The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Sign Thauvin – I Am Delighted – It’s A Big Honor

7:11 pm, Wednesday, August 19th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 80 Comments

Newcastle have just announced they have completed the signing of Florian Thauvin from Marseille – and Remy Cabella has signed his loan deal for Marseille – which was announced earlier in the French press.

florian thauvin signs

Florian Thauvin today after signing for Newcastle United

This is the Newcastle announcement they have just put up on the web-site:

Florian Thauvin has become Newcastle United’s fifth signing of the summer, after completing a switch from Marseille.

The highly-rated 22-year-old French winger, who can also be deployed as a forward, has agreed a five-year contract on Tyneside and will wear the number 20 shirt.

As part of the deal, Remy Cabella has joined Marseille on loan until the end of the 2015/2016 campaign, with an obligation to buy at the end of the season subject to certain criteria being met.

Born in the French city of Orleans, Thauvin made his professional debut for Grenoble in March 2011 before signing for Bastia.

After some impressive performances for the Corsican side – including starring in their Ligue 2 title triumph of 2012 – he moved to Lille in January 2013.

He returned to Bastia on loan for six months and in September of that year Thauvin moved to Marseille, where he made 81 appearances over the last two seasons, scoring 15 goals.

The highly-rated international has represented France at U18, U19, U20 and U21 level, and was a key part of the Les Bleus team which lifted the 2013 FIFA Under-20 World Cup.

This is what Thauvin has said today:

“I am delighted to be a Newcastle United player.” “I have come from France to a really big club and am very happy to be here.”

“It is a big honor to know that Newcastle have been after me for such a long time and that they wanted me that much.”

“They have put their trust in me and I am looking forward to playing for the team.”

Newcastle United head coach Steve McClaren added:

“Florian is a player the Club have been watching for a long time and I am delighted that we have been able to sign him.” He is a perfect signing for this Club – someone who is young, with great potential and is one of the best young players in Europe.”

“He is an exciting, creative talent who can score goals and make assists, and we believe he will have a very bright future at Newcastle.”

Thauvin is fast and a very good technical player and he can both score goals and create goals, and he has been tracked by Graham Carr for a long time and the club have finally signed him.

He came to prominence with Bastia, which is when Newcastle first became interested back in 2011 and he moved to Lille in January two years ago but was allowed to stay at Bastia on loan for the rest of that season.

florian thauvin newcastle

Florian Thauvin at Benton today

Then in controversial move in the summer of 2013 he joined Marseille without ever having played a first team game for Lille.

He’s been at Marseille for two years now and Newcastle have been trying to sign him all this summer – and we have finally been successful.

His fee is understood to be around £14M and Remy Cabella has gone on loan to Marseille, and he will become a Marseille player when he plays a certain number first team games for the French club.

The fee for Cabella is though to be around £7M.

That brings Newcastle’s gross transfer outlay this summer to be around £50M – so you have to say that owner Mike Ashley has kept his word to splash the cash.

What do you think?

Tags: Contracts · Florian Thauvin · Newcastle News · Premier League · Remy Cabella · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

80 responses so far ↓

• 1 Llort muw // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:14 PM

Oh wait….

What a stupid signing!! We’ve got our priorities all wrong, cant believe we have actually gone and spent money on a player to improve our squad.

• 2 WWSBRD // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:16 PM

Haha Lille incident is nicely left out there

Gamble of a signing hope it works out

• 3 JackButler // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:17 PM

Read SM words as “We believe we will be able to sell him in the near future for a massive profit as Mikey wants a new swimming pool in his gold plated mansion”

• 4 the ledge // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:20 PM

Cb now and wee have enough for top eight finish come on fashley just one more

• 5 dogfish // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:21 PM

If he can adapt this will be a great signing. Now for a left back and if we’re really lucky a centre back!

• 6 doofa the loofa // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:21 PM

More quality… horse in bolting mode for sure.. cheers mike 🙂

• 7 Ian Toon // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:23 PM

WW- Did you actually watch last season?
    He had undoubted talent/ good technique but didn’t get to grips with PL physicality. He was infuriating waiting for refs to give him free kicks that never came and over elaborating which lost us attacking momentum. He was publicly criticised by all and sundry in the media – in training he was deliberately not given free kicks so he would not anticipate and stop. He also was told constantly by Pardew to use the width of the pitch and not play so centrally.
    We were lucky to get such a big fee back – noticeably there were no PL team bids.
    Pardew was very patient with him:
    “His conduct and professionalism are very, very impressive. That gives you heart that he’s going to be a success. Obviously he’s definitely got technical quality. He’s got to get a grasp.

“I don’t think he really gets referees. He goes down and he finds that some of the challenges in this divisions are not fouls. He genuinely believes that – but they’re not. “

• 8 dogfish // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:25 PM

Had Abeid actually gone then? If he does what do people think? I thought he had potential to be our best central midfielder, I think he was last season until he got injured and then the dreadful carver didn’t seem to rate/trust him.

• 9 WWSBRD // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:25 PM

Ian Toon
    From previous thread
    Yes I did watch last season thanks for asking. My opinion on Cabella differs from yours (I think that is fairly clear) however using Pardews opinion to backs ur up, for me, adds more weight to my argument

• 10 WWSBRD // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:26 PM

Oh from this thread now

• 11 JamesToon // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:27 PM

Welcome Florian <3 just a CB now come on ashley!

• 12 OneAlanShearer // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:27 PM

This helps close the supply gap for mitrovic and in creativity. Now we need to address the centre back great bug fat wallowing elephant in the room.

• 13 Ian Toon // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:28 PM

Ww- he was selected by 4-4-2, WSC and Henry Winter in the flops of the season.

• 14 JackButler // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:28 PM

It is a gamble of a signing as this time last year people were drooling over the Cabella addition and now people are slating him as being useless, think it’s nice to have a little perspective on here some times 🙂

• 15 Fostino // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:31 PM

Is this fellow left footed.

Gutted about abeid. He was central to our terrific rub of wins last year. Was like a schniederlan breaking up play. He’ll prove himself good with new team. I’m glad people’s fascination with Anita is going….he is not good enough to run a Pl midfield

• 16 Ian Toon // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:31 PM

Though you make a good point that a number of players performed well below their level last season . Just how much of the blame should be down to Pardew/ Carver is debatable.

• 17 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:31 PM

Will Thauvin be illegible to play against Man Ure?

• 18 thegaffer // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:32 PM

why are we still fighting about Cabella, he is gone.. just like Santon.. Abeid gone too.. for me no matter how many attacking players we sign, our captain will sink the ship, untill SMC changes that, he is just an average manager.. you just cant run a Ferrari on a Focus’ wheels unless you have a Barcaesque middfield and forward line where you would be lucky to touch the ball. It’s a joke that he hasn’t figured out the problem yet for conceding so many goals year after year.

• 19 eaststandgeordie1982 // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:33 PM

Not been on for a long time, im not sure how to take this signing lots of different opinions on the guy, i just hope he can hit the ground running and give us the width we need and get balls in the box.

• 20 Ian Toon // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:33 PM

Fostino – How do you rate Colback?

• 21 WWSBRD // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:33 PM

Ian Toon
    And if a career was decided upon 1 season in a new league used by a manager who more than likely didnt actually want u then again u may have a point

• 22 JackButler // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:33 PM

He has to be registered before midday on Friday to play

• 23 Ian Toon // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:34 PM

Fostino – left footed

• 24 ronaldo aarons // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:35 PM

Disappointed with rudiger going to roma, and very disappointed with abeid leaving. Thought he deserved a run in the team. With this talk of selling Sissoko, I would be open to it if we were getting abdoulaye doucoure from Rennes to replace him. Although he plays cm and not on the wings like how we are playing Sissoko.

• 25 will die for the toon army // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:35 PM

The horse will be complete it if we get a CB. but so far so good.

• 26 VanBasten // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:35 PM

Why do some keep moaning when the club sign a very promising winger??!! Sure, a defender is welcome, but based on what the club has signed so far, we needed to make a creative signing that can feed Mitrovic to get the best out of what is arguably the most important signing the club has done so far.

McClaren has always said that it will take 3 transfer windows to make this team great. And I think they have done an amazing job so far to keep that promise. Chancel Mbemba is a very promising defender that will need time to settle. And I think pairing him with somebody that has EPL experience is the best to make him adapt faster. When Coloccini plays well, he is a really good defender. But just like most players of the squad he suffered a bad last season. I think with the new management, style of football, and good signings, we will see different players emerge with newfound confidence. I think a player like Coloccini at least deserves a season prove that he still has something to offer considering all the years he has served the club.

So quite moaning and be happy that we have signed 4 really good players that could be the start of something amazing that we have not seen for over a decade.

• 27 Ian Toon // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:35 PM

WW- he’s got a better chance of getting back inFrench side for 2016.

• 28 spaghetti bandit // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:36 PM

Re dogfish
    Completely agree,, he’s a unit can pass well can tackle and can obv find the net with his ten goals at panithinikos

• 29 WWSBRD // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:37 PM

Least Cabella got a season I suppose, I reckon this kid will get less time

• 30 jakesome // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:37 PM

Sorry ed I’m not one of those posters that constantly critique your work but in the English language there is a u in honour. Other than that I really appreciate you wading through all the transfer gossip and bringing it together in one place.

• 31 WWSBRD // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:37 PM

Ian Toon
    …am not French

• 32 will die for the toon army // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:39 PM

Any one leaving is on Mccaz orders so it good for me coz I believe we are going to be with Mcca for the next 8 yrs.

• 33 toonicle // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:39 PM

Everyone saying CB next but i’d like to see a good starting LB come in first still. IF we assume Dummett will move to CB then we only really have 2 fullbacks right now.

• 34 thegaffer // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:40 PM

VanBasten.. if my kitchen pipe is leaking and my tap is rusting, I would change the pipe first and then the tap.. if I dont change the pipe and change the tap, the new tap will start to rust as well. All good if a top centre half is on its way, but if not, I think we invested in areas where we could have held off and done what was needed.

As for the 3 windows, maybe Cabella could have been given a chance and targetted Thauvin in the next if Cabella fails again. Thauvin, a good signing no doubt; but not at the expense of a top CB to replace Colo. As I said; all good if the CB is in its way.

• 35 JackButler // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:40 PM

Thing is that Cabella came to us off the back of a very good season while Thauvin had an absolute dog of a season, in fact he’s had a mare for the past 18 months.

Don’t think it will take the locals too long to turn a la Cabella, Gouffran, Rivière etc etc etc etc

• 36 WWSBRD // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:41 PM

will die
    How’s that? McClaren doesn’t seem to have much more clout in transfers than Pardew had so far

• 37 TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:41 PM

i would take a CB, LB or RB.

If we get a RB, im good with moving Janmat there. he looked sharp last year

Dummets best position was CB, hes too slow for LB.

• 38 JamesToon // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:41 PM

We’ve rejected a bid from Monaco for Olivier Kemen of £700k. Also Abdennour has been left out of the Monaco squad for their game against valencia

• 39 BandB // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:42 PM

One of the biggest criticisms of the club has been its willingness to persist with players after it was clear there was a fair to middling risk they would never come good. They are still criticised for it every day.
    If Cabella going means we get Thauvin, and getting Thauvin means Obertan isn’t a first choice, then it is an attempt at improvement.

• 40 JackButler // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:43 PM

He’s injured mate by all accounts

• 41 WWSBRD // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:43 PM

Yeah the good will sentiment isn’t really here for Thauvin is it?

• 42 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:43 PM

ty JB

• 43 Slank // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:43 PM

Welcome Florian.

If we want to get the best out of Mitrovic (and Gini) we need a speedy winger who can get past the fullback and cross into the penalty box and Florian is our man.

A front line of Thauvin, Mitrovic and Sissoko / Aarons has the potential to be devastating.

• 44 SA Toon // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:44 PM

Come on guys – surely we should all just wait and see what we’ve got here. One thing that has impressed (and relieved) me is that we’ve managed to sign some highly rated players that we nominated at the beginning of the window. I was seriously concerned after last season that quality players would ignore us and we’d have no chance of signing anyone worth having. Credit to the Board for getting a job done. I had all but given up on Mitro before we signed him and it certainly sounded as if Thauvin had got away from us as well. Who would’ve believed that NUFC would spend £50m pounds in a single window!! I do agree though that we need some defensive reinforcements. I’m realistic about our chances for the next 2 games, but I’m excited about the season ahead once the team settles. HOWAY THE LADS

• 45 ronaldo aarons // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:44 PM

17m euros to 20is the fee for thauvin. Monaco are looking for 20-25 for abdennour, no brainer for me.

• 46 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:44 PM

Thauvin’s missus isn’t bad either 🙂

• 47 JamesToon // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:46 PM

Rumours from Tunisian reports that NUFC officials in Monaco to discuss deal for Abdennour.

Get Kurzawa while their at it he’s a terrific left back

• 48 JackButler // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:46 PM

I think it would be there mate if the obvious issues had been addressed and who knows maybe by the time the window closes they will have been addressed, buy right now it’s like the band doing a sound check on the titanic after its hit the iceberg

• 49 WWSBRD // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:47 PM

Explains why he turned us down when Pards was here

• 50 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:47 PM

WWSBRD true mate true

• 51 Menelauos // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:48 PM

So we’ve brought in 4 first team players and 1 for the development squad. If we bring in 1 top quality Centre back. We’re top 10 for sure. And gives us a brilliant squad to build on.
    Spend £15-£20m on Abdennour. Come on Big Mike.

• 52 Ian Toon // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:48 PM

WW- Unexpected item in the bagging area! But he is.

• 53 cestriasteve // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:49 PM

I honestly think he will come good, played in e right position and with a full back who can support him or a DM who will support will be really good, his supply from colbeck and Windi will be vital.

Wasn’t excited by Cabella, I am about Thauvin. Just hope he can work on his strength, he’s 5’10 but hasn’t get any physicality at all.

• 54 Ian Toon // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:49 PM

What a shambles by Monaco defence.

• 55 maskedman // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:50 PM

Jack Butler

In the last two seasons he’s scored 13 goals and 12 assists in 67 games in Ligue 1. Hardly a mare!

It’s laughable how people on here will just type anything to put down a player they don’t like or just as often to try and prove a point on another player they prefer. Grow up!

• 56 thegaffer // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:50 PM

I wish SMC sees the bigger problem and is bold enough to do what is required; the captaincy has to be changed and Colo must not be in the first starting XI. All these good signings being washed down the drain by that single wrong decision, “Colo remains captain and extends his contract”.

• 57 WWSBRD // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:51 PM

Maybe so though, and I am just speaking for myself, am more concerned over his attitude and that he doesn’t seem to come with gleeming reviews

Bit of excitement because it’s a signing but I’d be lying if I said I was over the moon

• 58 DeanToon88 // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:52 PM

If we manage to sign abdennour as well I would say this has been an unbeleavble transfer window, I’m so happy we are finally signing quality players 😀

• 59 JackButler // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:53 PM

Have you ever actually watched him play???

From Xmas 2013/14 season he’s been very poor, if I remember correctly last season he scored four and created five???

You may not agree with my opinion but it’s based on actually watching the lad play.

He may come good and I truly hope he does but he’s coming here for a massive fee considering the form he’s shown

• 60 WWSBRD // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:54 PM

Ian Toon

Hope so mate am not exactly full of info on Thauvin but I hope he’s fantastic…am just not exited by him signing, happily be proven wrong by him I could be his biggest fan in a months time but right now am not jumping with joy

• 61 thegaffer // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:55 PM

Thauvin is the next Laurent Robert.

• 62 the broons // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:57 PM

sorry to sound harsh but for everyone saying a left back is needed more than a centre back doesn’t understand football….

• 63 JackButler // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:57 PM

Time will tell I guess mate, hope he rips it up but I think the joy is more for the fact we’ve bought another player rather than asking is he the right player, we’ve been starved of signings for so long people are overjoyed at this addition, but how many have actually watched him play and how many are getting carried away in the change of direction at the club???

• 64 Fostino // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:57 PM

Ian toon

I think he’s a 7 out of 10 every week. I think he’s potential to be an 8 out of 10 but doesn’t do it enough. If he had a little more he’s captain material. Doesn’t score enough. What do you think?

• 65 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:57 PM

Well we do need someone to service our lone forward so I am all for this signing…as long as it signals the end of the 4-2-3-1 formation and the beginning of the 4-3-3 formation!

…no more lone striker and finally some service!

Now please sort out the defense 😀

• 66 OneAlanShearer // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:57 PM

First xi and cover as it stands:

Best First xi:

Janmaat Mbemba Colo Haidara

Anita colback

Sissoko Wijnaldum thauvin

Cover xi:

Rb? Saylor lascelles Dummett

Tiote Bigi

Obertan sdj aarons

Gouffran, willo, vuckic, elliot, Riviere, ferguson.

• 67 toon kk // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:59 PM

Tbh every quality signing is very important, maybe someone should send S Mc a letter telling him to assess our defence, I think he’s over looked it..
    Has all the money which has been spent been spent wisely? I’m not so sure, even if we didn’t need defenders.

• 68 Toonces // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:59 PM

Regarding Colo’s new contract and captaincy… If McClaren is going to run a true meritocracy and the players respect that, and we bring in a top new CB, then there is nothing to stop McClaren from putting Colo to the bench if he doesn’t perform. Wenger put Vermaelen on the bench behind Mertesacker and Koscielny. Vermaelen was still club captain although he didn’t start and barely played at all. We can argue that McClaren is not of Wenger’s status but in the end they have the same responsibility to put the best team on the pitch. Rumors have been around that Colo has had more than his due share of influence at the club but with the new managerial team it may be that Colo has much to prove to keep his starting place. The new contract and his keeping of the captaincy could be a sign of respect from McClaren but should not be a guarantee.

• 69 will die for the toon army // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:59 PM

With him being on the board I think Mcca has a say on the transfers. Not the cheque book and the valuations but he confirms the list and all that sh&t knows where the money is coming from. He will know both the football and finance side.

• 70 maskedman // Aug 19, 2015 at 7:59 PM

No. He scored 5 and created 8 from midfield. That is hardly having a mare!

• 71 Mister Tuff // Aug 19, 2015 at 8:00 PM

jakesome – Ed lives in the US. The Americans spell honour as honor. He’s probably using some US text correcting as well.
    Annoys me slightly – the English language grammar should prevail – not an American version of it.

• 72 cestriasteve // Aug 19, 2015 at 8:01 PM

JB, from what I saw he was deployed centrally behind the striker, he was openly critical and said he preferred to cut in from the wing. Don’t know how to read into this as a player should play where he is told.
    SMc will expect him to do his defensive duties, so that’s a problem.

• 73 magpiesi // Aug 19, 2015 at 8:01 PM

IMO I think Macca is trying to balance the squad it’s now looking like two players per position except rb.

Cabella was never going to get a game at no 10
    He has eye catching tricks and skills but does he ever get past more than one man and have a end product? If you play him wide after 10 minutes he drifts central looking for the ball.

Arrons and Thauvin lm/lw
    Sissoko and Oberton rm/rw all 4 are fast and will be key to the new style of counter attack.

• 74 WWSBRD // Aug 19, 2015 at 8:02 PM

I think we share the same sentiment mate haha. I fully admit I have barely seen Thauvin play which is concerning because everyone on here has seen him week in week out for 2 years it seems…worried I am missing out on something

will die
    So not much different than Pardew then?

• 75 will die for the toon army // Aug 19, 2015 at 8:06 PM

I think Mcca will be no nonsense Head Coach he will nees people to perform and guarantee ur place. U cam be Captain wen u r on bench.

Abdennour is coming and Mbemba and Colo shld b prepared to fight for their places. Another player with no competition is Janmatt and Colback.

Dummett is going to b the starting LB. I think he sees himself as LB.

• 76 martoon // Aug 19, 2015 at 8:09 PM

I have to say if we do sign another defender such as Abdennour then the club will have exceeded my expectations this transfer window!

• 77 Moonraker15 // Aug 19, 2015 at 8:09 PM

Oh my god I can’t believe some people are not happy about our signings! especially as we’ve got rid of Cabella as well! How can anyone think these are not great signings for the club? I’m sure we’ll get another defender in and can’t wait for the reaction from the doubters!
    FFS 5 great signings and still we have moaners !

• 78 will die for the toon army // Aug 19, 2015 at 8:10 PM

I dont think Pardew knew abt anything. Players were signed behind his back and all. In Pardewz reign I think Colo will b gone by now. Cabella wld still b around. Cisse and Tiote wld be gone

• 79 Moonraker15 // Aug 19, 2015 at 8:20 PM

SM definitely has an input as to who stays as you say and although Thauvin wasn’t his choice, I’m sure he’s given him the nod of approval.

It has turned into an exciting project for him now and it will be fascinating to find out what he does about CB having given Colo a vote of confidence.

That young lad Dunk at Brighton would be a great choice imo! What do you think?

• 80 sfbay_toon // Aug 19, 2015 at 9:49 PM

IMO, nice piece to add to the offensive side. Having a left-footer who can create plays and provide good service from the left adds many attacking plays to our playbook. Mitrovic/Cisse will be the immediate beneficiaries.

Sure, Aarons plays on the left too, but extra depth is critical – holidays’ two-a-weeks, long cup runs, and the potential for injury reward a deep bench.

As for the missing defensive pieces, we can always try to outscore our opponents…. Anyway, good defense from new pieces takes time and a bit of faith.

previous post: French Midfielder Leaves Newcastle