Steve McClaren has reiterated that he doesn’t expect any new players to come through the door, and that it would be a surprise if we signed somebody before Tuesday night.
And Steve added – you cannot discount surprises happening in football.
Steve McClaren looks bemused on Saturday
With the defense so far looking a lot better than last season – it’s been our weakness for three years – the urgency of signing a defender before the window closes tomorrow night, has lessened a little bit.
The doubt seems to be with Papiss Cisse, and if the Senegal striker is allowed to leave in the next day, we must bring in a good replacement for the 30 year-old.
We expect Steve McClaren to be talking to Cisse today after what his agent and the player himself have said over the weekend, about possibly wanting away from Newcastle, because he has lost his first team starting position.
Steve was asked if Newcastle were finished in the transfer window this summer, and this is what he said:
“I think so, unless there is a surprise, which we cannot discount in football.”“We are happy with what we have now.”
Newcastle have a decent squad, and wants the smoke clears on Tuesday night, it will probably be a relief for Steve and his coaching staff – and he will know what the squad is – at least through the end of this year.
Newcastle say they will be active in the transfer window in January, although it’s always difficult to get good players in half way through the season.
But maybe there will be a free agent or two we want to bring in before their contract runs out next summer?
If there are no surprises and we don’t loose any good players before tomorrow night, we should be in decent shape for the first half of the season, and the goal will be to get some wins on the board – quickly.
Last year at this time we lost Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa to Roma and Ben Arfa to Hull City – both being loans for the season.