French Midfielder Leaves Newcastle

News coming in that Newcastle central midfielder Mehdi Abeid has signed a one year deal for Greek club  Panathinaikos, where he spent a successful one season loan spell the season before last.

Mehdi Abeid Sheffield+United+v+Newcastle+United+HuEZYIF-5XCl

Mehdi Abeid in action at Sheffield United

We can only assume that Newcastle got the £1.5M transfer fee they wanted for the player who joined us on a free transfer four years ago from Lens.

It looked after Mehdi’s loan spell last summer that he had a chance to get his career going on Tyneside, but he just couldn’t make the vital breakthrough.

However, he did have some good games for Newcastle last season – such as when we beat Manchester City 2-0 at the  Etihad in the League Cup.

Mehdi can have a good career in Greece, especially after being one of their best players a couple of years ago when he played 38 times with 10 goals.

He was born in Montreuil, France and has played for Algeria once, with his parents being Algerian.

Mehdi also played for the French Youth sides through U18 level, before he joined Newcastle.

We wish Mehdi Abeid all the best in his future career.

• Transfer Sage

Aug 19, 2015 at 4:44 PM

Never quite cut it with us….had flashes of his form from loans spells but wasn’t enough really.

Good luck to the lad, seems to want to follow moves to better his career, hope he succeeds.

• Llort muw

Aug 19, 2015 at 4:45 PM

Llort muw
    August 19, 2015
    Team vs Man utd. (4-3-3)

—————-Krul
    Anita-Mbemba-Colo-Haidara
    ———-Gini-Colback
    ————-Perez
    Obertan-Mitrovic-Aarons

Counter attacking team, we’re never going to win the possession game at Old Trafford, so set up to counter attack with pace.

• JackButler

Aug 19, 2015 at 4:47 PM

Gutted he didn’t make it here, thought he was a good player, but best of luck to him, hope he goes on to great things

• Jib

Aug 19, 2015 at 4:49 PM

I’ve told people on here until I’m blue on the face.
    One of the ways of spotting a mackem wum is they invariably use a toon players name as a user name.(they’ll prolly stop now)
    The red and whyte shyte are in meltdown , if they screw up this season they will be doing a Portsmouth.
    So expect a lot more “hungrier than Cisse” crap in the next few weeks.
    Can you imagine how furious the unwashed are ?
    We have spent 50 million and climbing

They have sold Connor Whickham for 8million.

Ha ha ha

• Jib

Aug 19, 2015 at 4:49 PM

should that be blew on the face ha ha ha

• hibbit

Aug 19, 2015 at 4:52 PM

not one of the players i want to go….. but good luck to him with his new club

• Transfer Sage

Aug 19, 2015 at 4:53 PM

jack butler

Yeh I see what you mean with Mitovik but still think he needs a start, so we can see what he’s like.

I also agree on cisse, he isn’t great at linking play but he isn’t as bad as some make out and he has scored a good few goals for us,

Janmaat is a bigger cause for concern than me, the second booking looked to me like he as sick of his day and just took a cowards way out. I might be doing the lad a huge disservice there, it’s just how I saw it.

• Transfer Sage

Aug 19, 2015 at 4:54 PM

jib

There are even stories linking Defoe with a return to Bournemouth….they will be stuffed then as they need 15 goals from him to give them a chance of staying up.

• John Tudor

Aug 19, 2015 at 4:54 PM

bullpap jib

• toon kk

Aug 19, 2015 at 4:55 PM

Good afternoon chaps, what’s the latest transfer news? Or is it another limbo day.
    Its a shame that quite a lot aren’t blown away by the arrival of Thauvin, I can’t comment on him until I watch him play.
    I don’t know what to think of Mitrovic apart from he knows how to get booked. A lot of money spent but I’m not sure its been spent wisely.

• JamesToon

Aug 19, 2015 at 4:56 PM

West ham agreed fee for alex song, been saying for ages that he’d be perfect protection for our defence and offers a creative outlet from deep midfield

• Ibizatoon

Aug 19, 2015 at 4:56 PM

Jib…Blue or blew, I think it should be “in the face” rather than “on”.

Don’t worry about thanking me, you are, as usual, more than welcome.

Mackem Wums are neither here not there, it’s the Geordie ones I worry about. Strange thing to do.

• hibbit

Aug 19, 2015 at 4:56 PM

not sure about that the only wums i know are called jeff jib and jane would you agree jeffrey

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

Aug 19, 2015 at 4:56 PM

We haven’t climbed anywhere yet.

We’re being totally ripped off for Thauvin. That money should have been use for a quality CM or CB. We need both if we are going to achieve anything. We need a Shelvey/Cabaye/Schneiderlin type desperately. Colback and Anita are nowhere near good enough when played together.

• JackButler

Aug 19, 2015 at 4:57 PM

Sage

I think Mitrovic will settle, but right now after his two cameo appearances no manager in their right mind would start him, he could have and probably should have been sent off in his first game and he needs to understand that he will now be targeted by opposition players because they know he such a hot head.

Cisse never has been and never will be good at linking the play but people need to remember that when the team has been on its knees he found the goals we need

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

Aug 19, 2015 at 4:59 PM

Song would have been a fantastic signing. Just what we need.

• Jib

Aug 19, 2015 at 5:00 PM

Thanks Ibiza
    John Tudor I hope you enjoy your tumble down the leagues , never mind theres always the bingo in the Downhill club

• JamesToon

Aug 19, 2015 at 5:00 PM

ROMA HAVE SIGNED ANTONIO RUDIGER ON A £4M LOAN WITH £9M OPTION TO BUY

• hibbit

Aug 19, 2015 at 5:01 PM

toon kk if he had arrived after a big cb i think most people would have been jumping but that’s more money gone and still a big whole at the back

• Jib

Aug 19, 2015 at 5:03 PM

You’ve got to love it
    Chelsea have Hijacked Manures bid for Pedro from Barca

• Transfer Sage

Aug 19, 2015 at 5:05 PM

Jack

Exactly….for all the complaints about cisse I can say the lad has pride in his work and club, he never gives in and even when not looking great will work his socks off for the goals to keep us up.

Obviously I’d like to see Mitrovik tried from the start, like I said he might be calmer and he needs a start at sme point, but again we won’t know until he does start if he can settle better. Cisse would be more than handy on the bench.

I’d have liked to see us move for some players proven in the league, especially a CB, even if it is somebody who’s 30-32 who will give us 2/3 season to help us build the team around.

I’m sick of all the players having to be young so they have value, we need some experienced heads in the squad who can give the younger lads a lot more time to gel and learn.

He might not be the best but I’d take lescott for the season, or sylvain distin before he moved to bournemouth,….think somebody like that would do much more than colo and could allow mbemba to settle whilst we look around europe for a quality partner to him.

• Jib

Aug 19, 2015 at 5:05 PM

James Toon you do know that Roma sold Alessio Romagnoli to Milan for 28 million ? They have money to burn on defenders

• JamesToon

Aug 19, 2015 at 5:06 PM

Jib

I know that!

• JamesToon

Aug 19, 2015 at 5:10 PM

If we top off thauvin signing with buying either VVD or Abdennour, it will have been a very successful window, if we get a left back in either Willems or Guerreiro i will be in dreamland lol

• toon kk

Aug 19, 2015 at 5:12 PM

Hibbit
    I think your right, we can all see our major weaknesses but the club for whatever reason have decided to overlook the problem.
    There’s still a strict regime at the club, MA isn’t on the board but his buy to sell structure is still in place, that’s a massive gamble imo.

• JackButler

Aug 19, 2015 at 5:13 PM

Sage

Always liked Cisse and always tried to stand up for the lad ( not that he needs me to hahaha).

I think Mitoprovic needs time that’s all, he’ll come good but he’s too hot headed right now and will be targeted and because of that he’s a red card waiting to happen.

It’s come to the point when the club have to cut their loses and take a hit on the deadwood at the club, the likes of Willo, Saylor, Rivière etc etc etc should be shipped out even if it’s at a loss to make way for players that are going to play and improve us. I was astounded and disgusted that Colo was given a new deal and retained the armband as his action both on and off the field have been disgusting the past twelve months or so.

And I stand by an earlier statement that if we fail to further improve the defence the window will have been a failure in my eyes, we can put all the bells and whistles on we want, but the basic fact is that we concede for fun and it’s not been addressed yet

• Mister Tuff

Aug 19, 2015 at 5:13 PM

Sunderland have some poor players -to name but a few:-
    Adam Jib Johnson
    John Jib O’Shea
    Lee Jib Cattermole.

• matt11_25

Aug 19, 2015 at 5:14 PM

Forgot the name of the person who mentioned Janmatt’s booking, I don’t think he was copping out or anything. I think the second booking was actually quite shocking. Yeah, he meant to foul him but there were 2 or 3 other black n whites in front of the swan within 10 yards. Not a yellow.

• GeordieTwo

Aug 19, 2015 at 5:14 PM

Well, I’ve pulled on my Thong of Strained Credibility today lads. So we are going to continue on with a horrible defense again this year? Depay will tear us a new one on the weekend. Ridiculous!!!

• John Tudor

Aug 19, 2015 at 5:16 PM

jib you are without doubt the biggest knacker on here now foff to plains farm yer inbred

• hibbit

Aug 19, 2015 at 5:16 PM

i asked the question earlier today……… do you think Mc gets the players he wants or the players he is given

• GeordieTwo

Aug 19, 2015 at 5:18 PM

Oh and another thing. We are not northern softies Mickey Quinn!!! We are northern pillocks who put up with the likes of Ashley and Co. There’s a big difference there Mickey! Harrumph…..

• JackButler

Aug 19, 2015 at 5:18 PM

Hibbit

He’s just one voice on the “Commitee” so if he’s out voted he gets what he’s give

• will die for the toon army

Aug 19, 2015 at 5:19 PM

All I need to see from our players is enthusiasm. Falling into tackles running tirelessly. I haven’t yet seen that it looks like we r playing slick football. I want to see some warriors on pitch. No nonsense players.

• Jamseyd24

Aug 19, 2015 at 5:20 PM

Cant say im to excited about this signing. Really could have used that money else where. Very strange signing.

• Transfer Sage

Aug 19, 2015 at 5:21 PM

jack

definitely….the defence was a priority really, it needed a total over hall where as other areas needed additions.

Without a solid and capable defence you ten need your forwards to be scoring 2/3 goals a game to only secure a point, you cannot sustain that which is why the teams at the top usually have a good defence and go through patches of winning 1-0.

We must ship out the poor players and replace then, I can accept that as a gradual progression, not all instantly, but we need another CB to replace willo right now.

Colo has annoyed me too, saying he wants to move, heading home whenever he can and not really putting the effort in on the pitch…..why on earth the club didn’t at best give him 4/5 months to prove himself for the new manager before giving him a new deal is beyond me, he never even played in pre season so he could have been crocked.

• will die for the toon army

Aug 19, 2015 at 5:22 PM

hibbit

I think if he is on the board. he is getting wat he wants.

• hibbit

Aug 19, 2015 at 5:23 PM

will die for ….which game did you see the slick football

• GeordieTwo

Aug 19, 2015 at 5:23 PM

The new Fongbat Model 2016 is a thing of beauty. Some trial versions are out now. Extra long handle with SureTouch Grip for that big swing. Light weight but carries a huge payoff. Perfect for fonging the likes of Ashley, Charnley, etc. etc. Get your orders in now lads….

• Jib

Aug 19, 2015 at 5:24 PM

John Tudor
    You have to be a Mackem !!!
    Plains Farm ffs
    I had to go to Google maps to find that shithole I’d never hoid of it