The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Is This Newcastle’s Best Team For Manchester United?

10:30 pm, Thursday, August 20th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 150 Comments

Newcastle will have a very tough game at Old Trafford on Saturday, and we will have at least two players not available who started the game at Swansea, when we were very poor after a decent start at home to Southampton.

We don’t expect Moussa Sissoko to be risked with his groin strain, and Paul Dummett is still not ready to be on the bench, but we do expect Siem de Jong to be part of the match day 18, even though his shin is still a little sore.

Rolando Aarons +Sheffield+United+v+Newcastle+uCd8SVwns5Il

Rolando Aarons – could get a start on Saturday

Daryl Janmaat will miss the game through suspension and it shows our lack of full backs that we don’t really have cover for him and don’t have a full back on the bench.

We initially didn’t have Thauvin in the 18, but he will probably be on the bench.

This is the best team we can come up with for tomorrow:

Krul
Mbemba Taylor Coloccini (c) Haidara
Anita Colback
Obertan Wijnaldum Aarons
Cisse
Subs: Darlow Williamson Tiote de Jong Perez Thauvin Mitrovic

Steve McClaren could put Anita at right back, and he could play Cheick Tiote in one of the holding roles – or else go with the back-line as above where Steven Taylor gets a chance and Mbemba moves over – it’s the back four that played in the second half at Swansea.

McClaren could even play Mitrovic on the wing tomorrow, but it’s a good chance to give Rolando Aarons a start on the left wing,  with Gabby Obertan shifting over to the right wing – his preferred position.

Mitrovic could come in at striker in place of Cisse,  but we think Aleksandar will get a start against Northampton Town in the League Cup on Tuesday night – kick-off 7:45pm at St. James’ Park.

Newcastle must put in a much better display than we showed against Swansea, when we were comprehensively beaten by a much better side on the day.

What would your team be for Saturday?

How Will Newcastle Fare At Manchester United?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Fitness · Injuries · Moussa Sissoko · Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League · Rolando Aarons

150 responses so far ↓

• 1 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 20, 2015 at 10:31 PM

Ed surely Thauvin will make the 18?

• 2 martoon // Aug 20, 2015 at 10:38 PM

Chancel – I was thinking exactly the same – I’d risk starting him ahead of Obertan.

• 3 soundoid // Aug 20, 2015 at 10:38 PM

I’m not expecting anything from the next 2 games. This is starting to look like an almost complete overhaul of the squad 3 windows seems about the right amount of time to do this. I wouldn’t be surprised to see us bring in another CB this window or in Jan and see colo sidelined.

Steve Mac is no idiot he knows what we need, but years of under investment will not be corrected in one window.

Don’t think we’re going to set the league on fire this season despite the Bi-Polar nature of our fans don’t be spitting the dummy out when we still have 1 point in a couple of weeks. If Ash is still willing to shell out in Jan and next summer i’ll be feeling optimistic for now I’m looking at this as a long term project not a quick fix. I hope that the fat man thinks the same.

• 4 Average_Contents // Aug 20, 2015 at 10:39 PM

Ed

No. Just NO. Obertron is NOT a premiership class footballer. Never has been, never will be.

4-2-3-1? Again. NO. It doesn’t work.

4-3-3 and hit them from the off as they’ve looked decidedly average verging on piss poor so far against villa and spuds.

No doubt they’ll click though because there playing us.

I’d rather go down swinging than getting knocked out without putting up a fight.

Do not sit back. Go for it shteve.

We may just surprise them.

• 5 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 20, 2015 at 10:39 PM

Martoon, I’d play him too probably better to have Ober as an impact sub, have his pace towards the end when players are tiring

• 6 Average_Contents // Aug 20, 2015 at 10:43 PM

I’d rather my 6 year old lad start ahead of Obertron and he’s not even into football that much or hardly plays it (he tries to please me when we’re on, bless him)

Although he does have one hammer of a right foot for his age 😀

• 7 Average_Contents // Aug 20, 2015 at 10:47 PM

Riveting conversation again….

It’s a wonder I’m not as active as I used to be on here 😮

Bed time.

• 8 Our Toon // Aug 20, 2015 at 10:49 PM

Soundoid

It makes sense to all of us to drop Colo and to get a replacement for him but he’s signed a new deal amd is still the highest earner at the club. McClaren gave the blessing for that so he’s not going to be sidelined whilst being the highest earner.

• 9 Average_Contents // Aug 20, 2015 at 10:50 PM

Oh and take a chancel

About your question on previous.

Ask Jeffery.

I’ve a feeling he’ll/it will be able to fill you in mate 😉

• 10 Our Toon // Aug 20, 2015 at 10:53 PM

Problem with starting Thauvin is we’ve no doubt worked on a plan this week which he hasn’t been apart of. Makes more sense to bring him off the bench

• 11 NewcastleMole // Aug 20, 2015 at 10:57 PM

============= Krul =============
    Janmat-Mbemba-Coloccini/Taylor-Haidara
    Sissoko-Colback-Anita/Tiote
    Wijnaldum-Mitrovic-Thauvin/Perez

4-3-3 with the ball
    4-5-1 without

Away at Man Utd i see no other option but to flood midfield and play with pace on the counter. You have to use a Striker who will hold up the ball, Cisse cant do that but he could make a good sub in the 2nd half.
    Stevie Mac should be demanding 120% effort from Wijnaldum & Thauvin if he plays then he can swap them when tired for Obertan & Aarons.
    Tiote if fit has to start we need bite in the middle and Tiote & Mitrovic would give that true it would be competition to see who gets booked first but we need that aggression. Against Swansea there was No leadership which is why i’d choose Taylor over Coloccini alongside Mbemba.

Just my opinion though

• 12 soundoid // Aug 20, 2015 at 10:59 PM

Our Toon

Yep I get it but he’s got to cover all the bases he might not get the CB he wants this window he’s just planning for the first half of this season. He’s no idiot like I said before. He knows like we all do Colo is not the answer and is possibly part of the problem. Rome was not built in a day and he’s giving him the opportunity… for now I don’t think he’ll be on the pitch this time next season he’ll be sold. 2 new CB at the start of the season would be potential suicide. I was a little surprised he started Chancel day one which is the mark of the man.

• 13 Sroka // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:04 PM

With the threat posed by Depay and Shaw on the flank recently vacated by Janmaat I think we have no option but to play 5 at the back. We have no proper cover for RB, so whoever plays there is in for one hell of a game. MY team would be:

Krul
    Obertan Mbemba Colo Taylor Haidara
    Wijnaldum Anita Colback
    De Jong
    Mitrovic

Obertan could do a job there if just concentrates on his pace and athleticism, and stays with the runners, bothers them, etc. and offers and attacking outlet. Mbemba can cover his inevitable boobs and Colo to sweep.

Mitrovic and De Jong should be able to hold up play well and are an unknown, could spring a suprise.

With a strong attacking bench we can be flexible if the match isn’t turning out as planned, and keep VG guessing.

• 14 soundoid // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:10 PM

I post very rarely on here but I’ve said this on previous posts. SM is a product of Alex Ferguson. He will never play his best 11 he’ll always keep a couple of Aces on the bench.

• 15 matt11_25 // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:12 PM

I think moving Mbemba to RB is a bad idea. He needs as much game time at CB and with Colo (especially if he isn’t upgraded) as possible. I think I’d go with Anita at RB. Possibly even Colback or Aarons. Go ahead and start Thauvin as well, maybe it will catch the mancs off guard.

• 16 Sroka // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:14 PM

Plus Obertan should be played. Im not his greatest fan, but he showed up well in pre-season, can put a shift in and is quicker than most, he’s even looked one of our better attacking players so far (although only two games in I know, plenty of time for inevitable and dramatic nosedive!). He should be well up for it to show Manure fans what they missed out on, and if he has a worldy two sets of fans would be united in thinking ‘If only he had stayed in Red’

• 17 soundoid // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:15 PM

Salyor has played RB before I think it will be him.

• 18 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:15 PM

ah right ty AC

• 19 croftus5678 // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:16 PM

i’d go

————–darlow—————-
    anita–mbem–colo—-hair
    —————tiote————–
    siss————————rola
    ———wij——siem———
    ————–mitr————–

• 20 matt11_25 // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:22 PM

soundid I reckon Tayls has lost some pace since he last played there

• 21 Brummie // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:23 PM

Aarons
    Obertan
    Perez
    Tiote

• 22 soundoid // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:29 PM

Matt

Yes mate he has. Don’t think he’ll be pushing forward think we’ll have a ridged back 4.

• 23 Our Toon // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:31 PM

Can people stop with the obertan is quick nonsense, yes he’s quick but when has he ever used his pace more than once in a game?

He doesn’t take the full back on like Montero who uses his pace, he doesn’t use it to track back, he doesn’t us it to go from side to side. Obertan isn’t direct enough as a wide man. His main attribute is bis speed and the nugget doesn’t use it. McClaren should be sitting him down and showing him what Montero does with his pace.

• 24 Our Toon // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:36 PM

The best way to get something from the game on Saturday is to prevent Depay, Mata and Januzaj time on the ball, that means pressing them and not giving them time on the ball like we did with Swansea. The most overrated player in premiership history Wayne Rooney will get frustrated and drop deep, we’ve been incredibly generous to Rooney over the years so he’ll no doubt find the target against us but the lad will revert back to his normal self the week after

• 25 soundoid // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:39 PM

Not the starting 11 I’d go with but I think we might look a little bit like this.
    ——————Krul
    Taylor—Mbemba—Colo—Haidara
    Anita—windy—-Colback–Obertan
    ———-De jong——
    —————Cisse——-

Yep 4-4-2 old school. 2 banks of 4.

• 26 Blofal // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:46 PM

Anita has to start at RB with the sole intent of nullifying Depay.

——————Krul
    Anita – Mbemba – Coloccini – Haidara
    ——–Wijnaldum – Colback
    Obertan——-De Jong——–Aarons
    —————-Mitrovic

Subs: Darlow, Cisse, Perez, Tiote, Thauvin, Taylor, Gouffran

• 27 Our Toon // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:49 PM

Blofal

Depay will be strong and to quick for little Anita, not to mention he’ll beat him in an aerial contest 10 times out 10

• 28 danmuamua // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:52 PM

Based on our current squad i would like to see

Krul

Anita Taylor Mbemba Haidara

Sissoko Colback

Wiji De jong Thauvin

Mitrovic

• 29 Jib // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:58 PM

Although Average ( I think it was him) called me a spunktrumpet ( whatever that is ) I have to tip my hat to him and acknowledge any one who recognises that Gabby the Treen hasn’t got a footy cell in his brain knows their fitba

• 30 Jib // Aug 21, 2015 at 12:00 AM

good call Anita right back

• 31 Belfast // Aug 21, 2015 at 12:05 AM

I have a bad feeling Obertan might be McClarens pet.

Hope I’m wrong.

Pets out!

• 32 geordie157 // Aug 21, 2015 at 12:06 AM

Anita is poor at right back,taylor would do his hamstring in the first ten mins, mbemba needs to stay settled at centre back.
    Sign byram tomorrow and play him there.
    Or play a natural right back there and give sterry a game. It’s only depay.

• 33 Belfast // Aug 21, 2015 at 12:06 AM

Could be worse jib you could be a spunkbucket.

• 34 brklyngeordie // Aug 21, 2015 at 12:08 AM

Most disheartening thing about the game coming up is not the squad we have or the opposition being superior to us it is the FACT that we will not be refereed fairly.

Have to say I watch a lot of matches from all over the world every week and I don’t think my bias for NUFC is clouding my thoughts but we really get the shite end of the stick when it comes to referees

Sorry random post I don’t think I’m the only who sees this trash that takes place

• 35 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 21, 2015 at 12:08 AM

____________________KRUL___________
    Mbemba_____Williamson__Coloccini___Haidara
    ______________Anita______Colback________
    __________________Wijanldum______________
    Thauvin___________Cisse/Mitro________Aarons

Subs: Darlow, Taylor, Obertan, De Jong, Mitro/Cisse, Perez

Only picked Willo over Taylor because he is tall

• 36 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 21, 2015 at 12:09 AM

Formation of
    4-2-1-3

• 37 Jib // Aug 21, 2015 at 12:10 AM

Ha ha ha
    Average just seen your post to Chancel
    How do you explain to someone from Leeds what a radgepacket is ?
    Leeds you know Gipton ?
    Multiply that by a factor of 5
    Then you have Benwell 😎

• 38 Blaydon-Toon // Aug 21, 2015 at 12:10 AM

Obertan is quick yes and …. Cluless with and without the ball his positional play is awful has no football brain which is a shame as he is a well built athlete and that’s about it – switches off and is a liability when trying to defend

• 39 geordie157 // Aug 21, 2015 at 12:11 AM

Moving wijnaldum to right midfield might help though.
    Aaron’s on the left.

Krul
    Sterry, Mbemba, Colo. Haidara
    Wijnaldum, Anita, Colback, Aarons
    De Jong
    Mitrovic

Subs
    Darlow, Taylor, Sissoko, Thauvin, Obertan, Perez, Cisse

• 40 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 21, 2015 at 12:11 AM

brkly you are correct, we hardly ever seem to have a fair referee. No pens last season proves that and when we played Man Ure last season at home the referee was from Manchester, even though the FA have officially changed his hometown to Cheshire

• 41 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 21, 2015 at 12:14 AM

Jib
    Gipton? oh you mean what is locally known as Corned beef Island. know it well and if it’s 5 times worse then you have one hell hole lol

Pray tell me Jib how do you know about Gipton? I didn’t know it had noteriaty outside Leeds lol

• 42 Tsunki // Aug 21, 2015 at 12:14 AM

There goes the neighborhood.

No idea what team is going out tomorrow. I’m sure SM hasn’t either. He sort of reminds me of when my little bro-in-law decided to do some maintenance on his Commodore 32 and ended up with a box of electronic junk.

• 43 Blaydon-Toon // Aug 21, 2015 at 12:15 AM

We did have at least 3/4 clear cut pens not given off the top of my head Liverpool Perez cleaned out Southampton clear cut handball Fonte sure there were others

• 44 Jib // Aug 21, 2015 at 12:16 AM

Craig Pawson is the ref on Saturday

• 45 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 21, 2015 at 12:17 AM

That is not a good team, Ed. Not your fault fella. I blame old Mr Carr.

• 46 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 21, 2015 at 12:19 AM

Blaydon-Toon we had a clear cut penalty not given in the game at home Vs Man Ure last season

• 47 Jib // Aug 21, 2015 at 12:19 AM

Chancel do you know Gloucester Terrace Armley ?
    Nudge nudge wink wink say no more !

• 48 Our Toon // Aug 21, 2015 at 12:20 AM

There were a couple of clear cut pen decisions that didn’t go our way last season but in truth we rarely ventured forward into the opposing half for it to be a complete injustice.

• 49 Tsunki // Aug 21, 2015 at 12:22 AM

Craig Pawson Hmmm. Hard to tell whether this will work for us or against us. But this is nufc after all do I can guess who will benefit from.having a boss eyed nut job judging the proceedings.

I used to dread about half a dozen refs but I think I disliked Fatty Dowd the most what a big head that bloated tart was. No offence.

• 50 Blaydon-Toon // Aug 21, 2015 at 12:22 AM

Yes Man utd was so blatant I’m pretty sure there were a couple of others … Could have cost us our prem status

• 51 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 21, 2015 at 12:23 AM

Jib that’s Armley Jail lol

I live right next to the aptly named St James Hospital

• 52 Jib // Aug 21, 2015 at 12:25 AM

St Jimmy’s happy days

• 53 Belfast // Aug 21, 2015 at 12:26 AM

Pardews crapy tactics was probably the main reason we didn’t get many pens.

Wow what a move that was said no one ever.

Down the wing cross, down the wing cross, down the wing cross zzzzzzzzzz

• 54 Tsunki // Aug 21, 2015 at 12:26 AM

TFL don’t get sucked in Jeff has to dip his keyboard in a bucket of water every five minutes to cool it down from all the Googling. He’s probably never been through Leeds in his life 🙂

• 55 Blaydon-Toon // Aug 21, 2015 at 12:27 AM

The bigger clubs defiantly get the rub of the green when it comes to the big decisions look at the weekend Liverpool get an offside goal awarded and Bournemouth have a goal harshly disallowed ! The Arsenal midfielder Coquellan spelling was lucky not to go off very similar to Janmat

• 56 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 21, 2015 at 12:27 AM

Tsunki agreed There are certain refs I cannot stand/worry if we get them, agree with Dowd, don’t care for Andre Marriner either his decision to send off the wrong Arsenal player confounded that for me!!

It’s like in Rugby League if Leeds Rhino’s get Steve Ganson as ref you know decisions aren’t going to go your way

• 57 lesh // Aug 21, 2015 at 12:27 AM

Looking at this one must wonder what possessed those of our little fraternity to want to sign Balotelli.

What a tw@t he his.

• 58 Belfast // Aug 21, 2015 at 12:28 AM

Basically my fifa tactics and Pardew stole them.

• 59 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 21, 2015 at 12:29 AM

Tsunki
    That made me Laugh! 🙂

For anyone old enough to remember it there was a TV programme in the 80’s and 90’s called Jimmys which was set at St James Hospital. my dad was on it a few times as he was a porter there

• 60 Tsunki // Aug 21, 2015 at 12:32 AM

Belfast how about Pards advice to Willo?

” Ok if the ball happens to end up at Iron Mike’s feet and he’s in our own half, run away, preferably forwards. Mike – forget any idea of a short pass, you know you’ll never make one, so just look up, and boot the ball in as high an arc as you can. Any direction, don’ t matter. Just put your foot through it””

• 61 Tsunki // Aug 21, 2015 at 12:33 AM

TFL unlike Jeff I actually know a few bits of Leeds, and I know Jimmy’s all right. it’s changed a bit in 30 years, like most places.

• 62 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 21, 2015 at 12:35 AM

Tsunki
    Just a bit mate 🙂

I was just wondering if Gipton has noteriaty outside Leeds cos it’s a hell hole lol

• 63 Tsunki // Aug 21, 2015 at 12:35 AM

Who’s the ref who looks like jasper carrot?

• 64 Tsunki // Aug 21, 2015 at 12:37 AM

Lee Probert ha ha taxi doors he’s a bit shaky

• 65 SPRINGY // Aug 21, 2015 at 12:39 AM

KRUL
    TAYLS MBEMBA COLO
    OBERTAN HAIDARA
    ANITA COLBACK
    GEORDIE WINEGUM
    MITROVIC PEREZ/CISSE
    …………..since expectations are not too high against man utd,maybe givin this ago might be worth a go…..doubt it will happen…..expect mbemba at right back cisse up front alone in a 4231 tbh

• 66 Our Toon // Aug 21, 2015 at 12:39 AM

Lesh

Amazing how non of these things that article reports like the own goal and shouting in training etc have ever been mentioned before. Unfortunately Balotelli and others like him have plenty of BS written about them because it sells and people find it believable.

Think

• 67 Tsunki // Aug 21, 2015 at 12:39 AM

Mike dean oh dear that’s jasper carrot

• 68 Our Toon // Aug 21, 2015 at 12:41 AM

Think of the amount of rubbish written about us and the apparent derision toward pardew, most of it was utter BS but it was lapped up, packaged and sold as the truth!!

Silly phone

• 69 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 21, 2015 at 12:41 AM

First time I went to a Newcastle game, I was stopping over night and got a cheap deal on a Hotel called Bentleys. I got of the coach and not knowing Newcastle at all I asked a cabbie if he could take me there, he said it’s just up on Westgate Road and said it’s not that far! the lying tw@t he was, I walked a mile and a half up a hill and was knackered. Hotel was nice but the view of the knackered Limo outside got boring lol

• 70 SPRINGY // Aug 21, 2015 at 12:42 AM

obertan and haidara as wing backs……not a 32212 but a 5 212!lol

• 71 sfbay_toon // Aug 21, 2015 at 12:47 AM

============ Krul ============

==Mbemba=Taylor=Colo=Haidara===

=======Colback===Anita========

===Sissoko==Wijnaldum==Obertan==

===========Mitrovic===========

Bench: Darlow, Williamson, Tiote, De Jong, Aarons, Perez, Thauvin, Cisse

Very MF-heavy bench — time for a 3-5-2 or 4-4-2? I would love to see Mitrovic and Sissoko both spending time forward in the middle with speed on the wings (Aarons, Thauvin, Perez, Obertan). Gini’s versatility in the middle would be a bonus. Quite a challenge for defenses.

We might even be able to use Colback/Anita in a roving DMF role and convert the 2nd DMF to more of a CMF/AMF position (de Jong). Our back 4 will have to improve to allow this – better communication needed – more switching and zonal assignments.

My optimistic view: 1-1 at Old Trafford

My very optimistic view: 2-2 Let’s get that offense working! If we’re going to give up 2 goals a game, let’s score more!

Over-the-rainbow: NUFC away win

• 72 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 21, 2015 at 12:53 AM

TFL/JIB
    I once went in the New Penny. It took me about 15 minutes to realise …

• 73 SPRINGY // Aug 21, 2015 at 12:55 AM

KRUL
    TAYLOR MBEMBA COLO
    OBERTAN HAIDARA
    ANITA COLBACK
    WINEGUM
    MITROVIC CISSE/PEREZ
    can always change it to a 433 if perez starts

• 74 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 21, 2015 at 12:59 AM

Blackley
    Oh god no. how did it take you so long to realise?

• 75 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 21, 2015 at 1:01 AM

Viaduct Pub in Leeds used to be a Massive Leeds United bar and then went the same way as the New Penny

• 76 corkypants // Aug 21, 2015 at 1:03 AM

this is how i would set up bring aarons on when legs get tired

• 77 Tsunki // Aug 21, 2015 at 1:06 AM

I watched us getting relegated in walkabout I think it was in Leeds. Full of Leeds supporters pretty hostile lot really enjoyed us getting relegated. I think they agree with us Newcastle were the team that started their rot when we gave them a good hiding and they were never the same team again after that.

• 78 SPRINGY // Aug 21, 2015 at 1:11 AM

is sissoko back?….canny team.. all the best player on the pitch….might be lacking a grafter in the middle tho corky!…but has’nt been much graft in 1st two games like!!lol

• 79 SPRINGY // Aug 21, 2015 at 1:14 AM

rephrase that…….most the best players on the pitch….colo needs to up his game!lol

• 80 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 21, 2015 at 1:20 AM

My Lineup V Man Ure

• 81 jimmysmith // Aug 21, 2015 at 1:23 AM

Vurnon might get sat down for this one. Fellaini is back. Can’t see Anita and Colback handling Fellaini at all, and you can’t play him at right back against the pace and power of Memphis Depay. Good grief, if he gets tired of simply running around him, he’ll just run straight over the top of him. Haidarra is also perhaps better sat down too for this one, because he won’t be able to get forward so much in this one, leaving him defending against Juan Mata. More than a bit of a worry.

I’d start with…………..Krul
    …Mbemba…..Taylo………Collo……Colback
    …………………..Wiji……….Tiote
    …..Sissoko…………..De Jong……….Obertan
    …………………………..Cisse

and make full use of the bench, even taking a risk in the way we did at times last year with two or even three changes at halftime as needed, and really press for ninety minutes

• 82 Mister Tuff // Aug 21, 2015 at 1:42 AM

Fellani – in the air against our lot – no doubt who will win those duels. Fellani will probably use his elbows to smash somebody in the mug.
    Itemising/isolating the possible on field duels suggests we’ll get a spanking.
    Probably beeter getting these games out the way – hopefully reach the break without being mauled too much – would allow the coaches to get them properly organised.
    If Mr T is fit -he has to play – Iwould give Mitrovich a start as well.

Somebody mentioned Balotelli earlier. Imagine him and Mitrovich as our forwards – would terrorise the league.

• 83 sfbay_toon // Aug 21, 2015 at 2:00 AM

Brain fart — once again, without Sissoko.

============ Krul ============

==Mbemba=Taylor=Colo=Haidara===

=======Colback===Anita========

===Perez===Wijnaldum==Obertan==

===========Mitrovic===========

Bench: Darlow, Williamson, Tiote, De Jong, Aarons, Gouffran, Thauvin, Cisse

• 84 jimmysmith // Aug 21, 2015 at 2:16 AM

Sissoko may play. I really hope he does, he shamelessly reserves his best efforts for the big stage, and he’s not the only one. Yeah, maybe better to start with Mitrovic, 45 minutes each for the flankers, with the brief to go flat out, muscle and pace at first, then Perez and Aarons running at tired legs as the game wears on, and Cisse on for the last twenty, if Mitrovic hasn’t gotten himself sent off before then. We might surprise and play well and battle for a point, it’s a big occasion, the players should be right up for it, and this is the third game of the season, so you’d expect to see an improvement in form, fitness and shape.

• 85 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 21, 2015 at 2:16 AM

If Macca has anything about him he will be asking Gini about Memphis and how to stop him

• 86 Geordie Attitude // Aug 21, 2015 at 2:36 AM

How on earth is that the best starting 11?? Glad you’re not choosing the team. The best can only be the following (injuries not an issue of course)!
    Krul
    Anita, Mbemba, Colo (c), Haidara
    Colback
    Aarons, Wijnaldum, Thauvin
    De Jong
    Mitrovic

Subs: Darlow, Taylor, Lachelles, Tiote, Obertan, Perez, Cisse

• 87 The overrated Frenchman // Aug 21, 2015 at 3:13 AM

I’ve wondered if Obertan could be made into a decent wing-back. He seems to have the right physical skill set. OK, he doesn’t have the defensive nous at the minute, but I get the feeling he is quite determined and could (and would) learn if he was asked to do the job.

• 88 AncientC // Aug 21, 2015 at 4:32 AM

Krul
    Anita Colo chancel colback
    Tiote obertan
    Obertan wijn obertan
    —–obertan

• 89 will die for the toon army // Aug 21, 2015 at 4:54 AM

Lets b a little creative.
    ……………………….Krul
    …………..Mbemba……..Taylor. ……Colo
    …………………..Anita………..Colback
    Perez………………Wijnaldum. ……………….Obertan
    ………………Cisse……………….Mitrovic
    Subs:
    Darlow, Willo, Haidara, Thauvin, De Jong, Aarons, Tiote.

• 90 Blofal // Aug 21, 2015 at 5:04 AM

@86 I think Obertan could make a very good wingback.

• 91 Blofal // Aug 21, 2015 at 5:10 AM

Man U played a 4-2-3-1 against Brugge apparently…

@will I die for the toon army

I wouldn’t mind trying that at all. I think McClaren is focusing on getting us playing a certain style though and will be loathed to change it up. But having Mbemba, Taylor, Coloccini and Anita sit back whilst the rest attack would be fine with me as long as Man U don’t set up with 3 at the back.. because then we would be destroyed down the flanks.

• 92 will die for the toon army // Aug 21, 2015 at 5:11 AM

Wen ever one is fit?
    ……………………….Krul
    ………..Mbemba……….Taylor………Colo
    ……………………………Colback
    Janmaat……..Sissoko……….Wijnaldum……….Perez
    …………………………….Thauvin
    ………………….,………..Mitrovic

Wen we sign Abdennour is replaces Taylor.

Back Up:
    …………………………Darlow
    …………Lasceles………Willo……….Dummett
    ……………………………..Tiote
    Obertan……..Anita………….Aarons…………..Haidara
    ……………………………De Jong
    …………………………….Cisse

• 93 will die for the toon army // Aug 21, 2015 at 5:17 AM

Blofal

I think 3 at the back suits us coz we have poor FBs who are actually Wing Backs. Janmaatt and Haidara are better Wing backs.

• 94 Blofal // Aug 21, 2015 at 5:22 AM

Which makes the fantasy of signing Willems a much tastier one 🙂

• 95 Blofal // Aug 21, 2015 at 5:22 AM

I’m still assigning false hope to that tweet he sent out.

• 96 nut meg // Aug 21, 2015 at 5:28 AM

Pardew’s chasing Santon according to this.

• 97 sing in the corner // Aug 21, 2015 at 5:31 AM

It surely doesn’t make any sense playing sissoko in this game. Its a groin strain isn’t it? Notoriously dicey to play with a slight groin strain especially for a dynamic type of player like Moussa (when he fancies it that is). He’d be out for 6 weeks + if he aggravates it?
    I like the idea of playing Wij with Colback in the centre . Right back is the problem here though. Anita looks like the fall guy / Hobson’s choice again for right back fill in, which is tough on him I have to admit.

• 98 Blofal // Aug 21, 2015 at 5:40 AM

@nutmeg

I love the bit when it says Santon is a “precise free kick taker”.

• 99 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 21, 2015 at 6:01 AM

I would bring Santon back…never really understood that transfer!

…we almost gave him away!

For the kind of football I want us to be playing he is the right kind of affordable player. Some say he can’t defend, but if we are going to be playing like we have up until now I am not sure we can afford a defender that can ‘defend’.

They don’t come cheap!

Santon gives us so many other options especially if someone could learn him how to cross better. The way we played when he was here was not really suitable for him or for many players actually 🙂

• 100 cyprus // Aug 21, 2015 at 6:04 AM

Everybody’s got our best player from last year – hence the biggest contributor to keeping us up- on the bench.

Also, our best pre-season player should be given a chance.

Like many above said, if we play our traditional predictable boring brand, we’ll lose (1-0) and go home. I’d rather we throw on Perez, Aarons, Thauvin and give them a real and surprising game. It’s almost statistically impossible that Obertan will score OR go past a player. Bench him. The difficult one is Cisse… he has a knack for goal, contributes little more. Maybe give him a half.

Aaaand, how about that other mystery player, SDJ? Can he play football in the PL? Can he actually run? Is he the superstar we though we bought? I say, give him many games till Xmas. By then it will be conclusive: Release or keep.

• 101 cyprus // Aug 21, 2015 at 6:06 AM

Jesper,
    Thanks for the pointers re bikes, had left, had to go for a swim (somebody has to do it).

• 102 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 21, 2015 at 6:09 AM

Cyprus…haha 😉 that’s true mate!

…I don’t know more about bikes than you mate but hope it helped!

• 103 cyprus // Aug 21, 2015 at 6:12 AM

I was actually looking at a much cheaper bike from Mike, like 500 Euros for TWO bikes!

I know it’s entry level, but I am exactly that 🙂 Have since gone to real bike shops around town, the price difference is dramatic, with the same sort of specs. About double the price.

So, will I be buying a Perez or an Obertan?

• 104 SUTTY1978 // Aug 21, 2015 at 6:17 AM

Who plays at right back is not too relevant in nullifying Depay, he cuts infield well before the point of taking on the fullback. The def mid and right side CB will see much more of him. Also hes been crap apart from against Brugge, so lets hope he plays to his premier league level!
    Anyone thats ever happy with Obertan in a starting line up should be shot. When he leaves us he will go to the championship at best, with a year left on his contract and available we have not had a single approach for him from any club at any level. What does that tell you?

• 105 cyprus // Aug 21, 2015 at 6:19 AM

Re the game, I’ve cheekily voted win. My ‘real’ feeling is, a 1-0 loss where we say we were a bit unlucky and Rooney should have had a red, whereas he got a goal. And, it was a harsh but givable penalty.

• 106 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 21, 2015 at 6:24 AM

• 107 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 21, 2015 at 6:29 AM

Cyprus…the bike thing is deficult because there are so many variables…and it is a jungle out there 😉 lol

I suppose it’s about what you are going to use it for and comparing the specs. It’s not a real mountain bike you are looking for some I won’t assume it’s for off road?

Is it for speed? Or just to commute?

• 108 bobby mango // Aug 21, 2015 at 6:30 AM

The only thing that can save us from a humiliation is Man U firing blanks. Sadly i have a feeling this will be the game they click. Without janmat we’ll have even worse shape.
    Ideas of starting mitrovic are stupid – he’ll be isolated the whole game, leading to frustration, leading to a red card.

I’ve filled my fantasy team with man u players and lumped money on us getting beat by more than one goal. Some might think that’s bad but I’m just using my knowledge to back a sure thing.

• 109 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 21, 2015 at 6:34 AM

Cyprus…the crank is the most important spec to get right I think 🙂

…do you need hydraulic?

• 110 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 21, 2015 at 6:37 AM

Cyprus…

• 111 cyprus // Aug 21, 2015 at 6:40 AM

My wife wants to do some ‘bonding’ exercise. And I mean in terms of sport 😉

I already have my exercise and sport regimes but would fancy biking myself. I hadn’t realised it’s a steep learning curve. Thought it was like two wheels, brakes, some speeds! On bike blogs, battles are being fought over disk brakes or V brakes!! So, now I see arguments on this blog more kindly 🙂

• 112 cyprus // Aug 21, 2015 at 6:42 AM

Wonder who are the biggest net spenders in the PL? Chelsea are still bottom.

• 113 will die for the toon army // Aug 21, 2015 at 6:42 AM

I never want to talk abt Pardew but I remember hjm slaying our players that they were not good enough.

Back to NUFC. Abdennour is coming soon. And we revert to 3-5-2. Colo is untouchable.

………………………………….Krul
    ………..Mbemba…….Abdennour. ……..Colo
    ……………………………….Colback
    Janmaat……..Sissoko…………..Wijnaldum………Perez
    ………………………………..Thauvin
    ………………………………..Mitrovic

Squad:
    GK: Krul, Darlow, Elliott
    CB: Abdennour, Colo, Mbemba, Taylor, Dummett, Lasceles
    WB: Janmatt, Haidara, Obertan, Perez, Aarons
    CM: Sissoko, Wijnaldum, Colback, Cheick, Anita
    CAM: Thauvin, De Jong
    CF: Mitrovic, Cisse, Rivere.

• 114 cyprus // Aug 21, 2015 at 6:44 AM

Probably going with V brakes, as there isn’t much mud here and they apparently do the job. Hadn’t realised hydraulics had moved to bikes!

Will visit that site now.

• 115 will die for the toon army // Aug 21, 2015 at 6:46 AM

Mcca shld send Lasceles on loan with a 24 hr return clause if one of the CB gets injured by look of it he is too low of the pecking order.

• 116 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 21, 2015 at 6:49 AM

Funny that Pardew said recently he wasn’t allowed the players he wanted at Palace. Since joining them, he has signed Shola and Cabaye, tried to sign Colo, been linked with Ba, Cisse and Krul. Now there is apparent interest in Santon.

• 117 sing in the corner // Aug 21, 2015 at 6:52 AM

WdfTa@112

Really hope there is some substance in the Abdennour speculation. Looking at this window, if we get him I will be more than satisfied with the outcome! The only one that mystifies me is Colo. Keeping him as Captain, which you would think means he is 1st choice CB when fit, threatens to be the only blot. If we sign a 1st teamer CB it seems like its wasted money..? Strange for big Nike to let that happen. I mean…no sell on value in it at all.

• 118 sing in the corner // Aug 21, 2015 at 6:54 AM

Big *nike? Ha haha…Mike obviously. Bit of unnecessary advertising there..

• 119 cyprus // Aug 21, 2015 at 6:57 AM

Bobby, no offence, hope you lose that bet big time.

• 120 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 21, 2015 at 6:58 AM

players he wanted at NUFC…..

• 121 cyprus // Aug 21, 2015 at 7:01 AM

Lil, that clarifies things. Thought he was complaining at Palace now. He seems to miss NUFC, given his targets 🙂

• 122 jimmysmith // Aug 21, 2015 at 7:09 AM

Pardew complained that he wasn’t given the players the squad needed. That players were bought in the interests of the club, but not to meet the immediate needs of the first team. i don’t doubt he liked many of the players. he was given. He had some terrific players, but never the squad to really compete given injuries and suspension.

• 123 nut meg // Aug 21, 2015 at 7:10 AM

LILO
    I really miss watching Santon’s precise free kick\s…..lol

• 124 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 21, 2015 at 7:13 AM

Cyprus,
    Yeah, sorry bout that, been a long morning already….

nut meg,
    Yeah, we were so successful when we had Santon taking our free kicks. He shored up the midfield nicely in the holding role…..

• 125 Average_Contents // Aug 21, 2015 at 7:13 AM

Cyprus

They’ve had hydraulics on bikes for a while now lol. 2006-7 I purchased my bike (long sold)

Definitely disk brakes mate. I had hydraulics on my specialized endure pro (brakes and suspension) and it was the dogs bollox. Did cost a bomb though. Got a set of road tyres specially made that cost an extra £700.

You spend the extra you get far superior quality even if the specs look the same. £500 is a good starting point for first timers though mate

• 126 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 21, 2015 at 7:15 AM

I hadn’t realised how much Adbennour had suffered through injuries over the last couple of seasons. He has only managed 30+ league games twice in his career.

• 127 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 21, 2015 at 7:22 AM

Over 20 just 3 times (including the two 30+ years). Given the additional pace, physicality and strain of the Prem compared to Ligue 1 I’m not convinced he is the right option at the price.

Anyway, tomorrow we have to get at them. They have been poor so far. Attack them and put pressure on them at the back. Make them worry about us.

• 128 nut meg // Aug 21, 2015 at 7:25 AM

Lilo
    Aye,me also. I’m having doubts now about us going after him,not really a wise move at the cost.Any others that have been mentioned that you would prefer?

• 129 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 21, 2015 at 7:32 AM

nut meg,
    Can’t really think who has been mentioned to be honest. I remember Rudiger, Van Dijk, Matip and Adbennour. Ideally I’d want none of those, Rudiger was probably the best fit, but I think he has gone to Roma. Matip is poor positionally and a poor man marker. I think he will become a defensive midfielder over the next few years. HAven’t seen much of Van Dijk, but doing well in Holland and Scotland does not make you a top defender, it makes you a gamble akin to the Championship.

I saw some highlights of Leverkusen Lazio the other night, and I’d love the Greek lad at Leverkusen, Papadopoulos – he ticks most boxes for me, but he has had a troubled time with injuries recently to. He is a leader, physically strong, good in the tackle and in the air. He lacks the Prem experience I’d want, but so do all our targets…

If we are looking at spending that sort of cash, I’d test Stoke and West Hams resolve to keep either Shawcross or Reid personally.

• 130 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 21, 2015 at 7:34 AM

Just seen Papadopoulos has only just joined Leverkusen, was only on loan last year… oh well. That is a no go then.

• 131 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 21, 2015 at 7:35 AM

Injuries would have made it a no go anyway to be fair.

• 132 Mag52 // Aug 21, 2015 at 7:36 AM

Jimmy.

Right. Given the players Pardew had at his disposal, the severe lack of investment in his squad, and the selling off of key players to turn a quick profit, the fact that we were 9th. In the table when he left for Palace last season will be increasingly seen by his detractors as a pretty substantial achievement (even if they won’t be prepared to admit it).

• 133 Ian Toon // Aug 21, 2015 at 7:48 AM

jimmy smith – Thanks. In football terms maybe it was it just like Jinky Jimmy class but using the keyboard.
    Football- It wasn’t a case of Pardew saying I need to strengthen in the following areas and more depth in the squad overall. He had limited choice because of Ashley’s financial restrictions.
    Man U are in need of a CB and ST as well. Like the look of Darmian could be an interesting contest if Thauvin plays.

• 134 will die for the toon army // Aug 21, 2015 at 7:58 AM

Looks to be a quite day. waiting for Mccaz press conference. And go into Game mood.

Wat I know Mcca will have to say ” We are still looking but they have to be the right players.”

• 135 MassiveG // Aug 21, 2015 at 8:11 AM

Krul
    Mbemba Taylor Colo Hair
    colback Tiote
    Obertron Wijno Aarons
    Cisse

If de Jong fit he plays in the hole. Wijno needs to be further back or our midfield is overrun anyway and he’ll never get the ball!

• 136 davis_toons // Aug 21, 2015 at 8:18 AM

Agreed with @3

• 137 toon kk // Aug 21, 2015 at 8:18 AM

The big question is will Mitrovic score his first goal at Man u or pick up his first red or add to his yellow collection?

• 138 Toonfan8 // Aug 21, 2015 at 8:24 AM

here is Thauvins match vs Caen from 8.8.2015. He has really big potential for me and is upgrade on Cabella as a winger definetely.

• 139 Jib // Aug 21, 2015 at 8:24 AM

Lilo
    Have you heard of the young Belgian defender Jason Denayer ?
    He is on Man City’s book but was on loan for last season to Celtic.
    NUFC have enquired , whether to buy or loan I don’t know.

• 140 hibbit // Aug 21, 2015 at 8:25 AM

toon kk my order merit…..yellow,,,red……goal …needs to calm down quickly

• 141 hibbit // Aug 21, 2015 at 8:28 AM

jib i believe boro asked about a loan and were told no

• 142 NezzaNUFC // Aug 21, 2015 at 8:30 AM

Problem with Newcastle is that they will sit deep against Man U like they did against Swansea and hit on the counter, against Southampton our line was pushed up and we could of been 4-0 by half time.

So many strikers I would opt for a 4-1-2-3 formation

Krull
    Chancel, Taylor, Collo, Hiadara
    Anita
    Sissoko, Winaldum
    Perez, Mitrovic, Cisse

• 143 firebug666 // Aug 21, 2015 at 8:30 AM

hibbit

I agree, Mitorvic is lacking composure at the moment, once he settles down though he will start banging them in.

Even though he is a bit rash at the moment, he is showing a lot of promise, looking forward to seeing him get on the score sheet…..regular!

• 144 Laurent Robert 32 // Aug 21, 2015 at 8:31 AM

Mag52, you’re in dreamland with your hero Pinocchio again. He has a little spurt of a few games which boosts points whilst still playing poorly, then it goes back to being abysmal results with the same abject coaching displays.

McClaren’s first game against Southampton already showed a wealth of tactical and coaching improvement than Pardew and his disastrous coaches served up over years of nothing being different. Defenders coming close for the ball from goal kicks, compacted distance between lines of the team, less hoofs upfield from goalkeeper and outfield players, attempted passing with a genuine attempt to go forward. That is after one game! One! A matter of weeks of coaching.

As for Palace, Pulis already had them playing in a certain manner, he did the hard back-to-basics work with them, and Bolasie was on Goals on Sunday saying that they continue to use Pulis’ organisations, so once again ol’ rubber lips is riding on the back of someone else’s hard-work, like Hughton’s well oiled team.

Funny how he’s going for the Newcastle players. The guy is a first class prat. Good riddance.

• 145 Jib // Aug 21, 2015 at 8:32 AM

Hibbit
    Man City would be looking for an upgrade from Celtic for their lad and I’m not sure Boro would be , we would , just.

• 146 NezzaNUFC // Aug 21, 2015 at 8:39 AM

I voted for us to lose, a deep 4-2-3-1 won’t bode well against a 4-5-1 Man U.

Man U played poor against Villa and Spurs but still got the results.

We need to play at our strengths, but I feel McClaren is going to do a Pardew and be cautious all 90 + minutes

• 147 the broons // Aug 21, 2015 at 8:43 AM

toonfan8

Just watched that video, i like how he always looks to take on and commit the defender however is it just me or does he always seem to over hit his crosses?

• 148 hibbit // Aug 21, 2015 at 8:46 AM

jib think the championship is a way better leaugue then the scottish prem more games more varied stronger teams generally better opperition week in week out i think man city want to sell

• 149 bobby mango // Aug 21, 2015 at 9:07 AM

Cyprus – so do I. I would happily forfeit any earnings to see them do well but I can’t see any other way. May as well take some consolation from the poor show.

• 150 Moonraker15 // Aug 21, 2015 at 10:10 AM

Ed
    We must start Mitrovic as this stage is made for him. If he tires we can bring him off but without a big threat up top we have no chance. Also we can’t try and defend deep, but holding these players back is no good!
    Howay the lads!