The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

We Have To Turn Things Around At Old Trafford

9:50 am, Saturday, August 22nd, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 116 Comments

It was an awful display last Saturday at Swansea, but the traveling Newcastle fans who had to put up with that kept with the team throughout the game, especially in that second half when we had 10 men, and it became very difficult after Daryl Janmaat had been sent off just before half time.

janmaat sent off swansea

Daryl Janmaat will not play today because of this last week

Steve McClaren was asked if the fans kept with the team because they were knowledgeable about the game.

This is how McClaren answered that in the Chronicle today:

“I think that is so, so important and credit to them for that.” “It was a difficult game. Once we had 10 men it was a very difficult game to manage.”

“I think at 1-0 we kept the striker on and thought we might hold it if we were strong defensively.” “We felt we were able to maybe get something and stay in the game.”

“Unfortunately they scored the second early.” “I don’t quite know this team well enough yet. But our fans were fantastic.”

“I was just gutted because it was a day when I didn’t learn a lot, and they probably didn’t either.”

“Old Trafford is a fantastic stadium. It’s a bit eery going to warm up there as an opposition manager, and I’m doing it again near enough 10 years later.”

“It’s always a ground I think was lucky for Middlesbrough.” “I’ve heard that it’s not too lucky for Newcastle. Sometimes you get that.”

“We have to try to turn that around and change that.” “It’s another game where we are testing ourselves.”

“The next two games are against two of the best sides in the Premier League, who will both be there or thereabouts in the Champions League also.”

We have never done very well at Old Trafford and the 1-0 win the season before last through a goal from Yohan Cabaye was the only win we’ve had there since way back in 1993, so it’s one win there in 22 years.

It’s going to be difficult to get a result today, but the lads have to play a good game and be resolute, and the defense has to show they can get the job done in tough games like this.

We basically were second best at Swansea last week in those first 20 minutes, and we cannot start slowly today, otherwise the game could be over all too quickly.

We need to see a commendable display from Newcastle today – whatever the result.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Manchester United?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Match Reports · Poll · Premier League

116 responses so far ↓

• 1 ronaldo aarons // Aug 22, 2015 at 9:58 AM

I like this debate about cisse. I personally see him as a great player to bring off the bench if we are in need of goals, early last season for example. He is in decline and his knee is still troubling him but like a few others mention he doesn’t have a good all round game. Great instinctive striker through. Really don’t think he should be starting games now as a stiker with more strings to his bow can be more beneficial to us as a team. Like others have also mentioned, the biggest part is finishing which is true but I feel we could have more goals in us if we have a striker that can keep hold of the ball up top, rather than losing the ball and were back to defending again. I definitely would not sell him.

• 2 Rotonda heights // Aug 22, 2015 at 9:58 AM

I must say I’m surprised at those stats for JC. I guess it’s a bit subjective as Cabella allegedly created 31 goal scoring chances but we only netted once.

I don’t dislike JC but Chelsea home game last season apart, I just don’t recall him creating that much, especially from set pieces.

Good to have coming on to shore things up but not really a good enough starter. Sorry Abeid has gone as I felt he offered more all round than JC or CT

We already have Saylor throwing his whole body in the way to save a certain goal, ie trying to be a keeper. Passion is great but it doesn’t mask the inability to do very much with a football.

• 3 ronaldo aarons // Aug 22, 2015 at 9:58 AM

If it was up to me I would sell de jong. As much as I like him and was so happy when he signed I personally don’t see him fully recovering from his injury issues these past couple of years. I hate to write people off but I just don’t see him coming back and if he does he definitely won’t be the same player IMO. I saw quite a bit of him at Ajax and was a big fan, he could play deep in a 3 man midfield, he could play number 10 and also he could actually play one the side of a striker in a 433 very well considering his lack of pace. Not forgetting that he played up top a few times as well, very good and clever footballer who looks like injuries have ruined his career like so many in the past. If it was up to me I’d try to sell him for what we could get and go replace him with Franco Vazquez.

• 4 WeNeedAnotherHero // Aug 22, 2015 at 10:00 AM

Can’t wait to see Thauvin in action!

• 5 Rotonda heights // Aug 22, 2015 at 10:01 AM

agree with both posts. cisse off the bench and sadly if de jong can’t produce something quickly, he will be as ineffective as his brother and a waste of a salary.

• 6 ronaldo aarons // Aug 22, 2015 at 10:04 AM

I remember colbacks assist to ameobi in the Tottenham game. Straight from kick off. And I too think abeid leaving is a bad move, I’ve always felt he had a lot of potential and wasn’t given a proper run in the team. When he did get one, before his injury, he was great in dm which is out of position for him. I think he got mom v west brom, he was good v Liverpool and I remember in the league cup game v city he bossed yaya toure like I’ve never seen before, technically and physically. He had to be subbed off after an hour or so.

• 7 northernracoon // Aug 22, 2015 at 10:05 AM

Id like to see McClaren start with the front four of mitrovic, aarons, wini, and thauvin, we should be playing 433 but i think he will match a 4231 that man u will put out … he may even start perez in place of thauvin if sissoko dont play. Still think we are guna get a good 3-1 beating

• 8 Jib // Aug 22, 2015 at 10:06 AM

I like that McClaren isn’t getting ahead of himself.

He said Southampton felt like 2 steps forward whereas Swansea was definitely one step back .

Anita selected for Holland but Janmaat not is a strange one.

We made a big approach for Thauvin 7 weeks ago which was rejected but when Florian saw the players we were buying negotiations restarted about 10 days ago.

Gazza special guest on Soccer am
    Sky are going nuts for Geordies this morning

• 9 Our Toon // Aug 22, 2015 at 10:08 AM

Cisse is what he is, the lads a finisher simple as that. Very crucial to have finishers in the team. The likes of nufc 83 want strikers to do everything, if you want the hold up play and the pretty team build up shit then stick to Riviere buddy, if we had set up the way you’d like strikers to play then we’d be facing Rotherham this week instead of Man Utd.

Aguero last week had 6 shots before he scored, every striker misses more than they score. If you are Riviere you miss all the time.

• 10 ronaldo aarons // Aug 22, 2015 at 10:10 AM

Yeah it’s a shame as de jong was someone I did want us to buy for some time.

• 11 Our Toon // Aug 22, 2015 at 10:10 AM

Colback won’t get dropped because he’s the only English player we have in our starting XI. We won’t play without an Englishman, the press would go mad.

McClaren surprise signing is going to be obertan, he’ll get a new contract for being shit!!

• 12 JDdubai // Aug 22, 2015 at 10:11 AM

Think Aarons should start today with or without Sissoko playing with Thauvin off the bench most likely as doubt Aarons will last the 90.

Would like to see Perez on the right in place of Obertan but realistically it wont happen.

Think Mbemba is the most likely to be able to handle Depay.

If we dont give away any stupid fouls/goals then we have a chance as Man U havent started well – can we do a 90min performance without fecking up defensively???

• 13 Our Toon // Aug 22, 2015 at 10:12 AM

De Jong needs game time, use him for the u21 fixtures, build him up slowly. He’s been unfortunate as a collapsed lung isn’t an injury.

• 14 Ron Knee // Aug 22, 2015 at 10:13 AM

Like you, I think we’ll lose but I hope we at least show some fighting spirit. I wish the fixtures were reversed and we were playing Arsenal at home this week.

• 15 ronaldo aarons // Aug 22, 2015 at 10:14 AM

Northern raccoon
    I would definitely play Perez, in fact I’d play him on pretty all games I’m a big fan. But he should start today as he has always turned up for the big games, even when were getting a lesson he still doesn’t stop trying and gives everything.

• 16 toon kk // Aug 22, 2015 at 10:17 AM

The broons,
    from previous thread, I can’t believe you actually took me serious about Barton, those players are our past mate.

• 17 Our Toon // Aug 22, 2015 at 10:18 AM

Perez looks very good but if he plays it’ll be out wide and defensively how good is he? Will he be tracking the runs of Darmian or Shaw? Will he double up against the likes of Mata and Depay? Sometimes playing your strongest XI doesn’t necessarily mean your best XI to get the right result

• 18 jayphoto // Aug 22, 2015 at 10:18 AM

Hows gazza looking in soccer AM?? Loved him on bt sport earlier in the year, very funny guy! Think he’s been a victim of being a superstar in a time when clubs didn’t know how to protect superstars. One of a kind though and one of the most talented players england has produced!
    We moan about Ashley, but what a team newcastle would have had in the late 80’s if they’d have kept Waddle, Gascoigne and Beardsley for a few more years

• 19 ronaldo aarons // Aug 22, 2015 at 10:19 AM

Our toon
    I don’t think the previous poster was saying he wants a striker that does everything and not score, I think he was wanting a more rounded striker. Demba Ba for example was a well rounded striker and loic remy also. Both offered more than goals and finishing.

And I wasn’t really classing the collapsed lung as injury really, mainly all his other little injuries and noggles he has been picking up before his first and second collapsed lung and since then. But as you mention it a collapsed lung is more of a condition but can still be classed as a lung injury.

• 20 ronaldo aarons // Aug 22, 2015 at 10:23 AM

Our toon
    Pardew played Perez a few times on the wing, sometimes as a starter and sometimes switched him there during the game, each time he as always tracked back and put a shift in. Considering he is not exactly new to the position I assume the defensive side to the wing is something he is aware of. Plus he puts his all on the pitch, even when he is on his last legs he still keeps going. Put it this way, he’ll do a better job defensively than obertan.

• 21 jayphoto // Aug 22, 2015 at 10:24 AM

Would like to see Mclaren spring a tactical surprise today!
    Id consider 3-5-2! We don’t have anything on the fullbacks anyway…
    Mitrovic is a must today. Holds on to the ball better than cisse which we’ll need!
    Unfair because he’s been one of the better players over 2 games but i’ll say now, theres no way obertan goes to old trafford and plays well! Too big a crowd, his old club where be failed, he’ll hide throughout the game!
    Play Thauvin! Hes dying to show the world he can do it at this stage!
    What’s the story with Tiotes fitness? Should be there or there abouts now!

• 22 northernracoon // Aug 22, 2015 at 10:24 AM

Iv got a feeling he wont drop obertan though… especially against his old team…. we really need to start mitrovic aswel…. holds up play better than cisse and has a better work rate… would defo calm him down….i do think alot will revolve around sissoko being fit on who else starts…. if we fight and put in a better show than last week and still lose… id be alot happier! But if we can maybes get a point to go into the arsenal game things could start to get rolling

• 23 ronaldo aarons // Aug 22, 2015 at 10:26 AM

Yeah gazza is one player you kind of wished had gone to man utd and ferguson. Maybe he could have been protected off the field a bit more.

• 24 SPRINGY // Aug 22, 2015 at 10:29 AM

about de jong…big season this year if he keeps breaking down with injurys he’ll b moved on and rightly so unfortunately… if that happens it’ll b a shame coz we would not of seen the best of him….hopefully he has a crackin season tho…and only a few light knocks injury wise

• 25 jayphoto // Aug 22, 2015 at 10:31 AM

Yea, just imagine what he could have been with the right guidance and better people around him!
    Tore up serie A when it was the #1 league too! Not sure i can think of a career where so many wrong choices were made! Should have stayed in toon longer, should have then gone to man utd etc
    Good to see hes looking a bit better these days

• 26 Our Toon // Aug 22, 2015 at 10:32 AM

Perez on the wing against a WBA or a Norwich team would work and a risk worth taking, against man utd or an arsenal I’m not to sure it’s a wise move.

I know what NUFC 83 meant by all round striker, if I’m not mistaken Cisse has a better mins played to goals ratio than both of them when Cisse is used upfront on not on the wing like Pards did. 14 games and 13 goals. The only all round striker I’d have got to replace Cisse is Bony but we buckled at his price. He’s blamed cisse for conceding goals though which is laughable

• 27 SPRINGY // Aug 22, 2015 at 10:33 AM

about cisse….imo is he is alot better in a 3 or 2 up front coz his strength and control lets him down as a lone striker but i think the decision to keep him has been made now and will try and pick austin or another striker up next year….january or more likely the summer b4 the euros

• 28 Slank // Aug 22, 2015 at 10:36 AM

Our Toon @ 12

As much as I would love to see Thauvin make his debut at Old Trafford perhaps instead he should be eased in against Northampton alongside De Jong and Mitrovic who both need 90 competitive minutes.

Again as much as I would like to see a front line at Old Trafford of Aarons, Mitrovic and Thauvin it wouldn’t surprise me if Obertan, Cisse and (if uninjured) Sissoko start.

• 29 Jib // Aug 22, 2015 at 10:37 AM

He’s looking good
    They didn’t hold back and asked him about his recent shit – he seems clean as a whistle and had them all laughing their heads off .
    To repeat he looks fit as a lop

• 30 SPRINGY // Aug 22, 2015 at 10:41 AM

to be fair to cisse or any of our strikers tbh…. we’ve hardly been great at creating loads of chances and raining in crosses over the last few seasons… so maybe this season they’ll all get goals….hopefully!lol……glad to see pics of gazza the other day lookin healthier…not many betta to watch then him in his prime

• 31 toon kk // Aug 22, 2015 at 10:45 AM

All the new signings should be all started today, let’s see what they’re made of, bad job when you spend all that money and you’re wary of playing them. Keep Mitrovic on until he picks up another yellow, then replace him before we’re down to ten men.

• 32 Slank // Aug 22, 2015 at 10:46 AM

ronaldo aarons @ 22

The story goes along the lines (as told by Fergie) that when ManU played against us Gazza was running rings around their players and he deliberately nutmegged two of their players in front of Fergie.

After the game Fergie approached Gazza and said he would like to buy him upon his return from holiday. Unfortunately for Fergie he found on his return from holiday that Gazza had accepted a bid from Spurs.

I think it would have turned out so much different and better for Gazza if he had signed for ManU.

• 33 Our Toon // Aug 22, 2015 at 10:46 AM

I don’t think thauvin should be starting mate, I said last night that we’ve worked on a game plan and it’s been without thauvin. The lads had 1 training session, no one knows his game so to start him would be absolutely bonkers

• 34 ronaldo aarons // Aug 22, 2015 at 10:47 AM

Our toon
    I don’t see it as risk, before he came to us he played the majority of his career in the attacking positions behind the striker. Number 10 or on the wing. We played him up front because we had to at the time and he played well, the striker position is not his natural position, supporting the striker is so I don’t see it as a risk tbh.

I’m not defending the previous poster on his views but I don’t care too much for stats. I prefer making my views on what I see myself. I think cisse had the best mins/goal ratio last year didn’t he? Doesn’t make him the best striker last year. I don’t want to come across as knocking him but I might do lol. Pardew was a fool (and still is) for playing cisse on the wing but when ba left, cisse was brought back in the middle and performed poorly for the rest of the year if I remember.

• 35 Slank // Aug 22, 2015 at 10:50 AM

Our Toon @ 32

Understandable logic I suppose.

I guess ManU have done their homework too against our likely team but possibly wouldn’t have taken into account Thauvin.

• 36 ronaldo aarons // Aug 22, 2015 at 10:51 AM

Agree, think it would have benefitted him greatly. Reminds me of that saying, timings a b….!

• 37 Jib // Aug 22, 2015 at 10:51 AM

This Tunisian footy site says the Abdennour situation is becoming a bit of a soap opera but that .
    a. He’s definitely leaving Monaco

b. The Toon are favourites to get him

• 38 Nufc-83 // Aug 22, 2015 at 10:51 AM

I would rather have gomis than cider every day of the week. Is it so much to ask for a Premiership club who have spent 50m to get a striker with high work rTe and is powerful can score goals and cause the defenders problems.

Our toon why has the striker got to have only one decent attribute?

• 39 Nufc-83 // Aug 22, 2015 at 10:53 AM

Also our toon aguero is playing in a city side that creates chance after chance so they can afford to have a poacher in the team to finish the chances. He also runs well with the ball and can create for himself which cisse can’t do overall bad comparison.

• 40 ronaldo aarons // Aug 22, 2015 at 10:53 AM

Our toon
    Agree with you about thauvin, don’t think he should start today for the reasons you have stated and he would be a good sub to bring on later in the game against tired legs.

• 41 SPRINGY // Aug 22, 2015 at 10:54 AM

cant see thauvin or aarons startin unless sissoko out or they are thinkin of playing 4-3-3….but thinkin it’ll b whats started the last 2 games 4-2-3-1 unfortunately….imo is’nt the best…yet….hopefully as the team gels and work more it gets betta

• 42 Slank // Aug 22, 2015 at 10:55 AM

Jib @ 36

The translation says ‘This becomes a Mexican soap opera’.

Does that mean he gets shot !

• 43 ronaldo aarons // Aug 22, 2015 at 10:57 AM

If schweinsteiger plays, wouldn’t be surprised to see a masterclass from him against our midfield. If shelvey ripped up apart, I’d hate to imagine what he would do.

• 44 Our Toon // Aug 22, 2015 at 10:58 AM

I’d play Perez as a no10 behind the striker not on the wing, I’m not convinced with his defensive capabilities and until I see otherwise my opinion won’t change. Playing on the wing in the premier league us massively different to playing there for tenerife in the 2nd division of Spain.

Cisse confidence was shot by playing on the wing, players play well when confidence is up or they feel good about there game. I’m not much for stats either and Cisse didn’t have the best goals to mins played ratio, think he was in top 5 though and ahead of Austin though, rightly so because he’s a better player.

We had a striker who was on top of his game, came here with confidence high, hit the ground running and then chucked out wide for the start of the next season so his pal who spat his dummy out could be accommodated centrally. Any player will tell you that confidence plays a big part in performing well, same with any sport.

The lad gets plenty of stick for not having an all round game but Cisse is the one who kept the ball in from the cleared corner, played the dinked ball over the top of the defender for Obertan’s class cross which led to the goal. Cisse won the corner which led to the goal, cisse also picked out Colo from a cross which just wouldn’t come down for the curly haired one.

His all round game is nowhere near as bad as what some people make it out to be.

• 45 Belfast // Aug 22, 2015 at 10:58 AM

Pardew actually played 4-4-2 for a good period at the start of the next season. Ba was scoring goals and Cisse was rubbish. Remember the joke about it being his twin brother and not actually him? Pardew then didn’t have the swingers to drop Cisse and shifted him out to the wing where he was ten times worse.

• 46 Jib // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:00 AM

Mehdi Abeid has tweeted
    Twitter: “Home sweet home: I said I’ll Be Back The Green is good to me I’m so happy that I am back I can not wait for the season to start….”

Happy for the kid

• 47 Slank // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:02 AM

Belfast @ 44

‘..didn’t have the swingers to drop Cisse..’

That would have livened things up all those nudes coming on the pitch. Is there an FA rule against copulating couples being substitutes ?

• 48 sing in the corner // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:02 AM

Any rumours about the fee we got for Abeid?

• 49 toon kk // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:03 AM

Our toon
    what game plan do you think we will have been working on? We usually don’t have one from what I’ve witnessed., apart from sit back and hope we don’t get beat by a cricket score.

• 50 mindshaft // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:03 AM

well I’ve gone for a win, manure haven’t looked that great in the two games thus far despite winning them. We need to get at them though and to win I think we need Tiote alongside Anita as Colback doesn’t fominate midfield at all

no doubt Rooney will hit form today to scupper my prediction
    I thought we were coming into the game until Janmatts sending off

• 51 SPRINGY // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:03 AM

just hope whoever plays down the left is left footed and down the right is right footed so they can actually cross the ball on the run(like obertan did for gini goal)…hate it when they have to check back onto there better foot when played out of position…slows down the attacks and does’nt give our striker/strikers the advantage

• 52 Jib // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:03 AM

It means he gets a years supply of white powdery nose candy !!!

• 53 Nufc-83 // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:04 AM

Anyone can pick individual moments of good play out such as obertans cross for the gini goal but doesn’t make them a good player (just watch YouTube clips). Cisse has the worst ball control o have seen and defenders don’t even worry about him at all and this can be seen across the whole season not just moments in a game. Our toon you honestly confuse me with your logic.

• 54 Nufc-83 // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:05 AM

If you want me to post today every time cisse does something bad the blog will be overloaded and a new record of comments will be set.

• 55 SPRINGY // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:05 AM

if you give anyone time like they did with shelvey you will get destroyed tbh….get in there face so they cant look up and pick a pass

• 56 Jib // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:06 AM

sing in the corner
    We received €600,000 and he’s on €280,000 pa

• 57 Our Toon // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:08 AM

Nufc 83

I don’t care what Aguero does mate, it was your daft comment of Cisse missing more than he scores, I guarantee every striker in the world misses more than they score. Look at the team Gomis is playing in at Swansea, if Gomis was here for 2 years and Cisse had been there you’d be saying Gomis is shit why can’t we have a cisse type of striker. Bottom line is Swansea play to Gomis strengths and we don’t have enough creativity to play to Cisse’s strengths.

• 58 Belfast // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:08 AM

Haha lets rephrase that *balls*

• 59 beefman13 // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:08 AM

Well I’m going down the adduct line, and it’s one game at a time, an honest opinion on each game.

I would love to see Thauvin and Aarons start today, don’t think they will, that bugga Obertan will prob get the nod again, the surprise element imo must be given a chance, they know everything else about us, certainly defensively.

Depay looked a top player the other night; fair play he has to be doubled up on, but we can surprise as well, big mitro may just give them summit to think about as well, Wijnaldum as well.

Mitrovic might get away with the Lechter mask, they probably think he has a cheekbone injury haha!

Howay the lad.

Ps just watched us beat Man Utd 1-0 in 1972 all the legends playing dmfor both teams, Tony Green quite simply was a superstar, he sets up the goal for Barrowclough, world class, i know we’re Pedro got his moves from, what a run to set up the goal. It’s on youtube; I promise it will cheer everyone up.

• 60 Jib // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:09 AM

• 61 Nufc-83 // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:09 AM

The simple tactic we need to use is press them high up the pitch and force errors. They don’t have a reel pacy St to get in behind and mbemba should be able to recover if they do. If we sit back it will be 4 or 5 nil

• 62 mindshaft // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:09 AM

think I’d like to see Mitrovic start as he can hold the ball and is more aggressive- obviously the downside is that he may be too aggressive and get sent off after 15 mins

• 63 ronaldo aarons // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:09 AM

Our toon
    But Perez has played on the wing for us last year in the premier league. Did you miss these games? I wasn’t comparing the leagues I was saying the positions behind the striker are his natural positions, number 10 or on the wing. So I don’t see it as a big deal if he was to play these positions, nor would I be bothered if he played as a striker.

And I don’t want to be seen as criticising cisse because I’m not, I just don’t think he should be starting games for us for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

• 64 jayphoto // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:10 AM

Need Taylor today i think in the middle! Id pair him with mbemba but guessing Chancel will go to right back!
    Fellaini will have a field day if we play colo and mbemba paired!
    Good time to play man utd! Depay hasn’t quite got to grips with the pace of the game yet! Looked more comfortable at champions league and hel adapt! Rooney looks lost up top alone…
    They have great pace out wide… But in the middle, fellaini, carrick, blind, schweinsteiger and schneiderlin aren’t very quick across the ground! Anita gini and colback should be heavily pressing and we should be fluid and moving off the ball when in possession.
    Id play Thauvin simply because his off the ball movement is so energetic!
    Man utd look good defensively but romero has a clanger in him! Id play mitrovic as romero is dire in coming for crosses against physical centre forwards! So far spurs pulled them apart and were guilty of awful finishing and for some reason villa played 2 quick strikers against them! Uniteds backline looked uneasy when gestede came on tho…

• 65 Nufc-83 // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:10 AM

I didn’t say he missus more chances than he scores I said he missus more 1v1 than he scored. Any good striker would likely score more 1v1 but cisse is purely instinctive any time to think and he goes to bits.

• 66 Nufc-83 // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:12 AM

You also compared cisse style of play to aguero and know you saying I don’t care what aguero does when I reply hahah

• 67 Nufc-83 // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:12 AM

• 68 Slank // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:12 AM

Brighton have reportedly turned down a fourth offer of £M from Fulham for defender Lewis Dunk.

Norwich have failed with their approach for player ‘whose name we no longer mention’ as they were only prepared to offer a package for £14m.

Me thinks there is going to be a bit of 11th hour brinkmanship this week.

• 69 Slank // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:13 AM

In excess of 5M for Dunk

• 70 mickalfas // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:14 AM

£450,000 for Abeid ,and they want £2m for Willo
    That’s got to be a joke ffs

• 71 Slank // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:15 AM

Fellaini will not have a field day as he is suspended apparently.

• 72 SPRINGY // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:16 AM

i think mitro would be the better chance then cisse to hold up the “out ball”…but if he started man utd would kick seven colours of shite out of him to get him sent off so unless macca can trust him he’ll start with cisse

• 73 jayphoto // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:16 AM

Difference between aguero missing chances and cisse missing them is that agueros intelligent movement, pace and skill on the ball mean hes always going to get more chances!
    Ageuro is one thing of the best strikers ever in the PL though! Its like comparing vieira to clarence acuna because they both give away fouls….

• 74 sing in the corner // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:17 AM

Wow 600,000 euros is nowt for Abeid! I will watch his career from afar. Convinced that is a snip!

• 75 Rotonda heights // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:17 AM

mickalfas we got 1.5M for abeid but agreed still way too low. he, perez and aarons were the stand outs last season

• 76 Jib // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:17 AM

When a journo said to SM – Mitrovic is a bit wild and unpredictable you will have to watch him – McClaren responded – He’s a winner , that’s why we bought him , and we aint going to curb that .

• 77 jayphoto // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:18 AM

@slank – is he??
    Might be the first time mbemba and colo partnership makes sense then… Man utd have no height up top aside from him

• 78 toon22 // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:20 AM

Think todays game will be as much about the ref and the team we play.
    If its anything like the first two games he might as well hand the game to them.

• 79 Our Toon // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:20 AM

Nufc 83

My preference is mitrovic upfront but if we had it your way we’d be in the championship now, Goals win games not pretty link up play!!

• 80 jayphoto // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:20 AM

I liked the look of abeid but thats 3 managers in a row that didn’t fancy him… Interesting the club didn’t value his sell on price higher than that though

• 81 SPRINGY // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:21 AM

whos playing rb then?…..anita lascelle taylor would prefer mbemba to stay at cb tbh….so who?

• 82 Slank // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:22 AM

Definitely suspended.

• 83 Our Toon // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:24 AM

Nufc 83

Anyone who has any sense and will know I didn’t compare cisse and Aguero as players. I said all strikers miss more chances than they score and gave the example of the best striker in the league in Aguero. Please don’t fabricate what I’ve stated.

• 84 SPRINGY // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:24 AM

i liked abeids energy and combativeness in midfield…just always dropped without a chance at a good run of games…. good luck to the lad

• 85 lesh // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:24 AM

Playing Mitrovic certainly would add a different dimension to our play – provided he gets the service. I’d be inclined to play him alongside Cisse who’s be there to sniff out goals from loose balls in the box.

Thauvin’d be the obvious one to put the ball into the box and maybe McClaren might put him on for the second half today.

The big risk playing Mitro at Old Trafford (we know that refs do feel intimidated and generally err in favour of the home side) is that he may be drawn into commuting cardable fouls. His record if two yellows I’m as many minutes suggests his hot-headedness might just go against us. He needs to get some meaningful playing time in so let’s hope that our in-house shrink, Mr Black, has worked on him to help Mitro curb his rashness.

• 86 Jib // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:25 AM

We were offered £1.4 million by Fortuna Dusseldorf but the lad wanted to return to Greece (he’s probably earning a third of what he would get in Germany) , the club did the right thing by the player , you neggers bear that in mind next time you want to slag YOUR club off .

• 87 firebug666 // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:25 AM

from previous @9

As usual you fail to read the blog fully, and fail to see the bigger picture.

• 88 Nufc-83 // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:26 AM

Our toon I don’t think you realise what I am saying why couldn’t we have an all round St who scored goals and contributes to the team? If we had that would we have been in a relegation battle last season. The answer is you don’t know so how you can say we would be in the championship is beyond me

• 89 Slank // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:28 AM

The betting is that ManU to win 2-0.

However, the pundits are not entirely convinced about ManU running on all cylinders. We have yet to find ours.

• 90 ronaldo aarons // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:28 AM

Can’t actually believe it if I’m honest, third game into the new season and were struggling to find a player to play at right back!!

• 91 sing in the corner // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:31 AM

On Mitro

I completely understand the worry about him – it’s been there for all to see that he’s a bit of a heedbanger.
    But I find it hard to believe that everyone won’t now have been in his lughole behind the scenes about being a bit more cute about his ‘play’? Hopefully… 🙂

• 92 ronaldo aarons // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:31 AM

We can’t find ours because we decided to go for horses and carts!!

• 93 Slank // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:32 AM

ronaldo aarons

Very good lol

• 94 WWSBRD // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:33 AM

I reckon pretty heavy defeat today. Be interesting to see if McClaren changes formation today

• 95 Nufc-83 // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:34 AM

Mitro just has to start today as he should have the jump on blind all day. If I was SM I would be telling him if he gets sent off he is in the deep stuff.

• 96 Our Toon // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:34 AM

Nufc 83

Name me all the strikers in the prem who have an all round game and score goals….at least 10 league goals

• 97 ronaldo aarons // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:35 AM

We really could do with a midfield general, not had a proper one since Gary speed. There’s a new kid coming out of river plate, looks quality and if coloccini was any good, he’d try and get him over here rather than facundo!! Don’t know if anyone has seen him but I recommend you do, matias kranevitter. If we don’t snap him up this summer he’ll be gone in a year max to a big european club.

• 98 Slank // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:35 AM

‘..I reckon pretty heavy defeat today..’

Yes it’s about time ManU got a good walloping !

• 99 Nufc-83 // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:36 AM

Pretty much every St in the league so no point

• 100 Slank // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:36 AM

ronaldo aarons

‘…There’s a new kid coming out of river plate..’

He’s probably a bit wet behind the ears for us.

• 101 toon kk // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:38 AM

With us buying young players with potential or should I say potential high sell on value, we’re not getting any instant success out of all the money spent, we’ve just upgraded slightly and relying on a league 1 defence.
    We’re in for a good thumping today I’m going for 4-0.

• 102 Nufc-83 // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:38 AM

Also doesn’t need to have complete all round game just more than one attribute of being a poacher is more my concern. So a small fast St who can beat players etc does not have to be good in the air for instance.

• 103 WWSBRD // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:39 AM

Haha probably is mate but I doubt it’ll come from us lot…unless u mean physical walloping then Mitrovic might offer that

• 104 ronaldo aarons // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:42 AM

I call him a kid but he’s 21-22 and has been playing first team football for 2 years. I only saw a few games last season but he does look the real deal, closest thing to makelele since the man himself.

• 105 Our Toon // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:44 AM

Nufc 83

You haven’t answered the question, like a politician you’ve dodged the question.

These are strikers in the prem who have an all round game and can get double figures in goals:

Pelle (very hit and miss)

Can’t think of any others off the top of my head can you?

All those players are out of our reach!!

• 106 optimistic prime // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:44 AM

5-1 to us.

Ashley out!

• 107 Mister Tuff // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:45 AM

jib – you will surely have noticed a reference to river plate. This is not a company called “River” who make plates and other items of crockery but an Argentinian football club.
    (just saving you some Google search time as we know you are not up to speed with South American football viz – club team Brazil United).

• 108 colwell // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:45 AM

Come on Thauvin take Shaw to the cleaners

• 109 ronaldo aarons // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:45 AM

I liked reading what jenas had to say about Austin. People have the view that he is just a poacher, a finisher which I do not agree with. Worth reading on the bbc site.

• 110 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:46 AM

Sissoko to AC Milan possible. I deffo think he is away this window like.

• 111 toon kk // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:46 AM

Mitrovic to start

• 112 Noel Worst // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:46 AM

Perez and Mitrovic start – great!

• 113 colwell // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:46 AM

Glad Mitro is starting but we still have no one to cross ffs

• 114 Nufc-83 // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:47 AM

Our toon I would have almost any striker over cisse and it’s more about strikers with more than one attribute to their game and contribute to the team

• 115 ronaldo aarons // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:48 AM

Our toon
    How can you forget rivière from the list?? He should be right at the top, especially above aguero!!!!

• 116 Shadow_Shearer // Aug 22, 2015 at 11:48 AM

Obertan still in the starring line up, ahead of arrons & Thauvin. This guy seems undroppable

previous post: McClaren – Newcastle Have Delivered 100% On Owner’s Words