The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Legend To Knackered Players – Welcome To Premier League

2:04 pm, Tuesday, August 25th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 17 Comments

Tim Krul had said that a number of Newcastle players were knackered after the tough game at Old Trafford on Saturday, but former midfield star Rob Lee says the new players will need to get used to playing many games in England – that’s just the way it is –  and Rob also said if you want to win things you have to play a lot of games.

Rob Lee

Rob Lee when he played at Newcastle
He’s got the Shearer wave there

And Newcastle now want to win things in England and the only ones we have a chance of winning  are the two cups – the FA Cup and the League Cup (Capital One Cup) and we play Northampton tonight in the second round of the League Cup.

This is what Rob has said today on Kicca:

“So some Newcastle players are saying they are knackered after playing four games in just 17 days, well that’s just the way the Premier League is.”

“Games have always come thick and fast and if you want to win trophies – and that is definitely Newcastle’s aim – you have to compete in a lot of competitions.”

“I know that is the reason why some foreign players have struggled to adapt to the pace of life in the Premier League in the past, but it is part and parcel of British football.”

“I am sure the manager and his coaching staff will take into account the amount of games already played and the fixtures ahead and adapt the training to suit.”

“I was a player who always preferred playing to training and I believe that you can only really get match sharp by playing competitive games. Training may well get you fit but it’s no match for the real thing.”

The team we put out yesterday for the game tonight has as many as eight changes from the side that started on Saturday, but it still looks like an experienced side.

Janmaat Williamson (c) Lascelles Haidara
Tiote Anita
Obertan de Jong Aarons
Subs: Elliot Mbemba Coloccini Wijnaldum Colback Thauvin Mitrovic

Janmaat, Williamson, Haidara, Tiote, Anita, and Cisse are all experienced players at Newcastle, but eight changes may be too many for tonight?

But McClaren will need to give players like those a start, to at least keep them (or make them) match fit, when they will be needed in future games.

It’s a difficult decision in team selection for Steve McClaren  tonight, but he must get it right and we have to advance at home to Northampton Town.

What would your team be for tonight?

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Northampton?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Capital One Cup · League Cup · Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League · Tim Krul

17 responses so far ↓

• 1 pawl250 // Aug 25, 2015 at 2:05 PM

Normally would agree that I prefer Colback, but so far this season Anita has been the better player. More composed and his passing was accurate.

Besides Obertan, Colback was our worst player against Man Utd given silly balls away in his own half. It happened several times in the first half his pass back to one of the centre backs was simply not hard enough and Man Utd were away.

He works hard, but I would put Anita as a starting DM over any of our current players in the same position. He just seems to have taken to the way SM wants us to play. Against Southampton our team crumbled when he left the field.

Also game is tonight mate. Not tomorrow.

For me our team should be

Janmaat – Mbemba – Coloccini – Haidara
    Tiote – Colback
    Thauvin – De Jong – Aarons

1. I would swap Thauvin and Aarons several times througout the game to swap the coming inside to crossing the ball.

2. Tiote/De Jong need match fitness.

3. Our back 4 still need time to gel so need more game time together.

4. Aarons and Thauvin need to be pushing for places. Especially considering Sissoko has been out and is just coming back and Obertan is our worst starting player.

5. Dummett, Perez and Sissoko (if fit) coming on to get some match sharpness themselves. Dummett needs to start pushing Haidara

Should be enough to beat Northampton. I still feel we need a back up right back before I am content entering a full season. Janmaat is always liable to yellow/red cards. His fitness does not seem to be as much of a worry, which is not a bad thing.

• 2 WWSBRD // Aug 25, 2015 at 2:14 PM

Oh we’ve moved on
    Repost it is then

I agree Anita looks a lot better under McClaren than Pardew but I still dont think he is a good PL CM, hes not the major weakness in our squad and he will do a job this season but for me he isnt a long term player

Personally I think Colback has more to his game than Anita does, thats all am saying. Anita has done well so far but there are far better players out there…Personally if Tiote refinds some form and fitness he is in my team over Anita

Haha yeah Blackley collared me as well over the day confusion, hands held aloft I got lost in the days

• 3 WWSBRD // Aug 25, 2015 at 2:18 PM

I wouldnt play Colo tonight, squad do need to gel but at his age/fitness I think its time to start allowing him rest and the club should be in a position to offer him that now. Equally Id hold off on Saylor playing as well. Lascelles played a lot of Championship football for a good team so he should be able to cope with Northampton and Mbemba looks like a titan so far play him every game

• 4 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Aug 25, 2015 at 2:20 PM

In the past Anita , Tiote and Cabaye were an excellent trio the season before when they played at Old Trafford they totally bossed Man Utd midfield under Pardew and there was quite a few other games where they were great (Palace away , West Ham away etc)

If Tiote could come back to his best with Anita mopping up beside him and then Anita feeding Wijnaldum that would be a great trio as well

Not sure where Colback fits in he actually looks unfit to me at the moment I think it has to be Anita or Colback not both

If Sissoko wasn’t such a coward and stops putting in the effort during games he could be ideal to play next to Anita

Also I am not sure Tiote will ever come back to be good should have kept Abeid for when the inevitable injuries hit us !

• 5 pawl250 // Aug 25, 2015 at 2:24 PM

Tiote has not been the same after his second season with the club. From being dominant in the middle of the park and doing what Anita is currently doing, he prefers to charge around like a lunatic leaving gaps to exploit for the opposition.

He not only is injury prone, card prone and goes to AFCN every other year, but his basic play suffers now.

I cannot say why he changed so much, he used to do it simple, I mean earlier games of his NUFC career he had 100% pass completion. Now he slows the ball down allowing he opposition to get back and organised. He also enjoys inviting tackles in an attempt to brute them away with what strength he does have. He then spins around on the spot in hope he can get away. He does sometimes get away, but other times he loses the ball in our own half.

AND my pet hate about Tiote is since his Arsenal goal many moons ago he thinks he is Steven Gerrard and when he plays he very rarely gets through a match without having 1 30 yard attempt. Most of which are wasted near a corner flag or Row Z in the stadium.

He is simply past his best. Anita for me is our starting DM right now.

In the future I would like to see this, as in my opinion it is our best team.

Janmaat Mbemba Coloccini Haidara
    Wijnaldum Anita
    Sissoko De Jong Aarons*

Subs:- Darlow, Taylor, Dummett, Colback, Thauvin, Perez, Cisse

• 6 Tsunki // Aug 25, 2015 at 2:26 PM

Having thought about it, I haven’t changed my mind. There’ll be no experiments bar chucking on the bench lads and those coming back to game speed, but a reasonably strong bench in case plan a gets upended by the thuggish stamp of pit boots on our delicate players. Expect to win 1 or 2-0. Not entirely easily though and I doubt it will be easy on the eye.

• 7 Jamseyd24 // Aug 25, 2015 at 2:30 PM

Janmaat – Mbemba – Lascelles – Haidara
    Tiote – Keman
    Thauvin – De Jong – Aarons

I think we need to get a look at players like Keman and Lascelles and shouldnt effect the balance to much.

• 8 Bradley // Aug 25, 2015 at 2:31 PM

Janmaat mbemba colocini haidara
    Tiote colback
    Thauvin de Jong Aarons

I would like to see toney get his debut against his former club
    Perez coming on for Aarons
    Sissoko for de Jong just for a run out

3-0 win

• 9 pawl250 // Aug 25, 2015 at 2:32 PM

The team I listed should be strong enough

Janmaat – Mbemba – Coloccini – Haidara
    Tiote – Colback
    Thauvin – De Jong – Aarons

I do not think its experimenting as much as it is getting a couple of players who could arguably contend for first team places up to speed.

I.e. I do not think Obertan should start games in the PL, so someone tonight needs to be given a chance to prove they are a better option.

Likewise if we keep playing the same 11 especially against teams in the LC like Northampton we would only tire then, increase the chances of injury/ban and not allow players who could be in contention to start to get match fit.

I mean I have 7 players I would say start week in week out. The remaining 4 (Aarons, Thauvin, De Jong, Tiote) need time to push the players who are not playing and like I said gain much needed fitness. Especially De Jong and Tiote.

• 10 WWSBRD // Aug 25, 2015 at 2:34 PM

I would say Tiote dropped off when Cabaye left and he was told that he had to become the new Cabaye because we had no intention of replacing him, from that point Tiote had to try and change his game and he is still trying to get back to what he was

If McClaren can get him back to what he was then he displaces Anita every day of the week for me. As for his 1 shot a game I hate it too but a lot of that is the fans fault everytime he gets the ball he is ushered to shoot…I cant say I wouldnt do the same.

But I dont think he is past his best yet by next summer I may concede defeat in that but I will give him another season

On ur team I think having de Jong in there is a stretch at this point, barely played football in atleast a year and huge question marks over his ability to stay fit. I also think Thauvin may displace Sissoko and Perez may well find a home on the left with Aarons sticking as the young up and coming player if he stays

• 11 Malackay // Aug 25, 2015 at 2:35 PM

Janmaat Mbemba Lascelles Dummett
    Tiote Colback
    Thauvin SDJ Aarons

90 mins for Dummett, SDJ, Tiote, Aarons, Lascelles, and Darlow, and to get match sharp.
    Willo out ’cause he is garbage – sell ASAP
    Colo, Saylor rested ’cause they are old and crocked respectively.
    Mitrovic starts to get match sharpness but is replaced by Toney (or Cisse depending on the score) after 65 mins so he is fresh for Arsenal.
    Thauvin also swapped for Obertan after 65-70 mins so he is ready for Arsenal.

• 12 hibbit // Aug 25, 2015 at 2:40 PM

this is not your normal cup game this is the first since our lord and master open his mouth this is a game Mc will want to win no room for slip ups 97% think we will win ….. no pressure then……………. Mc needs win to keep the fans onside

• 13 Tsunki // Aug 25, 2015 at 2:40 PM

Yo – I’m not as anti – Cheick as many but even at his best I see him as a hit of a square pegs in Macs plans. He would have to stop the twirling and prevarication that trademarks his release of the ball. It usually goes to what most would consider a second or third choice pass. He’d have to up his anticipation. Playing in roughly that position for many of my later years you find that to be really effective as a ball winner you need to have the release pass planned as you go in for the tackle. Those who have that vision and planning are a devastating counter attack punch. Tiote strangely doesn’t have that.

• 14 Tsunki // Aug 25, 2015 at 2:42 PM

If I was a wagering sort I would put a carpet on Willo starting. Have to keep your subs up to match speed.

• 15 WWSBRD // Aug 25, 2015 at 2:49 PM

U might be right mate but I hope Tiote can find a way of fitting in the team at the expense of Anita

• 16 GEORDIE69 // Aug 25, 2015 at 2:49 PM

I would go back to 4-4-2 against Northampton with the following:

GK Darlow
    RB Janmatt
    LB Haidara or Dummet if available.
    CD Lascelles
    CD Taylor
    RW Thauvin
    CM Tiote
    CM Anita
    LW Aarons
    CF Mitrovic
    CF DeJong

SUB Krul
    SUB Perez
    SUB Toney
    SUB Kemen
    SUB Mbemba
    SUB Colocini
    SUB Colback or Haidara if Dummet is available.

• 17 davis_toons // Aug 25, 2015 at 2:54 PM

De Jong…glad to be able to watch him play.
    Match fit or not..not many will care since like Ben Arfa he comes with much expectation

..but unlike Ben Arfa, he have yet to prove anything.

previous post: Newcastle Side Not Set In Stone – McClaren