Newcastle Must Get A Grip On Discipline

Last season it was injuries and lack of discipline that ravaged the Newcastle squad, and as well as suffering more injuries than any other side in the Premier League, we also lost players like Daryl Janmaat, Mike Williamson and Papiss Cisse, among others, because of their lack of control on the field.

Tim Krul saves from theo walcott

Tim Krul saving from Theo Walcott

And now in the first four league games of this season we have had two players sent off in the first half against two strong sides – Swansea and Arsenal – and that basically wiped out any chance we had in those two games – which we lost 2-0 and 1-0 respectively.

Against Arsenal today it was another wild tackle by Aleksandar Mitrovic, and while it looked to be a poor decision by referee Andre Marriner,  the slow motion videos do show that Aleksandar went in high with his boot just above the ankle.

If Newcastle do decide to appeal, we’re now sure it will be turned down.

So Aleksandar has picked up two yellow cards and one red card in his first four league games, and last week at Old Trafford was the only league game he went without getting a caution.

He already seems to a marked man with Premier League referees.

We also picked up six yellow cards today, so it seems the players need to get a  grip because because we cannot keep throwing games away by going down to 10 men.

Yes, it helps Newcastle supporters that we can blame referee Andre Marriner, who did not have a particularly good game – but if our players don’t get a grip quickly – how many sending offs will we have this season?

2 points from the first four games is not great, but the two games we lost we had a man sent off, and apart from the game at Swansea,  the team has looked good and the defense seems to be a vast improvement on last season.

It seems like the coaching of young Ian Cathro is already having an impact with the defense.

It will be important in the next few games to start picking up wins – and the only way we can do that is to have 11 men on the field.

Steve McClaren could take an honest look and see if our players are simply being too aggressive at times.

The truth is if we keep getting players sent off then we are being too aggressive.

It was another huge disappointment today, when we were reduced to 10 men after only 16 minutes, and now we have two weeks and two days before we play our next game at West Ham.

🙁

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Arsenal?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:10 PM

Both red cards were unnecessary and both cost us big time SM needs to curtail this Asaph, I wan to see p,ayers fighting for the side, but there are ways and means to do that without seeing the ref carding everything in sight

• Take a Chancel on me

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:20 PM

NOW ON MOTD

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:22 PM

Got to be honest, I’m still not sold on the Anita, Coldback partnership

• WWSBRD

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:23 PM

Walcott had a mare didn’t he

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:23 PM

Fcuking idiot

• WWSBRD

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:24 PM

JB
    That’s cos it’s not a very good partnership mate haha

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:24 PM

WWSBRD

Mate he couldn’t finish a sandwich, for all his pace he was woeful in front of goal

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:27 PM

WWSBRD

There’s no bite there, Anita is very neat and tidy on the ball and offers a good outlet but for me Coldback is not dominant enough, he works hard but never seems to impose himself the way we need

• Take a Chancel on me

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:28 PM

Martin Keown another biased barsteward

• WWSBRD

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:31 PM

Chancel
    Shame Shearer isn’t on really

JB
    I’d upgrade both though if it’s one or the other Colback for me keeps his place

• geordie157

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:34 PM

I like Anita and Colback but the two together doesn’t work. Needs to be one of them with either Sissoko or Wijnaldum alongside.

I’d still like to see this line up at some point

Krul
    Janmaat, Mbemba, Colo, Haidara
    Sissoko, Colback
    Wijnaldum, De Jong, Thauvin
    Mitrovic

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:34 PM

WWSBRD

I think a fit and on form Tiote keeps Coldback out of the side tbh, though forth life of me I can’t remember the last time we had him fit and on form

• WWSBRD

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:34 PM

Afellays red card is class

• Blackley and Brownlie

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:35 PM

Apart from not giving Arsenal a penalty, the ref had a decent game.

• Take a Chancel on me

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:36 PM

5 red cards in prem today, I think Afellay was the only one that going by the book is a red but even that was iffy

• WWSBRD

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:37 PM

JB
    I think a one legged Cabaye with a dicky tummy and a headache keeps Anita out if the team mate

• overtheline

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:38 PM

Looking again in HD I think Mitro did rake him down the shin and it was a studs offence which he could have pulled out of – so straight red.

I think the Gooners are Tom Daley double twiat and pike types but we should not be getting seven players carded in any match – so it is our own discipline that needs sorting.

• Belfast

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:39 PM

Charlie Adam meant his 100% one of the dirtiest players about.

• WWSBRD

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:39 PM

Chancel
    Adam knew what he was doing he is a dirty player

• Munster Mag

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:40 PM

Nasty stuff out of our lads. Micro is a dumb thug. Sissoko deserved yellow too. Stop the biased analysis guys. Steve needs to cope on. We look like a low ranking outfit because teams like palace ( pardew again proving guys here wrong) West ham Swansea etc have all moved on.Mitro has to help us by being less of a nasty dumb knacker

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:40 PM

Mark Hughes, always good at not giving a shyte for the refs hahaha

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:42 PM

WWSBRD

True mate, but Anita is just about the best that we currently have for that role, let’s hope that story about SM having £150 million to spend over the next few seasons is true aye

• Take a Chancel on me

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:43 PM

The way things are going the FA/FIFA are trying to make Football a non contact sport, if that’s the way the sport ends up I don’t want anything to do with it!

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:45 PM

Chancel

Going on some of the Reds today how the hell Huth stayed on is beyond me

• Take a Chancel on me

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:46 PM

JB you are right

• Sir Braveheart

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:46 PM

Definitely a red for Mitro. Sorry, but he could have pulled out of it. Unnecessary challenge, clumsy and foolish.

Mitro should be given instructions not to attempt a tackle ever again. We don’t need him to tackle, just to be a strong target man.

• Belfast

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:47 PM

The big Serb deserved his red all day long Munster. I think he’s a bit thick.

• WWSBRD

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:48 PM

JB
    …for 10 mill we could of had Cabs back haha

But aye for now it’s not a priority for the club to sort of Anita and Colback will do enough to keep us in the league and that’s what Ashley is after

• WWSBRD

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:49 PM

As for the 150 mill I don’t believe it for a second

• overtheline

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:49 PM

JB

Huth a def red !!

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:51 PM

WWSBRD

I wouldn’t take the striking Charlie back if he was on a free 😉

The £150 million story is true mate, didn’t you know old Mike has turned over a new leaf????

• Belfast

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:51 PM

I’m hoping we sign another striker to be honest hopefully Austin last minute. I won’t be holding my breath though.

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:52 PM

Overtheline

Without a doubt mate Huth should have gone

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:54 PM

Harry Kane playing more like Michael Cane of late

• WWSBRD

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:55 PM

JB
    I would without hesitation mate

After a couple years of this new leaf I might believe it

• jimmysmith

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:56 PM

Apart from two rash decisions resulting in two reds and a very tough start, we look a decent proposition, with good morale, shape and a willingness to play football. I think our season proper under McClaren starts now.

• Belfast

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:57 PM

Man Utd where willing to pay 40 million for him or something ridiculous like that. Probably be ringing them back before Tuesday lol

• gaz 44

Aug 30, 2015 at 12:05 AM

I’m still not having that as a red card. , maybe was rash but his eye line doesn’t change he follows the ball .. Looks worse in slow mo but your talking split seconds from mitro attempting to head the ball to trying to control it.. To control it he arcs his foot back to bring the ball down you can’t do that with the toes facing downwards,, the ref had it in for mitro from the start, never gave a free kick with kosneily had his arms all over him but gave one when mitro gave a little nudge. The main issue I have he has brought this on Himself in the first two games.. Like I said early if it was Walcott it probably wouldn’t be a yellow but as he already has a bad rep he’s gonna get them decisions going against him

• Munster Mag

Aug 30, 2015 at 12:13 AM

Gas I wanted to disagree with known but micro deserved it. We look a bottom 8 team but I have only seem motd, not Be live. We’ll be marked as a dirty team and micro marked out as a nutter.but he is and Steve did us no favours describing him publicly as he did a couple of weeks ago. This guy may not be playable if he can’t cop on.

• Munster Mag

Aug 30, 2015 at 12:17 AM

Belfast if micro was a rugbyplayer for a good team the coach and shrink wud have him nailed for his dumb attitude. He even looks like a plank. Naturally I will go gaga when he scores but this guy is looking like another Carr misguided hard on.