The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Using Faulty Logic On Transfers

9:51 am, Wednesday, August 19th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 143 Comments

It looked like if Newcastle had brought in Charlie Austin after we also brought in Aleksandar Mitrovic, then Papiss Cisse could be sold before the end of the summer transfer window.

But Steve McClaren seems to like what he sees of Cisse, and Papiss has started for Newcastle in the lone striker role in the first two games of the season with Mitrovic on the bench.

diego rolan

Diego Rolan – we don’t need him

Papiss wants to stay on Tyneside, and he scored 11 goals in 22 appearances for us last season when he was still carrying some pain in his knee from the broken knee-cap he suffered a year last April.

The Senegal striker is now fully fit and he has shown over the last almost four years, that he can get the goals in the Premier League.

Newcastle seem to have cooled to the idea of paying out £15M for Charlie Austin, but there’s news today in the local Shields Gazette, that we may try to sign Bordeaux striker Diego Rolan.

We have Papiss Cisse, Aleksandar Mitrovic, Ayoze Perez and Manu Riviere as strikers, and if Adam Armstrong keeps hammering them in at Coventry – he scored another good goal last night – then we could even recall the 18 year-old.

Here’s a report on Adam and the video of the goal we put out last night.

We also have players like Gini Wijnaldum, Siem de Jong and Rolando Aarons who can score goals – plus the incoming Florian Thauvin.

So why are we not concentrating on bringing one or even two new defenders in to shore up the part of the team – the defense – that by the statistics has been our biggest weakness over the last three PL seasons?

We have conceded a massive 190 goals over the least three seasons in the Premier League – and the facts are there for all to see.

If you don’t strengthen the team in the right (the weakest) places you don’t really strengthen the team.

Tags: Newcastle News · Recruitment · Scouting Network · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

143 responses so far ↓

• 1 cyprus // Aug 19, 2015 at 9:58 AM

Thauvin: excellent deal, hope he works out for us. We have never quite replaced HBA, so hope he’s the real deal. Cabella, for various reasons, didn’t quite work out. In truth, we have plenty of midfielders, but none (bar maybe Sissoko) who can attack straight on and unlock organised teams.

Then again, we had HBA himself, but that’s another story (right AP)?

If we can form a team which can attack, fast, maintain pressure, steal the ball, then teams won’t camp in our half, as they often do, thus exposing any defence we might have.

• 2 SanD // Aug 19, 2015 at 10:02 AM

I wouldn’t sell cisse as he’s our only proven goal scorer. We need someone to get the goals whilst mitrovic adjusts to this league.

• 3 Jail for Ashley // Aug 19, 2015 at 10:03 AM

Me too, I think the negativity surrounding his arrival is because of the glaringly poor defence. People are worried about it.

• 4 cyprus // Aug 19, 2015 at 10:03 AM

Does anyone have a Muddyfox bike, the type that Mike sells? I am looking at buying a couple hybrids and they are much cheaper there, with excellent specs re frame, weight, gears, etc.

Reading reviews on the net, it’s full of ‘buy from a real bike shop’ etc. but no real unbiased reviews, oif you know what I mean.

Thanks to anyone who knows about this stuff and responds to this. And you’ll be doing NUFC a favour. I will be paying Thauvin’s salary – for one or two minutes.

• 5 Jail for Ashley // Aug 19, 2015 at 10:04 AM

Austin could have been an immediate starter as well.

• 6 murvar // Aug 19, 2015 at 10:05 AM

Not a relacement for HBA! We don’t need another wasteful lazy non-professional – we have enough of those already. HBA was a waste of space long before Pardew got hold of him and he still is now that he’s moved on.

• 7 Jail for Ashley // Aug 19, 2015 at 10:06 AM

A Boardman from Halfords, great reviews and not outrageous price wise.

• 8 cyprus // Aug 19, 2015 at 10:07 AM

Agreed re poor defence, but I think we are not exactly the finished article elsewhere 🙂
    I’ve read comparisons to Nasri, that don’t sound too bad.
    Re defence, maybe we should get that Enrique back? He’s the best LB we ever had, really.

• 9 cyprus // Aug 19, 2015 at 10:10 AM

Jail, I live in Cyprus mate and the SD shop is like a mile away. Price, convenience, I guess.That’s why that guy wins every time. But if they are crap, it would be a waste of 500 Euros

• 10 cyprus // Aug 19, 2015 at 10:11 AM

he needed love man 😉

Anyway, disagree

• 11 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 19, 2015 at 10:12 AM

Ed…to be honest it’s not like we are scoring lots of goals is it?

…as much as I agree we need another CB and a backup RB the truth of the matter is to win games we need to outscore the opponent!

• 12 cyprus // Aug 19, 2015 at 10:13 AM

That player been debated to death here and he doesn’t play for us any more.
    Was just trying to figure out Thauvin, that’s why I mentioned him

• 13 SanD // Aug 19, 2015 at 10:14 AM

Agreed but not for £15mil

• 14 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 19, 2015 at 10:16 AM

Cyprus…a Muddyfox isn’t that just a mountain bike?

• 15 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Aug 19, 2015 at 10:18 AM

Does not make sense to sell Cisse.
    I’ve been banging on for weeks not to sell Cisse as he is a proven premiership goalscorer. He might be frustrating at times getting himself offside to many times but he has the canny knack of popping up in the right place to score.

We would of been relegated last year if he was sold which the club wanted to do.

Only problem I don’t think he can play the lone striker – I would go with two up front maybe unleash the Mitrovic Cisse combination against Manure Utd to shake their defence up as it looks a bit slow and ponderous – like ours

• 16 cyprus // Aug 19, 2015 at 10:19 AM

Man U, whom have been crap, will have figured us all out and win 1-0, so throwing this new player on might shake em up. I remember Jonas doing something like that to them (1-1 but rattled?)

• 17 Fostino // Aug 19, 2015 at 10:19 AM

This most be the least grateful fans gave ever been to see a new signing come in.

• 18 SanD // Aug 19, 2015 at 10:20 AM

I agree Charlie
    Attack is the best line of defence. We aren’t strong enough defensively to invite teams to attack us b

• 19 Jib // Aug 19, 2015 at 10:21 AM

AC Milan have made enquiries about Sissoko.

According to IlMilanista we asked for €20million which was too rich for their blood.

But I expect these are just the opening gambits.

• 20 Ron Knee // Aug 19, 2015 at 10:21 AM

I think it’s fair to say we’ve been cr*p in all areas!

• 21 SanD // Aug 19, 2015 at 10:22 AM

I’m happy to have thauvin here. We are in need of a specialised winger and hopefully he can do a job and supply cisse/mitrovic with quality balls into the box

• 22 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 19, 2015 at 10:23 AM

Ron…that would definitely be fair to say mate 😉

• 23 cyprus // Aug 19, 2015 at 10:24 AM

Jesper, they have ‘hybrids’ too. Like a Mountain bike, but thinner tyres like a road bike.
    TBH, I’m not a bike guy, just learning the ropes, via the internet and friends’ opinions.
    SD bikes are fully 200 Euros cheaper, with the same specs! Just wondering if it’s like economies of scale or more ‘you pay for what you get’…

• 24 cyprus // Aug 19, 2015 at 10:27 AM

Three crap teams I’ve watched this season: Chelsea, ManU, NUFC vs. Swansea 🙂

• 25 widowmagandapoke // Aug 19, 2015 at 10:28 AM

On the topic of bringing a defender in, Stevie Mac seems to have placed a lot of faith in Collo. Hence the reluctance to bring in a CB. If a big name central defender came in that would mean dropping the new lad who looks good or Collo who Stevie rates and is captain! I don’ t think this is right but…..

• 26 Whumpie // Aug 19, 2015 at 10:28 AM

That last bit in the previous article about the fans being happy if we get this deal PLUS a decent defender… that just about nails it for me.

I went into this window convinced that the most we’d ever do under Ashley was just enough to get to mid-table. Up to now that’s been the case. However, if the Thauvin deal is done and Abdennour or a similar, quality defender comes in – then I’ll be very happily proved wrong.

If we do that, then the club will have shown real intent, and while I’d still only expect mid-table I think the club should be pleased with doing as much as could be hoped for in a single window. The telling bit will be whether they then continue to build in subsequent ones.

I live in hope, but I’d be happy if we didn’t sign any more strikers for now. I’d rather see how the current crop gets on than splurge and hope.

• 27 Ron Knee // Aug 19, 2015 at 10:40 AM

When Colo got his extended contract I don’t think McClaren had even seen him play. Curious.

• 28 corkypants // Aug 19, 2015 at 10:40 AM

Right i want people to be honest before answering!
    Who would of been happy with this transfer window if we were offered it the day after west ham

no outgoings as yet best part of 50 million spent!

iwould of snapped your hand of especially the quality of the players!

• 29 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 19, 2015 at 10:43 AM

Cyprus…I an not big bike enthusiast either but I know that there’s a huge different in quality between a £500 bike and a £1000 bike.

I know you can get them more expensive but if you are a rookie a £1000 bike will suffice.

Try have a look at Giant, Scott or Specialized. I don’t know if they make hybrids but they make lightweight MB.

• 30 Mister Tuff // Aug 19, 2015 at 10:43 AM

I’m hopeful that Thauvin is going to be a decent buy. Remember a few years back we were after him. So I think we should safely assume that the Toon have a complete dossier about him.
    So if he does not live up to the hype the club should be criticised.
    However, lets give the bloke a chance -may turn out to be a decent player and one thing is for sure he can play football and will be better than Obertron.
    We still need to get the defence sorted out though and get a creative midfielder -as Anita and Colback are not creative.
    Overall going in the right direction – so far.

• 31 Mister Tuff // Aug 19, 2015 at 10:46 AM

Some naughty posters on here today – posting about non footballing matters. I anticipate the non footballing posts police will be making an appearance to abuse and scold the offenders.
    Or do they only criticise certain posters.

• 32 hibbit // Aug 19, 2015 at 10:47 AM

whumpie ….just about sums it up if those 2 come in great could solve a lot of problems ,,,,,still have my doubts about the fb’s no cover for rb and a first team lb is a must if we don’t get this sorted the january window is a long way off

• 33 SanD // Aug 19, 2015 at 10:48 AM

When you compare this window to previous windows, you have to say that it has been very successful, although I do think certain areas such as defence have been ignored. Still time though.

• 34 JamesToon // Aug 19, 2015 at 10:49 AM

Good post corky, certainly would have taken our 5 signings in a heartbeat after the West Ham game

• 35 jimmysmith // Aug 19, 2015 at 10:49 AM

I have another theory. Ashley has asked for a more entertaining brand of football, thus the emphasis on attacking players. I think he wanted this from Pardew too, but failed to join the dots when he looked at the squads he gave him, unable to see they lacked the depth and quality to achieve it. Pardew often talked about setting up to entertain, almost pleadingly, only to seemingly lose his faith in the players he often was forced to send out, often mid match, and retreat into more defensive shapes, and scared of conceding.

• 36 Offkey // Aug 19, 2015 at 10:50 AM

Cyprus – can’t really help you on the current standing on muddy fox bikes but as a kid in the 80/90 everyone wanted one and they had a very good reputation…..oh, thunder cats, how I miss you

• 37 Klatoon // Aug 19, 2015 at 10:53 AM

People not happy with Thauvin need to realise his signing offers hope for an Obertan-less starting 11. id hav taken any1 to get him off the team so i dont see how a naturally leftsided decent deadball taker would be a bad fit. And yes i know we have Aarons but its a squad game these days.

• 38 Jib // Aug 19, 2015 at 10:55 AM

• 39 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 19, 2015 at 10:55 AM

Senor Tuff…I ignore such posters!

• 40 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Aug 19, 2015 at 10:55 AM

People please…

Running out of excuses and making yourselves believing in excuses.
    We are desperate in need of a CB. We can sign another 6 players but in the PL today you cannot afford to NOT be able to defend.

We cannot do so and haven’t been able to do so for YEARS.
    Member sure, but now we need a “Class” CB.

If we get Abdenour Ashley would truly deliver.

• 41 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Aug 19, 2015 at 10:56 AM

Member = Mbemba…have no idea why auto correct corrected that.

• 42 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 19, 2015 at 11:00 AM

Cyprus…is it something like this?

• 43 SanD // Aug 19, 2015 at 11:01 AM

We currently have 5 CB’s in and around the first team – 4 not good enough and haven’t seen enough of mbemba but looks promising. Until any of those 4 are sold/moved on we won’t be getting anymore.

• 44 Whumpie // Aug 19, 2015 at 11:02 AM

Corkypants: I see what you’re saying, but the answer would have been “No. Not happy – where are the defenders?”

We can sit and look at all the exciting foreigners who may or may not make it in the PL while trying to score enough goals to counter the flood of goals conceded.

But we’d still go down.

If we get a really decent defender (on top of Mbemba, who looks good so far) then yes, I’ll be happy. Without that, I’ll be dreading every game just like I did last year.

• 45 JP...from The Rock // Aug 19, 2015 at 11:10 AM

Bring back The Entertainers! Lol with all these attack minded transfers and yet our defense remains weak I can see more 4-3 scorelines coming this season. Maybe that is what Ashley wants to see an entertaining match everytime. Though I think we will soon improve our defense after the Thauvin deal or in January.

I am excited by the Thauvin deal as he is an explosive talent, it could go either way though. What is clear is that Cabella was struggling badly in this league and didn’t offer much attacking threat.

I am very pleased with the quality of signings for now and never would have imagined we’ll get this quality especially without selling first.

• 46 Mister Tuff // Aug 19, 2015 at 11:11 AM

jesper – I suppose they should be ignored but from time to time I think it is worthwhile to highlight their rampant duplicity.

• 47 Rotonda heights // Aug 19, 2015 at 11:21 AM

not fussed about cabela or sissoko leaving as I am worried about perez and aarons getting game time.

• 48 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 19, 2015 at 11:21 AM

Senor Tuff…it is my friend! and just give ’em hell 😉

• 49 Ron Knee // Aug 19, 2015 at 11:29 AM

Perhaps McClaren intended to use Perez but neither match went according to plan!

• 50 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 19, 2015 at 11:30 AM

my god Leicester are signing Gokan Inler

• 51 martoon // Aug 19, 2015 at 11:30 AM

corkypants @28 – Good post. I would have been delighted. I still am pleased with our transfer business but wonder whether we need a good defensive midfielder to protect the back four rather than a defender as this seems to be the problem?

• 52 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 19, 2015 at 11:34 AM

martoon…the buys we have done are good buys but it’s incomplete and without the finale pieces of the jigsaw it won’t matter.

…I would argue more than half the teams have had a better window than us (so far…)

• 53 Mister Tuff // Aug 19, 2015 at 11:35 AM

Any delight or euphoria about getting a new player will be short lived as come the weekend I suspect we are going to get a good tonking from Man U. They seem to be slowly getter better at the wrong time for us.

• 54 Mister Tuff // Aug 19, 2015 at 11:36 AM

error – getter =getting

• 55 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 19, 2015 at 11:37 AM

Ron…it’s difficult to know what SM intended, but his performance so far is below par I think!

• 56 Whumpie // Aug 19, 2015 at 11:38 AM

I do feel that people are mistaking a big £ number for good signings. We’ve brought in nobody with PL experience, and on average we’re as likely to see another Cabella or Ben Arfa as we are a Sissoko or Cisse.

We saw what happens when you have a load of potentially good attackers in front of a rubbish defence: you lose. They have to fall back to defend, and it all goes spoons.

So far what we’ve seen is some good work but all the same work: players with big potential to make a profit and/or entertain. They are all punts.

What we desperately need and have needed for ages is a less risky, more pragmatic signing for the back four.

• 57 Mister Tuff // Aug 19, 2015 at 11:40 AM

jesper – I agree with that – until all the pieces of the jigsaw are in place – everybody will not be able to excel/play their own game and nt have to be overly responsible/cover for any duds in the team.
    I would expect the team not to be “correct” in all positions come the end of the window.
    But I suppose we cannot really expect to replace all the duds at once.

• 58 martoon // Aug 19, 2015 at 11:42 AM

jesperfuglsang @52 – You make a good point – it’s difficult to comprehend how McClaren and co. cannot see that we just can’t defend and this needs addressing immediately. The first 2 games should have made this even clearer!

• 59 SanD // Aug 19, 2015 at 11:43 AM

man u is the time to start Aarons and mitrovic

• 60 calvinzolamakongo // Aug 19, 2015 at 11:45 AM

Cabella training with OM this morn could see some movement on thauvin then :)….dont understand y willo and gouff aint been sold yet they cant be that bad and both aint on big wages also saw someone post earlier about abeid getting 1.5 mill on twitter y day panathanikos offered 250k

• 61 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 19, 2015 at 11:46 AM

Senor Tuff…I agree! and I accept it will take more than one window to do so, but another CB and Striker to play wide is needed this window.

SM still haven’t played 4-3-3 which it’s is rumored he did in Holland. To me that says he still doesn’t think he has the players for it…then bring that to Charmless’ attention.

The Swansea game was really bad and reminded me of what we had under Pardew…then again I don’t think he’s any better (his football is usually easier on the eyes and I’ll take that)

• 62 Offkey // Aug 19, 2015 at 11:47 AM

Sand- I think so to. Whilst the first few games mcclaren may not be learning a lot I think we are all learning about mcclaren and as the games come, we will all begin to find out whether it was a good move…….guys, just so I have it down…..I have a strange feeling we will get something out of the man u game……and I’m not talking about a drubbing.

• 63 martoon // Aug 19, 2015 at 11:47 AM

Tuff @57 – One of the problems with the transfer window is that it is very difficult to rebuild a team in one window – I think McClaren himself said it would take about 3. Like everybody else I want to see results now but really I suppose you have to give McClaren time.

• 64 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 19, 2015 at 11:50 AM

Against Man Utd. I would go 4-3-3 and spice it up a bit! Surprise them…no one thinks we will get anything from the game!.

And I agree throw Mit, Perez, Siem and Aarons in that game. And for the love of God bench both Oberbad and Cisse!

• 65 Offkey // Aug 19, 2015 at 11:52 AM

Marton – completely agree it will take a few windows to turn the squad round but I was hoping for at least 6 + players this window excluding the forest lads. Still may happen and if it does I would be very pleased………even if it’s 5 with thauvin in and another cb I still look at it as a decent window

• 66 corkypants // Aug 19, 2015 at 11:58 AM

there is still time for a couple of defensive players! i think the business done this transfer window has been superb so far!

I am really hoping there will be a couple of deals for defenders, i am positive steve mc can see thats what we need i have a feeling we may be waiting for other clubs to move for replacements for our new defenders just a hunch

• 67 Big Pappa Cissé // Aug 19, 2015 at 12:03 PM

Do Man U seriously think they are going to get Muller FFS .

Pedro obviously pied them off to go to Chelsea and they are trying to save face .

Its embarrassing, and like they are saying “hey look we are still a big club” .

• 68 Transfer Sage // Aug 19, 2015 at 12:05 PM

I agree with that 433. I see the point the manager makes with Aarons about not rushing him but if he is physically and mentally fit the lad should be starting ahead of him, would do him the world of good.

As for Thauvin I haven’t seen hkm really so not sure why his form dipped but that can happen in a new club for many reasons, the new challenge over here could reignite this boys career or not, it’s worth looking at really.

Also I keep hearing we are spending big money, 12mil now isn’t that big given the tv deals, look around at what most clubs are spending, other than a couple hidden gems it seems to take 10-20mil to get a reasonable player .

• 69 Jib // Aug 19, 2015 at 12:07 PM

I wonder if it was Ibiza who bit the blokes ear off on the Jet2 flight.

• 70 Ron Knee // Aug 19, 2015 at 12:13 PM

I agree. Why not bet the farm and play attacking football against Manure? We’re going to lose anyway – probably.

• 71 Our Toon // Aug 19, 2015 at 12:15 PM

I said yesterday it’s not the amount we spend on or the quantity of players that come in but it has to be the right players. We’ve made some good signings, we don’t know who’s leaving yet and the biggest issue is that we haven’t sorted the defence out, and that’s our biggest problem

• 72 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 19, 2015 at 12:15 PM

TS…I haven’t seen enough of Thauvin either to from an opinion!

…the point against Man Utd is it’s a game we are expected to loose anyway. SM has set the team up twice now with a bench ready to change the game…but things has not gone accordingly;

Why not set the team up to actually win from the beginning?

• 73 Big Pappa Cissé // Aug 19, 2015 at 12:16 PM

Yeah I agree we should attack Man U and maybe even throw Thuavin in at the deep end :

• 74 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 19, 2015 at 12:17 PM

Ron…that’s my thinking mate 🙂

• 75 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 19, 2015 at 12:18 PM

BPC…I would probably throw Perez in there and keep Thauvin and Siem on the bench, but otherwise I totally agree with that offensive lineup!

• 76 Ron Knee // Aug 19, 2015 at 12:19 PM

Any room for Perez in your line-up?

• 77 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 19, 2015 at 12:20 PM

Our Toon…get in touch with the Wally 😉 …he doesn’t seem to get that! lol

• 78 SanD // Aug 19, 2015 at 12:22 PM

If we sit back and wait to see what ManU do we will get hammered. hit them hard from the off. Im sure with Aarons, Mitrovic, Gini and possibly thauvin could give them something to think about.

• 79 Big Pappa Cissé // Aug 19, 2015 at 12:29 PM

Yeah Probably Start Perez, then bring on Aarons to stretch tied legs .

• 80 Our Toon // Aug 19, 2015 at 12:30 PM

Lads I think we need to play the same formation we have been but making a few tweaks to how we play. Against Swansea we showed them repect and got picked off. If we attack man utd and go hung ho we lose, man utd haven’t been good at all so far. By attacking them we play into there hands. We need to press man utd as a team

• 81 Jib // Aug 19, 2015 at 12:31 PM

Sissoko won’t play he’s offmans

• 82 Ibizatoon // Aug 19, 2015 at 12:40 PM

Jib…Would that not get in the way of your “Ibiza has never been to Newcastle” line?

Still, wtf is wrong with some people?

• 83 Jib // Aug 19, 2015 at 12:43 PM

There was little kids on that flight , I hope the Guardia Civil gave him a good beating and they throw the key away.

• 84 SanD // Aug 19, 2015 at 12:52 PM

Big papa cisse – I think if their legs were tied we might stand a chance of winning.

• 85 Tsunki // Aug 19, 2015 at 12:52 PM

Time for midweek bingo I think, there’s nowt else happening. I expect Thors Van to be holed up in the Malmaison for three weeks while the cheques are wafted dry, so we’ll have to make our own entertainment until the manure pre match panic.

• 86 kimbo // Aug 19, 2015 at 12:55 PM

Sunderland shirt sponsors are DAFABET and they are 5/8 odds on with them to be relegated, well they must be happy with their deal. HaHaHa!!!!!

• 87 Ibizatoon // Aug 19, 2015 at 1:08 PM

Jib…I’d never hope the Guardia give anyone a good beating, but they probably did.

Disgusting behaviour whoever it was.

• 88 DaraghL // Aug 19, 2015 at 1:17 PM

Kimbo –

Brilliant marketing. You will look at Sunderland and think “these are woeful I’m putting £100 on them to go down…now where to bet? Oh Dafabet” Plenty of new customers 😉

• 89 Noel Worst // Aug 19, 2015 at 1:20 PM

HBA has more talent in his little toe than Thauvin will ever have overall. Any comparison is ludicrous.

• 90 SanD // Aug 19, 2015 at 1:20 PM

• 91 LGFUAD21 // Aug 19, 2015 at 1:23 PM

I say take the money for Sissoko.

He’s inconsistent out wide.
    Note productive enough to play no 10
    Not disciplined enough to play deeper in midfield.

With the money we have spent, we need to start selling some players to bring in more.

Sell Moussa – Gini, De Jong and Thauvin can cover for the various roles he has played recently (assuming we have 1 up top)

Use the money to bring in 1 more CB and a proper DM and a Winger/Attacker like Rolan

• 92 DaraghL // Aug 19, 2015 at 1:23 PM

Is there ever a post without mentioning HBA? The chap was lazy and thought because he scored 2 in 3 games he could win the Ballon D’Or. Loved to watch him play but he like Morrison, Taraabt and many more did not have the work ethic to fully utilize his talent.

He failed at Hull and is now at Nice….but ye blame Pardew.

• 93 LGFUAD21 // Aug 19, 2015 at 1:26 PM

Noel Worst

More talent but worse attitude.

You dont need as much talent as HBA if your attitude and application and commitment to a team is there.

I think people are taking the HBA comparisons too literal.

By saying Thauvin is like HBA I mean he is diret, he will get the ball run at goal, he can dribble at pace and he can take a man on.

HBA may have more tricks in his bag but he couldnt play as part of a team. And a selection of fans can continue to pin all the blame on Pardew but other managers have had issues with him too. Sometimes you have to ask why he is rotting away overweight at Nice?

• 94 SanD // Aug 19, 2015 at 1:26 PM

HBA is a very gifted player but didn’t put the hard work in to make a name for himself. Even the most talented players have to put the work in.

• 95 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Aug 19, 2015 at 1:31 PM

“I say take the money for Sissoko.”

Are people drunk here? Am I seeing the same games as everyone else.

A player to drags more players with him than anyone when he has the ball. enforcer, good runner, great stamina. Without him last game we were p1ss poor.

Granted he is not Toure but he is a GREAT asset currently. Who do we play in his shoes? Anita? Coleback? Please…

• 96 Mister Tuff // Aug 19, 2015 at 1:32 PM

The man getting his ear bitten off on the flight from Newcastle was indeed a disgraceful episode and people are quite right to be alarmed at such thuggisg behaviour – especially in front of children.However I fail to understand why someone who is shocked at this occurence, of someone being assaulted, would then advocate that it would be in order for the Spanish Police to beat the offender up.
    Strange logic.

• 97 SanD // Aug 19, 2015 at 1:33 PM

If HBA knew when to take a player on and when to make a pass he would have been a great TEAM member.

• 98 Mister Tuff // Aug 19, 2015 at 1:35 PM

Mr Tubbs …………………………………OOT
    Those advocating police brutality……OOT
    Bwave warriors………………………….IN

• 99 SanD // Aug 19, 2015 at 1:46 PM

hopefully no obertan this Saturday

• 100 LGFUAD21 // Aug 19, 2015 at 1:49 PM

Maybe but in think if we want to play as a team.

Last year we relied solely on moussa at times and as a result he is selfish.

Take West Ham last season. We could’ve scored 2 more if he got his head up.

When he’s on he’s on. But when he’s off he’s giving the ball away with poor touches. Opening us to counter attacks and is far from an enforcer.

In fact he offers very little defensively. I worry that we’ll do more harm than good trying to accommodate him like we did ba.

• 101 Jib // Aug 19, 2015 at 1:50 PM

It looks like Ellis Short is being found out at Scumberland.
    I always thought it was ironic that Ashley got so much flak while such a dodgy character as the American seemed to attract no criticism at all.

• 102 LGFUAD21 // Aug 19, 2015 at 1:51 PM

And we have a smarter player in gini to fill his role.

At 26 moussa is at peak value and ability and he’s hardly consistent.

• 103 Rotonda heights // Aug 19, 2015 at 1:51 PM

i do blame ap for playing hba for a full 90 mins on a plastic pitch in sub zero conditions after a 4 month injury lay off. hba was never the same after that.

• 104 Rotonda heights // Aug 19, 2015 at 1:53 PM

maybe something to do with their sponsor being a charity for underpriveliged kids in africa and ours is a legal loan shark.

• 105 Rotonda heights // Aug 19, 2015 at 1:54 PM

i would love to unleash a front 3 of perez, aarons and mitrovic.

• 106 SanD // Aug 19, 2015 at 1:54 PM

Are we signing HBA?

• 107 Transfer Sage // Aug 19, 2015 at 1:56 PM

I don’t think any of Ben Arfa’s problems were because of pardew, he has had the same problems his whole career.

For me the issue with HBA was more to do with his attitude. He couldn’t seem to motivate himself to be the best he could be and he hasn’t met anyone else in his career who has managed to really influence him and get him to his potential.

Not the first or the last to suffer that fate but it is a shame.

• 108 Our Toon // Aug 19, 2015 at 1:57 PM

Sissoko was playing in a team last year which he clearly looked like the man who had to carry them to score goals. Hence the selfishness, he was arguably one of the stand out performers against Southampton. Yes he sometimes has an awful touch, he will be greedy at times, but we will never find another player who gets us from 1 end to other as quick as he does or with the amount it takes to stop him.

We have plenty of others that need to go, why weaken the team in 1 area to improve it elsewhere?

• 109 Ian Toon // Aug 19, 2015 at 1:58 PM

Ben Arfa at the toon was perceived as lazy and unreliable. His relationship with Pardew became poisonous after being frozen out of the team and a rumoured bust up with the manager. HBA didn’t help his cause by talking publicly. It was interesting to note at the time the indifference towards him from the rest of the French players; he was a loner and bad for team morale. Interesting to note that nufc players past and present have said nothing in his favour subsequently. Steve Bruce was also extremely dismissive of him.
    By moving Ben Arfa on to Hull a rival club only made sense by strengthening Pardew’s own position at the club by the removal of a dissenting voice.
    I felt sorry for HBA following the Nigel de Jong tackle but at no time since. He simply has a history of wasting a talent and not learning that it had to be allied to hard work. Family members say give them Tony Green and Jimmy Smith any day.

• 110 Transfer Sage // Aug 19, 2015 at 1:58 PM

Agree on those three at the front, then have Colback, Sissoko and winjaldum behind them.

• 111 SanD // Aug 19, 2015 at 1:59 PM

It would certainly give the ManU defence something to think about and potentially stop their fullbacks bombing forward all the time.

• 112 jimmysmith // Aug 19, 2015 at 1:59 PM

Sissoko, Cisse and Thauvin, also looks pretty good. Pretty decent options in midfield too. At least on paper, and probably in reality given a few games.

• 113 Transfer Sage // Aug 19, 2015 at 1:59 PM

How do you rate our defence this year? Think we have enough?

I feel that we need a lot more currently than we have. Without a solid foundation you put way too much pressure on the attack to get 2/3 goals to even grab a point.

• 114 hibbit // Aug 19, 2015 at 2:01 PM

over the years we have had so many players who promised a lot but gave so little HBA was just another one

• 115 Noel Worst // Aug 19, 2015 at 2:01 PM

Thauvin is crap at dribbling. Even in his highlights clips the times he takes on a man successfully are scarce and he’s prone to overrunning the ball.

Also at pace is relative, Obertan, Aarons and Sissoko are quicker than him.

He won’t cut it.

• 116 Our Toon // Aug 19, 2015 at 2:01 PM

As for consistency there’s only 3 or 4 players in the world who consistently play well every week.

• 117 terencelim // Aug 19, 2015 at 2:01 PM

Ashley OUT

• 118 will die for the toon army // Aug 19, 2015 at 2:02 PM

Thauvin. ………………Mitrovic……………………Perez
    Darlow, Taylor, Anita, Tiote, De Jong, Aarons, Cisse.
    That is a good team but better if Abdennour is in it and Colo on the bench.

• 119 Jib // Aug 19, 2015 at 2:02 PM

Rotonda heights

Really !!!!!

Naive fool

Watch and learn

• 120 SanD // Aug 19, 2015 at 2:03 PM

Have you seen thauvin play in the premier league?
    Give him a chance before writing him off.

• 121 Our Toon // Aug 19, 2015 at 2:04 PM

Thanks for that insight buddy, maybe you could apply for a role with Dennis wise if he gets another job? You could both sit amd watch youtube highlight reels and decide who good and who’s not!!

• 122 maggpie // Aug 19, 2015 at 2:05 PM

I’m really worried about Thauvin. Just watched a utube clip supposedly showcasing his talents and what I mainly saw was mis-directed passes, overhit crosses and poor shots. And these were his best bits.
    I desperately hope I’m wrong but I see another massive flop and waste of money.

• 123 nut meg // Aug 19, 2015 at 2:06 PM

Ian Toon
    Tony Green without a doubt, Jimmy Smith was the same as HBA…talented but with the same serious flaws, both a waste of space.

• 124 Our Toon // Aug 19, 2015 at 2:08 PM

I know alot of you like colback bit after getting schooled by Shelvey and Mane in 2 weeks do you really think he’s a good option to sit in front of the defence? Can’t tackle, isn’t combative or strong….will allow Mata to pick passes all day long.

If memory serves me right last season Colback allowed Rooney to run off him twice to score goals at Old Trafford. Rooney occupying the no 10 role, JC ball watching

• 125 Ian Toon // Aug 19, 2015 at 2:09 PM

Given the fickle nature of the blog fan base , an indifferent start to the season and a trip to Old Trafford scheduled I am nevertheless sensing
    that the question of high expectations need not be addressed at this
    The posts on ” more than a few windows” for Macca to get it right are in line with my thinking of a sense of progression over time. This as I outlined this morning is the way to bridge the gulf in the PL and a fundamental part of Macca’s Brave new world in what will be a root and branch review of the whole club.
    I agree with Lilongwe ‘s far sighted comments for change starting with the academy coaches. Just why do we have so few academy players progressing to the first team and playing In the PL.

• 126 Our Toon // Aug 19, 2015 at 2:09 PM

I can put together a youtube clip of Messi and Ronaldo which I can name as best bits but it’ll contain bad touches, poor shots, misplaced passes etc.

• 127 martoon // Aug 19, 2015 at 2:10 PM

Rotonda heights @104 – I seem to remember that ended in tears – their sponsor is a betting company now. not much better than a loan company imo!

• 128 hibbit // Aug 19, 2015 at 2:12 PM

ian toon……tony green none better

• 129 Ian Toon // Aug 19, 2015 at 2:16 PM

Our toon – I covered this in my post match post bulletin.
    Colback was one of our most consistent performers last season and one of the better players this. Can’t tackle!!
    The problem is that he and Anita( who I don’t rate) are playing too deep to protect the CB’s. Simply he’s doing too much. A fit Tiote would be more combative but in an eadvanced position.

• 130 SanD // Aug 19, 2015 at 2:16 PM

To say someone won’t make it in the premier league when they haven’t played a premier league game is ridiculous. Players like Torres were successful at liverpool, had a fantastic goal record, moved to Chelsea and done nothing.

• 131 Ian Toon // Aug 19, 2015 at 2:17 PM

He didn’t play very long did he ? Half a season?

• 132 Ian Toon // Aug 19, 2015 at 2:18 PM

My dad says he was similar in style to davide silva – so must have been some player.

• 133 nut meg // Aug 19, 2015 at 2:19 PM

What happened with Tony Green was a tragedy.One season with us & now a genuine legend says it all really. What he could have become eh,at least we were lucky enough to witness a footballing great in the making.

• 134 hibbit // Aug 19, 2015 at 2:21 PM

ian because the academy is so poorly run no way should beardsley get any where near our players very poor coach on par with carver and stone just cannot get his message across very bad tempered and moody just not suitable for the job……great player poor coach

• 135 Offkey // Aug 19, 2015 at 2:24 PM

Any rocket leugue fans on here? As in true geordie rocket league…

• 136 Offkey // Aug 19, 2015 at 2:24 PM

willo – 2m
    Vuckic – 3m
    Fergie – 1m
    Bigi – 1m
    Abeid – 2m
    Total = 19m
    Net spent: 42m. ( which we have in the bank)

GK: Krul, Darlow, Elliott
    RB: Janmaat
    LB: Haidara, Dummett
    CB: Abdennour, Mbemba, Colo, Taylor, Lascelles
    CM: Sissoko, Wijnaldum, Colback, Anita, De Jong, Tiote
    WF: Perez, Obertan, Thauvin, Aarons.
    CF: Mitrovic, Cisse, Rivere.

First team:

Back up:
    Obertan…………..De Jong………….Aarons
    Balance: Rivere and Elliott.
    Good squad Top 10.

• 138 Mag52 // Aug 19, 2015 at 2:27 PM

HBA was in the wrong sport.
    He’s not a team player and never will be. He should take up golf. He’s not too old to become pretty proficient at it.
    I can picture him body swerving between the bunkers. What a sight !

• 139 Offkey // Aug 19, 2015 at 2:30 PM

A fat hba is better than obertan…….

• 140 will die for the toon army // Aug 19, 2015 at 2:30 PM

I dont think Mcca rates Perez the way we rate him. Come on start the Spanish lad and see some good forward thinking and runs tirelessly.
    Doesnt Mcca hv last season games?

• 141 jimmysmith // Aug 19, 2015 at 2:33 PM

For the purists, some rare footage of the venerable Tony Green, playing against a Man U side including Best, Law, Charlton and strangely a youthful, lumbering and somewhat out of place Alan Gowling. Supermac up top for us. Green is instrumental in setting up a great opener for our very own John Tudor around the 13 and a half minute mark. Lots of familiar names all over the pitch. McFaul, Clark, Moncur, Hibbit, Gibb, Craig, and the excellent Irving Nattrass the lone substitute.

• 142 will die for the toon army // Aug 19, 2015 at 2:37 PM

Mccaz 4-2-3-1.
    Darlow, Colo, Anita, Tiote/Obertan, Aarons, De Jong, Cisse.

• 143 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 19, 2015 at 3:37 PM