McClaren Considering Appeal Against Mitrovic Red Card

Andre Marriner sent off Serbian International striker Aleksandar Mitrovic today after only 16 minutes and that was the game right there – and it was the second time in three league games we have had a player sent off in the first half of the game.

As Steve McClaren says it’s difficult to win PL games when you only have ten men on the field.

aleksandar mitovic recieved red card

Aleksandar Mitrovic getting red card

The 20 year-old Serbian will now miss three matches and we’ll have either Papiss Cisse or Ayoze Perez to come in – so art least we have good cover in that striker position this season.

This is what Steve McClaren said after the game about Mitrovic:

“He is gutted about that.¨ “He is a young player and has to learn. He’s a good player but I know him well.¨ “There is no intent in anything he wants to do – he just wants to win the ball.¨

“He is a winner.” “Very harsh.” “I hope I can appeal.¨ “No doubt we will lose it.¨ “We want to and I have looked it over and over.¨

¨You often get a lot of gauge on decisions from the players – and there was quite a few Arsenal players who seemed surprised.”

In fact the commentators on NBC Sports Network said Mitrovic will get a yellow card for that when it happened – they were wrong.

And at half time in the studio both analysts said it should have only been a yellow card, and added that the referee has ruined the game as a spectacle.

If Newcastle do appeal we have to be careful because if the FA considers the appeal frivolous,  they could put an extra game on the suspension – to four games.

It was not a malicious challenge at all in what Aleksandar did, it was just very clumsy – and hardly a straight red card – but we don’t think we would win an appeal..

And we know the referees don’t have to answer to anybody when they mess up – maybe Marriner will get a Championship game in two weeks time, after the International break.

The referee made the biggest play of the day today at St. James’ Park, and basically ensured Newcastle would lose – and there’s something very wrong when that happens in football.

And it made it that much easier for Arsenal to get the 3 points, although the Gunners still struggled to score playing against 10 men.

• Nufc-83

Aug 29, 2015 at 5:54 PM

Any team would struggle with 10 men against an arsenal side who keep possession for fun against 11. We will do ok this season as we are still lacking quality to be a threat to the top 8 but will be easily safe from relegation. Need a cabaye type of cm desperately.
    For next game I would go with Perez up top with thauvin and sissokho alongside him. Tell the team to get up the pitch no excuses now as we are playing West Ham.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 29, 2015 at 5:58 PM

Bobbybee,
    Always wit da drama, who is enjoying the defeat, I personally am gutted and very disappointing in Mitrovich when I rang up my mate to find out the result if you stop pretending to be so anti Mike Ashley yourself you might be a bit more believable with your drama.

• stuart no9

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:02 PM

Never seen anything yet that suggest we are Going to do well this season. 7 shots on goal all SeaSon . Been out classed in 3 games Can’t see any signs it’s going to get better

• Bambams

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:05 PM

Consider…..

It’s stone wall never a red !

No intent whatsoever and the Ref had a nightmare.

Three fouls by the Arsenal were just as bad as Colo but no card.

The ref was shocking

Imo

• WWSBRD

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:09 PM

Hmmm intent? Hmmmm very hard to tell

• geordieboy83

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:10 PM

Problem with the red card is
    It wasn’t a red to begin with.
    Had little old Walcott done a challenge of similar ilk there’s no chance in hell he would’ve been sent off. It’s an absolute farce. And coquelin imo deserves to be hit very hard in his next outing, jumping and rolling all over the place. He’s an embarrassment. And gini got booked for apparently waving an imaginary card? I’m sure alexis did the same thing in first 20 minutes so where was his yellow card

• cyprus

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:11 PM

Steve, appeal won’t work, though it should have been a yellow. If that were Rooney, a strict talking to 🙂

• Ron Knee

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:12 PM

Bobbybee
    We’re witnessing the results of years of mismanagement and under-investment. True, we’ve got three decent new players – and Nitro – but Ashley needs to do a lot more in this window. I can’t take comfort from two points from a possible twelve.

Do you think we’ll be able to beat West Ham?

• Bambams

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:12 PM

We would of had another hiding had circumstances been the same under the two previous egotistical head coaches

Imo

• TheToonKing

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:12 PM

do you remember when an appeal was actually won ? i don’t.

• JDdubai

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:12 PM

Whether its a red or yellow as soon as you go over the top of the ball and ur studs go down someones shin you run the risk of a sending off.

Mitrovic has brought his reputation by possibly getting sent off in 3 of the 4 games so far so he has to live with the consequences. For me he should be on the bench u til the team can trust him to behave and stay on the field. I think he will be a good player eventually but at the moment he is a liability.

Will this force the hand of the owner to go for Austin??

Otherwise the team battled well, think last season this would have been 4 or 5 nil. Just wish we would give ourselves the best choice to get a win, West Ham looks tricky now after their result today too.

• SPRINGY

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:15 PM

geordie
    if thats what gini got booked for ya ryt coz everytime sanchez went down he was waving the imaginary card…done my on last page and mentioned the way they went on all game utter disgrace

• Bambams

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:16 PM

Intent is easy to prove.

Look at the whole situation and the short time factor. He tries for the header, the ball is loose. He tries to control the ball but it moves. He did not have the time for any intent, it all flows and his eyes are looking for the ball. Once your foot is raised he brought it down. No change in direction, no deliberate intent.
    Yellow at worst.

• toon kk

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:17 PM

Considering disputing the red card? Of course it was a red. He should have two to his Newcastle career. The man needs to get his head sorted out.

• SPRINGY

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:19 PM

geordie
    done my review#…ooops

• Bambams

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:22 PM

JDDUBAI
    Fella he is 20 years old and trying to impress his club. His tackles in the past are strikers tackles. Coming off the bench and trying to impress. Over eager not violent.

Let’s judge him after a season not two ten minute appearances one league cup and a game against the Arsenal.

He is trying to live up to our number 9s…

Howay let’s give him some slack.
    If he is sent off in next ten games and it’s deserved I will wear donkey ears. It’s too early and not consistent ( mariner) to judge him

Let’s be patient and fair

Imo

• Thump

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:22 PM

@toon kk: Then why wasn’t Sissoko sent off for the same thing?

• Shadow_Shearer

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:24 PM

Haven’t seen it myself, but if gigi is booked for waving an imaginary card, im sure arsenal players deserve a booking for rolling around ten times, screaming in agony pretending to be injuried. Futher more arsenal players wave an imaginary card half a season!

• mickalfas

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:24 PM

If the style of football SM’s aiming for is to be played off the park and try and nick a goal here and there ,he’s a success in my eyes
    Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to say we were all over them today !!Whoever we were playing

• WWSBRD

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:24 PM

Bambams
    Hmm I disagree, only Mitrovic knows what he was intending on doing. He has previous, he tried to stamp on Neil Taylor

• toon kk

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:25 PM

Pardew on ssn saying he’s pleased to have a chairman at Palace that understands what he wants and the players he needs to take them forward. He didn’t have that luxury here.
    Having said that he shouldn’t have signed up to be a yes man for Ash

• Bambams

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:26 PM

Toon KK

Rarely I bite. Red card for that. ….
    You obviously have your opinion and I won’t disrespect that.
    I played at an excellent level in the past and on the pitch it was known as ” the ref bought it”
    He lasted the full game, he scraped his shin pads but still felt he had to roll on the floor.

No Sir that was not worthy of a red and the Arsenal player played the Ref

With respect.

• SPRINGY

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:27 PM

i mentioned a few weeks back that bigger clubs get away with pressurising the ref by constant moaning,diving and waving the “imaginary card”…but they are to spineless to book them….sanchez done it today there were 2 players dived for man utd which the ref seen coz he waved them pleas away…so if it was’nt a foul,why were’nt booked for simulation?…and why was’nt sanchez booked today for the “imaginary card” even tho the refs have stated they were going to…..coz they are spineless unfortunately

• martoon

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:27 PM

Arsenal are the most disgusting team I have ever seen – if they are touched they go down as they have been shot and as soon as the player gets a yellow card they jump up again with absolutely nothing wrong with them.
    The referee backed himself into a corner by the first card to Sissoko for merely out muscling the other player – from then onwards he produced a card for nearly every foul with no discretion whatsoever.

• Mag52

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:28 PM

For me, we’ll improve as the season progresses. I reckoned five points from the first eight games, and I still stick to that.
    It’s going to be a season of surprising results, as the lesser teams park the bus and hit on the break against the big boys. An effective tactic and one that seems to cause them problems. Ignore possession statistics, it’s results that count.

• anthc

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:28 PM

The ref was a disgrace coquelin could’ve had two yellows had the ref been consistent. He lost it when he booked sissoko for a nothing challenge 5 mins in. After mitrovic went I thought it was gonna be a painful afternoon but the lads performance made it an easier pill to swallow.
    I thought thauvin was really good today ran his socks off and beat a man or two with ease. Gini had a good game too. He had the knack for getting out of some tight spots when surrounded. All in all a drastic improvement from last season and hopefully we’ll get better.

• Bambams

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:30 PM

WWSBRD
    Fella I cannot give an account of what was in his head.
    I am experienced in what I do and my insight.
    I respect your opinion and would not dare challenge.
    For me the short timing and circumstances dictate.
    I will stick to this in the hope that the FA see sense.

Respect fella

• toon kk

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:30 PM

Thump
    Sissokos foul caught his foot, Mits came right down his shin, also Mits being watched by refs for the dirty player he is, and has actually confessed to by saying that hell kick players back.

• gaz 44

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:32 PM

Bambams couldn’t agree more, hit his pads and rolled around like been shot. All in one movement where his eyes don’t come off the ball.. Watched in a pub in Leeds and all Leeds fans I was with agreed yellow at worst.. These pundits saying at least ref was consistent .. Rubbish, gini yellow for imaginary card booked, Sanchez not… Sanchez not booked for a late challenge minutes late I think it was Anita who got one… Andre was dire today, very poor ref

• Shadow_Shearer

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:35 PM

Ten men newcastle showed bravery against twelve men arsenal

• SPRINGY

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:35 PM

gaz
    im sure its not the first time he been shite…..when i seen his name as ref….thought i dont like him for some reason….now i no why!…sure he’s stitched us up a few times now…not that i can remember like

• WWSBRD

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:37 PM

Bambams
    Am not having a go mate but I certainly dont think its as straight forward as u are making out. I think Mitrovic’s temperament has a very large question mark above it

It could of been a yellow today but his previous two yellows equally could of been red’s. The FA will stick with the decision because they are within their rights too and it can be seen as teaching a dangerous young player a lesson…which may not be a bad thing

• gaz 44

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:38 PM

I thought the same. Same ref that sent wrong arsenal player off that time aswel.. If these are the best the prem can get I worry

• SPRINGY

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:39 PM

if they appeal his red card,and it fails does he get an extra game ban?…whats the crack?

• Reyantoon

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:42 PM

We just played 4 games,two of which against a top four team,and some written off everything-
    unbelievable!!
    Our performance and spirit is still excellent.
    Mitrovic was unlucky today because for some ref’s,that was just yellow.Unfortunately,for today’s moron refree Mariner,happened to be red and ruined the taste of the game,no doubt about that.
    All our players performed very well with great commitment and fighting display.Wijnaldum today was absolute class.The best performance i ever saw from him since he signed for us.
    But my man of the match was Mbemba.
    Was superb today at the back,with beast and
    leadership character.Overall,haven’t dissappointed by the defeat or the tackles made because most of them were spot on.We will bounce back,without a doubt!!

• Bobbybee

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:43 PM

Jail for ashley, the biggest drama queen name you could possibly use. Ha, what a muppet. I didn’t mention names, but notice you went straight on the defensive, which, as they say, if the cap fits etc. I’ve been no Ashley fan in the past, but haven’t allowed him to dominate my life – unlike some, who’ve let it get to them in such a way it’s comical. You don’t support the toon, you just hate one man. You’re becoming irrelevant day by day. Ashley is not NUFC, he’s just another in the long list of owners who’ve took out more than put in. That said, he’s giving Macca another 100 million in the next two windows, so he’s seeing where he went wrong and is now trying to put it right. It’ll never be enough for the likes of you though, because as your name implies, you can’t change your stance. Bitter and twisted and unlikely to change. Like a dinosaur – and we all know how they worked out. You continue with your anti Ashley/anti Toon stance by all means, whilst the rest laugh at you. Away to watch the spurs game and have interest in what you have to say and never will. Boring.

• toon kk

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:44 PM

WWSBRD
    exactly, I think a lot of refs will be keeping a close eye on him all season.
    I still think he’s a dirty player. I thought Tiote liked picking up the cards but Mitrovic is showing us how to do it properly.

• SPRINGY

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:44 PM

a non football related question about something thats doing my heed in!…….on my samsung phone my search history has developed symbols appearing at the start of words and in between like this………nufcblog….any idea’s anyone how to shift it but its a pain in the arse and cant delete my history for some reason…..any help would be appreciated

• WWSBRD

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:48 PM

toon kk
    I am not convinced he is a dirty player yet but there are worrying signs thus far and if I was a ref I would be watching him

• SPRINGY

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:48 PM

bollicks has nt shown up!….arrow pointing left then the letter b then arrow pointing right…….im probs not using the right words for these symbols but hopefully use understand what im meaning!