The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Former Top Newcastle Defensive Target Now For Sale

3:09 pm, Thursday, August 20th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 217 Comments

It looks like Celtic are finally willing to sell their Dutch U21 International center-back Virgil van Dijk, who has been at Celtic for two years now, and Newcastle were interested in him while he was still playing for Groningen in Holland..

In fact almost exactly a year ago, there were various reports in the Scotsman saying that Newcastle were trying to sign the 24 year-old Dutchman, but it didn’t go through – after we had allowed Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa to leave for Roma on the last day of last summer’s transfer window.

Virgil Van Dijk Celtic -Stoke-599476

Virgil van Dijk – available for transfer

Managing Director Le Charnley has since said that Newcastle had a player lined up to replace Mapou,  but that we couldn’t do the deal in the time that was left – so maybe that was van Dijk.

The clubs said to be interested in the 6’4″ center-back do not include Newcastle however, but Southampton, Sunderland and Everton are all said to be interested – with Stoke City today said to be preparing a bid for the skillful defender.

Celtic scout David Moss has said this today about Celtic’s transfer strategy:

“It is very difficult recruiting the right players for Celtic for the following reasons. Premier League clubs receive £80M-£100M each year from SKY/BT in comparison to the approximate £2.5M Celtic receive.”

“We therefore cannot compete for players in the Premier League and even against most Championship clubs.” “We are targeting players valued under £2.5M.”

“But we are still seeking players who can compete in Champions League games and have the potential to be sold to the Premier League or other top European teams within two years.”

“In recent seasons we have done well working to this strategy with Fraser Forster, Victor Wanyama and Gary Hooper selling for £10M, £12M and £6M respectively.”

“Virgil van Dijk will also probably be sold for in excess of these figures in the coming weeks.”

The news is that both the Saints and the Black Cats have bid for the Dutchman but have had their bids turned down – and it seems that Stoke City will be the next club to make an offer.

With Steve McClaren now the head coach, it’s difficult to know if Newcastle may be interested in still signing van Dijk – maybe not – but Celtic are willing to sell – for the right fee.

Newcastle have been linked with Monaco center-back Aymen Abdennour, who may be our number one target – but if Newcastle could get van Dijk through the door, we’d be happy enough.

Virgil has played 112 times for Celtic over the last two seasons with 15 goals, and would probably cost up to £10M.

Tags: Newcastle News · Recruitment · Scouting Network · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

217 responses so far ↓

• 1 JamesToon // Aug 20, 2015 at 3:12 PM

Get either VVD or Abdennour in please ashley and charnley

• 2 JAMSHA // Aug 20, 2015 at 3:12 PM

Ok Next ….. Austin still Fav To Sign For Nufc

• 3 Brian Pinas // Aug 20, 2015 at 3:13 PM

Dutch manager, former Cetic players, good relationship with Celtic from previous transfers, European football. I think he’ll go to Southampton.

That’s fine if we get Abdennour.

• 4 JackButler // Aug 20, 2015 at 3:14 PM

Firstly I still think Carr is the loudest voice when it comes to who comes in.

Secondly this player would be a great addition, has pace, power, strong In the air and is calm as hell.

Offer some of our fringe player to try and sweeten the deal

• 5 melt // Aug 20, 2015 at 3:16 PM

I fear the Van Dijk money has gone directly in the hands of Olympique Marseille.

I can’t really complain, it’s not what I’d have done, but I thought we were done once Mbemba arrived. One more name was a plus anyway.

• 6 sweendog // Aug 20, 2015 at 3:17 PM

not sure who I’d prefer I’d take either
    Van Djik is less injury prone and plays is a similar physical league to the premiership
    Abdennour – better player more injury prone, more expensive. If fit I’d like him.
    I’ve a feeling we’ve got Van Djik as we are only competing with Stoke, as everton have signed a CB and Southampton got one on loan.

• 7 Brian Pinas // Aug 20, 2015 at 3:18 PM

Van Dijk wont be going anywhere until after the second leg against Malmo. They need the revenue of getting to the group stages.

• 8 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 20, 2015 at 3:21 PM

In all the time Janmaat has been here I cannot recall a period of a few games when you could say, “He’s better than your average PL full back”. I honestly believe that fans tend to see the good in their own players because they want to believe in them. They’d rather look for excuses rather than criticise, certainly with new signings. Even I’m prepared to give a player a season.

Janmaat may be as good as people say. All I’m saying is that he was average at best last season, taking the season as a whole. So far this season he’s had an absolute stinker.

• 9 Tsunki // Aug 20, 2015 at 3:21 PM

“Stop being cynics” I hear – oh dear. That’s music to Mike’s ears.

• 10 Our Toon // Aug 20, 2015 at 3:22 PM

For 5m he’s a solid player, 2 years ago many voted Williamson as best player in a season, I take things like that with a pinch of salt. I agree with what some have said in regards to lack of competition for him, I can remember many times last season he was poor defensively last season as well, especially Southampton game where he was schooled by Elia.

Either way we have the lad and I hope he bounces back stronger from this start he’s had but Janmaat needs to up his game as well

• 11 JP...from The Rock // Aug 20, 2015 at 3:22 PM

I always rated this guy and he can score goals which is a rare comodity for a CB. He’s dutch too so should settle in well. I think he has what it takes to be a success in the Premier League. Either Van Dijk or Abdennour and I’ll be very happy. Doubt Van Dijk will be another Boumsong!

• 12 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 20, 2015 at 3:25 PM

Anyone watching Van Diyk the other night for the first time must be thinking, “Oh no. Son of Colo.” Well I am.

Howay man. Scotland can even make Vuckic look good.

• 13 JackButler // Aug 20, 2015 at 3:25 PM

Would Celtic take the likes of Saylor, Biggi, Vikic as part of the deal as if they would it could kill two birds with one stone…………..didn’t throw Willo in to the mix as that would scupper any chance

• 14 melt // Aug 20, 2015 at 3:30 PM

Blackley and Brownlie,

Mate, I’m completely with you when it comes to home fans and inherent bias, and I’ve loved Janmaat ever since I stood in the open rain and saw him going absolutely off his nut at the back line all game during that 1-0 win at Gillingham in the Capital Cup last year. There may be some bias, howver if stats are your thing, here’s Janmaat compared defensively to Coleman, Clyne, Jenkinson and Joel Ward|premier_league/2014/2015/seamus_coleman/165/126/467/0/p|premier_league/2014/2015/nathaniel_clyne/126/126/751/43/p|premier_league/2014/2015/joel_ward/165/126/5187/0/p|premier_league/2014/2015/carl_jenkinson/165/126/393/49/p#tackles_won/aerial_duels_won/interceptions/defensive_errors/blocks/clearances#avg

He doesn’t do too badly my friend, and defence is his worst trait. He’s certainly not ‘poor’ defensively.

• 15 Jib // Aug 20, 2015 at 3:41 PM

• 16 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 20, 2015 at 3:42 PM

• 17 DaraghL // Aug 20, 2015 at 3:44 PM

I am a big Janmaat fan but there is no chance he is better than Coleman. Show me as many stats as you like, they never cover reading of the game, off the ball runs etc. Terrific player.

• 18 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 20, 2015 at 3:45 PM

• 19 Mister Tuff // Aug 20, 2015 at 3:49 PM

I’m not sure Janmaat track back all that well, or certainly every time.
    I recall on Saturdays game he had ran forward a long way and eventually Swans got the ball back – I noticed Janmaat walking back. Whilst he might have busted a gut getting forward he certainly didn’t bust a gut getting back.
    Having said that he is a very decent player.

• 20 melt // Aug 20, 2015 at 3:50 PM

I’m not saying he is a better player than Coleman at all, I’m just saying he;s not lightyears away defensively.

Coleman is obviously streets ahead offensively but isn’t all that defensively, which reminds me of comparisons to a certain curly haired nutjob

• 21 SanD // Aug 20, 2015 at 3:52 PM

Janmaat getting a bashing today. I bet bet most voted him best player last season.

• 22 SanD // Aug 20, 2015 at 3:53 PM

Virgil van Dijk – make it happen

• 23 JackButler // Aug 20, 2015 at 3:54 PM

It goes in circles mate, someone always has to be public enemy No# 1, if it’s not Jaanmat, it’s Cisse or Anita

• 24 Our Toon // Aug 20, 2015 at 3:54 PM

Not seen much of VVD at celtic but know quite a few rate him highly on here. Would be interesting to see how he’d do in the prem!!

• 25 melt // Aug 20, 2015 at 3:56 PM

Don’t start me on Cisse

• 26 Tsunki // Aug 20, 2015 at 3:56 PM

Well Willo hasn’t been playing lately so it’s difficult to pick a favourite target. Getting sent off in a lame way does help to make a choice though.

• 27 JackButler // Aug 20, 2015 at 3:56 PM

Our toon

Let’s be honest mate, you or I would be an upgrade on what we have and I’ve got a dodgy knee 🙂

• 28 will die for the toon army // Aug 20, 2015 at 3:56 PM

We are still signing coz I bet Mcca jst doesnt want yo keep hopes too high.

Rolan and Abdennour fingers crossed

• 29 DaraghL // Aug 20, 2015 at 3:57 PM

Melt –

I’m definitely biased as an Irishman but he is our best player and has been superb defensively for Ireland. Maybe he’s a different player for Everton.

• 30 hibbit // Aug 20, 2015 at 3:58 PM

jammaat is like a lot of players he needs someone pushing him for that spot he knows no matter what its his..he needs a bit of a push…. byram anyone

• 31 Our Toon // Aug 20, 2015 at 3:59 PM

San D & JB

Doesn’t say much about last season does it. I call it highlighting weaknesses rather than bashing. The time I have bashed him this week was when I said he was a coward for the way he got sent off. If someone’s not good defensively ie Williamson isn’t good on the ball, it’s not bashing Williamson is it?

• 32 Our Toon // Aug 20, 2015 at 4:00 PM

I really hope we do get a CB buddy otherwise all this window will have been about is to get players with potentially very good resale value.

• 33 Brian Pinas // Aug 20, 2015 at 4:03 PM

Janmaat got tore up by Montero just like Ivanovic did. He’ll do it to the Mackem’s right back on Saturday as well.

Looking forward to that.

• 34 Our Toon // Aug 20, 2015 at 4:03 PM

Would any of you take a punt on Yedlin of spurs, they have 3 or 4 rbs at present, he’d be cheap and can play on wing as well.

Coleman is exceptional especially as an attacking threat but he’s also good defensively

• 35 Mag52 // Aug 20, 2015 at 4:03 PM

Ed, you are fond of using the expression ‘flash the cash’ when writing about Ashley’s spending so far in the transfer window, but it can only be called flashing in comparison with what we have seen in recent years from him.
    Stirling cost Man.City as much as we have spent on 5 players to date, and an average spend of 12.5 million is no big deal these days in the premiership.
    Don’t get me wrong. I’m happy to see somemoney being spent on what we all hope turn out to be talented players, but the outlay so far does not do much more than redress, to some extent, the woeful underinvestment of recent years.

• 36 Our Toon // Aug 20, 2015 at 4:05 PM

Unlike Janmaat, Ivanovic didnt give up after 40mins

• 37 TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa // Aug 20, 2015 at 4:05 PM

JackButler // Aug 20, 2015 at 3:25 PM

the play here is send them harris as part of the deal. He killed it at rangers, what a great way to stick it to their old nemesis.

• 38 JackButler // Aug 20, 2015 at 4:06 PM

Our toon

No issue with people being critical of a players performance, but some on here have now turned on Jaanmat and calling him poor etc etc etc .

The set up at the club is not conducive for him to be at 100% as he has no competition for his place to make him pull the best out of himself. I think it’s the same with Colo as under Pardew he was always played if fit, players need to be dropped if they under perform but sadly our squad is still that weak that we can’t replace players who don’t perform.

Hopefully this window is gonna put a lot of that right

• 39 JackButler // Aug 20, 2015 at 4:07 PM

That would a deal that would appeal to Ashley after the whole Rangers debacle

• 40 TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa // Aug 20, 2015 at 4:08 PM

i think janmat is VERY underrated going backward. He was excellent at CB, he could easily play there if we get a RB. i also think he is the ideal if we play 3 at the back, but thats not happening

• 41 Thump // Aug 20, 2015 at 4:10 PM

@TacoFalvoredKisses: He’s well suited to a 5 man defence, I reckon – playing slightly higher up, not having to worry so much about tracking back as much. But the question stands: can we do it? Every time we’ve tried playing that formation we’ve been smashed.

• 42 will die for the toon army // Aug 20, 2015 at 4:12 PM

If we sign;.
    1. Abdennour/Mbemba
    2. Wijnaldum / Thauvin
    3. Mitrovic / Austin or Rolan

Is Mike Ashley forgiven?

• 43 WWSBRD // Aug 20, 2015 at 4:14 PM

will die

• 44 Sliema // Aug 20, 2015 at 4:15 PM

Will die

But it will be a start.

• 45 JackButler // Aug 20, 2015 at 4:15 PM

Will die

After everything he’s done spending some money doesn’t begin to bridge the gap he’s created

• 46 mickalfas // Aug 20, 2015 at 4:17 PM

I’d get rid of Willo for penfolds hobnobs

• 47 Sliema // Aug 20, 2015 at 4:18 PM

I’ll not be happy until we change shirt sponsors anyway.

• 48 Sliema // Aug 20, 2015 at 4:20 PM

Our toon

I don’t think Yedlin would be cheap. Loan with a view to buying might be tempting enough for spurs though.

• 49 hibbit // Aug 20, 2015 at 4:20 PM

i dont know a lot about adbannour but i have been talking to a couple of lads that follow french football both work for boro scouting team …….there opinion ..when he is on the pitch big strong fearless very verbal very good with his head calm on the ball……. against……spends a lot of time on the treatment table not a good thing with nufc medical team ……….my choice would be van dijk

• 50 JackButler // Aug 20, 2015 at 4:39 PM

Oh no Ed,more ports suggesting Austin to have medical at Sunderland after clubs agree fee for the striker 🙁 frawny face all round

• 51 JackButler // Aug 20, 2015 at 4:39 PM

More port???????

• 52 lochinvar // Aug 20, 2015 at 4:44 PM

Originally I though Van Dijk was the obvious choice and he may be. However are Celtic panicking into putting him on the open market because we have an interest in Abdennour and they can see the opportunity of an Ashley pay day diminishing. Somehow from what I see most on the blog most think Abdennour is the one for us and that he may well fit the model of overseas players who can get experience with NUFC in the Premier League and if we do well great. They also have the possibility of moving up onto Champions leagues teams. It’s almost as if a cartel is operating. The top European teams with rich backers agree to bid for a named group of super players who are over valued to price them out of the reach of non European Champions League clubs. Then the next group of players are available to the likes of us, Spuds and Everton. After that there is a lower priced group ( under £5m) available to the lower teams such as the Mackems and newly promoted teams like Watford etc . I can see two more players even three this window coming and then the late off load of others before the window closes.

• 53 will die for the toon army // Aug 20, 2015 at 4:44 PM

I dont think Mike will ever b forgiven even if we win EPL or a Trophy.

But we are really on a good financial footing. Our Cart is really strong. We had 37m in the bank before Santon-3m , Mbiwa-5.5m, Pardew & Woodman – 2.5m bringing the money to £42m.

No TV money yet for this year. And if Charnely really good he can only use that money to improve the squad.

Playing Charnely:

Rivere – 4m
    Willo – 2m
    TOTAL = 26m

NET SPENT = 43m

• 54 lochinvar // Aug 20, 2015 at 4:45 PM

Jack Butler
    No port was better – make mine a large one,, cheers

• 55 JackButler // Aug 20, 2015 at 4:51 PM

• 56 LGFUAD21 // Aug 20, 2015 at 4:54 PM

Will die. I’m sure the £37 mil in the bank was before last years summer spend.

• 57 LGFUAD21 // Aug 20, 2015 at 4:55 PM

Please send that to all your mackem friends.

• 58 JackButler // Aug 20, 2015 at 4:56 PM

Mackem friends???

How very dare you Sir!!!

• 59 Our Toon // Aug 20, 2015 at 4:57 PM

Southampton are favourites for Van Dijk, he has quite a few suitors so I doubt celtic pay much attention to a twitter rumour about Abdennour

• 60 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 20, 2015 at 5:00 PM

JB #55…it will break Yo’s heart 😉

• 61 JackButler // Aug 20, 2015 at 5:02 PM

He’s stronger than we give him credit for 😉

• 62 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 20, 2015 at 5:02 PM

JB I thought you was being serious hahaha

• 63 JackButler // Aug 20, 2015 at 5:04 PM

Hahahaha, by all account they couldn’t even afford his train fair 🙂

• 64 CypriotDelight // Aug 20, 2015 at 5:12 PM

To be fair I didn’t expect this many players for this much cash to come in so I am holding out for more surprises 🙂
    The end of the transfer window will reveal the exact intent but I will enjoy the craziness in the meantime.

I hope we show up better this weekend but it will take time to turn this ship!
    I have put the scum down for a win on my footie predictor so we are bound to at least get a point lol

• 65 Jail for Ashley // Aug 20, 2015 at 5:21 PM

Nope !
    The window isn’t closed yet so could still see some criminally insane decisions being made. I remember exactly one year ago when every, fan, pundit and journalist/columnist said we need to buy a forward and a CB, they done the exact polar opposite and sold the very positions we needed to strengthen, with the puppet Pardew explaining that it was a good move ???

• 66 JackButler // Aug 20, 2015 at 5:21 PM

Just read Leighton James comments regarding us being up for relegation, well my fellow Welshman is the type that says things for reactions sake, he was a very good player but truth be told he could be Robbie Savages dad with all the BS he spews out in the media, not to mention the Sunderland link in his playing days

• 67 JackButler // Aug 20, 2015 at 5:23 PM

I think some of us are preparing for the inevitable kick in the balls that history tells us in being wound up.

It would be nice to be proven wrong but………..!

• 68 JP...from The Rock // Aug 20, 2015 at 5:25 PM

Watching the game vs Swansea again and Colo is just awful. Can’t head the ball away in the box to save his life, hopeless. Also we’re lightweight at the centre of the park. We need more presence in CM. Anita is too lightweight. Wijnaldum also looked to be shrugged off the ball early but probably still adapting to the league and Colback is OK but doesn’t offer much. I think we should look to replace Anita. Doesn’t seem good enough for us. Mbemba looks like he’ll do well for us and Obertan tbf has been too bad of late.

We need players to improve on Colo and Anita ASAP.

• 69 will die for the toon army // Aug 20, 2015 at 5:27 PM

Last summer was the worst window. Signed De Jong, Cabella, Rivere and they were a disappointment.

Then we lost out on Gomis, Lacazatte and Alderweild.

Carr and Charnely really failed last summer.

• 70 CypriotDelight // Aug 20, 2015 at 5:28 PM

JB – been preparing for that for a while but with my fingers crossed I am expecting more signings with only a few going t’other way. Prob way off the mark but hope knows no limits and the tide must change one day.
    After all, the sun must shine on every dogs arse at least once 🙂

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. HWTL

• 71 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 20, 2015 at 5:29 PM

As much as I hate Swansea I hate Sunderland more and I can see Swansea knocking in plenty at the Stadium of Shyte

• 72 Jail for Ashley // Aug 20, 2015 at 5:31 PM

The last I heard was that Carr and Charnley aren’t multi billionaires and couldn’t raise the extra wages Gomis wanted.

• 73 JackButler // Aug 20, 2015 at 5:34 PM

I’d love to be proven wrong and I honestly hope I am, time will tell I guess

• 74 Jail for Ashley // Aug 20, 2015 at 5:35 PM

I apologise for previously suggesting you were stupid, I didn’t realise you were an overseas fan who probably doesn’t get much involved with the politics of the club.

• 75 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 20, 2015 at 5:35 PM

• 76 Jail for Ashley // Aug 20, 2015 at 5:37 PM

Nothing would make me happier to see the multi billionaire Mike Ashley treat us like a football club rather than a marketing tool.

• 77 JackButler // Aug 20, 2015 at 5:39 PM

So a club sponsored by a loan shark is now sponsoring a betting company!!!

I swear you couldn’t make this up

• 78 will die for the toon army // Aug 20, 2015 at 5:40 PM

U r entitled to our opinion. We r bound to disagree sometimes.

• 79 JackButler // Aug 20, 2015 at 5:41 PM

We will always be a marketing tool for him mate, that will never change

• 80 Jail for Ashley // Aug 20, 2015 at 5:43 PM

Yup, should have said just a marketing tool. Would have no problem with SD shirt sponsor even SD coloured away shirts if he was also interested in making us successful.

• 81 JackButler // Aug 20, 2015 at 5:46 PM

Exactly mate, it’s what we do on the pitch and how the fans are treated that counts

• 82 will die for the toon army // Aug 20, 2015 at 5:47 PM

I think we r his tool and he entitled to do any thing. I think it comes out to experience. Lets give them time.
    May b that’s why he stood down. Foitball is crazy.

He wld have gone out and got a football person with experience. But Mike believes in InHouse promotion. Thats why we r stuck with Charnely.

• 83 CypriotDelight // Aug 20, 2015 at 5:47 PM

JB, Jail,
    I hope for a u turn by Ashley and wish that the ghosts of past, present and future have visited him but in all reality it is prob a change of affairs to suit his end goals.

I am hoping for some big money cb player to come in and no one of good stock to go out. I am hoping for a different plan to be implemented and for the team to progress to glory.
    Hope is there but so is the voice of reason tutting and shaking his head.

Time will tell. I hope we are all wrong 🙂

• 84 Ravostag // Aug 20, 2015 at 5:48 PM

Give the Scots Willo for Van Dyk plus a shed load of cash

• 85 Jail for Ashley // Aug 20, 2015 at 5:48 PM

Mikeys opening a legal high shop to get local underprivileged kids cheaper drugs. Is there no end to this mans charitable nature. We should rename Barrack Road “The Mikey Way”

• 86 9 // Aug 20, 2015 at 5:49 PM

will die @69
    I hear what you say, but you’re wrong mate. The most criminal transfer window was last January when we got rid of two defenders and a manager and replaced NONE of them. Weakening the squad immenseley – weakening!! At least the (admittedly useless) signings you mention were an ATTEMPT to srengthen, hopeless as it has turned out.

• 87 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 20, 2015 at 5:53 PM

Jack Butler @38
    I dont think anyone has turned on Janmaat. Everyone would love him to do well.

When loads of fans had him down as player of the season and were raving about his quality, I was taking a lie down with a few pills, thinking I must have had a funny turn. The poor lad’s had an absolute stinker so far this season, but you could see plenty signs of his deficiencies at various times throughout last season. For a start, the lad lacks pace and simply can’t cope with a quick winger. That’s why he’s looked more comfortable in the middle IMO.

You’re making excuses for him and Colo by implying it’s not really their fault as they’ve got no competition. If you’re a good player, playing in front of big crowds and on the nation’s TV, do you need any more motivation? This is not the Tyneside Sunday League where you can get p1ssed on a Friday and Saturday, then get dragged out of bed on a Sunday to make up the numbers, have a smoke, wipe your arse on your team mate’s sock, jog around for 90, score a couple and win man of the match.

• 88 will die for the toon army // Aug 20, 2015 at 5:53 PM

You are spot on. Worst ever.

• 89 CypriotDelight // Aug 20, 2015 at 6:00 PM

I remember being in afghan when this very private multi-millionaire hermit took over Newcastle Utd and thinking that our time to progress had arrived…..
    Eight years later I am now hoping that this questionable owner has been reborn and our time to shine has started.

Just goes to show that when you wear your heart on your sleeve the word mug is written on your head 😉

• 90 matt11_25 // Aug 20, 2015 at 6:05 PM

CypriotDelight.. I remember being in a cardigan

• 91 hibbit // Aug 20, 2015 at 6:10 PM

cyrpiot delight….. your not alone

• 92 CypriotDelight // Aug 20, 2015 at 6:10 PM

Matt, I am assuming that was a better place to be 😉

It is a very vivid memory as all the Toon fans sat around speculating on what greatness was to come…

Hindsight can be quite depressing ha ha

• 93 Jail for Ashley // Aug 20, 2015 at 6:11 PM

Worst window ever was after we finished fifth. A pointless, senseless, absolutely crazy, it was like a very deliberate attempt to absolutely prove that they did not want success.

• 94 CypriotDelight // Aug 20, 2015 at 6:11 PM

Cheers hibbit 🙂
    Black and White mugs together lol

• 95 Jail for Ashley // Aug 20, 2015 at 6:18 PM

What made it worse was when that 19M was spent in January, what a boost that would have been to the team before the season started, we might not have finished fifth again but there would have been a real feel good factor around the place and we wouldn’t have the ill feeling surrounding the place now.

• 96 Belfast // Aug 20, 2015 at 6:19 PM

Remember shepherd being in hospital or something and it was delaying the takeover ? Sell your shares Freddie you kernt this blokes a billionaire Haha

Turns out the billionaire was a bit of an arsewipe.

• 97 GeordieTwo // Aug 20, 2015 at 6:22 PM

Colo is done. He’s 33 now and too small. You can’t put someone on the pitch who can’t do the complete job of a CB without paying for it. Our goal difference over the last few seasons is a team problem but it starts in goal and with the back 4. None of them, including Janmaat and Krul have been consistently good in defending. Janmaat can be very decent going forward but is only an average defender at best. Willo is shocking. Colo has skill but is not big enough and never has been. Saylor is an inconsistent sick note. Haidara is not a great defender either. Nor is Dummett a good, complete LB. We have a very weak defense. Bringing in one player (Mbemba) isn’t going to fix that. The club is blind when it comes to defending.

• 98 CypriotDelight // Aug 20, 2015 at 6:23 PM

Bad decisions followed by fire fighting hey Jail….

Remember slagging Freddy off Belfast – the grass was always gonna b greener hey

• 99 GeordieTwo // Aug 20, 2015 at 6:26 PM

The club can’t improve much on last season without at least 3 more incoming, all in the back 4. We have one of the worst defenses in the Prem (second worst goals allowed last season). That can’t be argued about. It is all there in the records. The only way to change that is to change the personnel.

• 100 GeordieTwo // Aug 20, 2015 at 6:27 PM

And if time permits, give the owner a good fonging at the first opportunity (hopefully our next home match). Harrumph.

• 101 CypriotDelight // Aug 20, 2015 at 6:27 PM

The club isn’t blind to the def issues G2 it is blinkered for some reason? Perhaps Colo does have too much influence behind the scenes….scary thought

• 102 Tsunki // Aug 20, 2015 at 6:28 PM

Well tomorrow’s defensive line up is going to be a light entertainment show. I suppose by virtue of it being manure well be on MoTD pretty early. See all 6 goals before bedtime.

• 103 GeordieTwo // Aug 20, 2015 at 6:33 PM

Yes, CypriotDelight and Tsunki. The Colo thing is weird indeed. He’s wanted away for years now yet they continue to treat him like he’s still 25 and in his national side. Depay will have a field day against us on the weekend. If you watched him in the week against Club Brugges you’ll know what I mean mates.

• 104 Jib // Aug 20, 2015 at 6:34 PM

If we get a good pasting off Man Utdd I may watch it 7 times 😎

• 105 Tsunki // Aug 20, 2015 at 6:39 PM

Jeff that self harm things not the way to go 🙂

• 106 9 // Aug 20, 2015 at 6:40 PM

Bad as it was not to strengthen after finishing5th, that comes nowhere near close to weakening x3 last Jan. It beggars belief anyone could do that. I’m learning now they thought they could replace YangaMbiwa but (showing incompetence) didn’t manage it.
    Geordie @97
    You’re spot on – these statistics don’t lie. Krul was fantastic but note the use of the past tense. I can’t have Willo as bad as everyone else (3 headed goals in the first 2 matches without him – he can head a ball, nobody can deny) WE NEED A BETTER CH!!

• 107 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 20, 2015 at 6:40 PM

Man Ure aren’t pulling up any trees I reckon it’ll be a 1-1 draw

• 108 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 20, 2015 at 6:41 PM

Now that you’ve watched the Swansea game five times, what have you discovered that you can tell the rest of us about?

• 109 Belfast // Aug 20, 2015 at 6:41 PM

Yep poor Fred was very ill and hospital and nobody gave a hoot lol Just sell your shares f*** sake this bloke is loaded.

It all started so well too. Remember Chirs Mort ? He was a nice chap. Sacking fat Sham and replacing him with Keegan great stuff.

We’ve basically lurched from one disaster to the next from that point.

• 110 GeordieTwo // Aug 20, 2015 at 6:42 PM

In your dreams possibly Take a Chancel mate. They’ll have us for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We are extremely poor at defending and have lost our last 7 away games on the trot for a reason. We’re dismal at the back.

• 111 Jail for Ashley // Aug 20, 2015 at 6:42 PM

Good evening, don’t think we’ve been acquainted. BandB seems to think that our want away captain was instrumental in getting some players signed up to the bonus scheme, hence the special treatment. That’s the original BandB not the raving lunatic Blackas.

• 112 GeordieTwo // Aug 20, 2015 at 6:43 PM

Shepard looks like a large hog who’s been overfed for years. Most of it on the club’s money.

• 113 GeordieTwo // Aug 20, 2015 at 6:44 PM

Fong that plonker Shepard! Fong him I say!!!!

• 114 Menelauos // Aug 20, 2015 at 6:45 PM

We just need a young right back as back up to Janmaat. I don’t know why we don’t go for both Van Djik and Adam Matthews. Swap them Willo and Gouffran.
    Failing that another good right back under the radar is Arias from PSV, quick and strong, and I think he is better at swinging the ball in than Janmaat. If got them in we would have made a great start to building a team worthy of Europe.

• 115 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 20, 2015 at 6:46 PM

Colo is now a massive embarrassment. Krul now has more competition yet his performances haven’t improved. Typical de Jong – injured. Typical Newcastle – de Jong snd Sissoko injured. I’ll be watching the TV through my fingers.

• 116 Ketsbaia9 // Aug 20, 2015 at 6:47 PM

Man Utd have a poor squad and need a number of players. We just need Adbennour/Van Dijk, Willems/Guerriero and Diego Rolan to slash all over most teams in the premiership. Swansea will do better than Man Utd if the squads remain the same.

• 117 GeordieTwo // Aug 20, 2015 at 6:48 PM

Aye Blackley mate. I’m concerned as well. What does the club use for brains? Anyone can see our weakest area is defense. The stats tell the story and have done for years now.

• 118 will die for the toon army // Aug 20, 2015 at 6:49 PM

The bad thing abt NUFC. Carr wont say anything. Charnely has no voice and Mcca jst says we will keep on looking.

Bad time being a NUFC fan.

• 119 GeordieTwo // Aug 20, 2015 at 6:50 PM

That ManU squad isn’t that poor Ketsy. Have you been indulging in a bit of wonder weed again? ManU will finish far above us as usual. I hate them but I’m realistic about comparing the two clubs.

• 120 GeordieTwo // Aug 20, 2015 at 6:50 PM

Off for a bit lads. Keep your peckers up.

• 121 eaststandgeordie1982 // Aug 20, 2015 at 6:54 PM

VVD and good rb cover would make this a very good window, i think we are a bit soft in the middle of the park but we might see moussa coming from deep and breaking play up. Its going to take time to change the way we play from the horrific football we have seen last few seasons, a big CB is a must and has been for years. If we get 10th i would be over the moon because thats a massive step forward for us, small steps big gains, the main thing we need to do is go back to basics.

• 122 ShirebrookToon // Aug 20, 2015 at 6:58 PM

Can’t see us getting anything from the game on Saturday……… Apart from a good spanking that is. Defence needs strengthening badly yet we buy another midfielder

• 123 Jail for Ashley // Aug 20, 2015 at 7:01 PM

A young RB who is desperate to get a start but can’t shift Dutch international Jaanmatt, here’s his chance, plays out of his skin and keeps said Dutch international out of the team. Makes said best RB outside the top…. think twice about deliberately getting sent off next time.

• 124 Ketsbaia9 // Aug 20, 2015 at 7:06 PM

Carrick, Snierderlin and Sweingsteiger are not as good as Sissoko and Anita. Wijnaldum is better than Depay. Coloccini and Mbemba are better than Johnny Evans and Phil Jones. Rooney is on par with Cisse. I like their right back. They need 7/8 new players. We need 5 new players. We need someone to replace Abeid and Cabella.

• 125 Jail for Ashley // Aug 20, 2015 at 7:09 PM

Do you live in a yellow submarine?

• 126 eaststandgeordie1982 // Aug 20, 2015 at 7:10 PM

Rooney on par with cisse ? pass the crack pipe

• 127 bills-son // Aug 20, 2015 at 7:10 PM

I think McClaren may be playing Oba on the left to see if he can cut the mustard on the right if Sissoko goes.

Sissoko, in my opinion, isn’t worth anywhere near £15M. As others have said before, he flattersx to deceive with his occasional barn storming runs that often lead to nowt and his passing and tackling is nothing special.

I’d sell him if anyone was prepared to pay £10M-£15M and use it to get a CB and another CF.

• 128 bills-son // Aug 20, 2015 at 7:11 PM

use it TOWARDS getting another a CB and another CF..

• 129 Ketsbaia9 // Aug 20, 2015 at 7:13 PM

This could be the year where Man Utd get relegated. They are in major trouble at the moment.

• 130 SanD // Aug 20, 2015 at 7:14 PM

I think a squad that consists of Rooney, schneiderlin, darmian, de gea (for now anyways), depay, mata just to name a few can be classed as poor. All mention players could walk straight into our starting 11 never mind squad. Saying that I do feel we can give them a good game if mcclaren fields an attacking starting line up.

• 131 eaststandgeordie1982 // Aug 20, 2015 at 7:14 PM

If we get a CB and sell moussa i would use it on a DM so we could starting playing 1 instead of 2 we need a proper engine and we have not got that in the squad.

• 132 Ketsbaia9 // Aug 20, 2015 at 7:14 PM

We should offer Willo to Man Utd. He’d do a good job there

• 133 welshgeordie9 // Aug 20, 2015 at 7:14 PM

Any news on Charlie Austin.

• 134 welshgeordie9 // Aug 20, 2015 at 7:16 PM

How the hell are Man Utd in danger.

• 135 bills-son // Aug 20, 2015 at 7:16 PM

eaststandgeordie1982 – that’s a good shout.

• 136 CSC92 // Aug 20, 2015 at 7:19 PM

Just wondering how many people have actually seen this lad play? Or better yet seen him play with their own eyes? I work in Scotland and managed to see him against Dundee twice last season, and thought him average at best in a very average Celtic side. Interested to hear what people who have seen him play other than on football manager think?

• 137 Ketsbaia9 // Aug 20, 2015 at 7:20 PM

Mata’s not bad, but he was better at Chelsea. He’s too good for Man Utd. I have pit £150 on Man Utd to finish in the bottom half this season. Teams like West Ham, Swansea and Stoke will overtake them.

• 138 eaststandgeordie1982 // Aug 20, 2015 at 7:23 PM

I think DM is big problem for us we are far to weak in their and get bullied far to easy in the middle of the park, we need a tiote who can pass and think like a footballer not a headless chicken who runs in circles and gives the ball away.

• 139 JackButler // Aug 20, 2015 at 7:25 PM

Not making excuses at all, if you listen to any manager talking they talk about competition for places. Jaanmat has none what so ever, unless you count Anita, Colo was played no matter how poor he was, when Pardew was here he was a guaranteed starter.

Knowing you are gonna play no matter how you perform is not conducive to forcing a player to perform at their best no matter who big the crow is or how much money you earn

• 140 Ketsbaia9 // Aug 20, 2015 at 7:25 PM

Rooney and Darmian is the only players that I would want from Man Utd. They have sold their best players in Falcao and Di Maria and haven’t replaced them, so I expect them to drop down this season.

• 141 JackButler // Aug 20, 2015 at 7:26 PM

You’ve been sucking the air out of balloons again haven’t you

• 142 Ketsbaia9 // Aug 20, 2015 at 7:27 PM

Janazai is a decent player but they want to get rid of him.

• 143 Lager_arm // Aug 20, 2015 at 7:32 PM

I watch Celtic quite often and Virgil Van Dijk just looks like an average centre half, if you believe what you read on here he’s Bobby f****g Moore. Wont be a good Premier league defender as long a he’s got a hole in his arse.

• 144 will die for the toon army // Aug 20, 2015 at 7:33 PM

Manure are the games I know we will lose. No hope

• 145 Ron Knee // Aug 20, 2015 at 7:36 PM

It’s how we lose is the question. Not another Swansea, please!

• 146 switch365 // Aug 20, 2015 at 7:38 PM

There have been tongue-in-cheek calls to offer Williamson as part of a deal to bring van Dijk over from Celtic.

Am I the only one who thinks Willo may actually be successful at that level?
    The SPL is quite often referred to as a low Championship level for the most part, surely that’s where Stone Cold Mike lives.

• 147 Jail for Ashley // Aug 20, 2015 at 7:43 PM

I’ve said this before on here but I don’t know if it was a coincidence but after Lambeze made his purple statement our form totally nosedived from indifferent to atrocious. Can you imagine the affect it had on morale with players in the rare position of having a regular starter in front of them, Collo and STaylor being labelled ‘purple’ yet Willo was starting all the games, Danny Simpson, the only RB so therefore ‘purple’ yet being offered less money for a new deal. Competition for places is the way forward and has been for about 130 years now.

• 148 LGFUAD21 // Aug 20, 2015 at 7:47 PM

I’d take a lot of players from manure.

Rooney, darmian, blind, herrera, schneiderlin

Most of all Mata most underrated playmaker in the prem.

• 149 JackButler // Aug 20, 2015 at 7:50 PM

It is that mate,it’s amazing how a club like ours only has a single right back. It’s asinine to have any player guaranteed a place no matter how he performs. It was one of Pardew biggest failing and boy did he have a few, but when Tiote was away at the ACOF Biggi came in and more than held his own but was dropped the first game when Tiote returned so the message to Biggi was no matter how well you play you’re gonna get dropped when my favourite is back, Christ, Colo swaned off home after being found out to be naughty boy and did everything he could get quit the club and yet he went straight back into the side when made to come back to the north east.

• 150 Thump // Aug 20, 2015 at 7:56 PM

@Welshy: Don’t mind Kets, mate. He’s just a bit upset that we’ve sold Mehdi “Viera” Abeid.

• 151 CypriotDelight // Aug 20, 2015 at 7:58 PM

G2 – completely right on Man Utd and Depay. Unfortunately believe they may have found their stride mid week and we r in for a tough test!
    Just hope we find our metal and take it to them. High pressing aggressive tactics may work but once they hit our defence it may be too late. Try to take it too them and at least we can hold our heads up high, sit back and try to defend will be suicidal….

• 152 JackButler // Aug 20, 2015 at 8:01 PM

With Jaanmat suspended and Sissoko under question for the game through injury, who the hell to we play on the right side as Shaw and Depay seem to be where Utds greatest threat is coming from

• 153 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 20, 2015 at 8:04 PM

Thauvin and Mbemba?

• 154 CypriotDelight // Aug 20, 2015 at 8:06 PM

Good evening 🙂
    I have seen these things said previously and never really given them credit but once Colo got an extension and retained captaincy I was very sceptical….
    It was said that everyone had a chance and would be looked at yet he got an extended contract and stayed as captain for not playing pre-season…? What is goin on behind those closed doors?
    Shenanigans out!!

• 155 welshgeordie9 // Aug 20, 2015 at 8:07 PM

Yeah i know mate.

• 156 will die for the toon army // Aug 20, 2015 at 8:08 PM

Newcastle United have reached an agreement with AS Monaco for Aymen Abdennour. Aljazera Sport.

• 157 welshgeordie9 // Aug 20, 2015 at 8:08 PM

Take a Chancel on me

Have you been enjoying your favourite team from South Wales.

• 158 JackButler // Aug 20, 2015 at 8:11 PM

By his own addition Mbemba has only ever played one game at right back and throwing Thauvin in with on full session behind him doesn’t bode well in my eyes

• 159 toon kk // Aug 20, 2015 at 8:11 PM

Jack b
    it doesn’t matter who the hell we play against man u they’ll rip our lazy bunch apart, we all know we have major weaknesses in our squad (apart from the manager and board) but I do actually think we’re capable of more, but I can’t put my finger on what or who is the bad core.

• 160 will die for the toon army // Aug 20, 2015 at 8:11 PM

couldn’t help it

• 161 dok - the horrid colonial // Aug 20, 2015 at 8:13 PM

toon kk,

the core stats at colo, certain posters would say 😉

base of the spine and all that

• 162 welshgeordie9 // Aug 20, 2015 at 8:15 PM

will die for the toon army

You should have said that in capital letters and use the words sky sports news that usually annoys them, will it did with me.

Ha ha ha

• 163 CypriotDelight // Aug 20, 2015 at 8:18 PM

Flipping heck Will Die! Almost spat my vodka oot and went to bed happy…

• 164 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 20, 2015 at 8:20 PM

I can’t believe the comments made about Austin, is that Sullivan for real? Lol.

Dear me.

• 165 Our Toon // Aug 20, 2015 at 8:25 PM

Abdennour agent has said he the player wants to play in Serie A. His preference is Italy.

• 166 doofa the loofa // Aug 20, 2015 at 8:27 PM

This player buying is pure nonsense man.. we need more ground staff and stewards..
    Ashley oot…

• 167 Our Toon // Aug 20, 2015 at 8:27 PM

Sullivan said what all other owners think, he’s not value for money. The thing he added on top of that though which was interesting is how poor Austin was in the must win game against WH.

• 168 will die for the toon army // Aug 20, 2015 at 8:33 PM

Our toon.

Abdennourz agent jst talks no experience at all.

On Sullivan he is jst broke man who has failed to get his mistress a Christmas gift and he is all shouting at the mall.

• 169 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 20, 2015 at 8:37 PM

Welshie yeah mate Cardiff gave QPR a good game Saturday 🙂

• 170 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 20, 2015 at 8:40 PM

Hilarious from Sky Sports

Austin has no ligaments in his right DICK!

• 171 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 20, 2015 at 8:44 PM

where did you see that about Abdennour?

• 172 Pottsclock // Aug 20, 2015 at 8:45 PM

169 – Hilarious
    Cisse has them all

• 173 GeordieTwo // Aug 20, 2015 at 8:45 PM

You are being WUMed by a WUM welshie. It’s quite funny to see. Ketsy will wind your string up tight. 😆

• 174 Rotonda heights // Aug 20, 2015 at 8:45 PM

will die

that was very cruel and very unnecessary!

• 175 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 20, 2015 at 8:45 PM

Nice goal for Midtjjyland

• 176 Rotonda heights // Aug 20, 2015 at 8:46 PM

he’s winding us up

• 177 GeordieTwo // Aug 20, 2015 at 8:47 PM

Ketsy @142, you’re mad as a hatter son. ManU only have 2 decent players? Send me some of that wonder weed mate…..Hahahahaha.

• 178 GeordieTwo // Aug 20, 2015 at 8:48 PM

Don’t Bogard that joint now Ketsy……Harrumph!

• 179 GeordieTwo // Aug 20, 2015 at 8:49 PM

Should be Bogart. I know….. Humphrey Bogart. I’m losing my mind reading Ketsy’s latest gems….

• 180 GeordieTwo // Aug 20, 2015 at 8:50 PM

While you’re at it Ketsy, tell us how poor Man City and Arsenal are. Do they have 2 decent players? Give Willo to ManU? Ahahahahahaha! What would they use him as, a flag pole?

• 181 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 20, 2015 at 8:50 PM

ty RH

• 182 GeordieTwo // Aug 20, 2015 at 8:54 PM

I think they meant Austin has no ligaments in his right testicle. No surprise there….

• 183 spaghetti bandit // Aug 20, 2015 at 9:03 PM

Abdennours agent has also previously said he didn’t want to play in serie a,, bloke never keeps his mouth shut spouting new stories every day

• 184 GeordieTwo // Aug 20, 2015 at 9:05 PM

Right then, I’ve got my 1942 Monty battle thong on!!! Who says ManU are poor? Who says they’ll finish in the bottom 10? Ketsy! Fong Ketsy! Fong him I say! He’s lost what remained of his brain matter this summer….Harrumph! What’s your prediction for us Ketsy? Top 6? And don’t make some ridiculous statement about us signing another 4 or 5 top players and then predict top 6. Just come out with it . Where will we finish given our current squad?

• 185 jazzyp // Aug 20, 2015 at 9:06 PM

Abdennour’s Agent has touted his client around all the big boy’s of Europe. Barca….Juve…Milan……Bayern. And guess what nobody has bitten, So we have as much chance as anybody.
    The only sticking block will be the fee as Monaco are sitting pretty on a load of cash. They have just sold Kurzawa to psg for 25 mill so I doubt there would be any change out of 20 mill for Abdennour

• 186 jazzyp // Aug 20, 2015 at 9:11 PM

As good a team as we can put out really if we are prepared to have a go !!

• 187 will die for the toon army // Aug 20, 2015 at 9:12 PM

Euros or Pounds

• 188 jazzyp // Aug 20, 2015 at 9:14 PM

Will die

Euros mate

• 189 SPRINGY // Aug 20, 2015 at 9:15 PM

Evening all, long time reader..1st time commenting…canny happy with transfers but like most are saying on here desperate for a beast of a centre half and for me fullbacks back up for janmaat and quality for hairdryer to learn off….but could i add we need our players to learn how to press the ball quicker and get some nowse!(excuse if spelt wrong) coz they always look slow at start of halfs and lack any smarts on the pitch,stupid mistakes etc;…a captain who actually talks myt help as well!!!!lol

• 190 will die for the toon army // Aug 20, 2015 at 9:16 PM

Abdennour is a good CB but I think the big boys didnt bite. So I think he is coming to NUFC. Mbemba is a signing I didnt see coming.

• 191 ShirebrookToon // Aug 20, 2015 at 9:16 PM

Abdennour yes please

Van dijk no thanks

• 192 Toonces // Aug 20, 2015 at 9:16 PM

Abdenour or VanDijk would be welcome additions. Regarding Janmaat he started poorly last season adn then settled in. But he has a bad habit of making a run with the ball up his right wing, when he gets pressure from the opposing full back he will try a risky diagonal forward pass to one of our forwards or a forward charging Sissoko but quite often he makes this pass poorly and it is cut out by the opposing defenders. Before you know it our attack is caught pushing the wrong way and the other team is counter attacking up or now vacant right flank. When Janmaat makes this pass (or any of our other playesr) it must be successful. We often get caught turning the ball over just as we enter the final third. This has been a regular problem that I have seen. Janmaat has done this most often but others with poor passes or control in the wrong part of the pitch have caused us some big harm

• 193 jazzyp // Aug 20, 2015 at 9:25 PM

Catch 22 pal though as when Janmaat makes them runs and they pay off he looks great, and were all giving him rave reviews.
    Look at Simmo……I don’t think he even knew how to cross a ball,Same with perch when he was played there.
    I agree Janmaat has not hit the ground running this season, And again agree it was a stupid sending off. But he is definitely one of the better RB’s we have had of resent years

• 194 geordie157 // Aug 20, 2015 at 9:25 PM

in order of preference I would like to see us sign one of these 5 centre backs.

Sakho (will get stick for this one!)
    Dunk (as long as Wilo goes as part of the deal)
    Van Dijk

• 195 Our Toon // Aug 20, 2015 at 9:28 PM

Geordie 157

Rudiger has gone to Roma, Sakho hmm, he looks the most awkward of CB’s, especially on the ball. Left footed Bramble, don’t like him at all. Shame as he had alot of promise once

• 196 ShirebrookToon // Aug 20, 2015 at 9:30 PM

Who’s playing RB on Saturday then lads? Anita with tiote dropping in along side colback or is it going to be mbemba with saylor partnering colo. so much choice 🙁

• 197 will die for the toon army // Aug 20, 2015 at 9:30 PM

1. Debuchy
    2. Janmatt
    3. Habib Beye

• 198 Our Toon // Aug 20, 2015 at 9:30 PM

Was hoping for more news on the back of that twitter rumour from yesterday. Will be interesting to see who Valencia now buy with Otamendi joining Citeh

• 199 jazzyp // Aug 20, 2015 at 9:30 PM

Goerdie 157

Brighton have turned down Fulham’s 3rd bid today of 5 mill. I don’t see us paying any more than that for a Fizzy pop player

• 200 Our Toon // Aug 20, 2015 at 9:32 PM

It’ll be mbemba at RB with saylor partnering Colo. Depay against Anita will be a mismatch, Rooney has looked piss poor so far this season so no doubt he’ll get a couple

• 201 Graeme // Aug 20, 2015 at 9:33 PM

Abdenour AND Chancel BOTH play in the ACN every TWO years!!
    We DO NOT want two African players as our front line CB’s who are gone for 4-6 weeks, every 2 years.

There is no logic in doing that!!!

• 202 ShirebrookToon // Aug 20, 2015 at 9:33 PM

We’ll bid 5.1mil jazzy haha

• 203 jazzyp // Aug 20, 2015 at 9:35 PM

Evening mate
    I can definitely see Taylor coming in along the back line.
    SM may pack us out with a defensive formation. Mbemba may have to play out on the right to cover the pace of shaw and Depay.

• 204 ShirebrookToon // Aug 20, 2015 at 9:35 PM

Our toon

Either way it doesn’t fill me with confidence although mbemba does posess pace so may cope better against depay

• 205 jazzyp // Aug 20, 2015 at 9:36 PM

5 mill and Willo for good measure !!

• 206 ShirebrookToon // Aug 20, 2015 at 9:38 PM

Whoever plays in front of mbemba is going to hve their work cut out too

• 207 will die for the toon army // Aug 20, 2015 at 9:38 PM

AFCON is for 6 weeks that’s 5 EPL games 1 FA cup game and A League cup final.

• 208 Our Toon // Aug 20, 2015 at 9:38 PM

Are you having a laugh mate, they’ll miss 3 or 4 premier league games at the most by going to AFCON, if both of there respective nations make it to the final. Would you say no to Yaya Toure as well because of AFCON or Bony. They’ll miss max 6 weeks of the domestic season out of 38 weeks!!

• 209 ShirebrookToon // Aug 20, 2015 at 9:40 PM

5 mil plus willo. That’s rather generous offer isn’t it how can that be turned down

• 210 ShirebrookToon // Aug 20, 2015 at 9:44 PM

We need a big CDM as Anita and colback are like the queens corgis and are easily brushed aside. Matip could be a good shout as he can play in front of the CBs.

Mbemba Abdennour

One can dream 🙂

• 211 Our Toon // Aug 20, 2015 at 9:44 PM

Don’t we normally go for our customary trip to Dubai when the AFCON is on anyway? The reward for getting knocked out of the FA Cup

• 212 will die for the toon army // Aug 20, 2015 at 9:46 PM

That’s a fairly tale not a dream.

• 213 jazzyp // Aug 20, 2015 at 9:58 PM

I think we can definitely say Mr Austin wont be going to West ham now. Be interesting to see where he ends up ??

• 214 Toonces // Aug 20, 2015 at 10:01 PM

Jazzyp @ 193

I agree with your opinion of Janmaat. And I rate him as a good right back. I think that he sometimes forces that pass or doesn’t read the defence just right and might be a bit predictable. If he can work to improve this part of his attacking game, it will help us overall. Janmaat is good as the number 1 choice right back but it would be good for some competition to keep him sharp.

• 215 2_goal_tino // Aug 20, 2015 at 10:03 PM

Interesting article in the Chronicle from Mark Douglas…

I tend to agree with him. We have spent big but taken huge risks. I’m not a natural pessimist but I’m not convinced by this window. No doubt they all have huge potential but potential really isn’t what we need. I am confident Chancel and Wijnaldum will do well, but am yet to be convinced on Mitrovic and Thauvin. Both have ability but are inconsistent and have attitude problems on and off the field.A combined 25 million for the two of them is nothing short of a very expensive gamble at the roulette table – I pray it is a masterstroke but fear one or both will do a Cabella, Rivi, Luque, Jon Dahl Tomasson or Viana.

I just wish we mixed investing in potential and investing in experienced players who are more of a sure thing.

• 216 jazzyp // Aug 20, 2015 at 10:06 PM

I think if we can improve our defence over the last week of the transfer window it will take that added pressure of trying to cover for our captain invincible, And our ever popular Willo.
    Personally mate I worry more about the left back position than right back. always vouched for Hadaira as he looks to have potential. Another player that hasn’t started this season well

• 217 Sroka // Aug 20, 2015 at 10:37 PM

With the threat posed by Depay and Shaw on the flank recently vacated by Janmaat I think we have no option but to play 5 at the back. We have no proper cover for RB, so whoever plays there is in for one hell of a game. MY team would be:

Obertan Mbemba Colo Taylor Haidara
    Wijnaldum Anita Colback
    De Jong

Obertan could do a job there if just concentrates on his pace and athleticism, and stays with the runners, bothers them, etc. and offers and attacking outlet. Mbemba can cover his inevitable boobs and Colo to sweep.

Mitrovic and De Jong should be able to hold up play well and are an unknown, and could spring a suprise.

With a strong attacking bench we can be flexible if the match isn’t turning out as planned, and keep VG guessing.

previous post: Rumors Growing About Newcastle Signing Top Defender