McClaren May Have Already Made A Huge Tactical Error

We expect that Coloccini has been told by head coach Steve McClaren to give more interviews in the press than he’s done over the last four years, when he replaced Kevin Nolan as captain of Newcastle,  but these players are completely different in terms of the type of leadership skills they have.

Steve McClaren Swansea+City+v+Newcastle+United+5nzTv2KX6dkl

Steve McClaren – tactical error?

Colo tends to be quiet and has a David Beckham kind of leadership – he leads by example – whereas Kevin was very vocal and animated.

Kevin reminded us a lot of fiery Scot Jimmy Scoular, who was captain back in 1955 when we last won a local Cup – the FA Cup – when we took Manchester City apart 3-1.

🙂

Steve McClaren has placed his faith in Colo by keeping him on as captain and giving him another year on his contract at the club, but that could be a tactical mistake if Colo is not up to playing near his best these days and not worth his place in the team.

This is what Coloccini has said in the Chronicle today:

“I always said that Newcastle was my first option. So I am very happy.” “I look forward to the future and putting Newcastle where they should be – at the top end of the league.”

“I think this season at Newcastle what we have going to our credit is that every game is going to be important.”

“Whether it’s cup games of Premier League, every game is going to be massive for us.” “We really want to do something important at this club.”

“The years are going by but we have to be in the club’s history books now.” “I remember when I first signed and I said I would like to play in the Champions League or win something.”

“This is my dream. We did get into the Europa League a few years ago.” “Now we want to bring a trophy to this club.”

“It’s a massive club and the fans here deserve that.”

We wonder if Newcastle will bring in another top center-back this summer, which it seems we need, because then Colo the captain wouldn’t get a game.

Colo was signed in August of 2008 for about £10.3M from Deportivo, when Kevin Keegan was still the manager, and he arrived the same summer as Jonas Gutierrez, who didn’t have his contract renewed in the summer and left us.

In two years time when his contract runs out at Newcastle, Colo will have been at the club for nine years and it will be interesting to see how many appearances he adds to the 249 times he has already played for Newcastle with six goals.

How Newcastle do this season could depend a lot on how Coloccini plays under Steve McClaren – we hope he does well.

Here’s the goals in that 1955 FA Cup final with the great Jackie Milburn scoring in the very first minute with a header of all things, and you see Jimmy Scoular receiving the cup from a young Queen after the game.

My parents were at Wembley that day, and I watched the game on TV when I was just a wee lad – the first time I had ever watched anything on TV at my Aunts – we didn’t get electricity in our home until 1959.

Oh, the memories when Newcastle were great – that was our 3rd FA Cup Final win in five years.

And finally:

How Will Newcastle Fare At Manchester United?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

What do you think?

• 2_goal_tino

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:09 AM

The CB I wish we were having a look at is Kalidou Koulibaly – 6″4, 24 years old, quick, powerful and strong. Currently plays for Napoli but wants to leave. Southampton are reportedly interested if they can’t get Van Dijk – apparently available for 8-9 million.

• nut meg

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:11 AM

Giving him a extension to his contract & keeping him as captain is wholly undeserved imho!

• Jib

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:16 AM

Ed you don’t mention that after Jimmy Meadows career ending injury Man City only had 10 men (no subs in the days when men were men ) and Trautmann (the ex POW) was the MoM

• SPRINGY

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:20 AM

colo not vocal enough on the pitch..not to bothered about what said off it….one of my reasons why he’s in the firing lines now tbh……needs to be alot stronger on the pitch with the opposition and more importantly his team

• martoon

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:26 AM

Is it just me but when I search twitter for Abdennour I get a picture of some guy’s c*ck?

• SPRINGY

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:29 AM

dont agree with pulling mbemba out to right back coz he needs to try and form a partnership quickly at cb…..but ano u cant stick a youngin in at right back at old trafford…so gotta do it i suppose

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:29 AM

Koulibaly is a good shout. My preference is kamil glik if I’m honest. I’ve mentioned him numerous times before and feel he’s perfect for what were looking for. Big strong and brave. Good leadership and organisation skills, very much in the vidic and terry mould.

• nut meg

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:30 AM

Is it one of Frank Malony’s old pics ?

• SPRINGY

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:31 AM

hahaha…… not on twitter so cant comment!lol

• martoon

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:32 AM

nut meg @8 – I never thought of that 😀 😀

• SPRINGY

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:37 AM

glik looked decent on the you tube clips i watched…heard koulibaly is good but tbh never seen them play….i remember a few yr ago a few people on here were hoping we’d sign sahko……what happened to him…went right off the boil!

• 2_goal_tino

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:37 AM

@ Ronaldo – Yeah I like Glik a lot too but I discounted him on him being 27, which is probably above the club’s ridiculously restrictive age threshold. But he is a great player.

• The overrated Frenchman

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:38 AM

McClaren certainly mis-read the mood of the vast majority of supporters with his endorsement of Coloccini. Unless he miraculously becomes a player he hasn’t been for years it’s egg on the face for the wally with the brolly. The dismal effort against Swansea by all and sundry, players and coaches together, has put McClaren in the firing line quite properly, and another meek capitulation against Man U would raise serious questions. 12 games? Give me a break. If it waddles and quacks it’s a duck.

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:41 AM

Springy
    Youtube really doesn’t do him justice, there aren’t any good videos of him. He’s more of an under the radar type of player, doesn’t get the recognition that I think he deserves. Sakho for Liverpool is no good but the sakho that plays for France is actually really good. It would be a gamble

• ronaldo aarons

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:43 AM

2 goal
    Yeah I thought that too at first but I don’t think he would be an expensive signing plus, I think we bought coloccini when he was 26-27 and also debuchy. As LNG as hey see it as value for money then they would go for it I think.

• sweendog

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:44 AM

2_goal_tino .. good shout too. Think its obvious we need an experienced CB who can header and is calm under pressure.

• SPRINGY

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:44 AM

im hoping McClaren after 6-8 games has really tightened up the defence and gest the whole team pressing all over the pitch thats what was missing in 1st two games….like i said hope…not expecting ….the players need to smartin up tbh

• Sazzer

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:45 AM

2_goal_tino
    There’s going to be better than what we got available once towards the end of the window when big clubs have picked the players they want.

Do the club/McClaren want one? I’m not sure.
    Do we have the money? Well, we at least we had the money.

So based on the answer to the second question if safe to assume that if the answer to the first question is yes then we do have money available and probably will buy another CB.

• Rotonda heights

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:45 AM

martoon

It’s just you!!!!

SM appears to be doing a lot right, but this Colo thing is a joke, as was the decision not to sub Janmatt. Colo at his age now will only work well as a sweeper, no other option.

If Colo leads by example then it’s not a great example at the moment.

• Rotonda heights

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:46 AM

Springny

I can’t believe how much space swansea had to run into.

• SPRINGY

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:48 AM

ano you tube makes the crap look decent and the good just decent…..i think i myt of had a look at glik last time he was mentioned on here….maybe by u ronaldo!lol

• SPRINGY

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:49 AM

it was like shelvey had the cigars oot tbh…..pathetic!

• SPRINGY

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:50 AM

but haidara did it the week b4 against southampton…thats why i say players need to smartin up!

• lesh

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:54 AM

Another year on his contract plus McClaren’s praise for Colo’s professionalism could just be a way of hiking his value up in anticipation of selling him.

• The overrated Frenchman

Aug 21, 2015 at 11:05 AM

What club in their right mind would stump up decent coin for Colo? He’s well past his use by date.

• 2_goal_tino

Aug 21, 2015 at 11:12 AM

So Abeid’s officially gone. Can’t help but think we didn’t get the best out of him!!

• clinath@ed

Aug 21, 2015 at 11:21 AM

I liked Abied, we never really gave him a chance here. Or so it appeared!

• 2_goal_tino

Aug 21, 2015 at 11:26 AM

If anyone is at all curious…the club are using periscope to live stream this morning’s training session. It is Thauvin’s first session with the squad. I’ve had a quick 5 minute look and the over-riding things I’ve noticed are … a. Mitrovic is just as mental in training, happily clattering people b. Mbemba is a character, looks like he will be great for squad morale.

Here is the link: https://www.periscope.tv/w/aKbuuTgwNDE4MXw2NjI4NTI2N9ZIJ_Wn9TrjxyFQUHJWGsSI7_mnM2LPhsyZGtrk2Idl

• Malta Mag

Aug 21, 2015 at 11:26 AM

Sorry Ed but how is giving Colo more air time a “huge tactical error ?” Lost me on t his one? I’m one that thinks Colo is well past his best but still t honk he could play as a right back or holding midfielder if we’re short of numbers, but if he’s been made captain and assuming he’s playing then give the lad the microphone and let’s hear some words of wisdom

• 2_goal_tino

Aug 21, 2015 at 11:28 AM

Also Cisse is a Bantersaurus Rex – ripping it out of everyone

• hibbit

Aug 21, 2015 at 11:28 AM

overrated by a lot on here was never going to make it in the prem has now found his level…..good luck with his new club

• hibbit

Aug 21, 2015 at 11:31 AM

colo never has been and never will be the leader we need

• 2_goal_tino

Aug 21, 2015 at 11:32 AM

c. Haidara appears to be the designated translator. McClaren is literally following him around going “Sadio, whats the french for shoot?”…”Sadio, whats the french for intensity?”…

• lochinvar

Aug 21, 2015 at 11:35 AM

Abeid going looks like a mistake.
    Colo staying looks like a mistake.
    If McLaren has made Colo “Club” captain then that suggests an almost Ambassadorial role off the pitch as much as on the pitch. But that then is a problem on match days as the Match captain needs to be a leader, VOCAL and have the troops with him – players and fans. I just can’t recall ever hearing ( and I’m 10 rows from the touchline ) Colo directing the team on the pitch so by default its the Coach on the sideline who shouts the odds – that was Pardew and then Carver and we all know what happened then.
    The only hope is that Mclaren does have a cunning plan ( but so did Baldrik ) and maybe when the squad is rebuilt with another CB and RB cover bought in then maybe we will see some player rotation for Cup games and a stringer bench to minimise disruption through injuries and suspensions.
    If that doesn’t happen and McLaren thinks that Colo can cope with the number of games , intensity of games and speed of many opponents attacks them “I am concerned of Newcastle”
    Yours Sincerely
    A fan.

• lochinvar

Aug 21, 2015 at 11:36 AM

* Stronger bench

• 2_goal_tino

Aug 21, 2015 at 11:40 AM

This is hilarious watching. They were just doing a possession drill and when the ball is intercepted the passer has to go into the middle. Dummett intercepts a Mitrovic pass so he should be in the middle. Dummett says…”I can’t give it to him, he’ll kill me.” Mitrovic has a strop and refuses to go into the middle.

• WALKER LAD

Aug 21, 2015 at 11:58 AM

hi everybody new time poster

first of all i think that keeping colo was a rediculous move for the club, not only is he taking up 60k a week wages he is also a liabilty.

anyways her is my start up for tomorrow

darlow
    colback mbemba taylor hidaria

sissoko dejong
    wajnaldum
    obertan arrons
    mitrovic

darlow- because lately ive been losing the abilty to trust krul he cant posistion himself nor does he come for crosses.

colback- not the best choice but the only choice we have he played well defensivly against southampton and i think if we play anita he’ll give away atleast 1 penalty during the match as he has done against man city and west ham when we played them.

mbemba- needs no explimation

taylor- just dont like colo and taylor has more passion in his game and could battle people in the air

hidaria- average

sissoko- rcm could be a good posistion and hes the only one big enough/ strong enough to cope with fellani he also has a chance to get us up the pitch more quickly than anyone else.

dejong- lcm we need his creativity some one who can pick out a pass

wajnaldum-cam proved himself against southampton not everyone can have a good week

obertan- player of the last two games and thats saying something

arrons/perez- these two little fellas have trickery to spare we need some flair against a rb whos only had 2 games in the bpl

mitovic- need to terrorise smalling and blind as long as he keeps a level head he can do a job for us

HWTL

• Munster Mag

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:01 PM

Ed, I pointed this out a few weeks ago when Colo was put centre stage by Steve. Jail and co cant blame Ashley for this. The money is there to buy a centre half we have opted for another french winger. ( Carr can fluck right off if this doesnt work and stick him in his growing “failures” file ) . The only way , as I have said before many times, to make a success of Colo and Mbemba is to get Colo working as a sweeper, and he would be class at this. How he made a man like Colo captain is beyond me. Its not down to finance – repeat, this is not Ashleys fault money wise. We have spent loads this summer – well done Ashley.

• Munster Mag

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:04 PM

Thanks 2 goal Tino. Who looks technically good ? What is Mitro like ??

• Fatman_joe

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:06 PM

A few on here wanting rb cover and rightly so. Jamnaat can’t play every game. But given it a little thought lascelles started his career as rb andhavingrb wonder whether Mc thinks he already has his cover? And I agree with hibbit from the last thread.. Williamson is unnecessarily attacked on here. Always gives his all which can’t be said of colo, sissoko etc. Think he’s a fantastic professional and will suit a championship club perfectly. I’d rather keep him as fourth choice over Taylor to be honest. At least he’s always available for selection.