English Strikers Too Expensive So This Man Stays At Newcastle

It seems that Newcastle were not the only club interested in Wolves striker Benik Afobe who they signed from Arsenal for £2M last January, and it seems that Norwich City have already out in a £8M bid for the 22 year-old Englishman.

That’s more than he’s worth and we though that if Newcastle could get Benik in for around £5M that would have been a good by for the club – and we could even have then sold Papiss Cisse.

Benik Afobe Burton+Albion+v+Wolverhampton+zB-CchUKV9rl

Benik Afobe – £14M – Wolves had to be kidding

But news in the Mirror today that Wolves have slapped a £14M price tag on the 22 year-old – who has never played in the Premier League – what’s that about English players being far too expensive?

That’s a really ridiculous price for the 22 year-old – who looks a promising player but not for £14M – and if Newcastle desperately still need another striker, we could get Charlie Austin for that – and he’s a proven PL goalscorer.

But we don’t think striker is now a priority at Newcastle  – and we have Aleksandar Mitrovic, Papiss Cisse, Ayoze Perez and Emmanuel Riviere as out-and-out strikers.

We also have Gini Wijnaldum, Siem de Jong, Florian Thauvin and Rolando Aarons, among others, who are more than capable of scoring goals from midfield.

So we seem to be OK in that particular position – as long as we now keep Papiss Cisse for the season.

And even if Mitrovic starts the games this season, Papiss last season showed us how good he is at coming off the bench and scoring goals, and though he started very few games – he still scored 11 goals in just 22 appearances.

Papiss Cisse should stay at Newcastle and then  we should be OK up front – and the only position we still really need to strengthen is center-back – although we are also short of good full-backs.

What do you think?

• will die for the toon army

Aug 26, 2015 at 4:28 PM

That is stupid. Wijanldum cost 14.5m

• SPRINGY

Aug 26, 2015 at 4:29 PM

a young rb back up for janmaat and deep lying midfielder if no one leaves

• SPRINGY

Aug 26, 2015 at 4:30 PM

greed….coz someone will pay it even if he fails

• will die for the toon army

Aug 26, 2015 at 4:31 PM

My crazy team for the game at Arsenal:
    ………………………Krul
    Janmaat……Taylor…….Colo……..Haidara
    ……………….Sissoko……Mbemba
    Thauvin………..Wijanldum. …………..Perez
    ……………………….Mitrovic

• OneAlanShearer

Aug 26, 2015 at 4:32 PM

If mitrovic gets injured we are left with an impact player in cisse. Perez is better playing off a main striker. Riviere is not even in same fantasy football team as a striker…Couldn’t score in a thousand hours of football.

So its not just a calculated risk it’s a calculated mistake.

The same goes for a centre back. Mbemba gets injured and we don’t have any pace or positional sense at centre back.. Saylor and Colo are upping their games because their position is under threat…without him it’s not.

Over to you Lee charnley. If it was me I’d close one of those gaps/risks in this window.

In the next window I’d get two full backs to increase the competition for places and the quality at the same time, a youngster at Rb and at lb. Then close the cb or striker gap you didn’t close in this window. 1 risk is one thing 2 is careless. The quality of opposition in the league is the highest and is far higher in my humble opinion than last season.

• Reyantoon

Aug 26, 2015 at 4:33 PM

The “Mirror” has been spot on so far.So unless the source is from ‘Mirror’,i won’t believe u Ed 🙂

• SPRINGY

Aug 26, 2015 at 4:33 PM

were you the one saying mbemba has played a def/mid for his country will die?

• GeordieGadie

Aug 26, 2015 at 4:34 PM

can’t blame wolves, everyone is trying to make a buck in this trade and they’re no exception.
    Trouble is that there are those who are ready to pay, and those make football a ridiculous game.

It starts by someone in Spain paying one hundred million pounds for a footballer, and then he gets that back from the TV who increase prices on live football and fans then resort to clubs who increase ticket prices and the only losers in the end are poor fans.

Our nation which was once proud of being the nation that created football now has foreign owners who bring in foreign coaches/managers to employ foreign players to play for them.
    I thought it was just that but then it does NOT.
    There are foreign assistants and foreign physios, I wonder why they don’t bring in foreign fans too? at least they can pronounce players names!

Neymar who has two feet only, two hands and one head can only go for £182m.
    That’s one hundred and eighty two millions.
    Which is 364,000 weeks of income (a reasonable £500 pounds/week income in the uk) which is: 7000 years of continuous work.

so you work for 7000 years .. he does it in one go.
    This money is all there is in a whole town in England, and may well be a whole city in another country.

Actually Neymar’s service is more than the national economy of many countries in this world.

This is all getting absurd and should stop before the game gets out of hand.

I used to worship our England team at one time, 1980’s I actually fell into a coma when we lost to Argentina in France 90.

The way things have gone I actually now don’t bother watching England, you get millionaires playing for no good cause, fcuk England for all they care, and I say fcuk them too, I stopped supporting my country.

• will die for the toon army

Aug 26, 2015 at 4:38 PM

Chronicle says Goufrann played well and WhatCulture says he didnt. Now who shld we trust?

• lukes26

Aug 26, 2015 at 4:39 PM

………………………Krul
    Mbemba……Taylor…….Colo……..Haidara
    ……………….Wijanldum……Colback
    Janmaat………..Sissoko. …………..Thauvin
    ……………………….Mitrovic

I have no idea why Janmaat isnt used as a winger.

He’s a Valencia-type for me. His passing is really good and can run all day. Prefer him used as winger above sissoko.

• will die for the toon army

Aug 26, 2015 at 4:42 PM

spingy
    Just put him there he is the only one I know can win balls in the team. Colback and Anita can’t.

• OneAlanShearer

Aug 26, 2015 at 4:45 PM

On austin – I’ve said little about him. On his alleged injury risk…All payers have that his is just slightly higher. On his worth – 15 is high..offer 12 on the last day. On him as an asset to the team. He has the battling qualities I can see him and mitrovic playing the 2 of a 352 or 442 well with supply from thauvin and sissoko. I can only see positives from him signing …but in truth I suspect thauvin was our last signing in this window. I hope we keep up the battling defence but thauvin and Wijnaldum and mitrovic must start against arsenal.

• SPRINGY

Aug 26, 2015 at 4:45 PM

ok will die im sure someone commented that he played that position for country…..need someone like that in that position but i’d rather have him as centre half or we’ll still be weak there

• SPRINGY

Aug 26, 2015 at 4:48 PM

against arse
    we need players who can pass andkeep the ball and are comfortable recieving the ball with players at there back gini showed he could do that on sat which was good to see

• RolandoOverhead

Aug 26, 2015 at 4:54 PM

Use Kemen as bait for a cut price deal to bring in Abdennour. Play him and Colo/Taylor with Mbemba as dm beside Gini and delete Jong. Sell trash and buy Dunk and Willems in Jan.

• toon kk

Aug 26, 2015 at 4:57 PM

I think our transfer business is well and truly over, maybe a sale if the right money was offered for Sissoko or Cisse (which would be a big mistake) to recruit some money.
    Our defence has shown it can be fairly strong if everyone pulls there weight. Trouble is quality pacey sides will rip us apart.

• lochinvar

Aug 26, 2015 at 4:58 PM

Sky reports Norwich’s bid for Afobe as £10m .
    The crazies are in town thanks to Sky TV and USA TV money for a Premier League.

• Thump

Aug 26, 2015 at 5:26 PM

@Springy: Left back as to be top priority. Haidara isn’t good enough to be a regular starter, and Dummet is the same.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Aug 26, 2015 at 5:28 PM

JIB
    You say, “comparing his transfer to Tow vans is a bit silly , Duff was 27 …”

I’m not comparing for the reasons you state. My comparison was simply this. Duff arrived for £5m and looked like an absolute bargain after his performance in that game. (He should’ve been in his prime at that age anyway.) He never replicated that display. What I’m saying is that you can’t read too much, if anything, into one performance and especially not against lower league teams. With only one foot, the oppo will work him out pretty quickly I fear. Ozil is limited for the same reason.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Aug 26, 2015 at 5:31 PM

We should not be selling Sissoko unless we can get someone better in. The addition of these better players may bring more out of Sissoko.

• Toontaff

Aug 26, 2015 at 5:35 PM

Is it just me or anyone else thinks why oh why is Roland arrons not one of the first names on the team sheet and why have we not offered him a proper contract

• catchy in norway

Aug 26, 2015 at 5:38 PM

I’m quite happy with who we have brought In , I would wait until jan to bring in back up for the front players ,

I would like another CB though, Williamson isn’t good enough cover

• toon kk

Aug 26, 2015 at 5:41 PM

Newcastle’ s downfall has been poor budget recruiting over the last few years. MA had his pathetic flawed resale regime in place, expecting he could turn flops into world class players.
    Its taken a relegation scare to make him realise his mistakes. Unfortunately we’re stuck with so many flops which will take several years to correct. Providing big offers coming in doesn’t restart the regime in a couple of years.

• hibbit

Aug 26, 2015 at 5:44 PM

catchy ….taylor is also big risk with his injury record + we need cover for our fullbacks not make do’s

• Munster Mag

Aug 26, 2015 at 5:45 PM

I’d like Gunter Benz , playing for mainz. 6ft 9 inches tall, powerful and fast. Aged 22 and currently a leader in his team. 5m max wud get him.

• hibbit

Aug 26, 2015 at 5:46 PM

toonstaff he was poor last night think he is still come back to full fitness

• Munster Mag

Aug 26, 2015 at 5:46 PM

Sorry, I just thought I’d chuck that one in. I don’t play Football Mgr and haven’t a clue of some of the players u guys refer to , so I made one up. He sounds good though!

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 26, 2015 at 5:51 PM

I think Blackas is providing some very reasonable debate this evening, mmm

• lesh

Aug 26, 2015 at 6:03 PM

Wdftta

And Stones likely to cost Chelski £40m – £40m for a full back!

The market’s crazy but, that’s what happens when the money coming to Prem clubs becomes daft.

• dok - the horrid colonial

Aug 26, 2015 at 6:07 PM

blacklie @ 20 has it right… too many times weve let players go, without a thought of replacing them… and true, better players surrounding him may indeed stop him from whining about other pastures…

• will die for the toon army

Aug 26, 2015 at 6:07 PM

August 26 , 2015
    ………………………Krul
    Mbemba……Taylor……. Colo ……. . Haidara
    ………………. Wijanldum …… Colback
    Janmaat ……… . .Sissoko . …………. . Thauvin
    ………………………. Mitrovic
    I have no idea why Janmaat isnt used as a winger .
    He’s a Valencia- type for me . His passing is really good and can run all day. Prefer him used as
    winger above sissoko.
    lukes 26

That is impressive look I hadn’t looked at it that way.

• dok - the horrid colonial

Aug 26, 2015 at 6:08 PM

munster,

benz is out this season, due to a ruptured fahrfagnugen tendon… 🙂

• will die for the toon army

Aug 26, 2015 at 6:11 PM

Luke

I think I push Sissoko to the back and Wijnaldum to the front.
    ………………….Krul
    Mbrmba……Taylor…….Colo……..Haidara
    ……………..Sissoko………..Colback
    Janmaat………….Wijnaldum. ……….Thauvin
    …………………………..Mitrovic

• Blackley and Brownlie

Aug 26, 2015 at 6:14 PM

Toottaff
    You could see last night why Aarons isn’t starting. So far he’s done nothing in the game. He’s got loads to prove. He might be extremely talented. He might be just suffering through being out for so long and will eventually get into his stride. But he might end up like Vuckic and the rest of them if he’s not careful. The club have to tie him down if they reckon he’s got more than he’s shown and can deliver. Makro and Costco are best placed.

• Dagga

Aug 26, 2015 at 6:17 PM

As Cisse is the only proven goal scorer we have atm I would keep him till January. If Mitrovic beds in well and we add goals from other areas as well then we can sell him, besides someone is more likely to pay daft money in January if they need a goalscorer to get them out of the s**t.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 26, 2015 at 6:23 PM

All this talk about selling someone is bollocks, imo unless it’s Gouffran, Obertan or Marveaux and Willo or Taylor but only if we buy a quality commanding CB, then we need all hands on deck.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 26, 2015 at 6:25 PM

Tbh, I’d quite happily see the three I listed above leave without replacement, although can’t fault Gouffran for trying, most of the time.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Aug 26, 2015 at 6:26 PM

To be honest I don’t think Cisse is going to work very well within McClaren’s system!

I had him down as our top goal score this season (maybe 10-11 goals) but that was before I really saw us play!

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 26, 2015 at 6:27 PM

Who does anyone else think could be sold without being replaced ?

• cyprus

Aug 26, 2015 at 6:32 PM

Jan as a winger?! Because he can’t defend very well or because he can cross the ball? Despite his relevant slowness, he’s still probably our best LB. Still, he isn’t the finished article or captain material, as was thought here. He needs to improve, as we’re often exposed on that side.

Talking of ‘exposed’ that Enrique was rarely that, on the other side. Is he still persona non grata over there?