The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle New Signing Reaching For The Stars

8:39 am, Saturday, August 22nd, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 17 Comments

Newcastle’s new signing Florian Thauvin did not have a good season last season at Marseille, which is one reason we were a little surprised that his French club held out for so long after Newcastle had offered good money for him earlier this summer.

In his press conference yesterday, Steve McClaren said that we nearly signed Thauvin about six weeks ago, and that offering Remy Cabella in part exchange had already been decided before he joined the club in June.

florian thauvin in training

Florian Thauvin in training on Friday

McClaren said that it was the Frenchman’s crossing ability that was one of the reasons he wanted Thauvin brought in, and particularly for new boy Aleksandar Mitrovic, who is good in the air, and that was key to Newcastle signing Florian.

And former Newcastle winger Chris Waddle, who played three seasons at Marseille,  had said earlier this week he thinks the young winger can become a top player on Tyneside.

Florian gave a press conference yesterday and he was a little nervous and spoke through an interpreter.

This is some of what he said, starting with his form of last season:

“Last year was hard for me,” “But I’m here now and I think I can have a fantastic season.”

“Newcastle have bought very good players this summer, young players like me, and hopefully it can be a springboard for this club, and for me, to go on to big things.”

“I’m a fast player on the wing,” he says. “I will keep the ball and give great service to the forwards. I can bring something different to the team.”

“Physically, I’m ready to play at Manchester United. I can’t wait to see Old Trafford. It’s a great ground, a massive team and I can’t wait to get out there if the coach says he wants me to.”

“I’m not too sure where I’m going to play yet. It’s up to the coach. But wherever it is, I’ll make sure I’m up to the task.”

“First of all, I’d like to thank Chris Waddle for that nice compliment.” “It’s very kind. I hope to be one of the best players in the world. I need to make sure I work hard to achieve that goal.”

“I like playing both. On the left I can put great crosses in and give good service to the forward. On the right I come inside and shoot or slip a pass in behind the defense.”

“It will be very hard but playing for France at Euro 2016 is definitely a goal. If I can have a good season, I don’t see why not.”

“I’m surprised in a good way to see such a well organised club here.”  “I had my first training session today and it was really, really good.”

“The manager and I have had a long chat. He’s asked me to be an important player. He wants me to get goals and he wants me to supply them too.”

There’s nothing wrong with Thauvin reaching for the stars and wanting to be one of the best players  in the world – it you don’t aim high you’ll never reach your potential.

Steve McClaren also said the training session was very good yesterday, and he sad there was a lot of ability and talent in the current squad he has.

We expect Thauvin to be on the bench today in what will be a (very) difficult game for us at Old Trafford, with the Red Devils coming into some form against Club Brugge on Tuesday night in their 3-1 home win.

We have to show a lot more resilience at the back than we showed last week at Swansea, which looked too much like last season for comfort.

The Newcastle defense is still a concern at the moment.

What do you think?

Tags: Coaching · Florian Thauvin · Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League

17 responses so far ↓

• 1 Laurent Robert 32 // Aug 22, 2015 at 8:45 AM

Repost: Everyone needs an out and out goal scorer in my opinion. How can a team not want one?

Cisse does miss chances, but so do a lot of the top players. The thing about that is, other players wouldn’t even be in a position to get those chances in the first place. Cisse finds himself in good positions inside the box. Give him a number of chances, and he’ll put them in. Simple as that.

If you see Cisse live in the ground, you see that he’s constantly looking for ways to breach the opposition’s back line, but a lot of the time players don’t see him to play, so don’t give him the ball. Marveaux, when played as a number 10, did very well at this and would find Cisse when he started to make a run.

• 2 Rotonda heights // Aug 22, 2015 at 8:48 AM

i was sad to see abeid go, i rate him far more highly yhan colback who for me creates absolutely nothing.

• 3 Laurent Robert 32 // Aug 22, 2015 at 8:50 AM

Munster (last thread), I agree, I’m sure his game may improve as well under SM. I think most of them will, to what extent, who knows…

Cisse will always score goals though, that’s just what he does.

The thing is, how many clear cut chances can you create him in the box? That should be the aim. He’ll miss, every player does, but you have to keep creating them regardless. Quite mechanical in the respect. Keep doing the right things, and keep creating chances INSIDE the box.

• 4 Laurent Robert 32 // Aug 22, 2015 at 8:51 AM

Rotonda, I’d have preferred him to stay.

• 5 nut meg // Aug 22, 2015 at 8:53 AM

Munster
    I don’t think Mitrovic will be as bad as we fear if he’s on from the start. Sitting on the bench waiting he’s like a cat on a hot tin roof & he’s bursting at the seams to try & make a difference when he does get on,I’m sure he’ll be fine.One thing is for sure,if he gets the service he’ll make that defence of MU earn their money…..the hard way!!

• 6 calvinzolamakongo // Aug 22, 2015 at 8:56 AM

Colback is in the team because he is english and geordie and the only player in the lineup that will throw his whole body in the way to save a certain goal no matter if we are winning losing or drawing and you need that in every team

• 7 toon kk // Aug 22, 2015 at 8:59 AM

Joey Barton would have supplied the crosses for a lot less money! !!!! He kept Carrol well supplied.

• 8 firebug666 // Aug 22, 2015 at 9:00 AM

Cisse plays well in a 4-3-3, when chances come he takes them. He played his best football in that formation and scored his best goal tally.

He was ruined and lost confidence when the inept one played his on the right of a 4-2-3-1 and then changed him to a lone striker in the same formation.

Our players just do not fit that formation as a 4-2-3-1 isolates the striker and leaves him null and void throughout the game.

I don’t know why McClaren has not moved them back to 4-3-3 a formation that is well suited to the players we have, and has brought us our best results, best league finish, highest points tally, and least goals conceded.

Of cause that was the season we finished fifth.

• 9 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Aug 22, 2015 at 9:02 AM

Dont understand the hatred for Cisse without his winning goals we would have been relegated last season I would be looking to give him a year or 2 deal as he is getting older but a useful option to bring off the bench if need be and I think he would be happy with not playing every week with his knee anyway

I bet if he played at Swansea he would be a 20 goal a season striker they play it simple , get it to the wingers and then get it in the box and I think eventually we will play like that under Mclaren

Mitrovic is another who requires service from the wings to do well so if it does not improve he will have struggles in front of goal as well

• 10 tequilamag // Aug 22, 2015 at 9:03 AM

4 goals and 7 assists last season. Not bad for a player who “creates absolutely nothing”

• 11 the broons // Aug 22, 2015 at 9:08 AM

toon kk

Are you and everyone else being serious about Barton?
    He is finished and has been for a long time, yeah we let him go because of his outspoken nature but I generally wasn’t too bothered.

He used to be a good little player but he wouldn’t add anything to our team. Having said that on subject of this article I have seen some highlights of thauvin already and it seems to me that he over hits a lot of his crosses.

• 12 The overrated Frenchman // Aug 22, 2015 at 9:13 AM

I don’t think Abeid was quite Premiership standard. I think it was best for all concerned to let him go. I’ve said enough about Colback although I will just endorse Rotonda’s opinion of him, as opposed to that of calvinzolamakonga. If his sole virtue is throwing his whole body in the way to save a certain goal, he should have been a keeper. And maybe there’s a lesson there for Tim Krul….

• 13 Munster Mag // Aug 22, 2015 at 9:13 AM

Without colback we wudnt have our one point this season

• 14 will die for the toon army // Aug 22, 2015 at 9:15 AM

Jst watch Advocatt’s press conference.

I think he asks himself why he didn’t retire. He is angry with everyone the press, the owner and his players.

• 15 The overrated Frenchman // Aug 22, 2015 at 9:35 AM

I just don’t think Colback offers enough in midfield, such a crucial role. If he played like a proper DM that’s different – but he doesn’t. I can imagine the ghost of my old dad booing him like he did Tommy Gibb and Geoff Nulty…

• 16 Sav // Aug 22, 2015 at 10:14 AM

We have persisted so long and paid so much for Thauvin despite his having a bad year and been slagged off by french media that it looks as if Carr has gone out on a limb on this one and must be the only one who is entirely convinced. If its at the cost of a decent defender, his reputation is on the line over this.

• 17 sing in the corner // Aug 22, 2015 at 10:50 AM

I don’t know what the agenda is against Colback… but the same points keep getting made over and over by the same people. It gets toonbrotherish…
    I suppose my stance remains he is solid, recycles possession and people say he isn’t able to tackle – what can I say – He can and does.
    I think he looks a different player when he plays alongside a more forward thinking creator type.

previous post: Newcastle Player Gets Shock Recall To Holland Squad