Former Top Newcastle Defensive Target Now For Sale

It looks like Celtic are finally willing to sell their Dutch U21 International center-back Virgil van Dijk, who has been at Celtic for two years now, and Newcastle were interested in him while he was still playing for Groningen in Holland..

In fact almost exactly a year ago, there were various reports in the Scotsman saying that Newcastle were trying to sign the 24 year-old Dutchman, but it didn’t go through – after we had allowed Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa to leave for Roma on the last day of last summer’s transfer window.

Virgil Van Dijk Celtic -Stoke-599476

Virgil van Dijk – available for transfer

Managing Director Le Charnley has since said that Newcastle had a player lined up to replace Mapou,  but that we couldn’t do the deal in the time that was left – so maybe that was van Dijk.

The clubs said to be interested in the 6’4″ center-back do not include Newcastle however, but Southampton, Sunderland and Everton are all said to be interested – with Stoke City today said to be preparing a bid for the skillful defender.

Celtic scout David Moss has said this today about Celtic’s transfer strategy:

“It is very difficult recruiting the right players for Celtic for the following reasons. Premier League clubs receive £80M-£100M each year from SKY/BT in comparison to the approximate £2.5M Celtic receive.”

“We therefore cannot compete for players in the Premier League and even against most Championship clubs.” “We are targeting players valued under £2.5M.”

“But we are still seeking players who can compete in Champions League games and have the potential to be sold to the Premier League or other top European teams within two years.”

“In recent seasons we have done well working to this strategy with Fraser Forster, Victor Wanyama and Gary Hooper selling for £10M, £12M and £6M respectively.”

“Virgil van Dijk will also probably be sold for in excess of these figures in the coming weeks.”

The news is that both the Saints and the Black Cats have bid for the Dutchman but have had their bids turned down – and it seems that Stoke City will be the next club to make an offer.

With Steve McClaren now the head coach, it’s difficult to know if Newcastle may be interested in still signing van Dijk – maybe not – but Celtic are willing to sell – for the right fee.

Newcastle have been linked with Monaco center-back Aymen Abdennour, who may be our number one target – but if Newcastle could get van Dijk through the door, we’d be happy enough.

Virgil has played 112 times for Celtic over the last two seasons with 15 goals, and would probably cost up to £10M.

• JamesToon

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:12 PM

Get either VVD or Abdennour in please ashley and charnley

• JAMSHA

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:12 PM

Ok Next ….. Austin still Fav To Sign For Nufc

• Brian Pinas

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:13 PM

Dutch manager, former Cetic players, good relationship with Celtic from previous transfers, European football. I think he’ll go to Southampton.

That’s fine if we get Abdennour.

• JackButler

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:14 PM

Firstly I still think Carr is the loudest voice when it comes to who comes in.

Secondly this player would be a great addition, has pace, power, strong In the air and is calm as hell.

Offer some of our fringe player to try and sweeten the deal

• melt

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:16 PM

I fear the Van Dijk money has gone directly in the hands of Olympique Marseille.

I can’t really complain, it’s not what I’d have done, but I thought we were done once Mbemba arrived. One more name was a plus anyway.

• sweendog

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:17 PM

not sure who I’d prefer I’d take either
    Van Djik is less injury prone and plays is a similar physical league to the premiership
    Abdennour – better player more injury prone, more expensive. If fit I’d like him.
    I’ve a feeling we’ve got Van Djik as we are only competing with Stoke, as everton have signed a CB and Southampton got one on loan.

• Brian Pinas

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:18 PM

Van Dijk wont be going anywhere until after the second leg against Malmo. They need the revenue of getting to the group stages.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:21 PM

Melt
    In all the time Janmaat has been here I cannot recall a period of a few games when you could say, “He’s better than your average PL full back”. I honestly believe that fans tend to see the good in their own players because they want to believe in them. They’d rather look for excuses rather than criticise, certainly with new signings. Even I’m prepared to give a player a season.

Janmaat may be as good as people say. All I’m saying is that he was average at best last season, taking the season as a whole. So far this season he’s had an absolute stinker.

• Tsunki

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:21 PM

“Stop being cynics” I hear – oh dear. That’s music to Mike’s ears.

• Our Toon

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:22 PM

Melt

For 5m he’s a solid player, 2 years ago many voted Williamson as best player in a season, I take things like that with a pinch of salt. I agree with what some have said in regards to lack of competition for him, I can remember many times last season he was poor defensively last season as well, especially Southampton game where he was schooled by Elia.

Either way we have the lad and I hope he bounces back stronger from this start he’s had but Janmaat needs to up his game as well

• JP...from The Rock

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:22 PM

I always rated this guy and he can score goals which is a rare comodity for a CB. He’s dutch too so should settle in well. I think he has what it takes to be a success in the Premier League. Either Van Dijk or Abdennour and I’ll be very happy. Doubt Van Dijk will be another Boumsong!

• Blackley and Brownlie

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:25 PM

Anyone watching Van Diyk the other night for the first time must be thinking, “Oh no. Son of Colo.” Well I am.

Howay man. Scotland can even make Vuckic look good.

• JackButler

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:25 PM

Would Celtic take the likes of Saylor, Biggi, Vikic as part of the deal as if they would it could kill two birds with one stone…………..didn’t throw Willo in to the mix as that would scupper any chance

• melt

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:30 PM

Blackley and Brownlie,

Mate, I’m completely with you when it comes to home fans and inherent bias, and I’ve loved Janmaat ever since I stood in the open rain and saw him going absolutely off his nut at the back line all game during that 1-0 win at Gillingham in the Capital Cup last year. There may be some bias, howver if stats are your thing, here’s Janmaat compared defensively to Coleman, Clyne, Jenkinson and Joel Ward

He doesn’t do too badly my friend, and defence is his worst trait. He’s certainly not ‘poor’ defensively.

• DaraghL

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:44 PM

I am a big Janmaat fan but there is no chance he is better than Coleman. Show me as many stats as you like, they never cover reading of the game, off the ball runs etc. Terrific player.

• Mister Tuff

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:49 PM

I’m not sure Janmaat track back all that well, or certainly every time.
    I recall on Saturdays game he had ran forward a long way and eventually Swans got the ball back – I noticed Janmaat walking back. Whilst he might have busted a gut getting forward he certainly didn’t bust a gut getting back.
    Having said that he is a very decent player.

• melt

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:50 PM

I’m not saying he is a better player than Coleman at all, I’m just saying he;s not lightyears away defensively.

Coleman is obviously streets ahead offensively but isn’t all that defensively, which reminds me of comparisons to a certain curly haired nutjob

• SanD

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:52 PM

Janmaat getting a bashing today. I bet bet most voted him best player last season.

• SanD

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:53 PM

Virgil van Dijk – make it happen

• JackButler

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:54 PM

SanD

It goes in circles mate, someone always has to be public enemy No# 1, if it’s not Jaanmat, it’s Cisse or Anita

• Our Toon

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:54 PM

Not seen much of VVD at celtic but know quite a few rate him highly on here. Would be interesting to see how he’d do in the prem!!

• melt

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:56 PM

Don’t start me on Cisse

• Tsunki

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:56 PM

Well Willo hasn’t been playing lately so it’s difficult to pick a favourite target. Getting sent off in a lame way does help to make a choice though.

• JackButler

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:56 PM

Our toon

Let’s be honest mate, you or I would be an upgrade on what we have and I’ve got a dodgy knee 🙂

• will die for the toon army

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:56 PM

We are still signing coz I bet Mcca jst doesnt want yo keep hopes too high.

Rolan and Abdennour fingers crossed

• DaraghL

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:57 PM

Melt –

I’m definitely biased as an Irishman but he is our best player and has been superb defensively for Ireland. Maybe he’s a different player for Everton.

• hibbit

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:58 PM

jammaat is like a lot of players he needs someone pushing him for that spot he knows no matter what its his..he needs a bit of a push…. byram anyone

• Our Toon

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:59 PM

San D & JB

Doesn’t say much about last season does it. I call it highlighting weaknesses rather than bashing. The time I have bashed him this week was when I said he was a coward for the way he got sent off. If someone’s not good defensively ie Williamson isn’t good on the ball, it’s not bashing Williamson is it?

• Our Toon

Aug 20, 2015 at 4:00 PM

JB

I really hope we do get a CB buddy otherwise all this window will have been about is to get players with potentially very good resale value.

• Brian Pinas

Aug 20, 2015 at 4:03 PM

Janmaat got tore up by Montero just like Ivanovic did. He’ll do it to the Mackem’s right back on Saturday as well.

Looking forward to that.

• Our Toon

Aug 20, 2015 at 4:03 PM

Would any of you take a punt on Yedlin of spurs, they have 3 or 4 rbs at present, he’d be cheap and can play on wing as well.

Coleman is exceptional especially as an attacking threat but he’s also good defensively

• Mag52

Aug 20, 2015 at 4:03 PM

Ed, you are fond of using the expression ‘flash the cash’ when writing about Ashley’s spending so far in the transfer window, but it can only be called flashing in comparison with what we have seen in recent years from him.
    Stirling cost Man.City as much as we have spent on 5 players to date, and an average spend of 12.5 million is no big deal these days in the premiership.
    Don’t get me wrong. I’m happy to see somemoney being spent on what we all hope turn out to be talented players, but the outlay so far does not do much more than redress, to some extent, the woeful underinvestment of recent years.

• Our Toon

Aug 20, 2015 at 4:05 PM

Brian

Unlike Janmaat, Ivanovic didnt give up after 40mins

• TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa

Aug 20, 2015 at 4:05 PM

JackButler // Aug 20, 2015 at 3:25 PM

the play here is send them harris as part of the deal. He killed it at rangers, what a great way to stick it to their old nemesis.

• JackButler

Aug 20, 2015 at 4:06 PM

Our toon

No issue with people being critical of a players performance, but some on here have now turned on Jaanmat and calling him poor etc etc etc .

The set up at the club is not conducive for him to be at 100% as he has no competition for his place to make him pull the best out of himself. I think it’s the same with Colo as under Pardew he was always played if fit, players need to be dropped if they under perform but sadly our squad is still that weak that we can’t replace players who don’t perform.

Hopefully this window is gonna put a lot of that right

• JackButler

Aug 20, 2015 at 4:07 PM

Taco

That would a deal that would appeal to Ashley after the whole Rangers debacle

• TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa

Aug 20, 2015 at 4:08 PM

i think janmat is VERY underrated going backward. He was excellent at CB, he could easily play there if we get a RB. i also think he is the ideal if we play 3 at the back, but thats not happening

1 2 3 6