The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

McClaren – Players Still 20% Short Of Being Fully Match Fit

9:14 am, Monday, August 24th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 165 Comments

One of the positive thing about the performance at Manchester United on Saturday was that we defended superbly for maybe the first time this season, and it was our first clean sheet and something to build on.

But Steve McClaren also knows that the players are still not as sharp as they need to be and he thinks we will see another additional 20% from the lads.

Steven Taylor Manchester+United+v+Newcastle+qMsnEN2M_dBl

Steven Taylor – had a very good game for Newcastle on Saturday

Steve McClaren talked about some of the players who played really well at the back for Newcastle on Saturday:

“I thought along with Steven Taylor, Coloccini was excellent. I also thought Chancel Mbemba was superb.” “He’s not a right-back, but he did a gallant job there.”

“That back four – five with Tim Krul behind – is going to be important for us.” “You don’t come to Old Trafford and get a result if you don’t defend well, and that’s what we did.”

“We conceded two goals against Southampton and two more against Swansea, albeit with ten men, so it was important to keep a clean sheet.”

“I thought we were excellent, and that performance is a real platform.” “You look at our players and think they’re still 20% or so down on where they’ll eventually be.”

“I look around our squad and think, ‘Well he could be sharper, and he could be sharper’.” “It was a short pre-season and an early start, and that’s what you’re going to get.”

The players are still not match fit, and we were surprised and pleased with the sterling way in which Steven Taylor went about the job – and he had an excellent game for us.

But McClaren’s also been clear about what it takes for Steven Taylor to become an important player for us this season – he needs to stay fit.

Over the last  six years Steven has had a number of serious and long term injuries, and on January 1st he ruptured his Achilles and was out for the rest of last season.

If Steven can keep playing near his best form – which he did on Saturday – he can again become a big player for the Magpies.

But we must keep him fit.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Northampton?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Fitness · Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League · Steven Taylor

165 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ian Toon // Aug 24, 2015 at 9:18 AM

5Ian Toon // Aug 24, 2015 at 9:15 AM

I am not a fan of Ben Arfa but for those that are you’ll just love- Ian Hawkey’s article- ” Ben Arfa’s dazzling return puts him on road to redemption”.
    It’s in Total Football in today’s Daily Telegraph.

• 2 hibbit // Aug 24, 2015 at 9:30 AM

jib …was your vote against a defender in general or the tunisian in particular ?

• 3 Blofal // Aug 24, 2015 at 9:36 AM

Team for Northampton..

—————–Darlow
    Janmaat – Mbemba – Saylor – Haidara
    ————Tiote——Colback
    Thauvin——-De Jong——Aarons
    ——————Cisse

Bench: Krul, Perez, Mitrovic, Coloccini, Anita, Obertan, Winjaldum

• 4 Mag52 // Aug 24, 2015 at 9:44 AM

Nut meg.(previous post)

That blogger, whoever it was, who reckoned Pardew’s success with Palace is down to the previous manager Pulis, could maybe explain how Pulis’ team had gained, was it one or two points from the nine games prior to Pardew’s arrival and were third from bottom place in the premiership, and finished in the top half of the table under Pardew.

• 5 the broons // Aug 24, 2015 at 9:44 AM

blofal

Either way I know that tiote, de jong, aarons and Thauvin have to play. Both for fitness and for Mcclaren to assess them further as these are players that I feel we should be trying to get in the first team.

• 6 welshgeordie9 // Aug 24, 2015 at 9:46 AM

I watched the full game last night of the match, mitrovic is going to be one pain in the arse for the opposition this season, lol, at last we have signed a quality centre back in mbemba, gini as always looked class as he was in pre season, then i watched thauvin closely and must admit there’s something about that player that tells me he could be the best out of the lot.

• 7 the broons // Aug 24, 2015 at 9:47 AM

Mag52

Newcastle fans will always have an agenda against Pardew. The only thing I hated about his reign in particular was his inability to get players motivated for the derby.

For what he achieved in the most modest of circumstances was quite good and he deserves the current success he’s currnetly gaining at Palace.

• 8 welshgeordie9 // Aug 24, 2015 at 9:48 AM

As for the bench, i can’t remember last time we had strong bench like that and without sissoko.

Wow springs to mind.

• 9 Jib // Aug 24, 2015 at 9:49 AM

Hibbit
    I feel if SM’s coaching can instil the same improvement we’ve seen in Tayls and Colo , in Dummett Lascelles and other defenders , then we would be wasting money on an untried foreigner.
    Janmaat was the outstanding defender last season , he has stood still and the rest have caught him up.
    I don’t see the need for a defender at the moment and we’ve only got 15 PL games until the next window when we can review the situation.

• 10 welshgeordie9 // Aug 24, 2015 at 9:50 AM

Like i said before, to get the players motivated for the derby, get mitrovic to do the team talk.

• 11 the broons // Aug 24, 2015 at 9:50 AM

welshgeordie9

Could! he has the most potential as has been taught about but I thought mitrovic was raw, Thauvin is on a whole new level.

Don’t get me wrong I love his typpe of player, the ones who commit to take on the defender however he needs to learn to do it in the attacking third of the pitch and not in our own half.

• 12 the broons // Aug 24, 2015 at 9:53 AM

welshgeordie9

I do agree with Mitrovic though, I can’t help but love him already.

• 13 Novocastrian66 // Aug 24, 2015 at 9:55 AM

Mag52: I think they were referring to the success Crystal Palace have from set pieces. Pardew has gone on record saying that their record from set pieces has nothing to do with him and it was down to the coaches, who were well established when he took over. Also Pardew did not take over from Pulis he took over from Warnock.

• 14 jimmysmith // Aug 24, 2015 at 9:59 AM

I am also unashamedly already in love with Mitrovic.

• 15 calvinzolamakongo // Aug 24, 2015 at 10:04 AM

Be good to see what lascelles looks lik with collo next to him as i do think collo gets the best out of his partners am i right in think jamall only played with will and satka pre season ?

• 16 lesh // Aug 24, 2015 at 10:06 AM

Jimmysmith

Naughty naughty now or you’ll soon have competition for Mitro!

• 17 calvinzolamakongo // Aug 24, 2015 at 10:09 AM

Or even chancel as he looked very vocal in the soto game

• 18 OneAlanShearer // Aug 24, 2015 at 10:14 AM

I really hope we put Northampton to the sword quickly. A good win is what is needed. I think the side has to be a strong one to show they are serious about the cups. The media will have a field day if they don’t.

• 19 Mag52 // Aug 24, 2015 at 10:16 AM

Novo.

Yes he took over from Warnock, but the point made by that previous poster was that it was essentially Pulis’ team, he was not only referring to the set pieces, and in that he was correct. It was Pulis’ team in free fall.
    Pardew gave the credit to the coaches. Maybe, but it wasn’t working,was it, till he took over ?

• 20 Whumpie // Aug 24, 2015 at 10:16 AM

I’m not quite so enamoured with Mitro… yet. But I think he’s already showing signs of brilliance and if Maclaren can get the psych right, he’ll be great.

Taylor (I still feel the urge to call him Saylor even though Raylor has gone) did brilliantly, but it’s not just his fitness that he needs to sort out – it’s his attitude. If he can replicate Saturday’s mindset all season, he’ll be great. But if he reverts to the twatting-around, “look at me, I’m such a lad” BS of the past 12 years, he’s no use to anyone.

• 21 SPRINGY // Aug 24, 2015 at 10:17 AM

calvin
    im pretty sure ya right about lascelle only playing with satka and willo….and satka looked woeful but was pre-season….if macca can get lascelle playing and learning he could a beast coz he’s a big unit!

• 22 the broons // Aug 24, 2015 at 10:21 AM

jimmysmith

He could quite easily become a toon legend. I know thats getting way ahead of myself but his potential ability mixed with his charisma, could easily become our new hero.

• 23 Rotonda heights // Aug 24, 2015 at 10:24 AM

Mag52

I think your worryingly endless love in with the dearly departed AP is more concerning than Toonbrother’s hatred fixation on Colo. It is you sir who needs to move on. Did you register we drew with Manu at OT by any chance?

• 24 Rotonda heights // Aug 24, 2015 at 10:25 AM

Whumpie

You couldn’t have put it better re saylor.

• 25 calvinzolamakongo // Aug 24, 2015 at 10:30 AM

Yeh 6ft 4 tank whos got pace hopefully he continues ro develop remeber cbs take lomger to get into the game samllimg is onlh just starting to come good i mean ne a quality cb under 24 dont say stones coz i dont rate him lol

• 26 expatmag // Aug 24, 2015 at 10:30 AM

Mag52

Maybe you should get your facts right about Pulis and Palace.

Pulis left Palace a week before the season started having cited a lack of support by the board in procuring the players he required to take the club to the next step. One of those players was Zaha who eventually returned to the club when Pardew took over.

It was Neil Warnock who took over from Pulis and got them into the mess they were in prior to Pardew taking over.

Whilst Pardew did ok, he was substantially backed by the board in the January and this transfer markets and was in a much better position than Pulis was in when he took over the club 12 months earlier.

• 27 Rotonda heights // Aug 24, 2015 at 10:31 AM

Mag 52

it is quite extraordinary given the overwhelming weight of evidence to the contrary (the record losing runs, record goals conceded, record fewest scored, not to mention the sh–e football played, favourites played regardless of form, players in wrong positions etc etc) that you still love AP. Takes all sorts I guess.

Back when he managed Reading I used to enjoy his football but that was a long, long, time ago.

• 28 calvinzolamakongo // Aug 24, 2015 at 10:31 AM

Name*

• 29 Sav // Aug 24, 2015 at 10:34 AM

How can any football fan not be a fan of Ben Arfa? Whether he is playing for us or not its got to be good if the lad can find himself again. You can only wish him the best as someone who reminds us why we love the game in the first place.

• 30 cyprus // Aug 24, 2015 at 10:38 AM

Steve,
    This is the type of player we need now.

Maybe if we told him the dinosar’s gone

• 31 cyprus // Aug 24, 2015 at 10:38 AM

dinosaur

• 32 SPRINGY // Aug 24, 2015 at 10:39 AM

maybe thats why they dont want to pay huge amounts for abdennour…if they can get him on the cheap some how then fair enough but if he’s goin to be to pricey they might stick with what they’ve got for the time bein and get that wolves striker or someone else in.. if the rumours are to be believed

• 33 SPRINGY // Aug 24, 2015 at 10:44 AM

cyprus
    he always was good to watch and looks like he still is but attitude was his downfall…but dont no exactly what happened with pardew so cant be to judgemental….good to see him playing and scoring good goals again..hope he knuckles down and plays instead wasting away

• 34 the broons // Aug 24, 2015 at 10:46 AM

calvinzolamakongo

Even though I do rate stones, heres just a few I can think of;

Varane
    Zouma
    De Vrij
    Marquinhos
    Umititi
    Schaar
    Rudiger
    Kongolo

• 35 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 24, 2015 at 10:52 AM

Lots of living in the past here this morning 😀

Pardew left in Jan. Forget him. Hos success at Palace has no bearing on his tenure here. Palace suits him better, thats all.

HBA failed here because of his attitude. No one is saying he isnt a good player when he is up for it, but you shouldnt have to continually suck him off just so that he produces it. It wasn’t the managers or coaches or the other players to blame. He had done it before, and there is as yet no garuntee that he wont do it again. If he has truely sorted his tw@tfullness out, then fair play and good luck, and we move on.

• 36 one fine day // Aug 24, 2015 at 10:53 AM

Hopefully next year we don’t spend two weeks playing pointless games in the USA then.
    On Pardue please lads he has gone ffs give it up.
    Just remember where we were after the first 6 games last year under the great one … On yet another abysmal run and just results either we were playing awful football .carver was offering fans outside at Southampton … It just goes on.
    Jesus ok we hung on at old Trafford but it was till a good point and we did actually have some good moments and had cisse had a better first touch or had thavin been one shoe size bigger we may well have being talking about a great three points.
    We are far from perfect yet but I have a real feeling we are moving the right way for once
    Hwtf

• 37 Reyantoon // Aug 24, 2015 at 10:58 AM

Like many fans,I’m also satisfied by our performance against mu.I thought we will get spanked but surprisingly,very proud of the lads at the end.Every players perform superbly.I esp
    delighted by Mitrovic and Anita’s work rate and fighting display.Also cheered by glimpses of touches and skills of Thauvin.He’ll be our new ben arfa.Hopefully we’ll be consistent from now on and take that brilliant display to our next games.Howay the lads!!

• 38 one fine day // Aug 24, 2015 at 11:01 AM

Sav @29
    Cyprus@ 30
    This is the guy we should be looking at for those who are struggling with the HBA withdrawals.
    Outrageous talent.
    Why he is not in one of the top leagues is beyond me
    Just watch and think of him in a black and white shirt

• 39 hibbit // Aug 24, 2015 at 11:02 AM

i can think of 14 other teams in the prem who would be happy to hang on to a point at man u …..if your that keen on pardue go support palace otherwise he’s gone move on

• 40 one fine day // Aug 24, 2015 at 11:09 AM

In that clip just watch the pass he makes with the outside of the boot at around 1.15 in
    If messi had made that it would be shown around the globe on a weekly basis for ever .
    Watched Abdul Rahman a fair bit in the Asian champs here last summer and he was streets ahead of everyone in a pretty average side

• 41 the broons // Aug 24, 2015 at 11:10 AM

hibbit

Way I look at it teams that will definitely finish above us this season are Man U, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal.

I think the other teams that SHOULD finish above us are Spurs, Everton, Liverpool.

So 7th is our realistic top ambition however that is only if things start to click. Swansea and Southampton are both teams that are very similar to ability to us in my honest opinion. so wouldn’t be surprised if us 3 make up the 7th, 8th, 9th spots

• 42 Slank // Aug 24, 2015 at 11:12 AM

For the Northampton game the club has a balancing act.

The fans want the club to take the cup games seriously and the club has said yes it will.

However, McClaren has some first team players in need of game time eg Darlow, Lascelles, Tiote, Dummitt, De Jong, Thauvin and Aarons.

Can McClaren keep faith with the club’s promise and still give some players needed game time and win ?

• 43 Jib // Aug 24, 2015 at 11:13 AM

Ben Arfa got lucky
    The defenders forced him wide
    He had 2 players in the box in a better position than him whom he didn’t even look at and Remy Vercoutre (who spent most of his career at Lyons as understudy to Hugo Lloris) could easily have stood big and blocked it , a la Krul.
    Very lucky goal against a crap goalie.

• 44 one fine day // Aug 24, 2015 at 11:18 AM

Slack
    I say pick a team to win and win well
    I’d like to see Dejong. And Aaron’s get at least a half but will be good to see mitrovic get among the goals to .
    As for the other fringe or players looking for game time .. Maybe once the game is safe…. I still haven’t got over Brighton and Leicester last jan

• 45 Average_Contents // Aug 24, 2015 at 11:19 AM

Slank

I don’t see why not and if it was the case I’d be happy as they definitely need the minutes plus as you said, some are first team material. Playing the likes of sterry, satka ect would point to previous none interest in cups imho.

• 46 one fine day // Aug 24, 2015 at 11:21 AM

Slanck
    Apologies for auto correct

• 47 cyprus // Aug 24, 2015 at 11:22 AM

Swansea similar to ability?

That didn’t quite come out in the game. But it’s early days.

Re manu match, as I said, I was shell-shocked at the end. We defended valiantly, yes, but thought we were now closer in terms of ability and could actually give them a game. Silly me.

Anyway, early days still.

• 48 Mag52 // Aug 24, 2015 at 11:46 AM

Rotonda.

You obviously missed my comment regarding out match at OT. Never mind.Regarding AP, I’m very happy to move on, yet every so often certain bloggers can’t seem to help themselves from having a pop at him, and if I think they are being unfair, I’ll say so. That’s all.

• 49 Ian Toon // Aug 24, 2015 at 12:03 PM

Mag52- I admire your persistence. It’s always easier to be critical rather than provide a critique. At least Palace is now very much Pardew’s team yet there are still posts claiming he’s benefitting from Pulis’ efforts. Football is a fickle business with a narrow dividing line between success and failure. I don’t recall too many 5th placed finishes post SBR.
    Maybe one day you’ll be able to address the usual suspects with ” You remember all the unjustifiable grief directed at Pardew. Of course, he went on to great things and most ended up eating humble pie. Remember ???. In any event none of them would- just supposing.

Looking at the here and now at the toon. I think we have seen the early shoots of Macca’s brave new world. We have shown we can play it tight and as a tactically organised team unit. I was encouraging to read that Tim Krul post match spoke of the players buying into a new
    philosophy.

• 50 Rotonda heights // Aug 24, 2015 at 12:04 PM

Did I forget the headbutt and calling pellegrini, no plan B etc etc.

Maybe people have a pop at AP because they now see things being done a lot more professionally with proper coaching and technical players being used correctly in their proper positions just for starters.

• 51 Mag52 // Aug 24, 2015 at 12:04 PM

Expat.

Your argument has to be with the guy, a few days ago, who reckoned AP’s success at Palace is down to him inheriting Pulis’ team.
    In fact, although essentially Pulis’ team, you’re right that, I think, three players were recruited in the January window.

• 52 Jail for Ashley // Aug 24, 2015 at 12:08 PM

Mag52,
    Would you have him back here ?

• 53 Macas // Aug 24, 2015 at 12:09 PM

Actually the game against Man U reminded me at times of how we played under Pardew.
    Backs to the wall defending and hoping to catch them on the break.
    Early days yet under McClaren but have yet to see a noticeable improvement in playing style.

• 54 Slank // Aug 24, 2015 at 12:11 PM

one fine day

‘… I still haven’t got over Brighton and Leicester last jan..’

I’m still smarting over Hereford !

• 55 Jail for Ashley // Aug 24, 2015 at 12:11 PM

Pardews football was nothing short of diabolical. Full stop, he is on par as a manager as Allardyce and even the mackems don’t want him there.

• 56 Mag52 // Aug 24, 2015 at 12:12 PM

Rotonda.

I suppose that includes playing Mbemba at full back ? He did a job, and IMO should start there against Arsenal, but if AP had done that…………….???

• 57 Magpie Season // Aug 24, 2015 at 12:13 PM

IanToon,

Read the article & then saw his goal. The article itself is very one-sided but it does take me back to some of the wonderful times he was here.
    I remember his first goal at Everton, with Harper being injured & Krul coming on; like it was yesterday.

• 58 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 24, 2015 at 12:14 PM

Macas

I fully believe we played that way because we are not ready to try a new brand of flowing, attacking footy away at Old Trafford. Like you say, it’s early days. At the moment, I think SM will employ whatever tactics he deems required for the tougher games, until he has built the side he wants. Fingers crossed.

• 59 Magpie Season // Aug 24, 2015 at 12:15 PM

Palace have scored the most goals from set-pieces under Pardew. & this is amongst all the teams in the league. 4 years with us just the 1 goal I think.

• 60 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 24, 2015 at 12:16 PM

Mag52

Most people had valid concerns to dislike pardews style. I for one would have understood the need to play Mbemba at RB on Saturday, and would not have critisized Pardew for doing it. I was more bothered when he messed with things that were WORKING.

• 61 Slank // Aug 24, 2015 at 12:16 PM

Average_Contents @ 45

My balancing act would be

Darlow
    Janmaat – Lascelles – Colo – Dummitt (if uninjured)
    Tiote – Anita
    Aarons – De Jong – Thauvin
    Mitrovic

• 62 Ian Toon // Aug 24, 2015 at 12:18 PM

It’s quite hilarious how a group of managers in the PL lurch from being very good to utterly useless. Pulis, Lambert, Pardew, Allardyce and Pedknapp to name but a few. They have all had periods of being viewed as some type of messiah or plain incompetent.
    A popular talking point in east London at the moment is that WHU should never have got rid of fat Sam.

• 63 Rotonda heights // Aug 24, 2015 at 12:19 PM

Oh sorry snidey’s appeared and we all know how apparently AP gave him private counsel on a regular basis!!

In what parallel universe did AP ever go on to great things. One good season here when all the stars aligned and the rest was pretty dire, missing relegation etc with awful containing football which didn’t contain and kept our Goals scored column very low.

Even before AP left, everton game apart, don’t forget we were in another awful trot.

CP were made for AP and he carried on a Pulis inspired way of playing (after warnock’s short tenure) which he was comfortable with. Lower midtable hoofball is AP’s handwriting.

I think ash gave him every chance as he could have been sacked on so many occasions.

CP have some great players and for their fans sake I hope AP doesn’t revert to type and straitjacket them. At Reading I had time for AP. That was then.

• 64 Macas // Aug 24, 2015 at 12:23 PM

YouCouldn’tMakeItUp – You may well be right, and apart from the first 20 minutes I though we did fairly well. At least Gouffran is no more, and hopefully Obertan will be out of the first team soon as well.

• 65 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 24, 2015 at 12:26 PM

People need to leave it. It’s silly.

Palace and Pardew fit. They play better football than we did under him. So what? All that proves is that he was not right for us in the long run. Why do people want him to succeed/fail so strongly. Why should anyone still care?

• 66 Mag52 // Aug 24, 2015 at 12:26 PM

Jail.

Would I have Pardew back here ? No way in the world.
    Having him back at NUFC would simply take the attention of a substantial number of supporters away once again from the root cause of the problems we have,(FatAsh), and they would redirect their criticism at the manager once more, thus giving the owner a get out.
    One of the reasons, Jail, that I have never been able to understand why you call yourself what you do, and yet you were unable to see the restrictions under which AP operated while manager here.

• 67 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 24, 2015 at 12:27 PM

Macas

Yeah goofy seems to have been given the opd heave-ho. I heard rumors of interest in Obertron, so maybe he is in the shop window?

• 68 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 24, 2015 at 12:29 PM

Mag52

In defence of JFA….. you might find that one of kail’s frustrations was that AP was complicit in these restrictions. It would have been more respectable if he had stood up for himself.

• 69 Ian Toon // Aug 24, 2015 at 12:30 PM

Magpie Season- I am not a Ben Arfa fan and much preferred Cabaye.
    I wrote about the de Jong tackle and double leg break injury just the other week. Managers often are more reluctant to move players on if they’ve bought them in. Maybe Hughton would have found a way to integrate him into the side. I personally saw it as being fairly conclusive evidence of him not being a team play when he was noticeably shunned by the majority of French players in the squad. Cabaye viewed him as a loner. However, things could have been so different – he was a talent and the goal at Everton was something special. I hope he continues to do well.

• 70 Ian Toon // Aug 24, 2015 at 12:34 PM

Rotonda- it would help if you could read and understand what I was actually saying. Take as long as you like!

• 71 nightfa11 // Aug 24, 2015 at 12:43 PM

who cares about pardew.. he was sh*t here.. and im not talking about the statistics..which was the worst ever..

it was his bullshit arguments..his excusses..blaming everyone, from players to fans etc..his team selections and subs were just awful.. he couldnt adapt to save his life.. ruined several players..

my personal 3 worst days as a nufc fan:

– the day big sam become a manager
    – the day we signed alan smith
    – the day pardew become a manager

• 72 one fine day // Aug 24, 2015 at 12:53 PM

Slink @54
    Ha lol
    Hereford was a bit before my time but I do still us in those clips wearing horrible red shirts every time there is any ref to giant killers etc
    Had a think and my earliest baptism of How painful the cup can be to us involved a certain Telford mills …:)

• 73 martoon // Aug 24, 2015 at 12:54 PM

The team against Northampton will be interesting bearing in mind we are the early game against Arsenal on Saturday. I’m pretty sure Mac will make wholesale changes but really bearing in mind comments about our strong bench we should be able to do this and win at home against a league 1 team – shouldn’t we?

• 74 sing in the corner // Aug 24, 2015 at 12:58 PM

ofd@72

Haha good old Trelford! Remember the game well. I was in the floodlight corner. At school we were all devising Trelford Mills comics involving various ways to torture and top the bloke. It was an evening game..? Was it Luton, or Brighton or summat??

• 75 Jail for Ashley // Aug 24, 2015 at 1:03 PM

Mag52,
    Although the football was absolute dross and largely responsible for the morgue like atmosphere at SJP that season we finished fifth, I was quite vocal in my defence of Pardew because of the reasons you point out. He took an eight year deal knowing full well it was in the blueprint to finish tenth and exit the cups as soon as possible, not only was he complicit with this but he openly defended Ashley despite being continually hung out to dry. You complain that it was him that took the focus off the real culprit yet it was his barely acceptable results that prolonged the misery. If he had of walked when he was double manager of the year instead of taking that eight year deal to win fcuk all we may have forced Ashley’s hand a couple of years earlier.

• 76 SPRINGY // Aug 24, 2015 at 1:05 PM

i put a team out yesterday i thought should start but after thinkin about it and the fact its an early kick off sat against the arse i’ve tweeked it a little
    keeper= darlow
    defence=janmaat colo lascelle dummit(if fit)or haidara
    def/mid=tiote kemen/anita
    at/mid=perez de jong aarons
    for=mitro
    subs mbemba haidara?taylor thauvin toney colback wini

• 77 SPRINGY // Aug 24, 2015 at 1:05 PM

and krul

• 78 Blofal // Aug 24, 2015 at 1:06 PM

Even though it’s Northampton, all the previous media around NUFC not trying in the cups will probably force McClaren to field a stronger team then he should.

But if we could not only win.. but win comfortably, then it would boost morale no end. We should be trying to score at least 3 goals in this game.

• 79 Mag52 // Aug 24, 2015 at 1:08 PM

You couldn’t…etc.

More respectable to have stood up to the restrictions placed on him by the owner ?
    Maybe, if he wanted to lose his job.
    There must be millions of employees in this country working under conditions they disagree with, while not being dire enough to take their problems to the union.
    They, sensibly, put up with it and go about doing the best job they can under the circumstances.
    Are they all unrespectable ?

• 80 Our Toon // Aug 24, 2015 at 1:09 PM

I think we have to be grateful to LVG and the massively overrated Rooney as well as our defence for the clean sheet. If they had bought Hernandez on earlier or even started him then we would have had problems defensively because someone would be looking to run in behind rather than a Rooney who played in front of us the entire game. The one time he did run in behind he was given offside….I’d have been miffed if that was the other way round and our lad was given offside.

Yes great defensively display but big help from Man United and especially LVG with the set up along with Wayne overrated Rooney!!

• 81 nightfa11 // Aug 24, 2015 at 1:13 PM

i think for the cup game..mbemba and taylor should start in defence.. based on several last seasons…colo will disappear for a month or 2..so its best if those 2 get a first game together asap..

• 82 SPRINGY // Aug 24, 2015 at 1:15 PM

hopefully liverpool give a the arse a real hard game tonight and knacker them out and tighten a few hamstrings while there on!lol

• 83 Ian Toon // Aug 24, 2015 at 1:17 PM

Don’t forget the massively overrated Hernández. 2 DM’s and no Herrera blunted ManU as an attacking force.
    You can only play against what’s in front of you.

• 84 Our Toon // Aug 24, 2015 at 1:17 PM

Mag52

At the moment at palace what’s working from pardew is the goals they get from set pieces, Pulis did all that and the defensive organisation and pardew hasn’t changed anything something which even pardew has admitted to. Come back to this debate in March, when pardew will have changed things because he’s believed his own hype and he’ll be on one of those epic runs.

The man broke more unwanted records than any other manager in the history of top flight management at any club!! That’s how I’ll remember him

• 85 hibbit // Aug 24, 2015 at 1:18 PM

our toon rooney played were the manager put him ….rooney also got the ball in the net more then we did…….he played to LVG plan just be happy it did not work

• 86 SPRINGY // Aug 24, 2015 at 1:19 PM

night
    i said yesterday that mbemba should play with colo with haidara and janmaat just so they can gel coz my opinion colo will play ahead of any of the other centre halfs coz of his captaincy but changed it today in case we pick up injurys….but i get what you are sayin

• 87 BandB // Aug 24, 2015 at 1:22 PM

Pardew fancies himself as next England manager.
    Getting some sort of tune out of a club with heavy restrictions on him hadn’t harmed the CV’s of several previous England candidates.
    So he was prepared to take it, until last autumn, when he realised he was going to have to work a miracle to get anything creditable out of the squad he’d been left with. He said as much himself.
    If he’d stayed his England dream would probably have died. Now he is right up there.

• 88 Blaydon-Toon // Aug 24, 2015 at 1:23 PM

Our toon LVG made two major selection errors in my opinion Carrick ( best player on the park when he came on ) and Ashley Young would have caused us a lot more problems but hindsight is a wonderful thing

• 89 Our Toon // Aug 24, 2015 at 1:24 PM

Ian

Hernandez may well be overrated but in 10 or 15 mins he managed to do what no other man utd player could….get in behind and force a very good save from Krul

The point I was making is as good as we defended we will not face another team in the league that play this way. All other teams will look to get in behind

• 90 Our Toon // Aug 24, 2015 at 1:27 PM

Hibbit

Rooney isn’t a lone forward player, he keeps dropping deep leaving acres of space upfront which no one occupies. Something which was highlighted by all the pundits and no doubt will be highlight tonight by Neville

• 91 hibbit // Aug 24, 2015 at 1:28 PM

blaydon i think LVG total underestimated Mc and his team he set up for a much weaker team than the one that turned up and he payed the price

• 92 Mag52 // Aug 24, 2015 at 1:30 PM

Our Toon.

He averaged 11th. In the Premiership over four years, so there must have been some pretty good runs along with the poor ones, and of course you know that there were.

• 93 Noel Worst // Aug 24, 2015 at 1:32 PM

_______________Darlow______________
    Janmaat___Willo______Colo___Dummet
    __________Tiote______Kemen
    Obertan_________SDJ__________Aarons
    _______________Mitrovic

I’d play Lascelles over Willo, but we need to give all the clubs out there another reminder that he’s available.

Mitrovic is the only other possible change I’d make, but I don’t see Cisse working well with SDJ and it’ll be good for Mitrovic to get off the mark.

• 94 ronjohno // Aug 24, 2015 at 1:34 PM

Off topic – watching Pedro for Chelsea I thought if Toon had bought him (dream on) he would have been on the bench for 3 weeks.
    We pay £14 mill for winger and play Obertan instead.
    Mitrovic on bench for two games.

• 95 hibbit // Aug 24, 2015 at 1:35 PM

our toon total agree but rooney never sold the one player who could play that part Van Persie roonet can only do what the coach asks

• 96 Blaydon-Toon // Aug 24, 2015 at 1:35 PM

Hibbit having said that after 15/20 mins he must have thought a cricket score was on the cards … Schteeve Mac said something right as we tightened up and pressed a lot better forcing errors

• 97 Ian Toon // Aug 24, 2015 at 1:37 PM

If we become more of an attacking force as the season progresses we will. Macca is attempting to do the easier things first. It’s scoring goals that will ultimately win you games and fitness levels and general bedding in of new players.
    Your right for highlighting Rooney- you really don’t get much for £300/- a week. The elephant in the room at OT is LVG he’s unbelievably negative in team section and formation. They desperately need a ST but who cares.

• 98 JamesToon // Aug 24, 2015 at 1:42 PM

Lineup against norathampton:
    Darlow
    Janmaat/Taylor/Lascelles/Dummett
    Tiote/Kemen
    Obertan/De Jong/Aarons
    Cisse

Lineup against arsenal:
    Krul
    Mbemba/Taylor/Coloccini/Haidara
    Anita/Colback
    Thauvin/Wijnaldum/Perez
    Mitrovic

• 99 Jail for Ashley // Aug 24, 2015 at 1:53 PM

I wonder when snidey worm will be advising macca what to do with his little ginger tuft still clinging on to his forehead.

• 100 Jail for Ashley // Aug 24, 2015 at 1:55 PM

James Toon,
    I’d have Thauvin in place of Ooveran.

• 101 martoon // Aug 24, 2015 at 1:58 PM

JamesToon @98 – I’d go along with that selection – your cup team should be strong enough to beat Northampton – only thing is I’m not sure if Dummett is fit yet?

• 102 Our Toon // Aug 24, 2015 at 1:58 PM

Hibbit

Spit on Rooney didn’t get rid of RVP, LVG is pissing money away there.

• 103 Our Toon // Aug 24, 2015 at 1:59 PM

Hibbit

Spot on Rooney didn’t get rid of RVP, LVG is pissing money away there.

Oh dear my fat fingers ended up making quite a funny typo…..ahahaha don’t spit on Rooney

• 104 DaraghL // Aug 24, 2015 at 2:02 PM

Just had an idea of how to get rid of Ashley!

This site keeps advertising Russian Singles. We all buy one and then a Russian Billionaire will note the huge increase in Russians interested in Newcastle and see it as a huge opportunity to buy!

It’s genius really. I’m gonna buy a couple tonight to get the ball rolling. You can all thank me when we’re signing Messi.

• 105 martoon // Aug 24, 2015 at 2:03 PM

JamesToon – also I’m not sure if Taylor could manage 3 games in 7 days so might have to go for Willo in the cup game 🙁

• 106 Our Toon // Aug 24, 2015 at 2:04 PM

Mag52

He may well have averaged 11th but the guy who claimed he wasn’t given the right players has bought or tried to buy alot of former toon lads hasn’t he?

Either way I look at pardew and see him as his own worst enemy, remember he was so good that we plucked him from obscurity after he left Southampton.

1 player was sold and he couldn’t adjust at all, 1 season in the Europa League amd he couldn’t prepare teams anymore (as Jonas highlighted) these aren’t good traits for a good manager are they? Imagine of was Southampton manager now, he’d lose 4 key players in each season….how could he cope?

• 107 Hail Wor Ashley // Aug 24, 2015 at 2:06 PM

Ashley doesn’t need to go anywhere.

• 108 Our Toon // Aug 24, 2015 at 2:06 PM

I wouldn’t start Thauvin against Northampton, get him to come on for last 30 mins as we have a bigger game on saturday lunch time against Arsenal. Ideally I’d want him to start that game ahead of obertan

• 109 ronaldo aarons // Aug 24, 2015 at 2:07 PM

Every couple of days there is a discussion regarding pardew lol. I personally don’t care what he does now and not bothered if he does well or not. He’s gone and we’ve got better things to talk about. I get it all the time of my mates and my dad every time palace win a match, really annoys me lol. And just to make it worse I read about it on the blog!!

• 110 martoon // Aug 24, 2015 at 2:08 PM

DaraghL @104 – This site uses Google targeted adverts so I’m not quite sure what you have been searching for recently 😀

• 111 DaraghL // Aug 24, 2015 at 2:09 PM

Ha Martoon,

I’m in work so it’s the works server. I get golf ones when I’m at home…I swear!!!

Wait are you saying there’s not sexy singles in my area?

• 112 JamesToon // Aug 24, 2015 at 2:10 PM

Our toon

I agree, keep Thauvin fresh for arsenal, him, Pérez and Wij will cause them problems all over the shop hopefully

• 113 JamesToon // Aug 24, 2015 at 2:10 PM

Callum Roberts maybe start against Northampton instead of Obertan anyone?

• 114 JamesToon // Aug 24, 2015 at 2:12 PM

Roberts got potential imo, along with Sterry, Kemen, Armstrong and Aarons, all 5 need to be brought through at some point in the next one or two years

• 115 SanD // Aug 24, 2015 at 2:15 PM

I see a lot of people leaving mitrovic out of the starting 11 tomorrow. For me I would start him as he could potentially get a goal or two against a lower league team and go into the arsenal game full of confidence.

• 116 ronaldo aarons // Aug 24, 2015 at 2:17 PM

I think mcclaren is in a difficult position ATM, if he doesn’t pick his first 11 he is going to be seen as not taking the cups seriously and will get a fair bit of stick. I personally wouldn’t play our full team, mostly players that need a bit of fitness and sharpness a la de jong, aarons with the likes of lascelles and darlow. I wouldn’t mind the likes of kemen getting game time and toney.

• 117 ronaldo aarons // Aug 24, 2015 at 2:24 PM

Still feel were a few signings short of having a good squad. Need rb cover, specialist dm and a cb. It doesn’t look like we’re getting abdennour which isn’t surprising but if juventus really do want him we should talk with them and say we won’t offer Monaco and the player big money and put the price up if you let us have rugani for say 8-10m with a percentage of future sale profit and first option. He’s young but is a future Italian great at cb and we really could do with someone like him. Tall-ish, good in the air and reads the game very well. He was at empoli last year on loan and performed very well, played every min of the season and did not get booked once. Great potential.

• 118 DaraghL // Aug 24, 2015 at 2:24 PM

I would go with pretty much the full team unless anybody has a knock.

If we go 2-0 up we can then take the foot off the pedal and make a couple of changes. Playing the kids from the start could leave us in trouble should we go 1-0 down.

• 119 hibbit // Aug 24, 2015 at 2:25 PM

james toon……. sterry kemen and roberts should be out on loan getting game time they need to be playing and as far away from beardsley as possible he has got to be one of the worst coaches in the history of nufc

• 120 hibbit // Aug 24, 2015 at 2:33 PM

i think Mc will go for this he wont want egg on his face people will give him time in the prem but northampton will be seen as a must win or the mood will change very quickly

• 121 SUTTY1978 // Aug 24, 2015 at 2:38 PM

Hibbit, not sure its the youth coaches at fault 95% of academy kids dont make it because they are not good enough, you cant polish a turd. All these kids that everyone raves about and most end up in non-league football because that’s their level.
    I agree going out on loan is better but the fact is that most of these kids wouldn’t get into Gateshead’s team, Roberts certainly couldn’t.

• 122 cyprus // Aug 24, 2015 at 2:41 PM

Play Obertan, please.

I mean come on. He was ahead of HBA, now, surely he can’t be ahead of our most expensive player. Play Aarons, play anyone in real games. Put Socks there, Janmaat. Bring back that top talent, Sammy.

Play me.

• 123 SUTTY1978 // Aug 24, 2015 at 2:43 PM

McClaren said he’d play his strongest team and the back pedalled at 100 miles an hour and ended up saying he’d pick a team he thought could win. Looking foward to seeing Gouffy, Obertan, Willo etc.
    I would want a first team out, basically the same 18 that were in the squad against Man U but with the bench players starting and some of the starting players benched. The game should be used to develop our attacking play which is lacking at the moment.

• 124 Sliema // Aug 24, 2015 at 2:43 PM

Krul
    Janmaat – Mbemba – Taylor – Haidara
    Tiote – Gini
    Thauvin – De Jong – Aarons
    Mitrovic

Get the new lads in, they have it all to prove and they need minutes together to gel. Not every game is an experiment, some of them you just need to win, this one we NEED to win.

• 125 OneAlanShearer // Aug 24, 2015 at 2:48 PM

Slant

Swap mitrovic for cisse and you may be very close especially the back 5

• 126 Our Toon // Aug 24, 2015 at 3:00 PM

Can’t believe people are advocating playing our strongest team against Northampton at home. These lads are still building up fitness which means they will pick up injuries if overworked. Play as many of the youngsters as possible, ie kemen etc otherwise they’ll want away.

Also arsenal don’t have a game and will be fresh for the lunch time kick off, they will have worked on a game plan all week. We need to have our starting XI working on a game plan against Arsenal and the 2nd string working on a plan against Northampton.

Playing your best XI against a poor 4th tier league team is madness, all it takes is for a Mitrovic or anyone else to pull something and bye bye he’s gone for 2 months or more.

• 127 Ian Toon // Aug 24, 2015 at 3:01 PM

Our Toon @103 – RVP and Manu sale. The Premier League is physically demanding. Injuries took there toll of RVP. He was basically injured on and off for 6 years at Arsenal and then had a run of 18 months and moved to ManU. In SAF ‘s last season he was outstanding.
    Moyes had reservations of a 30 year old whom he thought injuries had taken there toll physically. It was Moyes that secured Rooney’s contract – ManU fans largely say that Ferguson would have let him go to Chelsea.
    As for RVP – like all PL sides they use OPTA and the numbers in the last third of the season confirmed LVG’ s view that stamina had become an issue and was impacting on his confidence. Pressing from front growingly beyond him. Rarely got behind the opposition, can’t hold the ball up, can’t dribble at defences, nor sprint through 6 yard box. Fans remember him for beautiful goals and claimed he could still bury a chance from anywhere within 25 yards but he struggles to make his own chances.

• 128 Lindisfarne // Aug 24, 2015 at 3:05 PM

ITCHY IS THE BOMB!!!

• 129 Lindisfarne // Aug 24, 2015 at 3:11 PM

Team for Northampton:

Itchy—-Cisse
    Aarons—SDJ—Perez
    Tiote
    Dummett—Lascelle—Taylor—Janmaat
    Krul

Subs:
    Darlow > Krul
    Collo > Taylor
    Bigi (mf) > Itchy

• 130 Jib // Aug 24, 2015 at 3:12 PM

You can’t polish a turd !
    not true

• 131 Hail Wor Ashley // Aug 24, 2015 at 3:13 PM

ASHLEY IN!

• 132 Ian Toon // Aug 24, 2015 at 3:14 PM

Our Toon- You could argue that we had the best chance to win the match. You’ll remember soon after Cisse’s arrival we broke after a Smalling header from a corner. We rapidly broke 3 on 1 in our favour and Cisse dragged the shot wide. Thauvin missed making contact by a stud( had the game been a week later he might well have scored)

• 133 beefman13 // Aug 24, 2015 at 3:14 PM

Steve Mcpardew, pack it in with the judge me after 12 games and the players arnt fully fit patter, you and your staff are employed to do a job, do it and stop making excuses lad.

• 134 Jail for Ashley // Aug 24, 2015 at 3:28 PM

SanD,
    Good shout on starting Mitrovich and why don’t people want Thauvin starting, he meeds match practice so where better to get than against lower league opposition.

• 135 hibbit // Aug 24, 2015 at 3:44 PM

sutty beardsley was one of my all time greats in a black & white shirt but that does not make him a good coach bad tempered unable to get his message across even to the young coaches should be no were near our players if he has to be at the club move him up stairs out the way of the way…… the kid need to play get them on loan if he cant get in the heed team he is not going to get into a prem team i think roberts is good enough but needs to be playing learning his trade and harding him up

• 136 ronaldo aarons // Aug 24, 2015 at 3:51 PM

Is Beardsley bad tempered as a coach? That would be news to me and surprise.

• 137 BandB // Aug 24, 2015 at 3:56 PM

If our players are 20 per cent off match fitness, a nice little run out with a confidence boosting win against lower league opposition and four days to recover sounds just what the doctor ordered.

• 138 nut meg // Aug 24, 2015 at 3:58 PM

They’ll be some heavy legs after the shift that most of the players put in on Saturday. I think SM will make quite a few changes to try and give the likes of Tiote,De Jong,AArons,Thauvin game time to sharpen them up a bit.

• 139 Mag52 // Aug 24, 2015 at 3:58 PM

Our Toon.

As for former toon lads he has tried to buy, do you mean Cabaye, generally reckoned to be one of the shrewdest buys in this window, or Colo, by a long way our man of the match against Manure and a class act , as SM has recognized by extending his contract.
    There have been a number of teams who struggled in the season that they had a run in the Europa Cup. The fact is that his squad was never deep enough to cope with the additional games.
    It’s true that Koeman coped well last season with the players sold from his first team, although he’s finding it more difficult this season so far, and, IMO, he’s a level up from Pardew as a manager.
    Incidently I’m with you regarding the match v Northampton. No way we should put out our strongest team, as long as those we put out are fully aware that this is a must win game.

• 140 Tsunki // Aug 24, 2015 at 3:59 PM

I imagine it will be a diminished side against Northampton, to the point of fitness turnouts for the newer ones and those returning to first team, but with a strong bench to assure a win if all doesn’t go well. it’s the sensible thing to do. it’s what Alan would have done.

• 141 Hail Wor Ashley // Aug 24, 2015 at 4:00 PM

Prostrate before Ashley.

• 142 SUTTY1978 // Aug 24, 2015 at 4:01 PM

It’s the same as trying to offload some of our senior duffers, you have to be able to find a club willing to take them. Roberts was dropped down to the Gateshead U21 squad when he was there and was subsequently recalled. The U21 league is an awful standard. I remember obertan playing a couple of games and got a hatrick in one, its that bad! We don’t exactly have teams queuing up to take these lads on loan
    The only players that will play at championship level or above in our whole youth set up are Aarons, Woodman, Armstrong and Lascelles. Bear in mind we couldn’t find a championship team willing to take Armstrong and he’s England u18 captain.

• 143 SPRINGY // Aug 24, 2015 at 4:02 PM

jail
    maybe coz thauvin only had a few training sessions with team and the perezs performance at the weekend also the fact of tryin to aarons in a game…can always bring thauvin on any of the front 4 to be honest so should get some game time….thats why i said start without thauvin tbh

• 144 hibbit // Aug 24, 2015 at 4:03 PM

arrons there was a big debate one morning last week about this……his bad tempered / frustration often spills over when he cannot get over what he wants things that he did without thinking don’t come easy to a lot of players he cannot put it into words what he wants and ends up having a strop……poor coach great player

• 145 Slank // Aug 24, 2015 at 4:10 PM

McClaren has to balance the desires of the fans and club to take the cup games seriously whilst at the same time give competitive game time to some of the bench warmers and new boys specifically Thauvin.

I expect a strong side. I would expect that some of those that played on Saturday and some of those that started on the bench will get the nod.

I would be very surprised if he selects anyone from the under 21 squad.

• 146 Tsunki // Aug 24, 2015 at 4:11 PM

Thauvin needs some pitch time but you do worry about throwing the lad into the mix with the potential of some hefty challenges with that lot. No offence.

• 147 ronaldo aarons // Aug 24, 2015 at 4:14 PM

Hibbit
    Interesting. Off topic but auto correct changed your name into hobbit lol, think I prefer that now.

• 148 BandB // Aug 24, 2015 at 4:14 PM

I can’t see any need or reason to play anyone from the under-21 squad either. There’s no evidence that a team with a large dose of our 21s would be good enough to beat Northampton.

• 149 the broons // Aug 24, 2015 at 4:15 PM

SUTTY1978

Was he really dropped down to the reserves? I know lads who played in the reserves for gateshead who are… lets put it this way plying their trade much lower now….

• 150 Tsunki // Aug 24, 2015 at 4:16 PM

Maybe if things don’t go well with Stevie Mac we could see if Alan would return as the messiah? Now that we know he’s really a fantastic manager taking Crystal Palace in to the champion s league spots and about to win all those cups, and that in hindsight all he needed was for Mike to spend some money, perhaps he’d return if we ask nicely? I’m sure he would.

• 151 hibbit // Aug 24, 2015 at 4:17 PM

arons it happens all the time no worry….. do you get to any under 21 games

• 152 Tsunki // Aug 24, 2015 at 4:18 PM

Nope there’s no point in playing Z-Team members, we’d lose.

• 153 the broons // Aug 24, 2015 at 4:19 PM

BandB

Well Toney was clearly one of their better players so i think him and maybe de jong just behind him should be enough to get by them.

• 154 ronaldo aarons // Aug 24, 2015 at 4:20 PM

Hibbit
    I don’t no, if I lived in newcastle I would but driving from boro is a bit of a hassle for an under 21 game. I take it you’ve been to a few?

• 155 hibbit // Aug 24, 2015 at 4:22 PM

Mc can’t afford to lose this game the mood would change very quickly people are giving him time in the prem but most think we should win this easy

• 156 ronaldo aarons // Aug 24, 2015 at 4:24 PM

Would like to see Perez and aarons play together for the game, seeing how they work together would be very interesting.

• 157 SUTTY1978 // Aug 24, 2015 at 4:25 PM

Broons, yes, basically he wasnt even good enough to get in their senior squad, so anyone calling for players like him to start in any NUFC senior game need to think again. Funny how one of the biggest bug bears with the club has been not taking cups seriously. Taking it seriously means taking every round seriously. We have slipped to lower league opposition enough times that everyone should be behind playing our strongest team for every cup game, you only get one chance. Strongest team should take into account fitness so if a couple of the players are still shagged from the last game then they can be left out but there should not be 8 or 9 changes made as was usually the case under Pardew and we all know how that panned out

• 158 BandB // Aug 24, 2015 at 4:26 PM

the brooms,

It isn’t so long since we got beat by York.
    If we take a lot of liberties with the selection, especially when first team squad members like those listed above could all do with a sharpener, getting beat again will take some explaining away. Especially if Ferguson and others linked with an exit start.

• 159 SUTTY1978 // Aug 24, 2015 at 4:27 PM

By the way, the one change i would certainly be behind is dropping Obertan but not because i think he should be saved for Arsenal!

• 160 hibbit // Aug 24, 2015 at 4:27 PM

last season got to a lot all the home games that were open they still play a few behind closed doors retired so time on my hands

• 161 Belfast // Aug 24, 2015 at 4:29 PM

Obertan out Aarons in. That’s the only change I’d make.

• 162 SUTTY1978 // Aug 24, 2015 at 4:31 PM

Toney wasnt one of their best players, he was one of their youngest players. Lets face it we only have him as Carr was doing a favour in giving some cash to his old club. Carr has waaaay too much power

• 163 Hail Wor Ashley // Aug 24, 2015 at 4:47 PM

Ashle’s plan is finally coming to fruition. Those impatient and imprudent toerags that wanted us to spend money before we had generated it are being served a jumbo slice of humble pie. The imprudent and impatient toerags aren’t successful like Mikey because of those very qualities, amongst others.

• 164 the broons // Aug 24, 2015 at 4:50 PM

Band B/ SUTTY1978

Yeah yous are totally right however a couple of youngsters I repeat a couple of YOUNGSTERS should inject pace and show some hunger which is what you need.

We do need a strong and experienced team but players like Aarons, lascelles and even Toney should be considered for a start in my opinion.

• 165 Sir Eric // Aug 24, 2015 at 5:06 PM

I would make around 4 changes. Not going full Pardew approach to the cups, but at the same time, you need to rotate players.

My gut feeling is Colocinni is going to play in this match.

I would play

Darlow

Janmaat, Lascelles, Colo, Dummet (if fit, if not Haidara)

thauvin, tiote, Colback (Sub off at around 70-75 for kemen, Aarons

De Jong

Mitrovic (Sub off at around 60)

Would have played Anita but I read he is being rested as he tweaked his back again at OT.

previous post: Poll – Can Magpies Advance In League Cup Against Northampton?

next post: McClaren Taking Northampton Tie Very Seriously – Audio