us more Santons, Gouffys and Cabellas . I do agree that Ashley ballsed up re penny pinching over the Swansea strikers – both the current one and the guy who went to City. Would Carr not have wanted Montero ? Would Crar not have looked at Ayew. And it not, why not ? Who are the gems he uncovered ? Wasnt Cabaye in the french team? Is Tiote ( early days ) his only unknown gem? Am in a grumpy mood today guys so allow me some slack!

• 15 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:46 AM

Cabella I actually think needs time. I have no idea where is this decision coming from it ain’t a good one.

I don’t care about Thauvin, Cabella was not bad at all has potential had some great moves against Manure too.

• 16 Offkey // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:49 AM

To be fair, I quite like haidara but would prefer Santon on the left at this point in time……also I would prefer Santon on the right instead of mbemba or animal in the next game……..that’s what penny pinching in January gets you…….along with a long, hard second half of the season.

• 17 Offkey // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:50 AM

Ffs, auto correct, animal = anita

• 18 Magpie Season // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:50 AM

And Cabella would not have?

Cabella in his last season for Montepellier:

14 goals, 5 assists

Thuavin last season for Marseilles:

5 goals, 4 assists.

They are so much alike in many ways but I think 1 difference is Cabella is an entertainer, tries to innovate on the pitch. I would be very upset to see him leave.

• 19 bettyswallocks // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:51 AM

Bobby……… From previous thread. It does appear that Arma is an instinctive goal scorer . Apparently Tony Mowbray was quoted as saying that his goal scoring had been coached out of him.

Obviously he’s not a hold up target man , and he does appear to have a quick footballing brain. Maybe when the team is structured to accommodate such a player we will see the best of him.
    I think your judgement might be spot on though.

• 20 Magpie Season // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:52 AM

lol who is animal?

• 21 Transfer Sage // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:53 AM

I agree on Carr, I thought he was a good scout hampered by a tight budget but it seems that his bigger signings haven’t cut it.

I don’t think he is bad not amazing, just a standard scout, tons of players coming to the league end up “failures” in many people’s eyes.

I think that the main problem is where he buys from, the Dutch and French leagues, both are fairly weak compared to the top few leagues in Europe so it must be hard to judge if a player can cut it.

What he needs is more support to scout other areas of he hasn’t got that or if he already has this available he needs to listen to the scouts and spend some time in Spain/Germany following up on links.

It may well be we look at those leagues as they have the best chance of a big profit but it could be that is the only place he is comfortable and has connections

• 22 Offkey // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:53 AM

Betty – can’t believe that Mowbray said arma had been pardewed

• 23 BandB // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:55 AM

Not at all.
    I am saying that following the sentence “it’s too early to judge” with a judgement is an odd argument.
    I don’t begrudge anyone their upbeat assessment. I wasn’t suggesting it was too early for an alternative opinion to be invalid, but not my own.
    The upbeat Bobbybee was.

• 24 Offkey // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:56 AM

Magpie – just got a tablet with autocorrect, I didn’the know it could be such annoyance until now

• 25 Transfer Sage // Aug 18, 2015 at 10:57 AM

We seem to avoid free transfers, maybe it’s because they ask for higher wages and we won’t give them in case other players start complaining.

it seems every time we are linked with a player who becomes a free agent we drop interest. There was a lot of paper talk on players like gomis and ayew

• 26 Our Toon // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:00 AM

I hope we do get more Gouffran’s in terms of end product to value for money. We paid 1.5m for Gouffran which is a bargain considering the amount of goals he’s scored in his time here. He isn’t good enough but last season he did more than Cabella who cost a heck of alot more.

No matter who is signed the transfer is a risk, Lovren excellent at Southampton dud at Liverpool, Enrique, Carroll etc etc. Any transfer is a risk

• 27 Our Toon // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:01 AM

Cabella was bought for 7m plus add ons which apparently take it to 12m, keeping him here and him failing could mean we pay a further 5m for a dud. He’s shown absolutely nothing to say he’d be a success here

• 28 Jib // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:04 AM

Too early to judge followed by an opinion outside of judgemental factors occurs all the time not just on footy blogs

• 29 Magpie Myles // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:04 AM

It’s a shame to see Cabella go, but i hope Thauvin can do a job. I don’t know a lot about him but i hear he has some quite good pace and vision?
    I really don’t understand why we haven’t looked at Nathan Redmond? That kid has pace, skill and can score goals.

• 30 Bobbybee // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:05 AM

I think if you check what I’ve written, I actually say ‘that’s just one man’s opinion.’ Or am I not allowed that opinion? Is this some sort of ‘negative nazi’ blog where having an opinion that doesn’t agree with doom and gloom ad nauseum bloggers isn’t allowed? Go F@ck yourselves frankly. That’s my opinion and until I hear I’m officially forbidden from that opinion – which I wouldn’t hold your breath for – I’ll continue to express my opinions. I’m a naturally positive person and if you don’t like that, don’t fricking read my posts in future. Oh no, somebody thinks I’m too positive, I better cut my own throat to appease them. That’s really gonna happen. If football made me into such a bitter, twisted negative f#ck as it does some of you, I’d take up a different sport to be honest. If you want to stay stuck in the past, whining and crying over every little possible thing, then fine, knock yourself out, but I won’t be joining you anytime soon. Come on Newcastle United!!!!

• 31 Jail for Ashley // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:06 AM

Always with the drama. Leicester winning the league?

• 32 Ron Knee // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:06 AM

I’m already trying to weigh up the three teams worse than us!

• 33 martoon // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:06 AM

BandB@23 – I would say Bobbybee was giving his opinion – there is subtle difference between an opinion and a judgement!

• 34 Transfer Sage // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:08 AM

Our toon

Exactly. The lad has had a few good moments in games but I’d never have said he had a good game (an 8/10 performance). He’s like a poor version of ben Arfa and they didn’t entertain him.

if McClaren is happy for him to go (can’t say if he is or not) then it would be pointless hanging on as he isn’t in the plans.

If the reason we are letting him go is to potentially save on the 5mil add ons and that decision was made above McClaren who wanted to give him more time it’s poor.

But we will never know and from what I’ve seen ive been far from impressed (even though we used him as a winger and I’ve seen him at his best in the champions league through the middle).

• 35 hibbit // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:08 AM

bobby who’s that rant at ??

• 36 Our Toon // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:09 AM

Nufc 11

I’d have taken a punt on Boyata for 1.5m, Phillips of QPR doesn’t fill me with excitement at all, he scored a wonder goal last season but other than that he’s a poor man’s obertan. Austin doesn’t offer value for money, we don’t seem to be the only ones who think that’s the case, the whole premier league doesn’t want him at that price. Probably says more about his ability without Zamora and being poor at playing upfront on his own. Michael Dawson is shite, he’s 32 years old and will be 33 in November no thanks.

Tim Sherwood recently said that the British market doesn’t offer value for money and even he’s looking abroad. Perfect example being Payet of West ham, contributed to 84 goals either in assists or scored in 2 years bought for 14.5m (Carr wanted him) Downing cost 20m

Suarez cost 25m, Carrol cost 35m, Sterling cost 45m and Sanchez cost 32m

• 37 Transfer Sage // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:10 AM

Ron knee

I think we are safe with sunderland, Watford and Bournemouth in the league. Sunderland have nothing going forward at all and equally as poor as us at the back.

It’s a shame that North East football is so poor these days, only two top flight clubs and a real struggle to bring exciting players and football to the area.

• 38 BandB // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:11 AM

So why is he claiming that other people are making judgments when they are just expressing opinions?

• 39 Malta Mag // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:11 AM

Can’t understand this obsession with wanting to bring in fullbacks? Both Taylor and Anita are more than capable of playing right back and Colback and Dummett can slot in at left back? The priority for me is a centre back, centre forward and right winger in that order.
    Hate the negative bloggers on here and won’t even respond to the crap they spout especially on the new management team who I think have already made a difference. Before Jaanmat was sent off on Saturday we were getting a grip on the game against a very good Swansea team. I think Mitrovic will prove to be a colossus and hope he plays against Man U but I do hope we bring in Austin as back up and let Cisse go with a fond farewell. I also can’t believe the outpouring of regret if Cabella leaves? He’s a poor man’s Ben Arfa and never looked like a player who would cut it at this level. Bringing in Thauvin on the right and Aarons on the left makes more sense. Two genuine wingers who can get it in the box from wide areas. In the meantime let’s hope we get a good CB? The lad from Monaco is awesome but is it realistic? Not sure it will happen but someone like Johnny Evans might? Think positive for goodness sake and stop your bloody moaning!!!!

• 40 hibbit // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:13 AM

sage bournemouth might be the dark horse they were unlucky last night play some nice footbal

• 41 BandB // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:14 AM

Thank you Bobbybee.
    I have been wondering how skin deep your Mr Reasonable posturing has been.

• 42 Transfer Sage // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:15 AM

That’s the problem with the home grown rule. It does nothing but drive up the price of Engliah players to silly levels.

It neither needs to be more extreme and say you need 8/9 english players starting (which isn’t a good idea for me).

Or it needs scrapping, the best players will still get games and the others can play lower league or play abroad. A lot of the South Anerican teams are so good as their lads play all over world so experience different styles and conditions.

• 43 Tsunki // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:16 AM

Jeff @13 careful there sunny Jim you’re a bit loud after your recent Wile E. Moment.

Evidently there are the Wild Optimists and the Doom Mongers battling it out for prophecy fulfilment, but what the Doom Mongers have in their arsenal is track record. I’d like to know where the ammo for upcoming righting of wrings and steadying of ships comes from. What information is being used to say that we will steadily improve and start building a good club again.

• 44 hibbit // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:17 AM

dont think that answer was for me sage ?

• 45 Tsunki // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:19 AM

I dunno for all his protesting Bobbybee doesn’t look like a positive chap in post 30 😐

• 46 JamesToon // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:19 AM

I agree Magpie season but will back mcclarens decisions maybe Thauvin can prove his doubters wrong.

My lineup on Saturday would be:
    Mbemba Taylor Coloccini Haidara
    Tiote Wijnaldum
    Aarons Pérez Sissoko

Need to get the overlapping play going and provide service for mitro

• 47 Ron Knee // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:21 AM

Can’t agree on Bournemouth. I thought they were well-organised and showed fighting spirit (compare and contrast with our performance against Swansea). And Liverpool were very lucky.

I do agree that the North-East clubs are hopeless under-performers.

• 48 Our Toon // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:23 AM

We all have opinions mate no one is right or wrong but we DEBATE. It’s good that you are positive, I’m in what you’d call the negative bracket as you are well aware, probably has alot to do with me as a person, I’m very self critical because I aspire to get as close to perfection as possible, especially with the work I do. The only way you improve is by highlighting the weaknesses not patting yourself on the back for what you get right.

I look at NUFC and I could be positive about things and I have been at times when certain signings have been made etc. In all reality though I’d be lying to myself….deluding myself into thinking all will be well in the end or we’ll get where we want to be.

I have to say though you call it negative I call it reality, you are positive but I call it deluded, opinions mate but without name calling or swearing it’s better to debate cordially…..wouldn’t you agree?

• 49 hibbit // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:27 AM

bobby maybe if we had a board like the blog we would do better we all opinions across the board not just slapping each other on the back saying were doing a good job

• 50 JAMSHA // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:27 AM

Did Ed Miss The Sky Breaking News About Florian Deja Vu?

• 51 Our Toon // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:30 AM

Yeah Cabella only MOTM game was Hull away which turned out to be a massive 3 points but I’d cut my losses with him, he showed nothing last season apart from when not to do a stepover.

Things don’t look good for the mackems bit Watford amd Bournemouth have been impressive so far, Much better than I expected. Watford have Flores, he’s a seriously good manager and he’s built from the back. A draw away to Everton who smashed a team we drew at home to in Southampton. Bournemouth were robbed yesterday by the ref but dominated Villa the week before. If they add end product to there game then things won’t look as good for us.

West ham are the ones I put money on as going down, think Norwich will go down but not sure on who else

• 52 Jib // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:30 AM

They’ve (the usual suspects) managed to burrow under someone’s skin , niggling away until they get them to retort snappishly.
    Chalk up another success for the blog pi dogs.

• 53 beefman13 // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:33 AM

4 2 3 1 for Mclaren, that 2 is so so important, im afraid Colback and Anita may be the weakest in the prem, they both are neat and tidy but come on who the hell would be worried about playing against these two.
    Colback maybe just about, but we need upgrades from these two and steel added in there, far too many sideways safe balls being played, i had decent hopes for Anita but the prem is totally different to the Dutch league, i dont know how Anita has cemented his place in the middle of the park, since he has been at this club its been nowt owa to say the least, very puzzling.

• 54 ronaldo aarons // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:36 AM

Off topic, how has Perez not had 1 minute of game time in the first two matches. I get it why mclaren said when he was appointed that everyone gets a clean slate but Perez should be the on,y one that didn’t have to prove himself again and even if he has to he should be given the opportunity in matches. I think I’m more worried about it because during a couple games in preseason Perez was played very deep, almost cm position. He has so much potential and can offer a lot to us right now as he links up play very well, can beat a player and even when on the wing he puts a shift in defensively too. Such a good and well rounded player.

• 55 martoon // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:36 AM

BandB@38 – I think you’re splitting hairs now – the expression is “Too early to judge” – vary rarely have I heard “Too early to express an opinion”.
    Anyway to football matters I would imagine all scouts at PL clubs have had some successes and failures – I’ve know idea how Carr compares to others but I guess you have to take the transfer budget into account.

• 56 Thrasher // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:37 AM

I checked yesterday’s odds on us finishing top 10 and its 3 to 1. I’m gonna wait til after the man u & arsenal games and if we get f all the odds should be even better! Then I’m gonna Chuck a few quid on & wait for.our run up.the table. Yay. My idea seems flawless!

• 57 maggpie // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:37 AM

Just saw reports of these three defenders other clubs are reputedly bidding for:

Southampton are closing in on the signing of Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly for £8.5million, and still want to land Celtic defender Virgil van Dijk. (Daily Star)

West Bromwich Albion have made a £5million bid for Tottenham’s Argentina defender Federico Fazio. (Daily Telegraph)

Why can’t we get these three or similar, which would cost about £20m. Then forget the Austin/Thauvin nonsense.
    If we bought three such defenders then along with the players already signed every fan poll going would give the seal of approval for our transfer business.
    If I can see that why can’t the powers that be at the club?

• 58 BandB // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:39 AM

“In general, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.”

I’m out.

• 59 Our Toon // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:40 AM

Completely agree with the comments on Anita and Colback, both aren’t good enough and both are serial sideways passers. Would like to see what a fully fit Tiote and Wijinaldum would do as a pair with maybe a fully fit SDJ or a Perez playing in the no 10 role behind mitrovic

• 60 Jail for Ashley // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:42 AM

Malta and Munster Mags,
    Always moaning about the moaners.

• 61 Ron Knee // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:43 AM

I think we have to discount SDJ (fitness) and go for Perez.

• 62 Transfer Sage // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:44 AM

I still think Bournemouth will struggle. Be a bit like burnley last season but they don’t have a goal scoree

• 63 ronaldo aarons // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:45 AM

Sky reporting that Everton reject 30m bid for stones!!! Is it just me or is that just ridiculous? I personally wouldn’t pay half that for him, he’s good player but it’s more potential than anything. This country go crazy when an Englishman is produced that can play a little bit of football. The likes of sterling, Wilshire, Barkley and stones etc are raved about so much but other country’s produce much better players for a fraction of the cost.

• 64 Jail for Ashley // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:45 AM

I think Carrs successes added to the ones that got away far outweigh his duffers we’ve signed. We could have had a strike force of Bony and Remy if they’d coughed up. Erik Pieters would have been a sounder investment than Santon but the fat man likes a gamble.

• 65 Ian Toon // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:46 AM

26Ian Toon // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:44 AM

Bobbybee- I exchanged a post with a new blogger from Exeter the other evening. He had blogged on the 1960’s and Fairs Cup which is when he first started following the Toon. Looking through some old programmes my father had bequeathed me I noticed just how many youth products had come through to be regulars in the first team.
    What you see in Armstrong is young homegrown and capable of playing in the starting team. I have watched Armstrong a couple of times which is not enough to form a definitive view but he looks a good prospect. Other family members say he’s got a direct dribbling style, great at picking the ball up in midfield and quickly counter attacking at break knock speed. But that he has not been used properly at PL level. Aside from not having a confrontational dribbling style he sounded rather like Stirling @ Mancity.
    On the question of writing off our season after a few games I have said many times that early season form can be misleading. Given the mess Carver left the club in and our disastrous pre season I have suggested we won’t be up to speed until around 10 PL games. This will be after International break , closing window and bedding in new acquisitions.

• 66 Jib // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:46 AM

Since Tiote so successfully appeared on the scene , folk have been saying that the combative way he plays will always result in cards and suspensions .Therefore get a Tiote mark 2 or even a 3rd one , unfortunately in our signings it has never happened and now he is crocked we are paying for it.
    I always prefer (as do most EPL clubs) an enforcer to sitting midfielders.

• 67 martoon // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:48 AM

• 68 Ron Knee // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:50 AM

What I find annoying is that with adequate investment this could have been a good season for us. Manure, Liverpool, even Chelsea don’t look so formidable at the moment.

• 69 Jail for Ashley // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:51 AM

Tiote has never been the same since Derek Llambias with the fat mans blessing promised him a move to Chelsea only for their greed to cause the move to fall through.

• 70 Offkey // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:51 AM

Jib – it’s unlike you not to try and undermine those you have nicknamed the high five gang, with Google. …..I guess it actually wouldn’t have helped you…….better go for a different angle…….oh, you did. 🙂

• 71 ronaldo aarons // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:52 AM

I agree with most on here that we could do with another defensive mid and we were linked with one earlier in the summer, ergys kace. He is actually a really good player, very strong and can actually take set pieces. He is small though, smaller than Anita I think lol and I don’t think he would get on with our Serbian striker. Thinking about it now, our team needs so much work to it, not just the squad but the first 11 too.

• 72 Mister Tuff // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:55 AM

martoon – interesting the opinion v judgement debate.
    I would have thought that a judgement always has a conclusion whereas an opinion never does.

• 73 Ian Toon // Aug 18, 2015 at 11:56 AM

Munster – I agree with you but am not going to repeat my earlier posts. For many it just fits an agenda not to be critical of Carr because then it’s all down to Ashle . If you can be bothered I posted around 7.45 and until 8.30.
    I also made a case for a change in Carr’s modus operandi early last evening. It’s not been difficult to identify proven players which is what Debuchy was.
    Stones is the best Young English CB for many years. His positional play and movement is already first class. The market dictates the price

• 74 JamesToon // Aug 18, 2015 at 12:04 PM

@PeteGravesSky: Remy Cabella has left #nufc training ground early. For all the latest on the Florian Thauvin deal follow @SkySportsNewsHQ #SSNHQ #skysources

Thauvin has also landed in Newcastle

• 75 Mister Tuff // Aug 18, 2015 at 12:06 PM

opinion v judgement.
    I would add that at the time of making the opinion – it is not a judgement – however if an opinion turns out to be correct does it then become a judgement – interesting stuff.

• 76 Tsunki // Aug 18, 2015 at 12:07 PM

I think a big difference between a judgement and an opinion is that a judgement has finality.

• 77 ronaldo aarons // Aug 18, 2015 at 12:07 PM

Ian toon
    It’s not hard to be the best young English cb, just look at his competition. I do agree he is a good player with some qualities but I don’t see him being anywhere near top class either now or in the future. He’s not strong enough for a cb and for me, he slides in too much. Some of the best cbs in history hardly slid in opponents as they had great anticipation, reading and awareness.

• 78 Offkey // Aug 18, 2015 at 12:09 PM

Can’t see it as possible to hold an opinion without making a judgement……if I opine that it is not the correct time to make a judgement, the judgement I made was that it is not the correct time.

• 79 Tsunki // Aug 18, 2015 at 12:10 PM

You MAKE a judgement (final)
    You HAVE an opinion (changeable)

• 80 Bobbybee // Aug 18, 2015 at 12:13 PM

Ian toon. Arma will make it marra, despite what anybody thinks – me or anybody else – because he has the ability and drive to succeed. I am excited by the kid because I have seen so much of him. I’m not patting myself on the back ffs, I’m nowt to do with his up and coming stardom, I’m just excited by what I see. He’s one of ours and that’s what excites me and makes me so proud of the kid. He is what he is and nothing I or anybody else thinks or says can possibly have any affect on his future. I might get a bit peeved when people who haven’t got off their backsides to go watch him live, say he won’t make it, but that’s because they’re in no position to make that judgement. I express what I’ve witnessed personally, not what I’ve heard or from a few shocking cameos where he has been totally misused by Pardew and Carver. Even posts about what is or isn’t an opinion is still an opinion expressed by somebody 🙂 Tell ya what Ian, go and watch some videos of this kids finishing power and make your own opinion up. The first goal for England v Switzerland is a prime example. Rooney scored one nowhere near as good, yet was praised to the rafters for it. Movement, control, turn and volley – exquisite skills. This ain’t no flash in the pan mate, this is the real deal. 🙂

• 81 Tsunki // Aug 18, 2015 at 12:13 PM

Offley – I have the opinion that I won’t like Birds Nest Soup. The idea appeals me. However, I cannot make a judgement on that until I have tried it. Therefore I can at present only have an opinion which can be changed at any time.

• 82 Our Toon // Aug 18, 2015 at 12:14 PM

30m bid for Stones rejected, well done Everton. That proves just how crazy the price for British players are. Otamendi is valued at 25m ahahaha

• 83 ronaldo aarons // Aug 18, 2015 at 12:15 PM

Get French football reporting that cabella has arrived in marseille.

• 84 Tsunki // Aug 18, 2015 at 12:16 PM

Bobbybee – I hope you are right about Armstrong. It’s been a disappointing few years of little coming through the academy and this club badly needs a home grown striker. He’s doing the business at Coventry by the looks, be great if he translates that to our first team in a season or two.

• 85 ronaldo aarons // Aug 18, 2015 at 12:16 PM

And abdennour left out of Monaco squad for champions league qualifier.

• 86 Mister Tuff // Aug 18, 2015 at 12:17 PM

Ref the Carrr debate.
    Firstly, I’m sick of posting on here that Carr hasn’t signed anybody.
    Secondly, I’m sick of posting on here details from the Carr interview in which he describes his scouting duties and the process therafter.
    So many on here have clearly not updated themselves with the knowledge of the published processes available to us and go off on a tangent as to what they want to believe.
    What we didn’t know about fully was Carr’s lists -were his number 1 suggestions signed up, no 2, no3 etc.
    We’ll probably never know, do we hear about the pecking order of wanted players from other clubs -probably not.
    also the financial limits of valuing a player we have no knowledge of.
    Carr has stated the King Percy always made the time to go and watch his recommendations.
    It would seem – note seem -that we are getting better players now so something has changed.

• 87 Offkey // Aug 18, 2015 at 12:17 PM

Tsunki – you have just made a judgement without any evidence…….voltaiRe described that as prejudice. ……a prejudgement

• 88 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 18, 2015 at 12:18 PM

Our Toon…we have talked about this before and why so few British players leave the island (which is too bad for British football actually)

• 89 Munster Mag // Aug 18, 2015 at 12:18 PM

Jail, you’ve moaned about Ashley since time began and bored the shit out of us with “Ashley Out” every day, yet when I make a fair point about Carr, i’m called a moaner. Dont be so stupid man.

• 90 Offkey // Aug 18, 2015 at 12:21 PM

Jib taught me to use google

• 91 Munster Mag // Aug 18, 2015 at 12:23 PM

So when Carr gets a player that doesnt work out, its Ashleys fault – always ? I dont have some sort of vendetta v Carr here, believe me, but if you stand back and look at the gems he has uncovered , it doesnt amount to a whole hill of beans. How much time did he spend watching Cabella. Too much i think. Santon had zero spatial awareness and Mbiwa didnt fancy heading the ball and was only saved by his pace. Who would want Santon back now to defend out goal? I wouldnt. Our Toon, I think you said Gouffran has done well for 1.5 million. He has hardly lifted a leg for us for two years FFS! I think Tiote and Perez were the gems, as Cabaye was in the French team when we got him. Whats annoying me, is that no matter what NUFC does, it seems to flop. Can u imagine if we got Leicesters Tinkerman. There would have been a revolt – and we’d be bottom 🙂

• 92 Munster Mag // Aug 18, 2015 at 12:25 PM

I do agree re Carr being stuck on France and Holland but both leagues produce plenty of talent . Germany and Sain may cost too much, but we cant accuse Ashley of not spending bucks this summer and we chose Belgium and Holland…

• 93 Our Toon // Aug 18, 2015 at 12:27 PM

Excellent stuff on Armstrong, he’s someone you’ve followed closely and I hope he makes the grade. I just don’t want to put to much pressure on the lad and let him develop without the expectation. I look at the likes of Rooney, Wilshire, Sterling etc. They haven’t improved if anything they’ve gone backwards or stagnated. Arma has alot of promise but promise doesn’t necessarily mean he’ll make the step up. Hope he makes the step up

• 94 Rotonda heights // Aug 18, 2015 at 12:30 PM

I think if you analyse all of jail’s comments there’s generally not too much warmth or bonhomie generated. Who knows the reason why.

• 95 Rotonda heights // Aug 18, 2015 at 12:31 PM

ronaldo aarons

now if abdennour came, we can call it a game changer.

• 96 Bobbybee // Aug 18, 2015 at 12:40 PM

WARNING. Any post with the heading Bobbybee is likely to contain positive thoughts that are likely to offend people of a negative persuasion. If the content causes offence, I promise not to be offended if you don’t bother reading them in the future. My post which appears to have caused some people so much grief is finished with the words ‘one man’s opinion’. If individuals are having a problem with this, they should feel free to google it and post whatever they find, if that’s what floats their boat. Unlike some on here, I never make sweeping statements such as: ‘we won’t sign any more players’, or ‘Ashley will never spend that much on one…’ whoops. Nor do I think we will win the league. In fact, most of my opinions are marked as my humble opinion. Nothing more. Nothing less. Nor do I ever insult people unless it is in reply to an
    insult. I will continue to express an opinion and if it is in direct opposition to yours, don’t take it personally. I don’t intend any harm. But realism? Really? I’m a staunch socialist, but long ago gave up on a socialist government. It won’t happen. Just as screaming and shouting at Ashley has no affect on him whatsoever. He doesn’t give a toss what I, or you think, or say; he is a billionaire businessman who happens to own our club and like many others before him, we simply don’t matter. That, is realism. One thing I will say with some certainty, is that the knacker will go when the knacker chooses to go – and not a minute earlier.

• 97 Our Toon // Aug 18, 2015 at 12:40 PM

I said Gouffran was good value for money at 1.5m and you say he’s hardly lifted a leg for 2 years.

12/13 season: 15 games, 3 goals, 0 assists
    13/14 season: 35 games, 6 goals, 3 assists
    14/15 season: 31 games, 2 goals, 1 assist

Out of those 81 games he’s played he’s started 69 and made 12 sun appearances.

81 games, 11 goals, 4 assists for a player bought for 1.5m is very good value for money.

• 98 martoon // Aug 18, 2015 at 12:42 PM

Offkey & Tuff – the next time BandB is on you explain to her the difference between Opinion & Judgement 🙂

• 99 Offkey // Aug 18, 2015 at 12:45 PM

Marton – at least let me try and be knowledgeable about something……….I know nowt about footy 🙂

• 100 Our Toon // Aug 18, 2015 at 12:47 PM

Yep shouting at Ashley achieves nothing spot on, a protest gathering momentum an unpopular owner realising he had to make changes because as it’s often said he’s a businessman. A business is only a success because of its customers base, unhappy consumers has a negative affect on the business both internally and externally, especially financially. Ashley just decided to wake one day a do an apparent complete 180 on the way things work at the club.

Sure shouting at him or protest or showing discontent had absolutely nothing to do with it, even the media was turning against him which was putting SD into the spotlight.

• 101 Whumpie // Aug 18, 2015 at 12:54 PM

Gneahh – fed up with all this. Same shite, different season.

At least this made me laugh:

• 102 Jib // Aug 18, 2015 at 12:58 PM

So right

• 103 Bobbybee // Aug 18, 2015 at 1:00 PM

Our toon. This is a football blog matey, I don’t come on here to row with people, just talk football. Now we’re on the subject 🙂 I honestly don’t think Arma even reads this stuff mate, do you? Me raving about the kid will have as little effect as those claiming he’s not good enough. Honestly, I’ve not been this excited about a prospect since I first saw Gazza play, so I admit I find it impossible to contain myself – nor will I frankly. He’s such an amazing prospect and HE’S OURS. He’s one of our own. After so much misery, he’s my light at the end of the tunnel and I make no apologies for getting excited over his potential. After a few years, we might well have to let him move on to fulfil that potential, unless we get our finger out, but whilst he’s ours I intend to enjoy every second of it. Granted, he might not make it, it’s just that imo, having watched him grow, I truly believe we have a future superstar on our books. Am I wrong to celebrate that? I watch football for the buzz it gives me. I’m not into the politics because you can’t guarantee the next owner will be better. Megarich people are an enigma to me. I know what I’d do if it was me – I’d want my team to be the best and sod the expense if I could afford it – and he Ashley can. I don’t understand his thought patterns, so I don’t waste my time trying. He’s an arrogant man who I don’t think cares what we think and will do whatever he chooses. That’s my reality mate. I’ve given up trying to change the world because rich people don’t care what we think.

• 104 Tsunki // Aug 18, 2015 at 1:01 PM

Off key I made an observation. 🙂 it’s not an opinion as it doesn’t bear any personal preferences. But it’s similar in that it can be altered by a change in the parameters the observation was based on. Google that 😀

• 105 Offkey // Aug 18, 2015 at 1:04 PM

Jib proclaiming it’s boring to argue when that’s all he does most of the time……..well done

• 106 Our Toon // Aug 18, 2015 at 1:05 PM

Did your alter ego ever find that world famous club team named Brazil?

• 107 Offkey // Aug 18, 2015 at 1:08 PM

Tsunki – think i’ll pass this time……..sorry jib, you were right 🙂

• 108 jayphoto // Aug 18, 2015 at 1:08 PM

Not a Gouffran fan but for 1.5m he was fantastic value! I thought he was 750k to be honest. He was 26, had nearly 300 ligue 1 appearances,champions league appearances, 20 odd france u21 apps, a league title, a cup medal to his name etc
    You would be able to sign a player out of league 2 for 1.5m these days….
    He isn’t an awful player, not his fault Pardew used him as a 2nd left back. He actually left Bordeaux because he wanted to play striker, not a winger.

• 109 BandB // Aug 18, 2015 at 1:09 PM

If it is valid to express the opinion that “we have the quality to be fine this season” on the basis of two games played, it cannot be invalid to express the opinion (Bobbybee called it a judgement) that “we do not have the quality to be fine this season” on the basis of two games played.
    Surely, it’s either too early to be forming opinions or it isn’t?
    And I haven’t expressed any opinion on where we will finish this season.
    Ask Martoon.

• 110 Our Toon // Aug 18, 2015 at 1:10 PM

I have no issues with you being excited about young Arma, I’m just saying it’s best for him to grow without the weight of expectations on him. 1 person or handful of people doesn’t equate to pressure for him so it’s probably good that some think he won’t make it.

• 111 Mister Tuff // Aug 18, 2015 at 1:12 PM

Aahhh refreshing that it is still possible to use the expression “knacker” without being jumped on by the anti -knacker police.
    It is a fine Geordie expression which covers all sorts of fools and micreants.
    Mr Tubbs…………………………..OOT
    Bwave warriors……………………IN
    Bwave centurions…………………IN
    Wallys bwave new world…………erm eh
    – forget that cos’ I don’t know what it means.

• 112 Mister Tuff // Aug 18, 2015 at 1:12 PM

error – miscreants

• 113 jayphoto // Aug 18, 2015 at 1:14 PM

Good to see Arma right where he should be! Coventry a really good selection for him so hats off whoever made that call. Under Mowbray they out an out attack which is great for a young striker! His confidence will rocket. To be honest he’s obviously too good for League 1 but it’ll place him well to go into a championship side after January and go in with confidence.
    Not sure if he’ll ever make it at Newcastle but he’ll definitely have a career in football

• 114 Mister Tuff // Aug 18, 2015 at 1:16 PM

An early opinion based on scant knowledge could be lauded as brilliant if it turns out to be correct.
    The converse also applies and those getting it wildly wrong may be accused of being a knacker.

• 115 Our Toon // Aug 18, 2015 at 1:16 PM

Not sure if it was 1.5m or 750k for Gouffran and like you I’m not a fan of his but can appreciate his value for the price we paid.

• 116 beefman13 // Aug 18, 2015 at 1:17 PM

Young Arma is a proper player in the making,we did not play to his strengths at all, i mean humping high balls up to the lad who is probably 5ft 7inches, he was getting gobbled up, Tony Mowbray has said the kid is super quick, get him on the shoulders of the last defender and hes away, terrific awarness and will only get better and this stint at Coventry will do him the world of good.

I did champion young Adam Campbell big style as well, but he just has not got the presence and has not pushed on, just to nice of a lad by the looks and sounds of it, so i will hold my hands up, but in training and for a while while i watched the under 21`s he was up there with the best just like young Shane Fergie but it has not happened for them, i just hope n pray Arma comes through as he really is an undoubted talent.

• 117 jayphoto // Aug 18, 2015 at 1:24 PM

@beefman – was a lot of talk that Campbells attitude was not inline with being a top level footballer and that he didn’t have the desire or hunger.
    Best thing that’s ever happened to Armstrong is carver and pardew leaving in my opinion! From the sounds of it hes not gone to Coventry and lorded it up, flashing the cash (hes on higher wages with us than any cov player), seems like hes knuckling down and working hard.
    In contrast Campbell couldn’t even get into starting line ups when sent on loan down the divisions and rather than working hard to play he just kind of accepted it. We’ve produced a few like that in the past though that have torn up the youth leagues but struggled at professional level

• 118 jimmysmith // Aug 18, 2015 at 1:25 PM

Two matches in isn’t too early to make a judgement or draw a conclusion. Heres one. Sunderland are doomed!

• 119 LGFUAD21 // Aug 18, 2015 at 1:27 PM

We need to be patient with Armstrong.

People forget how young he is.

Give him a season in league1 then a season in the championship then maybe another season in the championship or to a lower level prem team.

That’s 3 years development before he hits our first team at the age of 22/23?

People are too quick to rush players to first team but there a reason Premier League clubs sign players at 23+ generally for first team action so why do English players needs to develop faster than their foreign counterparts?

Of our best strikers in recent years:

Ba wasnt playing top tier until 23
    Cisse wasnt until he was 24/25

Shearer didnt start scoring until 21 at Southampton and even then wasnt truly prolific (by what we demand)

Remy didnt have his first full season in the top flight until the age of 21

Armstrong has time so lets let him develop and not expect anything from him until 2018. Even getting regular game time in league one as part of a team in a competitive league is better than playing in our reserves and making the odd cameo.

• 120 Our Toon // Aug 18, 2015 at 1:28 PM

Ahahaha that’s funny mate. How long before Dick gets the chop and they bring a new man in who’ll no doubt save them.

• 121 JAMSHA // Aug 18, 2015 at 1:28 PM

gufo is decent ..good for backup

• 122 Bobbybee // Aug 18, 2015 at 1:32 PM

Our toon, what makes you think that the protests made that much difference? Hear me out. Ashley is not my favourite person, as you can tell by my reference to him being a knacker, but in reality he did say he had a five year plan to stabilise the club financially. That five years wasn’t when he first arrived, I believe it was 2009 (?) when he made that statement. According to him, he’s done that now and that’s why he changed tack. As you rightly say, we are an advertisement for, whether we like it or not – just as Arsenal are for Emirates, city etc. That’s modern football I’m afraid. Look how the PL treat us? Or Sky, I should add. Bournemouth, changed from 3 oclock to 12.45. That’s not for our benefit, it’s for sky. They run it now and we don’t matter to them. Or why would they make it so difficult to follow our team on such a monumental trek? Football isn’t what I grew up with anymore. It’s evolving all the time and not, I hasten to add, always for the better. Is it better than 10k crowds at SJP? You bet it is. Is it better than when fans went to games EXPECTING a ruck? Of course it is; you can go with the whole family now. Is the atmosphere better? Nowhere near sadly. I’d love to see safe standing in a designated singing section to whip up the atmosphere. Not for me, I can’t stand for 90 mins with my knackered legs, but for those I know would love it and to increase the atmosphere. How many who don’t go watch some sort of derivative of Sky? How much of that goes into Ashley’s pocket? More than what ST holders contribute, that’s for sure. The more money dominates football, the more greedy owners will be attracted. We’re far from being unique mate, this is happening nationwide.

• 123 jayphoto // Aug 18, 2015 at 1:33 PM

Sunderland are proper doomed.
    Surprised Advocaat took it on for a season. He could have left as a folklore legend and surely it was obvious to most that over the course of a season they are going to be found wanted. At his age I would have avoided the season of stress. Odd appointment aswell because Sunderland need someone to put the long term work in over 3,4,5 seasons. Advocaat is 68 next month….its hardly an age to be the long term solution. He’s only done more than 2 seasons at a club a couple of times in his whole career

• 124 Ibizatoon // Aug 18, 2015 at 1:36 PM

BandB…We’ve been through this before. An optimistic opinion, even an early one, is simply being a good fan.

You’ve been told. If football makes you so miserable…just do something else!

All seems perfectly reasonable when it’s put that way, don’t you think?

So, Man U next. It’s just got to be a NUFC win. At least 4 goals for the Toon!

• 125 BandB // Aug 18, 2015 at 1:40 PM

People had a right to protest if they wished and not to protest if they wished. No scabs. No traitors.
    Protests came not just from the dirty stop-aways. Some of the loudest dissent came from the travelling support.
    The idea that Ashley just laughs in the face of the fans and can’t be touched died the day he employed a crisis management consultant.
    I don’t understand why people should want to CHOOSE to believe they are powerless.

• 126 BandB // Aug 18, 2015 at 1:42 PM

I think we could beat Man Utd Ibiza.

• 127 terencelim // Aug 18, 2015 at 1:43 PM

@Munster Mag, because you failed to look at the bigger picture.

• 128 Bobbybee // Aug 18, 2015 at 1:43 PM

BandB, please, let it go. It was an opinion, not a statement. I do not make statements, for fear of sods law – it always comes back to bite you. 🙂 If you read it again, you will see at the bottom, ‘this is just one man’s opinion’. Let me rephrase it so nobody need get upset. I’ll reverse it and start with: in my humble opinion, we have enough to be safe and it is too early to be making sweeping statements such as ‘we’re doomed to relegation’. Is that better? I’m neither right or wrong, I’m simply expressing an opinion. No need to fall out over it. 🙂

• 129 Ibizatoon // Aug 18, 2015 at 1:45 PM

I do seem to recall a pretty speedy club statement on their dealings with SD too, after the channel 4 doc last season.

To say Ashley doesn’t care is surely a dead argument these days.

People always have power, it’s just whether they want to or choose to use it.

• 130 BandB // Aug 18, 2015 at 1:45 PM

I haven’t fallen out with you. I am debating politely. But I respect your wishes.

• 131 Mag52 // Aug 18, 2015 at 1:48 PM

He’s OURS.Quite right Bobbybee, and we have every right to be proud of a young player who seems to have talent to burn.
    How long he remains ours though is a different question, once he gets an agent who sees the chance to make a bob or two, and always bearing in mind he has a club owner who’s not averse to turning a quick profit when the opportunity arises.
    Once he breaks into the first team as a regular, I’ll, sadly, give him two years maximum as a NUFC player, as one of OURS.

• 132 Ibizatoon // Aug 18, 2015 at 1:49 PM

Bobby Bee…I’ve not read the whole exchange, but if I may (even if I may not I’m jumping in…with 2 feet)…I don’t believe BandB was raising the issue of you not being allowed to have an opinion.

“It’s far too early to be making judgement yet. Two games into a season?” Followed by your own view on what you think might happen. It comes across a bit it’s far too early to be writing off the clubs work, so stop being negative about it.

I think the point stands it is early in the season and that everyone is entitled to their opinion. I would have thought that goes without saying mind.

BandB…Come on, “could”? Steve and Obertan back to haunt their old club. It’s written in the stars, albeit a few seasons late.

• 133 Our Toon // Aug 18, 2015 at 1:49 PM

What sky have in common with nufc and all the other companies you’ve mentioned is that they are nothing without there customer base. Ashley came on TV and didn’t say the 5 year plan has now come to an end and things will be different, he basically admitted that for 5 years we’ve had zero ambition.

Don’t forget January 2014 NUFC released a statement on behalf of MA saying he will not entertain any offers for the club until the end of the 2015/16 season. A club with disinterested supporters or supporters who are boycotting has a detrimental affect on both NUFC and Sports Direct. SD has shareholders to answer and being associated to a club or another business that has unhappy punters is not good for business nor is it going weald much money when it’s put on the market. If it was just about Ashley he wouldn’t give a toss about boycotts but it’s about more than that for him, SD, future value of club, revenue generated off field, affect on other partners etc etc.

Like all good businessmen MA has given NUFC a rebranding, I’ve said it before but it should read NUFC now under new management….but in reality when you look into it in more detail it becomes apparent that the face lift or rebranding is only at face value. Behind the scenes it’s still the penny pinching methods and signings of ND contract etc. The transfer fees have gone up slightly but so has tv revenue considerably.

• 134 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Aug 18, 2015 at 1:49 PM

Typical Newcastle Ashley finally opens the cheque book and the scouting and management then sign players that we dont need and neglect the key areas that need serious business !!

• 135 Ron Knee // Aug 18, 2015 at 1:54 PM

Irony is never far away from NUFC.

• 136 Jib // Aug 18, 2015 at 1:54 PM

Mbemba wasn’t playing top tier until 20 21 23 25
    Ha ha ha

• 137 DaraghL // Aug 18, 2015 at 1:56 PM

Am I missing something here?

Cabella is left footed and can take free kicks (Mainly the crosses between keeper and defence which Wijnaldum has struggled with). This is a huge priority. He is a better player than Obertan who most of you have stated isn’t good enough, yet most people are stating this is not an area that requires strenghtening?

While I agree we still require strength in defence, that does not mean it is the only area required.

Also, before anyone says it I’m well aware of Aarons ability but he is only a kid and has been prone to injury. We need a first teamer for Left Mid.

• 138 Clarke_M // Aug 18, 2015 at 1:59 PM

my line up for Man U would surely be:

We are defensive, and have enough height in the back if Fellani doesnt play, however we will also be quick on the break.. Colo doesnt need to use his speed (lack of) as he will be sweeper and will use his reading of the game more in that position. But knowing Newcastle, Obertan will probably start again.

• 139 LGFUAD21 // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:01 PM

Reality is that with Thauvin. Our spend will be £60m. That’s a hell of a lot that I think if it flops could make matters worse. Not only are we then having to rebuild our finances back up because the cash reserve will have gone. We’ll also have a sub par squad.

Thauvin can play either flank. So it ties in with the subtle things Mcclaren has said. He wants to build around sissoko and thinks he’s best central.

Despite people going on about the big TV deal. It’s not as clear cut as suddenly we have money. We can see in the fees for players this year that it has inflated money (sterling at £50m, benteke at £34, even wijnaldum at £15m. That’s more than you would’ve expected last year.)

• 140 Our Toon // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:02 PM

Cabella is left footed? No wonder he looked shite last season, carver and pardew asking hin to use his right foot the tools. Quick still time to pass the info onto the club before Toe-van joins.

All joking aside I agree he’s needed, we desperately need a deadball specialist. At the minute it’s Jack and Wij….They love hitting the 1st man

• 141 hibbit // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:03 PM

mr tuff sorry mate but its you thats behind the minute mr carr joined the football board his remit changed he is now 1 of a 3 man panel in control of signings carr charnley moncur

• 142 Jib // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:04 PM

Sissoko may not be fit

• 143 DaraghL // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:05 PM

Our Toon –

Apologies I was referring to Thauvin!!!

• 144 The Newcastle Armchair // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:05 PM

Cabella is right footed.

• 145 Bobbybee // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:07 PM

BandB, I have no gripe with the boycotters, unless they accuse me of being the problem. I’m a football fan ffs, not a politician. If I ever reach the stage where I’m no longer happy with my club, I’ll walk away. All I care about is the lads in the b&w shirts, not what’s happening in the boardroom. If you had accumulated the wealth Ashley has, would you let somebody else tell you how to spend it? If I owned the toon I’d run it my way. I’d want us to be the best in the land, second to none, but I’m a diehard fan, not a businessman. When I started to follow the lads in the sixties, do you think I thought: mmm, now there’s a team. I also love the way that Westwood the pirate strips the clubs assets on a yearly basis’. I never gave the owner a second thought. Now again, this is just an opinion, but I think we’ve turned a corner. Whey hey! I might be wrong, but the evidence is positive. It will take a while for my dislike of Ashley to dissipate, but if he continues his current level of investment over a period of time, I might even find it in my heart to forgive and forget – just not yet eh? I actually went to a few protests, but the numbers were dismal frankly. Pathetic might cover it better. It appears those willing to shout on blogs can’t even be bothered to turn up, despite plenty of forewarning. Anybody who wishes to boycott has my full
    blessing, I just don’t believe it has any effect – again, my opinion, nothing more.

• 146 Ian Toon // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:16 PM

Bobbybee- I don’t want to get into the whole “Ashley thing” as I just see it as potentially being divisive. Neither do I want to get into the fan/ supporter : watching on TV etc. On opinions clearly someone who watches as a supporter is better able to assess the qualities of an individual player, formations , tactics etc or managers/ coaches/ scouts would not have to be bother about travelling to a Stadium as they could simply watch it on TV etc. Hence I welcome your football related opinions as someone of obvious experience of following the toon.

Incidentally, from my experience don’t get sidelined into silly debates on such issues as opinions: judgement. In my opinion, your judgement of Armstrong is based upon having watched him on a number of ocassions and judging him to be a future PL star. It is also your opinion. In my opinion some opinions are worth more than others – Carr’s judgment having carried out his scouting of a player, is also a definitive view. You get every Tom, Dick and Harry stating an opinion most of whom haven’t seen him play. Likewise with players we’ve been linked with – still hoping that Macca’s comment about a signing that nobody has linked us with has legs.

• 147 Bobbybee // Aug 18, 2015 at 2:28 PM

Our toon. On sunday, nearly 50k people turned up to support the toon, which considering it was bang in the middle of a holiday, when so many are still abroad, surprised me to be honest. I know you believe the boycotters are making a difference, but come on, 50k first game? I know you’ll say 50k people were wrong, but at least consider the option that maybe you’re wrong? Most fans are just that – fans. We don’t allow one man to spoil what we’ve done all our lives, we just want to watch football. Sometimes it’s proper shyte and we all mutter away, but sometimes it’s exhilarating and it’s those days – to me at least – that make following the toon enjoyable. Politics ? Schmollitics? Not really bothered. I pay my money to be entertained in the greatest game ever invented – EVER. Football’s my life mate. It’s what keeps me going when I’m in so much pain I could cry like a baby. I can never envisage the day that ONE MAN could ever prevent my enjoyment. Football is big money now and it will attract the greedy individual, but I personally won’t let that bother me. If we got demoted to the Conference – or whatever sponser it currently has – I’d still be there rattling around SJP supporting the lads. That’s my view on it mate, right or wrong, I don’t really care.

• 148 Munster Mag // Aug 18, 2015 at 4:35 PM

LGFUAD, Sissoko central….i dont think he has the passing ability or tackling abaility to be honest. I guess if we play 5 across the middle her can play middle right. Steve certainly likes him. He sounded all sexed up when he said what a big unit Sissoko is ! 🙂

previous post: Top Newcastle Signing One Year On