The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Mitrovic Has Already Learned A Big Lesson From Newcastle Coaches

2:45 pm, Tuesday, August 25th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 8 Comments

Aleksandar Mitrovic gave a good and disciplined display in his very first start at Old Trafford last Saturday, and his fantastic header after 23 minutes almost put Newcastle ahead after we had been on the defensive for the first 20 minutes or so.

That’s what you want from a top striker – where he can score a goal out of nothing and change the game – maybe he’ll get his first goal for the club against Arsenal on Saturday?

aleksandar Mitrovic in taining

Mitrovic in training this week

In his previous two appearances for Newcastle he was booked within the first 92 seconds each time – so we made a note on Saturday after 92 seconds that Aleksandar hadn’t (yet) been booked.

But in fact he didn’t pick up a booking at all, and it seems that the Newcastle coaches have  explained to him how he can be very physical in the games – but for the sake of the team he also has to stay calm and not make wild challenges.

The last thing we want is for him to be sent off and we are down to 10 men – and we saw at Swansea where that basically ends the game – at least against a good side like Swansea.

The 20 year-old has talked today on what he has learned:

“I spoke to the coaches and they told me you need to work but you need to think about every situation,” “They are right. I need to work hard for the team but I also need to stay calm. I learned a real lot from my first two games.”

“It was my first game for Newcastle from the beginning at Old Trafford and I felt good. It was a long time since I’d played a game from the beginning, but I really felt good. It was a good 80 minutes for me. By the end, I felt a little tired, but that’s OK.”

“When I spoke to the team before the game I was really excited, because it was my first game from the beginning and it was against Manchester United.” “It was a good feeling.” “I gave everything on Saturday and I expect I will soon start to score goals.”

“I didn’t have a lot of service but the balls I got were very good and I almost scored a goal. In the next games I hope I will have more service of the same quality.” “It was a difficult game for me because we played defensively so I did not get the ball so much.”

“But you can’t only play defensively, you need to play as a team and we did that well. “We had our chances and we deserved the good result we got.”  “A big point against a big club is always important, especially when you play good and like a team.”

“We were really good as a team and I think this point will help us a lot in the future.”“The next game is against Arsenal and this is also a big game, so it is good for confidence that we have got this point for the team and the players.”

Those are good words from the 20 year-old, who because he is still very young – can become a phenomenal striker for Newcastle –  and he showed on Saturday he can be dangerous.

He seems to be learning quickly, and it’s good he is listening to the coaches – who know what they are talking about.

Certainly the impact was noticeable on Saturday,  and Aleksandar played a good disciplined game for Newcastle and really helped the side in what – as he says – was a difficult game for us.

It was a difficult first game for Aleksandar too – but he did very well.

Tags: Aleksandar Mitrovic · Coaching · Newcastle News · Premier League

8 responses so far ↓

• 1 BrightonMag // Aug 25, 2015 at 2:46 PM

Remind me never to listen to my mates ever again…

Ashley out!

• 2 Nufc-83 // Aug 25, 2015 at 2:57 PM

Some people putting Perez in tonight even though after his performance on Saturday he should be one of the first names down against arsenal. He ran himself into the ground on Saturday and we need the same again so no way he plays tonight at any cost please Steve.

• 3 cyprus // Aug 25, 2015 at 3:03 PM

Agreed re Perez. He holds on to the ball better than any other player of ours and doesn’t panic. Much the opposite to Obertan.

Vs. Arsenal both he and Aaarons should play, because the only way to hurt them is to attack them. Otherwise, we’ll be embarrassed by them. They are a better side than ManU, quicker and more incisive. I expect to concede a minimum of 3 against them.

So, we need 4.

• 4 will die for the toon army // Aug 25, 2015 at 3:06 PM

we wait and c

• 5 WWSBRD // Aug 25, 2015 at 3:06 PM

Aarons wont be playing against Arsenal and if Sissoko is fit I would be surprised if Perez got the nod over him

Arsenal should be Thauvin and Sissoko if possible or Perez in place of Sissoko for me

• 6 cyprus // Aug 25, 2015 at 3:07 PM

It bothers me that we are so predictable to opponents: we camp in our half, hoping not to concede. We hardly see the ball,so when we get it it’s easy to lose it.

Look what we did in our first game vs. Southampton. We attacked, almost shocked them. Then, we settled for our regular draw, as we tired admittedly.

• 7 SPRINGY // Aug 25, 2015 at 3:09 PM

im one of those people whos put perez in the side tonight….but in reading some of the comments they bring up good points about him playin sat and it may effect his game.. so startin thauvin right mid is props a more sensible option to be fair….would still start with mitro to try and get him scoring soon as possible

• 8 beefman13 // Aug 25, 2015 at 3:17 PM

Mclaren, I do hope that our team is not set in stone, our central midfield ov colback n Anita looked like academy kids for a lot of that game on Saturday, worked hard they did, but no protection, for our much me criticised defense especially first 20 mins when man utd could have won the game easily, they are virtually shoe inns in the starting eleven, how I really don’t know, no fear factor at all and to safe with their pirouettes and sideway balls, they don’t attack the space in front of them, and hold play up far to much while they are wondering what to do with the ball. It needs seriously looking at imo.

previous post: Newcastle Legend To Knackered Players – Welcome To Premier League

next post: McClaren – We Will Play Our Strongest Possible Team