The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Could Be Relegated This Season

10:24 am, Thursday, August 20th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 121 Comments

Leighton James is now 62 and the former winger played most of his football at Burnley and he was born in Swansea and played for a number of clubs  including his home town club and he even spent a year at Sunderland from 1983.

He was capped 54 times for Wales.

Leighton James _1458702a

Leighton James today – now a controversial journalist

Leighton James is now a journalist and he writes a column for the South Wales Evening Post, and since his writings have not been without controversy.

He caused controversy in March 2008 by commenting in the South Wales Evening Post that he would like  to see Cardiff lose to Barnsley in the FA Cup semi-final.

He was also dropped from the BBC for other controversial comments he has made.

Well it looks like he’s still at it – and yesterday he said he wouldn’t be too surprised if Newcastle get relegated this season:

Never mind Sunderland being early tips for relegation — Newcastle fans should also start worrying after last weekend’s display.

The Magpies were absolutely woeful in that 2-0 defeat at the Liberty and anyone who watched the game knows the score could easily have been double that.

Swansea City were so much better than the Geordies it was embarrassing. That was Swansea’s sixth victory over the Magpies in seven games — and the other match ended as a draw.

We’ve gone past the point where Swansea can relish in a good run of results against a once great side. They are now operating on a completely different level to Newcastle.

And, if they’re not careful, Newcastle’s area of the table could be the one that gets booted into the Championship come May.

I don’t think Newcastle will be causing anyone too much pain this season.

We beat Swansea 2-0 in April of 2012 with two goals from newly signed Papiss Cisse so he has his facts wrong there.

But in the nine league games we have played them since they were promoted to the Premier League in 2011, they still have six wins, two draws and one defeat.

Newcastle didn’t play well last Saturday especially in those first 20 minutes, and if we play the same way on Saturday at Old Trafford then the game will be lost rather quickly.

Newcastle have to show that they are side difficult to beat this season – and therefore make it a lot different from the disaster of last season.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Manchester United?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Newcastle News · Other News · Poll · Premier League

121 responses so far ↓

• 1 alkinou // Aug 20, 2015 at 10:27 AM

Eurosport thinking Marseille are the better off of the two teams with this Thauvin – Cabella swap :

• 2 Ron Knee // Aug 20, 2015 at 10:32 AM

BandB
    I think a shock result is more likely against Arsenal, with Sissoko trying to impress Arsène!

• 3 BandB // Aug 20, 2015 at 10:32 AM

He’s not a journalist. He’s a columnist and columnists are paid to court controversy.
    Who gives a toss what he thinks.

• 4 SanD // Aug 20, 2015 at 10:37 AM

Who cares what this blokes opinion is.

• 5 thevirus // Aug 20, 2015 at 10:38 AM

Never heard of this muppet so I certainly won’t be paying any attention to his points of view. I think we are a mid table team maybe slightly better if we strengthen our defence

• 6 Tunami // Aug 20, 2015 at 10:39 AM

Who gives a *** what this scum thinks – is he playing Fergie’s mind games for him now he can’t do it himself.
    Everyone – take note – and when Newcastle DON’T get relegated , all drop him a little reminder about how knowledgeable he isn’t!

• 7 thevirus // Aug 20, 2015 at 10:39 AM

Massive if that

• 8 SanD // Aug 20, 2015 at 10:42 AM

Tunami
    Send a copy to Robbie savage

• 9 martoon // Aug 20, 2015 at 10:43 AM

He is right – we were pants last Saturday but we did play with 10 men for a lot of the game and hopefully when the new players gel we will improve.

• 10 The overrated Frenchman // Aug 20, 2015 at 10:45 AM

I remember him well from the ‘seventies. Good player. Didn’t know he was a pundit.

• 11 widowmagandapoke // Aug 20, 2015 at 10:49 AM

We will have a better idea after our tough start. Don’t see us as relegation candidates Leighton but we do need another defender. I think left back position needs attention then we have the option of Dummet at CB in case of injuries to current mob.

• 12 sparky55 // Aug 20, 2015 at 10:53 AM

to be fair we were awful against Swansea and looked like relation fodder…but we are better than that display and we definitely won’t be relegated.

I guess the ultimate FCUK YOU would be for newcastle to finish ahead for swansea but that might be a bit much to hope for.

…and yes…his twitter page or whatever will get some stick come the end of the season

• 13 clinath@ed // Aug 20, 2015 at 10:53 AM

It appears there are are 50,001 opinions

• 14 Rotonda heights // Aug 20, 2015 at 10:55 AM

the only valid point leighton james has is when you go through the 2 teams who played on saturday how many newcastle players would get in a combined swansea / newcastle mash up. Answer – very few.

• 15 G // Aug 20, 2015 at 10:57 AM

Say what you like about the bloke, but if you read the full column, which is based only on that game, it’s hard to disagree with him. Yes, if we play like we did against Swansea, then yes, relegation would be a real worry. I’m hoping that match was just a blip. Anyway, bring on Manyoo, every game I have seen them play under LVG they look very beatable. I have a feeling that this one could be ours. Howay the Toon.

• 16 The overrated Frenchman // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:04 AM

I’m surprised that people on here don’t see us as potential relegation candidates. I mean, we were last season were we not? Lucky to survive we were, to be fair. Are we that much better now? I’m yet to be convinced. I think we are clearly a bottom third proposition, and if you are at that end of the table you have to be vulnerable. Fair play to the club, they’ve spent some money, but the Swansea game looked all too much like last season’s miserable performances for me to feel that things have really turned around.

• 17 Slank // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:04 AM

G @ 15

If you read the pundits view of the precious game against Southampton it’s a completely different story.

• 18 Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:05 AM

Conveys it like an arse but you can’t argue with the gist of it.

• 19 Rotonda heights // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:06 AM

Ian Toon // Aug 20, 2015 at 10:40 AM

” Don’t take this the wrong way” or with all due respect. There are idiots on here on so many levels
    – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

Way to ingratiate yourself with fellow bloggers there Ian.

On another tact surely a swap with Rivi (+ cash) and Abdennour, on similar lines to Thauvin/ Cabella would be ideal. Quite like the sound of Rolan for Goofy + cash too.

• 20 G // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:07 AM

@17, agreed, if Soton hadn’t taken a kicking off Everton this weekend though I would be happier about our point with them. I still think we look like a fairly poor team, however, I have great confidence that we will improve and do much better than next year. I can see us definitely finishing in the top ten, however, I can’t see us needing our passports next year, unless we do fluke the LC / FAC.

• 21 Jib // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:08 AM

Leighton James mentions not one word about NUFC being down to 10 men for over an hour.
    Good columnist that he is !!!

• 22 derekm // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:09 AM

I AM old enough to remember Leighton James – he was a very good player but even then always got into trouble with ridiculous statements. Time to ignore another has been making a sleazy living from outlandish comments.
    Ashley was obviously scared to death by last years flirt with relegation, as well as the dramatic slump in season ticket sales until he opened his wallet! He simply CANNOT AFFORD not to invest heavily against going down and the crazy cash he might lose.

• 23 The overrated Frenchman // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:10 AM

Jib, did you like what you saw before the sending off? I didn’t…

• 24 Slank // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:12 AM

The overrated Frenchman @ 16

The general consensus of opinion, based on historical evidence, from most pundits is that the teams that just escape relegation and the teams newly promoted are the clubs that have the highest risk of being relegated.

However, it isn’t always the case that all three newly promoted clubs get relegated but it’s almost guaranteed that at least one newly promoted club will be relegated.

Teams which regularly hover around the lower reaches season after season eventually get relegated. Aston Villa and Sunderland are the favourites this year.

• 25 sparky55 // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:12 AM

On dear…SM has just resorted to a Pardewism of the worst kind by saying…Don’t judge my Newcastle team until 12 games in!!!

Hate it when a manager says that!

• 26 sparky55 // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:14 AM

Ron

Methinks Sissoko will have left by then

• 27 Magpies4Life // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:14 AM

One could argue that any team in any league can be relegated in any season. But forget about that & let’s watch the league unfold.

• 28 Ian Toon // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:15 AM

Rotunda- You need to place in context – though I was not on a charm offensive.
    The every transfer is a risk point- our super scout likely has an explanation – Fecundo Ferreyra last season, to my knowledge didn’t make an appearance not even on the bench.

• 29 G // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:16 AM

@27, agreed. Strictly speaking Chelsea and Citeh could be relegated. It’s very unlikely, but possible (Wouldn’t it be nice if they were though?)

• 30 Jib // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:20 AM

The overrated Frenchman
    I mentioned on a previous thread I have watched the Swansea game about 5 times since last weekend and in my opinion people are over – dramatising how bad we were.
    Remember we were playing with 9 men against their 11 .
    I always think with Obertan in the side the opposition have a player start.
    I know he stung the goalies hands a couple of times but his overall contribution to any game is abysmal.

• 31 SanD // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:20 AM

When should we be judging mcclaren’s team? He hasn’t been there long, a lot of work to do with the players already at the club with confidence being at an all time low after last season. New players brought in and need to gel with the rest of the squad.

• 32 Bobbybee // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:24 AM

I remember him too, he was a dirty little toad who liked to nip, kick, pull hair, the full monty. A gobshyte of the highest order and hey! Nothings changed. Anybody who makes a statement like that, based on one game, about a team and manager yet to settle and click – one not even finished in the transfer market – is quite simply making a rod for his own back. He always was a miserable whining toerag, so I advise anybody who doesn’t remember him to take what he says with a pinch of salt. He always had far too much to say for himself about other players and teams. It’s a miserable photo of a miserable man. Nuff said.

• 33 WWSBRD // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:25 AM

Jib
    Uve watched the Swansea game 5 times since last week? U need to get something going in ur life mate if thats true…though I suspect its not

• 34 Jib // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:30 AM

WWSBRD
    I don’t watch TV crap so while you are sitting slack jawed enthralled by Emmerdale Eastenders Corry and Loose women I’m watching footy.

• 35 The overrated Frenchman // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:31 AM

Jib – you reckon we were a man short with Obertan. Others will say the same about Colo, Sissoko, Haidara, Anita and Colback! Bottom line is we never look rock solid, competent or imposing, and I don’t think any other team in the league will feel they have anything to fear when they play us.

• 36 Jib // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:31 AM

Bobbybee
    Welsh ex mackem !!!!
    We just need to be told he’s married to an Australian sheila and he’d have a brag hand.
    Ha ha ha

• 37 Ron Knee // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:32 AM

sparky
    Fair point!

• 38 Slank // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:33 AM

SanD

It has to be at the end of the season.

McClaren has a new coaching team around him. They have to gel. He intends to implement a new style of play which will take time to implement and refine of which some of his existing players may not be able to adjust to. He also has new arrivals who have no experience of the country and the Premiership.

• 39 Bobbybee // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:34 AM

SandD, you’re spot on mate, the side isn’t settled yet, they’re still adapting to the new philosophy and it will take time to make any judgement worthy of the name. Whereas I think we should – should – have enough, other think differently and that’s simply because it’s too early to judge. We’re guessing, nothing more. I think how I think because I’m an optimist, that’s probably the truth of it, but even I won’t say ‘we will be safe for sure’ because of our old friend ‘sods law’ – who has a tendency to bite you back. He’s asked for 10-12 games before judgement which sounds reasonable to me.

• 40 WWSBRD // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:35 AM

Jib
    So u sit and re watch the team u support play terribly and lose? Yeah am not buying it

• 41 Partizan // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:35 AM

Ed he’s right about the stats,the game where we won 2-0 would make it the last 8 games and he mentioned last 7…

• 42 Bobbybee // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:37 AM

Jib, look at that miserable face. Do you think any woman could wake up next to that every morning? More likely to be a Thai bride bought on the internet! 🙂

• 43 jimmysmith // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:41 AM

………… and was once a very dashing figure on the flanks, who played in the same Burnley team as the quite wonderful Peter Noble, who himself resembled more a dishevelled world weary accountant, than the footballing maestro he clearly was to anyone with only a cursory appreciation of the game. Sadly for myself, and my own youth gone too soon, I remember them both vividly.

• 44 Bobbybee // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:41 AM

Still think one more signing – obvious position – could make this a very good window. Compared to the past, it’s already a good one, but just that one more signing…

• 45 BandB // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:41 AM

There’s nothing wrong with the club asking for 12 games before they are judged.
    Indeed, I intend to give them a lot longer to show they have ditched their old ways.

• 46 BrightonMag // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:42 AM

Mornin y’all…Word circulating round Brighton this morning that Lewis Dunk is on his way to the toon for around 6m…

• 47 Bobbybee // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:43 AM

He was still a WUM for all his talent. 🙂

• 48 cyprus // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:44 AM

Embarrassing that a guy like this could drag us through dirt and not be too far off.

Still, I’m sticking with my knocking on CL door prediction 🙂 We’re buying quality these days, biggest net spenders in the league. Surely this will translate to success, sometime in the next 3 windows. Only one certainty in football: money buys success.

Two of the so-called certs (Chelsea, ManU) have been terrible thus far, so you never know.

• 49 Jib // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:44 AM

WWSBRD
    No denial about watching the soaps
    I AM buying
    Ha ha ha
    Sad bastid

• 50 Bobbybee // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:44 AM

Brighton, tell me that’s true matey!!!

• 51 Jib // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:46 AM

• 52 BrightonMag // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:47 AM

I hope so Bobby…only passing on what I’ve heard though…not sure about it’s validity

• 53 SanD // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:47 AM

I think the end of the season is a good time to judge mcclaren and the team. We still have the remainder of this transfer window and I’m expecting us to be active in the January window, so more new faces to be introduced. Where we finish at the end of the season will be a good way to measure his success or failings.

• 54 expatmag // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:49 AM

Brighton

Any reliable sources?

• 55 Bobbybee // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:50 AM

BandB, 12 games is reasonable, I couldn’t agree more. Maybe longer, with all the turmoil the team’s been through – third manager in under a season! I actually believe a corner has been turned and the future looks a lot better, but naturally I am prepared to be shot down in flames by our own owner. Dunno why like, it just feels like a change to me. 🙂

• 56 jimmysmith // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:52 AM

Absolutely, 12 games to fairly begin judge this group of players. Another two or three windows to reasonably begin to judge the owners capacity and sincerity.

• 57 BandB // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:52 AM

Bobbybee,

I think the next test for me comes when we see the team sheet for Northampton.

• 58 The overrated Frenchman // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:54 AM

Jinky@43 – were you playing that day Peter Noble scored a hat-trick of headers against us?

• 59 cestriasteve // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:55 AM

There must have been a reason why Thauvin had such a poor second half of last season. If Steve Mc is going to play him I’d play him from the start, give him 60 mins mind you I think he won’t play on Saturday.

• 60 saxonfenken // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:55 AM

Charlie Nicholas has also tipped Us to get relegated, as well. but all he is an Asenal Whore

• 61 WWSBRD // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:56 AM

Jib
    Dont have time to watch soaps I watch 48 hours of football every day…no thats a lie though I dont actually watch soap I do watch my fair share of terrible TV but soaps arent one on the list

Regardless of that u are still talking guff saying u watched Swansea vs NUFC 6 times, thats just a BS imo and so quickly resorting to name calling and insults…not exactly showing urself in a great light are u

• 62 BrightonMag // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:58 AM

expat…none whatsoever I’m afraid, just some whisperings from a few friends…I’ll keep looking around though…

• 63 Bobbybee // Aug 20, 2015 at 11:59 AM

I’d take Dunk as the final signing. He’s dominant in the air and good in the tackle and will compliment Mbemba. I know we need other players, but realistically, that would be a very good window and a decent side. £50m plus net spend is the best this window. The mind boggles.

• 64 SanD // Aug 20, 2015 at 12:00 PM

BandB

I too am very intrigued to see what team he puts out for that game and see if we are going to genuinely take the cup games seriously.

• 65 nut meg // Aug 20, 2015 at 12:02 PM

12 games sounds a bit optimistic to me but hope that’s all he needs.
    Leighton James was a flying winger who liked to run & shoot from what I remember of him.He’s also a gobsh8te.
    For those that’s interested here’s a link to a live radio show when him & Robbie Savage are having a right old go at each other….2 wan**** together.

• 66 hibbit // Aug 20, 2015 at 12:02 PM

i think were we are christmas will be time to judge….. a lot on here think he has a great squad and are tipping top 10 on saturdays game we could be bottom 3….. the next 11 days are the key to were we end up

• 67 Bobbybee // Aug 20, 2015 at 12:04 PM

BandB, doesn’t it just! I’ve got my ticket already so he better not let me down. I don’t expect a full first team to be risked, I just don’t want us to take any risks that might see us knocked out.

• 68 Lynny // Aug 20, 2015 at 12:06 PM

Is this former Mackem pulling my plonker or what? You’ll see what relegation football is this weekend when the unwashed host Swansea! Aye the result was worrying, but these idiots clearly didn’t watcH Swansea play Chelsea off the park the week before either. I saw the Swansea result etc coming a mile away, but at the end of the day it’s forced our hand to bring in a winger that brings in goals and hopefully another proven centre half too. Ideally I think another proven left back hours into the mix would be ideal cos if you melted dummett and haidara into one player they still wouldn’t be up to the job! I don’t think we need another centre forward, cos any combination of Perez, Motrovic and Cisse will bang the goals in if they get service. Anyhow I can’t see us being in any danger of getting relegated this season. Based off this absolute twonks opinion I may go into a football pundit in Wales! Ha ha

• 69 Mister Tuff // Aug 20, 2015 at 12:12 PM

Couple of good laughs so far today.
    Eds’ typo re Waddle playing for a 100 years at Sunderland.
    If the error had not been corrected Jib would have done a piece about the oldest footballer in the world.

Second laugh was Nag the Cobra slagging off expat for being duplicitous – rich coming from him.

And lastly was Nag -bitch slapping down one of his tag team – Jib. Haha squabbling amongst themselves.

Come on jib -are you going to respond to your bitch slapping.

• 70 Bobbybee // Aug 20, 2015 at 12:12 PM

The chronicle has just posted a story suggesting we’re still in for Abdennour.

• 71 SanD // Aug 20, 2015 at 12:16 PM

According to lee Ryder – but what does he know.

• 72 jayphoto // Aug 20, 2015 at 12:17 PM

Hard to judge the Swansea game as we were down to 10 men for such a long time against possibly the worst team to play a man down in terms of their ball retention.
    I think 12 games is a good marker on where the team is, can’t take much from these early days. We’ll be a different side when Mitrovic, De Jong and Thauvin are up to speed. Remember the whole side has to adapt to a new playing philosophy and that doesn’t happen over night. Took Brendan Rodgers a season to get Liverpool playing on his play book and BR walked into a lot better of a Liverpool side than McClaren has Newcastle.
    People need to remember last season we were still in a relegation fight and not safe until the 85minute of the last game of the season… crazy that some fans expect that just 1 league game later we’ll go away to Swansea and dominate…

• 73 Bobbybee // Aug 20, 2015 at 12:18 PM

SanD, that’s why I said ‘suggested’. 🙂 Not the greatest source!

• 74 scout // Aug 20, 2015 at 12:19 PM

What a tool. Relegated??? Has he been at the aeroplane glue?
    That comment alone ensures I will never read anything else from him.

• 75 jayphoto // Aug 20, 2015 at 12:20 PM

I like abdennour. I really like him, he’s almost like the hulk in take no prisoners style. (green hulk (or red hulk) not Brazilian one)
    But he is an absolute sick note!!! He makes Steven Taylor look like bruce willis in unbreakable!
    On another note, it’d be amusing if we sign him because he’s another player like Mitrovic that home fans love and the rest of the league absolutely hate! Similar to Pepe, diego costa etc…

• 76 Bobbybee // Aug 20, 2015 at 12:20 PM

Jay, the voice of reason marra. Well put.

• 77 Jib // Aug 20, 2015 at 12:22 PM

Mister Tuff
    Where would the blog be without you ?
    You bring so much to the table.

• 78 Reyantoon // Aug 20, 2015 at 12:22 PM

Afternoon
    Sissoko out until September apparently.I guess our chances of getting something at oldtraford
    faded away 🙁

I will be surprised if we sign a center back.If there is any incoming after Thauvin,i think it will be Rolan,with Goufran heading back to his former club.

• 79 Ian Toon // Aug 20, 2015 at 12:23 PM

Sparky- I said 10 games yesterday. It may not yet be a brave new world but it is a new beginnings at the toon. New coaching staff. New players. A new playing style. Most significantly, there is a new manager/coach . Macca has said that he wants to assess the players and this is well underway. A number under performed last season and Macca’s opinions could well differ regarding those favoured last season. Some will positively respond to a clean slate.

I can see a strong argument for this to apply to our fans too. All teams have a practice of choosing a few players to blame when things aren’t going well often before anything actually happens!!
    We’ve always had scapegoats at the toon with certain players abused as they come onto the field but this a changing of the guard; let’s give the likes of Obertan a chance along with the rest of the squad. I would not be surprised if Obby was not again in the starting line up at Old Trafford on the right flank.
    It is all about opinions and football fans are viciously impatient and judgmental. Drawing conclusions without walking in the shoes of those that manage and play. The manager has been working with the players all week in training, monitoring performance levels and coaching them in areas where improvement is needed. Clearly they know more about their players than a supporter watching the game .

• 80 WWSBRD // Aug 20, 2015 at 12:25 PM

jayphoto
    Aymen is injury prone?

• 81 Bobbybee // Aug 20, 2015 at 12:26 PM

Jay, when Batty was at Leeds and Blackburn I hated him with a passion. Yet when he signed for us, I suddenly appreciated him for the player he was. Strangely enough, I also hated Dennis Wise when he was at Chelsea, but when he came to Newcastle, I hated him even more. Weird that? 🙂

• 82 lesh // Aug 20, 2015 at 12:26 PM

Ian Toon

You’re talking sense and we can’t have that on here.

Mend your ways or the Blog police’ll be paying you s visit!!

😀

• 83 Ian Toon // Aug 20, 2015 at 12:26 PM

Jib- My advice( for what it’s worth) don’t fall for any scheming dirty tricks.

• 84 deeps // Aug 20, 2015 at 12:26 PM

Sissoko out for 2 weeks according to paul Simpson

• 85 Ian Toon // Aug 20, 2015 at 12:28 PM

Lesh – Thanks. Coming from you it’s appreciated.

• 86 Bobbybee // Aug 20, 2015 at 12:28 PM

Ian, amen to that!

• 87 SanD // Aug 20, 2015 at 12:28 PM

If sissoko is out then perfect opportunity for thauvin to start at the weekend or put Perez out there.

• 88 lochinvar // Aug 20, 2015 at 12:30 PM

Leighton James – Apprentice to Robbie Savage.
    You’re fired !

• 89 Mister Tuff // Aug 20, 2015 at 12:36 PM

jib – I take that as a compliment – quality gags and honest perceptions is my offering.

Talking about honest perceptions someone,was it you, cannot recall now, was advised not to get into the opinion versus judgement debate. Bit of a cheeky instruction to someone else not to involve themselves in a particular topic.
    wind the clock forward and we see that same person talking about opinions and judgements himself. Arrogance and duplicity of the highest order.

• 90 jimmysmith // Aug 20, 2015 at 12:37 PM

Ian Toon is a very good and loyal contributor to the blog, in my view..Surely the fact he has continued to post well, despite all the derision and vitriol, should suggest he has a commitment along with the insight to have earned at least the letting of sleeping dogs to lie. Truce please.

• 91 Jib // Aug 20, 2015 at 12:39 PM

I’ve had a sniff around the Southern press and am of the opinion that Chris Hughton is out of the loop . The owner of Albion is going to cash in.

Dunk has been left out for the last 2 games.

Now whether it’s us or Fulham I don’t know but Dunk is defo offmans

• 92 WWSBRD // Aug 20, 2015 at 12:44 PM

Tuff
    Are u picking on Jib? Howay the lad has spent up to 12 hours watching the swans game this week, lad likely needs a break

• 93 jayphoto // Aug 20, 2015 at 12:49 PM

@wwsbrd – yeah, fairly injury prone. Think he’s missed 3-4 months of both of the last 2 seasons.
    Pretty sure he’s not played more than 20 games for the last 3 seasons which is an achievement considering Monaco had European and cups so he missed over half the games.
    He’s had big problems with soft tissue injuries, groin and hamstrings I think

• 94 spitfire_ // Aug 20, 2015 at 12:50 PM

Go home, Leighton, you’re drunk.

• 95 Slank // Aug 20, 2015 at 12:52 PM

It’s totally immaterial whether McClaren is judged after 12 games, at Christmas or at the end of the season as he will remain in the job irrespective.

The club is not going to sack him and his coaching team.

• 96 WWSBRD // Aug 20, 2015 at 12:55 PM

jayphoto
    Oh well thats interesting and worrying, thanks for that u jerk haha
    Sounds like just what we need get shot of Willo and bring in company for Saylor and de Jong on the injury table.
    U dont write for WhatCultureNUFC do u?

• 97 jayphoto // Aug 20, 2015 at 12:55 PM

@wwsbrd – not as bad as I thought actually http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/aymen-abdennour/verletzungen/spieler/108830

• 98 sweendog // Aug 20, 2015 at 1:02 PM

good article on abdennour

• 99 jayphoto // Aug 20, 2015 at 1:04 PM

@WWSBRD – not sure how accurate that injury record is, because I’m fairly sure he’s injured at the moment till September and that’s not on it. I guess it doesn’t account for games he was technically uninjured but working his way back to match fitness either because I’m sure he’s missed more games that that? He’s 26 and played under 150 games. Made his debut in 2008 so that’s 130 games in 7 years averaging out about 18 games a season. Very similar games per season to steven taylor who over the course of his career has averaged 17.5 appearances per season….

• 100 Whumpie // Aug 20, 2015 at 1:07 PM

He’s obviously filling column-inches and getting his profile up by taking an opinion and amplifying it.

I don’t think he’s being completely daft, either. I don’t think we’re looking like relegation fodder, but could easily be so if we don’t get another decent defender in. Gone are the days when you can get out of trouble in the PL by scoring lots of goals; better-drilled, more cautious defensive line-ups and rule changes have stopped that.

Right now, we have a pretty woeful defense when we DO have all players fit; if we don’t buy, then we will once again be back to playing kids and anyone else (strikers, goalies, mascots) to make up a back four.

So if we get Abdennour or someone of his calibre, then Mr James’s concerns will end up looking misplaced. But as of yesterday and following Sunday’s performance… he’s not being completely unreasonable.

• 101 jayphoto // Aug 20, 2015 at 1:08 PM

I like dunk as a player….
    But is no1 a bit unnerved by the fact that he looks like Mike Williamsons love child…..

• 102 WWSBRD // Aug 20, 2015 at 1:08 PM

jayphoto
    20mill for a lad that played barely more than Saylor in the last 7 years? U have rather dampened my feelings towards Aymen

• 103 jayphoto // Aug 20, 2015 at 1:10 PM

@WWSBRD – if its any consolation, when he’s on the pitch he’s like Pepe with a bit of pace. The guys an animal. Should be working on the door of some Russian mafia night club rather than be a footballer! He’s not going to be on a brylcreem ad any time soon either, he’s lets say ‘aesthetically displeasing’ on the eye

• 104 SanD // Aug 20, 2015 at 1:12 PM

Slank
    Whether he is guaranteed to keep his job or not doesn’t prevent fans forming an opinion on how he has performed over the season.

• 105 Shadow_Shearer // Aug 20, 2015 at 1:18 PM

I’m surprised McClaren has said 12 games before judging him. I would think with a new manager, whole new coaching staff, 5 or 6 new players (hopefully abdennour included) which is half a team, new philosophy from a team who could’t put half a dozen passes together, only work in defending in training to become an attractive attacking passing team, is gonna take way longer than 12 games. It will be at least double that before we see some kind of real difference. On top of that it could be a season or possible even two before we are even recognised an attacking team.

• 106 WWSBRD // Aug 20, 2015 at 1:20 PM

jayphoto
    Well better than what we have got by the sounds of it even if it is for just 20 games a season, suppose he can take team with Saylor

• 107 WWSBRD // Aug 20, 2015 at 1:23 PM

tag team sorry

• 108 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 20, 2015 at 1:26 PM

Well O watched that game and everything Leighton James is saying is spot on…

…I don’t think we’ll be relegated though, BUT if we don’t take the trouble we have with our woeful defense and our trouble with scoring goals more serious then we will be bottom feeders!

• 109 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 20, 2015 at 1:27 PM

*O = I

• 110 jayphoto // Aug 20, 2015 at 1:27 PM

@WWSBRD – When Abdennour is fit he is the best CB in France. To be honest that was the case when he was at Toulouse too. Don’t think the guy has ever had an off season. On paper, he would slot in next to Mbemba unbelievably.
    I’m surprised if we sign him to be honest, as I honestly think, Man City aside (Kompany, Mangala and Otamendi) that he would walk into every starting line up in the premier league. Maybe in Europe there are only 4 or 5 teams where he wouldn’t be a starter, I can only think of Bayern, Real Madrid, Man City and possibly Juventus where he wouldn’t walk into the back 4!

• 111 jayphoto // Aug 20, 2015 at 1:33 PM

Didn’t log on yesterday as had a crazy long working day but I’m assuming everyone is as excited by Thauvin as me??
    Said the right things in his interviews for me, sounds like he might be ready to go straight into the side against Man Utd. Genuine flair player that will get us off our feet!
    He’s the signing I feel we can most judge Carr on. Big big price! Club have bid on him in 3 separate windows so he’s obviously a first choice Carr recommendation.
    Rarely judge carr as I feel we usually probably miss his first 3 recommendations but I can’t imagine Wijnaldum, Mitrovic and Thauvin weren’t first choices!
    As far as Carr is concerned now, we got the manager he wanted. We’re signing his first choice recommendations! This season, good or bad is more on him than any other we’ve had. Lets be honest, he’s a director of football working under a scouts title…

• 112 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 20, 2015 at 1:34 PM

Jay…maybe his injury record (taking his fee into consideration) has put alot of teams off?

• 113 JamesToon // Aug 20, 2015 at 1:34 PM

shadow shearer 105

I agree and i do think Mcclaren knows that it will take half year, possibly even a whole year for the transition, however can you imagine the amount of stick he’d get from the negative fans if he said that

• 114 WWSBRD // Aug 20, 2015 at 1:35 PM

jayphoto
    But then u think Shaqiri is in the top 5 wingers in the world mate haha

Nar he might be great I dont really know but I dont think he will be coming here in all honesty

• 115 Shadow_Shearer // Aug 20, 2015 at 1:36 PM

True James toon. I didn’t think of that.

• 116 WWSBRD // Aug 20, 2015 at 1:38 PM

JamesToon
    I think ur under estimating how much time McClaren would of been given tbh but he came out and said top 8 and a cup run is the aim this season. Thats what hes going to be judged on now

• 117 will die for the toon army // Aug 20, 2015 at 1:39 PM

I hate the silence from Charnely and Carr. but its better not to know wat we failed and who we were after. it a good thing sometimes.

They talk less now look at what David Sullivan has jst done. If u have no money for Austin shut up and look else where.

Charnely has lost so many battles won some but never starts a fight. He wld have hit back at the Montpellier chairman or the Lyon guy but jst kept quite. Gentle man.

Monk saying we came to hurt Montello. the answer got from Mcca class act. Janmaat red card came out and apologised class act.

BIG UP NUFC.

• 118 pawl250 // Aug 20, 2015 at 1:50 PM

Thinking about the recent transfer it does not really fill me with excitement. If anything I feel we have been robbed.

Cabella has not been great, but he is so similar to Thauvin as a player. Yes he does have more potential but based on what the fans of OM are saying, they are glad too see the back of him, Nevermind 12m plus a player they rate more.

I would have rather kept Cabella and brought Thauvin in too add depth, or use the money elsewhere like a centre back and a right back.

Just another flop waiting to happen. Atleast we will get some money next year for Cabella, talk of 8m if he meets “certain criterias”

I do not think he would have made a great player in the PL watching him, he simply was not the PL type. Hopefully Thauvin is but I feel likes its a like for like swap with a large sum of cash going out aswell.

• 119 beefman13 // Aug 20, 2015 at 3:32 PM

Leighton James x Mackem go and boil your head u red n white twat.

Yes Mclaren does remind me of Pardew the way he talks and operates, i can just see him if we have a bad start then start to pick up, saying i knew the results would come players had to settle in yada yada yada! same type as Percy imo.

• 120 Moonraker15 // Aug 20, 2015 at 5:13 PM

Leighton James tell us something we don’t know! Except we won’t get relegated as we had the worst manager and team last year and still didn’t go down !

• 121 Ravostag // Aug 20, 2015 at 6:05 PM

Wow leighton james top pundit with a crystal ball

previous post: Poll – Can Newcastle Get Anything At Old Trafford?

next post: Hammers Don’t Want Austin – Newcastle Plan Working Perfectly