The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

French Midfielder Leaves Newcastle

4:42 pm, Wednesday, August 19th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 152 Comments

News coming in that Newcastle central midfielder Mehdi Abeid has signed a one year deal for Greek club  Panathinaikos, where he spent a successful one season loan spell the season before last.

Mehdi Abeid Sheffield+United+v+Newcastle+United+HuEZYIF-5XCl

Mehdi Abeid in action at Sheffield United

We can only assume that Newcastle got the £1.5M transfer fee they wanted for the player who joined us on a free transfer four years ago from Lens.

It looked after Mehdi’s loan spell last summer that he had a chance to get his career going on Tyneside, but he just couldn’t make the vital breakthrough.

However, he did have some good games for Newcastle last season – such as when we beat Manchester City 2-0 at the  Etihad in the League Cup.

Mehdi can have a good career in Greece, especially after being one of their best players a couple of years ago when he played 38 times with 10 goals.

He was born in Montreuil, France and has played for Algeria once, with his parents being Algerian.

Mehdi also played for the French Youth sides through U18 level, before he joined Newcastle.

We wish Mehdi Abeid all the best in his future career.

Tags: Contracts · Mehdi Abeid · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

152 responses so far ↓

• 1 Transfer Sage // Aug 19, 2015 at 4:44 PM

Never quite cut it with us….had flashes of his form from loans spells but wasn’t enough really.

Good luck to the lad, seems to want to follow moves to better his career, hope he succeeds.

• 2 Llort muw // Aug 19, 2015 at 4:45 PM

Llort muw
    August 19, 2015
    Team vs Man utd. (4-3-3)

Counter attacking team, we’re never going to win the possession game at Old Trafford, so set up to counter attack with pace.

• 3 JackButler // Aug 19, 2015 at 4:47 PM

Gutted he didn’t make it here, thought he was a good player, but best of luck to him, hope he goes on to great things

• 4 Jib // Aug 19, 2015 at 4:49 PM

I’ve told people on here until I’m blue on the face.
    One of the ways of spotting a mackem wum is they invariably use a toon players name as a user name.(they’ll prolly stop now)
    The red and whyte shyte are in meltdown , if they screw up this season they will be doing a Portsmouth.
    So expect a lot more “hungrier than Cisse” crap in the next few weeks.
    Can you imagine how furious the unwashed are ?
    We have spent 50 million and climbing

They have sold Connor Whickham for 8million.

Ha ha ha

• 5 Jib // Aug 19, 2015 at 4:49 PM

should that be blew on the face ha ha ha

• 6 hibbit // Aug 19, 2015 at 4:52 PM

not one of the players i want to go….. but good luck to him with his new club

• 7 Transfer Sage // Aug 19, 2015 at 4:53 PM

jack butler

Yeh I see what you mean with Mitovik but still think he needs a start, so we can see what he’s like.

I also agree on cisse, he isn’t great at linking play but he isn’t as bad as some make out and he has scored a good few goals for us,

Janmaat is a bigger cause for concern than me, the second booking looked to me like he as sick of his day and just took a cowards way out. I might be doing the lad a huge disservice there, it’s just how I saw it.

• 8 Transfer Sage // Aug 19, 2015 at 4:54 PM

There are even stories linking Defoe with a return to Bournemouth….they will be stuffed then as they need 15 goals from him to give them a chance of staying up.

• 9 John Tudor // Aug 19, 2015 at 4:54 PM

bullpap jib

• 10 toon kk // Aug 19, 2015 at 4:55 PM

Good afternoon chaps, what’s the latest transfer news? Or is it another limbo day.
    Its a shame that quite a lot aren’t blown away by the arrival of Thauvin, I can’t comment on him until I watch him play.
    I don’t know what to think of Mitrovic apart from he knows how to get booked. A lot of money spent but I’m not sure its been spent wisely.

• 11 JamesToon // Aug 19, 2015 at 4:56 PM

West ham agreed fee for alex song, been saying for ages that he’d be perfect protection for our defence and offers a creative outlet from deep midfield

• 12 Ibizatoon // Aug 19, 2015 at 4:56 PM

Jib…Blue or blew, I think it should be “in the face” rather than “on”.

Don’t worry about thanking me, you are, as usual, more than welcome.

Mackem Wums are neither here not there, it’s the Geordie ones I worry about. Strange thing to do.

• 13 hibbit // Aug 19, 2015 at 4:56 PM

not sure about that the only wums i know are called jeff jib and jane would you agree jeffrey

• 14 Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund // Aug 19, 2015 at 4:56 PM

We haven’t climbed anywhere yet.

We’re being totally ripped off for Thauvin. That money should have been use for a quality CM or CB. We need both if we are going to achieve anything. We need a Shelvey/Cabaye/Schneiderlin type desperately. Colback and Anita are nowhere near good enough when played together.

• 15 JackButler // Aug 19, 2015 at 4:57 PM

I think Mitrovic will settle, but right now after his two cameo appearances no manager in their right mind would start him, he could have and probably should have been sent off in his first game and he needs to understand that he will now be targeted by opposition players because they know he such a hot head.

Cisse never has been and never will be good at linking the play but people need to remember that when the team has been on its knees he found the goals we need

• 16 Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund // Aug 19, 2015 at 4:59 PM

Song would have been a fantastic signing. Just what we need.

• 17 Jib // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:00 PM

Thanks Ibiza
    John Tudor I hope you enjoy your tumble down the leagues , never mind theres always the bingo in the Downhill club

• 18 JamesToon // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:00 PM

• 19 hibbit // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:01 PM

toon kk if he had arrived after a big cb i think most people would have been jumping but that’s more money gone and still a big whole at the back

• 20 Jib // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:03 PM

You’ve got to love it
    Chelsea have Hijacked Manures bid for Pedro from Barca

• 21 Transfer Sage // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:05 PM

Exactly….for all the complaints about cisse I can say the lad has pride in his work and club, he never gives in and even when not looking great will work his socks off for the goals to keep us up.

Obviously I’d like to see Mitrovik tried from the start, like I said he might be calmer and he needs a start at sme point, but again we won’t know until he does start if he can settle better. Cisse would be more than handy on the bench.

I’d have liked to see us move for some players proven in the league, especially a CB, even if it is somebody who’s 30-32 who will give us 2/3 season to help us build the team around.

I’m sick of all the players having to be young so they have value, we need some experienced heads in the squad who can give the younger lads a lot more time to gel and learn.

He might not be the best but I’d take lescott for the season, or sylvain distin before he moved to bournemouth,….think somebody like that would do much more than colo and could allow mbemba to settle whilst we look around europe for a quality partner to him.

• 22 Jib // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:05 PM

James Toon you do know that Roma sold Alessio Romagnoli to Milan for 28 million ? They have money to burn on defenders

• 23 JamesToon // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:06 PM

I know that!

• 24 JamesToon // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:10 PM

If we top off thauvin signing with buying either VVD or Abdennour, it will have been a very successful window, if we get a left back in either Willems or Guerreiro i will be in dreamland lol

• 25 toon kk // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:12 PM

I think your right, we can all see our major weaknesses but the club for whatever reason have decided to overlook the problem.
    There’s still a strict regime at the club, MA isn’t on the board but his buy to sell structure is still in place, that’s a massive gamble imo.

• 26 JackButler // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:13 PM

Always liked Cisse and always tried to stand up for the lad ( not that he needs me to hahaha).

I think Mitoprovic needs time that’s all, he’ll come good but he’s too hot headed right now and will be targeted and because of that he’s a red card waiting to happen.

It’s come to the point when the club have to cut their loses and take a hit on the deadwood at the club, the likes of Willo, Saylor, Rivière etc etc etc should be shipped out even if it’s at a loss to make way for players that are going to play and improve us. I was astounded and disgusted that Colo was given a new deal and retained the armband as his action both on and off the field have been disgusting the past twelve months or so.

And I stand by an earlier statement that if we fail to further improve the defence the window will have been a failure in my eyes, we can put all the bells and whistles on we want, but the basic fact is that we concede for fun and it’s not been addressed yet

• 27 Mister Tuff // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:13 PM

Sunderland have some poor players -to name but a few:-
    Adam Jib Johnson
    John Jib O’Shea
    Lee Jib Cattermole.

• 28 matt11_25 // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:14 PM

Forgot the name of the person who mentioned Janmatt’s booking, I don’t think he was copping out or anything. I think the second booking was actually quite shocking. Yeah, he meant to foul him but there were 2 or 3 other black n whites in front of the swan within 10 yards. Not a yellow.

• 29 GeordieTwo // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:14 PM

Well, I’ve pulled on my Thong of Strained Credibility today lads. So we are going to continue on with a horrible defense again this year? Depay will tear us a new one on the weekend. Ridiculous!!!

• 30 John Tudor // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:16 PM

jib you are without doubt the biggest knacker on here now foff to plains farm yer inbred

• 31 hibbit // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:16 PM

i asked the question earlier today……… do you think Mc gets the players he wants or the players he is given

• 32 GeordieTwo // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:18 PM

Oh and another thing. We are not northern softies Mickey Quinn!!! We are northern pillocks who put up with the likes of Ashley and Co. There’s a big difference there Mickey! Harrumph…..

• 33 JackButler // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:18 PM

He’s just one voice on the “Commitee” so if he’s out voted he gets what he’s give

• 34 will die for the toon army // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:19 PM

All I need to see from our players is enthusiasm. Falling into tackles running tirelessly. I haven’t yet seen that it looks like we r playing slick football. I want to see some warriors on pitch. No nonsense players.

• 35 Jamseyd24 // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:20 PM

Cant say im to excited about this signing. Really could have used that money else where. Very strange signing.

• 36 Transfer Sage // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:21 PM

definitely….the defence was a priority really, it needed a total over hall where as other areas needed additions.

Without a solid and capable defence you ten need your forwards to be scoring 2/3 goals a game to only secure a point, you cannot sustain that which is why the teams at the top usually have a good defence and go through patches of winning 1-0.

We must ship out the poor players and replace then, I can accept that as a gradual progression, not all instantly, but we need another CB to replace willo right now.

Colo has annoyed me too, saying he wants to move, heading home whenever he can and not really putting the effort in on the pitch…..why on earth the club didn’t at best give him 4/5 months to prove himself for the new manager before giving him a new deal is beyond me, he never even played in pre season so he could have been crocked.

• 37 will die for the toon army // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:22 PM

I think if he is on the board. he is getting wat he wants.

• 38 hibbit // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:23 PM

will die for ….which game did you see the slick football

• 39 GeordieTwo // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:23 PM

The new Fongbat Model 2016 is a thing of beauty. Some trial versions are out now. Extra long handle with SureTouch Grip for that big swing. Light weight but carries a huge payoff. Perfect for fonging the likes of Ashley, Charnley, etc. etc. Get your orders in now lads….

• 40 Jib // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:24 PM

John Tudor
    You have to be a Mackem !!!
    Plains Farm ffs
    I had to go to Google maps to find that shithole I’d never hoid of it

• 41 hibbit // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:25 PM

will die for …….what about the 3 other board members they have a vote aswell

• 42 GeordieTwo // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:27 PM

We’ve knackered ourselves again with this shoddy defense. Clubs will beat us easily as Swansea did. Mito must come good quickly, as must McLaren. Has he been out of the Prem too long? Is he good enough? Do bears poop in Ashley’s wellies? These questions need answers soon!

• 43 John Tudor // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:27 PM

keep telling yourself that and adam says your cheesey chips are going cold so he sharing them with annie if you wanna watch

• 44 will die for the toon army // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:29 PM

Then I really dont know how we play our game. its not that slick but its so sluggish sometimes no warriors. Running their hearts out.

• 45 John Tudor // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:30 PM

jib the google knacker

• 46 toonicle // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:31 PM

I think Mitro starts this weekend. Cisse went missing against Swansea and Mitro might be just what we need against their back line pressing defenders and good hold up to get Gini and the wingers in on the ball.

• 47 will die for the toon army // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:32 PM

That article has failed to open. Any help

• 48 GeordieTwo // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:34 PM

Are you lot ready for some topnotch football from wor club this season? Well don’t be. We have a few good players but at the rate we do things it would take 5 years to make a good club and by that time we’ll have sold off all the decent players we’ve just brought in and be left with dead wood. Ashley oot!!!

• 49 GeordieTwo // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:36 PM

How about Mito as a CB? He’s a big brute, dominant in the air. Much better than Colo. Just a thought…..

• 50 Mister Tuff // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:40 PM

We need warriors.
    Nay we need bwave warriors and bwave centurions.
    Nothing less for Wallys Bwave New World.

• 51 will die for the toon army // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:40 PM

I know every one has a say here. but am tired of the pessimistic fans. The Club are doing their best bringing the players you want.
    1. When the bought Wijnaldum, you say we wld have brought back Cabaye.
    2. Mitrovic came, No EPL experience wld have brought Austin.
    3. Mbemba, he is good but too short.
    4. Thauvin, we wld have stayed with Cabella money wasted.

Now wat is next? Coz I think the current regime cant get the best for u fans.

• 52 will die for the toon army // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:46 PM

the main success this season was to keep our current better players. Still fingers crossed. watever u pessimistic fans say we nee d Janmatt, Sissoko, Colbavk, Colo and Krul keeping them will b my biggest success.

Add the new signings and we leave the rest Mcca and Ian Cathro.

• 53 Llort muw // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:47 PM

Agree completely.

• 54 WWSBRD // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:47 PM

will die

• 55 Jib // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:48 PM

It opened fine for me
    I’m on a laptop
    It may be your device

• 56 Jib // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:49 PM

Sorry not Leeds
    Will die

• 57 Belfast // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:50 PM

You been eating the magic mushrooms will die ?

• 58 Belfast // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:51 PM

Any left ?

• 59 hibbit // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:51 PM

will die for ….what makes you such a expert on newcastle fans please tell me about your vast experience in the game and your insight into the board doing its best because from my seat in the stands there not

• 60 Jib // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:52 PM

Will die
    I agree with everything you say except for Sissoko , who has big gaps in his footballing armoury , plus a question mark over his application and spirit.

• 61 Llort muw // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:54 PM

He is talking about the board not getting credit for bringing in these players, it seems like no matter what they do its not good enough for us fans.

I mean, we’re actually writing off a player before he has even started and are slating the board for signing him. Unbelievable, this guy improves the squad one way or another. The board are trying.

• 62 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:55 PM

I was gonna say I read it lol

• 63 Our Toon // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:57 PM

He’s pulled him back deliberately it’s an automatic yellow card offence and Janmaat knew what he was doing. He took the cowards option meaning he won’t get exposed now against Depay

• 64 WWSBRD // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:57 PM

How does Thauvin improve the squad?

• 65 hibbit // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:58 PM

wum troll you would agree you being a mackem

• 66 will die for the toon army // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:59 PM

U have ur say amd I will respect ur comment. I think I give the new football board a chance. Will b dis appointed if we dont sign a CB though? but in Carr, Charnely, Moncur & Mcca I trust.

• 67 Jib // Aug 19, 2015 at 5:59 PM

As a matter of interest what device you on ?

• 68 Belfast // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:00 PM

I think Matt would have the opposite view if it was the Swansea right back fouling our player. 🙂

• 69 hibbit // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:01 PM

no body is writing him off what most people are saying is the money could have been better spent

• 70 Jib // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:02 PM

Pick of tonights games has to be Valencia v Monaco methinks

• 71 the ledge // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:02 PM

Will die spot on, to many experts on here give the new setup a chance ,

• 72 will die for the toon army // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:03 PM

I think he is better than all wingers we have that is an improvement. All the players we have are better than wat we had.

• 73 Llort muw // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:04 PM

Well, he cost us £13 million, you don’t pay that much for a bench player.

• 74 Jib // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:04 PM

You musn’t read all the posts
    There are loads of folk on here writing him off
    The plugs

• 75 Noel Worst // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:07 PM

and yes….

• 76 Llort muw // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:08 PM

Nope, not a ‘Mackem’. But are you suggesting that fans that want to back the new board are in fact ‘mackems’?

You response proves nothing apart from the fact that you ignored my post.

How do you know we won’t now try and sign a CB? It’s not rocket science that that is the most important position to sign. Everyone can see that we lack a commanding Centre back so what makes you doubt the proffesionals at the club? They have already spent £50 million so what’s stopping them now? I fully expect a CB to be signed because the board aren’t stupid.

• 77 will die for the toon army // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:08 PM

Abdennour aint playing. I think he is injured.

The players we have bought are better than wat we had. I bet the fans wanted to sign:
    1. Cabaye instead of Wijanldum
    2. Austin instead of Mitrovic
    3. Evans instead of Mbemba
    4. Townsend instead Thauvin.

I wld go with what Carr has signed all day long.

• 78 the ledge // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:09 PM

Wenger rates thauvin very highly so do a lot of French pundits ,had a bad year last year but he is young and only goin to get better. I for one can’t wait to see him in the black and white shirt

• 79 WWSBRD // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:10 PM

will die
    He is better than all the wingers we have? 5 goals and 4 assists in a worse league…Cabella got 14 goals and 5 assists in the same league. As for ur other sentence I have no idea what u mean

Why not we did with Cabella? Also thats starting 11 not squad which will be exactly the same

• 80 WWSBRD // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:12 PM

Then why isnt Wenger in for Thauvin?

• 81 WWSBRD // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:13 PM

Sorry meant the ledge not Llort

• 82 hibbit // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:14 PM

jib if he had come in after a quality cb most would have been happy but if he is the last buy the problems are still the same we cannot defend the dead ball we cannot close wingers down people saying the fans are never happy should look at the back4 and realise it should have been fixed first not patched up

• 83 lochinvar // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:15 PM

Thauvin – flair
    Mitrovic – deadly
    Winjaldum – craft
    Mwemba – rock solid
    Aarons – exciting

If they were in a boy band Simon Cowell would have them number one in the charts.

Bring it on !

• 84 Llort muw // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:15 PM

Cabella cost inbetween £7-12 million. He was shite and still played quite a lot of games. Thauvin may turn out terrible, but writing him off before he has played and saying its a rubbish signing when people on here have stated we need a winger is ridiculous. I just can’t agree with that, the club put there money where there mouth is for once yet there are still complaints. Who actually complains about a signing anyway.

If by the end of the window no CB is signed then yes, feel free to complain, and rightly so. But until then praise the board for actually getting signings across that usually non-existant line.

• 85 the ledge // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:16 PM

Wwsbrd and how many assists and goals did cabella have when he was 22?

• 86 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:16 PM

Any news on that CB and striker we need?

• 87 will die for the toon army // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:17 PM

Wenger is in for no one. Guy I think forgot how to buy players I think he is comfortable with wat he has.

• 88 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:18 PM

Colo is going to last 30 games so unless you want to play Willo (seing as Saylor will probably be out injured and Lascelles is not ready) then get in that CB 😉

• 89 the ledge // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:18 PM

Wwsbrd because they have Walcott chamberlin Sanchez doesnt mean he don’t rate him

• 90 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:20 PM

PC Jib

• 91 WWSBRD // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:20 PM

Cabella actually wasnt that bad though was he and he was very poorly managed

Am not writing Thauvin off but his signing doesnt excite me. As for the board I think u are far to easily impressed

• 92 will die for the toon army // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:22 PM

I dont think we need a striker? Am waiting for a CB. I think we are going to sign Abdennour it all went quite and I know NUFC is very patient with their signings. And I think Carr believes in him.

• 93 Belfast // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:22 PM

I think there where better prospects available than Thauvin to be honest. Gray from Birmingham and Redmond from Norwich for example. (Cheaper too) I hope Thauvin does well but not expecting much.

Was repeatedly told Cabella needs a season to adjust so expecting De je vau with Thauvin this season 🙂

• 94 Belfast // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:24 PM

De ja vu*

• 95 WWSBRD // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:27 PM

will die
    Lets not be silly now if Thauvin was the next big thing in French football and he was moving for pretty low sum of money Wenger would be in for him

the ledge
    Not sure and I cant be bothered to do ur googling for u squire though I feel I am being drawn into an argument around Thauvins quality when the point I am making is losing Cabella in order to get him does nothing for the squad

• 96 Ian Toon // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:28 PM

Belfast – I think it’s a question of a lack of consistency with refs . You’ll recall on Sunday in the Palace v Arse game- Coquelin not being booked for a second yellow, allowing Wenger to substitute him.

• 97 Llort muw // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:31 PM

I think you were to easily impressed with Cabella last season…

The board have signed players we didn’t think we could ever sign:

Not to mention the £50 million spent, but that’s easily impressed with this club? NUFC we are talking about. Please, that is very impressive for this club.

• 98 will die for the toon army // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:32 PM

I think for the first time. I saw NUFC policy of pound to pound work on Cabella. Dont know how much we paid for Cabella but we have been able to recap 7m for him which is a good deal for a player who played sh&t last season.

Big up to Charnely.

• 99 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:32 PM

Just watched a video clip of Thauvin.
    One thing in his favour he can score from a free kick which is what we have been crying out for

• 100 OneAlanShearer // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:35 PM

For me this our strongest players and the gaps in quality aside from those:

———-DM/playmaker – Colback
    Sissoko— Wijnaldum –thauvin

With Perez,aarons, sdj also strong options I feel the obvious gaps in defense now need addressing. I think apart from another quality centre back is all that’s needed in this window. The rest are very replaceable. Cisse I’d keep as an impact player. Dummett as cover. Anita an tiote I would replace or use as cover. Williamson on the next bus out please. Colo as cover only. Saylor the same. Haidara as cover only. Get better cover for Krul or skmeone to challenge him ideally. Obertan as cover or get rid. Gouffran get rid. In future windows a pacey striker. A deep lying playmaker. A better left back. Cover at right back. Must get the replacement cb in this window and I’d be happy we have a great platform to really have a go at teams.

• 101 the ledge // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:35 PM

Wwsbrd not looking to argue either just my opinion . But I do think in my opinion that cabella was shocking he was the main man at Montpellier none of the big clubs in France at the time were intested in him .so I think thauvin is a big improvement on Cabella

• 102 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:36 PM

The reason for the french and dutch influx is all about the wage structure. MA dosn’t like paying the 80k a week a proven Premier League player would command.

That’s why Thauvin is coming in.

The way he see’s it is he can get two foreign players in for those sort of wages no doubt.

I really wanted to see proven Premier League players brought in but I can’t grumble at the moment when 50 mil has been spent.

• 103 Llort muw // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:36 PM

I get the impression that you’re really upset about Cabella not getting a fair chance. Could have been bad management, but if he is being sold then that evidently shows that he wasnt in McClarens plans. Now why do you think that is?

• 104 Mister Tuff // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:37 PM

I think we are signing some very decent and bwave players, nay bwave warriors.
    Hoorah for Wallys Bwave New World. Hoorah!

• 105 toonicle // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:39 PM

I’ll say i’m quite happy with signings so far, but 1 or 2 more defensive players are still needed. No more talk of strikers please unless Cisse is leaving which I don’t see happening. Perez fully deserves a good amount of games this year.

• 106 Our Toon // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:39 PM

Cabella broke down the momentum of the team, holding onto the ball to long to run in circles. The longer Cabella stayed here the more his value depreciates because let’s face it….the bloke was utter rubbish for this league

• 107 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:41 PM

Cabella isn’t needed, he is a number 10. A winger is needed and we have him in Thauvin.

Decent business to me.

My only worry is the outgoings, I hope there is none but MA and Charnley like to make the coin. I really hope we are not replacing with concentrating so much on the midfield and forwards.

• 108 WWSBRD // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:41 PM

I wasnt overly impressed with Cabella but he was no worse than anyone else in the team and certainly shouldnt be one of the first out the door, clearly has a lot of skill and has the work ethic to make the most of it, worthy of more than 1 season under 2 poor manager (who dropped him very quickly) and didnt know how to play him

Why did we not think we could sign them? There is no reason we cant sign players like that, its not impressive a club of our statue can attract players of their ilk

And 50 mill spent by the 18th richest club in the world after getting a huge income boost is impressive? We spent 37ish mill last summer and we were lucky to remain in the PL

• 109 Our Toon // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:41 PM

Cabella showed no qualities last season to say he’d be a success this season in the prem

• 110 the ledge // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:41 PM

Go mister tuff ur a right little cheerleader

• 111 anthc // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:42 PM

We’ve sold/released 5 first team players possibly 6 with abeid when confirmed. We’ve signed 3 first team players and one for the development squad. Everyone was saying last year our squad wasn’t big enough or good enough. I know the three signings are quality but we are still 3-4 players short. A few injuries and we’ll be struggling. What must poor aarons be thinking behind obertan and a new winger signed? I’d rather have a cb and fb and throw arrons in. Thauvin has a lot of pressure on him to hit the ground running or he may start slapping supporters when the criticism comes!

• 112 Mister Tuff // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:45 PM

See the club are advertising for new Fans Forum members – 8 seats available – but you have to be a season ticket holder. The club then apparently randomly select the representative. Also said Wally was a guest at the last meeting – so presumably he aint going to turn up often.

• 113 the ledge // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:45 PM

We spent 37 mil on average player s this year we have moved up a class delighted with the signings myself

• 114 WWSBRD // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:45 PM

the ledge
    I seem to recall a lot of teams were linked with Cabella but we offered the most money…quite like Mitrovic

Who says its McClarens decision? The club has a history of playing monetary value of players above the footballing value of them

• 115 Rotonda heights // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:46 PM

Mitrovic 12M
    MBemba 8.5M
    Wijnaldum 14.5M
    Thauvin 12M

Total 47M

Cabella 6.5M
    Abeid 1.5M

Net spend 39M

Should still have some left in the kitty for a CB and LB when you consider Liverpool spent 32M on Benteke.

• 116 thegaffer // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:48 PM

The mackems are going down in the stadium of shite!!

• 117 thegaffer // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:49 PM

The Cabella money is not available until Marseille exercises their buy-out option at the end of the season.. there was no loan fee , Marseille only pays Cabella’s wages for now.

• 118 the ledge // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:50 PM

Wwsbrd don’t think cabella got much intrest at all much the same as this time

• 119 Thump // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:51 PM

People are going to lose patience with Thauvin very quickly. He’s greedy, selfish, and while he can get the ball up the pitch with some pretty trickery, he’ll inevitably take a shot on himself, or overhit a pass.

Sincerely hope I’m wrong, but having watched him in France… eh.

• 120 toonicle // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:52 PM

For me it should be LB first, would love to see Willems come.

• 121 calvinzolamakongo // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:52 PM

We didnt. Sign austin or cabaye coz mit and mbemba are more than 6 years younger think we are trying to build a team for when we are in europe with have a spine of players that have been here for years not a few months look at southampton the spine of their team were there from ligue 1 to prem then slowly replaced with better players

• 122 Mister Tuff // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:52 PM

the ledge – we all need to be cheerleaders and support our bwave players, nay bwave warriors who are fighting to take us to the promised land – Wallys Bwave New World.

• 123 Thump // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:53 PM

@toonicle: And on that note, I’d love to see Williamson leave 😉

• 124 Llort muw // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:53 PM

I’m talking about past history, if I said at the start of the window that we were going to sign the players we have for the same price everyone would think I was mad. How can you say this isn’t impressive? We are top of the net spend league for the first time in god knows how long. Yes our club is big and you would expect it to lure these players in, I’m not talking about whether they would want to join but rather the price we have paid for each individual. This window has been excellent, could get even better with the signing of a CB, or on the other hand it could be a bad window if no other CB is signed.

Cabella isn’t good enough, if he had anything about him he would have kicked on after his goal, but he didn’t.

• 125 WWSBRD // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:55 PM

the ledge
    Pretty sure Cabella was linked with most of France top section, Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool when we were signing him….pretty pointless argument anyway when comparing him to Thauvin who is linked with just us

• 126 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:56 PM

I’d like to know how Swansea and West Ham can pay 1st team players 100k a week and we can’t. It’s not as if we have been building a quality squad is it?

Far too much dead wood on 30-40k a week.

The Taylors
    Ben Arfa

It goes on and on.

I’d much rather see proper quality brought in but we won’t pay the wages. We always go the untested iffy route rather than experienced quality. Will they make it will they not? Settling in times.

• 127 the ledge // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:56 PM

That’s the spirit mister tuff more like u and we will be bigger that barca?

• 128 Thump // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:56 PM

@Llort: Alright, so Cabella didn’t impress you. Fair enough. But evidently Marveaux and Obertan did?

Obviously not suggesting you’re saying that, but they’re surely behind Cabella in the pecking order, and yet they’re still here while we get a like for like trade for Thauvin.

• 129 Mister Tuff // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:57 PM

GFN reporting Thauvin signed up.

• 130 Thump // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:57 PM

Let’s pretend I said Marveaux, Obertan and Gouffran. I forgot about him until Prodigy mentioned him.

• 131 Our Toon // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:57 PM

Don’t forget to add the money we received for:

Pardew 3m
    Santon 2.5m
    Yanga 5.7m

Although they left in January we bought no one in that window and the money has been used in this window. Also we save 5m on Cabella as we don’t have to pay the add ons

• 132 Thump // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:58 PM

@Tuff: And apparently his agent is going to sue us because we left him out of the deal. Again by GFN.

• 133 WWSBRD // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:58 PM

So u are impressed that u are not disappointed by the club?

On Cabella time will prove who is right

• 134 Thump // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:59 PM

GFN France’s article about it.

Apparently Thauvin himself left his agent out of negotiations. Interesting.

• 135 Mister Tuff // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:59 PM

Link for GFN article:-

• 136 Our Toon // Aug 19, 2015 at 6:59 PM

We are all assuming Cabella wanted to stay, what’s to say he wasn’t the one who wanted to leave and go back to France?

As for obertan and Marveaux if they played a certain amount of games this season it wouldn’t cost us an additional 5m like it would with Cabella

• 137 WWSBRD // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:00 PM

Wouldnt they be after Thauvin rather than NUFC? He signed without them after all…not sure its NUFC responsibility that his agent is present

• 138 Llort muw // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:02 PM

I’m pretty sure the club wanted to get as much money as they could back from Cabella so that is why he was the one to go over. Either that or the fact that a club like Marseilles probably doesn’t want the likes of Obertan or Marveaux.

Cabella’s value will still be ok because it was only one season, but if he flopped again then the club will lose out on a lot of money. You know what this club is like on making profits.

• 139 OneAlanShearer // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:02 PM

Official on ssn thauvin signed 5 year deal.

• 140 magpiesi // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:03 PM

thauvin signed 5 year deal £13m confirmed

• 141 the ledge // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:04 PM

Wwsbrd so was thauvin but you would think that marseille would have bought him outright instead of loan for a year ,make you think they are not sure about him and thauvin would still be in Marseille if they had not got rid of there manager , I think your right though there is no point debeating the two one has just moved to a top league and one is gone home with his crossont between his legs

• 142 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:06 PM

• 143 Mag52 // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:07 PM

It might be an awkward question Mr.T. and you don’t have to answer it if you don’t want to, but why do you insist on the annoying habit of substituting a ‘w’ for a ‘r’ in your posts ?

• 144 magpiesi // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:07 PM

No 20 shirt for Thauvin

• 145 SUTTY1978 // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:07 PM

Abeid is a much better all round midfielder than “local hero” colback. Statistically the best tackler in every match he played for us. The only player we have who actually physically tries to take the ball off the opposition rather than just standing two yards in front of them and hoping for the best. Real shame, totally mishandled.

• 146 Thump // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:08 PM

Interesting that Cabella isn’t an “option to buy”, and is actually an “obligation to buy”

• 147 Mister Tuff // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:08 PM

Thauvin in Toon shirt – Official Site.

• 148 Mister Tuff // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:11 PM

Mag52 – if I said I had a lisp would that satisfy your enquiry. oops I mean enquiwy.

• 149 the ledge // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:12 PM

Thump we are covering our arises don’t think he will be a big success there

• 150 WWSBRD // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:12 PM

the ledge

• 151 Ian Toon // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:16 PM

WW- Did you actually watch last season?
    He had undoubted talent/ good technique but didn’t get to grips with PL physicality. He was infuriating waiting for refs to give him free kicks that never came and over elaborating which lost us attacking momentum. He was publicly criticised by all and sundry in the media – in training he was deliberately not given free kicks so he would not anticipate and stop. He also was told constantly by Pardew to use the width of the pitch and not play so centrally.
    We were lucky to get such a big fee back – noticeably there were no PL team bids.

“His conduct and professionalism are very, very impressive. That gives you heart that he’s going to be a success. Obviously he’s definitely got technical quality. He’s got to get a grasp.

“I don’t think he really gets referees. He goes down and he finds that some of the challenges in this divisions are not fouls. He genuinely believes that – but they’re not. “

• 152 thegaffer // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:28 PM

why are we still fighting about Cabella, he is gone.. just like Santon.. for me no matter how many attacking players we sign, our captain will sink the ship, untill SMC changes that, he is just an average manager.. you just cant run a Ferrari on a Focus’ wheels. It’s a joke that he hasn’t figured out the problem for conceding so many goals year after year.

previous post: Florian Thauvin In Newcastle – Photo