There are various reports coming out of France that Newcastle have agreed to sell their 19 year-old midfielder Olivier Kemen to Lyon after transfer terms were agreed.
Olivier had become disenchanted at Newcastle,because of his inability to break into the first team squad, and there was news in the last day or two that he may be signing for Monaco.
Olivier Kemen on the bench against Borussia Monchengladbach
Last month his agent was talking with AC Milan about a possible deal, with other clubs such as Monaco, Liverpool an Spurs also said to be interested.
L’Equipe are reporting the two clubs agreed the deal over the weekend, and we suppose Olivier could be in Lyon today undergoing his medical, before the deal is officially announced.
Newcastle signed Olivier two years ago from Metz when he was just 16 years-old, and we think this is a mistake to let the youngster leave Newcastle so quickly.
He could have been sent out on loan to a lower league club in England to give him some playing time, as we did with two other teenagers at the club – Adam Armstrong and Freddie Woodman.
The transfer window closes in France today – and the deal is said to have been brokered for around £500K – peanuts.
Update: Olivier last night took to his Twitter account to announce he had signed for Lyon.
Officiellement joueur de Lyon ?? vraiment très content de signer dans ce grand club pic.twitter.com/sxflI7UjzT
— pablo olivier kemen (@Kemen92) August 31, 2015
It says Officially Lyon player – really happy to sign (for) this great club.
For whatever reason, Newcastle have not been able to persuade the youngster that his future lies on Tyneside.
We are sorry to see him leave, and of course we wish Olivier all the very best in what could be a very stellar career in football.