The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

McClaren – Newcastle Have Delivered 100% On Owner’s Words

9:09 am, Saturday, August 22nd, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 17 Comments

In Steve McClaren’s press conference he talked about a lot of things yesterday and at one point he talked about the five new players Newcastle have brough in and he took the chance of saying that when Mike Ashley said he would invest big time in the club this summer, there was a lot of skepticism among supporters.

steve mcclaren press confernce

Steve McClaren – Newcastle have delivered on their promises

But four top senior players later and over £50M spent in what is the most ever spent in any transfer window by Newcastle, and certainly the most by owner Mike Ashley.

Steve McClaren was clear that he though the club have delivered 100% on those words from Mike Ashley.

This is what Steve actually said yesterday:

“I think people doubted after Mike Ashley’s words, doubted at the beginning of pre-season, especially when I first came in.”

“There were a lot of doubts and comments that a lot of it was all talk, but I think the club have delivered. They’ve absolutely delivered 100%,  and we are delighted with the quality that we’ve got.”

“We are going forward and that’s what we want to do, and it might be a while before we actually see that, but we’ve certainly got the players now,  and the squad is improving.”

“New players were important because after last season we needed that little bit of injection of belief and newness, and the new players have brought us that.”

“So without a doubt I’m absolutely delighted and I’m sure the supporters and everybody following Newcastle know that the club have delivered on their words.”

There are obviously some fans who simply dislike Mike Ashley, and they will never admit he can do anything good for Newcastle.

But it may also – hopefully – be that the owner has seen the error of his ways, and will now invest the (big) profits into Newcastle.

We hope that a large proportion of those profits will be given to the Board who can then bring in new players and continually improve the squad.

It’s also good that Mike Ashley is now taking a back seat at the club, and letting the new Board handle all the football matters.

We hope that continues and if it does, there’s no reason why we cannot have a very good team in a year or two.

Tags: Coaching · Financial Fair Play · Financials · Newcastle News · Premier League

17 responses so far ↓

• 1 toon kk // Aug 22, 2015 at 9:17 AM

I still think we should have re signed Joey Barton, he would have made a fantastic captain and kept the players in touch.
    Mitrovic would be scoring with headers regularly away. Bring Joey back. !!!!!!

• 2 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Aug 22, 2015 at 9:18 AM

“You always get what you pay for. Manchester City get a central defender this week for £32m. Chelsea have one bad game and they buy Pedro for £22m. And we have Duncan Watmore. That’s the difference. But I have to be fair to the owner, he never mentioned a figure to me.”

We have Duncan Watmore ! Advocaat is buckling he will be gone before we play them in the derby no doubt although I think we will smash them this season normal service will be resumed

• 3 nut meg // Aug 22, 2015 at 9:22 AM

toon kk
    Sorry to disappoint you but you have more chance of capturing a Yeti than Joey coming back to NUFC.

• 4 firebug666 // Aug 22, 2015 at 9:22 AM

Eight years of suffering is a long time, and it that time certain phrases stick in the mind.

“They (the fans) don’t know how nasty we can be”

“It is beneficial to Sports Direct” (on Newcastle’s relationship with his company).

Add to that the shirt sponsorship deal, the doubled debt the club owes him, the merchandising fiasco, the lack of income from advertising and the selling of the clubs land etc. and things still look gloomy.

The investment of players has nothing to do with making the fans happy, that is just a side effect, it to sell ST and to make sure the club remains in the money league. That is the only way the parasite and his companies can continue to feed of Newcastle United.

• 5 Munster Mag // Aug 22, 2015 at 9:23 AM

Lee we dont want a new manager in before the derby. Motivational effect and all that. What date is mackems game again.

• 6 toon kk // Aug 22, 2015 at 9:26 AM

Nut meg
    only joking mate, I think Joeys best days are behind him, at least he spoke his mind though.

• 7 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Aug 22, 2015 at 9:40 AM

Its in October mate I just think Sunderlands luck has finally run out this season they are gone for sure they have bought no quality players in and Defoe their only quality player wants to leave

They should have went down last season

• 8 Nufc-83 // Aug 22, 2015 at 9:41 AM

Another way of looking at it how many goals has paying cisse up top cost us indirectly?? If we had a striker who could build the play and keep possession relieving the pressure on our horrible defence then we may not concede as much and actually have more attacks?

• 9 Jib // Aug 22, 2015 at 9:42 AM

Firebug 666
    Spend £50 million to sell £15 million pounds worth of season tickets . You’re some businessman you mind – ha ha ha.

Mr Tuff the blog archivist can check to see if I’m right or not , but Sparky always seems to post a really negative item about the Toon immediately after a derogatory post about Sunlan , this time it was Lee’s post quoting the Dutch Dick , makes you wonder doesn’t it ?

• 10 the broons // Aug 22, 2015 at 9:45 AM

toon kk

Are you one of those fans that thinks if we bring back nolan barton everything will be merry because we will suddenly start showing more fight in derbies?

No, get the quality in then get the management to make them realise how important the derby is and we will slowly start showing improvements.

• 11 Jib // Aug 22, 2015 at 9:48 AM

Stevie Watson and Papiss Cisse on Sky sports fantasy footy this morning

• 12 ronaldo aarons // Aug 22, 2015 at 9:48 AM

I like this debate about cisse. I personally see him as a great player to bring off the bench if we are in need of goals, early last season for example. He is in decline and his knee is still troubling him but like a few others mention he doesn’t have a good all round game. Great instinctive striker through. Really don’t think he should be starting games now as a stiker with more strings to his bow can be more beneficial to us as a team. Like others have also mentioned, the biggest part is finishing which is true but I feel we could have more goals in us if we have a striker that can keep hold of the ball up top, rather than losing the ball and were back to defending again. I definitely would not sell him.

• 13 will die for the toon army // Aug 22, 2015 at 9:52 AM

Mike has promised and delivered. But we still need one CB. We have a platform to build still not yet complete.

• 14 hibbit // Aug 22, 2015 at 9:53 AM

we could do with a nolan type player but that’s it … mr broon has it right the time is right to build on what we have not go back look to the future not the past

• 15 funguswatty // Aug 22, 2015 at 9:55 AM

Sure the last director lamearse said he would investment big time when club was making a profit might be wrong

• 16 ronaldo aarons // Aug 22, 2015 at 9:57 AM

If it was up to me I would sell de jong. As much as I like him and was so happy when he signed I personally don’t see him fully recovering from his injury issues these past couple of years. I hate to write people off but I just don’t see him coming back and if he does he definitely won’t be the same player IMO. I saw quite a bit of him at Ajax and was a big fan, he could play deep in a 3 man midfield, he could play number 10 and also he could actually play one the side of a striker in a 433 very well considering his lack of pace. Not forgetting that he played up top a few times as well, very good and clever footballer who looks like injuries have ruined his career like so many in the past. If it was up to me I’d try to sell him for what we could get and go replace him with Franco Vazquez.

• 17 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Aug 22, 2015 at 10:18 AM

We still gonna need another CB…and I will be saying I told you so 😉