The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

This Player Newcastle’s Best Bet To Sign Before Wednesday

11:00 pm, Friday, August 28th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 37 Comments

In Steve McClaren’s press conference today for the tough game against Arsenal tomorrow, the head coach said Newcastle didn’t really  have any late transfer targets they were tying to bring in before Tuesday night, and then he added – but you never know.

There’s still probably a chance Newcastle can bring in another player before Tuesday night, and if Newcastle do that, we would hope it is a defender, a good defender.

raphael Guerreiro

Raphael Guerreiro – are Newcastle still interested

One of the things that is apparent at Newcastle is that we don’t have too many specialist full backs on the books – Newcastle basically have only three in Janmaat, Dummett and Haidara – after we managed to sell Davide Santon to Inter-Milan.

Maybe Newcastle need to bring in a full-back before Tuesday night to balance things out in defense.

There are persistent reports coming out of France that Newcastle are still interested in signing Lorient left-back Raphael Guerreiro, and the fee is said to be around €11M, which is about £7.7M

The reports coming out of France insist that Newcastle are trying to bring in the twice capped Portuguese International to Tyneside, and Raphael is only 21, so he is a good age and the type of player Newcastle like to sign.

A few weeks ago Lorient President Loic Fery wanted as big a fee as possible for his 5ft 7ins left-back, and he said this in L’Equipe:

“I do not understand why Raphael would supposedly be worth €12m, when I hear that and Lucas Digne and Layvin Kurzawa are worth €25M today”

“Nobody is non-transferable, but it must be for the right price.”

Fery cites a price there of €12M which is around £8.4M, but he would like to get more than that if possible – that’s hardly surprising.

If the French reports are correct, maybe it’s the fee that is holding up the transfer?

Newcastle have brought in one defender this summer, a good one in Chancel Mbemba, and it would be good to get another one in late in this window.

Raphael was born in France to a Portuguese father and a French mother, and he has elected to play International football for Portugal.

He made his International debut last November in the UEFA Euro 2016 qualifier against Armenia, and for about £8M, Guerreiro could be a good signing for Newcastle.

What do you think?

Tags: Newcastle News · Recruitment · Scouting Network · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

37 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // Aug 28, 2015 at 11:21 PM

Ashley Out!

• 2 Polarboy // Aug 28, 2015 at 11:22 PM

Yep would be good to get this lad if he’s as good as they say he is. Although I think I may have read that he is supposed to be a fair bit better going forward than perhaps defending. In any case I would have him possibly starting, Haidara as back up, and use Dummett as CB cover. I think Dummett will eventually end up in the centre and he has been good there for us in the past.

• 3 Derek // Aug 28, 2015 at 11:22 PM

How’s that list of Newcastle’s linked players going? Must be getting near 200 by now.

• 4 Tsunki // Aug 28, 2015 at 11:24 PM

it’s only about 75 if you subtract the Charlie Austin links.

• 5 Tsunki // Aug 28, 2015 at 11:25 PM

Hopefully Dummett will end up in the town centre sweeping Northumberland street

• 6 blew // Aug 28, 2015 at 11:27 PM

The defence is vulnerable to crosses due to
    lack of height – 2 x 5’11” CBs, I don’t think
    a 5’7″ LB is sensible.

• 7 Bobbybee // Aug 28, 2015 at 11:32 PM

As much as I’d love to see more signings this window, I’m not sure we will. We’ve been selective in our signings so far and unless somebody Carr has been chasing for a while becomes available, I think we’ll leave it until January. Hope I’m wrong, but I’ll be pleasantly surprised if we do sign anyone else. Fingers crossed all the same.

• 8 Polarboy // Aug 28, 2015 at 11:32 PM

@Tsunki. Dummett is a decent squad player and has performed well in the centre before.

@blew. Irrespective of whether we need another CB we do need a LB. Even if Hairdara improves it’s healthy to have competition.

• 9 optimistic prime // Aug 28, 2015 at 11:33 PM

Has Ashley not gone yet?

• 10 Bobbybee // Aug 28, 2015 at 11:44 PM

I’m not sure anybody can judge this season on what’s gone previously. Apart from adding £50m worth of talent, we have a complete change of coaching philosophy to factor into the equation. This is a fresh start for the Toon in so many different ways. The crowd will be another plus for tomorrow, compared to last season. I’m really looking forward to the game tomorrow and prepared for anything to happen. Can’t see it being a boring match, that’s for sure. Howay the lads!!!!

• 11 lesh // Aug 28, 2015 at 11:49 PM

Is Charnley fannying on over the fee?

A few weeks ago it wouldn’t have been the way. Ashley’s probably reined his spending in but then again, he implied he’d be hands-off at end of last season.

• 12 jimmysmith // Aug 28, 2015 at 11:54 PM

We could easily have been hammered by Man U, so dominant were they, but what was most noticeable, was that we defended a group’ in 4 banks, from Mitrovic back. You expect that from Newcastle against the senior sides. The problem has been away days at the likes of Swansea, where the motivation has so often been lacking, but if the side can be cajoled into a consistent level of collective endeavour, then the defence IS good enough. The back four needs protection, and of course we are bound to see that against Arsenal at St James’, such a big occasion. If it gets it, players like Collocini, Janmaat, and Haidarra you sense will come into their own and play to their strengths, which is on the ball and in possession bringing the ball out of defence.

• 13 switch365 // Aug 29, 2015 at 12:06 AM

With Willo’s failings, Taylor’s inability to stay fit for more than 2 months and Colo’s history of putting a few decent performances then turning shit again, can we actually afford not to strengthen the centre of defence?
    You can’t make a silk purse from a sow’s ear

• 14 Bobbybee // Aug 29, 2015 at 12:07 AM

Lesh, not sure there is a fee to fanny over marra. Just more paper talk I think. There’s nothing official coming from us, unless I’ve missed something. You never know though, as the window approaches closing time…

• 15 jayphoto // Aug 29, 2015 at 12:41 AM

Be an interesting couple of days coming up!
    Charlie Austin and Abdennour both pretty much guarenteed to be on the move.
    Don’t think we’re in for gurreiro tbh, nufc is an easy club for french clubs to name drop to drum up interest in players! My bet is monaco are floating around for this player and lorient want to get the best fee. We have 2 first team left backs both on long contracts. Unless people leave i don’t think theres any way we sign a left back or centreback. If anything we’ll take the psv lad in January or next summer?
    I expect us to sign Austin on deadline day and possibly a reserve right back (though mbemba did ok last weekend)

• 16 Bobbybee // Aug 29, 2015 at 12:57 AM

Jay, do you think we were ever interested in Austin? I’m not sure myself. We never made an offer, despite press reports, so I’m not convinced it wasn’t just media hype. Newcastle let the story run because it was a distraction, but all I’ve ever heard from Newcastle is that we’re not interested – and yet the story keeps running! Unless it’s a double blind bluff… the sooner it closes the better, I’ve heard enough Charlie Austin to last me until January as it is! 🙂

• 17 switch365 // Aug 29, 2015 at 12:58 AM

I’d be well happy picking up Willems in January if that’s who you mean jayphoto, looks like a cracking player and seems well up for the move too.

• 18 sickandtired // Aug 29, 2015 at 1:00 AM

@Bobby – there’s nowt official comes from the Club at any time before a deal is done. Unless of course it’s shooting themselves in the foot (still, and again) like they did with the video release yesterday. Bastardising SBR’s now famous words in order to avoid further critique shows nowt much has really changed.
    Let;s see how long Schteeve remains content in coaching players he hasn’t chosen himself.

• 19 Bobbybee // Aug 29, 2015 at 1:05 AM

Always go for the players who want to come here if you can and Willems fits the bill. Seems he’s a good mate of Gini and he did write that cryptic note about the future. Rather him than some chancer looking to advertise himself.

• 20 Bobbybee // Aug 29, 2015 at 1:09 AM

S&T, I’ve been away without my pad for three days, what have I missed?

• 21 nufc_eire // Aug 29, 2015 at 1:17 AM

nufc_eire // Aug 28, 2015 at 8:56 PM

If no sissoko, then tiote. Liverpool played like this against arsenal and completely outplayed them for 60+ mins

25Jail for Ashley // Aug 28, 2015 at 8:58 PM

Nufc eire,
    Can Thauvin play on either side ?

Yeah I think he has done before. Whipping in crosses from the left and cutting in on the right

• 22 Bobbybee // Aug 29, 2015 at 1:27 AM

Sick n tired, can’t comment on the sir bobby thing. Just checked on and official website and can’t find ref to it, so I’m stuck there. On the Macca thing, I think he’s happy enough to continue as it is. He says what he wants, Carr scouts them and Chumlee buys them. That’s the model he’s bought into with the new board system, so he must be happy with it surely?

• 23 jimmysmith // Aug 29, 2015 at 1:36 AM

“Newcastle Pre-Match Video” if you missed it.

• 24 expatmag // Aug 29, 2015 at 1:39 AM

Rather than Austin, I think the lad from Wolves is our preferred option, if indeed, we are after another forward at all.

The only way I can see another forward coming in is if Cisse is sold.

• 25 remember69 // Aug 29, 2015 at 1:48 AM

Ashley IN!!!

• 26 Bobbybee // Aug 29, 2015 at 1:48 AM

Jimmy, cheers, just watched it.

S&T, don’t see a problem with it myself. They haven’t bastardised his words, they’ve repeated what he said about Newcastle, nothing more. How is that wrong? You’ve lost me.

• 27 jimmysmith // Aug 29, 2015 at 2:24 AM

Evans to West Brom for 6 mill. Rotten business that with Cisse of course, who was himself far from blameless though, and a bit injury prone, and perhaps more a passing centre back than the ball winning one we seem to need. But at 27, with a ton of experience and honours at the very highest level, that seems a very good signing for the Baggies, and a player we surely could have had ourselves if we’d wanted, you’d think.

• 28 Reyantoon // Aug 29, 2015 at 5:17 AM

No doubt the board did a very good job in this transfer window.Responded and acted just about time as i expected.If they were still looking for bargains,we would have been under footsteps of our main rivals.But credit to Lee and Carr,we stepped in the right direction and acquired talented players.We are still going in the right direction,infact we were since 2011,
    despite finishing in poorer league positions couple of times.
    As for further addition(s),there might be atleast one in,probably a striker but if we are planning to sign a defender,it’s better to look for utility player who can play in center back or left back.I’m happy too even if we sign no one from now on, as long as no one leaves.Thauvin is one of our excellent signing this summer.Not lightweight as i feared.Infact looked very talented and suitable for the PL.He is the main player that lifted my spirit to watch my team play every week.He will be a big player for us and will be the one to watch this season.Hwtl!!

• 29 cyprus // Aug 29, 2015 at 6:22 AM

I think it’s going to be 0-3, just hope this doesn’t mean a ‘spanking’ as well. I want us to play the game, although, given the ‘success’ at ManU (we went there for a desperate point), I fear we’ll play the same way: hang on, try to get them on the break.

I’m not dead against this, (ok, I hate it but it can work) especially when we play superior teams. And anyway, Mourinho has made a career out of doing this, even when his teams are top. Let them attack, in more and more numbers, lull them, hit them on the break.

Remember watching a Chelsea-Arsenal game a couple years back. Arsenal were all over them the whole game! Score? 4-1… Chelsea.

• 30 cyprus // Aug 29, 2015 at 6:28 AM

Talking of which, when was the last time we ‘spanked’ a PL team? Is it the Sunderland game, that 5-1? (of course they’ve more than paid us back since: we’ve become their banked three pointer these days)

• 31 Average_Contents // Aug 29, 2015 at 7:03 AM

Stoke mate although they had two sent off and it’s a banked 6 points for the scum. Or was. I’ve a feeling we’ll do them this season and not before time.

I was at the 5-1 and it was one of the best days of my life mate (haven’t been back since because of fatty)

• 32 Charlietoon // Aug 29, 2015 at 7:05 AM

My only prediction for tomorrow is that Cisse wont play and we will move him out to some random club because he does not want to sit on the bench

• 33 Reyantoon // Aug 29, 2015 at 7:30 AM

Looking in to Arsenal squad,the most likely player who may launch a big threat to us today is Alexis Sanchez.If Anita and one of our defenders combine together well,they will put him in their pocket.No doubt Arsenal play the most attractive football in England but if McLaren setsup the team like last week,we can beat them.You cannot expect us to dominate the game when u play against a top 4 team.We just have to be a little smarter than the opponent to achieve a result.Ed’s teams selection in previous thread was spot on.But McLaren should change the tactic of providing long balls to Mitrovic,to head them to his teammates as he will get tired early on every time he jumps to head.It’s lunch time game,so expect a hot sun circling around his head.But expect Mitrovic to dominate winning high balls if Arsenal center backs are Chambers and Paulista 🙂

• 34 Ron Knee // Aug 29, 2015 at 7:47 AM

If we get off to our usual stuttering start we could be 2-0 down before we know it. On the other hand, morale should be reasonably high following our heroic draw and convincing win, albeit against lowly opposition.

There’s no question which is the superior team so a draw would be a good result for us.

• 35 OneAlanShearer // Aug 29, 2015 at 8:35 AM

We won’t make any signings. I worry we could still lose cisse and or sissoko.

• 36 geniusofthelamps // Aug 29, 2015 at 10:34 AM

why not play cisse and mitro. Aarons one side and Thauvin the other. press high up against Arsenal and dont let them play. they have problems at the back so lets have a good go at them in a 4-4-2 formation

• 37 Obertans_on_roids // Aug 29, 2015 at 1:18 PM

robbie savage is an absolute twat!

previous post: Poll: Newcastle Fans Hopeful Of Win Against Arsenal