The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Formally Announce Haris Vuckic Deal

6:56 pm, Tuesday, September 1st, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 125 Comments

Newcastle have just announced that 23 year-old Haris Vuckic will be staying at Newcastle for another year with this contact being extended until the summer of 2017.

The club also announced Haris will be going on a season long loan to Wigan where he will be playing for former Newcastle defender Gary Caldwell.

Haris Vuckic on loan at Glasgow Rangers last season

This is what Newcastle put up on their web-site.

Slovenian forward Haris Vuckic has joined League One side Wigan Athletic on loan until the end of the season after signing a one-year contract extension with Newcastle United.

The 23 year-old has agreed terms to remain with the Magpies until the end of the 2016/17 season but will spend the 2015/16 campaign on loan at the DW Stadium, including any potential play-off fixtures for the Latics.

Vuckic joined Newcastle United from Slovenian PrvaLiga side NK Domzale in January 2009 and has made 20 senior appearances in all competitions during his time at St. James’ Park, scoring once.

Capped once at full international level, he has previously spent time on loan with Cardiff City in 2012, Rotherham United during the 2013/14 campaign and Glasgow Rangers last season.

Haris has been given another chance to show what he can do at Wigan – and we wish him the best of luck and hope he has a great season with the Latics.

Are You Satisfied With This Transfer Window?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Business · Contracts · Haris Vuckic · Loan Moves · Newcastle News · Premier League

125 responses so far ↓

• 1 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Sep 1, 2015 at 6:58 PM

Well cock-a-doodle-doo and flibetty jibbet. Paint me puce and insert rabbits in my lungs.

• 2 JDdubai // Sep 1, 2015 at 6:59 PM

Voted yes

4 potentially huge players signed
    No one sold
    New coaching setup

Yes we need further investment in Jan and next summer, especially in defence and attack, but as stage 1 of the 3 window plan then i think we are in a better position now than we expected in May.

• 3 Fatman_joe // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:00 PM

Can’t be satisfied with the window until all the fringe players are off. At least three should be sold which would be enough to bring in a decent defender.

• 4 SUTTY1978 // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:00 PM

Sep 1, 2015 at 6:59 PM

As the first of three big spending transfer windows, i’m happy. Taken as a window in isolation, not so much. At least this time we have some promise that there will be more signings to come both in Jan and next summer. Previously we have been left with signing free barren spells.
    First XI replacements required for Colo, Anita & Colback in Jan and we go from there

• 5 Jail for Ashley // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:02 PM

Anybody see sack llambias post earlier, “mashers”, “fatso”, “snidey yes man”, now who uses those terms I wonder, I think the multiple is up to his tricks again !

• 6 LGFUAD21 // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:03 PM

Would rather have the fringe players as just that then only have 1 starting 11.

Our strongest 11 last season will likely be our cup squad this year. That signals we’ve improved to me.

We played two tough fixtures without conceding. Now time to put the pieces together and get it working together.

• 7 Jail for Ashley // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:04 PM

As for being satisfied with the window, well the fat man has spent 50M so fair play to hm, certainly can’t grumble with that, just can’t understand why a defence that has leaked 60 goals in its previous season only had a 20 year old kid with no PL experience added to it.

• 8 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:05 PM

Only the man u game was a clean sheet.

• 9 Fatman_joe // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:07 PM

It’s good to have a decent squad but there are some (Marv) that won’t ever contribute so what’s the point in having them?

• 10 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:08 PM

Yeah, i would have liked a CB, since both full backs are covered by players I consider better as CBs (Mbemba and Dummet).

• 11 Belfast // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:08 PM

Nope. Probably spent enough for last seasons relegation fodder to finish mid table this season.

Although an injury crisis and mid table could become relegation fodder once more.

Keeping Cisse fit will be key. Don’t see where the goals are coming from otherwise.

Wini and Mbemba look the part and Thauvin has shown some early promise, but the Serbian bloke looks a pony to me. Sorry

• 12 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:09 PM

Is Marv still on the books? Not heard owt from him in months

• 13 mactoon // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:11 PM

I voted yes.. but with reservations. Mainly due to Mitrovic not settling in after the games he has played, 2 yellows and 1 red is worrying, but at least we have retained Cisse who is prolific. Mbemba, Wijnaldum and Thauvin seem outstanding and have hit the ground running but I would have been much happier if we had signed another centre half. Overall: 70/100 for tis window. Hopefully any problems can be revisited in January.

• 14 hibbit // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:12 PM

disappointed the main problems were not addressed by january we could be in big trouble back four is made up of poor quality lack of cover and lack of hight this is just another false dawn

• 15 Ketsbaia9 // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:14 PM

It looks like ourselves and Man Utd could get relegated this season. We haven’t signed enough and we’ve sold our best players in Cabella and Abeid.

Santon and Kemen should still be at the club. Kemen will be the new Pogba.

£1.5m for Abied is a joke when championship club are signing Bradley Johnson for £6m.

We should’ve sold Dummett for £8m. I’d even accept £1.5m for him. He’s pathetic. Santon is much better and we sold him for £2.5m. The clubs a disgrace.

We could’ve got £20m for selling Dummett, Obertan, Gouffran and Williamson. Colback can go as well. That’s 5 that definitely shouldn’t be here. Lascelles is useless.

• 16 Fatman_joe // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:18 PM

Kets, I haven’t been on here for months but you’re still talking nonsense I see.

• 17 Ketsbaia9 // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:21 PM

Keeping Marveaux is the only positive thing.

• 18 totsy // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:21 PM

I’m relatively new to your drivel, so i am going to assume that your post laced with sarcasm and humour.

I particularly enjoyed the part where you said “we’ve sold our best players in Cabella and Abeid.”. Bravo

• 19 Krul To Be Kind // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:22 PM

Kets me aul’ China

You, my friend, are as mad as a box of frogs, nothing like a curveball post!

Keep it up chap, frightfully entertaining!

• 20 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:22 PM

Blackley’s deadline day verdict
    In 40 plus years of following Newcastle, I always look first at the striker department. Who is the No 9 to guarantee you 15 to 20 goals? Verdict: £50m spent and we haven’t got an in-form striker. I wouldn’t be surprised if we have to recall Armstrong because of injuries, suspensions or just lack of form. I just hope I’m worrying unnecessarily and Graham Carr has got this right.

The defence is still pants. Mbemba is a good addition but Colo is a liability. I predict Makro will promote Dummett at some point. We need three quality defenders unless Janmaat and Haidara can very much up their games.

I worry about relegation and predict a bottom half finish. Winners of the trap door cup perhaps. It will all turn on whether Mitrovic comes good. If he plays well the team will. All I know about this kid is what I’ve seen. He’s very young and looks raw. So far he’s been slow and lumbering and a yard off the pace. Why? He hasn’t been injured.

We will top the injury charts again no doubt. We always do.

• 21 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:22 PM

A most definite NO.

I think we might rue not getting a good CB unless Good turns out to be very good along with Lascelles who could turn out to be good as well.

The strike force will probably be ok but only if they are not having to track back all of the time to help the defence out which isn’t good.

I’m actually pleased we kept Williamson it could be a good thing as well once injuries and the inevitable suspensions crop up.

• 22 Ketsbaia9 // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:23 PM

We need 6 new players. Raphael Guerriero, centre back, Clement Grenier, Rolan, Rod Fanni, Andros Townsend.

• 23 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:23 PM

Mark…I believe Marv is timely injured 😉

What about Bigi? Is he still here and why?

• 24 GeordieTwo // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:24 PM

19th place in the standings clearly shows the rebuild has been a complete success! Huzzah!!!!

• 25 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:24 PM

It used to be funny, but you dileberate talking up of sh1te players, and ignorance of the home grown tule is boring. Get some new material, for fcuks sake.

• 26 GeordieTwo // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:24 PM

We need ketsy to come down off his latest reefer high!

• 27 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:25 PM

Your* rule*

• 28 Belfast // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:25 PM

One more Austin article for old times sake Ed? You know you want too.

• 29 GeordieTwo // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:25 PM

We’re in complete control of our own density now! Today 19th, two weeks from now 20th!!!! Huzzah!!!

• 30 rororolando // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:26 PM

Just thought of a song for Aarons to hopefully kick some sense into him.

Ro ro rolando
    Play him on the wing
    He tried to cross, he scored a goal
    Now hear the Geordies sing

Quite clearly to the popular tune “row your boat”

• 31 GeordieTwo // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:26 PM

With continuing red cards from Mito we’ll be in the driver’s seat in no time!!!

• 32 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:27 PM

Bigi is still here. Not sure why he wasn’t looked at a bit more. Maybe SM will give him a chance.

• 33 Krul To Be Kind // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:28 PM

I’m really wanting Sissoko to play DCM where he played before we signed him and I believe he still has this role with his National side?

I just can’t help thinking that his lung bursting power runs from deeper would help us break better linking up mid to attack and having either Anita or Colback beside him to do the donkey work and give him the ball.

IMO the issue we have is the transition from defense to attack is not smooth at all, actually bordering on lethargic.

If he goes DCM then the AMR in a 4231 comes up for grabs to further the progression of both Ayoze and Aarons (Perez was scouted as an attacking wide man) who have both got far superior attacking abilities than Sissoko.

• 34 GeordieTwo // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:29 PM

All in jest mates. We’ll be better later in the season. I see a strong top 15 finish (ie. we’ll finish 14th or 15th lads).

• 35 Ketsbaia9 // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:29 PM

Watch them shine. I’m never wrong.

• 36 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:30 PM

Yep, you are never wrong…..apart from all the times you are wrong, of course.

• 37 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:31 PM

Mark…has the kid even played a single game since SM came on board?

• 38 Transfer Sage // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:31 PM

Well for me it’s been a very disappointing transfer window, given what Ashley said last game of the season.

To start off with we brought in an average manager, nothing special. A bloke who did reasonably well with Boro and Twente but has pretty much performed below par everywhere else.

In terms of players it’s good we haven’t let any of the better ones leave which makes a nice change, shame we couldn’t shift a bit more of the deadwood but that’s probably down to us not buying cover.

We have bought good, promising, young lads but again nobody who is in their prime with experience (especially in the prem league) and as such as the season goes on I feel we might struggle.

The 4 main players we bought look good so far but it’s hard to judge yet until we see them more regularly.

However we haven’t really added any pace into the forward line which is the main thing I believe we are lacking and have been lacking for quite some time.

Overall looking at our signings, in comparison with how many other clubs in the league have spent their new TV money I think we will have to play exceptionally well to get top 10 and as such I revise my expectations for a finish between 12-14th.

• 39 canuckmag // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:32 PM

Voted No. Can’t understand why we didn’t strengthen with a commanding centre back, I am worried that we are a couple of injuries away from a relegation scrap. Can’t fault spending 50 million but let’s hope Schteve knows what he is doing.

• 40 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:32 PM

I would want Sissoko to improve on his passing and tackling if he was going to be a DMC in the prem. Not saying he cant do it, like. Quite a few of our players lost form and a bit of spark in recent times.

• 41 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:35 PM

Not that I can remember. Still doesn’t mean he wont, though. I get the impression all these wonderful young talents Pardew thought we might have were slightly under cooked, so maybe he will run him in the reserves.

I am willing to see what SM does now that the squad is set for the next 6 months, even though i still think it is weak.

• 42 sing in the corner // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:36 PM

Pleased the club have decided to wait and see a bit longer with Vuckic. I suspect people likening him in terms of ability / potential to Gouff, Obertan haven’t seen him play and are basing this on his not having broken through despite being at the club as long time. He’s got a good touch, a great left foot on him and I can totally understand him being given time to establish himself in 1st team football at a higher level in this country after a successful spell in Scotland. If he bombs, fair enough,but it’d be foolish to release him without knowing,

• 43 NezzaNUFC // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:36 PM

My take on this window would be 50’50

For me…………

1 – New head coach
    2 – New coaching team

Winaldum, Tauvin and Chancel are superb signings but not to sure on Mitrovic ( I still prefer Perez to be our number 9 )

Cabella out on loan was a bad idea this would mean more time for Obertan on the right wing which why now we need 2 RW since we have Aarons and Tauvin on the LW.

Cisse, Tiote, Obertan, Willo, Marv, Gouffran and Dummet for me should of been sold on but mainly the reason they weren’t was to act as cover ( since we all know the injury history here )

At the moment we have a rotation squad which in my opinion can be crucial for us for instant…..

GK…… Krull, Elliott, Woodman, Darlow.

CB…… Colo, Willo, Lascelles, Taylor, Mbemba.

LB…… Haidara, Dummett.

RB…… Janmaat

CM…… Sissoko, Anita, Colback, Tiote

LW…… Aarons, Thauvin

RW…… Obertan

AMC……Wijnaldum, SDJ

ST…… Cisse, Perez, Riv, Gouffran, Mitrovic, Toney

With other players who can play in other roles we have a full rotation squad.

• 44 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:37 PM

TS…how are you doing mate?

I have to say I agree! Lets just hope we wont see an injury to either Mitro or Mbembe seeing as that will give us what we had last season at the back and the front!

• 45 Ketsbaia9 // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:37 PM

Berbatov and Yoann Gourcuff could be ok signings on frees.

• 46 lochinvar // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:37 PM

Phew – that Transfer window was far too close for comfort.
    Imagine if we had sent the paperwork through in time and ended up with Bale and Kane.
    What a disaster that would have been.
    Would never happen at a so called big club like Man Utd would it ?
    How the mighty are fallen !

• 47 Fatman_joe // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:38 PM

Lascelles will hopefully come good. Unlike kets I’ve seen and heard a fair bit about him and all of it promising.

• 48 Ketsbaia9 // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:38 PM

Wanting £8m for Dummett is an absolute joke. He’s worth peanuts.

• 49 toon kk // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:39 PM

Its funny how the poll on the previous thread most are happy with our busines, but a couple of games ago most were saying it was terrible because our defence wasn’t strengthened.

Personally im quite happy with our business apart from I think we took a massive gamble with Mitrovic, I’d rather had seen a bit more experience. What concerns me most is I’m a big fan of real pace and we lack it so much, poor scouting I think has always over looked it.
    Its going to be a long hard season I just hope we have enough to compete in the premier league.

• 50 GeordieTwo // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:39 PM

Or we could possibly finish 16th with heavy injuries. Very exciting Ashley.

• 51 Transfer Sage // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:39 PM

I understand we have spent 50mil which is good but other teams have bought really wisely as well.

There were plenty of decent players with league experience snapped up and plenty others from europe for good deals.

I’m disappointed we never went for van dijk from celtic in the end, from what I’ve seen he is a quality player. Would have also liked shaqiri who went to stoke. Lescott I think would have been a decent player on a two year contract to replace williamson or taylor.

Overall given how much we needed to improve I don’t think we’d done enough yet to significantly move up the table.

• 52 totsy // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:39 PM

Next 6 games anyone??

West Ham vs Newcastle – D
    Newcastle vs Watford -W
    Newcastle vs Chelsea -D
    Man City vs Newcastle -L
    Newcastle vs Norwich City -W
    Sunderland vs Newcastle -W

that’d put us on 13 points which is obviously not the type of height we’d hope to be hitting however this is the price we will have to pay for the new coaching staff to allow them time to integrate a new philosophy, which in the long run can only be beneficial

the next 9 games would be much more rewarding .

Newcastle vs Stoke City D
    Bournemouth vs Newcastle W
    Newcastle vs Leicester City D
    Crystal Palace vs Newcastle L
    Newcastle vs Liverpool L
    Tottenham vs Newcastle D
    Newcastle vs Aston Villa W
    Newcastle vs Everton W
    West Brom vs Newcastle W

ive been cautious with some but ambitious with others, potentially looking at being just short of 30 point mid way through the season with the scope to push on in the 2nd half

rome wasn’t built in a day

• 53 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:40 PM

Mark…keeping Bigi here (in the reserve) just doesn’t add up to me! Maybe no one wanted him.

…but I agree the young kids brought in were not good enough!

• 54 Jail for Ashley // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:45 PM

Willo to Boro for 1M and Lescott to us would have been a huge boost to the defence even if it was just for a season while good and Lascelles were assessed.

• 55 Transfer Sage // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:45 PM

Very well thank you, yourself?

Yeh exactly my thoughts, mitrovic looks like he is a red card waiting to happen, we now miss the lad for three games due to his suspension and with the referees reputation comes first so now he will never get the benefit of the doubt in tackles, same as players like tiote or cattermole.

And I agree on Mbemba, looks good but as you say if he is injured it’s Colo and Taylor/Willo which is not good.

Also it appears Mbemba is right back cover, so an injury to Janmaat will also mean a central partnership of Colo and Taylor/Willo as we never signed a back up right back.

• 56 Transfer Sage // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:49 PM

I agree 100%

That’s my problem with how we do transfers, look at all the players we bought, young unproven lads with the potential to double in value.

Lescott who would cost a couple of mil would be a solid player to either partner Mbemba or act as cover for the first two lads. However as he has no resale value the club don’t even consider him.

That’s why we get turned over so much in my opinion, too few players will real experience to drag the lads through and guide the kids.

• 57 welshgeordie9 // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:55 PM

I can’t believe some people on here.

Dear me

• 58 Transfer Sage // Sep 1, 2015 at 7:59 PM

Do explain? Not spoken to you here for a while.

See the swans are off to a good start and made some decent buys.

• 59 WWSBRD // Sep 1, 2015 at 8:02 PM

What is the point in Vuckic getting another deal?

• 60 toon kk // Sep 1, 2015 at 8:02 PM

There’s still a buy to sell regime at the club, MA has run us so far doon he had to be careful none of our best players left in the last window.
    I don’t know what to make of our scouting tbh, there’s often really good players to be had occasionally but because there’s no resale value we over look them.

• 61 welshgeordie9 // Sep 1, 2015 at 8:03 PM

Transfer Sage

How are you this evening

• 62 Transfer Sage // Sep 1, 2015 at 8:06 PM

toon kk

I don’t mind the buy to sell policy, lets be honest, most clubs now operate on that model.

I think the disappointing this is that it seems that is our only interest, as me and Jail said a player like lescott might have been a decent guy to get to cover willo, might have cost us money but would have potentially made it back with a being a single place higher in the league.

I can’t understand out stance on players like Gomis and Ayew, why are we after them so long, but then when available for free we seem to turn our noses up.

I’m very good sir, how about yourself?

• 63 welshgeordie9 // Sep 1, 2015 at 8:06 PM

It goes to show that transfer deadline day is rubbish, how many players today are panic buys and how many of those would you have at this club.

• 64 Tsunki // Sep 1, 2015 at 8:11 PM

I can just about stand a Charlie Austincle every three goes but my eye twitches when I see ‘ Rome wasn’t built in a day’ grrrrrrr…

In other news, belfast back from his camping holiday a G2 washes over the blog like a tidal wave of optimism. Business as usual 🙂

I voted Yay! Because I am happy our big-boned benefactor shelled out the readies in window 1 of 3. Plenty of time to be disappointed later.

• 65 Ibizatoon // Sep 1, 2015 at 8:14 PM

Tsunki….I wrote this and then thought, naahhh, can’t be bothered. But I’ll join you, as I’m still high on the excitement of deadline day….

I wonder what the expression used to be to tell people to be more patient, prior to Rome being built (obviously in more than one day)?

• 66 toon kk // Sep 1, 2015 at 8:18 PM

alot of players on a free will be probably over looked by MA because they usually demand higher wages.

• 67 Tsunki // Sep 1, 2015 at 8:18 PM

The Universe wasn’t built in 6 days?

• 68 WWSBRD // Sep 1, 2015 at 8:19 PM

Gomis and Ayew wanted too much money considering they were free mate, why we said no thanx

• 69 welshgeordie9 // Sep 1, 2015 at 8:19 PM

Transfer Sage

I’m not bad mate, just glad the window is over.

• 70 Mag52 // Sep 1, 2015 at 8:20 PM

Satisfied with the window ? Partly I suppose.
    McClaren has certainly got a stronger squad than we had before he came.
    The fact that, in spite of this, the defence still looks as if a couple of injuries/suspensions could see us in trouble back there.
    I wouldn’t say we’ve got a team to do much in the premiership. A quarter/semi final in one of the cup competitions is as good as we can hope for this season IMO.

• 71 Ibizatoon // Sep 1, 2015 at 8:20 PM

Tsunki…Now, don’t you go starting that sort of thing off. Not today, the day we can all finally say, without any doubt, that wor Mike came through on his promises. Ed said so. Don’t spoil it 🙂

And on the 7th day, he said there shall be no rest – Go build Rome or sort out NUFC…it’ll only take a day.

• 72 Tsunki // Sep 1, 2015 at 8:20 PM

The Windows over
    Time to call it a day,
    The windows over,
    Charlie is staying away….

• 73 Tsunki // Sep 1, 2015 at 8:21 PM

I’ll take the Rome thing.

• 74 Tsunki // Sep 1, 2015 at 8:23 PM

And so Ed looked upon the Ashley and saw that he was good as his word. And lo! He said ” let there be a cart” and there was a cart. And he said ” let there be bolts” and there well you get the idea with that..

• 75 martoon // Sep 1, 2015 at 8:24 PM

Like other people I am satisfied with this window assuming it is the first of 3 to rebuild the team – people have to realise with the transfer window system it is difficult to rebuild a team in one season.
    Many people saying we needed a commanding centre back – so what is Mbemba?

• 76 Tsunki // Sep 1, 2015 at 8:25 PM

Mag52 less of your doom talk I’ve got us down to win the league cup!

• 77 Tsunki // Sep 1, 2015 at 8:27 PM

What happened to G2? He slid off like a greased badger. I think his lass only allows him 15 minutes a day now.

• 78 Ibizatoon // Sep 1, 2015 at 8:28 PM

martoon….I think people mean another, to partner Mbemba.

Tbh, I wouldn’t have minded never seeing another one of our defenders again after last season.

The signs are better than usual. I’m not sure we exactly pushed the boat out or Lee worked his socks off during the window however. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to think more could have been done.

If the work continues though, and they don’t decide it’s okay to take a window or two off again at some stage, then we are at least moving in the right direction. Maybe.

• 79 Tsunki // Sep 1, 2015 at 8:29 PM

And so, as Willo was holding up the back stick, the defence was parted, and the opposition crossed through the penalty area……Ok I’ll stop now

• 80 Ibizatoon // Sep 1, 2015 at 8:30 PM

Tsunki…I think he embarrassed himself talking about 14th / 15th position. He’s having a word with himself and he’ll no doubt be back.

Winning the league cup? You did eat last windows jelly, didn’t you?

• 81 Tsunki // Sep 1, 2015 at 8:32 PM

it’s just a bit weird at the moment, the team is hardly gelling but there are promising signs of cooperation. Mitrovic is a loose cannon but if the daft marbles in his head finally settle he could be a real force. it’s hard to tell how the season will turn out it’s just too early, too many changes. But maybe January is SM’s ” fix things” window.

• 82 Munster Mag // Sep 1, 2015 at 8:32 PM

West ham have done great business. Antonio is a serious athlete and I have no doubt that they will now finish ahead of us this season. Out of interest can anyone see the Serbian nut job scoring more than 10-12 goals this season. Will he get more cards than goals? I think so.

• 83 Tsunki // Sep 1, 2015 at 8:33 PM

I did Ibiza I did I feel a bit wobbly.

• 84 Ibizatoon // Sep 1, 2015 at 8:39 PM

Tsunki…Much like Newcastle this season, I just dont know how this wobblyness will turn out.

On Mitrovich, it really is way too early to call. What we’re taking for hot headness, could (I am only suggesting here) just be an eagerness to impress the fanbase that loved Alan Shearer, his apparent hero?

Mind, he’s going to have to deal with it quickly or he wont be on the pitch long enough to impress.

Munster…Like the idea of a card vs goals count for the lad this season. I’m going to call it a draw. A card for every goal he scores (unless you’re going to award more goals for a red, than a yellow, in which case, I’m not sure I want to play anymore)

• 85 martoon // Sep 1, 2015 at 8:47 PM

Ibizatoon @ 78 – Yes I knew really I was being little facetious.
    Seriously thought, yes, the window could have been better but if you think of where we were towards the end of last season. If we had been offered a new coaching team and 4 quality new players with no ‘purples’ leaving then I think many would have snatched your hand off.

• 86 Bri // Sep 1, 2015 at 8:56 PM

Should’ve bought Austin instead of Mitrovic, atleast Austin has PL experience. Whereas Mitro is a big gamble and i haven’t been that impressed in what i have seen so far.
    But he, think of the sell on value if he turns out to be half decent.

• 87 Jail for Ashley // Sep 1, 2015 at 9:02 PM

Anybody perplexed at why a multi billionaire would not rather be associated with a winning club competing for the top spots only has to look at the deadline day SD advert, with every football fan in the country watching SSN, Mashers puts out an advert that a local carpet shop would put to shame, you do not need glamorous adverts to sell cheap, naff tatt.

• 88 Krul To Be Kind // Sep 1, 2015 at 9:04 PM

I think he is custom built for it! The required attributes would come back if he were to play it, he was a DO that run through teams with the ball.

I really think if either Colback or Anita had someone of his ilk beside them they would be more effective. I think they’re gonna have the Gerrard/Lampard problem where they are too similar to play effectively together

• 89 Tsunki // Sep 1, 2015 at 9:12 PM

Jail don’t forget the ‘Sportsdirectdotcom’ fanfare. Classy.

• 90 Lindisfarne // Sep 1, 2015 at 9:21 PM

From here on in, “We start making our own luck”.

I would argue that MA has successfully started to remedy the situation back to where we should be and started making Newcastle United a club once again. Still along way to go before any real advancement towards any prolonged achievement and the huge necessity to get the right man into the Academy with the target of promotion,

• 91 toon kk // Sep 1, 2015 at 9:37 PM

We have a long way to go, basically we’re just like newly promoted club having just escaped relegation, we’re more or less starting from scratch with the club being so far run down.
    Expect survival as a successful season.
    The new signings are a step in the right direction and will take time to settle in, well Mitrovic will.

• 92 potski // Sep 1, 2015 at 9:45 PM

Ed has overlooked two players in his list of comings/goings from the squad – Darlow and Lascelles. While Lascelles still has to show that he will be able to cut it in the PL, he may well develop into that commanding CB we want for the future. For right or wrong we still have Willo and Taylor until their contracts expire next summer. This gives Lascelles and Dummett a year to stake their claims to play, without much risk that an injury in the next couple of weeks could thrust them into first team straightaway.

However, the same situation doesn’t apply to Darlow. He not only came with a higher reputation, but I think he has already proved that he is a capable number 2 to Krul, and might even push him. Sorry to say it, but other than Mitro letting us down, the biggest disappointment to me at the weekend was Krul’s kicking, absolutely dreadful, especially when we needed to take the pressure off a bit. Why hoof it long when you only have Thauvin to aim at? And far too many went straight into touch.

Let’s not forget that last season slid away so badly once Alnwick had to be played in the PL. The defence lost all confidence that they had a keeper behind them who could support them. Injuries and bans compounded the situation, followed by Carver’s appalling tactics and man-management.

From Krul – Elliot – Alnwick
    To Krul – Darlow – Elliott
    Much better!

From Colo – Willo – Taylor – Dummett
    To those four plus Mbemba and Lascelles
    Better. Remember we even had games last season with Janmaat playing CB. I’m prepared to give the new coaching team the chance to develop two English CBs as the main backup to Mbemba and Colo. And if they feel that’s not going to work out, then they can go out and get someone else next summer.

Is the defence OK? No – at least a Perch or Raylor type utility player who can play at RB or LB would have been my preferred signing in the last week. There is no more cover there than last year. In fact, given we played a number of games with Raylor or Guti filling in at LB, then we are worse off in that position. Unless Steve has plans to play Aarons at LB, Bigi at RB as he tried in pre-season? They might work, but it hardly fills you with confidence if Janmaat gets seriously injured. It’s the most worrying position for me.

• 93 overtheline // Sep 1, 2015 at 9:50 PM

Well put kk. it really was a close run thing. But another quality defender would have been helpful, take the pressure off. and we really ought to be managing more than a big fat 0 shots on target.

• 94 SUTTY1978 // Sep 1, 2015 at 10:09 PM

We’ve loaned our best centre back out. Fergy was a revelation there in preseason. Millwall are lucky boys.

• 95 SUTTY1978 // Sep 1, 2015 at 10:12 PM

Potski, one thing i dod notice with Krul at the weekend was he came out to catch a couple of times which makes a change. Perhaps that was because Arsenal were playing with skinny shortarses that he could deal with. Perhaps the new GK coach has been working on that with him? Hopefully they move on to kicking sometime soon!

• 96 toon kk // Sep 1, 2015 at 10:13 PM

I’ve always rated Fergy but he’s never been given a fair crack compared to some other duds.

• 97 G // Sep 1, 2015 at 10:42 PM

Incredible, folks are disappointed that we haven’t sold our fringe bods? In order to sell, somebody has to be interested in buying them first (daily fail rumours and speculation don’t count). Of the new signings, Mitrovic looks like a complete liability, Thauvan looks weak and frightened, Chancel might be good but looks lost, and Wine Gum may well be our new icon for years to come? I have it on good authority that Spurs 15m offer for Perez was genuine, so assuming we don’t see him in tomorrow’s headline claiming devotion to sh!t ar$e lane, then kudos to the board, let’s face it, they couldn’t do it any worse than last year, could they??

• 98 jimmysmith // Sep 1, 2015 at 11:34 PM

It’s been a good window at face value, particularly if this is the first of a few reshaping the squad. We got the business done early, the players are young and ready to play, and the later addition Thauvin looks like he can go past players and has good delivery and control.

Terms like “liability”, “loose canon” and “lumbering oaf” don’t hold water regarding Mitrovic at this early stage. As a player he looks formidable and skilful, but of course he has to score and he has to stay on the pitch and be available for selection. You need to give him at least the same amount of time as you’re prepared to give McClaren and the side, and considering his age and combative nature I’m prepared to give him even a little more.

• 99 jayphoto // Sep 2, 2015 at 12:11 AM

Think Steven Taylor is a bit underrated on here! He’s actually a really decent defender when fit! 2 years ago his form gor him into the England set up and last year his form coincided with 6 wins in a row. The problem is very much so that he is injured far too often.
    If he stays fit then for me with mbemba and colo, possibly Dummett and lascelles we’ve got enough centrally.
    Colo and mbemba have looked more assured each time theyve played too.
    Seen enough of Lascelles last season to think he may not be ready, but can he really be worse than Willo?? In the air hes on par with andy carroll. Doesn’t lose out ever.

• 100 jayphoto // Sep 2, 2015 at 12:15 AM

Ideally i think we’ll see gini drop back into a #8 role and Siem de jong or Perez come in as #10.
    Ginis engine against arsenal was unbelievable, its the role he played alot in Holland too. Can be a great box to box.
    Eventually i think Colback might become a swuad player. Liking Anita under SM. still think an on form tiote probably starts but he’s going to have to work really hard to get in the side. Its been too long since we saw him at full fitness and form.

• 101 Bobbybee // Sep 2, 2015 at 12:22 AM

I personally am pretty pleased with the window and just as pleased with spending it over three windows, rather than one. You never know how players will play for a new manager, or how well they get on with each other for that matter. Then there’s long term injuries or players getting their heads turned. This way, if either a new lad isn’t working, or you ‘ve changed your mind about one you kept, you can change it. Buy them all at once and if three don’t work – for whatever reason – you’ve still money left to replace them. Building a team over three windows makes far more sense imo . This time next year is the time for real judgement, but until then, I’d go with ‘so far, so good’.

• 102 Bobbybee // Sep 2, 2015 at 12:25 AM

No money left ffs 🙂

• 103 Mister Tuff // Sep 2, 2015 at 12:34 AM

I think the transfer window can only really be assessed on a “so far basis”. Decent enough players signed so far. However as Wally has suggested it is going to take 3 windows (a year) to get the right team- and he’s probably correct in saying that there is a safe limit as to how many people you can bring in at once. Hence we will probably not see the best of the players for at least a year,
    Hailing Mr Tubbs as a hero because he is spending is repugnant – it is money that should have be invested previously. Smacks of the ground name change stunt or thanking the kidnapper- rapist as a good bloke because he returned your missus instead of killing her. Opinions can change so fast on here with just the promise of a few scraps/morsels.

• 104 Magpie Season // Sep 2, 2015 at 12:43 AM

Southampton landed Virgil Van Dijk (11.5mil) & Steven Caulker (loan).

We couldn’t get 1 of the 2?

Especially Caulker, forgot about him. Would have been very useful & on loan too.

• 105 Magpie Season // Sep 2, 2015 at 12:47 AM

This was the best window since season before we finished 5th when Cabaye, Ba, etc came in.

But, I will still vote ‘NO’ in the poll.

…….because Williamson is still here.

• 106 jimmysmith // Sep 2, 2015 at 12:52 AM

I also think we are probably ok at the back. Taylor is more than capable, and Willo and Dummett are decent 4th and 5th choices. It’s dependant on injuries and timing of injuries. We don’t want either of those two against Aguerro for example, but given we know Willo’s days are numbered, as are Taylor’s if he can’t stay fit, and that Mbemba does look good, I think this period of transition at the back is being managed pretty well, and of course the side is being coached to defend in banks of four to protect it.

• 107 SPRINGY // Sep 2, 2015 at 1:05 AM

been a decent transfer window for me imo…im glad no one has left at least macca can have a good look these players and see if any of his amazing coaching abilities(pundits views) can get out of them then if not in january and the summer they’ll be gone…..cant and wont slag of any players with them teams and situations we’ve had to start the season…..everything is new will take time to gel…and i hope vuckic gets a full season and impresses coz he’s not had much look with injuries so hard to judge what he can do or cant

• 108 SPRINGY // Sep 2, 2015 at 1:07 AM

ano vuckic is goin out on loan but needs to play a full season

• 109 Bobbybee // Sep 2, 2015 at 1:17 AM

Mr tuff, your comparisons are amusing, but completely over the top. I’m not saying he was being honest – only he knows that – when he appeared on sky, so I’m not getting carried away, just as I don’t get carried away the other way. That’s me. I know I’ll still go regardless because I’m not interested in politics. I’m a football fan and if I ever get sick of it, I’ll stop going. Right now, the past is gone and can’t be changed so I let it go. Right now we’ve got a new a new manager who is honest and open. He talks to us. Good. I like that. A new, ambitious young coach alongside him with an upgrade beyond them. We’ve spent £50m on quality players, three who have looked to slip into the PL immediately. Too early to judge due to red cards and tough opposition, but we look well organised and Macca still not decided on his strongest team – understandably. We have another 100m to spend. Like that too. Is it time he stumped it up? Yes. Finally, things are loking up. I don’t have to like the man to like the changes, I can just enjoy the changes without giving him a second thought. It’s football that matters to me and nothing more. We would have grabbed the sheikh’s oil money without a murmer, yet that’s money built on misery and repression. THAT’S why I don’t do polictics in football. I’m going to enjoy it whilst it lasts.

• 110 Bobbybee // Sep 2, 2015 at 1:23 AM

Springy, with ya on Vuckic, I reckon there’s a good player in there too. A season on loan just might surprise a few.

• 111 ilovetoon8788 // Sep 2, 2015 at 1:40 AM

40 points must still be the target for us. We can get relegated still if we don’t pick up points against the bottom 6 sides.

• 112 cyprus // Sep 2, 2015 at 6:04 AM

So now we know who we have.

Over to Steve and his team, to get us playing football. We should now be competitive I think, and able to beat anyone bar City on our day.

We should have at least 16 regularly playing footballers, 11 just isn’t enough these days:

Jan, Mbemba, Colo, Haidi,
    Wigi, Sock, Thauvin,

This is possibly our best 11, but people like SDJ (can he play football?), Rivi (could come good), Cisse (reloaded), Aarons, etc (but not including Obertan) must also be very regularly played.

Like I said, many players need to feel like first teamers. At least 16 but ideally like 20.

PS. In my first 11, surprisingly, Janm seems poor this year, to the point that a competitor, a faster player, needs to be recruited. FBs need to be fast as they have wingers to deal with, traditionally the fastest players on the pitch. Hope he picks it up.

• 113 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Sep 2, 2015 at 6:04 AM

Lets see in January whether this a good or (as suspected) s not do good window!

…regardless it’s a window where the club takes yet another gamble on our defense and leaves us short on goals up front!

• 114 cyprus // Sep 2, 2015 at 6:06 AM

On Janm, maybe when Colo moves out he’d be better as a CB with Mbemba, as he’s a good footballer and not so much pace is needed there.

• 115 The overrated Frenchman // Sep 2, 2015 at 6:33 AM

This is what I don’t understand. The money is to be made in football these days by having a team in the Premier League. The new TV deals assure that. You don’t need to play in the CL. If Ashley had spent one season’s worth of PL money more this window he would have a team that could realistically be a fixture for three, four, five seasons. As it is, he has a team most likely to be scrapping around the bottom again. The money spent this window gives us a chance of surviving relegation, no better. We needed six, seven, eight new faces to replace the players who were proven to be not up to the task last season. And if anyone thinks McClaren is some sort of messiah, just have a look at the table. And if I keep hearing about our “tough run” to start the season I am going to be sick. There is no “easy run” in the PL these days. Every team is where they deserve to be on the table, and that includes us.

• 116 Ron Knee // Sep 2, 2015 at 6:44 AM

I agree. I was thinking we needed at least six new quality players to replace the under-performers.

Apart from Colback, when was the last time we bought a player with PL experience?

• 117 Toon-Prodigy // Sep 2, 2015 at 6:50 AM

Im quite happy.

I’v got faith in the back 4 and the cover we have at the moment apart from Haidara. The defence will either be sorted out in January or the summer, Colo and Williamson will be gone I would think. The rest of the dead wood will also be out of the door in Obertan and Gouffran. Im not sure what will happen with Riviere as it’s still early in his Toon career.

So long as we fix the few remaining problems we have in the next window or two and bring in upgrades, I think we will be fine. And also keep our better players, this is a must. If we have no choice but to sell then there should be ready made players to come in STRAIGHT away, not cheap imports at half the price.

We should be looking to progress, not derail campaigns with selling and not replacing, or gambling with cheap imports constantly to bring in a nice resale. You get what you pay for so if we lose someone for 15 mil then that is exactly what we should be paying to replace him, or more.

So long as we don’t have an injury crisis like the past few years we should be OK. It’s when we have 3-4-5 1st team players out we go on shocking runs.

Bring it on, im optimistic now that I know we have kept and built on what we had for the first time in a while. Like I mentioned earlier though I hope Ashley dosn’t pull a stunt in January, I’ll be cautious with the bloke for a long long time yet.

• 118 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 2, 2015 at 6:58 AM

What we have done has been good, but I’m not convinced we have done enough. 1 or 2 more is not an unreasonable request, and would have put us in a stronger position moving forward.

Really, if we are working on a three window basis, the third window should be just fine tuning. Instead it looks likely to be a further overhaul. If we spend big and well in January – unlikely given the right player at the right price philosophy – then we may have a more settled squad,at the start of next season.

Mitrovic’s suspension leaves us with last seasons attack. One injury to Mbemba leaves us with the same back line as last year. Good start, but not enough done.

• 119 Sir Braveheart // Sep 2, 2015 at 7:16 AM

Steve said three windows to get the squad where it needs to be. Spend another 10m in January (offset by selling a few fringe players) and have a similar big summer next year with 4 more first teamers in and it will be a success.

If this window is the exception and we’re going back to our miserly ways then it’s not enough.

You cant judge this window in isolation, its a good start but means nothing if it’s not followed up.

Three windows to get us back there. This is a good start.

• 120 Toon-Prodigy // Sep 2, 2015 at 7:24 AM

The only worry I have is that Cisse could still leave yet which could be a disaster up until Christmas for us.

The UAE Arabian Gulf window dosn’t close until September 21st and there is talk of an interest and a good pay day for Cisse.

Relying on Mitrovic and Riviere as our only forwards until January fills me with fear. Perez can do a job there but I don’t think he is 100% ready to lead the line.

• 121 Ron Knee // Sep 2, 2015 at 7:28 AM

We’ve made some good signings but the overriding consideration continues to be re-sale potential. In the end, this is a risky strategy and severely limits options.

• 122 mindshaft // Sep 2, 2015 at 7:29 AM

Ayew & Gomis both insisted on 7 million buy out clauses , much the same as Ba insisted on – it gives them a lot more leverage for a ‘signing on fee’ , higher wages
    Ashley was stung by Ba and didn’t want to get turned over again hence we didn’t sign them up

• 123 sing in the corner // Sep 2, 2015 at 7:41 AM

Anyone else who was at the game v WBA Christmas 2011 can see that in Vuckic we have a special talent on our books. He was by far the best player on the pitch that night. He could have had a hat trick of goals from outside the box and another inside if he’d had any luck on another day. He played in a similar fashion for Rangers, albeit in a backwater league. The goals he scored for them are well crafted, well finished.
    SM could be the coach that finally brings him through?

• 124 JamesToon // Sep 2, 2015 at 7:49 AM

Sir brave heart

I have a feeling McClaren has something he put in his contract about spending money, hence why he keeps talking about this 18 month plan.

• 125 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 2, 2015 at 7:59 AM

Given that just a week or so ago Vuckic came out and told the press McClaren had told him he was surplus to requirements then I doubt it. I imagine this, and the same with Sammi is just an attempt to increase their value for a sale next summer, or even to agree a permanent deal in Jan.

Shame, Vuckic clearly has ability. He is back at a League 1 club now, like he was 2/3 years ago. There has been zero progression in terms of his loans, and I can’t see him getting a chance here now.

previous post: Poll: Are You Satisfied With This Summer’s Transfer Window?

next post: Newcastle Star – It’s Still Like A Dream – I Can’t Believe It