Rumors Growing About Newcastle Signing Top Defender

The rumors seem to be growing that Newcastle are trying to sign Monaco center-back Aymen Abdennour, with La Provence reporting on Monday that he would become Newcastle’s number one target once the Florian Thauvin deal was tied – and that was completed yesterday – with Remy Cabella going the other way – initially on loan.

And then a reporter on his Twitter account, who covers Russian football but also has contacts in France, said it was his understanding that Newcastle were close to a deal for the Tunisian center-back.

This is the report on that we released earlier today.

Aymen Abdennour close up ion blue-300x200

Aymen Abdennour – more stories we are after him

The Chronicle has released an article saying that  Aymen Abdennour is indeed a target of Newcastle’s, and it seems we may have more than one player we will try to sign before the end of the window a week on Monday.

Steve McClaren has also talked about the five signings we have made this summer – and he used the words “so far” which means we are still trying to get more through the door.

“The quality of our signings has been very good.” “It’s a rebuilding job and a slow process, but it’s not eight, nine or 10 players at a time.” “We had to make sure we got quality and we have certainly achieved that in our transfers so far this summer.”

Whether we can do that remains to be seen,  but Newcastle have already brought in Georginio Wijnaldum, Aleksandar Mitrovic, Chancel Mbemba, Ivan Toney and Florian Thauvin in that order for just over £50M .

Most fans think we have done well so far this summer in getting four senior players through the door for an average of £12.5M each – so they are not cheap – and Mike Ashley has kept his word to splash the cash.

If we can get Aymen Abdennour through the door, he could even become the biggest signing ever by Newcastle, beating the £17M we paid to Real Madrid for Michael Owen in August of 2005, when Graeme Souness was the manager.

There are a number of big clubs after the big 6’2″ central defender,  and he has said he wants to play in the Champions League.

But that’s also what Aleksandar Mitrovic said before he finally arrived on Tyneside, and the 20 year-old  also seemed to be delighted to join the Magpies, whom he supported growing up in Serbia and we also learned that  Alan Shearer was his idol.

If Newcastle can sign Aymen Abdennour it would help fill the holes at the back – and it would be a tremendous signing for the club – maybe even the best of the summer.

Although it’s got to be said that Newcastle have made some great signings this summer – so far.

• JamesToon

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:30 PM

Jonathan de Guzman linked with Marseille and Sunderland for just £3.5m. At that price I think he’d be a good signing for us, powerhouse with good technical ability can dictate the game from deep midfield

• davetoon

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:31 PM

please be true about Abdennour

• JackButler

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:32 PM

If this does happen, then I don’t think anyone can be anything else other than amazed at our transfer window as we’d be looking close to twenty million for this lad

• STB

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:35 PM

No chance at over 15m.
    Italy or Valencia who have just sold otamendi. If UK, maybe Spurs.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:38 PM

I like this blog, but it’s a bugg3r trying to keep up to speed.

I note JIB has watched the Swansea game 5 times. I’d have expected to see some detailed, insightful analysis from the old fella because surely you must have a purpose for doing that? JIB, do you want to share it with us or have you been asked to compile a top secret dossier for Makro and Costco? Apologies if I missed your findings.

• SanD

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:40 PM

Can’t see it happening although would be excellent if true

• Our Toon

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:41 PM

I never thought I’d agree with Sullivan but his assessment of Austin is spot on, more importantly hos assessment of how Austin played against them when it really mattered for his club. Austin scored 4 pens think he missed 2 last season…..can only dream of us getting 6 pens this season.

As for McClaren, I’m not going to judge until January, my biggest gripe is that preseason was a time to get players together and work on a certain philosophy but we played on plastic pitches and went on a piss tour which did nothing to prepare the team for the upcoming season.

I hope we get this fella, anyone else reporting it or is everyone reporting what the tweet started?

• JAMSHA

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:41 PM

they will ask 30mil wich we cant pay

• SanD

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:43 PM

Our toon

Pre-season was organised with the help of carver. Need I say more.

• WWSBRD

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:45 PM

JB
    Just u wait for the sting in the tail bud, though with our current squad its a struggle to think how they can rip the heart out of it

Wonder what is happening behind the scenes though while we are watching this hand I mean

• croftus5678

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:45 PM

highly doubtfull but i bloody hope so as he will improve us no end as have every one of our 5 signings tbh !

• davetoon

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:45 PM

Maybe Monaco would come down in price if they don’t make the group stage of the Champions League

• WWSBRD

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:46 PM

SanD
    Carver was left in charge by the club, need I say more

• Blackley and Brownlie

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:47 PM

I don’t think you need to watch the Swansea game five times to appreciate that our defence is a shambles.

Janmaat is over rated by Toon fans; he’s an average right back at best.

I dont kmow whether JIB spotted it, but by the end, Colo was wearing a red nose, chasing a fire engine and honking a horn.

It is my prediction that we will be analysing plenty of goals conceded for many weeks to come. Makro will have no choice but to bench Colo. It comes to the best of them in the end. Look at Terry. And Colo’s not in the same league as him. If we don’t sign another CB, expect to see Makro look to Dummett.

• melt

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:47 PM

Monaco have no reason to come down in price.

I’d put likelihood for this move at around 15-20%. I’m struggling to think of approachable and realistic Centreback names, I’d be happy with the mooted Dunk deal, but outside of that, Jonny Evans anyone?

• JackButler

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:47 PM

WWSBRD

It’s all slight of hand mate but at least this time the hand we are all watching doesn’t have its middle finger raised to us 🙂

• croftus5678

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:48 PM

a say try a straight swap abdennour for williamson…maybe with money coming our way also if possible 😉

• JackButler

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:48 PM

Melt

van Dyjk?

• SanD

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:49 PM

WWSBRD
    Very true

• Thump

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:50 PM

@croftus: Surely adding Williamson to a potential deal would just increase their asking price?

• Tsunki

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:50 PM

Can’t believe I missed today’s Austin article. Had sandwiches, biscuit and juice ready.

• WWSBRD

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:51 PM

JB
    Haha very true but I imagine the other hand is doing something very questionable somewhere unless Ashley truely has hit rock bottom and he cant think of a way to slyly do us over…had to happen eventually I suppose

Maybe we are back to the beginning of the 5 year plan?

• Magpies4Life

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:51 PM

Judging McClaren & the team before the halfway stage of the season would be premature in my opinion. The most accurate reading would be next season, not this one. Too many changes and new faces.

• melt

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:51 PM

Blackley and Brownlie,

Janmaat is not average at best. At his best, he’s probably the best right back outside the Europa places, and at his average he’s top 3 outside the Europa places behind Coleman and that’s probably it. He’s far better than the likes of Naughton or Cedric who are getting massive game time at ‘better’ clubs than us.

Flippant remarks like that just deter from some actually vaild points

• croftus5678

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:51 PM

@20 thump

ah right ye you got a point i’ll re-fraze that to saylor ^^ 😉

• melt

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:52 PM

JackButler,

Yep. Van Dijk would be perfect. Tall, rangy, good on the ball and, most of all, a solid professional who doesn’t panic.

• Mister Tuff

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:53 PM

A blessing in disguise maybe is that we concede a few at the weekend where Colo is at fault -this would surely have the effect of forcing the clubs’ hand to do something about it.
    I see an arguement of fans observations over many years versus the observations of the coaching team over a few weeks.
    Who are right.

• WWSBRD

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:53 PM

SanD
    Am not letting the club off for the preseason mess by blaming Carver like, I dont recall us having a decent preseason under Ashley

• JackButler

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:54 PM

wWSBRD

Could this be the window where Ashley is proven to be as good as his word???

I’d love to think so but like you I waiting for the kick to the knackers, let’s hope we are both proven to be wrong (he says looking for his cup)

• Blackley and Brownlie

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:55 PM

Colo is a great name for a clown. There’s a clue there for anyone who hasn’t managed to spot the red nose. In the early days Colo was actually stopped by the club from doing interviews for Sky because he squirted the interviewer from a flower. I actually argued against the ban at the time because I thought it was hilarious.

• Tsunki

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:55 PM

Jeff watched the Swansea game 5 times? Is that some kind of Ashura thing? I’d rather prod my eye with a chopstick.

• RolandoOverhead

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:57 PM

Abdennour would be our best signing since Shearer imo

• WWSBRD

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:58 PM

JB
    I hope am wrong mate but my days of trusting Ashley are well and truly over

I look forward to the day he sells up but I worry what we will find once he is gone

• Blackley and Brownlie

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:58 PM

Melt @24
    On Janmaat, its no flippant remark. It’s an opinion that differs from yours. In fact, I almost spat my latte when I read your assessment.

• Our Toon

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:59 PM

Melt

Janmaat is good going forward but poor defensively. 2 of the 4 goals we’ve conceded so far have been as a result of his lackadaisical defending.

• Our Toon

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:01 PM

JB

He needs to do it every summer window not just once every decade

• WWSBRD

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:01 PM

Blackley/Our Toon
    Maybe Janmaat would benefit from having competition? Realistically he can play terribly for 10 games and still first name on the team sheet for the 11th so what reason has he got for pushing to improve?

• JackButler

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:01 PM

WWSBRD

Agree mate, don’t think its possible to trust a man that’s screwed us over so many times and done so with utter contempt

• JackButler

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:04 PM

Our toon

Agree mate, there are a few who are still very cynicle and with good reason

• SanD

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:05 PM

WWSBRD

I agree, however pre-season these days seems to be more focused around publicising the NUFC/sports direct brands than preparing for a new premier league campaign.