Is This Newcastle’s Best Team For Manchester United?

Newcastle will have a very tough game at Old Trafford on Saturday, and we will have at least two players not available who started the game at Swansea, when we were very poor after a decent start at home to Southampton.

We don’t expect Moussa Sissoko to be risked with his groin strain, and Paul Dummett is still not ready to be on the bench, but we do expect Siem de Jong to be part of the match day 18, even though his shin is still a little sore.

Rolando Aarons +Sheffield+United+v+Newcastle+uCd8SVwns5Il

Rolando Aarons – could get a start on Saturday

Daryl Janmaat will miss the game through suspension and it shows our lack of full backs that we don’t really have cover for him and don’t have a full back on the bench.

We initially didn’t have Thauvin in the 18, but he will probably be on the bench.

This is the best team we can come up with for tomorrow:

Krul
Mbemba Taylor Coloccini (c) Haidara
Anita Colback
Obertan Wijnaldum Aarons
Cisse
Subs: Darlow Williamson Tiote de Jong Perez Thauvin Mitrovic

Steve McClaren could put Anita at right back, and he could play Cheick Tiote in one of the holding roles – or else go with the back-line as above where Steven Taylor gets a chance and Mbemba moves over – it’s the back four that played in the second half at Swansea.

McClaren could even play Mitrovic on the wing tomorrow, but it’s a good chance to give Rolando Aarons a start on the left wing,  with Gabby Obertan shifting over to the right wing – his preferred position.

Mitrovic could come in at striker in place of Cisse,  but we think Aleksandar will get a start against Northampton Town in the League Cup on Tuesday night – kick-off 7:45pm at St. James’ Park.

Newcastle must put in a much better display than we showed against Swansea, when we were comprehensively beaten by a much better side on the day.

What would your team be for Saturday?

How Will Newcastle Fare At Manchester United?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Take a Chancel on me

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:31 PM

Ed surely Thauvin will make the 18?

• martoon

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:38 PM

Chancel – I was thinking exactly the same – I’d risk starting him ahead of Obertan.

• soundoid

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:38 PM

I’m not expecting anything from the next 2 games. This is starting to look like an almost complete overhaul of the squad 3 windows seems about the right amount of time to do this. I wouldn’t be surprised to see us bring in another CB this window or in Jan and see colo sidelined.

Steve Mac is no idiot he knows what we need, but years of under investment will not be corrected in one window.

Don’t think we’re going to set the league on fire this season despite the Bi-Polar nature of our fans don’t be spitting the dummy out when we still have 1 point in a couple of weeks. If Ash is still willing to shell out in Jan and next summer i’ll be feeling optimistic for now I’m looking at this as a long term project not a quick fix. I hope that the fat man thinks the same.

• Average_Contents

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:39 PM

Ed

No. Just NO. Obertron is NOT a premiership class footballer. Never has been, never will be.

4-2-3-1? Again. NO. It doesn’t work.

4-3-3 and hit them from the off as they’ve looked decidedly average verging on piss poor so far against villa and spuds.

No doubt they’ll click though because there playing us.

I’d rather go down swinging than getting knocked out without putting up a fight.

Do not sit back. Go for it shteve.

We may just surprise them.

• Take a Chancel on me

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:39 PM

Martoon, I’d play him too probably better to have Ober as an impact sub, have his pace towards the end when players are tiring

• Average_Contents

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:43 PM

I’d rather my 6 year old lad start ahead of Obertron and he’s not even into football that much or hardly plays it (he tries to please me when we’re on, bless him)

Although he does have one hammer of a right foot for his age 😀

• Average_Contents

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:47 PM

Riveting conversation again….

It’s a wonder I’m not as active as I used to be on here 😮

Bed time.

• Our Toon

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:49 PM

Soundoid

It makes sense to all of us to drop Colo and to get a replacement for him but he’s signed a new deal amd is still the highest earner at the club. McClaren gave the blessing for that so he’s not going to be sidelined whilst being the highest earner.

• Average_Contents

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:50 PM

Oh and take a chancel

About your question on previous.

Ask Jeffery.

I’ve a feeling he’ll/it will be able to fill you in mate 😉

• Our Toon

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:53 PM

Problem with starting Thauvin is we’ve no doubt worked on a plan this week which he hasn’t been apart of. Makes more sense to bring him off the bench

• NewcastleMole

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:57 PM

============= Krul =============
    Janmat-Mbemba-Coloccini/Taylor-Haidara
    Sissoko-Colback-Anita/Tiote
    Wijnaldum-Mitrovic-Thauvin/Perez

4-3-3 with the ball
    4-5-1 without

Away at Man Utd i see no other option but to flood midfield and play with pace on the counter. You have to use a Striker who will hold up the ball, Cisse cant do that but he could make a good sub in the 2nd half.
    Stevie Mac should be demanding 120% effort from Wijnaldum & Thauvin if he plays then he can swap them when tired for Obertan & Aarons.
    Tiote if fit has to start we need bite in the middle and Tiote & Mitrovic would give that true it would be competition to see who gets booked first but we need that aggression. Against Swansea there was No leadership which is why i’d choose Taylor over Coloccini alongside Mbemba.

Just my opinion though

• soundoid

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:59 PM

Our Toon

Yep I get it but he’s got to cover all the bases he might not get the CB he wants this window he’s just planning for the first half of this season. He’s no idiot like I said before. He knows like we all do Colo is not the answer and is possibly part of the problem. Rome was not built in a day and he’s giving him the opportunity… for now I don’t think he’ll be on the pitch this time next season he’ll be sold. 2 new CB at the start of the season would be potential suicide. I was a little surprised he started Chancel day one which is the mark of the man.

• Sroka

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:04 PM

With the threat posed by Depay and Shaw on the flank recently vacated by Janmaat I think we have no option but to play 5 at the back. We have no proper cover for RB, so whoever plays there is in for one hell of a game. MY team would be:

Krul
    Obertan Mbemba Colo Taylor Haidara
    Wijnaldum Anita Colback
    De Jong
    Mitrovic

Obertan could do a job there if just concentrates on his pace and athleticism, and stays with the runners, bothers them, etc. and offers and attacking outlet. Mbemba can cover his inevitable boobs and Colo to sweep.

Mitrovic and De Jong should be able to hold up play well and are an unknown, could spring a suprise.

With a strong attacking bench we can be flexible if the match isn’t turning out as planned, and keep VG guessing.

• soundoid

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:10 PM

I post very rarely on here but I’ve said this on previous posts. SM is a product of Alex Ferguson. He will never play his best 11 he’ll always keep a couple of Aces on the bench.

• matt11_25

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:12 PM

I think moving Mbemba to RB is a bad idea. He needs as much game time at CB and with Colo (especially if he isn’t upgraded) as possible. I think I’d go with Anita at RB. Possibly even Colback or Aarons. Go ahead and start Thauvin as well, maybe it will catch the mancs off guard.

• Sroka

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:14 PM

Plus Obertan should be played. Im not his greatest fan, but he showed up well in pre-season, can put a shift in and is quicker than most, he’s even looked one of our better attacking players so far (although only two games in I know, plenty of time for inevitable and dramatic nosedive!). He should be well up for it to show Manure fans what they missed out on, and if he has a worldy two sets of fans would be united in thinking ‘If only he had stayed in Red’

• soundoid

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:15 PM

Salyor has played RB before I think it will be him.

• Take a Chancel on me

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:15 PM

ah right ty AC

• croftus5678

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:16 PM

i’d go

————–darlow—————-
    anita–mbem–colo—-hair
    —————tiote————–
    siss————————rola
    ———wij——siem———
    ————–mitr————–

• matt11_25

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:22 PM

soundid I reckon Tayls has lost some pace since he last played there

• Brummie

Obertan
    Perez
    Tiote

• soundoid

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:29 PM

Matt

Yes mate he has. Don’t think he’ll be pushing forward think we’ll have a ridged back 4.

• Our Toon

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:31 PM

Can people stop with the obertan is quick nonsense, yes he’s quick but when has he ever used his pace more than once in a game?

He doesn’t take the full back on like Montero who uses his pace, he doesn’t use it to track back, he doesn’t us it to go from side to side. Obertan isn’t direct enough as a wide man. His main attribute is bis speed and the nugget doesn’t use it. McClaren should be sitting him down and showing him what Montero does with his pace.

• Our Toon

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:36 PM

The best way to get something from the game on Saturday is to prevent Depay, Mata and Januzaj time on the ball, that means pressing them and not giving them time on the ball like we did with Swansea. The most overrated player in premiership history Wayne Rooney will get frustrated and drop deep, we’ve been incredibly generous to Rooney over the years so he’ll no doubt find the target against us but the lad will revert back to his normal self the week after

• soundoid

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:39 PM

Not the starting 11 I’d go with but I think we might look a little bit like this.
    ——————Krul
    Taylor—Mbemba—Colo—Haidara
    Anita—windy—-Colback–Obertan
    ———-De jong——
    —————Cisse——-

Yep 4-4-2 old school. 2 banks of 4.

• Blofal

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:46 PM

Anita has to start at RB with the sole intent of nullifying Depay.

——————Krul
    Anita – Mbemba – Coloccini – Haidara
    ——–Wijnaldum – Colback
    Obertan——-De Jong——–Aarons
    —————-Mitrovic

Subs: Darlow, Cisse, Perez, Tiote, Thauvin, Taylor, Gouffran

• Our Toon

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:49 PM

Blofal

Depay will be strong and to quick for little Anita, not to mention he’ll beat him in an aerial contest 10 times out 10

• danmuamua

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:52 PM

Based on our current squad i would like to see

Krul

Anita Taylor Mbemba Haidara

Sissoko Colback

Wiji De jong Thauvin

Mitrovic

• Jib

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:58 PM

Although Average ( I think it was him) called me a spunktrumpet ( whatever that is ) I have to tip my hat to him and acknowledge any one who recognises that Gabby the Treen hasn’t got a footy cell in his brain knows their fitba

• Jib

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:00 AM

good call Anita right back

• Belfast

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:05 AM

I have a bad feeling Obertan might be McClarens pet.

Hope I’m wrong.

Pets out!

• geordie157

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:06 AM

Anita is poor at right back,taylor would do his hamstring in the first ten mins, mbemba needs to stay settled at centre back.
    Sign byram tomorrow and play him there.
    Or play a natural right back there and give sterry a game. It’s only depay.

• Belfast

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:06 AM

Could be worse jib you could be a spunkbucket.

• brklyngeordie

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:08 AM

Most disheartening thing about the game coming up is not the squad we have or the opposition being superior to us it is the FACT that we will not be refereed fairly.

Have to say I watch a lot of matches from all over the world every week and I don’t think my bias for NUFC is clouding my thoughts but we really get the shite end of the stick when it comes to referees

Sorry random post I don’t think I’m the only who sees this trash that takes place

• Take a Chancel on me

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:09 AM

Formation of
    4-2-1-3

• Jib

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:10 AM

Ha ha ha
    Average just seen your post to Chancel
    How do you explain to someone from Leeds what a radgepacket is ?
    Leeds you know Gipton ?
    Multiply that by a factor of 5
    Then you have Benwell 😎

• Blaydon-Toon

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:10 AM

Obertan is quick yes and …. Cluless with and without the ball his positional play is awful has no football brain which is a shame as he is a well built athlete and that’s about it – switches off and is a liability when trying to defend

• geordie157

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:11 AM

Moving wijnaldum to right midfield might help though.
    Aaron’s on the left.

Krul
    Sterry, Mbemba, Colo. Haidara
    Wijnaldum, Anita, Colback, Aarons
    De Jong
    Mitrovic

Subs
    Darlow, Taylor, Sissoko, Thauvin, Obertan, Perez, Cisse

• Take a Chancel on me

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:11 AM

brkly you are correct, we hardly ever seem to have a fair referee. No pens last season proves that and when we played Man Ure last season at home the referee was from Manchester, even though the FA have officially changed his hometown to Cheshire