The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Star – It’s Been Difficult – I Need The Games

9:06 am, Thursday, August 27th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 8 Comments

Siem de Jong is one of the class players Newcastle have signed over the last year, but last season was a nightmare for the Dutchman,  in terms of injuries and he played only 5 times for the first team.

But he is now fit again and played the full 90 minutes against Northampton Town on Tuesday night,  and scored the second goal – set up by new boy Florian Thauvin –  to show he’s lost none of his class.

Siem De Jong Northampton+fc09iJdaEfrl

Siem de Jong

Siem is not just a good player, but he is a leader both on and off the pitch, and we could have done with those qualities last season at the club.

Siem is keen to stay fit and not surprisingly wants to get more games for the club, and he has given a good interview today in the Shields Gazette:

“The year before with Ajax I had a few injuries, but last year I only played three or four games.” “Before that I played 50 games a season.”

“So it was a really strange year.” “You have to move on mentally, but especially after the second one, I had just got back and felt really strong, and then it happened again.”

“I was pretty down for the first couple of weeks but I had to get back and fit again.” “I thought after a while it would be for the next season so I was glad to be fit in pre-season and fit now.”

“I feel like a new signing a little bit.”  “Maybe not in the group – that’s why I stayed here last year when I was injured, because I wanted to get to know the team and the club.”

“Most of the year when I was injured I was here, but of course on the pitch I have not played at St James’s Park a lot yet,  so I hope to get some more games.”

“First of all, the injuries were disappointing for myself, then for the club, my team-mates and the people watching.”

“It is a new club and you hope to start off well.” “I think I started well in pre-season but then it ended almost straight after pre-season last year.”

“It was difficult but I couldn’t really help.” “Most of all I was disappointed for myself.” “It has been a while since I have played 90 minutes so it was good for me against Northampton.”

“I need the games.” “I want to get in as many games as possible to try and get my rhythm back again, and Northampton was a good start.”

The key for Siem this season is to keep fit, and in fact the key for the club is to keep our players fit after we were just ravaged by injuries last season.

Siem is very experienced and was captain at Ajax, so it’s unusual for him to be on the bench at the moment – but it does show the level of competition for places at Newcastle.

The 26 year-old Dutchman will be pushing to start at Newcastle in the next few weeks, so that has to be positive for the Newcastle team.

Siem can still do an excellent job for us this season – there’s no doubt about that.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Arsenal?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Injuries · Newcastle News · Premier League · Siem de Jong

8 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jib // Aug 27, 2015 at 9:12 AM

He’s 26 the same age Shearer was when he came to the Toon

• 2 giimps // Aug 27, 2015 at 9:37 AM

Siem, Gini and Anita in the midfield, Perez mitrovic and thauvin up front janmaat collo mbemba and dummet…. As well as Haidara has done going forward, vs the Arse I would put dummet in as he’s a better defender, allows the intelligence and energy from midfield to push further up the pitch to support and join in the attacks.
    Bring on socks and Aaron’s if we need a few more goals when siem and florian inevitably tire and possibly Tiote or colback to protect our 3 or 4 goal advantage ………then I woke up and had my cornflakes ?

• 3 Sav // Aug 27, 2015 at 9:42 AM

Game time needs to be earned once the season is underway. I expect to see de Jong back on the bench against Arsenal. For me, he is behind Perez in the queue. More to the point, will Sissoko start at the weekend?

• 4 The overrated Frenchman // Aug 27, 2015 at 9:47 AM

This guy is class. A future captain. He just hasn’t had a good run at it since he’s been here. You could see in the pre-season games he was playing the mentor role for younger guys like Colback and Lascelles. If he can stay fit, by the end of the season he is likely to be one if our most important players.

• 5 Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund // Aug 27, 2015 at 9:57 AM

I’m amazed so many have us down for a win vs Arsenal. We all know how easily fast passing teams tear through us like a hot knife through butter. We saw it at Swansea just 2 weeks ago.

I’d be happy with another point and hopefully some more solidity at the back but I won’t be holding my breath. Teams that play along the deck and pass and move always make us look like amateurs.

Would love to be proven wrong and for us to grab a win or draw but just cannot see it happening, and don’t know how anyone else can either.

• 6 BandB // Aug 27, 2015 at 9:57 AM

I noticed you doing a little war whoop against people who didn’t want to sign Thauvin.
    I very distinctly remember you arguing that with Mac in charge we didn’t need to sign anyone.

• 7 Slank // Aug 27, 2015 at 9:59 AM

I feel sorry for De Jong as circumstances have dealt him a bum hand.

In his prolonged absence Perez has deservedly put himself in the first team frame.

Possibly because of doubts about De Jong’s future fitness it possibly contributed to the determination by the club to buy Gini who deservedly now anchors central midfield.

It’s a difficult situation for De Jong and a headache for McClaren but for us fans it is reassuring to know we have two very gifted players to occupy almost the same spot, but alas not together !

• 8 RolandoOverhead // Aug 27, 2015 at 10:19 AM

De Jong has summed up his own situation perfectly “I need the games,” that’s exactly the kind of player he is. He knows what he needs to do and playing 10-15 min at the end of a match as an impact sub, just isn’t enough. At his best he is on par with Gini on top form, if we want to see him play like that for us and get the real benefits he will give us … he has to start matches.

previous post: It’s Still A Dream For Me To Be Playing For Newcastle