Thauvin – I’m Surprised How Well Organized Newcastle Are

Newcastle’s new £13M signing Florian Thauvin has had his first training session at Benton, and he seems completely delighted at joining Newcastle.

The 22 year-old Frenchman says he’s surprised how well organized the club are – which will probably shock a lot of fans following the complete mess we seemed to be in with John Carver in charge last season.

florian thauvin newcastle

Florian Thauvin – already impressed with Newcastle

But maybe Steve and his new coaching staff have things sorted out quickly – in any case young Florian is very impressed with what he has seen.

This is what Thauvin has said today :

“I’m very happy to be here at Newcastle, and I’m surprised in a very good way to see such a well-organised club here.” “I had my first training session with the team today and it went really, really well.”

“I’m fit and available, and if the manager chooses to select me, I can’t wait to make my debut at Old Trafford.” “It’s a magnificent stadium, a magnificent ground and they are a massive team too in the Premier League, so it’s always an honor and a pleasure to be able to play in such places.”

“When I arrived, the manager and I had a long chat.” “He asked me to be an important player for the team.” “He wants me to get goals, and he wants me to supply goals too.” “But he also wants me to fulfil my defensive duties as well.”

“It’s not a problem for me to have such a high price tag.” “I’m a footballer, and that’s my passion and my job.” “It’s always been my dream to be a footballer in the Premier League, and I’m happy to be here and do that.”

“Learning English is important for me, and that’s a priority,” “I’m going to get some English classes arranged straight away.” “I’m lucky to have so many French speakers here, but I will definitely get out there and learn English because that will be very beneficial.”

We have been very impressed with the youngster since he joined the club a few days ago – and he seems a positive but down to earth lad – now Newcastle’s job is to get the very best out of him as soon as possible – but the passion and determination seem to be there, which is an excellent sign.

Thauvin really needs to learn English quickly, because in his first nufcTV interview he didn’t speak one word of English – so that has to be one priority.

It looks like we may see Thauvin make his debut in the second half tomorrow at Old Trafford – what a place to make your Newcastle debut.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Manchester United?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Ibizatoon

Aug 21, 2015 at 2:28 PM

“I’m surprised in a very good way to see such a well-organised club here.”

Is that not a really odd comment to make?

• JAMSHA

Aug 21, 2015 at 2:29 PM

yawn

• Ron Knee

Aug 21, 2015 at 2:31 PM

Ibiza
    Says it all!

• Ibizatoon

Aug 21, 2015 at 2:34 PM

Ron Knee….It says something, but I’m wondering what.

Is it as simple as he had heard rumours of how untogether the club is? If so, why did he join?

Or, is this part of something he’s told to say. As in, well, it must be alright if Thauvin says it is!

Just seems a very odd thing for a new player to say for me.

• Ron Knee

Aug 21, 2015 at 2:35 PM

Ibiza
    I wonder what Cabella told him.

• DaraghL

Aug 21, 2015 at 2:36 PM

Ibiza –

Hopefully he means it wasn’t very organised in France. Judging by McClarens changes regarding phones etc I wouldn’t be surprised if he has everything to a schedule.

• sweendog

Aug 21, 2015 at 2:40 PM

probably its lost in translation as he was either speaking a foreign language or the translator chose this.
    Mind you the club was a disaster after Charver

• Ron Knee

Aug 21, 2015 at 2:40 PM

Here’s McClaren’s press conference. Sissoko is not sure for tomorrow.

• Ibizatoon

Aug 21, 2015 at 2:41 PM

Ron…Worth pondering.

Daragh…Not sure I follow what you mean? Has McClaren had a phone system installed? 🙂

• Belfast

Aug 21, 2015 at 2:48 PM

Will die for toon army.

Here’s a question for you.

If Charlie Austin was a Newcastle player and had scored 18 goals last season would you accept 10 million if Manchester United bid 10 million?

Now be honest 🙂

• calvinzolamakongo

Aug 21, 2015 at 2:48 PM

Iv come to a decision and i just dont rate cisse atall other than a finish what has he got he cant run with the ball he cant win headers he cant hold up play he cant take any one on he cant cross if he gets pushed wide he has no technique in dribling and passing but he garuntees us 10 goals a season atleast if we had a striker that could do half those things ie whatbwe had in demba and remy we would almost never struggle

• Belfast

Aug 21, 2015 at 2:49 PM

Me personally I would tell them to f*** off.

• LGFUAD21

Aug 21, 2015 at 2:51 PM

Calvin

A finish is all you need if you create the chances.

• pawl250

Aug 21, 2015 at 2:51 PM

Will Die

Sorry but Austin being out for approx 11 games being his only injury in 2011 and Abennour only playing 39 games in the last 3 seasons and counting (still injured now). The comparison is like chalk and cheese.

Abennour is clearly injury prone.

Austin clearly is not.

• JackButler

Aug 21, 2015 at 2:54 PM

Dear Mr. Thauvin, nice to hear from you and I’m glad things are going well, but please understand that we are even more surprised to hear a player say how well organised we are, as for the better part of eight years, we have been a total bloody shambles. Anyway good luck for the weekend and the coming season HWTL

• calvinzolamakongo

Aug 21, 2015 at 2:57 PM

Yeh but imagine how many more goals we would get with a better striker look at how much strikers like aguero costa most of the time suarez etc contribute to their team other than there goals

• pawl250

Aug 21, 2015 at 2:59 PM

Belfast

Ba scored 16 goals, was older (approx 27-28 at time), had a well reported dodgey knee, is African (mentioned for the fact he is away during ACN in January every other season) and he was 7m to Chelsea.

Now I know the 7m was a release clause but lets be honest, we would not accept 10m for him if he did not have that clause.

Austin is 26 (just turned), English, scored 18 goals in the PL for a relegation club, he is hardly injured despite reports.

Also if QPR rolled the dice they could keep him in hope his goals will get them back in the PL which would be worth more than 15m transfer fee, even if he were to leave for a free transfer.

I personally think 15m is a snip for the player Austin is and has been in his one season in the PL. Sullivan is a muppet for his comments, and Will Die is just as much of one for believing his comments about Austin being injury prone.

FACT – Austin has only missed 13 games

• Take a Chancel on me

Aug 21, 2015 at 3:00 PM

Man Ure are now favourites with the bookies to sign Charlie Austin!!!

• JackButler

Aug 21, 2015 at 3:01 PM

calvinzolamakongo

Without Cisse’s goals we would have been back in the championship long ago. He does what he’s paid to do and that’s score goals, he’s not and never has been a link up player, he’s never been a player who golds the ball up to bring others into play, he’s a finisher and he’s the only one we have at the club

• 2_goal_tino

Aug 21, 2015 at 3:02 PM

@pawl- agree entirely with you about Abdennour. Don’t understand the hype at all, particularly at that price!!! Would rather Van Dijk, Kalidou Koulibaly, Glik, Knoche the list goes on and on

• pawl250

Aug 21, 2015 at 3:07 PM

Jack

That is impossible to say. If Cisse did not play someone else may have scored the goals. The likelyhood is last season we would have struggled without his goals, but had he not been on the pitch someone else could have scored just as much, or even more.

Its not like you take him out of the team and we play with 10 men with no one replacing him.

He had a very poor x2 seasons between last season and his first half season.

PL

12/13 Apps 36 Goals 8
    13/14 Apps 24 Goals 2

He hardly set the world alight then. What is to say he will not replicate that form opposed to last season?

The words I would use to sum Cisse up is inconsistent and frustrating.

• WWSBRD

Aug 21, 2015 at 3:08 PM

Chancel
    Man Utd? But hes not even good enough for us by all accounts

• DaraghL

Aug 21, 2015 at 3:08 PM

Ibiza –

No phones or tablets are allowed in the training ground nor is swearing. If they are anything to go by it’s likely he has everything well run.

I think he meant it as “it’s very well run I’m surprised in comparison to my previous experiences”

• pawl250

Aug 21, 2015 at 3:09 PM

Jack

I would also argue a better striker would have had more goals. Alot of his goals last year were tap ins. Nowt wrong with that but had he been a better striker he would have not missed the countless other chances he had.

I went to the games, I did not watch MOTD and see the highlights, at times I just think Cisse is lucky and hits and hopes.

Cannot argue about it too much as he does have a strong record, but 1 on 1 I never would say “yep, this is a goal” he would more likely sky it!

• will die for the toon army

Aug 21, 2015 at 3:10 PM

Belfast

As Lee said we are hard negociators but if I was in Championship amd in the financial mess QPR are in. I wld take it?

• pawl250

Aug 21, 2015 at 3:12 PM

Austin would be our best striker if he signed tomorrow.

Our current strikers

Cisse – see above, easily our best striker atm though.

Perez – had a decent 1st season, but I do not think he can run the front line on his own. Probably would offer more support in one of the x3 CAM roles.

Mitrovic – Very unproven, and cannot say I am even slightly impressed or excited from what I have seen thus far.

Riviere – Bloke could play all weekend and still not score.

• calvinzolamakongo

Aug 21, 2015 at 3:13 PM

Yeh i understand his goals meant a lot to us i just think we could prob find a striker that cpuld do a better job for like 5 mil honestly think whickam would of been better than him and scored more …granted cisse is in the right place at the time for his goals but alot of the time he isnt in the right place id love to see the amount of crosses we put into the box where he failed to get close to the ball

• pawl250

Aug 21, 2015 at 3:14 PM

Will Die

What financial mess?

They escaped the fine that was waiting for them, think it was 8m.

They have some mercenaries on the books but no more than we had. We lost 30m in the season in the PL. Parachute payments have went up since then, QPR have sold players which we struggled to do.

They also have a billionaire owner.

Financial mess? I do not think so.

• pawl250

Aug 21, 2015 at 3:16 PM

Belfast

If it were me I would role the dice, I would keep him his last year. Hope he gets us in the playoff position or higher.

He may sign a contract, great. If not then we lose him for nothing. But if he managed to get the team promoted before leaving he would have most likely quadrupled (and more) the 15m we would have got when TV money comes into account for next season.

Worst case. We lose him for nowt and stay in Championship. Hardly life ending.

• will die for the toon army

Aug 21, 2015 at 3:16 PM

I feel sorry for Austin and I think he didn’t want to go to Leicester. But with their good start he might go there.

I think Mcca will take him on the final day.

The question IS CHARLIE AUSTIN REALLY A TRANSFER TARGET?

• Belfast

Aug 21, 2015 at 3:17 PM

They don’t have to sell him mate. They want him to sign a new deal.

Last seasons tv money and parachute payments will see them through this season.

If he leaves them they probably won’t get promoted to be honest.

• JackButler

Aug 21, 2015 at 3:17 PM

pawl250

He’s the best of what we have and he’s the best by some distance. The amount of support he’s had over the past few season is negligible as he was left isolated and feeding off scraps because of the way we played under Pardew.

Tell me, who do we have that can and will or could have scored the goals that have kept us afloat the past few seasons. Perez? Rivière? Did well last season to an extent but neither are natural finishers are they!

Look at his record before NUFC and he’s proven in more than just this league but it’s wrong to expect him to play a style or type of game that he’s never played before.

Yes there are better strikers out there but he’s the best that we have and he never once allows his head to drop

• pawl250

Aug 21, 2015 at 3:18 PM

Calvin

Whickham? LOL

The fact Palace paid 9m plus add ons shows what a donkey Pardew is.

Whickham has been a waste of space for Sunderland who must have been laughing to the bank. But you make a valid point for Will Die….

12m Whickham
    15m Austin

Which is the more criminal? Austin is a snip.

• belgrade fan

Aug 21, 2015 at 3:19 PM

Can somebody tell me what is happening with Gouffran?? I saw pics of him on airport with his family, and story that he is a part of a deal for Rolan.

• calvinzolamakongo

Aug 21, 2015 at 3:22 PM

Pawl not saying he is good just saying he would ay better than cisse up top on his own….cisse clearly needs a strike partner or two wide forwards not a no10 ans two wingbacks essentially cpz compared to when we played ba and hba either side of cisse obertan and sissoko do a lot more tracking back which they dont really need to for the formation we play to work

• pawl250

Aug 21, 2015 at 3:24 PM

Jack

Looks at Luuk De Jongs record in the Dutch league, or Alfonso Alonso, or Kezman

Just because a player does well overseas does not guarantee success here.

Cisse had a great first 6 month then simply was awful for 24 month. You can say what you wnat about support but Remy manged alright in same period, and so did Ba.

Only last season has he come close to anywhere near replicating that golden spell on his arrival. Even then he was banned, when to AFCN, and was injured throughout the season managing only 22 games in all competitions.

Thats just over playing all the teams in the PL once at home, nevermind the away games or cup games etc.

I would actually sell him while people think the way you do after last season, get 7-8m and buy Austin for half the price when you knock that money off.

Younger, English, less injury prone, scored more goals in 1 season than Cisse has after 3.5 attempts.

• Tsunki

Aug 21, 2015 at 3:29 PM

Ian stop being a snidey worm, trying to engage you results in yet another little schoolgirl snipe. Why are you offering unsolicited critique over the quality of my posts? Don’t even get me started about the ‘ mostly unintelligible ‘ bit because you tie yourself in knots trying not to appear bitter but not being able to resist getting a dig in or pathetically forging alliances with ‘like-minded’ posters . Leave it alone man and talk about the subject at hand or have a sense of humour. We don’t want the past being dug up again and pasted up as a reminder, do we? I’ll let it go, if you will, but I’ll go back to it if we must.

• Our Toon

Aug 21, 2015 at 3:33 PM

What people seem to forget with Austin is that most of his goals came thanks to Zamora and the graft Zamora put in for him. I find it amusing those who compare Austin and Cisse and say Austin is better in the ball etc. Austin struggles by himself, his hold play isn’t muh better than Cisse’s and like Cisse he’s a predator in the box.

The question was if Austin scored 18 goals would you sell hin for 10m? No I wouldn’t, but if he was in his final year of contract, and we were playing in the championship and we are massively behind on FFP and need the money otherwise we get a hefty fine which is more than 20m then yes I’d sell him in a heartbeat for 10m.

Look at all the factors in play. Austin a goal every 180 mins take away his 4 pens and that goes to over 200 mins, Cisse goal every 108 mins take away his pen and it’s 110 mins. Add to that Austin played in an attacking team and Cisse played for pardew and Carver!! Cisse all day long

• JackButler

Aug 21, 2015 at 3:33 PM

pawl250

He scored 11 goals in 13 games when he came here and was the talk of everyone, then under the tactical genius of Pardew he was switched out wide to pacify Ba who walked away at the first chance, the difference between those other strikers and Cisse is that he HAS scored the goals here in the EPL.

Try and remember that he’s a player being isolated, not the way to get the best out of his natural game as he a completely different striker to both Ba and Remy and that he’s been playing for a very, very poor side.

It’s easy to slate the lad and forget where we are almost certainly likely to be if it were not for him.

Before selling him I’d look at the other bigger issues we have with the squad and strike force and ship Rivière out either on loan or sell him