The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

It Feels Like A New Era For Newcastle United

11:12 am, Friday, August 28th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 73 Comments

Steven Taylor has a good chance of keeping his place tomorrow when we entertain Arsenal, and we will try to beat the Gunners for the first time in five years.

That last time we did that was in early November of 2010, when an Andy Carroll headed goal did it for us, and Chris Hughton was still the manager.

Steven Taylor Manchester+United+v+Newcastle+qMsnEN2M_dBl

Steven Taylor in action last Saturday at Old Trafford

Steven Taylor has finally recovered from his Achilles injury that kept him out last season from January 1st, and as usual he is upbeat, as he spoke to the Shields Gazette today:

“It is a new era for us – mind, we have had a few of them!” “The new signings have been like a breath of fresh air.”

“It is exciting times and Newcastle fans will have gone back home very happy last weekend.” “We are only three league games in but I think you can see the improvement in the side.”

“You compare it to last year, then 100% and we are getting more confident game by game.”

“There is a new training regime and the lads will take the confidence from the Manchester  performance into the next game against Arsenal.”

“We all know in the Premier League there isn’t one easy game.”  “But for us, we just have to keep doing what we did at Old Trafford and believe we can win it.”

“It was a whole new game plan, going to Man United and taking the game to them,”   “If you go there and sit back, then you get battered.”

“Players will hurt you but our boys stuck to the game plan and looked very good defensively” “Tim Krul, when he was called upon, made the saves we needed him too.”

“We defended from the front and that is a massive help.” “The gaffer will pick the side but you don’t know until the last minute.”

“The main thing is to train well and hope you get the nod.” “You love to test yourself and you want to be on that stage, there is nothing better than that.”

It feels like the start of a new era at the club with the impressive Steve McClaren and the new coaching staff coming in, and Mike Ashley spending big money for a change, in what seems one of our best transfer windows ever.

Steven could still find himself on the bench tomorrow if Daryl Janmaat is brought back in at right-back, and Chancel Mbemba moves back to partner Colo in central defense.

It will be interesting to see what back four Steve McClaren will put out tomorrow.

This is the side we think Steve will start tomorrow – with Thauvin and Sissoko starting.

Mbemba Taylor Coloccini (c) Haidara
Anita Colback
Sissoko Wijnaldum Thauvin
Subs: Darlow Janmaat Tiote Aarons de Jong Perez Cisse

What would your team be?

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Premier League · Steven Taylor · Transfer News and Rumours

73 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jib // Aug 28, 2015 at 11:20 AM

I’ve just had a look at no.6
    You got me thinking there Slank
    Draw with Soton the players all turning up smart with mbemba in a dj.
    Mckenzie Heaney talking about U17 call up
    ring any bells ?

• 2 Rotonda heights // Aug 28, 2015 at 11:25 AM

after manu i never thought i’d say it but i think saylor is undropable, at least for the moment.

One player who should be undropable is Perez.

Only changes I would do are thauvin for obertan and sissoko for colback

• 3 Slank // Aug 28, 2015 at 11:27 AM

The bell says that was episode 5 !

I have a feeling, using arithmetic and logic, that the episode we expect or has now been released is 6 !

• 4 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 28, 2015 at 11:32 AM

Slank just been on and Jib is right they posted episode 6 on their website last week and episode 7 this tuesday

• 5 Slank // Aug 28, 2015 at 11:34 AM

jib & Take a Chancel

Got there eventually, cheers.

Should expect episode 6 appearing on You Tube any moment !

• 6 Jib // Aug 28, 2015 at 11:43 AM

From the way SM talks about Perez , he rates him very highly – it’s a shame he calls him Eye Oz like 🙂

• 7 Krul To Be Kind // Aug 28, 2015 at 11:56 AM

I find it a shame that folk here don’t really have the love for our wee ginger Pirlo!

Colback breaks up play, harries and hassles doing the thankless task of a DM and gets hated on.

I think he’s a good player but unfortunately we don’t see players running in front of him for him to lay it off to when he wins it, but I think that will come in time when the coaching clicks more. Admittedley he doesn’t have the ability to ping a pass but he does do the tidying up job very well.

Yes there are better players out there, but you can’t ask for anymore from a solid professional if anything.

• 8 OneAlanShearer // Aug 28, 2015 at 12:11 PM

I personally think our biggest weakness is in the 2 in front of defence now. Colback, anita and tiote alongside a deep lying playmaker who can break up play is what is required. Protect the back four. Against arsenal it has to be colback and tiote to break up play and stop them sitting in front of our defence and picking us off. We need to press them constantly as well.

• 9 OneAlanShearer // Aug 28, 2015 at 12:14 PM

Krul – agreed colback is a solid professional. Our current best option but he so needs a better player alongside him not someone trying to be at his level. Tiote simply has to improve and I fear anita is at his peak..steady but not quite solid.

• 10 Ian Toon // Aug 28, 2015 at 12:18 PM

Krul – I rate Colback highly. He’s a very good athlete and professional who gives 100% and balance to the side. He’s the sort of player who’s missed when not playing he was 3rd in the blogs player of last season. I would be very surprised if he doesn’t start tomorrow because Macca rates him and is working to tweak his role.
    We have a number of parochial fans who will never forgive him for going through the mackem academy. He supported the toon as a kid and had agreed to join NUFC in the January before his contract ran out.

• 11 corkypants // Aug 28, 2015 at 12:23 PM

Anita has been superb this season and towards the end of last, he is pivotal to the wey we play under stevie.

Also tiote hasnt performed well at all this season besides anite has a very high work rate and reads the game better than a out of form tiote

If tiote was at his best then it mite be a different story because he is a beast when he’s at his best

• 12 Ian Toon // Aug 28, 2015 at 12:25 PM

Can Tiote get fit? Sissoko or Anita? One of the first names on the team sheet is Jack who does a lot of work that the less enlightened don’t see. Anita has the style but not always the substance. Just watch Matic to appreciate the required physicality in the premiership.

• 13 Rotonda heights // Aug 28, 2015 at 12:25 PM

i don’t hate on colback and i think he is a great player to bring on to try and shore up things but don’t know if he should be an automatic starter if we harbour genuine intentions of progressing.

Anita can keep the play moving especially if he had a strong DM next to him, as tiote was 3/4 years back now. I think it should be anita ahead of colback but not both.

• 14 Ian Toon // Aug 28, 2015 at 12:27 PM

Krul to be kind- Good talking point.

• 15 Ibizatoon // Aug 28, 2015 at 12:31 PM

I quite like Colback. No nonsense, no thrills, generally a genuine hard working player.

Don’t care that he was at Sunderland or that he came here on a free.

If a straight choice between him or Anita?

Personally I’d go for Anita. Colbacks shortcomings shall we say go less noticed than Anita’s, but for me, that’s usually more to do with the team setup / coaching.

• 16 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 28, 2015 at 12:43 PM

Jeez Scumderland have signed Ola Toivonen on loan

• 17 Average_Contents // Aug 28, 2015 at 12:49 PM

Excellent article and sums things up nicely. He’s still a horrible twat in my eyes though 😀

• 18 Average_Contents // Aug 28, 2015 at 12:50 PM

Take a chancel

Seen that before.

We’ve apparently been after him in the past, I hope he’s shite lol

• 19 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 28, 2015 at 12:53 PM

He will be for them lol

• 20 Ibizatoon // Aug 28, 2015 at 1:01 PM

AC…Luke being a bit forward there for my liking.

I don’t think it’s appropriate reading that Darth Vader “tossed him off”. Poor journalism.

• 21 Ibizatoon // Aug 28, 2015 at 1:02 PM

Oh sorry, page hadn’t finished loading. “off the death star”

• 22 Average_Contents // Aug 28, 2015 at 1:04 PM

Trust ibiza to lower the tone of the blog.

What’s the betting he scores in the derby but at no other time.

• 23 Krul To Be Kind // Aug 28, 2015 at 1:06 PM

Sorry guys was off line for a bit there, Ian – I think Colback is a bit of of an upgrade on Tiote, he does all the same things Tiote did in his pomp with us without the bookings, if we are to persist with Anita in DM then he needs a solid, consistent hard tackler in beside him which is exactly what Colback and Tiote are but I believe Colback to be the less riskier of the 2 as he doesn’t dwell on the ball and have visions of grandeur that he is a midfield maestro, he knows his limitations and doesn’t eff about with it, has a great engine too!

Taylor is a starter for me to combat Giroud’s aerial prowess on Saturday, Willo would be chasing shadows with their intricate passing around the box and Taylor seems to listen to Collo to make us more compact in the middle, if he stays fit then the back line is going to better than it has been tactically for years with MBemba as having the pace to counteract quick strikers and Taylor having a physical presence when up against big strikers. That’s how I see the back line lining out this year with tactics changing accordingly, I have always rated Taylor if he can stay bloody fit!

• 24 Krul To Be Kind // Aug 28, 2015 at 1:07 PM

Obviously Collo is going to be the main man at the back this year

• 25 Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund // Aug 28, 2015 at 1:10 PM

“It was a whole new game plan, going to Man United and taking the game to them,” “If you go there and sit back, then you get battered.”

Christ that’s a delusional statement. Umm Steven, we did sit back and we didn’t take the game to them. Yes we got a great draw and were well organised but they dominated possession and we were camped in our own half the majority of the game.

I’m optimistic and hopeful about the new era, but by God some people take it to the extreme. We should all remain firmly within the realms of reality.

• 26 Ibizatoon // Aug 28, 2015 at 1:13 PM

AC…We all have a part to play. Please don’t underestimate just how little you bring to the table in making this blog great.

Krul…Your comment “visions of grandeur” is exactly it though. Aren’t we supposed to be moving onwards and upwards – towards grandeur?

As I said before, I think Colback is a safer option in a non-functioning team. Not sure that’s what we’re supposedly about anymore.

Still, not a bad player to have about. But it’s Anita for me.

• 27 Krul To Be Kind // Aug 28, 2015 at 1:13 PM

I wouldn’t start Janmat neither tomorrow more to set a marker that irrational behaviour on the field will not be tolerated, I think we need MBemba there for his defensive nous and pace against the gunners wide men.

I did notice against the Mancs that he kept creeping into middle but his pace at chasing back out when he caught himself on was good, pace can paper over most cracks when you have it, and that boy has it in abundance.

• 28 Ibizatoon // Aug 28, 2015 at 1:14 PM

Geremi…It was a strange statement from Taylor. If the gameplan was to take the game to them and not sit back, then it didn’t work.

Still, it’s good to know our plan b worked! 🙂

• 29 Krul To Be Kind // Aug 28, 2015 at 1:15 PM

Okay Ibiza ill rephrase – Deceived visions of his own grandeur!

• 30 Ibizatoon // Aug 28, 2015 at 1:17 PM

Krul… Good man 🙂 Still, I’d have Anita over Colback. Not a criticism of him, I just think Anita is an important player that is worth persisting with.

• 31 Krul To Be Kind // Aug 28, 2015 at 1:22 PM

I agree on Anita, the wee man quietly and confidently goes about his game and gets stuck in even with his physical deficiencies, he has a good footballing brain and I actually think him and Colback will eventually compliment each other well over the season.

• 32 Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund // Aug 28, 2015 at 1:23 PM

Ibiza –

I don’t know if we should be slightly alarmed by it. If that’s what they genuinely believe constitutes taking the game to a team, then we have some issues.

We heard similar mutterings this time last year and there were some very overly optimistic / deluded statements from many people about how good we were. I’ve read and heard a few like them already so far this season.

We seem to have a tendency to really exaggerate the good and bad but realistically I think we should be cautious and recognise where we are more readily. The Swansea game showed us how much more work is needed and we need to remember that or after the next big hammering it will swing 180 all over again.

• 33 Krul To Be Kind // Aug 28, 2015 at 1:24 PM

What’s everyone else’s view on Janmat starting tomorrow, am I alone in wanting him benched even after his goal on Tuesday?

• 34 Ibizatoon // Aug 28, 2015 at 1:24 PM

Krul…Wait a second, have you been deciding between Colback and Tiote, to partner Anita?

If so, then I’ve just wasted both of our time and for that I am deeply sorry.

Either way – I’m looking forward to seeing Gouffran nail down that CM position! 😉

• 35 TheToonKing // Aug 28, 2015 at 1:25 PM

They won’t be posting any more of the 24/7 NUFC episodes on Youtube. Only on the site behind the paywall.

They say it’s because they can’t show game footage on Youtube, but I think it’s greed, as they could just cut those out and show the behind the scenes stuff.

• 36 Ibizatoon // Aug 28, 2015 at 1:29 PM

Geremi…What are you talking about? Nothing but balanced assessments on here mate!

Now really isn’t the time to be calling anything, either way. Still lots of work to be done, but the early signs are promising and there is reason for a more optimistic outlook than last season. Not sure it’s the time to make early enquiries about open topped busses mind.

Krul…I get the desire to teach him a lesson, however, he’s already played again since then, so what lesson are we teaching him really?

Arsenal will prove a different test to the Man U game. Not sure how I feel about a Colo / Taylor partnership against their passing tbh. I’d put Janmaat back in and push Chancel back to CB.

• 37 Ibizatoon // Aug 28, 2015 at 1:32 PM

ToonKing…If it was just about the YouTube regulations, then surely they could host it for free off their own website?

Or is it PL rules and the YouTube aspect is not overly relevant? If so, then as you say, edit those bits out.

• 38 Krul To Be Kind // Aug 28, 2015 at 1:32 PM

Hey Ibiza all great players work themselves further back the field in their later years Goofy could be our Gullit and end up as the new sweeping centre half next season!

It’s a shame he didn’t get more time up front, he was a good no. 10 before coming here and being reduced to a jack of all trades, I was genuinely excited when he signed, but I feel he has been let down by the club rather than vice versa, another Jonas in the making.

• 39 Ibizatoon // Aug 28, 2015 at 1:37 PM

Krul…I don’t have any bad feeling towards Gouffran at all. Very much so in the Jonas mold (a bit like Colback too). Honest and hard working.

Every team needs them. How many of them however? As things stand, he’d be nowhere near my starting 11, probably not even the bench.

• 40 Mag52 // Aug 28, 2015 at 1:37 PM

We have a few steady professionals in the squad. Players who rarely stand out but who do a decent, competent job for the most part without ever tearing up any trees. Colback is one, Taylor is another and Willo is another. I’d probably add Anita to that list as well.
    All these players have featured heavily in the players who, according to some posters, should have been shown the door during this transfer window, yet most teams have their fair share of low profile professionals who get on with the job week in, week out.
    IMO whoever came up with the nickname the ‘Ginger Pirlo’, did Colback no favours at all.

• 41 Ibizatoon // Aug 28, 2015 at 1:39 PM

Mag…I get what you’re saying in that Anita doesn’t appear to be tearing up any trees, but to group him with those 3 just doesn’t sit right with me.

• 42 Our Toon // Aug 28, 2015 at 1:40 PM

Didn’t Colback pick up 13 or more bookings last season in the league alone?

The lad is very limited and the biggest weakness is him and Anita. I’ll get slated for this but Anita is pants, alot seem impressed because he drops to deep to pick up a pass from the defence or the keeper, fans are in owe of the way we play on the deck. Anita doesn’t offer protection to the back 4, doesn’t bring any combative skills, can’t win aerial duals…..but hey he can pick up a 2 yard pass and make a 2 yard pass so that’s all we need it seems.

Every game I’ve seen this season we’ve been dominated in central midfield, Arsenal will flood that area, let’s see if Anita and Colback track runners like they tracked Ayew so well 2 weeks ago

• 43 Ibizatoon // Aug 28, 2015 at 1:42 PM

OurToon…Consider yourself slated 🙂

Even if that’s all he did (take 2 yard passes from defense and then making a 2 yard pass to the attack) then it’s an improvement on hoofing it from the back.

Can we get better, all round midfielders than Anita? For sure. Do we have them in our squad at present though?

• 44 JP...from The Rock // Aug 28, 2015 at 1:48 PM

I’d only fit Thauvin in for Obertan and Sissoko for Colback as those two were awful against Man U. It’s great to see we have strength in quality on the bench at last.

I would like us to get a better LB than Haidara for the first team like that young Portugese bloke and then we will be really strong.

Then in January we could address the RB cover with Sam Byram.

• 45 Moonraker15 // Aug 28, 2015 at 2:00 PM

I agree Anita and Colback, although good players are not dominant enough in dm. I thought Tiote was the answer but I think we’ve seen the best of him now.

If we had a top top dm it would solve a lot of our back 4 problems I think. Maybe the answer is Colo in that role ??

• 46 Ibizatoon // Aug 28, 2015 at 2:02 PM

Moonraker…I think ToonBrother was on making a similar claim about Colo being the answer.

Might be recalling incorrectly though….

• 47 SUTTY1978 // Aug 28, 2015 at 2:10 PM

Our Toon, agree with your statements on Colback & Anita, i posted a couple of days ago that both should be moved out of the team and that Sissoko & Wijnaldum should be in those positions. We always ceed possession in midfield because Anita & Colback are poor at defending and offer nothing going forward. The opposition know that if they close the space they will get the ball back because neither player can pass more than 5 yards and neither player can take on the opposition with the ball at his feet.
    Neither actually make tackles either. I would hazard a guess that both foul more each game than make successful tackles. They are limited players that put a glass ceiling on how well we will ever be able to play.
    For those in disagreement, think back to the beginning of last season. Nobody wanted Anita in the team, Colback had just been signed and everyone hoped it was only as a squad player.

• 48 Ibizatoon // Aug 28, 2015 at 2:14 PM

Sutty…I wanted Anita in the team, btw. I also seem to remember that he even went on to win a few motm awards when he did get a run in the team.

Also, I have to question you wanting Sissoko in his place and to use tackling as the reason?!? Sissoko? Tackling? Really?

• 49 hibbit // Aug 28, 2015 at 2:20 PM

sutty if its about tackling how come you talk about sissoko can’t tackle wont tackle looks the part but just a big softie in the tackle goes missing far to often really got not bottle

• 50 Our Toon // Aug 28, 2015 at 2:21 PM

Ibiza & moonraker

I agree it’s better than the hoofball but Anita is currently doing what my mum could do….doesn’t make him a good player. The new philosophy is good but if you offer nothing defensively or attacking wise then what is it you do in the team?

Anita cost 7m or 8m, it’s important to recycle possession but you also need to offer something else as well, Anita against West Ham was immense, he contributed all over the pitch but at the minute he does nothing other than pass it 2 yards. Not good especially considering we had 30% possession last week.

Would Anita get into any other team in the prem? I don’t think he would. He’s being raved about because he’s capable of doing the very thing my 5 year old nephew is taught at football. I don’t like Colback but he’s better and offers more in that role.

To play that role you eother need to dictate play ie pirlo esc and being a deep lying playmaker spraying passes all over or you need to be a destroyer like Wanayama. Swansea play Ki when he’s fit in that role it seems as if we have the Dutch Leon Brittan of Swansea!!

• 51 cyprus // Aug 28, 2015 at 2:26 PM

Jan looks the part, but in truth, many goals have been conceded over there. I know some people, in trying to put use of a good player, have pushed him to RW. Perhaps, his best place is at CB, with Colo. RB Mbemba.

I hate to pick on players, but to get a result: It’s important that Obertan isn’t played. Ignore that he can’t dribble and that he immediately passes back to the passer, if you will. He seems lazy in the back as well.

• 52 Our Toon // Aug 28, 2015 at 2:27 PM

When Sissoko joined NUFC he had an immediate impact, when he joined up with the national team they all took temhe mickey out of him because he’d never played in a no10 role as he did here. Sissoko was more of a ball winning midfielder in France, much like Yaya Toure who was a ball winning midfielder throughout his career and at Barca. Now Yaya refuses to do that aspect of the game and it seems like sissoko has the same attitude.

Sissoko can tackle he either chooses not to play like he did in France or the managers he’s had have told him changed his mindset and prefer him as an attacking outlet

• 53 Ibizatoon // Aug 28, 2015 at 2:39 PM

OurToon…I think the only thing left to work out is how long it’ll take your Mum or 5 year old nephew to get to SJP?

I don’t agree with you on Anita, but if I did, who would you be starting out of what we have in the squad over him? As I said before, can we get better, but do we currently have better?

• 54 Ibizatoon // Aug 28, 2015 at 2:40 PM

OurToon…Interesting point on Sissoko. All I can say from watching him at Newcastle, is that he doesn’t appear to do the tackling thing, so can’t understand calls for him to be our combative centre midfielder.

• 55 cyprus // Aug 28, 2015 at 2:49 PM

on what you have there: I’d probably bench Taylor for Jan, though in fairness Taylor had a good game.

Would also put Perez in, no matter who came off, he’s that good. Probably Anita, though whenever he’s off we kinda collapse, probably because he’s always available and puts in a tackle.

So, then, Perez on for whomever is pants in the first half and most responsible for the embarrassing possession stat of 90-10.

• 56 SUTTY1978 // Aug 28, 2015 at 2:51 PM

Ibiza, my point was that the players we currently have there don’t tackle either, they really offer nothing other than “chasing & harrying” which rarely leads to a turnover of possession in our favour. Is it not better to at least have players there who have more string to their bow, that can offer something going forward, that can put the opposition on the back foot and make them worry about us.
    If you saw colback and anita on another teams teamsheet against us would you be worried?

• 57 Our Toon // Aug 28, 2015 at 3:00 PM

If sissoko can’t or isn’t willing to play the DM role like he did in France then I’d shift Wijinaldum back into the box to box / deep lying playmaker role and he’d play alongside Anita or Colback. Have Perez and SDJ battle it out for the no 10 role. Funny thing is if sissoko had stuck to the DM role he’d have got his dream move to a CL team like Arsenal.

I’ve been saying for sometime now we don’t have a combative midfielder and that’s what I’d target before the window shuts. As the squad stands either Sissoko goes back to what he’s best at DM role or Wijnaldum drops in to be the deep playmaker with Anita or colback

• 58 Our Toon // Aug 28, 2015 at 3:06 PM

Jan, Mbemba, Colo, Haidara/Dum
    Sissoko, Wij
    Thauvin, Perez/SDJ, Aarons

Only if and that’s a big if….Sissoko returns back to what we signed from France and that’s a combative midfielder. He has a horrible touch because he’s naturally a ball winner who’s transformed since coming to the prem. Unfortunately Tiote looks miles off the pace, that lad needs games either u21 or behind closed doors.

• 59 Jib // Aug 28, 2015 at 3:07 PM

Pretty naff point really
    Coquellin and Arteta don’t exactly have me trembling in me boots

• 60 Tinman // Aug 28, 2015 at 3:10 PM

I would go with;

• 61 Tinman // Aug 28, 2015 at 3:12 PM

I would always prefer Thauvin on the left, Mitro needs crosses, he can get them in far quicker if he is on the left.

Unless we want to play Thauvi and Perez on opposite sides so that they can cut in and shoot and rely almost solely on wingbacks to put the ball in.

Not a bad shout either.

• 62 SUTTY1978 // Aug 28, 2015 at 3:21 PM

JIB, maybe not but they’re about 3 or 4 steps above Colback and Anita, which is why they will completely dominate us.

• 63 Jib // Aug 28, 2015 at 3:23 PM

You never know for sure because one is always trying to expand on snippets picked up from McClaren when he’s interviewed.
    But I think he is starting to trust Perez and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him play in the hole behind the mighty Mitro

• 64 Our Toon // Aug 28, 2015 at 3:27 PM

The role of a DM midfielder isn’t to put put fear in you but it’s to put out fires. Watch Coquelin tomorrow, he’ll be making challanges all over the pitch protecting his back 4. Coquelin makes last ditch tackles for Arsenal and it’s no surprise they’ve changed for the better with him in there

• 65 Blaydon-Toon // Aug 28, 2015 at 3:27 PM

Never do a team but against Arsenal
    Jan Mbemba Collo Taylor Colback

Anita Sissoko/wini

Perez. Mitro Aaron’s / florian

• 66 Our Toon // Aug 28, 2015 at 3:28 PM

And Arteta doesn’t start, come back to 2015!!

• 67 Jib // Aug 28, 2015 at 3:30 PM

It’s all opinion but neither Coquelin nor Arteta have been selected for their respective national senior squads Anita and Colback have

• 68 Jib // Aug 28, 2015 at 3:36 PM

Our Toon @ 64
    You have just pretty much described Anita at Old Trafford last Saturday.
    Why is it so hard for plastic fans like you and Sutty to support and get behind your own teams players ?

• 69 Our Toon // Aug 28, 2015 at 3:43 PM

Ahaha plastic fans eh oh dear there’s the real Jeff. Something I’d never call another fan of any club because I have no idea what type of fan they are or how much they support the team they love. I would hazard a guess though that no one on this blog is a plastic fan, if they were why would they invest so much time in posting comments? Says more about you as a person though buddy!!

Look at the quality in the dutch midfield and then the quality in the other 2 countries you’ve failed to mention. Coquelin was playing in league 1 bit has cemented his place in the arsenal team as a tough tackler. Matudi does that role nationally amongst others so doubt he’d ever get into that national team. Arteta will never make it into arguably the best midfield in national football.

Carzola though who plays with Coquelin and not Arteta who hasn’t started a game in almost 12 months has played for his national team. Did you ever find that club team named Brazil?

• 70 estechco // Aug 28, 2015 at 4:06 PM

Controversial new suggested team…

Jan, Taylor, Mbemba, Colo, Haidara
    Thauvin, Wij, Perez

The idea being to give Mbemba scope to push up and support Colback in DM or drop back whilst our fullbacks bomb on?

I know SM wouldn’t entertain it, but, discuss…

• 71 OneAlanShearer // Aug 28, 2015 at 4:12 PM

Corky yep I an hoping schteve can get tiote back to his best. I am happy with colback I just think he needs a better player alongside him. Anita has improved as others have mentioned I am just not sure it’s enough. Oh well looks like we are going with what we have so I hope schteve gets them all upping their games.

• 72 SUTTY1978 // Aug 28, 2015 at 4:15 PM

JIB, you really do have a strange perspective. How the hell am i plastic because i have an opinion on who should or should not play in midfield?
    With regard to getting behind your players, i’m a big fan of Haidara where loads of others slate him, i certainly don’t call those that slate him plastic!
    Similarly i have said that willo and Mbemba would be our best CB pairing, again getting behind a player that others slate. Again i don’t have a go at those that do, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Feel free to go and dig back through my posts to have a look, i know you like to do that.

• 73 sfbay_toon // Aug 28, 2015 at 5:04 PM

Vs. Arsenal:

============== Krul =============
    == Mbemba = Taylor = Colo = Haidara ==
    ======= Colback === Anita ==========
    === Sissoko* == Gini====Thauvin =====
    ============ Mitrovic =============

* depends on fitness – Perez a great alternative

My right winger will play forward and shade the middle on occasion – Sissoko/Perez, Gini, and Mitrovic should all pressure the AFC CBs.

Should be a good one.