Charlie Austin Saga Ends But Newcastle Could Still Sign Him

Charlie Austin has said he will be staying at QPR for the season and will see out the one year left on his contract, which means he will become a free agent next summer, unless QPR can get the striker to sign a new contract at the club.

This will leave Newcastle presumably still interested in getting Charlie,  either in January at a knockdown price or next summer as a free agent.

So it’s possible that Newcastle – just like the FBI – could still get their man.

Charlie Austin +Charlton+Athletic+v+Queens+lrLNrpMl4Cxl

Charlie Austin – saga comes to an end just hours before window closes

Newcastle refused to pay the hefty price of £15M put on the player by QPR Director of Football Les Ferdinand, after Charlie did well last season, scoring 16 goals in the Premier League for a struggling side.

Newcastle and other clubs will now be watching what happens with Charlie this season, and whether he signs a new deal to stay in London at Loftus Road.

If he doesn’t,  there’s no reason why Newcastle cannot go back in and sign him either as a free agent or at a much reduced fee in January.

This could turn out to be a similar situation to Bafe Gomis, when we were willing to pay £9M for him two years ago, but he stayed on at Lyon to see out the one year left on his contract.

But when he was a free agent last summer,  it was Swansea who signed him, with Newcastle presumably not interested.

Bafe is now starting to score some goals at Swansea, and he now looks like a very good player in the Premier League.

Not sure whey we didn’t try to sign him last summer if Joe Kinnear was willing to pay out £9M a year earlier.

Newcastle have also reportedly been in contact with Hamburg about the possibility of signing striker Pierre-Michel Lasogga, who was a target for us last summer.

Lasogga could either be signed permanently or come on loan either in January or next summer.

• JackButler

Sep 1, 2015 at 4:58 PM

Ed, just let it go, he’s not coming here, we all know you have a serious soft spot for the lad but its just not meant to be…………..!

😀

• Rotonda heights

Sep 1, 2015 at 5:06 PM

fair play ed. you just never give up.

• deeps

Sep 1, 2015 at 5:09 PM

ED is a big fan of John Cena
    Never GIVE UP ???

• jprice

Sep 1, 2015 at 5:10 PM

“Could still get THEIR man” erm im pretty sure hes not YOUR man. I think yous need to hurry up and get over him. Plenty of other talented strikers out there.

• Bambams

Sep 1, 2015 at 5:11 PM

I am chuffed about Vuckic. I hope he has a cracking season and we get to have a look at him.
    I know there are some on here do not rate him, I just want to see the lad given a fair crack which is obviously what Mac is doing. Well done.
    Good luck fella

• MacToon

Sep 1, 2015 at 5:18 PM

A lot of drama up and down the country and we’re missing out on it all.
    Berahino’s certainly not happy at WBA.

Has anyone got a list of our current 25 man squad for the season?

• Jib

Sep 1, 2015 at 5:20 PM

I thought it was the Mounties that always got their man.

• Blaydon-Toon

Sep 1, 2015 at 5:21 PM

Bambams I’m not a fan of Vukic myself if he was going to be anywhere near a starter for Newcastle he should have made an impression by now – too slow and not brave enough for a big lad

• Shearer.Milburn

Sep 1, 2015 at 5:23 PM

Seriously ED… Just let it go already!!!

• TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa

Sep 1, 2015 at 5:25 PM

mackms got yedlin!!!! wtf. we coud use him.

• JamesToon

Sep 1, 2015 at 5:28 PM

i agree tacoflavouredkisses, yedlin is a good player absolutely rapid. They’ve actually got a decent team now apart from the defence, m’vila, lens, defoe, borini. Worried about derby day…

• Toon-Prodigy

Sep 1, 2015 at 5:45 PM

Got to be happy if there is no major outgoings here. The bench looks strong to me. Top 8? Time will tell.

Austin in January and Cisse away. They should of made money on him this window though we will get even less in January. I have a feeling they were hoping the Turkish outfit were going to get him last night but they wouldn’t meet the 6 mil valuation in the end.

• Tsunki

Sep 1, 2015 at 5:52 PM

Just like a comfy pair of old slippers. Eds security blanket. And even though the transfer windows fading into the mist you never know, Ed, you could still squeeze in a ‘ if only we signed Charlie Austin’ article. For old times sake. 🙂

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Sep 1, 2015 at 5:53 PM

Still think we are light at the back. Two players missing, and we are in deep sh1te imo.

• Ibizatoon

Sep 1, 2015 at 5:53 PM

Prodigy…If our valuation of Cisse was £6m, I’m really happy he’s still here.

Whatever peoples views on him are, it cannot be denied that he has managed to score goals, even when the team hasn’t functioned. £6m is nothing for that type of player in the PL.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Sep 1, 2015 at 5:56 PM

All our competitors, already ahead of us in the race, are bolting horses to carts …

• stretchintoon

Sep 1, 2015 at 5:57 PM

would like to of seen us at least make a bid for van djik,11.5 mill to everton….he would of been agreat signing imo.

• beermonkey

Sep 1, 2015 at 5:57 PM

west ham get song onloan again
    scum get yedlin
    could have used both of them

and if man u wanted a striker that had not scored a lot and payed 36mill for could we not have flogged them rivi on the cheap say 25 mill

• Tsunki

Sep 1, 2015 at 5:58 PM

Blackley you sadly underestimated Ed by an hour and four minutes. Shame on you for doubting. :). No mention of the hapless gawping buffoon carver or his wit – free bumpkin minions though. Curious.

• geordie157

Sep 1, 2015 at 5:59 PM

So gouffran stays,to be fair he might have some use as a squad player.

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Sep 1, 2015 at 6:00 PM

Bonggggggg

• Tsunki

Sep 1, 2015 at 6:00 PM

Ibiza – Cisse’s stock has gone down due to little more than injury and lack of game time. Imo he’s still the only proven striker at this club.

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Sep 1, 2015 at 6:00 PM

X six

• Blackley and Brownlie

Sep 1, 2015 at 6:01 PM

Michael Hector? Has Carr seen him and not fancied him? There are some very decent players in the Championship. I don’t understand why we don’t shop there.

• Toon-Prodigy

Sep 1, 2015 at 6:02 PM

Ibiza,

I just felt the time was right to cash in on the lad at 30. I don’t doubt he can finish given the right service. I did want him out though and Austin brought in I thought the timing was perfect for the swap this window.

But on the bright side we still have all our players and that can only be a good thing going into the rest of the season. 50 mil spend, no top players leaving, I can’t grumble at that. The bench lately has looked the best in years to me. Im quite optimistic for a decent season here now.

I just hope Ashley dosn’t pull a stunt in January and derail the campaign. I think we should only be looking at shifting the dead wood and building on what we have now. It does look good going forward though after finally spending some money and not losing any of our better players in the squad.

• Tsunki

Sep 1, 2015 at 6:02 PM

Geordie 157 yes to be fair, Goofy staying relieves nufc of the legal implications of using an extinguisher to hold open those nuisance fire doors at the training centre.

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Sep 1, 2015 at 6:03 PM

Berahino has knacked himself, hasn’t he? Ok, he wants a bigger club than WBA, but thats no way to treat the club that has brought you on, even he he is blaming the chairman, he is still making the team and fans suffer.

• Jib

Sep 1, 2015 at 6:03 PM

I don’t know why,
    I can’t give a reason for it.
    But I believe the rumour that the club tried for Austin with Cissé plus cash.

• Tsunki

Sep 1, 2015 at 6:03 PM

Blackley probs because we’d end up with a championship side?

• Ibizatoon

Sep 1, 2015 at 6:04 PM

Tsunki…That’s fair enough. Rivi has proven something. It’s not that he’s a striker yet!

Would have been madness to let him go imo.

So, it’s all over? Champagne on ice and party poppers at the ready for nothing?

Well, there were no big player sales.

The questions is (for me, anyway), if this was the window we’ve all been waiting for, was it worth falling so far behind for?

The club can talk about 3 windows, but isn’t that what most PL clubs do? Assess their squad each window and look to improve?

Not sure we’ve done enough overall.

• MacToon

Sep 1, 2015 at 6:05 PM

Made our own luck? I don’t think so.

We have bought well, mainly, but so have many rivals.
    The club has at least spent some of the money that’s been accumulated but it doesn’t necessarily mean we’re automatic for top 10 finish.

I predict a predictable 8 – 14th position finish. That seems to be the club’s aim, yet again.

• Tsunki

Sep 1, 2015 at 6:05 PM

Berthing needs to be a bit bigger himself first. Ok he’s a talent, but there’s a bit of sanding and glossing to do there. Agents are responsible for trying too hard to cash in before the development is there imo.

• Tsunki

Sep 1, 2015 at 6:06 PM

Yes Ibiza, a shame. Jelly doesn’t keep.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Sep 1, 2015 at 6:07 PM

Tsunki
    I posted a little satirical teaser five minutes ago but it’s disappeared in the ether. I can’t believe it would be pulled. It was just a spoof for a laugh. I hope I’m not treading on sensitivities. I always enjoy laughing at myself. Cathartic I find.

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Sep 1, 2015 at 6:07 PM

Nowt like a strong berthing 😀

• Tsunki

Sep 1, 2015 at 6:08 PM

Yes, Berthing. Hmmm.

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Sep 1, 2015 at 6:08 PM

Noce to see Gutz get a club. I might see if I can catch some of his games.

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Sep 1, 2015 at 6:08 PM

Noce = nice

• Blackley and Brownlie

Sep 1, 2015 at 6:08 PM

Tsunki
    Do we end up with a French Ligue 1 side or a Spanish league 2 side because we shop there?

• Tsunki