The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle 4 Northampton 1 – Sky Video Highlights

8:31 am, Wednesday, August 26th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 14 Comments

Here are the video highlights of last night’s win against Northampton and look at all the great crosses put in by Florian Thauvin.

Tags: Capital One Cup · League Cup · Match Reports · Newcastle News · Video

14 responses so far ↓

• 1 Laurent Robert 32 // Aug 26, 2015 at 8:35 AM

Lilo, and that is why sport psychology fascinates me a lot. A skill that can be performed correctly most of the time for a player, may have a different outcome just because of an increased anxiety about a team they are playing or a situation they are in on the pitch. I.e. Their confidence is being dictated by their state of mind.

That is massive for me, and it is exactly why I believe players’ state of minds can affect them playing against certain teams, or players, but the skill required has not changed.

Retaining the ball against Man Utd is a prime example of this. However, if they were instilled with belief and determination, they could perform the same skill, say, passing a ball ten or fifteen passes with increased success if they simply changed their state of mind. That is done through a mix of style of coaching and also specific communication and reinforcement from the coaching staff.

The potential for team improvement from this strategy alone is simply huge.

• 2 hibbit // Aug 26, 2015 at 8:38 AM

i still have my doubts about the back 4 people are talking about depth and fitting players in well we don’t have that luxury across the back better teams will find us out very quickly

• 3 the broons // Aug 26, 2015 at 8:44 AM

I hope you don’t think for one minute that I believe our troubles are now gone just because we’ve had an improvement on the shambles of swansea.

I am still very much aware of what is still needed, a top class centre half! and Monaco out of champions league so could possibly open the door for us to make a move.

• 4 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 26, 2015 at 8:47 AM

I’ll admit that Perez would start ahead of Sissoko for me, every time. I just don’t think Sissoko is all that. If he left and we used the money for a centre half and and a player like Byram who can play right back and right wing then I would be more than happy. I know others like him though, and I am trying to give him another chance, so if he plays on the right wing fine, not ideal in my opinion, but I get it.

In centre mid he would be behind pretty much everyone for me – Cabella WON more tackles than Sissoko attempted last season according to Opta. That is embarrassing. His pass completion is always amongst our sides lowest. Doesn’t score or create enough for a number 10. On the right wing he can get past the full back and cross the ball, the passing aspect is less important. It is there or nowhere for me.

Yeah, the psychology of a player is crucial. It can make or break players. Coaching does play a part – and I think Steve Black was brought in for exactly this – but it also depends a lot upon the player. It will be interesting to see if Steve Black can bring certain players on mentally over the season, there are a few who if he can resolve mental issues could become much improved players.

• 5 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 26, 2015 at 8:49 AM

Monaco and Celtic both knocked out, Adbennour and Van Dijk potentially more viable. Not that I am overly keen on either, but they seem to be the 2 that have received a lot of press speculation linking them with us.

• 6 aidytoon9 // Aug 26, 2015 at 8:51 AM

Tiote still off the pace and would sell.
    Gouffran did ok last night but would sell.
    Mitro just needs a goal.

• 7 Laurent Robert 32 // Aug 26, 2015 at 8:51 AM

Lilo, yes, Black is one person that I really hope can make an impression on the players. I’m very pleased we have him on board.

• 8 aidytoon9 // Aug 26, 2015 at 8:57 AM

Yes would drop colback and play Gini deeper with Perez or de Jong when fitter.

• 9 aidytoon9 // Aug 26, 2015 at 8:58 AM

Northampton left back last seen throwing his boots in the Tyne.

• 10 sparky55 // Aug 26, 2015 at 8:59 AM

You do have to ask yourself why Sissoko is being played out on the wing for us when he’s spent all his life in France playing just in front of the back four and has played there for France at all levels.

It was our dimwit ex manager who decided to put him out on the wing and one good game against chelsea he’s a winger all of a sudden.

I honestly think if he stays (and still not sure he will) he should be played instead of Colback alongside Anita. He’ll give us the height and strength and presence we currently lack and just tell him to play it short and simple and now again go on a charge so long as someone drops in or across til he gets back.

• 11 hibbit // Aug 26, 2015 at 9:06 AM

the broons / charlie …people like yourself and charlie who go to the games try to give a fair account of the game and the team what i find odd is there were no streams so very few on here were able to see the game and yet people are talking as if we are world beaters loved last nights game always nice to see us win but the opposition were poor and the underlying problems are still there for all to see

• 12 Rotonda heights // Aug 26, 2015 at 9:10 AM

abdennour going to valencia and van dijk to soto it would seem and Dunk just signed a new 5 year deal. Kongolo, Matip, Veltman and Denayer all possibly still available though.

From Saturday only changes I’d make are sissoko for colback and thauvin for obertan.

Keep Janmatt and Colback on the bench for now along with Darlow, Aarons, De Jong, Cisse, Lascelles.

• 13 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 26, 2015 at 9:12 AM

HE can’t tackle though. He lacks presence, he might be big, but he is terrified when up against a combative opponent. He goes into hiding just at the thought of Cattermole and the mere mention of Sebastian Larrsson. He doesn’t challenge aerially, so his height is wasted.

It is most likely all psychological with him, as he has the physique to dominate a midfield, he just doesn’t do it. He is probably the one with most to gain from working with Steve Black.

He mainly plays on the right for France now as well.

• 14 aidytoon9 // Aug 26, 2015 at 9:56 AM

We still need a cb and another striker if Cisse is sold.

previous post: McClaren – Thauvin Has Been Terrific In Training