Newcastle Using Faulty Logic On Transfers

It looked like if Newcastle had brought in Charlie Austin after we also brought in Aleksandar Mitrovic, then Papiss Cisse could be sold before the end of the summer transfer window.

But Steve McClaren seems to like what he sees of Cisse, and Papiss has started for Newcastle in the lone striker role in the first two games of the season with Mitrovic on the bench.

diego rolan

Diego Rolan – we don’t need him

Papiss wants to stay on Tyneside, and he scored 11 goals in 22 appearances for us last season when he was still carrying some pain in his knee from the broken knee-cap he suffered a year last April.

The Senegal striker is now fully fit and he has shown over the last almost four years, that he can get the goals in the Premier League.

Newcastle seem to have cooled to the idea of paying out £15M for Charlie Austin, but there’s news today in the local Shields Gazette, that we may try to sign Bordeaux striker Diego Rolan.

We have Papiss Cisse, Aleksandar Mitrovic, Ayoze Perez and Manu Riviere as strikers, and if Adam Armstrong keeps hammering them in at Coventry – he scored another good goal last night – then we could even recall the 18 year-old.

Here’s a report on Adam and the video of the goal we put out last night.

We also have players like Gini Wijnaldum, Siem de Jong and Rolando Aarons who can score goals – plus the incoming Florian Thauvin.

So why are we not concentrating on bringing one or even two new defenders in to shore up the part of the team – the defense – that by the statistics has been our biggest weakness over the last three PL seasons?

We have conceded a massive 190 goals over the least three seasons in the Premier League – and the facts are there for all to see.

If you don’t strengthen the team in the right (the weakest) places you don’t really strengthen the team.

• cyprus

Aug 19, 2015 at 9:58 AM

Thauvin: excellent deal, hope he works out for us. We have never quite replaced HBA, so hope he’s the real deal. Cabella, for various reasons, didn’t quite work out. In truth, we have plenty of midfielders, but none (bar maybe Sissoko) who can attack straight on and unlock organised teams.

Then again, we had HBA himself, but that’s another story (right AP)?

If we can form a team which can attack, fast, maintain pressure, steal the ball, then teams won’t camp in our half, as they often do, thus exposing any defence we might have.

• SanD

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:02 AM

I wouldn’t sell cisse as he’s our only proven goal scorer. We need someone to get the goals whilst mitrovic adjusts to this league.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:03 AM

Cyprus,
    Me too, I think the negativity surrounding his arrival is because of the glaringly poor defence. People are worried about it.

• cyprus

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:03 AM

Unrelated:
    Does anyone have a Muddyfox bike, the type that Mike sells? I am looking at buying a couple hybrids and they are much cheaper there, with excellent specs re frame, weight, gears, etc.

Reading reviews on the net, it’s full of ‘buy from a real bike shop’ etc. but no real unbiased reviews, oif you know what I mean.

Thanks to anyone who knows about this stuff and responds to this. And you’ll be doing NUFC a favour. I will be paying Thauvin’s salary – for one or two minutes.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:04 AM

SanD,
    Austin could have been an immediate starter as well.

• murvar

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:05 AM

Not a relacement for HBA! We don’t need another wasteful lazy non-professional – we have enough of those already. HBA was a waste of space long before Pardew got hold of him and he still is now that he’s moved on.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:06 AM

Cyprus,
    A Boardman from Halfords, great reviews and not outrageous price wise.

• cyprus

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:07 AM

Jail,
    Agreed re poor defence, but I think we are not exactly the finished article elsewhere 🙂
    I’ve read comparisons to Nasri, that don’t sound too bad.
    Re defence, maybe we should get that Enrique back? He’s the best LB we ever had, really.

• cyprus

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:10 AM

Jail, I live in Cyprus mate and the SD shop is like a mile away. Price, convenience, I guess.That’s why that guy wins every time. But if they are crap, it would be a waste of 500 Euros

• cyprus

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:11 AM

Murv,
    he needed love man 😉

Anyway, disagree

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:12 AM

Ed…to be honest it’s not like we are scoring lots of goals is it?

…as much as I agree we need another CB and a backup RB the truth of the matter is to win games we need to outscore the opponent!

• cyprus

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:13 AM

That player been debated to death here and he doesn’t play for us any more.
    Was just trying to figure out Thauvin, that’s why I mentioned him

• SanD

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:14 AM

JFA
    Agreed but not for £15mil

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:16 AM

Cyprus…a Muddyfox isn’t that just a mountain bike?

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:18 AM

Does not make sense to sell Cisse.
    I’ve been banging on for weeks not to sell Cisse as he is a proven premiership goalscorer. He might be frustrating at times getting himself offside to many times but he has the canny knack of popping up in the right place to score.

We would of been relegated last year if he was sold which the club wanted to do.

Only problem I don’t think he can play the lone striker – I would go with two up front maybe unleash the Mitrovic Cisse combination against Manure Utd to shake their defence up as it looks a bit slow and ponderous – like ours

• cyprus

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:19 AM

Man U, whom have been crap, will have figured us all out and win 1-0, so throwing this new player on might shake em up. I remember Jonas doing something like that to them (1-1 but rattled?)

• Fostino

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:19 AM

This most be the least grateful fans gave ever been to see a new signing come in.

• SanD

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:20 AM

I agree Charlie
    Attack is the best line of defence. We aren’t strong enough defensively to invite teams to attack us b

• Jib

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:21 AM

AC Milan have made enquiries about Sissoko.

According to IlMilanista we asked for €20million which was too rich for their blood.

But I expect these are just the opening gambits.

• Ron Knee

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:21 AM

jesper
    I think it’s fair to say we’ve been cr*p in all areas!

• SanD

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:22 AM

I’m happy to have thauvin here. We are in need of a specialised winger and hopefully he can do a job and supply cisse/mitrovic with quality balls into the box

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:23 AM

Ron…that would definitely be fair to say mate 😉

• cyprus

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:24 AM

Jesper, they have ‘hybrids’ too. Like a Mountain bike, but thinner tyres like a road bike.
    TBH, I’m not a bike guy, just learning the ropes, via the internet and friends’ opinions.
    SD bikes are fully 200 Euros cheaper, with the same specs! Just wondering if it’s like economies of scale or more ‘you pay for what you get’…

• cyprus

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:27 AM

Three crap teams I’ve watched this season: Chelsea, ManU, NUFC vs. Swansea 🙂

• widowmagandapoke

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:28 AM

On the topic of bringing a defender in, Stevie Mac seems to have placed a lot of faith in Collo. Hence the reluctance to bring in a CB. If a big name central defender came in that would mean dropping the new lad who looks good or Collo who Stevie rates and is captain! I don’ t think this is right but…..

• Whumpie

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:28 AM

That last bit in the previous article about the fans being happy if we get this deal PLUS a decent defender… that just about nails it for me.

I went into this window convinced that the most we’d ever do under Ashley was just enough to get to mid-table. Up to now that’s been the case. However, if the Thauvin deal is done and Abdennour or a similar, quality defender comes in – then I’ll be very happily proved wrong.

If we do that, then the club will have shown real intent, and while I’d still only expect mid-table I think the club should be pleased with doing as much as could be hoped for in a single window. The telling bit will be whether they then continue to build in subsequent ones.

I live in hope, but I’d be happy if we didn’t sign any more strikers for now. I’d rather see how the current crop gets on than splurge and hope.

• Ron Knee

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:40 AM

widow
    When Colo got his extended contract I don’t think McClaren had even seen him play. Curious.

• corkypants

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:40 AM

Right i want people to be honest before answering!
    Who would of been happy with this transfer window if we were offered it the day after west ham

wijnaldum
    mitrovic
    mbemba
    toney
    thauvin

no outgoings as yet best part of 50 million spent!

iwould of snapped your hand of especially the quality of the players!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:43 AM

Cyprus…I an not big bike enthusiast either but I know that there’s a huge different in quality between a £500 bike and a £1000 bike.

I know you can get them more expensive but if you are a rookie a £1000 bike will suffice.

Try have a look at Giant, Scott or Specialized. I don’t know if they make hybrids but they make lightweight MB.

• Mister Tuff

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:43 AM

I’m hopeful that Thauvin is going to be a decent buy. Remember a few years back we were after him. So I think we should safely assume that the Toon have a complete dossier about him.
    So if he does not live up to the hype the club should be criticised.
    However, lets give the bloke a chance -may turn out to be a decent player and one thing is for sure he can play football and will be better than Obertron.
    We still need to get the defence sorted out though and get a creative midfielder -as Anita and Colback are not creative.
    Overall going in the right direction – so far.

• Mister Tuff

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:46 AM

Some naughty posters on here today – posting about non footballing matters. I anticipate the non footballing posts police will be making an appearance to abuse and scold the offenders.
    Or do they only criticise certain posters.

• hibbit

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:47 AM

whumpie ….just about sums it up if those 2 come in great could solve a lot of problems ,,,,,still have my doubts about the fb’s no cover for rb and a first team lb is a must if we don’t get this sorted the january window is a long way off

• SanD

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:48 AM

When you compare this window to previous windows, you have to say that it has been very successful, although I do think certain areas such as defence have been ignored. Still time though.

• JamesToon

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:49 AM

Good post corky, certainly would have taken our 5 signings in a heartbeat after the West Ham game

• jimmysmith

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:49 AM

I have another theory. Ashley has asked for a more entertaining brand of football, thus the emphasis on attacking players. I think he wanted this from Pardew too, but failed to join the dots when he looked at the squads he gave him, unable to see they lacked the depth and quality to achieve it. Pardew often talked about setting up to entertain, almost pleadingly, only to seemingly lose his faith in the players he often was forced to send out, often mid match, and retreat into more defensive shapes, and scared of conceding.

• Offkey

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:50 AM

Cyprus – can’t really help you on the current standing on muddy fox bikes but as a kid in the 80/90 everyone wanted one and they had a very good reputation…..oh, thunder cats, how I miss you

• Klatoon

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:53 AM

People not happy with Thauvin need to realise his signing offers hope for an Obertan-less starting 11. id hav taken any1 to get him off the team so i dont see how a naturally leftsided decent deadball taker would be a bad fit. And yes i know we have Aarons but its a squad game these days.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:55 AM

Senor Tuff…I ignore such posters!

• gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola)

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:55 AM

People please…

Running out of excuses and making yourselves believing in excuses.
    We are desperate in need of a CB. We can sign another 6 players but in the PL today you cannot afford to NOT be able to defend.

We cannot do so and haven’t been able to do so for YEARS.
    Member sure, but now we need a “Class” CB.

If we get Abdenour Ashley would truly deliver.