Steve McClaren is giving his press conference at the moment, and he has given out some information on the transfer window which ends on Tuesday night at 6:00pm.
Steve has said he doesn’t expect to lose any players by then (that he wants to keep).
If we can keep players like Cheick Tiote, Mike Williamson, Papiss Cisse and Gabby Obertan at Newcastle, then these players can still do a job for Newcastle this season, and the first three have ample experience in the Premier League and have been starters for Newcastle.
Steve McClaren – giving his press conference today
We notice Mike Williamson seems to be getting heavy criticism from some supporters, but remember the season before last he was the Player of the Season at Newcastle, and he can still do a job when required this season, as he showed on Tuesday night.
Also given the fact he cost us just £1M from Portsmouth five years ago last January, and he has played 169 times for the first team – Mike’s been a great buy for the Magpies.
The one thing we were a little worried about this summer was that Newcastle would let some top players leave before the window closes, but that doesn’t seem like it’s going to happen.
So we will keep players like Cisse, Sissoko and Janmaat, who other clubs could have come in for this summer.
As far as the transfer window goes, this is what the 54 year-old had to say:
“We’ve not got anything up our sleeve and we have no intention of losing anyone.”
This is some of what Steve McClaren has said in his press conference today for tomorrow’s early kick-off game against Arsenal at St. James’ Park:
“To beat any of the top four teams you need to defend well, be compact and heroic,” “We need to repeat that and be better on the ball especially at home where we need to keep the ball better than we did last week.”
“With a sell-out crowd behind us we can hopefully make it very difficult for Arsenal.”
Other than a top defender, we don’t really need to bring anybody new in by next Tuesday, but we do need to keep some of our experienced players – especially when we will be trying to win both the League Cup and FA Cup and need a bigger squad to do that.
Steve McClaren was asked specifically about Wolves striker Benik Afobe, who we have been linked with over the last couple of weeks, and he said we have no interest in him.
That’s fine, given that we have no intention of losing Papiss Cisse before the transfer window closes.
McClaren also said he will leave it until the last moment to decide whether Moussa Sissoko will be part of the squad – we had hoped the Frenchman could come straight back into the side.
We’ll just have to wait and see about Moussa – but Steve’s starting eleven will be very interesting tomorrow, and we are also hoping that Florian Thauvin can start the game on the left wing.
The 22 year-old looked a very good player on Tuesday night.