The Newcastle United Blog

News and Commentary On Newcastle United By Ed Harrison, A Proud Exiled Geordie And Lifelong Fan

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Breaking News – Tottenham Bid £15M For Newcastle Striker

10:04 pm, Monday, August 31st, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 39 Comments

The Mail is reporting that Tottenham are keen on signing 22 year-old Newcastle striker Ayoze Perez, who Newcastle signed only a year ago for around £1.4M from Tenerife, and the money Tottenham are supposed to be willing to pay out is a staggering £15M.

ayoze perez man united

Ayoze Perez – Tottenham bid £15M?

The report says it is not known what Newcastle’s reaction will be to a £15M bid for their young striker – but it’s very late in the transfer window, and Newcastle may not be able to get in a replacement – and why sell Perez in any case?

The news is that Tottenham contacted Newcastle over the weekend, and told the Magpies of their  intention to bid big for the 22 year-old Spaniard, and maybe that’s why, out of the blue, we seem to be linked with Hamburg striker Pierre-Michel Lasogga, who we were after last summer.

There’s no saying whether the Mail report is accurate, and it’s not unusual for these reports to come out close to the end of a transfer window, but the Mail is reporting Spurs think they can persuade the Spanish youngster to move to London.

Ayoze was a big success last season on Tyneside, and scored 7  goals in 39 appearances for Newcastle, and he has looked good and sharp this season  – and seems to be improving even over last season.

Newcastle would lose some credibility if we do sell Perez and don’t have time to replace him.

What we should be doing now is building up a good side – a good squad – and money from the Premier League will be rising next year when it increases by another 70% in the new three year deal – so there will be lots of money available for clubs who stay in the Premier League.

Newcastle got close to £80M from the PL last year for finishing 15th – and next season if we finish 10th we’d get close to £135M with the new three year deal – so making money on players becomes less necessary.

And what’s not so available are excellent young prospects like Perez, who will only get better, and he is also very happy at Newcastle, and the club gave him his big chance last year, and beat out clubs like Real Madrid and Barcelona to his signature.

He chose Newcastle because he wanted to play first team games – and it’s not clear he would get many of those at White Hart Lane.

This could just be a made-up story – since things were expected to be quiet at Newcastle through tomorrow night – but if it’s true it’s a real test of Mike Ashley.

And if the bid comes in we’ll see if Mike Ashley still values money over the playing squad.

Money shouldn’t be everything at Newcastle if we really want to win a trophy.

If this story has not truth to it, we wouldn’t be surprised if Newcastle release a statement to that effect.

What do you think?

Comments welcome.

Tags: Ayoze Perez · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

39 responses so far ↓

  • 1 Jail for Ashley // Aug 31, 2015 at 10:07 PM

    Ashley Out!

  • 2 Sazzer // Aug 31, 2015 at 10:07 PM

    Here is the Kemen confirmation:

  • 3 JackButler // Aug 31, 2015 at 10:08 PM

    Easiest way to kill off the optimism that’s been built up over the summer, spending is easy but turning down a massive profit for Ashkey is gonna be one hell of a test of the new approach

  • 4 Sazzer // Aug 31, 2015 at 10:09 PM

    Soccer sauce says nothing in the Perez deal.

  • 5 why oh why // Aug 31, 2015 at 10:09 PM

    If we can have Townsend and also buy Austin I don’t see why not

  • 6 AncientC // Aug 31, 2015 at 10:10 PM

    It does not look like McClaren is going to be playing anything other than a 4-2-3-1 anytime soon; so on that premise we may as well take £15 million for Perez (if in the unlikely scenario it is true).

    Perez cannot play as an isolated striker, nor is he suited to a team that is incapable of possession football.

  • 7 beermonkey // Aug 31, 2015 at 10:10 PM

    they wont take 15mill

    spurs are desperate if Austin was all that surly they would have gone there first

  • 8 JackButler // Aug 31, 2015 at 10:11 PM

    Why oh why

    He’s one the best players we have that’s why

  • 9 Our Toon // Aug 31, 2015 at 10:11 PM

    Kemen gone, Perez rumours….youngsters who should be here and could gave a big future here being flogged or possibly flogged….shocking!!

  • 10 WWSBRD // Aug 31, 2015 at 10:14 PM

    1 mill turned into 15 mill in 1 season…..everyone getting that Ashley feeling now?

    Come on though hes changed, dont we all remember that 2 minute interview? Haha be a shame to lose Perez so early though

  • 11 Thump // Aug 31, 2015 at 10:14 PM

    Nope, he’s worth a lot more, and I think even Ashley can see that.

  • 12 Sazzer // Aug 31, 2015 at 10:15 PM

    Lee Ryder ?@lee_ryder
    Told #nufc have “no intention” of selling Ayoze Perez. Club have confirmed #thfc link is “total rubbish”

  • 13 welshgeordie9 // Aug 31, 2015 at 10:15 PM

    Perez won’t be going anywhere, i will also bet anyone that no one will be coming in either, anyone up for a bet.

  • 14 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 31, 2015 at 10:17 PM

    I hope there is nout in these Perez stories!

    Bad news that if it’s true.

  • 15 sing in the corner // Aug 31, 2015 at 10:18 PM

    NUFC – do NOT undo the good work done since the end of last season by selling Ayoze…!!

  • 16 switch365 // Aug 31, 2015 at 10:19 PM

    All players are for sale, it’s just a question of how much they will cost.
    £13.6m would be one hell of a profit, there’s no denying it, but surely Ayoze falls into the category of the kind of players McC is after.
    And at the end of the day, unlike the past regime, I believe McC will be the deciding factor on whether or not bids are accepted.

  • 17 WWSBRD // Aug 31, 2015 at 10:20 PM

    I think u are dreaming if U think McClaren has a real say on transfers bud, hes a head coach remember not the manager

  • 18 JackButler // Aug 31, 2015 at 10:21 PM

    The next twenty hours or so are gonna produce more BS than sports direct board meeting.

    Think I’ll just turn everything off and have a long lay down

  • 19 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Aug 31, 2015 at 10:22 PM

    Next twenty four hours their will be a lot of Sh*t stirring from the southern/manchester press and agents.

  • 20 overtheline // Aug 31, 2015 at 10:23 PM

    IF he develops as well this season he’ll be worth £25m next year.

  • 21 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 31, 2015 at 10:23 PM

    Austin will be here tomorrow

  • 22 BandB // Aug 31, 2015 at 10:25 PM

    Don’t worry lads.
    Mike has withdrawn remember, and the football board would make this this call.
    Obviously, football people will put football considerations above profit.

  • 23 welshgeordie9 // Aug 31, 2015 at 10:26 PM

    As long as no one leaves tomorrow i be happy, be glad when the transfer window shuts. I hate to be the Everton boss or west broms boss tomorrow.

  • 24 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 31, 2015 at 10:27 PM

    The only thing that is making me think this is just sh1te is the 15 mil offer.

    Surely Spurs would test the water first with an offer of around 7-8 mil.

    Looking forward to enjoying my week off and spending tomorrow glued to the TV. Love a bit of transfer deadline day.

  • 25 welshgeordie9 // Aug 31, 2015 at 10:27 PM

    Take a Chancel on me

    Do you want to put money on that mate.

  • 26 WWSBRD // Aug 31, 2015 at 10:29 PM

    Fingers crossed buddy

  • 27 toonking // Aug 31, 2015 at 10:31 PM

    I might be still wanting a striker to be bought by the club but by striker I mean a one who’ll always pose that threat infront of goal even by hiself, 4-4-2 has went out of fasion, the new formation of most teams is 4-2-3-1 that consists of 1 great striker along side 2 or 3 fast and goal scoring midfielders, it might sound defensive but even top teams such as manure and chelski use this system.

    non of the current strikers have that capability in them.

    perez- got the movement but has difficulty breaking through the defenders to take that shot on goal.
    cisse- goal scorer but need others to control that ball, a 4-4-2 playing along side a power house and ball controller like shola is where works best as we saw when first arrived and had ba controlling those balls.

    rivere-so far no capable signs of playing alone.

    mitrovic might become this new striker who can do that but we don’t know.

  • 28 Take a Chancel on me // Aug 31, 2015 at 10:32 PM

    I put a bet on yesterday and we were 25/1 to sign Charlie, now we are 9/1

  • 29 toonking // Aug 31, 2015 at 10:32 PM

    so i’m not that fussed if perez leaves, i’d prefer to keep cisse because atleast he’ll score the goals from that occassion support from midfield

  • 30 welshgeordie9 // Aug 31, 2015 at 10:35 PM

    How can you put a headline Breaking News Tottenham bid £15 million for Newcastle striker when there’s nothing on sky sports news, if it was breaking news it would be now.

  • 31 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 31, 2015 at 10:37 PM

    We better not lose Cisse and Perez tomorrow and then bring that dinky Lasogga lad in.

  • 32 Lindisfarne // Aug 31, 2015 at 10:43 PM

    As well as not having many shots, the team is also guilty of conceding more shots than every other team in the league. The Defence may appear to be more organised and resolute, but in fact we are in 6th place for the highest number of goals against (inc. GF). As we have played three of the top four shooting teams, this may well be due to the calibre of the oppositions attacking strength rather than a defensive deficiency and we must be both grateful to not to have conceded more goals and thankful for some woeful shooting. A problem still exists at either end of the pitch, leaving the midfield stretched between attempting to cover the defence and provide the supply to the forwards. Inevitably this has lead to the team losing possession more often, a low number of corners and inevitably giving away more free kicks.

    McClaren stated that he wanted the team to be 10 yards further up the pitch which may prove helpful at keeping the ball better, but this plan has not actually come to fruition during matches. I wonder if retaining the aging Captain and maintaining him in the starting line up is actually a cause of the problems the team faces, rather than a Renaissance of supreme defensive ability that has never existed in the Argentinean. As a Leader, Colliccini has never really been an outstanding performer in the team, or in comparison to other PL Defenders and presumably sets the bar by which the rest of the team play. In the game against ManU which was his best rated this season, he did not make the highest contribution in any of the defensive skills or in comparison with the other defenders he was not the boldest getting on the ball and moving it forward.

    In the same way that ManU are lumbered with potentially always having to select their Captain to play despite his form, I hope that McClarens decision to retain Colloccini has a more positive effect of continual overall improvement. Otherwise, unless he disappears for his usual mid-season holiday, we are lumbered with a progressively limited player, a fragile defensive line and essentially a midfield burdened with the primary purpose of providing cover. I wonder what the cost of retaining the South American has been to the club during his time here and if he has provided value for money, pound for pound, to the first team?

  • 33 awb83 // Aug 31, 2015 at 11:00 PM

    Have they put in a bid or not? Your headline says they have but it says no such thing in the article or in any report, anywhere.

  • 34 JackButler // Aug 31, 2015 at 11:26 PM

    Man Utd screw up De Gea deal and he has to stay with them – two but outfit

  • 35 OneAlanShearer // Aug 31, 2015 at 11:31 PM

    So rumours start a fans favourite is in danger of leaving and then the club calls it rubbish…A cynical person might think someone was hiding the fact we are making no more signings behind this non story.

  • 36 BeeGuy // Aug 31, 2015 at 11:33 PM

    If NUFC is going to play 4-2-3-1 then lets have Wini & Sissiko doing the 2 positions. (Obertan & Tioite as back-ups) that will allow the talent to see the ball in the attacking half of the pitch occasionally.

  • 37 Sivarese // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:48 AM

    So by ‘Tottenham bid £15 million for Newcastle striker’ you mean Tottenham have not bid £15 million for any Newcastle striker. Here are a few more deliberately misleading headlines to lead with:

    • Newcastle sign Messi

    • Juve bid £80 million for Colback to replace Pirlo

    • Real Madrid in shock move for Williamson

    Clearly the story is a smokescreen to push Berahino’s transfer through.

  • 38 geniusofthelamps // Sep 1, 2015 at 9:17 AM

    I would take 15m foe him if we guarenteed a 20 goal PL striker in his place. Asley doesnt run the club he just owns it so decisions on transfers arent made by him but by the board and McClaren suts on that so would have a say but not the final one

  • 39 mactoon // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:16 PM

    The sensible approach would have been accept the £15 million and use it to get Austin, a proven English goalscorer but as McClaren plays with 1 up front and Mitrovic seems to be the one chosen what would be the point? May as well develop Perez as he seems to be a golden nugget and could turn into an absolutely brilliant player in a couple of seasons

previous post: Steve McClaren Explains The Team He Wants At Newcastle

next post: Newcastle Agree To Transfer Deal