Newcastle To Move On From Swansea Hammering

After the game on Saturday at the Liberty Stadium, it was disappointing to come away with a 2-0 defeat, but in truth we were very lucky to get away with that scoreline.

It could (should?) have been a  much bigger defeat after Daryl Janmaat was sent off after 41 minutes for two yellows cards for fouls against the star of the game – Ecuadorian left-winger Jefferson Montero.

Daryl Janmaat fouls Jefferson Montero+Swansea+City+v+Newcastle+United+vyJRN-3o43Bl

Daryl Janmaat chops down Montero – again

The game was too much like the games we had under John Carver, where the players seemed frustrated and undisciplined (and outplayed), and at least Daryl Janmaat on Saturday lost his head and once we were down to 10 men the game was essentially over.

And the other big negative on Saturday was that Moussa Sissoko had to come off at half time with a groin injury, and we are yet to know just how bad that injury is.

Moussa has looked very good in pre-season.

Steven Taylor came on in the second half and Chancel Mbemba, who was our Man of the Match,  went to right back – and that could well be what happens when we play at Old Trafford on Saturday, in the early kick-off game.

This is what Steven has said today:

“We are trying hard to get our first win of the season and there is no shortage of confidence from the players.”

“We went to Swansea believing we could win the game and had a game plan to do it but unfortunately Swansea played better than us – we have to accept that and take it on the chin.”

“All we can do is move on and we have a massive week ahead of us, it is important we get down to the training ground, get grafting and look forward to the Manchester United game.”

“Old Trafford is a great place to play and hopefully it can inspire us to do something pretty special.”

It was the proverbial bad day at the office for Newcastle and before Daryl was sent off we did look like we were getting back into the game.

What Newcastle must show now is a lot more fortitude at Old Trafford on Saturday, and we’ll see if we can compete – which we didn’t do at the Liberty Stadium last Saturday.

Swansea were just too good for us.

What do you think?

• Munster Mag

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:21 AM

Re Carr choices , why can we always say that its Ashleys fault ?? How many gem signings has he made that have been brilliant for us or have seriously jumped in value? Of course, the coaching and Ashleys budget comes into this too, but why is Carr blameless? Why is it that ” In Carr we trust ” . Because of Cabaye ? Tiote ? Who’s fault s it that Cabella looks like a failiure. Pardews?? Santon was a bad buy – terrible defender. Mbiwa wasnt suitable to english football. I just think we have invested far too much faith in Carr. Maybe I’m being harsh because the club has problems all over, but he is help us as a gem at the club and i am no longer certain why ???

• Bobbybee

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:25 AM

It’s far too early to be making judgement yet. Two games into a season? Nothing will happen overnight, it’s going to take time. Unless anybody truly believes we’ll finish ahead of Chelsea, or that Liecester will stay top? The window’s still open and nobody knows what that holds yet. It might take a good few games yet for things to settle down, or we might discover we will get relegated, but either way, nobody knows from just two games where we’ll finish. I believe we have the quality to be comfortable this season, then push on next – but that’s just one man’s opinion. 🙂

• firebug666

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:33 AM

Munster Mag

I’m not saying he is blameless, nor a great scout, But that he has a very difficult job.

I would think that being on the board (a mistake imo) would allow him to think bigger and better players, and maybe to an extent that has happened, but he is still restricted.

You are right when you say the club has problems all over, for me Charnley is totally out of his depth as MD, Carr and McClaren should not be on the board of directors (penny pinching to save employing proper directors) and even with a few new faces nothing seems to have changed on the pitch, as a collective they should all be gotten rid of. As individuals they are all useless, and as a collective they are a disaster.

But then this is NUFC after all.

• nufc 11

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:34 AM

Would def agree, Carr should be blamed, Lascelles looks no where ready for the 1st team. Boyatta at city went to Celtic for 1.5million never even came into nufc thinking, you can bet carr was consultated in Colos new deal too why he got it I will never understand, Austin seems a no brainer not happening bcoz of 3 million difference in valuation? 12 million for the new HBA (I mean train wreck, Thauvin) Is he one of the right ones that super Mac keeps talking up, Willo still at the club, Taylor still at the club why havent they been moved on? too busy or not trying to sign austin is it? Buying from abroad doesnt always work home grown players are availible Philips, Austin, Dawson, you can just hear them saying wel wait until Jan window and then the usual aftermat.

• hibbit

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:34 AM

bobby the back 4 is still a big problem no rb cover no first team lb cb’s who cannot defend dead ball situations next 2weeks could define the season who comes in who goes out

• BandB

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:35 AM

Bobbybee,

Judgements that we may finish down the table again are just that….judgements.
    Just like your judgement (also made after just two games) that we have the quality to be comfortable this season is a judgement.
    Can you explain the difference that warrants you making this same point over and over again?

• gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola)

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:37 AM

Two issues need to be taken first BEFORE we can even look like we are playing…

1. Pace and crossing
    (as Cisse and Mitro are not do it all themselves shearer type of players but finishers for me and put that ball near Mitro’s head he will score)
    2. Defence.

None of them are touched truth be told.

• Munster Mag

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:40 AM

Bobby, I was more optimistic before Swansea. I expected to lose by two goals but wanted to see more from the team. Instead we saw the same old crap. It doesnt augur well for Steve if he cant get guys like Cisse and Sissoko and Janmaat to perform. If he cant motivate then early in his reign, when will he ? It was a poor decision to commit so strongly to Colo, and not ensure that funds were spent on a decent centre back. There seems to have been no instant impact from Steve , just an improvement in style and training , apart from possibly Wijnaldom who is a class act. In other words, if we had lost 4-2 to Swansea, with motivated players i would have been happy. Even Pardew managed 4-4 against Arsenal and 3-1 home to Liverpool I think ? The bollock.

• gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola)

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:41 AM

In serious defence of Carr,

sorry to say we HAVE been linked with great players but we don’t think their evaluation is fair. And if we wanted to get Austin we should have. What is 2-3 million more for a player if we want him, same goes for Ayew, Aaubayang, Gomis, whoever else there was.

All should have been here and we would be of better quality lets not kid here.

• gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola)

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:42 AM

Munster Mag

“Bobby, I was more optimistic before Swansea. I expected to lose by two goals but wanted to see more from the team. Instead we saw the same old crap.”

And THAT was the issue, I saw the game too it was horrific. I would rather lose 4:1 and play well in the game and we where not even close could have been 4:0 easy.

• Magpie Season

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:43 AM

I really don’t like the Thauvin/Cabella exchange deal that is supposed to happen. Another case where we have not given players with lots of potential (& resale value) a chance.

Looking at Thauvin, he looks the same frail/fragile type as does Cabella. Also, Cabella had a far, far better season in Ligue 1 than Thauvin did, which is why the former had gotten called up for the world cup squad.

A 7 mil loss & all we are left with is another “what could have been.”

• JamesToon

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:43 AM

Really hope we don’t lose Cabella, but Thauvin could give Mitrovic the service he needs

• Jib

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:44 AM

BandB
    You would appear to be saying only the neggers should be allowed to repeat their shyte over and over again ad nauseum .

• Munster Mag

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:45 AM

In Carr we trust ….well I hope that he doesnt get us more Santons, Gouffys and Cabellas . I do agree that Ashley ballsed up re penny pinching over the Swansea strikers – both the current one and the guy who went to City. Would Carr not have wanted Montero ? Would Crar not have looked at Ayew. And it not, why not ? Who are the gems he uncovered ? Wasnt Cabaye in the french team? Is Tiote ( early days ) his only unknown gem? Am in a grumpy mood today guys so allow me some slack!

• gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola)

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:46 AM

Cabella I actually think needs time. I have no idea where is this decision coming from it ain’t a good one.

I don’t care about Thauvin, Cabella was not bad at all has potential had some great moves against Manure too.

• Offkey

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:49 AM

To be fair, I quite like haidara but would prefer Santon on the left at this point in time……also I would prefer Santon on the right instead of mbemba or animal in the next game……..that’s what penny pinching in January gets you…….along with a long, hard second half of the season.

• Offkey

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:50 AM

Ffs, auto correct, animal = anita

• Magpie Season

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:50 AM

JamesToon,

And Cabella would not have?

Cabella in his last season for Montepellier:

14 goals, 5 assists

Thuavin last season for Marseilles:

5 goals, 4 assists.

They are so much alike in many ways but I think 1 difference is Cabella is an entertainer, tries to innovate on the pitch. I would be very upset to see him leave.

• bettyswallocks

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:51 AM

Bobby……… From previous thread. It does appear that Arma is an instinctive goal scorer . Apparently Tony Mowbray was quoted as saying that his goal scoring had been coached out of him.

Obviously he’s not a hold up target man , and he does appear to have a quick footballing brain. Maybe when the team is structured to accommodate such a player we will see the best of him.
    I think your judgement might be spot on though.

• Magpie Season

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:52 AM

Offkey,

lol who is animal?

• Transfer Sage

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:53 AM

Munster

I agree on Carr, I thought he was a good scout hampered by a tight budget but it seems that his bigger signings haven’t cut it.

I don’t think he is bad not amazing, just a standard scout, tons of players coming to the league end up “failures” in many people’s eyes.

I think that the main problem is where he buys from, the Dutch and French leagues, both are fairly weak compared to the top few leagues in Europe so it must be hard to judge if a player can cut it.

What he needs is more support to scout other areas of he hasn’t got that or if he already has this available he needs to listen to the scouts and spend some time in Spain/Germany following up on links.

It may well be we look at those leagues as they have the best chance of a big profit but it could be that is the only place he is comfortable and has connections

• Offkey

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:53 AM

Betty – can’t believe that Mowbray said arma had been pardewed

• BandB

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:55 AM

Jib

Not at all.
    I am saying that following the sentence “it’s too early to judge” with a judgement is an odd argument.
    I don’t begrudge anyone their upbeat assessment. I wasn’t suggesting it was too early for an alternative opinion to be invalid, but not my own.
    The upbeat Bobbybee was.

• Offkey

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:56 AM

Magpie – just got a tablet with autocorrect, I didn’the know it could be such annoyance until now

• Transfer Sage

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:57 AM

Munster

We seem to avoid free transfers, maybe it’s because they ask for higher wages and we won’t give them in case other players start complaining.

it seems every time we are linked with a player who becomes a free agent we drop interest. There was a lot of paper talk on players like gomis and ayew

• Our Toon

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:00 AM

Munster

I hope we do get more Gouffran’s in terms of end product to value for money. We paid 1.5m for Gouffran which is a bargain considering the amount of goals he’s scored in his time here. He isn’t good enough but last season he did more than Cabella who cost a heck of alot more.

No matter who is signed the transfer is a risk, Lovren excellent at Southampton dud at Liverpool, Enrique, Carroll etc etc. Any transfer is a risk

• Our Toon

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:01 AM

Cabella was bought for 7m plus add ons which apparently take it to 12m, keeping him here and him failing could mean we pay a further 5m for a dud. He’s shown absolutely nothing to say he’d be a success here

• Jib

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:04 AM

Too early to judge followed by an opinion outside of judgemental factors occurs all the time not just on footy blogs

• Magpie Myles

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:04 AM

It’s a shame to see Cabella go, but i hope Thauvin can do a job. I don’t know a lot about him but i hear he has some quite good pace and vision?
    I really don’t understand why we haven’t looked at Nathan Redmond? That kid has pace, skill and can score goals.

• Bobbybee

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:05 AM

I think if you check what I’ve written, I actually say ‘that’s just one man’s opinion.’ Or am I not allowed that opinion? Is this some sort of ‘negative nazi’ blog where having an opinion that doesn’t agree with doom and gloom ad nauseum bloggers isn’t allowed? Go F@ck yourselves frankly. That’s my opinion and until I hear I’m officially forbidden from that opinion – which I wouldn’t hold your breath for – I’ll continue to express my opinions. I’m a naturally positive person and if you don’t like that, don’t fricking read my posts in future. Oh no, somebody thinks I’m too positive, I better cut my own throat to appease them. That’s really gonna happen. If football made me into such a bitter, twisted negative f#ck as it does some of you, I’d take up a different sport to be honest. If you want to stay stuck in the past, whining and crying over every little possible thing, then fine, knock yourself out, but I won’t be joining you anytime soon. Come on Newcastle United!!!!

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:06 AM

Bobbybee,
    Always with the drama. Leicester winning the league?

• Ron Knee

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:06 AM

Sparky
    I’m already trying to weigh up the three teams worse than us!

• martoon

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:06 AM

BandB@23 – I would say Bobbybee was giving his opinion – there is subtle difference between an opinion and a judgement!

• Transfer Sage

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:08 AM

Our toon

Exactly. The lad has had a few good moments in games but I’d never have said he had a good game (an 8/10 performance). He’s like a poor version of ben Arfa and they didn’t entertain him.

if McClaren is happy for him to go (can’t say if he is or not) then it would be pointless hanging on as he isn’t in the plans.

If the reason we are letting him go is to potentially save on the 5mil add ons and that decision was made above McClaren who wanted to give him more time it’s poor.

But we will never know and from what I’ve seen ive been far from impressed (even though we used him as a winger and I’ve seen him at his best in the champions league through the middle).

• hibbit

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:08 AM

bobby who’s that rant at ??

• Our Toon

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:09 AM

Nufc 11

I’d have taken a punt on Boyata for 1.5m, Phillips of QPR doesn’t fill me with excitement at all, he scored a wonder goal last season but other than that he’s a poor man’s obertan. Austin doesn’t offer value for money, we don’t seem to be the only ones who think that’s the case, the whole premier league doesn’t want him at that price. Probably says more about his ability without Zamora and being poor at playing upfront on his own. Michael Dawson is shite, he’s 32 years old and will be 33 in November no thanks.

Tim Sherwood recently said that the British market doesn’t offer value for money and even he’s looking abroad. Perfect example being Payet of West ham, contributed to 84 goals either in assists or scored in 2 years bought for 14.5m (Carr wanted him) Downing cost 20m

Suarez cost 25m, Carrol cost 35m, Sterling cost 45m and Sanchez cost 32m

• Transfer Sage

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:10 AM

Ron knee

I think we are safe with sunderland, Watford and Bournemouth in the league. Sunderland have nothing going forward at all and equally as poor as us at the back.

It’s a shame that North East football is so poor these days, only two top flight clubs and a real struggle to bring exciting players and football to the area.

• BandB

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:11 AM

Martoon,

So why is he claiming that other people are making judgments when they are just expressing opinions?

• Malta Mag

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:11 AM

Can’t understand this obsession with wanting to bring in fullbacks? Both Taylor and Anita are more than capable of playing right back and Colback and Dummett can slot in at left back? The priority for me is a centre back, centre forward and right winger in that order.
    Hate the negative bloggers on here and won’t even respond to the crap they spout especially on the new management team who I think have already made a difference. Before Jaanmat was sent off on Saturday we were getting a grip on the game against a very good Swansea team. I think Mitrovic will prove to be a colossus and hope he plays against Man U but I do hope we bring in Austin as back up and let Cisse go with a fond farewell. I also can’t believe the outpouring of regret if Cabella leaves? He’s a poor man’s Ben Arfa and never looked like a player who would cut it at this level. Bringing in Thauvin on the right and Aarons on the left makes more sense. Two genuine wingers who can get it in the box from wide areas. In the meantime let’s hope we get a good CB? The lad from Monaco is awesome but is it realistic? Not sure it will happen but someone like Johnny Evans might? Think positive for goodness sake and stop your bloody moaning!!!!

• hibbit

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:13 AM

sage bournemouth might be the dark horse they were unlucky last night play some nice footbal