It Feels Like A New Era For Newcastle United

Steven Taylor has a good chance of keeping his place tomorrow when we entertain Arsenal, and we will try to beat the Gunners for the first time in five years.

That last time we did that was in early November of 2010, when an Andy Carroll headed goal did it for us, and Chris Hughton was still the manager.

Steven Taylor Manchester+United+v+Newcastle+qMsnEN2M_dBl

Steven Taylor in action last Saturday at Old Trafford

Steven Taylor has finally recovered from his Achilles injury that kept him out last season from January 1st, and as usual he is upbeat, as he spoke to the Shields Gazette today:

“It is a new era for us – mind, we have had a few of them!” “The new signings have been like a breath of fresh air.”

“It is exciting times and Newcastle fans will have gone back home very happy last weekend.” “We are only three league games in but I think you can see the improvement in the side.”

“You compare it to last year, then 100% and we are getting more confident game by game.”

“There is a new training regime and the lads will take the confidence from the Manchester  performance into the next game against Arsenal.”

“We all know in the Premier League there isn’t one easy game.”  “But for us, we just have to keep doing what we did at Old Trafford and believe we can win it.”

“It was a whole new game plan, going to Man United and taking the game to them,”   “If you go there and sit back, then you get battered.”

“Players will hurt you but our boys stuck to the game plan and looked very good defensively” “Tim Krul, when he was called upon, made the saves we needed him too.”

“We defended from the front and that is a massive help.” “The gaffer will pick the side but you don’t know until the last minute.”

“The main thing is to train well and hope you get the nod.” “You love to test yourself and you want to be on that stage, there is nothing better than that.”

It feels like the start of a new era at the club with the impressive Steve McClaren and the new coaching staff coming in, and Mike Ashley spending big money for a change, in what seems one of our best transfer windows ever.

Steven could still find himself on the bench tomorrow if Daryl Janmaat is brought back in at right-back, and Chancel Mbemba moves back to partner Colo in central defense.

It will be interesting to see what back four Steve McClaren will put out tomorrow.

This is the side we think Steve will start tomorrow – with Thauvin and Sissoko starting.

Krul
Mbemba Taylor Coloccini (c) Haidara
Anita Colback
Sissoko Wijnaldum Thauvin
Mitrovic
Subs: Darlow Janmaat Tiote Aarons de Jong Perez Cisse

What would your team be?

• Jib

Aug 28, 2015 at 11:20 AM

I’ve just had a look at no.6
    You got me thinking there Slank
    Draw with Soton the players all turning up smart with mbemba in a dj.
    Mckenzie Heaney talking about U17 call up
    ring any bells ?

• Rotonda heights

Aug 28, 2015 at 11:25 AM

after manu i never thought i’d say it but i think saylor is undropable, at least for the moment.

One player who should be undropable is Perez.

Only changes I would do are thauvin for obertan and sissoko for colback

• Slank

Aug 28, 2015 at 11:27 AM

jib

The bell says that was episode 5 !

I have a feeling, using arithmetic and logic, that the episode we expect or has now been released is 6 !

• Take a Chancel on me

Aug 28, 2015 at 11:32 AM

Slank just been on Nufc.co.uk and Jib is right they posted episode 6 on their website last week and episode 7 this tuesday

• Slank

Aug 28, 2015 at 11:34 AM

jib & Take a Chancel

Got there eventually, cheers.

Should expect episode 6 appearing on You Tube any moment !

• Jib

Aug 28, 2015 at 11:43 AM

Rotonda
    From the way SM talks about Perez , he rates him very highly – it’s a shame he calls him Eye Oz like 🙂

• Krul To Be Kind

Aug 28, 2015 at 11:56 AM

I find it a shame that folk here don’t really have the love for our wee ginger Pirlo!

Colback breaks up play, harries and hassles doing the thankless task of a DM and gets hated on.

I think he’s a good player but unfortunately we don’t see players running in front of him for him to lay it off to when he wins it, but I think that will come in time when the coaching clicks more. Admittedley he doesn’t have the ability to ping a pass but he does do the tidying up job very well.

Yes there are better players out there, but you can’t ask for anymore from a solid professional if anything.

• OneAlanShearer

Aug 28, 2015 at 12:11 PM

I personally think our biggest weakness is in the 2 in front of defence now. Colback, anita and tiote alongside a deep lying playmaker who can break up play is what is required. Protect the back four. Against arsenal it has to be colback and tiote to break up play and stop them sitting in front of our defence and picking us off. We need to press them constantly as well.

• OneAlanShearer

Aug 28, 2015 at 12:14 PM

Krul – agreed colback is a solid professional. Our current best option but he so needs a better player alongside him not someone trying to be at his level. Tiote simply has to improve and I fear anita is at his peak..steady but not quite solid.

• Ian Toon

Aug 28, 2015 at 12:18 PM

Krul – I rate Colback highly. He’s a very good athlete and professional who gives 100% and balance to the side. He’s the sort of player who’s missed when not playing he was 3rd in the blogs player of last season. I would be very surprised if he doesn’t start tomorrow because Macca rates him and is working to tweak his role.
    We have a number of parochial fans who will never forgive him for going through the mackem academy. He supported the toon as a kid and had agreed to join NUFC in the January before his contract ran out.

• corkypants

Aug 28, 2015 at 12:23 PM

OneAlanShearer

Anita has been superb this season and towards the end of last, he is pivotal to the wey we play under stevie.

Also tiote hasnt performed well at all this season besides anite has a very high work rate and reads the game better than a out of form tiote

If tiote was at his best then it mite be a different story because he is a beast when he’s at his best

• Ian Toon

Aug 28, 2015 at 12:25 PM

Can Tiote get fit? Sissoko or Anita? One of the first names on the team sheet is Jack who does a lot of work that the less enlightened don’t see. Anita has the style but not always the substance. Just watch Matic to appreciate the required physicality in the premiership.

• Rotonda heights

Aug 28, 2015 at 12:25 PM

i don’t hate on colback and i think he is a great player to bring on to try and shore up things but don’t know if he should be an automatic starter if we harbour genuine intentions of progressing.

Anita can keep the play moving especially if he had a strong DM next to him, as tiote was 3/4 years back now. I think it should be anita ahead of colback but not both.

• Ian Toon

Aug 28, 2015 at 12:27 PM

Krul to be kind- Good talking point.

• Ibizatoon

Aug 28, 2015 at 12:31 PM

I quite like Colback. No nonsense, no thrills, generally a genuine hard working player.

Don’t care that he was at Sunderland or that he came here on a free.

If a straight choice between him or Anita?

Personally I’d go for Anita. Colbacks shortcomings shall we say go less noticed than Anita’s, but for me, that’s usually more to do with the team setup / coaching.

• Take a Chancel on me

Aug 28, 2015 at 12:43 PM

Jeez Scumderland have signed Ola Toivonen on loan

• Average_Contents

Aug 28, 2015 at 12:49 PM

Excellent article and sums things up nicely. He’s still a horrible twat in my eyes though 😀

• Average_Contents

Aug 28, 2015 at 12:50 PM

Take a chancel

Seen that before.

We’ve apparently been after him in the past, I hope he’s shite lol

• Take a Chancel on me

Aug 28, 2015 at 12:53 PM

AC
    He will be for them lol

• Ibizatoon

Aug 28, 2015 at 1:01 PM

AC…Luke being a bit forward there for my liking.

I don’t think it’s appropriate reading that Darth Vader “tossed him off”. Poor journalism.

• Ibizatoon

Aug 28, 2015 at 1:02 PM

Oh sorry, page hadn’t finished loading. “off the death star”

• Average_Contents

Aug 28, 2015 at 1:04 PM

Trust ibiza to lower the tone of the blog.

Chancel

What’s the betting he scores in the derby but at no other time.

• Krul To Be Kind

Aug 28, 2015 at 1:06 PM

Sorry guys was off line for a bit there, Ian – I think Colback is a bit of of an upgrade on Tiote, he does all the same things Tiote did in his pomp with us without the bookings, if we are to persist with Anita in DM then he needs a solid, consistent hard tackler in beside him which is exactly what Colback and Tiote are but I believe Colback to be the less riskier of the 2 as he doesn’t dwell on the ball and have visions of grandeur that he is a midfield maestro, he knows his limitations and doesn’t eff about with it, has a great engine too!

Taylor is a starter for me to combat Giroud’s aerial prowess on Saturday, Willo would be chasing shadows with their intricate passing around the box and Taylor seems to listen to Collo to make us more compact in the middle, if he stays fit then the back line is going to better than it has been tactically for years with MBemba as having the pace to counteract quick strikers and Taylor having a physical presence when up against big strikers. That’s how I see the back line lining out this year with tactics changing accordingly, I have always rated Taylor if he can stay bloody fit!

• Krul To Be Kind

Aug 28, 2015 at 1:07 PM

Obviously Collo is going to be the main man at the back this year

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

Aug 28, 2015 at 1:10 PM

“It was a whole new game plan, going to Man United and taking the game to them,” “If you go there and sit back, then you get battered.”

Christ that’s a delusional statement. Umm Steven, we did sit back and we didn’t take the game to them. Yes we got a great draw and were well organised but they dominated possession and we were camped in our own half the majority of the game.

I’m optimistic and hopeful about the new era, but by God some people take it to the extreme. We should all remain firmly within the realms of reality.

• Ibizatoon

Aug 28, 2015 at 1:13 PM

AC…We all have a part to play. Please don’t underestimate just how little you bring to the table in making this blog great.

Krul…Your comment “visions of grandeur” is exactly it though. Aren’t we supposed to be moving onwards and upwards – towards grandeur?

As I said before, I think Colback is a safer option in a non-functioning team. Not sure that’s what we’re supposedly about anymore.

Still, not a bad player to have about. But it’s Anita for me.

• Krul To Be Kind

Aug 28, 2015 at 1:13 PM

I wouldn’t start Janmat neither tomorrow more to set a marker that irrational behaviour on the field will not be tolerated, I think we need MBemba there for his defensive nous and pace against the gunners wide men.

I did notice against the Mancs that he kept creeping into middle but his pace at chasing back out when he caught himself on was good, pace can paper over most cracks when you have it, and that boy has it in abundance.

• Ibizatoon

Aug 28, 2015 at 1:14 PM

Geremi…It was a strange statement from Taylor. If the gameplan was to take the game to them and not sit back, then it didn’t work.

Still, it’s good to know our plan b worked! 🙂

• Krul To Be Kind

Aug 28, 2015 at 1:15 PM

Okay Ibiza ill rephrase – Deceived visions of his own grandeur!
    😉

• Ibizatoon

Aug 28, 2015 at 1:17 PM

Krul… Good man 🙂 Still, I’d have Anita over Colback. Not a criticism of him, I just think Anita is an important player that is worth persisting with.

• Krul To Be Kind

Aug 28, 2015 at 1:22 PM

I agree on Anita, the wee man quietly and confidently goes about his game and gets stuck in even with his physical deficiencies, he has a good footballing brain and I actually think him and Colback will eventually compliment each other well over the season.

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

Aug 28, 2015 at 1:23 PM

Ibiza –

I don’t know if we should be slightly alarmed by it. If that’s what they genuinely believe constitutes taking the game to a team, then we have some issues.

We heard similar mutterings this time last year and there were some very overly optimistic / deluded statements from many people about how good we were. I’ve read and heard a few like them already so far this season.

We seem to have a tendency to really exaggerate the good and bad but realistically I think we should be cautious and recognise where we are more readily. The Swansea game showed us how much more work is needed and we need to remember that or after the next big hammering it will swing 180 all over again.

• Krul To Be Kind

Aug 28, 2015 at 1:24 PM

What’s everyone else’s view on Janmat starting tomorrow, am I alone in wanting him benched even after his goal on Tuesday?

• Ibizatoon

Aug 28, 2015 at 1:24 PM

Krul…Wait a second, have you been deciding between Colback and Tiote, to partner Anita?

If so, then I’ve just wasted both of our time and for that I am deeply sorry.

Either way – I’m looking forward to seeing Gouffran nail down that CM position! 😉

• TheToonKing

Aug 28, 2015 at 1:25 PM

They won’t be posting any more of the 24/7 NUFC episodes on Youtube. Only on the nufc.co.uk site behind the paywall.

They say it’s because they can’t show game footage on Youtube, but I think it’s greed, as they could just cut those out and show the behind the scenes stuff.

• Ibizatoon

Aug 28, 2015 at 1:29 PM

Geremi…What are you talking about? Nothing but balanced assessments on here mate!

Now really isn’t the time to be calling anything, either way. Still lots of work to be done, but the early signs are promising and there is reason for a more optimistic outlook than last season. Not sure it’s the time to make early enquiries about open topped busses mind.

Krul…I get the desire to teach him a lesson, however, he’s already played again since then, so what lesson are we teaching him really?

Arsenal will prove a different test to the Man U game. Not sure how I feel about a Colo / Taylor partnership against their passing tbh. I’d put Janmaat back in and push Chancel back to CB.

• Ibizatoon

Aug 28, 2015 at 1:32 PM

ToonKing…If it was just about the YouTube regulations, then surely they could host it for free off their own website?

Or is it PL rules and the YouTube aspect is not overly relevant? If so, then as you say, edit those bits out.

• Krul To Be Kind

Aug 28, 2015 at 1:32 PM

Hey Ibiza all great players work themselves further back the field in their later years Goofy could be our Gullit and end up as the new sweeping centre half next season!

It’s a shame he didn’t get more time up front, he was a good no. 10 before coming here and being reduced to a jack of all trades, I was genuinely excited when he signed, but I feel he has been let down by the club rather than vice versa, another Jonas in the making.

• Ibizatoon

Aug 28, 2015 at 1:37 PM

Krul…I don’t have any bad feeling towards Gouffran at all. Very much so in the Jonas mold (a bit like Colback too). Honest and hard working.

Every team needs them. How many of them however? As things stand, he’d be nowhere near my starting 11, probably not even the bench.

• Mag52

Aug 28, 2015 at 1:37 PM

We have a few steady professionals in the squad. Players who rarely stand out but who do a decent, competent job for the most part without ever tearing up any trees. Colback is one, Taylor is another and Willo is another. I’d probably add Anita to that list as well.
    All these players have featured heavily in the players who, according to some posters, should have been shown the door during this transfer window, yet most teams have their fair share of low profile professionals who get on with the job week in, week out.
    IMO whoever came up with the nickname the ‘Ginger Pirlo’, did Colback no favours at all.